Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Straight shooter: Freshman Andrew White prides himself on his shot

Kansas newcomer Andrew White.

Kansas newcomer Andrew White.

photo

Kansas newcomer Andrew White.

Andrew White was feeling fidgety.

His mother, Sheryl, had just left the Kansas University campus, and White figured he needed to do something productive on his first night by himself in Lawrence last month.

So White, KU’s 6-foot-6 freshman guard, made his way to the Jayhawks’ practice gym, working by himself with the shooting machine just before midnight.

He hoisted 150 three-pointers.

And made 135 of them.

“On the offensive end of the court,” White said, “shooting a basketball is what will get me on the court.”

So far in the summer, White has been determined to stay sharp at his best skill.

The native Virginian and product of Miller School in Charlottesville has developed his own shooting routine called “500 Drill.” He has 10 locations marked on the court, five of them from 17 feet away and the other five from three-point range.

White starts by putting up 50 shots from one of the two-point range locations, then extends out to the three-point line to take 50 shots there.

After that, he rotates back inside to a different spot for 50 more two-pointers, following that with 50 threes. He stops when he gets to 500 makes.

The whole process takes just under an hour, and White’s goal is to make 80 percent of his shots.

Just last week, he made 500 of 592 —good for 84.5 percent.

“A lot of people say, ‘I shot this amount of shots,’ (but) I go off my makes and my percentage, just because that’s a little more realistic,” White said. “Anybody can shoot 1,000 shots, but not many people say, ‘I shot 1,000 shots at 80 percent.’ So I pride my game offensively on the jump shot, and that’s just something … it takes a lot of repetition.”

White, who shoots on his own three or four times a week, has his own rules for the drill as well. For example, he’ll take 50 or 100 shots to warm up, but once he decides to start, there’s no reset button. If he misses the first 10 shots, he doesn’t start over.

The freshman estimates that he hits his 80-percent goal about one-third of the time.

“I try to put myself in the game on every shot. I try to shoot them all the exact same way, get them off with speed so that when I shoot five or 10 in live practice, the plan is for them to go in,” White said. “That’s why I do that. It’s a big psyche thing. I feel like if I make 500 shots at 80 percent, there’s no reason why, dead tired in practice with coach screaming at me, I shouldn’t be able to make shots.”

White credits much of his shooting success — he made 49 percent of his threes as a senior at Miller School last year — to his father, Andrew White Jr.

During his early high school days, the Whites would make the 10-minute trip to the local YMCA nearly every day.

Andrew Jr., who was a shooting specialist at Div. II basketball Morehouse College, would start his son an inch from the hoop, having him flick his wrist to mimic the follow-through on his jump shot.

Pretty soon, Andrew III would back up to the perimeter, where he’d shoot flat-footed three-pointers. Andrew Jr. even would instruct his son on how to push the ball straight to have better accuracy on half-court shots.

Andrew III heard a few points of instruction often. “Right side” was meant to remind him that the ball needed to line up with his right knee, his right foot and his right eye. “Nine and three” reminded him the location his hands should be on the basketball — at 9 o’clock and 3 o’clock — just before repositioning to hoist a free throw.

There was also, “Got to make the jumper” — a saying that Andrew III says he still hears often.

“Both of us have noticed that the jump shot is a lost art,” White said. “A lot of people can dunk. A lot of people can rebound, dribble a million different ways. But there’s not a whole lot of pure jump-shooters out there. So that’s what I hope to be this year.”

White’s teammates already have taken notice of his shooting ability.

A few of them have even been yelling out “Ray Allen” — referring to the Miami Heat sharpshooter — when White puts up a shot during summer practices.

“That’s because I’ve been making them and probably shooting them a lot,” White said with a laugh. “I guess that’s a good nickname to have. I’ll take it.”

As for the 500 drill, White said he hopes one day to break 90 percent.

“It seems crazy, but one at a time, I should be able to get that eventually,” White said with a smile. “I’m just 6 percent off.”

