Sunday, December 14, 2014

KU football picks up 5 commitments from busy weekend

Kansas University football recruiting.

Kansas University football recruiting.

Last week, during his first week on the job, Kansas University football coach David Beaty wasted no time in hitting the recruiting trail. This weekend, with 11 prospects making official visits to campus, a few future Jayhawks rewarded that effort by wasting little time committing to Kansas.

Wide receiver Emmanuel Moore, a 6-foot, 190-pound two-star prospect from Northwest High in Justin, Texas, got things started with an oral commitment on Saturday night. Moore's commitment was first reported by Jon Kirby of JayhawkSlant.com.

Moore previously had committed to North Texas but chose Kansas because of his bond with Beaty. The big, physical wideout also drew interest from SMU and Minnesota.

Sunday morning, word surfaced about two more commitments from the Class of 2015, as Trinity Valley (Texas) Community College offensive lineman D'Andre Banks and Hillcrest High athlete Arico Evans, from Dallas, announced their commitments via Twitter.

Banks, a 6-3, 325-pound guard, told Kirby he had de-comitted from Louisiana-Lafayette and picked Kansas.

"I just called ULL and told them I am going to be a Jayhawk," Banks told Kirby. "Coach Beaty is a great guy and has a plan for the program. I want to be a part of it. The facilities are excellent and it feels like a tight-knit community."

A little later in the day, Evans, on Twitter, posted a photo of himself with Beaty and said he had picked Kansas.

“I have officially committed to the University of Kansas,” Evans wrote. “Let's change this program around!”

Evans, a 6-2, 190-pound, two-star prospect ranked by Rivals.com as an “athlete,” had offers from KU, Indiana, New Mexico, New Mexico State, TCU, Texas Tech and Troy. This week was the first time KU reached out to him, but Evans said his high school coach's close relationship with Beaty made him want to give KU a look.

Evans played quarterback for Hillcrest this fall but could play a number of positions in college. He told Kirby that the KU coaching staff told him he could play wherever he wanted to play.

Early Sunday afternoon, Jace Sternberger, a two-star defensive end from Kingfisher (Oklahoma) High also committed to Beaty and KU.

Sternberger, a 6-4, 225-pound prospect who also played tight end, picked KU over offers from New Mexico, Sam Houston State and South Dakota. He also had received interest from Kansas State, Memphis, Oklahoma State and Tulsa.

Given that two of this weekend's 11 visitors already had committed to KU — wide receiver Kevin Thomas and quarterback Ryan Willis — KU now has landed commitments from four of the other nine guys who made the trip.

Late Sunday afternoon, KU picked up a commitment from a player who had yet to visit. According to JayhawkSlant, cornerback Shaquille Richmond, from Timeberview High in Arlington, Texas, telephoned Beaty to let him know he wanted to be a Jayhawk. Richmond had planned to visit KU and Louisville in January, but the 6-foot, 180-pound defensive back told Beaty his in-home visit with Reggie Mitchell convinced him that Kansas was the place for him.

"I trust coach Mitchell and coach Beaty and what they're doing with the program," Richmond told Kirby. "They told me they like my physical play and my speed. My mom was good with it. She's at peace after our home visit with coach Mitchell."

KU's commitment list in the Class of 2015 is now up to 17, leaving room for seven or eight more guys. This was the final weekend of the current recruiting period and college football will now enter a four-week dead period before recruiting can pick up again.

Stay tuned in to Kusports.com for more updates.

Comments

Ashwin Rao 5 years ago

Impressive! Now let us get a creative coaching staff during the "dead period"!

Randy Bombardier 5 years ago

I don't want to read any comments dissing these recruits comparing us to other schools. I'm amazed at how even professional scouts are frequently wrong. I'm amazed at how many busts there are in the nfl. We have to do a better job finding less sought after talent and then a better job evaluating who's ready to play, better job developing players. I want the less sought after guy with a real love of the game, drive and a natural talent.

Andy Hess 5 years ago

Make it 5. Shaquille Richmond committed today as well, and didn't even take a visit.

Kevin Randell 5 years ago

I have come to find this rating system has zero validity when it comes to judging a players heart and work ethic. I remember another poster saying Talib was a 2 star athlete? And where is he today?...oh ya right! I think the one comment that stood out to me was Evans comment of, “Let's change this program around!”. I think a great selling point for this program is this. You can go to OU, Texas, and other schools like that, but if you come to KU, not only do you have a GREAT opportunity to start and show your talents off to scouts, but.....you have a chance to build something special. You can hang your hat on the fact YOU were part of the team that finally turned this program around. I know there's a lot of work ahead, but this Alumni and fan is behind you! Rock Chalk guys!

Len Shaffer 5 years ago

On another article, someone asked the question of what exactly it means when it's mentioned that someone has "drawn interest" from other programs.

