Originally published December 11, 2012 at 11:23p.m., updated December 12, 2012 at 12:36a.m.

Four-star defensive tackle Marquel Combs picks KU football via Twitter

Kansas commit Marquel Combs. Rivals.com contributed photo.

Kansas commit Marquel Combs. Rivals.com contributed photo.

Another big day on the recruiting front turned into a huge night for the Kansas University football team, which learned late Tuesday that highly coveted defensive tackle Marquel Combs, of Pierce Community College in Woodland Hills, Calif., had committed to KU.

Combs, a 6-foot-5, 305-pound, four-star defensive tackle, made his choice about a week earlier than expected and announced it via Twitter after some serious build-up.

photo

Four-star defensive tackle Marquel Combs, KU football's latest junior college commitment, worked up this slogan to describe KU's 2013 recruiting class.

“I would love to say thanks to everyone who supported me,” Combs wrote. “But I know where I should be and it’s in Kansas wearing blue and red #rockchalk!!”

When reached by the Journal-World late Tuesday night, Combs divulged why he went ahead with his decision.

"I felt like there was no need to wait," he said. "And I wanted to get on board to help with recruiting."

Last week, Combs, who goes by the name "Quel" (pronounced Kwel), reached 50 scholarship offers, most from BCS-conference programs including five Big 12 schools and several SEC and Big Ten programs. After narrowing his list down to KU, Kansas State and Washington State — and then again to KU and KSU last weekend — Combs chose the Jayhawks and instantly became the gem of what’s shaping up to be a solid class loaded with junior college talent.

Unlike many prospects, who seem to labor during the recruiting process, Combs maintained a playful demeanor throughout, whether on Twitter, Facebook or in person on his visits.

"I really did enjoy the whole thing," Combs said. "I'm happy with my decision and I'm ready to get to work."

Combs visited KU the weekend of the Rice game and said his choice ultimately came down to the opportunity to make a name for himself with the Jayhawks and in the Big 12.

"I just feel like I can come in and make an immediate impact," Combs said. "I wanted to show everybody that I can help rebuild a program. It's not about going to a program that's already built. I'm not trying to be a number. I want to be a reason why that program was built."

Combs plans to sign Dec. 19 and is expected to arrive in time for the start of the spring semester in January. That will allow him to participate in spring football.

Earlier in the day, KU picked up an oral commitment from Isaiah Johnson, a 6-1, 207-pound safety from Iowa Western Community College.

“I know from talking with Coach (Charlie) Weis that we’ve got a lot of juco guys coming in,” Johnson told the Journal-World on Tuesday. “And if we do all sign, with what everyone’s capable of doing, we can really change this program back into what it should be.”

Johnson and Combs are the 16th and 17th members — and 10th and 11th juco players — in the Class of 2013 to commit to KU.

Comments

SEsco10 1 year, 8 months ago

This is a huge get! Was hoping all along KU would get him.

David Leathers 1 year, 8 months ago

Just made my night! Talk about sweet dreams. Rock Chalk!!

Keith Hummel 1 year, 8 months ago

Just Awesome News!!! Cannot wait to see what Coach Campo can do with this defense next year.

Jeremy Bolinger 1 year, 8 months ago

MONSTER AQUISITION. Charlie Had always been able to recruit. Now develop and win ball games!

parrothead8 1 year, 8 months ago

KU has some good recruits coming in, and I'm excited about their future, but let's not put the cart before the horse. K-State was a national championship contender this season. KU went 1-11, didn't win a single conference game, and lost to K-State by 40. KU is 2-30 in the Big 12 over the last four seasons, so let's keep our expectations within the limits of reality.

danno1313 1 year, 8 months ago

KU will have to get A LOT better to win even 4 games. A LOT better. I ll wait and see what happens before I go crazy.

Micky Baker 1 year, 8 months ago

Rock Chalk. Welcome aboard. This is huge. Marquel, welcome to Jayhawk nation. This is really like a family, even though you'll see us bickering back forth from time to time. The Jayhawk family is real, and I believe you'll feel it.

riverdrifter 1 year, 8 months ago

"I wanted to get on board to help with recruiting."

Well, now, you're our kind of person, Marquel. Welcome aboard.

jgkojak 1 year, 8 months ago

Imagine not letting Top 20 teams score 50 on us - that's half the battle.

Michael Sillman 1 year, 8 months ago

Great get. Does anyone know if Ty McKinney is still going to enroll at KU in January? With McKinney and Combs, we might really have a defensive line.

Dirk Medema 1 year, 8 months ago

There is a lot more coming than just McKinney and Combs. Great to get both, but lots more DT's & DE's. It will even be interesting to see who plays where, since some had moved inside out of necessity.