Comments

jayhawkinnc 2 years ago

I love this kid's work ethic! And from previous articles I've read on this site, he seems like a great kid too. RCJH!

hawk316 2 years ago

Definitely impressive. Now if Andrew puts as much focus and dedication to the rest of his game, especially Bill Self defense, he will truly be something special.

okiedave 2 years ago

If names have any significance? Remember Jo Jo White? One great shooter.

Alohahawk 2 years ago

OkieDokie Dave. :>) Who can ever forget Jo Jo White, always one of the legendary KU greats in basketball! As for the name "White", add it to KU's colors and you have "Crimson, White and Blue". Not a bad addition for the Jayhawk Nation's flag.

Andrew, you sound like you're the typical gym rat, which could be termed as a pseudonym for what Jayhawk basketball player's are all about. Look forward to watching you drain your share of 3's (and 2's) during your Jayhawk career.

swkhawk24 2 years ago

he'll be a good one, the work ethic is there. i already know he'll be an assassin from long range

ahpersecoachingexperience 2 years ago

I did the same "shot" routine just to get through a Turner Gill coached football game!

JayDocMD 2 years ago

I imagine you also registered close to 0.8

jayhawks1009 2 years ago

Hopefully he can actually be like ray allen

KanFan27 2 years ago

Did Ray Allen get traded from the Celtics?

jayhawkinATL 2 years ago

I believe he is with the Heat now.

dylans 2 years ago

Not traded he just left as a free agent.

Scott MacWilliams 2 years ago

500 for 592??? Holy Schmokes!!
That is amazing! And he's looking to improve? Go for 90% from all over the floor?
I just love having sons of coaches, it ALWAYS pays off big time!
This is going to be a very exciting team to watch, to say the least.

R O C K C H A L K, J A Y H A W K S ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

KEITHMILES05 2 years ago

Happy he is here. Sounds like he comes from good genes.

t25avery 2 years ago

It was Jesus Shuttlesworth! But I am excited to watch this kid play!

jaybate 2 years ago

Nickname =ATray

Next, consider EJ, Ben, and ATrey in when pussies like Failor and Syrxcuse play zone.

Or m2m teams try to double Jeff with a sagging wing.

S T R E T C H !

Chris Shaw 2 years ago

Much of what Downtown Terry Brown did behind the arc in the early nineties.....................I got a good feeling about, "Green Light Andrew White"!

jaybate 2 years ago

Father White = most astute.

If ATrey can guard and protect, then...

ATrey = money.

Dirk Medema 2 years ago

"If Atrey can guard." So tru.

EJ needs to set him down a fill him in on the facts of life Coach Self style. O will get you minutes of the bench, but it's D that will get you starter minutes and the majority of them.

nuleafjhawk 2 years ago

I'll be happy if he can make 40% with 16,300 (or so) fans screaming and a defender or two in his face.

But, you have to love his work ethic !!

Martin Rosenblum 2 years ago

"...working by himself with the shooting machine.."

Sounds like he IS the shooting machine!

jhawkrulz 2 years ago

You can edit your original post now...as an FYI.

jhox 2 years ago

It will be nice to have a really reliable outside shooter again. That was our biggest weakness last year.

One thing I noticed when I was young is that most good shooters have the ability to alter their arch depending on how well defended thet are, and still hit the shot. That's something that has to be practiced. If you're not being defended a relatively flat shot is a higher percentage shot. Watch when guys get a soft shooters roll, it is usually a relatively flat shot hitting the rim with less downward speed. For every foot of extra height you shoot it, you add two foot to the length of the shot (one foot up, one back down) and that downward extra foot means gravity has sped the ball up. More speed means less chance of getting a shooters' roll. I've watched a lot of bad free throw shooters over the years and wondered how much better they could be if they shot the ball a little lower and got some of those friendly rolls.

