Monday, March 4, 2013

Notebook: Kevin Young delivers one-liners in speech; top recruit Andrew Wiggins visits

Kansas recruit Andrew Wiggins watches from behind the bench during the second half, Monday, March 4, 2013 at Allen Fieldhouse.

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

KU coach Bill Self talks after win over Texas Tech

Kansas coach Bill Self talks after his team's 79-42 win over Texas Tech on March 4, 2013.

Download podcast

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

KU coach Bill Self talks after win over Texas Tech

Download podcast

Kevin Young resembled a stand-up comedian as he took the microphone for the first of four Senior Night speeches following Monday’s 79-42 rout of Texas Tech in Allen Fieldhouse.

“I had a long speech prepared. It got lost in my hair,” senior forward Young said, patting his afro and drawing laughs from the 16,300 who stuck around for postgame senior speeches.

“I can touch my toes now,” he added in thanking trainer Andrea Hudy for her work with him the past two seasons.

All four seniors needed only three minutes apiece to thank God, their family members, coaches, teammates, managers, trainers and support staff members.

“Without her (Hudy) I couldn’t be, ‘Too Strong,’’’ Elijah Johnson said with a smile. “There’s no place to play like Kansas.”

To the fans, Travis Releford said: “You kept me going. I struggled early my red-shirt season and had thoughts of leaving like any normal kid would. To be here, running out of the tunnel and getting chills ... it’s the best place to be.”

Jeff Withey thanked the student section as well, concluding with “Rock Chalk.”

Ben recognized, too: KU coach Bill Self opened the speech portion of the event by asking the fans to recognize freshman Ben McLemore, who likely played his final game in Allen.

“We’ve not talked about it. He may come back. He may not. He deserves one loud ovation from the fans in Allen Fieldhouse,” Self said.

The fans gave McLemore a standing ovation and chanted, “One More Year.”

“Don’t hold your breath on that,” Self told the fans.

Honorees: KU’s Elijah Johnson on Monday was named Big 12 player of the week and Ben McLemore rookie of the week.

Johnson averaged 25.5 points, 8.5 assists and 5.0 rebounds in wins over Iowa State (108-96 in overtime) and West Virginia (91-65). He had a career-high 39 points against Iowa State and 10 assists versus West Virginia. McLemore averaged 21.5 points and 5.0 rebounds. He had 36 points versus West Virginia.

Big 12 POY: Self on Monday said KU’s McLemore and Withey should be in the conversation for Big 12 player of the year with Kansas State’s Rodney McGruder and Oklahoma State’s Marcus Smart.

“So much comes down to who is the most successful team,” Self said. “If anybody has turned their vote in already, it’s premature. We have so much ball left.”

Randle sets date: Julius Randle, a 6-9 senior forward from Prestonwood Christian Academy in Plano, Texas, will announce his college decision on March 20, according to USA Today. He will announce live on ESPNU. Randle has a list of KU, Kentucky, Florida, Oklahoma, N.C. State and Texas.

Wiggins on hand: Andrew Wiggins, a 6-7 senior forward from Huntington (W. Va.) Prep High, attended Monday’s game with his parents. He waved to KU’s student section, who chanted, “We Want Wiggins.” He has a list of KU, Kentucky, North Carolina and Florida State.

Stats, facts: Elijah Johnson’s 12 assists were most by a Jayhawk in a conference game since Aaron Miles dished 12 versus Kansas State on Jan. 28, 2004. ... Johnson posted back-to-back double-digit assists the first time since Aaron Miles had 12 and 11 vs. Kansas State and Iowa State, respectively, on Jan. 28 and Jan. 31, 2004. ... Johnson's nine first half assists are second-most ever by a Jayhawk in a half and ties Kirk Hinrich’s and Ryan Robertson’s school-record mark for assists in a half of a conference game. ... Ben McLemore's 13 points put him at 494. He needs just three points to pass Danny Manning as the school's freshman scoring leader. ... Texas Tech's 42 points were the fewest by a Big 12 opponent in Allen Fieldhouse since Nebraska scored 39 on Feb. 17, 2007 ... The Red Raiders shot 6.7 percent (1-of-15) from three-point land, the lowest percentage by a Big 12 opponent since Missouri failed to make a three, going 0-for-10 on Feb. 4, 2008.

