Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Download podcast

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

Perry Ellis and Andrew Wiggins postgame interviews vs. Duke

Perry Ellis and Andrew Wiggins postgame interviews vs. Duke

Download podcast

— Kansas University has one possible McDonald’s All-American in the fold — with three others to announce their college choices on Friday — as the weeklong early signing period for high school basketball players begins today.

Kelly Oubre, a 6-foot-7, 200-pound senior shooting guard from Findlay Prep in Henderson, Nev., orally committed to KU on Oct. 8. Oubre, Rivals.com’s No. 12-rated player in the recruiting Class of 2014, chose KU over Kentucky and Florida.

Oubre — who was born and raised in New Orleans, before moving to Richmond, Texas, with his dad after Hurricane Katrina hit when he was in fourth grade — is off to a great start his senior season at the Nevada prep school.

He has averaged 23.0 points and 7.4 rebounds a game for Findlay Prep (5-0) with single-game highs of 29 points and 12 boards thus far this season.

“S/O to the Kansas fam tomorrow taking on Duke in Chi-Town, my savages ready to eat greedy !!! #RockChalk,” Oubre tweeted on Monday.

KU will announce Oubre’s signing upon receipt of his letter of intent.

Kansas is also in the running for three players who will announce their decisions on Friday. They are No. 1 Jahlil Okafor, 6-10 from Chicago’s Whitney Young High; No. 4 Cliff Alexander, 6-8 from Chicago’s Curie High; and No. 5 Tyus Jones, 6-1 from Apple Valley (Minn.) High. Jones and Okafor have said all along they will be choosing the same school. It’s believed they are down to KU and Duke. Alexander has a final four of KU, Illinois, Memphis and DePaul. His girlfriend attends KU.

KU, by the way, officially has one scholarship to award in recruiting. Tarik Black is the only senior scholarship player on the team. However, freshman Andrew Wiggins is a certain one-and-done to the NBA. Also, freshmen Joel Embiid and Wayne Selden are possible one-and-dones, and sophomore Perry Ellis is considered a possible early exit after this season. There’s also always the possibility of transfers opening up scholarships.

Three Jayhawks on list: KU’s Andrew Wiggins, Wayne Selden and Joel Embiid have been named to the Wooden Award preseason top 50 list, the Los Angeles Athletic Club announced Tuesday.

Pizza is delicious here: Chicago is known for its pizza. This raises the question ... deep dish pie or thin crust?

“Eh ... deep dish,” said KU sophomore Jamari Traylor, a former Chicago Julian High player whose long pause suggests he likes both kinds of pizza.

“You are in Chicago, you have to go deep dish, right?” said KU coach Bill Self, who is from Oklahoma, but coached three seasons at the University of Illinois.

K’s kind of town: Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski is a graduate of Chicago’s Weber High, which closed in 1999 because of declining enrollment.

“I love Chicago. It’s my hometown,” Krzyzewski said. “I have a lot of friends and relatives (there). Chicago is the second-biggest Polish city in the world population-wise — Warsaw and Chicago. Think of the ticket requests I have.”

Tourney continues: Self is glad the Champions Classic has been renewed another three years, with KU playing Kentucky next year in Indianapolis.

“It’s a great deal for all four teams. I know it is for us,” Self said. “It’s a marquee doubleheader to tip off every season. I don’t know where else you could go and have four of the top five teams in the country all playing the second game of the season together. It’s good for everybody.”

Naadir Tharpe on the significance of playing Duke in such a big game: “This is going to get us prepared for when the season goes longer — the Big 12, Big 12 tournament, later on in the season. Every play matters. You can’t take any plays off.”

Comments

Steve Zimmerman 11 months, 2 weeks ago

"Every play matters. You can’t take any plays off.” - Tharpe - Like it.

Jeff Darby 11 months, 2 weeks ago

"KU’s Andrew Wiggins, Wayne Selden and Joel Embiid have been named to the Wooden Award preseason top 50 list" What about Ellis??? I think that he will be our best and most consistent player this year. Oh well, great win either way. Rock Chalk Jayhawks!!!