Matt, could you clarify what that generally refers to?

Thanks.

Micky Baker 5 years ago

Matt answered this a day or two ago. It is if the head coach, a member of the coaching staff, or one of the school's scouts has visited to watch a player play. It also means if a player has received an offer or has been invited to make an unofficial visit. It also means that someone from the university has contacted the family or the player in one way or another expressing interest.

Robert Brown 5 years ago

The rating system has flaws. An athlete who commits to OU or UT might get an additional star than if he committed to a program like KU. For KU to succeed, it comes down to development. I like that we are going after high school kids who will be here for four or five years. No quick fixes.

While te list may not overwhelm recruiting analysts, it looks like Beaty's connections with Texas high school coaches is paying off.

Randy Bombardier 5 years ago

Yes. Recruit four year players, keep the same staff for four years and by the time they're seniors they'll be bowl eligible at minimum. I'd wager my house on it. Back in 1981 I was living with my best friend in Manhattan while he attended kstate. This was one of their better pre-Snyder years. Don't remember the coach but he came in and took a class of freshmen, started them all four years. We went to the game against Ou and couldn't believe it. This was back during the triple option days. Kstate led at halftime 28-0. They were in the game till the last. The speed of Ou was too much. Not outstanding coach or players but they had tons of experience. We have better players. If we did thst we might very well win the conference.

Aaron Paisley 5 years ago

Jumping into the recruiting pool this late in the game with a new staff when it's not a program that sells itself means you basically have to take what you can get in the first recruiting class. Beaty's fate as a coach will rest on his assistant coaches abilities to develop the players. Player development is far more important for a program like KU than recruiting because KU isn't going to land the highest caliber recruits except for the occasional top level local recruit.

Robert Brown 5 years ago

Yo think you are talking about Jim Dickey who's redshirted all of the best players even seniors and the next year K-State got its first ever bowl bid. That was some time in the early 1980s.

Jim Stauffer 5 years ago

I understand we need to accept lower ranked guys right now. I will be more interested in next year's class to see if we can upgrade talent on the roster.

Jeff Dean 5 years ago

Thanks for your input. Troll much?

Bill Kackley 5 years ago

Randy (Mr negative) doesn't want to hear any negative comments about these recruits. Lol

Randy Bombardier 5 years ago

Its one thing to criticize administrators and coaches making big bucks. Its quite another to do so with young amateur athletes. Think about that awhile and perhaps you'll get it.

Mike Barnhart 5 years ago

These guys were also 2 star recruits in high school: Anthony Collins, Ryan Cantrell, Dexton Fields, Aquib Talib, Joe Mortensen, Charlton Keith, James Holt and Cesar Rodriguez.

Oh yeah, they also started for Kansas during the Orange Bowl season.

(For what it's worth (nothing): Jake Heaps and Dayne Crist were both 5 star QB's in high school!)

Dirk Medema 5 years ago

That's 3 JC OG's but only 1 OT.

2 DT's, 1 JC & 1 HS, but no DE's

Those seem like the 2 big holes in the class IMO.

Kevin Robert Fest 5 years ago

Right now Beaty is trying to build relationships with hs coaches looking at recruits the hs coach feels has been over looked. So if Beaty gives them a legit look or even an offer the recruit, in the future when the hs coach has a 3 4 5 * guy he can steer the recruit to KU knowing that Beaty is a coach that has the players best interest at heart. If Beaty has strong ties to hs coaches the coaches can be an influence to the recruit as we have already seen this past weekend. Right now its still up in the air KU has had 3 coaches in 5 years not model of stability to recruits, give Beaty some time to build things up and I'm sure KU can get solid 3-4* guys.

Bill Kackley 5 years ago

Are Kiesau and Campo remaining on staff, I hope so?

Lance Meier 4 years, 12 months ago

What needs to happen and it seems the new coach is doing it. REPAIR THE DAMAGE DONE BY THE LAST TWO COACHES!!! Get back to the High Schools, even if Beaty does not sign a kid from every school he visits, this leads to a greater relationship in the future. I heard from wies' time at ND, he pissed off in-roads to certain High Schools, said, he was not welcomed back at all... Now, he does that while coach at ND, why not do it here, I do not know why he would mess something up that had produced players for ever... Now, I believe while he is a good decent coach, he had this H U G E F in chip on his shoulder that said, I'm F in Charlie Weis and I can out coach U!!! He would not change a thing at half, he ran about a total of 4 damn plays, TERRIBLE. It seemed he was going to beat the DC from the other team cause, HE'S Charlie Weis... That has killed KU, I hoped Weis was going to do some stuff at KU that needed to B done, some rebuilding then pass the program on to a HC in waiting, BEATY is that guy, I HOPE!!! Good Luck coach RCJH!!!