Comments

Steve Quatrocky 1 year, 5 months ago

I dont know, the whole family had Poker Faces everytime the camera was on them. All three had the look of, I am enjoying it, and am impressed, but have already decided to play somewhere else, this visit is for backup purposes. Maybe it was all the snow on the ground?? Of his list, Florida State, could win on weather. NC and Kentucky will have a lot of prima donnas already coming back but if they promise him a starting job up front, that doesnt matter much does it? Bill doesnt go that far.

Hope I am reading them wrong but if you visit the Fieldhouse, Experience the love and emotion of the Jayhawk family on a very special Senior Night (all Four Starters plus the next #1 Pick, meaning all five positions are up for grabs his Freshman year), and see the trophies and history, not to mention the Best Coach in the Country and best training staff starting with Hudy, without KU immediately becoming number 1 on your list, we dont want you. I think Randle reacted the right way! Fingers are crossed, would love to have both and let Rio transfer if he wants to! It would be like KU in 2005 or KY last year all over again but even better.

Sam Constance 1 year, 5 months ago

"if you visit the Fieldhouse, Experience the love and emotion of the Jayhawk family on a very special Senior Night (all Four Starters plus the next #1 Pick, meaning all five positions are up for grabs his Freshman year), and see the trophies and history, not to mention the Best Coach in the Country and best training staff starting with Hudy, without KU immediately becoming number 1 on your list, we dont want you."

Speak for yourself. That strikes me as a rather childish attitude.

NJHAWK 1 year, 5 months ago

Weather? Really, weather? I laugh when posters suggest that as an excuse to choose a school. He is an OAD. He will have to face a couple of months of snowy weather. After that, he will traveling all over united states with his NBA teammates.

Kye Clark 1 year, 5 months ago

I'm with you on Adams. Even though I know it's kind of ridiculous, I always perk up and think (or sometimes say aloud) "oooh, Adams is in the game." Not that I ever expect much out of his scant minutes, but that high-talent potential intrigues me. I really hope he stays, everything clicks for him, and he gets a shot at meaningful minutes next year.

hawk316 1 year, 5 months ago

kugrad, I know where you're coming from - KU obviously offers SO much (some of which you listed) - but it's important to remember that every kid and their individual needs are unique. Those who choose to attend school elsewhere are not necessarily acting foolishly or in error. After all, if Kansas were "right" for everyone, we wouldn't have room for them all. Let's give a kid the freedom to choose the best fit for him and wish him well, while being thankful for those who choose KU.

Mike Bratisax 1 year, 5 months ago

What KUGRAD and Ralster said....

Steve Zimmerman 1 year, 5 months ago

Let the 'fro give more fouls! KY == Einstein with redbull.

JakeBarnes 1 year, 5 months ago

Wish I had thought of something that clever.

Woody Cragg 1 year, 5 months ago

Ya just gotta love that last sentence...since misery went 0 for 10. LOLOL. It just can't get worse than ZERO %! Only jackass breeders could own that record & I hope it's never shared with anyone else. They're truly in a class (lower than whale dung) by themselves.

Kevin Huffman 1 year, 5 months ago

We had a game w/ 0 3's at AFH in a high-scoring affair against Baylor that we won a few years back something like 97-93.

actorman 1 year, 5 months ago

Right up there (or should I say down there) with their percentage of making it to the Final Four.

darshben 1 year, 5 months ago

This is why Ben needs to leave "He needs just three points to pass Danny Manning as the school's freshman scoring leader" I just hope he is ready to score 15-20pts a night in the league every night or they will call him a bust if he goes #1 as predicted.

Jonathan Allison 1 year, 5 months ago

don't miss on the fact that the guy that he's passing ended up being a four year player, playing in two final fours, and being a national champion.

John Randall 1 year, 5 months ago

The world was a bit different in the 80s. President played with chimpanzees and still brought down the Evil Empire.

Steve Quatrocky 1 year, 5 months ago

He's on the level of Durant or Beasley, we just have a more balanced team and dont lean on him as much as Texas and KState did, he'll be fine, and much better in his second contract than his first. He's head and shoulders better than Rush, pre ACL, which is the only reason we got more than one fairly good freshman season from him.

