Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Notebook: Bill Self’s 500th win ‘was a good one’

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

KU coach Bill Self talks after win over ISU

Kansas coach Bill Self talks after his team's 108-96 overtime victory over Iowa State on Feb. 25, 2013.

Download podcast

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

Elijah Johnson, Travis Releford

Kansas guards Elijah Johnson and Travis Releford talk after the Jayhawks' 108-96 overtime victory over Iowa State on Feb. 25, 2013.

Download podcast

Box score

KU-ISU

— Bill Self’s 500th career coaching victory was one for the ages.

“I won’t remember 400 or 300 or 200 or 100, but I guarantee you I’ll always remember this one, cause it was a good one,” Self, KU’s 10th-year coach, said after a wild 108-96 overtime win over Iowa State in Hilton Coliseum.

It actually was the most points allowed by a KU team coached by Self.

Baylor had 90 back in 2008.

“I don’t think it means that much,” Self said of 500. He has 162 losses.

“I’m glad I got it. It means I’ve been doing this awhile. I only care about this team having the best year possible and the seniors the best year possible.”

Technically speaking

Self was called for a technical foul in the early going after Elijah Johnson was whistled for a foul.

“I told Mark Whitehead (ref) I tried to get it,” Self said. “It was too early in the game to get upset (at refs).”

He added it would be a good idea to get a ‘T’ in what figured to be such a highly competitive game.

In his grill

An Iowa State fan had to be restrained by security for getting in Self’s face after the game.

photo

An Iowa State fan is restrained by police after charging at Kansas head coach Bill Self after the Jayhawks' 108-96 overtime win on Monday, Feb. 25, 2013 at Hilton Coliseum in Ames, Iowa.

“It was a great crowd. It was a great game. I have no problem with what went on after the game,” said Self, who said he didn’t even notice the fact his players were pelted with objects from ISU’s student section as they exited.

Raining threes

ISU’s 17 threes fell one shy of Nebraska’s 18 hit against KU in 2002. ISU’s 41 attempts surpassed Kentucky’s 40 versus KU in 1989.

Withey honored

Kansas University senior center Jeff Withey was named Big 12 player of the week for the second consecutive week, the conference office announced Monday.

The seven-foot center from San Diego averaged 17.5 points and 10 rebounds in two KU victories. He scored 17 points and grabbed a season-high 14 rebounds in KU’s 68-67 double-overtime win at No. 14 Oklahoma State. He scored 18 points with six rebounds in a 74-48 home victory against TCU.

He combined to hit 10 of 19 shots and 15 of 18 free throws. He also had seven blocks, increasing his KU and Big 12 career records to 272.

Withey is the first player this season to win back-to-back Big 12 player of the week awards, as he received the accolade for the third time this year and fourth time in his career.

Praise for McLemore

Iowa State coach Fred Hoiberg on KU’s Ben McLemore: “I think he is the most talented player in the country,” Hoiberg told the Des Moines Register.

Prime time

KU improved to 49-16 on Big Monday, including a 4-2 mark against Iowa State. ISU is 3-11 on Big Monday, the last appearance way back in 2006 — a 78-58 loss against Texas at Hilton.

Scouts flock to Ames

Scouts representing the Cleveland Cavaliers, Indiana Pacers, Portland Trail Blazers, Milwaukee Bucks, Minnesota Timberwolves, Miami Heat, Philadelphia 76ers, Dallas Mavericks, Phoenix Suns, and Chicago Bulls scouted the game, the Des Moines Register reported.

Top prospect honored

Andrew Wiggins, a 6-7 forward from Huntington (W.Va.) Prep, has been named Naismith High School Player of the Year. The country’s No. 1-rated prospect has a list of KU, Kentucky, North Carolina and Florida State. He’s visited FSU, will visit Kentucky this week, KU on March 3 and North Carolina on March 8.

