Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Straight shooter: Freshman Andrew White prides himself on his shot

Kansas newcomer Andrew White.

Kansas newcomer Andrew White.

photo

Kansas newcomer Andrew White.

Andrew White was feeling fidgety.

His mother, Sheryl, had just left the Kansas University campus, and White figured he needed to do something productive on his first night by himself in Lawrence last month.

So White, KU’s 6-foot-6 freshman guard, made his way to the Jayhawks’ practice gym, working by himself with the shooting machine just before midnight.

He hoisted 150 three-pointers.

And made 135 of them.

“On the offensive end of the court,” White said, “shooting a basketball is what will get me on the court.”

So far in the summer, White has been determined to stay sharp at his best skill.

The native Virginian and product of Miller School in Charlottesville has developed his own shooting routine called “500 Drill.” He has 10 locations marked on the court, five of them from 17 feet away and the other five from three-point range.

White starts by putting up 50 shots from one of the two-point range locations, then extends out to the three-point line to take 50 shots there.

After that, he rotates back inside to a different spot for 50 more two-pointers, following that with 50 threes. He stops when he gets to 500 makes.

The whole process takes just under an hour, and White’s goal is to make 80 percent of his shots.

Just last week, he made 500 of 592 —good for 84.5 percent.

“A lot of people say, ‘I shot this amount of shots,’ (but) I go off my makes and my percentage, just because that’s a little more realistic,” White said. “Anybody can shoot 1,000 shots, but not many people say, ‘I shot 1,000 shots at 80 percent.’ So I pride my game offensively on the jump shot, and that’s just something … it takes a lot of repetition.”

White, who shoots on his own three or four times a week, has his own rules for the drill as well. For example, he’ll take 50 or 100 shots to warm up, but once he decides to start, there’s no reset button. If he misses the first 10 shots, he doesn’t start over.

The freshman estimates that he hits his 80-percent goal about one-third of the time.

“I try to put myself in the game on every shot. I try to shoot them all the exact same way, get them off with speed so that when I shoot five or 10 in live practice, the plan is for them to go in,” White said. “That’s why I do that. It’s a big psyche thing. I feel like if I make 500 shots at 80 percent, there’s no reason why, dead tired in practice with coach screaming at me, I shouldn’t be able to make shots.”

White credits much of his shooting success — he made 49 percent of his threes as a senior at Miller School last year — to his father, Andrew White Jr.

During his early high school days, the Whites would make the 10-minute trip to the local YMCA nearly every day.

Andrew Jr., who was a shooting specialist at Div. II basketball Morehouse College, would start his son an inch from the hoop, having him flick his wrist to mimic the follow-through on his jump shot.

Pretty soon, Andrew III would back up to the perimeter, where he’d shoot flat-footed three-pointers. Andrew Jr. even would instruct his son on how to push the ball straight to have better accuracy on half-court shots.

Andrew III heard a few points of instruction often. “Right side” was meant to remind him that the ball needed to line up with his right knee, his right foot and his right eye. “Nine and three” reminded him the location his hands should be on the basketball — at 9 o’clock and 3 o’clock — just before repositioning to hoist a free throw.

There was also, “Got to make the jumper” — a saying that Andrew III says he still hears often.

“Both of us have noticed that the jump shot is a lost art,” White said. “A lot of people can dunk. A lot of people can rebound, dribble a million different ways. But there’s not a whole lot of pure jump-shooters out there. So that’s what I hope to be this year.”

White’s teammates already have taken notice of his shooting ability.

A few of them have even been yelling out “Ray Allen” — referring to the Miami Heat sharpshooter — when White puts up a shot during summer practices.

“That’s because I’ve been making them and probably shooting them a lot,” White said with a laugh. “I guess that’s a good nickname to have. I’ll take it.”

As for the 500 drill, White said he hopes one day to break 90 percent.

“It seems crazy, but one at a time, I should be able to get that eventually,” White said with a smile. “I’m just 6 percent off.”

Comments

REHawk 1 year, 8 months ago

Congratulations, Milt...and Bill!

HawkKlaw 1 year, 8 months ago

KU rarely has "pure" sharpshooters on the roster like White. It seems like Self mostly goes with combo guards that can dribble and drive (yet can still hit some outside shots when they need to; see Tyshawn Taylor or Elijah Johnson). I've felt like KU has needed a sharpshooter like White for a long time. As we see every year, sometimes it only takes one hot-handed three-point shooter to scrounge up a win come NCAA tournament time.

prusso25 1 year, 9 months ago

Size, pedigree, mild personality, humble, kobe-esque work ethic and dedication to fundamentals/defense. This guy is the definition of Jayhawk basketball. Kentucky can have their arrogant OAD guys, we'll take guys like this!