Craig Kristi Alexander 11 months, 2 weeks ago

Ellis doesn't get a ton of press on the national level which is fine. I like the idea that teams get to know his name when he can't be stopped!

Jonathan Allison 11 months, 2 weeks ago

Interpretation, please.

Billy Smith 11 months, 2 weeks ago

Translated- Hello to my fellow KU fans and future teammates. I notice you guys will be competing in a game against Duke in Chicago, Illinois. My future teammates are thoroughly prepared and anxious for game time.

Cameron Cederlind 11 months, 2 weeks ago

"I would like to give a shout out to the Kansas players, who will be playing Duke in Chicago tomorrow. My future teammates are ready to score more points than necessary to win the game!!!"

Jonathan Allison 11 months, 2 weeks ago

Thanks guys. The "Shout Out" abbr. should have been obvious, but I whiffed on it.

Jonathan Allison 11 months, 2 weeks ago

I'm constantly mystified by the recruiting landscape.

Someone please explain how we were the favorite for Cliff Alexander, and now everyone says that he's Illinois bound. Is it because we've kept recruiting 'Lil and Tyus? And yet, everyone thinks that 'Lil and Tyus are not in the cards because Tyus has too much competition at PG.

Yet, the timing of their announcements leads people to believe that they want to share the moment. Share the spotlight. They don't want to kill the hype. Which leads to suspicion that they could end up in the same place. However, the masses seem to be thinking that they could all three be in different conferences next season.

My feeble mind can't handle it. We could land all three, or none. We could land 'Lil w/o Tyus. Could we land Tyus w/o 'Lil?

My head asplode.

Tony Bandle 11 months, 2 weeks ago

Well..the only common denominator for all three is Kansas.

Jahlil, Tyus, Kelly and Cliff. Jesum Crow, that would be one hell of a recruiting class!!!

You never know..after all, aerodynamically, a bumble bee shouln't be able to fly and Keith Richards, Ozzie Osborne and Lindsey Lohan are still alive!!

Jonathan Allison 11 months, 2 weeks ago

Agreed, Oak. KU is only common denominator, which means that in a numbers game, we have the highest probability of success, and our BEST case is better than anyone else's best case.

However in the fuzzy math world of college recruiting, could the fact that we are on all three lists increase the probability of us striking out on all three? Too much competition making us unfavorable...

Sandeep Kalburgie 11 months, 2 weeks ago

I am worried about KU's 2014 recruiting situation ... NOT. In Self I trust even if we lose out on Tyus/ Jahlil/Cliff.

Jacob Zutterman 11 months, 2 weeks ago

Someone explain to me how this works because I been mystified by recruiting at times. If we have one scholarship player leaving, how can a university hand out a scholarship or two more than what they have (if 2 or 3 of them commit to Kansas Friday) without guaranteeing more players are leaving? I'm sure Wiggins will be gone which will open up another slot, but how can we be so sure that Embiid, Selden and/or Ellis will leave early? Ellis is a straight A student that everyone though would stay the four years to get his degree when he came. Selden isn't a standout (statistically, not that he isn't ready now) and Embiid has a LONG ways to go before he is READY for the pros.

Benz Junque 11 months, 2 weeks ago

Either Selden or Embiid will be gone after this year, ready or not. The NBA is drooling over getting their hands on these guys. One or both will be gone. They don't have to be ready to play in the NBA right now or even in a year. Their ceiling's are too high for NBA teams to wait a year to get their draft rights.

Eric Dawson 11 months, 2 weeks ago

Black leaves for certain. (1) Wiggins has said he is leaving. (2) We cannot be sure of any others, but NBA scouts are all drooliing over Embiid, and if Selden continues to play as he did last night he will be a high projection as well. I believe that after this season Perry Ellis will have passed them all except perhaps Wiggins. Then there are always transfer possibilities, if a guy really wants playing time and he can see he is not going to get it at KU.