Comments

Ferd Magellan 1 year, 9 months ago

"ISU’s 41 attempts surpassed Kentucky’s 40 versus KU in 1989"

Two of my all-time favorite KU games.

kcmojayhawker 1 year, 9 months ago

Pitino was upset for years after that game suggesting the score was run up, I remember saying, "score as many as you or they will accuse the team of point-shaving." '89 was not a great KU year because of the sanctions.

Cameron Cederlind 1 year, 9 months ago

I was there at 5 years old and had to be removed because it was so loud I wouldn't stop crying.

madamhawk 1 year, 9 months ago

Just what did the ISU fan that charged at Self think he was going to do?

Dude, it's just a game. If you're gonna be mad about something, be mad that you root for ISU!

ISU fans throwing stuff at the players? Really? Wow.

I'm sure the Mayor does not approve of these actions (at least I hope not).

Janet Olin 1 year, 9 months ago

I am surprised about this in Ames; ISU fans are dedicated but not usually malicious. KU players have been pelted with debris forever in Columbia--in the 'old days' before plastic pop bottles were the norm, it was glass bottles. I'm sure older fans have experienced this first hand.

John Randall 1 year, 9 months ago

He thought he'd give madamhawk her daily prig-pass.

joeschmoew 1 year, 8 months ago

That guy HAD to be drunk! Iowa State fans are usually more classy than that. But they were "pelting" the KU players with objects as they left. Guess it was just too much for them to have victory snatched from them when they--and most of us--were so sure they'd won just seconds before the end of the game!

Steve Corder 1 year, 9 months ago

It's a shame what the NBA does to kids like McLemore. He has so much up-side but should stay for another year, but when the 1st 5 draft spots are projecting freshmen the money is simply to much to ignore. Ben's not as ready for the NBA as he would with another year under Self.

If it weren't for all the hype on TV you'd think Ben was just another freshman on the floor tonight.

If Ben plays out the conference season like at I-State then he might not make 1st team honors, especially if KU does win the league.

741hawk 1 year, 9 months ago

Yes. That would be alot of money to turn down, but who doesn't think he'd have a better NBA career if he stayed in school (and worked on skills development) one more year?

nuleafjhawk 1 year, 9 months ago

Apparently there are only about 6 of us who think that BMAC (or any other college player for that matter) should stay in college.

A fellow poster (sorry, I don't remember whom) said this a few days ago (paraphrasing) - When college players jump to the NBA early, it degrades the quality of college ball and NBA ball.

They need to stay and learn the game of basketball, not just how to run and shoot.

Theonlythingthatexceedsyourbad 1 year, 9 months ago

If you had this choice. . . college scholarship to play basketball at KU or you can be paid MILLIONS OF DOLLARS to play basketball. . . what would you do?

nuleafjhawk 1 year, 9 months ago

Of course, if I was 19 or 20 years old (or 21, 22, 23, etc....) I would take the money. It's not a hard decision.

I don't blame him or anyone else that goes pro early - I blame the NBA. Look, it's a done deal, I know that, but as a fan I have a right to my opinion and my opinion is that 99% of the kids that go pro early may be great athletes, but they don't KNOW the game of basketball. They rob themselves of their college experience and what likely will be the best years of their lives.

Not to mention what a headache and financial burden it is for the coaches and colleges that spend months or years recruiting these guys to have them gone in a year.

eastcoasthawk 1 year, 9 months ago

You and he should check out the Blake Griffin statement/article regarding this on CBS NCAA BB page today.

yates33333 1 year, 9 months ago

Considering other small forwards in Big 12 do you think he deserves to be on the basis of performance or on potential?

JJHawq 1 year, 9 months ago

He is very green, but if I'm a GM I take him. Insane upside and a humble coachable kid. 82 games helps you learn to play too, you know.

nuleafjhawk 1 year, 9 months ago

What they meant to say is " We want TO BE Kansas".

jgkojak 1 year, 9 months ago

Dear Cleveland Cavaliers, Indiana Pacers, Portland Trail Blazers, Milwaukee Bucks, Minnesota Timberwolves, Miami Heat, Philadelphia 76ers, Dallas Mavericks, Phoenix Suns, and Chicago Bulls,

Elijah Johnson is clutch and you should draft him.