Lance Hobson 1 year, 9 months ago

Bring back the Jams!! Oh wait, they were kind of stupid, weren't they?

I loved this story and am in such a better mood having read it. I'm with BigManU but with a shortened version: "Green Light White." It's gonna stick. I love this kid!

Translation for AlohaJayhawk: This kid is going to make choke threes brah!

DDDHawk 1 year, 9 months ago

Andrew, I love your work ethic! All that hard work will pay off! Thanks in advance!

Jayhawk3 1 year, 9 months ago

Sounds like I don't want to challenge Andrew White for HORSE! Although if I ever make a team for HORSE, he could be my first pick.

jaybate 1 year, 9 months ago

"A Lunatic Fringe Idea That Will One Day Soon Become Status Quo"

It is time for basketball players to start wearing these skin tight suits swimmers and certain track sprinters wear. Lots of the players already wear spandex beneath their uniforms.

Its time for KU to pioneer this.

The last few year's uniforms have been nice, but undistinguished.

I fought jams for awhile, but realize they were evolution/revolution.

The next evolution/revolution in hoops is skin tights.

The Fab Five kind of popularized the long shorts.

Be first this time, KU.

Jason Keller 1 year, 9 months ago

What a great kid to have. Good work ethic, high character AND talented. I think he is definitely going to see some action his freshman year.

jaybate 1 year, 9 months ago

☞kennethst will disclose that he has just returned from Scotland, where he closed a deal with a legendary maker of spirits to produce a boutique labelled scotch called GlennJayhawk, the bottles will be blue, the labels will be crimson, and the logo will be a large plaid K backed by his own family's coat of arms.

☞ BlownJay will appear in New York City, San Francisco and Mexico City simultanesouly, with a recent genetically engineered clone of Jack Kerouac developed by DARPA, and both will give a joint reading of "The Scripture of the Golden Eternity," and shortly thereafter jaybate will label them the new leaders of "the Blown Generation."

☞ yates33333 will reveal that the number in his alias refers to the number of grammatical errors he corrected in the single worst year of his teaching career.

☞ Alohahawk will finally confirm that before retiring from the US Navy he scavenged some soon to be obsolete deep ocean microphones and mounted them on his roof and that with them he is able to eavesdrop on everything Bill Self and Joe Dooley say to each other during games without ever leaving his lanai.

☞ The alias Tom Keegan (tkeegan) will announce that he has quit smoking cigars and started smoking tightly coiled Addidas shoestrings dipped in Irish Mist.

☞memhawk will appear on Ellen and admit that he once impersonated Elvis dunking a basketball in a white leisure suit in a superstitious attempt to help KU win a game.

☞ahpersecoachingexperience will soon accuse Coach Self of stealing his identity and then using it to under recruit with.

(Note: todos ficciones. No malicia.)

jaybate 1 year, 9 months ago

"Some jNS Board Rat News Downdates"

☞ OakvilleJHawk has announced he will no longer use the hammer and chisel on stone method to write the first drafts of his posts and will finally compose directly on the keyboard. Look for his posting to increase in frequency and for him to become even more reviled than jaybate for going long.

☞ JayDogger will soon depart for Nepal and a stay at the Katmandu Motel 6, where he and Tom Bodette will practice deep breathing exercises with the Dali Lama in order to help JayDogger develop the inner peace required to read jaybate's Uppanishad length posts. And Tom will leave the enlightenment on.

☞ ralster is developing an elaborate new set of ASCII notations for separating his paragraphs and will unveil these for the first beating of Bruce Weber.

☞ HEM, refreshed from a recent trip to a remote oasis for the statistically conservative called Club 95% Confidence Interval, will point out the statistical improbability of jaybate ever going short more than 30% of the time.

☞ REHawk will confess that in fact he is James Naismith and that James Naismith did discover the fountain of youth but then put the formula in a time capsule to be opened in 2100, because he did not think humanity ready for the fun and loss that come with longevity.

☞GlobalJaybird will very shortly explain how he retains his sanity and politeness, while seeming to read most of the posts here at KUSports.com, but he will withhold one key ingredient of his approach thinking, because he suspects the world is not quite ready for Missourians discovering the key to such civilized behavior.