Watch Larry Bird video. When guarded he had the ability to put a lot more arch on the ball, and still hit the shot. When not guarded his shot was flatter. I'm surprised this isn't a focus of coaching shooters. I used to practice shooting from the same spots but shooting the ball at different heights. It is amazing how much better you get when you don't just shoot the exact same way from the same spot every time.

jaybate 2 years ago

Your comment on shooting is one of the most insightful I have read. Thx!

lv_jhwk 2 years ago

Shooter's touch relies on several different keys. Ball rotation (backspin) is probably at the top of the list, while arc on the shot would be much farther down.

In fact, the arc of the shot is more likely to affect whether the ball simply goes through the hoop or not. Simply put, the more arc on a shot, the greater chance for the ball to go in. Of course too much arc brings in other issues, so that's why most coaches stress shooting at a 45-degree angle.

As to the general point of your post, yes, better shooters are able to modify their shots to some degree when necessary and still remain consistent. That much I can agree with.

jhox 2 years ago

Back spin is important too. No question about that. I see too many of today's shooters who impart a bit of side spin, not correcting with the release hand for the fact that the elbow can't come up the center of the body. Your comment about the more arc the greater the chance of the ball going in is somewhat right (in terms of improving your chances of not making contact with he rim) but that's only if you don't take into account the fact that by increasing the arc you're also increasing the distance of the shot, and the longer distance the shot travels, the more difficult it is to make it. Also, the farther down it travels (from it's peak height) the faster it is going, and if it even nicks the rim at a higher speed, you've reduced the chances of it going in. But to me the biggest key is not making the ball travel any more than it has to to get over the front of the rim without touching it. Too flat and you reduce your chances of making it significantly. Too arched and you reduce your chances of a favorable roll or bounce, and also increase the distance of the shot unnecessarily.

I played a lot of ball and enjoyed the physics classes I took in college, so I tend to analyze things like this, as you can obvously tell from my long winded explanations here.

Alex Resnik 2 years ago

I believe your a little wrong in the "higher the arc, the longer the shot" theory... Here is my reasoning, if you shoot the same shot, one at a 10 degree angle and another at a 50 degree angle, the 50 degree angle will travel further in the air further. So the flatter the shot, the more work you have to put into it. Now, if the ball arc is too high, then yes, i believe your point to be true, but i would change a couple of things in a persons shot before i make them have a flatter shot.

areyouserious 2 years ago

jhox, your assessment of shooting couldnt be farther from reality. The higher the arch the higher percentage you will see from any shooter. The ball has a much better opportunity to go into the rim from well above the rim versus coming in flat. two balls can fall thru the hoop if dropped directly above the rim at the same time. This would be virtually impossible with a flat shot. Therefore a higher arch is much more efficient for shooters. Look at all the shooters in the league with high percentages, rarely are they flat shooters. Your comment on the speed of the ball and gravity has some validity, however, that can easily be adjusted by slowing down the wrist when released. Shooting is an art that requires multiple moving parts to work in harmony - arms, hands, legs, feet, eyes. Timing and release are critical and all good shooters shoot the ball when going up, not at the top of their jump, and not when coming down from their jump.

I do agree with your assessment about being able to change your shot depending on the defense and location on the court, this is something that all great shooters can do. Its impossible to teach, only a kid with the desire to be a great shooter will learn it over time by spending countless hours in the gym. This kid's desire is impressive.

I could go into alot of shooting technicalities that Andrew could do a little different to see improved percentages, however 80% is hard to argue with. Keep doing what works. Its all about muscle memory!

And he is absolutely right, the art of shooting has been lost throughout the game of basketball. Dunking is the new shooting!

jhox 2 years ago

Again, I agree that in the absence of other variables a ball dropped from directly above the (center) of the rim has more margin for error, but you completely ignore the variables of the distance added to the shot, and the speed of the ball added by gravity as it descends from a higher altitude. A ball moving faster has less margin for error if it so much as nicks the rim. Don't misinterpret my use of the words flat or flatter (I admittedly did a poor job explaining that.) Too flat and you're absolutely correct, but there is an optimal arch for any particular distance of shot, that will result in friendlier rolls if the ball nicks the rim, and minimize the distance that he ball travels during the shot. There has to be enough arc to clear the front, and not bang off the back, obviously.