KGphoto 1 year, 8 months ago

Don't forget redshirt junior. John Williams inside. He's only had two injury free seasons at DT in his life. 2010 and this last season. Last year was borderline injury-free coming off the ACL. He has experience against Big 12 competition, Campo's defense and with Holsopple's regimen. If he stays injury free through 2013, I think it could be his breakout year.

Matt Tait 1 year, 8 months ago

I wouldn't count on John Williams. Hearing he may not be back next season.

Chris Bailey 1 year, 8 months ago

What about McKinney? Did you get a conformation on him enrolling in the spring? We haven't heard a thing about him since last fall when we heard about the testing carousel. So is he truly gonna enroll at KU or what? I know we heard he was a beast last year as well. I assume he would still be a great get for us.

Chris Bailey 1 year, 8 months ago

Cool thanks man! that is great news!

Boouk 1 year, 8 months ago

We'll be really deep at DT next season with Combs, McKinney, Tavai, Young, Stowers, Agostino, Williams, Tedarian Johnson, and Tyler Holmes coming off his redshirt.

stm62 1 year, 8 months ago

Let this be another sign that the dark days are coming to an end. It's SWEET to win a recruiting battle against The Purple. Welcome Marquel !!!

Joe Baker 1 year, 8 months ago

Happy days are here again

How sweet it is

trajanj 1 year, 8 months ago

K-State has 10 seniors starting on their defense. They have immediate playing time for somebody like Combs and they wanted him badly. No doubt Snyder is a great coach but to deny they are struggling on the recruiting trail for a team that just won the conference is just being blind.

texashawk10 1 year, 8 months ago

RB and LB are the two positions where KU actually has some talent and some depth. Those were the two strong points of the team this past year and KU returns every relevant player at both positions.

squintseugene1 1 year, 8 months ago

Charlie Weis is killing on the recruiting trail this week, I mean 4 really good pick ups at positions of need in 3 days. Keep it up Charlie and KU will return to bowl games in the very near future.

Stan Unruh 1 year, 8 months ago

Good hustle to get this story Matt. This is a nice early Christmas gift to KU football.

nuleafjhawk 1 year, 8 months ago

" It's not about going to a program that's already built. I'm not trying to be a number. I want to be a reason why that program was built."

Clearly - this is why Coach Self can never land a good recruit.......

For those of you who haven't had your coffee, or are K-State fans, this is sarcasm.

msezdsit 1 year, 8 months ago

He still has plenty of time to come to his senses. Hope we keep him.

Jim Stauffer 1 year, 8 months ago

I cannot remember a time when I felt we could recruit with anyone in the league. Yes, we have a ways to go in that regard, but the staff we have can do it once we have some decent results.

I do agree our location is more desirable than most in our league. As a result when we win 8 games we will draw better talent than all but two or three teams in the league.

Jonathan Allison 1 year, 8 months ago

I love Lawrence, but objectively and from a recruiting perspective, teams with more desireable locations that Kansas: UT, TCU, Baylor (the edge us out due to climate, landscape and proximity to both Dallas/Austin).

We're probably pretty even with WVU. Morgantown is beautiful with lots of activity and not a bad drive from Pittsburgh (<1.5 hr).

We're slightly ahead of OU, OSU (OKC is lame, but its enough to keep OU and OSU close). We're much better than TTU, KSU, ISU.

milehighhawk 1 year, 8 months ago

You think Waco is a more desirable location than Lawrence?

Ever been to Waco??

nuleafjhawk 1 year, 8 months ago

Waco makes Manhattan look like Disneyland.

KGphoto 1 year, 8 months ago

Easy now. We are still recruiting Waco.

Hunter Jarmon and Andrew Billings, milehighhawk and nuleaf are only kidding. Waco is a nice hometown. : )

texashawk10 1 year, 8 months ago

KG, Waco sucks, that why they need to get the hell out of town ASAP and come to a real college town.

Lucas Town 1 year, 8 months ago

Everytime I hear Waco, TX it brings back memories of David Koresh and the Branch Davidians. I am just old enough to remember that.

nuleafjhawk 1 year, 8 months ago

LOL ! Oh yeah. My bad. Waco is a fine place - to be from.......

Ludwig Supraphonic 1 year, 8 months ago

Agree with UT. Maybe TCU is more attractive to recruits because it's in a metropolitan area in Texas, even if it is cowtown. Baylor is 100 miles from the nearest city with real nightlife. It's sweltering in the summer and central Texas is temperate compared to Kansas, though winter is the rainy season. Other than for Texas recruits, I don't see any real advantage to Waco.

JHawk06 1 year, 8 months ago

Baylor? Really? Obviously you have never been to Waco.

Tony Bandle 1 year, 8 months ago

Weather report for Baylor...today it will be really [hot] ]cold] with the wind blowing out of the [southwest] [northeast] at 40 miles per hour. Visibility will be limited due to [dust][snow] storms. [This can be used 365 days of the year]

Also..no trees, grass, hills or significant bodies of water.but lots of armadillos, snakes, scorpions and flies...yep, a real Garden of Eden!!