JakeBarnes 1 year, 5 months ago

As much as I wish he were, he's not on a level with Durant.

archercc 1 year, 5 months ago

Durant was and is a freak of nature. Davis may end up being that good but probably still will even fall short.

chalkitup1811 1 year, 5 months ago

hahahaha no where near on durants level! The kid is good but not that good!

Joseph Bullock 1 year, 5 months ago

WWW=WE WANT WIGGINS

What a great student section we have. I hope he t(and his parents) ruly appreciated them!

Joseph Bullock 1 year, 5 months ago

PS: In the above picture, it looks like Wiggins is looking over at our student section, thinking, these folks are crazy, and do they want me that bad. He has gotta be saying to himself, I could handle having that kind fan of support, every game!!!

Kevin Huffman 1 year, 5 months ago

Everything that I'd heard from numerous sources is that personality-wise he's more low-key ( a LOT like Ben) although aggressive in his game (definitely moreso than Ben).

NO REASON he couldn't come here and have BMc like success and be a #1 overall selection next year. I hope he visited EXTENSIVELY with McLemore, but also Releford - on what it takes to play the "3" defensively at KU.

Dee Shaw 1 year, 5 months ago

Right on. Maybe I have my hopes way to high but if Wiggins does not come to KU I will be very disappointed. An opportunity for this young man to come in and start and be the man. When you have all 5 starters leaving after this year and having an opportunity to start as a freshmen and not only start but be the man is remarkable. The only team I feel has a better chance than KU is UNC. I truly believe that KU will get Wiggins and Randle. National power house like KU with instant playing time, on tv every time you play, Field House sold out every night and a chance to win a national championship. What else would you want?

Chase Topliff 1 year, 5 months ago

Sometimes these high level one and dones overlook KU because Bill holds them accountable. Sometimes these high level guys, not saying Wiggins in this case, know they are OAD and they are looking for a place to pass the time. Bill is the type of coach that never puts a player above the team. You could be Michael Jordan, but if you weren't playing defense and being a team player, you would be in the dog house. KU is a place that is very structured and expectations are laid out. If you don't live up to them, you will find yourself on the bench.

Some other schools in the country "hitch their wagon" to these players. Good or bad, they are going to get their minutes regardless of production or attitude.

Now, this is only my opinion and is arguable, but this is what I see when I look at some of the recruiting battles going on in this day in age.

mojayhawk 1 year, 5 months ago

God made it possible.

Sheldon is hilarious.

HawksWin 1 year, 5 months ago

Lets see if Stephen Hawking & his bang theory thrives, survives or dies in the next 2000 years. A theoretical physicist comes & goes as with ALL civilization, and what survives for 2000 years or 6000 years, theoretically speaking? Someone who is so warped inside & out wouldn't understand the beauty of heaven, so Hawking should go elsewhere. Announcing something doesn't exist, one has to first acknowledge its existence - to negate it.

Jeremy Paul 1 year, 5 months ago

Yeah, just like that Galileo dude.

Jason Renfrow 1 year, 5 months ago

We should burn him at the stake...right!?! Please tell me you are just a fan of KU and didn't actually attend....I am guessing a basal level of education for you!

FL_Jhawk 1 year, 5 months ago

"Announcing something doesn't exist, one has to first acknowledge its existence - to negate it."

That makes no sense. That is like saying that the proof of the statement "A does not equal B" requires first that "A equals B". Maybe in the quantum world.

Jonathan Allison 1 year, 5 months ago

I appreciate the work of all scientists, astronomers, and physicists. The more humanity learns about the universe the more we learn about God, and the more is proved about HOW God created the universe. Astronomy, physics, geology, anthropology, and archaeology every day give us more and more evidence that supports and explains the phenomena that are recorded by ancient writers.

Here is an interesting study on the Star of Bethlehem, the biblical sign that symbolized the birth of the Messiah: http://www.bethlehemstar.net/setting-the-stage/why-are-we-hearing-this-now/

Sam Constance 1 year, 5 months ago

I don't think you understand what those scientists, astronomers and physicists actually do.