In general a shorter shot is going to be an easier shot (though there are a lot of guys who are better 3 point shooters than they are 10 or 15 foot shooters, but that's because they practice the 3 a lot more and don't work on the intermediate shot.) Consider a 21 foot shot that is taken with an optimal arc and compare it to a shot from the same position on the floor, but 2 feet higher than optimal. You've turned that 21 foot shot and made it travel 4 foot further than necessary. It has to be lower percentage, in general, if it is traveling 4 foot further. That doesn't mean it isn't going in, but it is going to be a lower percentage shot. It has to be.

In any event, I appeciate the differing views. It's fun to debate these things. It is rare to find anyone who has really put a lot of thought into the art of shooting.

Jack Wilson 2 years ago

jhox: Nice post .. great example is the bank shot. It is a much easier shot to hit, many times, with less arc than your normal jumper.

But I think areyouserious is generally correct that the higher the arc, the better chance of the ball going in. But his analysis is simply based on angles (related to arc). Not specifically related to shooting. Otherwise you'd just shoot the ball to the ceiling. But excellent points -- softer shots are the ones that have proper arc (except for ridiculous examples).

A shot with less arc has more speed to hit the rim from 15 feet because gravity would take it to the ground, than a properly arched shot, as gravity taking it from it's peak creates less speed than the line drive.

In teaching shooting, there is an arc "sweet spot" for each shooter. The general rule is that more arc is better. But to a point. You have to be able to control the distance of the shot, and that decreases if the arc is too steep. And as iv_jhwk pointed out, many coaches teach a 45 degree angle, some a bit more.

But clearly, jhox is correct. different shots call for different arc angles. And the best shooters can adjust. The bank shot is an excellent example as a more sharp/low angle can be better many times, even from great distances.

Just my opinion.

Lash 1 year, 11 months ago

Free throw shooting cost us more losses than outside shooting. Self didn't want us shooting long range.......

KemDooKU 2 years ago

Wow - I would say all the pieces are there for a really good season. Besides being 14 deep - we have everything a team needs- Shot Blocker- inside muscle- outside scoring threat- inside scoring threat- blazing speed- great passing inside and out- only thing left is a 2013 National Championship trophy.

clevelandjayhawker 2 years ago

I get more excited every article about the basketball team (football for that matter also), I like being the underdog, I like hearing how great our opponents are, I like us not expected to win. We have a lot of freshmen and i expect a lot of growing pains, but if this team can click come late January or so....we might be playing in April. My other fear is guys wanting to transfer due to a lack of PT. Trying to keep my expectations low, but it’s not easy.

jaybate 2 years ago

Some basic concepts to formalize:

-curvilinear distance given arch.

-ball speed at rim given curvilinear distance and gravitational effect.

-rate of reduction in dampening effect of back spin given increases in ball speed.

-effective rim opening (rim diameter front to back given angle of entry).

HAWKTOPIA 2 years ago

I like this guy already! The game has evolved to allow late and moving picks. A player like Andrew will thrive coming around high screens and firing away for 80%.

REHawk 2 years ago

Good article, Jesse. High percentage shooting is precisely what we need in order to keep teams from smothering Withey. We know what Travis and EJ are capable of on both ends of the court. If BenMac, Perry and Andrew can blend quickly with their own specific talents, striving to protect the ball and defend mercilessly, we could see some really exciting individual and team productions this season. With so many newcomers, we are in for some rough moments until the machinery becomes well oiled in midFebruary. The last third of the season could be splendiferous. So many players available to do so many different things! I could see us dropping out of the top 10 in January, then going on an absolute tear to establish national dominance by March tournament time.