Just sayin'...

eastcoasthawk 1 year, 9 months ago

+10

I'm sure they didn't miss that last night.

KULA 1 year, 9 months ago

Kentucky put up 40 threes against us in '89? Wow, how'd that turn out?

nostradavid 1 year, 9 months ago

The team bus will have a snowplow escort tonight.

John Randall 1 year, 9 months ago

And a U-haul trailer for 'lije, Trav and 'dir's "special equipment."

nuleafjhawk 1 year, 9 months ago

Praise for McLemore

This must be an incomplete quote. I think they left off the part where Hoiberg said "...when there is nothing at stake in the game and no one is defending him."

Kent Wells 1 year, 9 months ago

Ouch! It is a 3-game slump... That's all. Don't forget about ISU in AFH...

KUGreenMachine 1 year, 9 months ago

Guess you missed the first Iowa State game.

Jayhawkhuey 1 year, 9 months ago

I was at the first ISU game in AFH. GREAT game, but I don't remember... Did Ben call that bank shot at the end of regulation? Just sayin'...

justinryman 1 year, 9 months ago

The real question is did the ball go all the way through the net? It did?!!!

Then it counts.

were his feet behind the 3 pt arc? They were then it was worth 3 points.

Calling a bank is for the game of horse.

VaJay 1 year, 9 months ago

Where's the "Thumbs Down" button when you need it!

nuleafjhawk 1 year, 9 months ago

Truth hurts.

So, when Jesse says it, it's ok? Read some other articles.

The point is, I think Ben is a great kid, an unbelievably talented and gifted athlete, but if you don't admit that he disappears in the "big" games - OK - a lot of big games, not all, then you are just not being realistic.

John White 1 year, 9 months ago

I wouldn't say he disappears in "big" games. You have to be more specific. He disappears in "big" road games. Quite frankly, you could go further and just say he disappears on the road. He has not been a major impact in a road game this season that I can think of and he has been a complete non factor in the road games when they needed him most (ISU, K-State, TCU, Oklahoma). I think the problem isn't that he doesn't handle big games, but that he has a problem playing when he is not in the comfort of the Fieldhouse.

hawk_of_ages 1 year, 9 months ago

Why has everyone forgotten the Ohio State game already? Give the kid a break -- he's a freshman going through what every freshman goes through.

John White 1 year, 9 months ago

I forgot the Ohio State game because I watched it live from as far from the court as possible. It was almost impossible to distinguish players, so I didn't realize how key he was in that game. I can concede that game. However, look at every road Big 12 game. He plays entirely different on those than at home. He doesn't have the confidence. He defers to his teammates frequently.

It's not even that he doesn't put in the effort, you can tell, he does. He goes for loose balls, and he goes for rebounds. It seems to be a confidence thing to me. When he isn't "feeling it" on a night, he just constantly defers. He needs to realize how good he can be, and play with that confidence and aggression every game. He could be a truly dominant player if he did that. I just worry he won't figure that out until he is already in the NBA.

VaJay 1 year, 9 months ago

He's a freshman, a kid for crying out loud, he's learning as he goes, and he's a heck of a ball player, getting national coverage. Interesting you choose to jump on him after our most exciting win of the season.

nuleafjhawk 1 year, 9 months ago

You bring up some excellent points. He's a kid. Learning as he goes. That's exactly my point. If I "jumped" on him, I apologize, but I'm really tired of him being talked about as some sort of second coming of Michael Jordan when he's just not. He has great potential, but he's got a long ways to go.

Here's what I mean. I'm an old fart, but back in the prehistoric ages when Danny Manning was playing, (who, by the way, stayed 4 years at Kansas) whenever he was on the court he was giving it all. He could make incredible passes, play inside or out, was a great defender - he had it all. I had great confidence when Danny was on the floor. Ben is capable of doing all of those things, but I don't have the same warm, fuzzy feeling when he's on the floor.