Jonathan Allison 1 year, 5 months ago

No, I don't know what they do, because I'm not a physicist or an astronomer by trade or hobby. I'm just a chemical engineer. But, I don't have to understand what they do, or why they do it, to be able to amazed by their learnings or to marvel at how their learnings help me paint a picture of my worldview.

I'm a creationist for certain, and I believe that God works in mysterious ways. But I also believe that many of the miracles that I accept by faith can be backed up by evidence (see above Bethlehem Star posting). The scientists and mathematicians that much of our modern understanding of the universe is founded upon believed something similar to what I do. Most of science is built on the theories of men who were seeking to understand God's creation.

To say that science and faith are at war with one another is very short-sighted. Science supports faith, and faith has been the launching pad for some of the most revolutionary scientific hypotheses and discoveries of all time.

Rock Chalk science!

Sam Constance 1 year, 5 months ago

I wasn't trying to suggest that science and faith are at war. The only time those two disciplines are at war is when someone argues that God is a scientific explanation for anything or eschews factual, data-based information in favor of the account of a religious text.

Science and faith can worth hand in hand, so long as they keep to their separate lanes on the Life superhighway. People shouldn't be conducting scientific work on faith any more than people of faith should be supplanting their God with science. Faith cannot be proven or disproven any more than science should be based on belief without evidence.

Mike Bratisax 1 year, 5 months ago

BOOM! Just an opinion but science and God are not mutually exclusive and is this really the place for this debate?

Choctaw 1 year, 5 months ago

Only in Kansas could a feel good column on basketball degenerate into a debate about God, creationism and the Big Bang. Chill Dudes and enjoy the basketball and leave that stuff for somewhere else! Go Big Blue!

HawksWin 1 year, 5 months ago

Impressive group of young men. When all 4 seniors started off by thanking God, I thought these players are special. In today's culture of self-praising, self-serving & self-knowing me-theology, these young men have the humility to know & praise God - to 16,300 people!! They have something - inside - they are special & are winners! RCJH!!

WindmillGIANT 1 year, 5 months ago

Sorry man, but an athlete thanking god is pretty much a cliche now. Not passing judgement on it - just saying it isn't unique.

monkeehawkSL8 1 year, 5 months ago

Does it have to be unique? Your saying that these young men confessing gratitude towards their Creator is like last years fashion? But your not judging, how unique.

nuleafjhawk 1 year, 5 months ago

I've always hated the "one and done thing" - HATED it. But after all the stories I've seen and heard the past week or so, I'm ready to help Ben pack his suitcase.

Obviously, the fan in me wants him to stay at Kansas so we can see his Senior Night speech, but that's one speech that will never happen.

If I could make a basketball player in my mad scientist laboratory, the end result would look a lot like Ben McLemore (maybe with a few less tattoos). As gifted as he is athletically, what I love most about him is his attitude. He's got a great work ethic, is humble and Coach practically had to threaten him to start shooting more because he wants to defer to his teammates.

I still think he could benefit from another year or two of college, but he's going, going, gone. Best of luck to you Mr McLemore. You will always be remembered (by me anyway) as one of the most gifted athletes to ever don a Kansas jersey and as a class act. Best of luck !

yates33333 1 year, 5 months ago

Agree, agree!! I know where he is coming from. When he said he was going to buy his mom a new house and they'd eat all day in it memories flooded back and I almost cried. I was never as good and couldn't do it, but I would have loved to do so. I too hate one and done, but I hope he is drafted number one and in time become a NBA superstar. I hope like Cinderella they live happily ever after. Good Luck one-and-done Ben.

Phoggie_Thinking 1 year, 5 months ago

I really don't think of Ben McLemore as a one and done. He was here all last year. He practiced, was patient, and a team mate. PS he had great grades as well. From a distance (I don't know him personally) he looks to be a pretty solid kid.

Best of luck.

The seniors truly are a class of class. Thanks to them for making a great year of KU BB.

Stephen Johnson 1 year, 5 months ago

I have a family member who worked academically with athletes and your statement was accurate. Bmac was a good student.

jaybate 1 year, 5 months ago

Kevin,

There is a niche in stand-up: the long comic. Fill it.