Chris Shaw 2 years ago

The thing I like about Andrew White is that he is never in a hurry. And........he's not just a shooter as he does have a knack for getting to the rim. Paul Pierce left Kansas 6'6" (Profile always said 6'7", but I would bet closer to 6'6") and 220lbs, but came to kansas around 210 lbs.

I know it's a lofty comparison, but I do see a little Paul Pierce in Andrew White at 6'6 and 205 lbs. We'll see if any of that game translates at the college level.

notjustbread 2 years ago

as long this isn't the 80% shooting machine, we will be okay.

Ron Prichard 2 years ago

I can't hit 80% on that!

TysonHawk37 2 years ago

My kids and I had the privilege of meeting Andrew, Anrio, Ben McLemore and Nikko Roberts at a basketball clinic this past Tuesday. Not only was it a joy to see how talented Andrew and the rest of these guys are, it was great to see how well they interacted with the kids. Andrew was super polite and came across as being very mature. I'm delighted that this young man is a Jayhawk! I love players w/ great character and a solid work ethic. Great things to come from Andrew!!!

James Kiernan 2 years ago

I think its great that he is so offensively skilled, but he will quickly learn that he is mistaken and his his shot will not earn him playing time. For Coach Self, everything starts at the defensive end playing tough, stubborn D then transition offense.

DWManion99 2 years ago

I think if you reread the quote you will see he was referring to what will earn him time on the offensive end of the floor and in no way was meaning that the defensive effort will somehow be less important. I seem to recall reading he was working a lot on lateral quickness, moving his feet, and was very aware that he must be able to defend at this level. Seems like he has a very teachable attitude. Should be a great year!

Tony Bandle 2 years ago

Andrew White the Third.

Sometimes the confluence of universal karma produces the perfect title for the most significant trait to insure the most magnificent result.

Ladies and gentlemen.....AW3...AnyWhere a Three

Ted Hume 2 years ago

AW3. perfect, Oak; otherwise a tired and overused abrv., but with the double meaning it's a hit. everyone agree? good. start printing T-shirts Oak

Ted Hume 2 years ago

I remember reading a piece years ago about Chris Jackson then at LSU- before the (religious epiphany) undeniably one of the best shooters in the history of the sport, discussing a similar routine, with astonishing percentages. he would literally not leave the gym until he would make, say 100 or 150 FTs in a row, or 40 3s without a miss, etc...

sports physiologists call it "muscle memory", but I call it crazy.

jaybate 2 years ago

Photo Caption:

"Young Man with a Gun"

Martin Rosenblum 2 years ago

Guns and sports don't mix!

How bout : "Young man with a goal"? Double meaning, get it?

Ron Prichard 2 years ago

I can't believe as a Jayhawk I have the enviable dilemma of not knowing which to be more excited about right now...football or basketball!! I can't wait for basketball because I want to see all these new kids come together into a great team and make another deep run in March. But I don't want to get there too quickly because I can't wait to watch HCCW and the new look football Jayhawks take the field and surprise some people with what should be a fairly potent offense led by Dayne Crist and a hopefully much improved defense helmed by Coach Campo. Only six weeks to go to the first game!

Man, I love being a Jayhawk!! Kansan by birth, Jayhawk by the grace of God!

Alohahawk 2 years ago

With a new coach in football, sporting a (hopefully) vamped up offense and defense, and with basically 10 new players added to the solid core of 3 starters from last year's BB team, you are absolutely correct. Anticipations and expectations are running high for both, but no one really knows how to bet the fields. This coming school year is going to be like reading 2 new brand new books: One from a new author, and one from a well respected best seller. Lots of surprising twists, turns and red herrings (from the sportswriters). And one can't spoil the reads because one can't jump to the endings first. In the manner of a Gomer Pyle quote, "Surprise! Surprise! Surprise!" Maybe even better: If this year proceeds as anticipated, there will be a lot of celebrating in Lawrence, Kansas and around the world by the Jayhawk Nation.

