Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Navarro Junior College offensive lineman Zach Fondal becomes latest to pick KU football

Less than 10 hours after the Kansas University football program got word of a commitment from highly coveted defensive tackle Marquel Combs, the Jayhawks picked up some much-needed help on the other side of the ball when offensive lineman Zach Fondal, of Navarro Junior College, became the latest pledge to pick Kansas.

According to a report from Jon Kirby at JayhawkSlant.com, Fondal, 6-foot-5, 295 pounds, canceled upcoming trips to Arkansas and Texas Tech and committed to Kansas after meeting with KU coach Charlie Weis and recruiting coordinator Rob Ianello on Tuesday.

The two-star offensive tackle becomes the 18th player to commit in the Class of 2013 and KU’s 12th junior-college pledge in the class.

"I didn't want to wait on Arkansas and when (Tommy Tuberville left) Texas Tech it helped me even more with my decision," Fondal told Kirby. "I liked all of the coaching staff at Kansas and I can benefit from them. It is a big weight off my shoulders and I don't have to worry about it anymore.”

Fondal plans to sign with KU next Wednesday and will report to campus in January in time for spring football.

Check back with KUsports.com throughout the day for more information and updates. KU has received at least one commitment a day every day since Sunday and still has as many as nine spots to fill in its current recruiting class.

Comments

JayhawkinNE 1 year, 8 months ago

Starting to steamroll......welcome Zach!!!

hawkdds 1 year, 8 months ago

Wow, great week of recruiting against K-State and other interested BIG schools, hope we can pick up some more 3-4star true freshmen to develop before these guys leave in two years.RCJH Matt, any word on McKinney?

shelleysue 1 year, 8 months ago

Welcome Zach! Rock Chalk!

Wow. That Tubberville is a piece of work. First he knocks a coach in the head and lies about it, and now he walks out on a dinner with recruits. I guess I'm glad to see him leaving the Big 12.

AznSnSaTioN 1 year, 8 months ago

That's what I said too, now are they ranking him from his high school days or a JUCO ranking?

Sam Brockert 1 year, 8 months ago

High Scvhool days, I don't believe they rank them with stars after high school.

JHawk06 1 year, 8 months ago

There is supposedly a JUCO ranking that is not out yet. That's according to the ESPN article on Combs.

Kevin Randell 1 year, 8 months ago

Heck of a class so far! Landing a 4-star recruit was a solid step forward. Don't know about you, but the KU ticket office better get on the ball! I am ready to by my season tickets! Rock Chalk!!!!

TheRealTripleA 1 year, 8 months ago

I'm with you - watching Kevin Short's JUCO highlights and he would be nice on the other side of the field from Sendish. Both tall 6'2'' corners and playmakers.

Boouk 1 year, 8 months ago

We need to get another WR for icing on the cake.

LIFELONGHAWK38 1 year, 8 months ago

WOW, sounds like coach Wise and staff are on a roll getting some much needed and great gets. People better start climbing on board this football train quickly as it sounds like coach Wise and staff are serious about getting this train to start pulling away from the station rather quickly. Welcome to all new football recruits to the Jayhawk nation. Thank you for your decisions in helping to build our program . With coach Wise and staff running this train I feel you made a great decision and will play a very big part in being in the foundation of something very special being built. Rock Chalk forever :-)

Reuben_J_Cogburn 1 year, 8 months ago

Well I have to say...the kid does have more stars than KU had victories this season.

That's gotta be encouraging, right?

Ron Prichard 1 year, 8 months ago

One of these days you will get your optimism back, Cogburn.

Micah Mandy Haase 1 year, 8 months ago

Junior college offensive line recruit Devonte Danzey went to dinner on Friday night with "eight to 10 coaches" and recruits at the 50-Yard Line Restaurant in Lubbock.

From the story: In the midst of the conversation at the table, he asked the coaches how long they expected to be at Tech (if they were not fired), he said.

“I asked Coach (Charlie) Weis at KU and Coach (Dana) Holgorsen at West Virginia (the same question), just so I know my relationship with them,” Danzey said. “(Tuberville) was just telling me he coached at Miami and Auburn, he coached 10 years and recruited Ray Lewis and kind of blew the question off I didn’t even realize.”

He added: “The waitress brought our food out, and we thought (Tuberville) went to the bathroom, but he never came back to dinner. Then next thing I know, the next day, he made an announcement that he’s going to Cincinnati.”

Wonder how this will play into the recruiting

Mo Mosallaei 1 year, 8 months ago

If this move by Tuberville wasn't already classless enough, there are rumors that he farted right before getting up and leaving. The nerve of that guy.

Michael Pannacciulli 1 year, 8 months ago

As much as I think he is a d-bag, I have to wonder if there is something more to it. Such as the school telling him to just leave. I doubt it but makes you wonder how anyone could do that...

Dirk Medema 1 year, 8 months ago

The school was not happy at all about him leaving.

I'm sure glad we didn't fall for him begging, even if we had to go thru the whole Gill fiasco.

rockchalkblock 1 year, 8 months ago

I'm not Jewish but I feel like it! simce Hanukkah began we have been getting gifts every day! rock chalk

Andy Tweedy 1 year, 8 months ago

I don't know how good this kid is, but he's a big lad!