DCLawHawk 1 year, 5 months ago

With his ability to talk and be entertaining, I have thought that KY would make an excellent addition to the Harlem Globetrotters.

John Randall 1 year, 5 months ago

The HGTs are not the only thing KYo would make an excellent addition to – like, for instance, anything that benefits from "giving your all."

clevelandjayhawker 1 year, 5 months ago

Im not on twitter, but did anyone see what wiggins said last night? would like to know if he said anything/how it compared to his other visits

Royaljayhwk 1 year, 5 months ago

Just checked...He hasn't said anything. He hasn't posted in 6 days. Doesn't post much about basketball. A lot like TT...a lot of randomness that is hard to read.

jaybate 1 year, 5 months ago

Jeff Withey showed last night he could have been a scorer at KU, too. He has good mechanics and a soft touch. He will become a trey guy on the pros. My hunch is he injured his bow on his shooting arm and with Ben and Trav to score outside and with the need for him to board inside, Self just said wait till it gets well and focus on defense. His baseline turnarounds looked great. His trey looked effortless too. Jeff Withey is a helluva basketball player now, not just tall. What people need to remember is he is a footer who can play 30-35 mpg with a team full of greyhounds. Very few footers can do it. Only the really great one in the history of the game can do what Withey has done. He has looked awkward both years offensively, because Self has played him out of position at the 5. He's abaseline jump shooter and trinitarian, if ever were one inside. The jump hook was never his bag. In the pros, they will try him at the 5 and it won't work. He will work on his trey and hang on because of it and blocking and eventually have a long career as 4 with a trey who blocks shots while the 5 muscles. This guy is way better than most realize. And he still has huge upside. Whoever drafts him is getting a sleeper. He is going to get very good offensively.

Kevin Huffman 1 year, 5 months ago

Might be smart of him to emulate what's been working for that guy from Ohio State who's only this year thrived for Charlotte....B.J. Mullens.

Jonathan Allison 1 year, 5 months ago

I've been hishing all year that Self would let Withey shoot the high post jump shot more, and Withey has almost never attempted it. He's got such a good free-throw stroke that it makes sense that he can knock down the 17 foot jumper.

Maybe you're right about having a hurt wing, and Self holding him back. Maybe also Self knew that Withey can shoot and has chosen to mostly conceal this weapon for the post-season. Though I doubt that Self would do that, if he knew he really had a weapon in Jeff. Maybe though Self still thought it too much of a risk to let Jeff fire away. Giving Jeffree the green light may have won us a few more games or it may has lost us a few more games, who knows now?

But, we'll see going forward if Jeff starts shooting more face-up jumpers. My guess is that he will, and that it will make our team more dangerous, and harder to guard. Almost like Duke getting Ryan Kelly back, but Jeff will not shoot nearly the volume of jumpers that Kelly does. Just the occasional and opportunistic attempt maybe 2 to 5 times per game depending on what the defense is giving up and whether or not the offense is stagnating from other positions.

dylans 1 year, 5 months ago

Jeff's rebounding would be sorely missed if he's shooting jumpers all day.

Steve Kubler 1 year, 5 months ago

Perhaps HCBS is bringing on his jump shot now to add another level of difficulty for opposing teams defense. Up until the last couple of games Jeff shot nothing outside of 5 feet but lately he's been opening up a bit. That changes everything in preparing to defend him and will help open up that baseline lob by forcing his defender away from the basket.

Alex Resnik 1 year, 5 months ago

I thought that it may have something to do with anxiety or something like that. Last year he was so comfortable shooting free throws and then he would get all anxious whenever he was open from the foul line and his mechanics would go out the window and he would rush his shot. I think he finally realized that he doesn't have to rush the shot, either shoot is smooth or pass the ball. I completely agree with you on his back to the basket game (he didn't have one at all the previous years or early this year) but he has taken the same approach and just slowed down and doesn't get into a rush. I think that when the game comes slowly to someone (like Bmac) it is much easier to be successful. And I think that has shown with Withey and with Tharpe. That will come with time for Traylor and Perry, they will be very good by the time they are finished playing in AFH.

yates33333 1 year, 5 months ago

JB. Once again very astute. Good to see you back analyzing the game.