RCJHGKU!!!!! (All caps)

KGphoto 2 years ago

Sounds good. Love the dedication.

You may want to start working in some wind sprints and backboard touches between shot spots on the floor. Boot camp is a stone cold, chum-fest if you aren't ready. Besides it'll help you get ready to take the shot while running on empty.

REHawk 2 years ago

...stone cold chum-fest. Ooh, nice!

Tony Bandle 2 years ago

In my day, we would run steps....while holding our breath as long as possbile, ideally till you got to the top of the stair run. Then we would run down the steps, exhaling.

Supposedly. it builds up your long capacity.

Of course, we didn't have anywhere near the stair runs that Allen has. If you did that in Allen, all you would build up is your ability to tuck and roll before you fainted!!!

Charles Shirley 2 years ago

My guess is that if he is working that hard on his shooting he can't be too lazy on D. Can't wait to see.

REHawk 2 years ago

Wouldn't it be dandy if all these hoops veterans and recruits would be eligible and stay out of the local or national doghouse to play from game one into April. Gotta hope the marijuana news doesn't nip at the heels of anyone on the current squad, to the point that it becomes a distraction or demands punitive action. I am reminded of the sad situation regarding Josh Shelby, who is finally showcasing his shooting talents with his recent 35 points in summer developmental league play. Although Josh did some good things for the program, his 9 game penalty threw a 10 pound wrench into his and his Jayhawk squad's dreams and lateseason aspirations (although we did earn a league title). We have borne with lots of players who missed summer international play or have not been on the court from the getgo because of issues. Hopefully, this will be a season of clear sailing in regards to eligibility and discipline.

jhawkrulz 2 years ago

Who is Josh Shelby?

I know we had a Josh Selby on our Jayhawk team a couple of years ago that made a nice run in the NCAA tournament, won a Big XII title, and the team won 35+ games that year. I'm not sure what you are referring to when you reference certain things and people that did not have one legal or academic problem while on campus.

REHawk 2 years ago

I apologize for the spelling (poor proofreading). Did I talk about legal or academic problems while on campus? You might consider some research. Morningstar, Little, Hawkins, (Taylor/EJ?) caught some press over problems while enrolled. The Morii, Selby, Traylor, McLemore had h.s. academic or eligibility problems which caused them to miss games. Hey, I was/am a huge Selby fan. But he might have made much more of a Jayhawk impact if he had showed up with a clean slate; and probably would have improved his NBA draft status and earning power if he had played those 9 games. Have I schooled you?

REHawk 2 years ago

Oops, forgot TRob's arrest in the bar incident. And, of course, we lived through the Giddens and Giles legal debacles. jhawkrulz, have you slept through all these incidents?

jaybate 2 years ago

REHawk,

People are struggling through some denial about the possible fallout from the pot case, which could be considerable under certain scenarios.

And they have always struggled with the unfulfilled expectations of Josh. He was one of the greatest prospects we've ever had at guard. Period. He just arrived late, got injured early, and never got to do his thing for us long enough for some board rats not to be let down.

I get you on both counts.

REHawk 2 years ago

Appreciate your power to discern. There are some 3" thick skulls on this site.

jaybate 2 years ago

"Some jNS Board Rat News Downdates"

☞ OakvilleJHawk has announced he will no longer use the hammer and chisel on stone method to write the first drafts of his posts and will finally compose directly on the keyboard. Look for his posting to increase in frequency and for him to become even more reviled than jaybate for going long.

☞ JayDogger will soon depart for Nepal and a stay at the Katmandu Motel 6, where he and Tom Bodette will practice deep breathing exercises with the Dali Lama in order to help JayDogger develop the inner peace required to read jaybate's Uppanishad length posts. And Tom will leave the enlightenment on.

☞ ralster is developing an elaborate new set of ASCII notations for separating his paragraphs and will unveil these for the first beating of Bruce Weber.

☞ HEM, refreshed from a recent trip to a remote oasis for the statistically conservative called Club 95% Confidence Interval, will point out the statistical improbability of jaybate ever going short more than 30% of the time.