It's not an ideal situation at all, but it is the world Self & Co have to live and work in.

Jacob Zutterman 11 months, 2 weeks ago

I guess this doesn't answer my question. I realize these guys are going to go, ready or not, but how can a university allow 2-4 commitments this year with only a guaranteed one scholarship available?

Brian Mensch 11 months, 2 weeks ago

quite simply...basketball scholarships are "guaranteed" for 1 year at a time; thus they will have to be renewed. For instance, last year Wesley was on scholly, this year it went to one of the newcomers. Theoretically, the coach can offer as many as he wants up to 13. Of course, if he does that just once, the coach will have a real hard time with recruiting later on.

Chris Bailey 11 months, 2 weeks ago

I really can't see Ellis leaving after this year. He's a smart kid. I think he'll play three and graduate after the third year. Just my take but I think that is very likely. I don't think Embiid should go either. He's way to raw. He needs to play 3 years here and develop. The only two I see leaving are Black, which we know for sure since his eligibility will be used up, and Wiggins he's already declared. I'm not sure anyone else is truly ready. Ellis needs to get bigger and I think he knows that. He's a very smart kid. If he leaves I will be shocked and again Embiid really needs to stay. I'm not being selfish I just think those guys need more development. I'm not sure AW3 won't transfer at the end of the year. That kind of scares me. Hopefully he sticks it out. We've got a great player in Mason too!

John Fitzgerald 11 months, 2 weeks ago

Mason is an all out baller. I'd rather have him than Tyus. He'll have a year under his belt and hopefully will have a Big 12 championship and a deep run in the tourney. Mason is good and has the potential to be great. As for jahil? We could use him but we don't need him. I'd rather see us get Cliff and have Ellis stay for one more year. I could even see Selden stay for another year which would make us lethal yet again.

Joe Ross 11 months, 2 weeks ago

In this age of recruiting and the impact of OAD players, you have to get everyone you can. As last night shows, these phenoms DO impact on big games!

Benz Junque 11 months, 2 weeks ago

Even if we get none of these three guys, there are still a llot of elite prospects that have KU high on their list. We won't have any unused schollies next year, that's for sure. Any additions to next year's class are gravy at this point.

Robert Brock 11 months, 2 weeks ago

Meh. Ellis returns. Traylor returns. Embiid returns. We are OK.

Jeff Kilgore 11 months, 2 weeks ago

Respectfully, Embiid is rated #3, or at least that's what was said. The NBA doesn't wait, even if they should. One GM will take him at the fear of another GM taking him and making him look bad in the future.

John Fitzgerald 11 months, 2 weeks ago

So, I was bored today and decided to do some recon on Tyus's, Cliff's, and Jahlil's twitter accounts. A few things I noticed:

1.) Tyus has a picture of him and his brother with Justise Winslow and Winslow is wearing a KU sweatshirt. He doesn't have any other pictures on his twitter referencing any other school.

2.) Jahlil has a picture on his Twitter with his dad posing with Bill Self. Again, he also doesn't have any other pictures referencing any other schools.

3.) As I looked at Cliff's twitter one of his retweets stood out to me. It's an apology from someone that wrote an article and the writer apparently mentions that Cliff and Jahlil won't play together. He goes on to say that "Mr. Okafor did NOT say they won't attend same school. My error." This was one day ago and both Cliff and Jahlil were tagged in the tweet.

Yes I have too much time on my hands but I was bored and wanted to be productive. Anyways, judging by this and their announcement times, I predict they all choose KU. If I'm wrong, oh well, we will still be awesome next year. I'm confident in my prediction though. RCJH and hell of a win last night guys!

John Fitzgerald 11 months, 2 weeks ago

Also just to note, I haven't added them on twitter and I'm not a twitter professional so the picture scenario could be that since I haven't followed them I'm not able to see all of the pictures. Either way, I'm sticking with my prediction.