Robert Brock 1 year, 5 months ago

You should worry a little about facing the Pokes in Stillwater. They won't roll over too easily.

championhawks 1 year, 5 months ago

Every Man a Woman? Or is that just the craphatten word for jealous?

Jonathan Allison 1 year, 5 months ago

"you won't cheat your way to a ninth. We'll make sure of that."

By losing two us both times? Is that how you make sure of it?

You do realize that Baylor is the only team that has a chance to derail us now? Not KSU. Your team gets all the credit in the world if they get even a piece of that conference title that has eluded you since 1977, but if KU doesn't get 9 striaght, then you better thank Baylor, TCU, OSU, and OU.

gdkadjayhawk 1 year, 5 months ago

I grew up in the vicinity of K177. You are an embarrassment to that highway.

Glen Miller 1 year, 5 months ago

Kansas State was a NOBODY for yearsssssssss until Huggins came there and all the sudden recruits want to come to the middle of nowhereville??? A place that can't even hold the jock strap to Kansas basketball history. And you want to talk about "BUYING" success. Give me a break man, you're just a hater. We'll take all the haters we can get.

Richard Rosberg 1 year, 5 months ago

That stemmed from a game in Lawrence when the students threw hotdogs at a player (I think his name was Curtis Redding) because he did some hotdog moves in a game the year before. The K-State student replied to that by throwing bananas at a player named Donny Von Moore. It was in reference to Donny's looks. They were chanting Don Von Ugly. It was one of the most horrible things I have ever witnessed at a sporting event. I was at everyone of those games and still remember it like it was yesterday.

Suzi Marshall 1 year, 5 months ago

I recall all that as well. There was Cause to rip on Redding but poor Donnie was coming off an illness/injury and they ripped on him for no reason. KSU and classless became on in the same.

That was the year Donnie missed that 8' jomp shot on the baseline that would have won the Indiana game that went into tripple overtive. Indiana went undefeated that year to win the NC.

53jayhawk 1 year, 5 months ago

Owens heard rumors of what was intended with the hot dogs & had our players go over to the KSU bench and shake Coach Hartman's hand instead of going out to center court during the player introductions - as a way to diffuse the intentions of KSU fans

nuleafjhawk 1 year, 5 months ago

It's so cute when K-Staters actually think they can beat us!

Every Manhattanite A Wussy

Sam Constance 1 year, 5 months ago

Shouldn't the fan of an ag school be more in tune with the seasons?

Protip: they don't play football in March

Jack Jones 1 year, 5 months ago

Permit me to THANK YOU for your contribution toward upholding the Kansas State tradition of moronic thought and words. You are not only an embarrassment to yourself, but to your University as well. Keep on keepin' on, Willie.

Waylon Cook 1 year, 5 months ago

Monsanto Prep aka KSU. Good thing KU produces doctors and has a good cancer center. To help cure all the crap the GMO's you shove down America's throat cause.

Btw I think we have saw what happened to you when Snyder left. He won't live forever.

Glen Miller 1 year, 5 months ago

Typical KState fan..... when you know you've been worked you change the subject to football. Let me ask you this.......... When was the last time you won a BCS game?? Oh wait you HAVEN'T!! We are the proud owners of an Orange Bowl if I remember correctly. Just sayin

Mike Bratisax 1 year, 5 months ago

The worst part is that the KU-KSU rivalry is dead in basketball. Webber is having what will be his best season at KSU coaching his predecessors players (sound familiar?).

KEITHMILES05 1 year, 5 months ago

EMAW: you a a true loser. Your analogy is fuil of holes and untruths. As your FB coach wins alot, he cheats.......right? Talk about stupid.

As for Wiggins he was the most uninterested recruit I've seen for a long time. He showed no emotion and body language was lackluster. His family didn't seem to be into things either.

clevelandjayhawker 1 year, 5 months ago

The game had a lot of high flying fun, but it wasnt the most intense game of the year. I dont think it really shows the ability of our crowd, we had some noise being made, but I think it would have worked better if this was a more intense game.

Maybe I am overthinking it, but with a sleeper (other than the 15 dunks) of a game and snow on the ground, florida state is prob a lock esp when its 50 degrees warmer for his visit there.