Kyle Sybesma 1 year, 8 months ago

Was this kid at dinner with Tubberville when he got up and left for the Cincinnati job?

flyingfinn 1 year, 8 months ago

Ahhhhhhh are we looking at any high school seniors or is this truly JUCO U.

RockinChalkinLA 1 year, 8 months ago

High school 4 and 5 star recruits will come when the Juco players help KU start winning.

texashawk10 1 year, 8 months ago

Yes KU is looking at HS kids, but next week is the JuCo signing period so the majority of recruiting efforts right now are on JuCo players. After Christmas, all attention will turn to the high school ranks to fill however many scholarships KU has left.

jhox 1 year, 8 months ago

The thinking has always been that you win by starting with high school players, but Snyder has kind of proved that's not necessarily true. Actually, I seem to recall Glen Mason and Mike Gottfried both building pretty good teams at KU with a fairly large number of Juco recruits. I'm actually fine with this approach, as it is very clear that we need a lot of help, and we need it now. If we can win 5 or 6 games this coming season, that will make it easier to land high school guys. The downside to Juco guys are that they aren't in your program for 4 years, and they're often questionable students, or they wouldn't have gone the Juco route to begin with. But given the depths our program has reached, we need to start with older, more mature recruits. Hopefully we can get more and more high school recruits each successive year.

KUsmitty4 1 year, 8 months ago

O line is definitely a concern...glad we got ya Zach!!

billhawk 1 year, 8 months ago

Time to start talking to Texas Tech recruits... Cincinnati?

Joseph Kuebel 1 year, 8 months ago

So Tuberville realized he couldn't win vs. BIG XII programs, and leaves for the Little East in hopes that he will be able to re-acquire a top-tier job. Wow talk about NOT doing it the right way.

actorman 1 year, 8 months ago

Guess all those people who were yearning for KU to get Tuberville are looking pretty foolish right about now, huh?

Sam Brockert 1 year, 8 months ago

I thought the exact same thing.

WindmillGIANT 1 year, 8 months ago

Possibly. It sounds more like Tuberville just didn't like Tech, rather than he didn't want to have to compete in the Big12. So I'd like to think that KU would have had more allure for him to stay. Who knows. I never got excited about him because I didn't believe KU had a chance of getting any of the big names that were out there. I know some people still don't like or are skeptical of Charlie Weis, but it's still a little crazy to me that we landed a such a big-named coach and I'm glad we did; I think he's got the program moving and improving again.

KGphoto 1 year, 8 months ago

I keep wondering if Tubbs got himself in some hot water down there. Tech finally gets past the crazy pirate shenanigans and Tubbs smacks the headset off a coach on television. If he's doing that out in the open, I can't imagine it's too pleasant behind the scenes.

Boouk 1 year, 8 months ago

Is Fondal now the favorite to start at LT next season?

texashawk10 1 year, 8 months ago

Doubtful. It'll be hard to displace a healthy Riley Spencer from being the front runner for the LT job.

Boouk 1 year, 8 months ago

Was Spencer our LT in Gill's last season when Hawkinson was playing RT for some odd reason?

texashawk10 1 year, 8 months ago

Yes and no. Spencer was the backup LT for Jeff Spikes and played in 11 games in 2011.

Dirk Medema 1 year, 8 months ago

I get the feeling that aside from Heaps and maybe Sims, nobody on a 1-11 Weis coached team is a favorite for anything. Sounds like every position is fair game starting as soon as the last game was over. Holsopple gets the next say so in things. It will be interesting to see what another off-season produces.

Micky Baker 1 year, 8 months ago

Rivals now has KU's recruiting class rated 48, two behind TCU and 6 behind Iowa State. K-State is rated 77. OU is rated 23. Texas Tech is rated 55. Kansas could overtake ISU and TCU and become the 4th top recruiting class with a couple more 4 stars but with 3 or 4 more 4 stars, they could pass up West Virginia (33) and Baylor as well and be right behind OU.

Lot's can happen between now and signing day. Several players are decommitting from upper rated teams like Florida, Texas, and of course South Florida lost the top QB in the nation. A TE decommitted from Texas when one of the offensive assistants took a head coaching job somewhere else. At least in Recruiting, KU is starting to close the gap.

Matt Kenton 1 year, 8 months ago

We got one- Andrew Bolton! 18 sacks his freshman year at juco.

ozhawk4 1 year, 8 months ago

I'll be curious to see the latest information around realignment with the 7 catholic schools from the Big East looking to dissolve the league and possibly team up with the A-10. What would the fallout from this be? UConn and Cincy/UCF free rides to ACC and would the B1G grab any of the leftovers from football? Would that force the SEC to grab a couple ACC teams and would Florida State be mad enough about the focus on basketball additions to leave the ACC? Anyway, I'm curious to see what new information is out there with this latest news that I'm not very many saw coming.

troutsee 1 year, 8 months ago

We also just landed a big JC guard from Iowa Western CC. Charlie and his staff are on a recruiting binge. Must be working very hard. Good for them

pbouldenv 1 year, 8 months ago

Thanks for the update! Can't wait to get these guys on the field. When is the season ticket purchase period?