☞ Slayr will admit that while he did play college basketball once, it was in the 19th, not the 20th Century, and that he still holds a grudge about having had to play for KU's only coach with a losing record--James Naismith. On a positive note, he will also disclose that he was the first player ever to dunk a basketball, and that he tore down the peach basket doing it.

☞jross1972 will announce that he has now generated over 137 serial aliases, while trying find his old St. Benedicts play book to see if it made any references to "glue man."

REHawk 1 year, 9 months ago

Wouldn't it be dandy if all these hoops veterans and recruits would be eligible and stay out of the local or national doghouse to play from game one into April. Gotta hope the marijuana news doesn't nip at the heels of anyone on the current squad, to the point that it becomes a distraction or demands punitive action. I am reminded of the sad situation regarding Josh Shelby, who is finally showcasing his shooting talents with his recent 35 points in summer developmental league play. Although Josh did some good things for the program, his 9 game penalty threw a 10 pound wrench into his and his Jayhawk squad's dreams and lateseason aspirations (although we did earn a league title). We have borne with lots of players who missed summer international play or have not been on the court from the getgo because of issues. Hopefully, this will be a season of clear sailing in regards to eligibility and discipline.

Jay Dogger 1 year, 9 months ago

The kid has balls. Apparently hundreds of them. I wonder how he fits them all into his bag?

Charles Shirley 1 year, 9 months ago

My guess is that if he is working that hard on his shooting he can't be too lazy on D. Can't wait to see.

Tony Bandle 1 year, 9 months ago

In my day, we would run steps....while holding our breath as long as possbile, ideally till you got to the top of the stair run. Then we would run down the steps, exhaling.

Supposedly. it builds up your long capacity.

Of course, we didn't have anywhere near the stair runs that Allen has. If you did that in Allen, all you would build up is your ability to tuck and roll before you fainted!!!

KGphoto 1 year, 9 months ago

Sounds good. Love the dedication.

You may want to start working in some wind sprints and backboard touches between shot spots on the floor. Boot camp is a stone cold, chum-fest if you aren't ready. Besides it'll help you get ready to take the shot while running on empty.

Ron Prichard 1 year, 9 months ago

I can't believe as a Jayhawk I have the enviable dilemma of not knowing which to be more excited about right now...football or basketball!! I can't wait for basketball because I want to see all these new kids come together into a great team and make another deep run in March. But I don't want to get there too quickly because I can't wait to watch HCCW and the new look football Jayhawks take the field and surprise some people with what should be a fairly potent offense led by Dayne Crist and a hopefully much improved defense helmed by Coach Campo. Only six weeks to go to the first game!

Man, I love being a Jayhawk!! Kansan by birth, Jayhawk by the grace of God!

jaybate 1 year, 9 months ago

Photo Caption:

"Young Man with a Gun"

Ted Hume 1 year, 9 months ago

I remember reading a piece years ago about Chris Jackson then at LSU- before the (religious epiphany) undeniably one of the best shooters in the history of the sport, discussing a similar routine, with astonishing percentages. he would literally not leave the gym until he would make, say 100 or 150 FTs in a row, or 40 3s without a miss, etc...

sports physiologists call it "muscle memory", but I call it crazy.

Tony Bandle 1 year, 9 months ago

Andrew White the Third.

Sometimes the confluence of universal karma produces the perfect title for the most significant trait to insure the most magnificent result.

Ladies and gentlemen.....AW3...AnyWhere a Three

James Kiernan 1 year, 9 months ago

I think its great that he is so offensively skilled, but he will quickly learn that he is mistaken and his his shot will not earn him playing time. For Coach Self, everything starts at the defensive end playing tough, stubborn D then transition offense.

TysonHawk37 1 year, 9 months ago

My kids and I had the privilege of meeting Andrew, Anrio, Ben McLemore and Nikko Roberts at a basketball clinic this past Tuesday. Not only was it a joy to see how talented Andrew and the rest of these guys are, it was great to see how well they interacted with the kids. Andrew was super polite and came across as being very mature. I'm delighted that this young man is a Jayhawk! I love players w/ great character and a solid work ethic. Great things to come from Andrew!!!

notjustbread 1 year, 9 months ago

as long this isn't the 80% shooting machine, we will be okay.

Chris Shaw 1 year, 9 months ago

The thing I like about Andrew White is that he is never in a hurry. And........he's not just a shooter as he does have a knack for getting to the rim. Paul Pierce left Kansas 6'6" (Profile always said 6'7", but I would bet closer to 6'6") and 220lbs, but came to kansas around 210 lbs.

I know it's a lofty comparison, but I do see a little Paul Pierce in Andrew White at 6'6 and 205 lbs. We'll see if any of that game translates at the college level.

