Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Notebook: Bill Self’s 500th win ‘was a good one’

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

KU coach Bill Self talks after win over ISU

Kansas coach Bill Self talks after his team's 108-96 overtime victory over Iowa State on Feb. 25, 2013.

Download podcast

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

Elijah Johnson, Travis Releford

Kansas guards Elijah Johnson and Travis Releford talk after the Jayhawks' 108-96 overtime victory over Iowa State on Feb. 25, 2013.

Download podcast

Box score

KU-ISU

— Bill Self’s 500th career coaching victory was one for the ages.

“I won’t remember 400 or 300 or 200 or 100, but I guarantee you I’ll always remember this one, cause it was a good one,” Self, KU’s 10th-year coach, said after a wild 108-96 overtime win over Iowa State in Hilton Coliseum.

It actually was the most points allowed by a KU team coached by Self.

Baylor had 90 back in 2008.

“I don’t think it means that much,” Self said of 500. He has 162 losses.

“I’m glad I got it. It means I’ve been doing this awhile. I only care about this team having the best year possible and the seniors the best year possible.”

Technically speaking

Self was called for a technical foul in the early going after Elijah Johnson was whistled for a foul.

“I told Mark Whitehead (ref) I tried to get it,” Self said. “It was too early in the game to get upset (at refs).”

He added it would be a good idea to get a ‘T’ in what figured to be such a highly competitive game.

In his grill

An Iowa State fan had to be restrained by security for getting in Self’s face after the game.

photo

An Iowa State fan is restrained by police after charging at Kansas head coach Bill Self after the Jayhawks' 108-96 overtime win on Monday, Feb. 25, 2013 at Hilton Coliseum in Ames, Iowa.

“It was a great crowd. It was a great game. I have no problem with what went on after the game,” said Self, who said he didn’t even notice the fact his players were pelted with objects from ISU’s student section as they exited.

Raining threes

ISU’s 17 threes fell one shy of Nebraska’s 18 hit against KU in 2002. ISU’s 41 attempts surpassed Kentucky’s 40 versus KU in 1989.

Withey honored

Kansas University senior center Jeff Withey was named Big 12 player of the week for the second consecutive week, the conference office announced Monday.

The seven-foot center from San Diego averaged 17.5 points and 10 rebounds in two KU victories. He scored 17 points and grabbed a season-high 14 rebounds in KU’s 68-67 double-overtime win at No. 14 Oklahoma State. He scored 18 points with six rebounds in a 74-48 home victory against TCU.

He combined to hit 10 of 19 shots and 15 of 18 free throws. He also had seven blocks, increasing his KU and Big 12 career records to 272.

Withey is the first player this season to win back-to-back Big 12 player of the week awards, as he received the accolade for the third time this year and fourth time in his career.

Praise for McLemore

Iowa State coach Fred Hoiberg on KU’s Ben McLemore: “I think he is the most talented player in the country,” Hoiberg told the Des Moines Register.

Prime time

KU improved to 49-16 on Big Monday, including a 4-2 mark against Iowa State. ISU is 3-11 on Big Monday, the last appearance way back in 2006 — a 78-58 loss against Texas at Hilton.

Scouts flock to Ames

Scouts representing the Cleveland Cavaliers, Indiana Pacers, Portland Trail Blazers, Milwaukee Bucks, Minnesota Timberwolves, Miami Heat, Philadelphia 76ers, Dallas Mavericks, Phoenix Suns, and Chicago Bulls scouted the game, the Des Moines Register reported.

Top prospect honored

Andrew Wiggins, a 6-7 forward from Huntington (W.Va.) Prep, has been named Naismith High School Player of the Year. The country’s No. 1-rated prospect has a list of KU, Kentucky, North Carolina and Florida State. He’s visited FSU, will visit Kentucky this week, KU on March 3 and North Carolina on March 8.