Now, some of you will say " well, you can't compare a freshman to Danny Manning ". Why not? Those of you that think he's the #1 NBA draft pick should have no problem with that at all.

hawk_of_ages 1 year, 9 months ago

Really? I don't recall Jesse saying Ben is only good "when there is nothing at stake and one one is guarding him." You'll have to point me to that quote.

nuleafjhawk 1 year, 9 months ago

First of all, what you quoted above had nothing to do with Jesse. I happened to be having some sick fun with the quote from Coach Hoiberg and added the "nothing at stake blah blah blah" part to his quote.

Here is a copy and paste from Jesse's article titled " Elijah Johnson takes over against Iowa State".

1. Ben McLemore: Is this the start of a disturbing trend? In KU's two biggest conference games, McLemore has been a no-show, as he scored seven points while attempting just six field goals in 38 minutes. He had four assists compared to just one turnover, but the Jayhawks need much more out of him if they hope to hit their ceiling in March.

hawk_of_ages 1 year, 9 months ago

I only quoted the part of what you said that has everyone upset. Then you claimed that Jesse had said the same thing.

I'm familiar with the quote from Jesse. I actually disputed his wording somewhat in the comments on that story. Obviously Ben hasn't "shown up" in the last two big road games, but I don't think it's really a "disturbing trend" so much as the usual freshman wall that every player faces. But my quarrel with Jesse is just semantics, whereas your comment that Ben only shows up "when there's nothing at stake and no one is guarding him" is just objectively false.

nuleafjhawk 1 year, 9 months ago

He did say the same thing. Not word for word, but the essence of the message was that he doesn't show up in big games. He called it disturbing, not me. I just agreed with that.

You and I both know we could go at this all day, but I don't think you're watching very closely if you think he's a great player under pressure or when he's being closely guarded. He's a shooter. A great shooter. But he hasn't learned the game of basketball.

Who would you rather have with the ball at the end of a close game, Ben, or say Travis?

hawk_of_ages 1 year, 9 months ago

Travis never took over a game on offense the way Ben did in the first Iowa State game. To say that Ben doesn't show up for big games or can't do anything when guarded is to ignore his body of work this season because of the last two road games. You're the only one who's going that far -- Jesse was just noting a recent trend.

nuleafjhawk 1 year, 9 months ago

OK, it's a slow day at work, I'll play along. Your reply was that "Travis never took over a game on offense the way Ben did in the first Iowa State game".

You singled out "offense" and one game - the first Iowa State game. The reason that I, and probably Bill Self if you asked him, would say that we would prefer to have Travis in at the end of a (crucial/big) game is because of a) his maturity. b) his ability to drive the ball to the basket and get a layup/dunk and/or foul. c) his ability to defend.

Please don't misunderstand me hawk_of_ages. I really do like Ben McLemore - a lot. He's a great talent and seems like a super young man. I've never made negative remarks about him (saying that he's not Michael Jordan is not being negative) or compared him to some other highly touted freshmen that we've had. You know who they are. I know it's a huge risk for a fan to state his opinion that every single person who dons a KU jersey isn't NBA ready, but that's all I'm doing.

I'm extremely proud of every Jayhawk that goes on to the NBA, and there's a lot of them. I want Ben to succeed at the next level. I'm just not caught up in believing that he's the greatest player to set foot on the court on any given night. A great, great shooter, not a great complete player. Yet. I can say this though, I'd put him up against anyone (including Tyrus McGee) in a 3 pt shooting contest. He can most definitely shoot the ball.

hawk_of_ages 1 year, 9 months ago

I think BMac can be compared to other KU freshman greats. They all hit that freshman wall at some point, even Pierce. As for whether he's NBA-ready, I agree with you, but I don't think any college freshman is truly NBA-ready. All the OADs (and high school draftees, in the old days), struggle at first in the association.

okiedave 1 year, 9 months ago

Nulefjhawk, when others say it -- it's just their opinion. When you say it -- it's like St. Peter saying that Jesus was not divine. Your changing the gospel of KUBB and it's paradigm shift.

nuleafjhawk 1 year, 9 months ago

Lol - I have to admit I don't even know if that's a compliment or an insult !

