KU football finishes dead last in Big 12 media's preseason poll

In what likely came as a surprise to absolutely no one, the Kansas University football team was picked to finish last in the Big 12 Conference this season by the media members who cover the league.

Oklahoma, which garnered 32 first-place votes and 396 total points, was picked to win the league and the Jayhawks, who finished with 46 points, were picked to finish dead last.

Not only was KU picked last, it was picked last by a wide margin. Ninth-place Texas Tech, which is led by third-year coach Tommy Tuberville, received 116 points and eighth-place Iowa State finished with 121.

Below is the complete preseason poll. We'll have more on this a little later.

2012 Big 12 Football Media Preseason Poll
1. Oklahoma (32) 396
2. West Virginia (7) 339
3. Texas 291
4. Oklahoma State 267
5. TCU (1) 260
6. Kansas State (1) 257
7. Baylor 162
8. Iowa State 121
9. Texas Tech 116
10. Kansas 46
first-place votes in parentheses

Comments

Steve Jacob 10 years, 4 months ago

Shows we don't know what we got this season. Plus, the Big 12 was the deepest conference last season.

Steve Jacob 10 years, 4 months ago

And surprised KSU is down to #6, but it looks like 3-6 where pretty even.

canusayduh 10 years, 4 months ago

I would agree that 4-6 were pretty even.

irvan moore 10 years, 4 months ago

i think the jayhawks will surprise a few experts this season, seems to me the culture of winning may have arrived here a few months ago.

fu7il3 10 years, 4 months ago

35-27 in the regular season and 1-2 in bowl games is hardly a culture of winning. Weis has just as much to prove as a head coach as KU does as a team.

Chad Waetzig 10 years, 4 months ago

56% winning percentage? Where do I sign up?

Dan Pawlowski 10 years, 4 months ago

...at Notre Dame! 3 bowls appearances in 5 years. Compared to Kansas FB history I will take it.

Jayhawk1958 10 years, 4 months ago

I hope Coach Weis posts this so the players will see it and play with a chip this year.

NovatoHawk 10 years, 4 months ago

Based on the number of first place votes, there are 41 voters. If first place gets 10 points and last place gets one point, the minimum points would be 41. At least 36 of the voters put KU in the basement.

Dan Pawlowski 10 years, 4 months ago

A new superhero , Captain Obvious, is born.

Jeffrey Nichols 10 years, 4 months ago

Thanks Turner. Our steep fall became a precipitous decline in barely 2 calendar years. Amazing. Weis will be successful, and will appear all the more successful because of the depths to which Mr. Gill took us. Truly nowhere to go but up. Excited for something worth watching.

Doug Cramer 10 years, 4 months ago

Weis's success will hinge upon shoring up the D-line. If we don't get talented D-line recruits in here in this next class...this program will continue to struggle at the bottom of the big 12.

inquire 10 years, 4 months ago

Seems a bit short sighted to claim that the D line will dictate the success of a team. From where I was watching last year, I would say KU was absolutely horrible across the board and definitely deserved their pre-season placing. Now, let's see how high Weiss' ladder can reach!

patkindle 10 years, 4 months ago

You are missing the “spin” most KU fans put On an article like this KU LISTED AS NUMBER 10 IN BIG 12 Now all of the unpaid armchair quarterbacks That hardly played high school foot ball Should chime in and tell Charlie what he needs to do to succeed

kuguardgrl13 10 years, 4 months ago

Since these were voted on by the media (and not experts), I can only hope that KU will be better than last this season. How much of the media have actually gone to a practice this summer? I saw progress at the spring game a few months ago that I haven't seen in the two years with Gill and even the end of Mangino. Whenever I've driven by lately, they've been out on the field working in this heat. I have high hopes for HCCW and this new era of Jayhawk football. Sure, we won't win the conference, but I hope we can at least have some exciting games and make beating us a challenge.

Pitthawk34 10 years, 4 months ago

The TCU game had better be sold out and crazy. We can do it! We need to welcome TCU the proper way. The stadium needs to be alive so buy your tickets or get the flunk off of this site.

blindrabbit 10 years, 4 months ago

TCU should be familiar with KU and Memorial Stadium; back in the 1950's they came here several times and whipped our arses.

Benjamin Piehler 10 years, 4 months ago

Sounds like they shouldnt be familiar. I'm far older than any college FB athlete, and I have few recollections of the 50's.