Lorena Ben G Solis 1 year, 5 months ago

Hey k_177 haven't you heard we're KANSAS we don't rebuild we reload. We're the school every kid dreams of playing for no $$$ needs to change hands. We make dreams come true no better place to play than in the PHOG. We will get that 9th title & keep going like I said we're KANSAS the BEST of the BEST ROCK-CHALK JAYHAWK GO KU!!!!!!!!!

KUsmoothies 1 year, 5 months ago

K177 is on to us. We can fool the NCAA but nothing gets by K177... For having one of their best yrs since 77 kstate fans still seem awfully bitter

Jack Jones 1 year, 5 months ago

yates33333 1 year, 5 months ago

I think we should be kind to K_177. Your average hog slopper, gum boot sheepherder, or lil'-ole'-doggie-get-along lover spends a lot of time outdoors with that western Kansas wind whistling through his ears. The velocity, left to right or vice versa, through an empty cranium wreaks Hell on any thinking process you might have once had. Illusions become facts and Hallucination reality. Hell you might wind up thinking Silo Tech is a university and their fans have functioning brains or that teams vastly superior to yours need to cheat to beat your ass. Not so. So, Pardon You.

Jack Jones 1 year, 5 months ago

OMG > Just as soon as KY's opening line was spoken, I knew that (A) some cretin just couldn't resist either saying something negative about the "God" reference, or: (B) another cretin just couldn't resist defending the "God" reference.

'Choctaw' above, had it spot on > Why on earth would you make that a topic of discussion on such a wonderful evening in which we are paying tribute to such a terrific group of young men > fifth year Seniors + one of the very best young(er) man ever to grace the court of AFH > as well as their families and everyone else who have supported each one of them (including each of us)? Please have the wisdom and the courtesy to allow these individuals to express, in whatever words, thoughts, beliefs are THEIR own > without any need to impose our own value system ( or 1 cents worth) of comment.

IMHO > This is just one more example of what is so devastatingly wrong with public discourse in this country at the present time. We just cannot accept/allow another person to share of themselves without it becoming a "I win/you lose" debate. GET OVER IT/GET OVER YOURSELVES.

Tony Bandle 1 year, 5 months ago

HEY, WHY CAN'T GOD LAUGH TOO....HE INVENTED IT!!!

Having Andrew come to Kansas would be great.

Having Julius come to Kansas would be essential.

Andy Tweedy 1 year, 5 months ago

So I don't see the posts any more calling for EJ to be benched and more playing time for Rio and Tharpe. Once again, Self seems to have gotten the end result we all wanted...go figure!

WETSUhawk 1 year, 5 months ago

IMO I'd rather have a kid sitting on the bench with the attitude of "I Can Do Better". It's that drive and competitive nature that is the core of all great men. After he learns a little SELF-discipline (pun intended) and humility, he will turn this inward to become a better player, teammate and person. Remember, these are young talented players that are at crossroads in their lives. Either keep to their chosen path or choose a different road. It is his and his families decision, and we should wish him the best of luck in his life regardless.

While I'm on my high-horse, I also hate to see all these negative post on KSU. It reminds me of how when I was a boy working with the mentally retarded (term then) and I would have to fight back from not going off on others making fun of these kids. I even experienced it with adults when I helped with the Special Olympics, people hating on those less fortunate is frustrating as h....

I enjoy watching KSU get excited this year when they win. It reminds me of that good warm feeling I experienced when those Special Olympians won, or even finished am event. Let's appreciate what we have and let others bask in their own accomplishments.

We have much to be thankful for, 24 consecutive NCAA........and counting.

Mike Bratisax 1 year, 5 months ago

Have we reached the end result? Plenty of games still unplayed. Conference titles still to be determined. There is still Selection Sunday when the seedings are announced and brackets are filled. Office pools and online games await as we each pit our knowledge predicting the winners with 90% of us unbiasedly having KU at the top.

Is that the end result or are we soon talking about how inexperienced next year's team will be while waiting for the arrival of next years recruits. Soon we'll be predicting starting line-ups and listening for word of targets and commitments to KU's 2014 recruiting class. Who will be watching KU football while secretly waiting for the official start of next year's season and news of who barfed first in boot camp?

For me, the end result will be the last game my mortal body watches. But could it be Heaven without KU basketball?