OK - I take back EVERYTHING. Ben McLemore is the greatest basketball player that ever lived. I think every KU basketball player that averages more than 8 pts per game should be drafted in the first round. Preferably top 5.

I was up way too late last night, and woke up way too early this morning, and it seems like everything i "say" today is taken differently than I intended.

Let's go get number NINE, a Big 12 tournament championship and then win the next Six ! RCJH

(and Jesus IS divine)

justinryman 1 year, 9 months ago

WOW the best ever? No you are just reaching.

AH just kidding man, just had to keep the jabs a comin'.

Matt Strausz 1 year, 9 months ago

Did you miss the fact that he had everyone thrown at him defensively. He had very few open looks and avoided taking bad shots much of he night because he was passing to the others who were not being guarded at all. Their game plan was to guard Withey and BMac and make the rest beat them. Fortunately, EJ and Trav did just that. Not to mention some killer minutes out of Mr. Ellis.

Theonlythingthatexceedsyourbad 1 year, 9 months ago

You only say this out of jealousy for his extreme talent. You are upset that you know he is leaving.

bradynsdad 1 year, 9 months ago

This no call thing will be beat to death with a stick but I want to give an opinion on it. Everyone complains that they don't want officials deciding the outcome of a game right? Well Niang put the officials in a spot where they could decide the game. Wether it was a block or charge, when Niang slid over there he was putting the power in the officials hands. He didn't complain to the officials when he drew the charge on Withey when it was clearly a block so don't complain now. KU still had 22 fouls compared to ISU's 19 so who won the could battle? If you don't want the officials deciding the outcome of a game then don't put them in a position to.

amatxjayhawk 1 year, 9 months ago

Exactly. If you revisit one call, revisit all of them.

jayhawkboogeyman 1 year, 9 months ago

Niang slid under him and started leaning back to the floor before contact. That is a flop, not a charge. If you make any call on that, it's a block. The foul they did call was slapping EJ's arm when he tried to pass back out on the rebound.

It was ugly, but the officials didn't decide ISU should keep heaving threes without running clock to leave the door open late. If you keep blowing late leads, maybe it's time to look in the mirror.

oldalum 1 year, 9 months ago

I thought he was set, and then shifted over because EJ was going around him. I figured the official was waiting to see if the ball went in. If it had missed he would have called a block. Since it went in, he let it go. ESPN keeps saying he was called for a block, when boogeyman has it right. He was holding EJ when he was trying to get up or get rid of the ball. Wonder if we'll ever get to hear the results of the NCAA review.

soapisurfriend 1 year, 9 months ago

Maybe I missed it, but I didn't see a mention of Jo Embiid being named MVP of a tournament over the weekend in which he and the Rock School beat Wiggins and Huntington Prep quite easily.

Beau Woolsey 1 year, 9 months ago

Ben is passive sometimes no one expects a freshman to take over like this under self He will find his fire In tournament he has had a wonderful season the best freshman season a ku player has had in years He should go to the nba he is ready to dominate

MGJayhawk 1 year, 9 months ago

Did Hoiberg apologize for his classless fans charging the court and throwing stuff at our guys? Probably not. Therefore, dunk away EJ! Dunk right on their d-bag faces. AHHHH!

planojayhawk 1 year, 9 months ago

EJ,

No apology needed. Keep on dunking whenever you have a chance to, till the last second of the game.

Screw these "I have so much class" fans. They are probably those old farts sitting on their behinds the whole game in AFH these days.

Man up from now on every game. Go have fun and wishing more games like this for you the rest of this season.

oldalum 1 year, 9 months ago

Agreed. I believe EJ was totally in attack mode, and when he saw a clear path to the basket, the amount of time left on the clock probably never entered his head.

FearlessJayhawk 1 year, 9 months ago

I just hope this game gets KU out of the shooting funk for good. Both teams shot lights out. I have a feeling it's going to take career performances from various players here on out in order to cut down the nets in April. I really great to see teams that can shoot well. I'm tired of watching these games in the 50's and 60's.