☞ REHawk will confess that in fact he is James Naismith and that James Naismith did discover the fountain of youth but then put the formula in a time capsule to be opened in 2100, because he did not think humanity ready for the fun and loss that come with longevity.

☞GlobalJaybird will very shortly explain how he retains his sanity and politeness, while seeming to read most of the posts here at KUSports.com, but he will withhold one key ingredient of his approach thinking, because he suspects the world is not quite ready for Missourians discovering the key to such civilized behavior.

☞ Slayr will admit that while he did play college basketball once, it was in the 19th, not the 20th Century, and that he still holds a grudge about having had to play for KU's only coach with a losing record--James Naismith. On a positive note, he will also disclose that he was the first player ever to dunk a basketball, and that he tore down the peach basket doing it.

☞jross1972 will announce that he has now generated over 137 serial aliases, while trying find his old St. Benedicts play book to see if it made any references to "glue man."

Ted Hume 2 years ago

"...elaborate new set of ASCII notations for separating his paragraphs" LOLROFLMALOLFAA!

Alohahawk 2 years ago

Ahh! If the censor board could only interpret the letters "A" and "F" you'd be suspended without pay for a month. (LMFAO, I think?)

Alohahawk 2 years ago

Ever wonder if maybe Jaybate played football and his coach told him, "Go long."? And maybe it has stuck with him throughout his life. "Go long, Jaybate. Go long" :>)

jaybate 2 years ago

☞kennethst will disclose that he has just returned from Scotland, where he closed a deal with a legendary maker of spirits to produce a boutique labelled scotch called GlennJayhawk, the bottles will be blue, the labels will be crimson, and the logo will be a large plaid K backed by his own family's coat of arms.

☞ BlownJay will appear in New York City, San Francisco and Mexico City simultanesouly, with a recent genetically engineered clone of Jack Kerouac developed by DARPA, and both will give a joint reading of "The Scripture of the Golden Eternity," and shortly thereafter jaybate will label them the new leaders of "the Blown Generation."

☞ yates33333 will reveal that the number in his alias refers to the number of grammatical errors he corrected in the single worst year of his teaching career.

☞ Alohahawk will finally confirm that before retiring from the US Navy he scavenged some soon to be obsolete deep ocean microphones and mounted them on his roof and that with them he is able to eavesdrop on everything Bill Self and Joe Dooley say to each other during games without ever leaving his lanai.

☞ The alias Tom Keegan (tkeegan) will announce that he has quit smoking cigars and started smoking tightly coiled Addidas shoestrings dipped in Irish Mist.

☞memhawk will appear on Ellen and admit that he once impersonated Elvis dunking a basketball in a white leisure suit in a superstitious attempt to help KU win a game.

☞ahpersecoachingexperience will soon accuse Coach Self of stealing his identity and then using it to under recruit with.

(Note: todos ficciones. No malicia.)

Alohahawk 2 years ago

For those unfamiliar with Hawaiian lingo, "Lanai" is Hawaiian for "Balcony". Your signal is coming in loud and clear, Jaybate. Echo. Echo. Charlie. Bravo. Oops, that was top secret stuff left over from the last DEFCOM situation room chatter.

It's when too many brewskies have been inhaled that I have a hard time interpreting what Self and Dooley have cooked up in the huddle. I thought I heard them discussing "Drew on the Bar B" once during a Baylor game. And the censor board wouldn't let this go through if I mentioned what they had planned for Missery. Something about an outhouse and... well, I'll leave the rest to your imagination.

Jason Keller 2 years ago

What a great kid to have. Good work ethic, high character AND talented. I think he is definitely going to see some action his freshman year.

jaybate 2 years ago

"A Lunatic Fringe Idea That Will One Day Soon Become Status Quo"

It is time for basketball players to start wearing these skin tight suits swimmers and certain track sprinters wear. Lots of the players already wear spandex beneath their uniforms.