KansasComet 1 year, 5 months ago

Starting Point Guard for the Kansas Jayhawks: Elijah Johnson!!!! The way it is, and the way it should be! I never ever thought for half a second putting this young man who has contributed so much to this team on the bench would send him a message. It was easy for me to stand by him, because I have seen what he is capable of. I make it a point every year to enjoy the ride. I don't sweat mini losing streaks, because I know who we are. At the beginning of the year I was convinced this was a top 5 team. We had a few ups and downs, but I knew this team could win, once they jelled. I believe that next year's team will be pretty good as well. New year, new heroes!

Lorena Ben G Solis 1 year, 5 months ago

We don't want or need Dixon why bring that trouble to our great school?

Randy Bombardier 1 year, 5 months ago

When it comes to recruiting we want the ones who say what these seniors said, "I wouldn't play anywhere else." If they don't feel that way then they should go somewhere where they do feel that way. Would prefer we not get the one and dones anyway. Wiggins looks like he is one of them, probably going to Kentucky, the best basketball money can buy.

AZHawk72 1 year, 5 months ago

Wow, the one advantage of always being "a day late and a dollar short" is having the advantage/disadvantage of all that has been written earlier. However, after weathering this entire thread, I'm seeking mental consultation.

Isn't it weird on a night when we exhibited the best teamwork of the year on the court, we, the devoted fans, make no attempt to do likewise? Not really--to even imagine otherwise would tag me as idealistically moronic. I'll probably cover that in my second session.

I thought that pass around by the vets during their final moments showed class and was meant to say "remember what we've all accomplished together and, oh, by the way, we're not done." Well, I got it--no losses to Bucknell, Northern Iowa, or VCU. If we do go down, It's going to be after a war, and it will be after we've left it all on the court like last year.

And while we'll miss the entire starting five departing together, and we'll certainly pay for it next year, it's impossible to not appreciate what they've accomplished. For a change, I've been blown away more than trashing the living room after moments of devastation. After the free throw up versus Syracuse in the national championship game, the only thing that saved my marriage was my wife throwing things more than I was. Neither of us, as it turned out, really liked that room anyway. True creativity comes from...

Really love the interlopers such as K-whatever as the lunacy provided helps with the loss of a bunch of really great ballers.

P.S. Re: Wiggins. "Son, did you see all that white crap on the ground; do you see all these white people in the stands: do you understand why your father and I attended and graduated Florida-State? I understand this is a class program and you're showing the same class by showing up as you said you would, but PLEASE could we get the hell out of here!"

P.S.S. I'm sure I have at least a couple of these words wrong.

Joseph Kuebel 1 year, 5 months ago

What are you smoking?? Tallahassee is hillbilly as can be man. I expect a person in Zona that went to KU have a little more knowledge of his own country. Anyways, Andrew Wiggins if you are reading this, please note that this is the not consensus opinion of KU fans/alumns/or residents in the generally liberal college town of Lawrence, Kansas. Apparently the old (more racial generations of) snowbirds that have flocked to Zona have infiltrated this mans thought process.

yates33333 1 year, 5 months ago

AZHawk72. I hate to say this about a fellow alumnus, but what the Hell are you smoking?

We've been playing BB in front of white crowds for years and as far as I know no one every said what you have here. I'll admit I probably don't understand what it means. This sht about all African Americans thinking the same way is just that, sht. You nor I know what the Wiggins were thinking. Also, ever been to Tallahassee? Although a moderate sized city that panhandle area of Florida is more rural Alabama than the rest of Florida. Know what I mean???

JayhawkRock78 1 year, 5 months ago

Thanks for the link to 1978 and KSU. I am happy to hear Donnie Von Moore is a successful coach somewhere. He faired so much better than Norm Cook. Unfortunately Norm had a troubled life. I met both our freshmen year at the training table although i was in a different sport. We had English class together including tutoring sessions. Both were nice young men. I remember being pi**ed off at KSU for the name calling, etc. The way I remember it, KSU was a much bigger rival than MU at AFH games back then and the games in Manhattan were intense.

Back then Hartman was a wizard. He got so much out of his players. Owens could recruit blue chips but I think Hartman was a better motivator.