Comments

FearlessJayhawk 1 year, 1 month ago

I just hope this game gets KU out of the shooting funk for good. Both teams shot lights out. I have a feeling it's going to take career performances from various players here on out in order to cut down the nets in April. I really great to see teams that can shoot well. I'm tired of watching these games in the 50's and 60's.

planojayhawk 1 year, 1 month ago

EJ,

No apology needed. Keep on dunking whenever you have a chance to, till the last second of the game.

Screw these "I have so much class" fans. They are probably those old farts sitting on their behinds the whole game in AFH these days.

Man up from now on every game. Go have fun and wishing more games like this for you the rest of this season.

MGJayhawk 1 year, 1 month ago

Did Hoiberg apologize for his classless fans charging the court and throwing stuff at our guys? Probably not. Therefore, dunk away EJ! Dunk right on their d-bag faces. AHHHH!

Beau Woolsey 1 year, 1 month ago

Ben is passive sometimes no one expects a freshman to take over like this under self He will find his fire In tournament he has had a wonderful season the best freshman season a ku player has had in years He should go to the nba he is ready to dominate

soapisurfriend 1 year, 1 month ago

Maybe I missed it, but I didn't see a mention of Jo Embiid being named MVP of a tournament over the weekend in which he and the Rock School beat Wiggins and Huntington Prep quite easily.

bradynsdad 1 year, 1 month ago

This no call thing will be beat to death with a stick but I want to give an opinion on it. Everyone complains that they don't want officials deciding the outcome of a game right? Well Niang put the officials in a spot where they could decide the game. Wether it was a block or charge, when Niang slid over there he was putting the power in the officials hands. He didn't complain to the officials when he drew the charge on Withey when it was clearly a block so don't complain now. KU still had 22 fouls compared to ISU's 19 so who won the could battle? If you don't want the officials deciding the outcome of a game then don't put them in a position to.

nuleafjhawk 1 year, 1 month ago

Praise for McLemore

This must be an incomplete quote. I think they left off the part where Hoiberg said "...when there is nothing at stake in the game and no one is defending him."

nostradavid 1 year, 1 month ago

The team bus will have a snowplow escort tonight.

KULA 1 year, 1 month ago

Kentucky put up 40 threes against us in '89? Wow, how'd that turn out?

jgkojak 1 year, 1 month ago

Dear Cleveland Cavaliers, Indiana Pacers, Portland Trail Blazers, Milwaukee Bucks, Minnesota Timberwolves, Miami Heat, Philadelphia 76ers, Dallas Mavericks, Phoenix Suns, and Chicago Bulls,

Elijah Johnson is clutch and you should draft him.

Just sayin'...

tathagata 1 year, 1 month ago

After beating TT on Saturday, ISU fans chanted, "We want Kansas." Tao Te Ching says, "What you want and what you say should be the same."

JJHawq 1 year, 1 month ago

He is very green, but if I'm a GM I take him. Insane upside and a humble coachable kid. 82 games helps you learn to play too, you know.

Steve Corder 1 year, 1 month ago

It's a shame what the NBA does to kids like McLemore. He has so much up-side but should stay for another year, but when the 1st 5 draft spots are projecting freshmen the money is simply to much to ignore. Ben's not as ready for the NBA as he would with another year under Self.

If it weren't for all the hype on TV you'd think Ben was just another freshman on the floor tonight.

If Ben plays out the conference season like at I-State then he might not make 1st team honors, especially if KU does win the league.

madamhawk 1 year, 1 month ago

Just what did the ISU fan that charged at Self think he was going to do?

Dude, it's just a game. If you're gonna be mad about something, be mad that you root for ISU!

ISU fans throwing stuff at the players? Really? Wow.

I'm sure the Mayor does not approve of these actions (at least I hope not).

Ferd Magellan 1 year, 1 month ago

"ISU’s 41 attempts surpassed Kentucky’s 40 versus KU in 1989"

Two of my all-time favorite KU games.