Its time for KU to pioneer this.

The last few year's uniforms have been nice, but undistinguished.

I fought jams for awhile, but realize they were evolution/revolution.

The next evolution/revolution in hoops is skin tights.

The Fab Five kind of popularized the long shorts.

Be first this time, KU.

Jayhawk3 2 years ago

Sounds like I don't want to challenge Andrew White for HORSE! Although if I ever make a team for HORSE, he could be my first pick.

DDDHawk 2 years ago

Andrew, I love your work ethic! All that hard work will pay off! Thanks in advance!

Lance Hobson 2 years ago

Bring back the Jams!! Oh wait, they were kind of stupid, weren't they?

I loved this story and am in such a better mood having read it. I'm with BigManU but with a shortened version: "Green Light White." It's gonna stick. I love this kid!

Translation for AlohaJayhawk: This kid is going to make choke threes brah!

prusso25 2 years ago

Size, pedigree, mild personality, humble, kobe-esque work ethic and dedication to fundamentals/defense. This guy is the definition of Jayhawk basketball. Kentucky can have their arrogant OAD guys, we'll take guys like this!

HawkKlaw 2 years ago

KU rarely has "pure" sharpshooters on the roster like White. It seems like Self mostly goes with combo guards that can dribble and drive (yet can still hit some outside shots when they need to; see Tyshawn Taylor or Elijah Johnson). I've felt like KU has needed a sharpshooter like White for a long time. As we see every year, sometimes it only takes one hot-handed three-point shooter to scrounge up a win come NCAA tournament time.

jaybate 2 years ago

Self and Calipari have one thing in common.

They are each in their own ways proving that six, or seven guys are how you win 30+ and challenge in the tournament.

Winning 30+ requires two good bigs that will be draft choices, and a backup, plus three good perimeter guys, one or two good enough to be drafted that season or the season after, plus one back up.

Actually winning a ring requires all that plus a lottery pick 3, like Rush, or Kidd-Gilchrist, or else you have to be playing for a ring during a season when there is not lottery pick three like Rush, or Kidd-Gilchrist.

Parker and Wainwright are the only two guys that could be a Rush, or a Kidd Gilchrist, and neither one is really the man.

Parker has it all except he's not a stud, he is a finesse guy. Finesse 3s are dead ends in Madness when the whistles are swallowed.

Wainwright is a stud, but apparently he can't shoot the trey at 40%, so he can't fill the bill either.

Hence, Self is likely to focus on the power forwards and the point guards to keep KU strong and deep down the middle, while he looks for a knock out 3 in the following class.

Without the knock out 3, and all the other necessary pieces, its still all a crap shoot in the Madness.

With the knock out 3, and the other necessary pieces, you really have to screw up not to win it.

KU either really screwed up with Xavier, or he wasn't nearly the player he appeared. He was a knock out three that should have put them over the top, but the X man appeared to sand bag to stay healthy, or else he just looked way better than he actually was, and KU never really could intimidate anyone with him.

Rush and Kidd-Gilchrist; these are the proto types that stretch other teams to the breaking points, so the down the middle players (impact point guard and big) can go off like sticks of dynamite.

bennybob 2 years ago

before last year wasn't Self's m.o. to go 8-9 deep?

jaybate 2 years ago

And the above reasoning is why my recruiting wet dream would be landing Julius Randle to play a big with Zach, with Landon as the backup; then move Perry to 3 and, voila, he would be the knock out 3. Ring time.

bennybob 2 years ago

Come on HEM, you know how this always plays out.

Self really only wants those players if they end up signing here. If they don't they didn't "fit Selfs system" and are not as good as the fall back options the staff will bring in instead.

i agree with Chris Walker as target #1.

bennybob 2 years ago

"doing a Shaka"

you should trademark that! ha!

brooksmd 2 years ago

ESPN Chicago reporting Milton Doyle has recieved the NCAA blessing and is eligible to play.

REHawk 2 years ago