REHawk 1 year, 9 months ago

Good article, Jesse. High percentage shooting is precisely what we need in order to keep teams from smothering Withey. We know what Travis and EJ are capable of on both ends of the court. If BenMac, Perry and Andrew can blend quickly with their own specific talents, striving to protect the ball and defend mercilessly, we could see some really exciting individual and team productions this season. With so many newcomers, we are in for some rough moments until the machinery becomes well oiled in midFebruary. The last third of the season could be splendiferous. So many players available to do so many different things! I could see us dropping out of the top 10 in January, then going on an absolute tear to establish national dominance by March tournament time.

HAWKTOPIA 1 year, 9 months ago

I like this guy already! The game has evolved to allow late and moving picks. A player like Andrew will thrive coming around high screens and firing away for 80%.

clevelandjayhawker 1 year, 9 months ago

I get more excited every article about the basketball team (football for that matter also), I like being the underdog, I like hearing how great our opponents are, I like us not expected to win. We have a lot of freshmen and i expect a lot of growing pains, but if this team can click come late January or so....we might be playing in April. My other fear is guys wanting to transfer due to a lack of PT. Trying to keep my expectations low, but it’s not easy.

KemDooKU 1 year, 9 months ago

Wow - I would say all the pieces are there for a really good season. Besides being 14 deep - we have everything a team needs- Shot Blocker- inside muscle- outside scoring threat- inside scoring threat- blazing speed- great passing inside and out- only thing left is a 2013 National Championship trophy.

jhox 1 year, 9 months ago

It will be nice to have a really reliable outside shooter again. That was our biggest weakness last year.

One thing I noticed when I was young is that most good shooters have the ability to alter their arch depending on how well defended thet are, and still hit the shot. That's something that has to be practiced. If you're not being defended a relatively flat shot is a higher percentage shot. Watch when guys get a soft shooters roll, it is usually a relatively flat shot hitting the rim with less downward speed. For every foot of extra height you shoot it, you add two foot to the length of the shot (one foot up, one back down) and that downward extra foot means gravity has sped the ball up. More speed means less chance of getting a shooters' roll. I've watched a lot of bad free throw shooters over the years and wondered how much better they could be if they shot the ball a little lower and got some of those friendly rolls.

Watch Larry Bird video. When guarded he had the ability to put a lot more arch on the ball, and still hit the shot. When not guarded his shot was flatter. I'm surprised this isn't a focus of coaching shooters. I used to practice shooting from the same spots but shooting the ball at different heights. It is amazing how much better you get when you don't just shoot the exact same way from the same spot every time.

Martin Rosenblum 1 year, 9 months ago

"...working by himself with the shooting machine.."

Sounds like he IS the shooting machine!

nuleafjhawk 1 year, 9 months ago

I'll be happy if he can make 40% with 16,300 (or so) fans screaming and a defender or two in his face.

But, you have to love his work ethic !!

jaybate 1 year, 9 months ago

Father White = most astute.

If ATrey can guard and protect, then...

ATrey = money.

jaybate 1 year, 9 months ago

Nickname =ATray

Next, consider EJ, Ben, and ATrey in when pussies like Failor and Syrxcuse play zone.

Or m2m teams try to double Jeff with a sagging wing.

S T R E T C H !

KEITHMILES05 1 year, 9 months ago

Happy he is here. Sounds like he comes from good genes.

Jay Dogger 1 year, 9 months ago

He has, at the very least, 6th man and glue guy written all over him. And that's just the first half of his KU career.

RCJH Go Andrew White!!!!

Scott MacWilliams 1 year, 9 months ago

500 for 592??? Holy Schmokes!!
That is amazing! And he's looking to improve? Go for 90% from all over the floor?
I just love having sons of coaches, it ALWAYS pays off big time!
This is going to be a very exciting team to watch, to say the least.

R O C K C H A L K, J A Y H A W K S ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

KanFan27 1 year, 9 months ago

Did Ray Allen get traded from the Celtics?

jayhawks1009 1 year, 9 months ago

Hopefully he can actually be like ray allen

ahpersecoachingexperience 1 year, 9 months ago

I did the same "shot" routine just to get through a Turner Gill coached football game!

swkhawk24 1 year, 9 months ago

he'll be a good one, the work ethic is there. i already know he'll be an assassin from long range

jayhawkinnc 1 year, 9 months ago

I love this kid's work ethic! And from previous articles I've read on this site, he seems like a great kid too. RCJH!