Ron Prichard 1 year, 8 months ago

I wanted to throw in my negative comments about Waco and the Dallas Metroplex, but after reading all the comments blasting plasticJHawk for his analysis, I just didn't have the heart.

Repeat after me, plastic: "I am a good person, and gosh darn it, people like me." Hang in there!

shelleysue 1 year, 8 months ago

Why does any of this even matter.

Joseph Kuebel 1 year, 8 months ago

Because recruits usually care about the area they leave their home (you know where you live) for... I agree with everyone's take, I haven't been to Morgantown, and Austin ain't bad, but none of the other college towns in the BXII come close. To be honest KUs nightlife > Berkeley, CA...(but, being 25 mins from SF and 10 from Oakland makes up for it).

okiedave 1 year, 8 months ago

Plasticjhawk - "slightly ahead of Stillwater and Norman". My kids went to these schools and aesthetically they don't even come close to KU. Talk about undeveloped, poor and dull downtowns, flat, not well planned out, compact and congested. Lawrence is big time ahead of these towns.

texasjayhawk91 1 year, 8 months ago

Waco, Tx is trash. I barely notice it off of 35 on the way to Austin. All it is is a flat, barren wasteland with some classroom buildings and a bad Italian restaurant.

jhox 1 year, 8 months ago

Bring on the cavalry...the immediate help we need. Hopefully we will now have a pass rush. Our linebackers are pretty good. Let's land a few more quality DB's and the defense will be in business.

A couple of game changing receivers on offense would be nice as well, so Heaps has people to throw to.

Jonathan Allison 1 year, 8 months ago

not the cavalry this year. They were last year. This year is The Reinforcements.

eastcoasthawk 1 year, 8 months ago

Great news! Welcome Kwel! Looking forward to next year already!

eastcoasthawk 1 year, 8 months ago

Sorry Quel, too early in the morning for me. Welcome and Rock Chalk!

1 year, 8 months ago

Where can we get a t-shirt with Quel's slogan on it? Our team is going to be a lot of fun to watch over the next couple of years.

Mike Barnhart 1 year, 8 months ago

These juco's will really help this year but will be a huge impact as seniors in 2014.

aaemer 1 year, 8 months ago

So many recruits going to KU because they can be standouts or make a name for THEMSELVES. Doesn't necessarily mean the team is going to improve much if they are all in it for themselves alone. I tell you what we need are kids like those over in Manhattan, they may not be the top recruits or anything but they sure do know how to come together and play like a team.

milehighhawk 1 year, 8 months ago

In it for themselves? You mean, like actively recruiting others and calling it a Dream TEAM?

aaemer 1 year, 8 months ago

All I'm saying is the Hawks have had more natural talent and more athletes than KSU has for years. Compare Sims to Hubert. Compare Crist (albeit old Crist) to Klein. Compare recruiting classes of almost any year and you'll see that on paper KU should be better than KSU. The fact is, there has to be some sort of intangible to tell why KSU has knocked the socks off us in recent years and it seems that these lower talent kids have come together and played well as a team. We on the other hand have not. If Weis could bring the kids together to see that they are a part of something bigger I think we'd be more competitive. Not saying Combs isn't a good recruit or that we have had a great class, but obviously we don't have the intangibles of other schools, KSU or otherwise.

Ron Prichard 1 year, 8 months ago

Ummm.....coaching? Give Weis a little time and we should be competitive with them.

aaemer 1 year, 8 months ago

But Weis has never had success at the college level. Look at ND. He did very well for two seasons, with another coaches recruits, then he did very mediocre for the rest of his tenure. If I'm not overstepping my bounds, it's a little easier to recruit and win at ND than at KU and he couldn't win there. I've never thought Weis is the right hire but we'll see what we can get. I'm not trying to dog the team but history is doomed to repeat itself and if that's true then we'll be a mediocre squad with Weis at the helm. I'm not shooting for mediocre I'd like to compete in the league.

Ron Prichard 1 year, 8 months ago

Your original point was that these players don't seem to be the team players that KSU has, which is why KSU beats KU. My point is the coaching for KU was horrible with Gill. KU did beat KSU when we had Mangino. I think KU will again beat KSU with Weis. Anyone watching these games knows how good of a coach Snyder is. His teams are assignment sound, disciplined, few penalties, etc. With Gill, our defense didn't even know if it was running a zone or man-to-man in the secondary. We had no clue! This year, even though we didn't win many games, you could see the improvement. Players knew where to be, they knew what to expect, we didn't commit as many penalties. Again, I think that is coaching. Still, it takes time. I'm not going to say Weis is as good a coach as Snyder, because I think there are very few coaches out there that are that good. I do, however, think Weis is good enough to beat KSU and recruit better talent at KU than Snyder is getting at KSU.

Dirk Medema 1 year, 8 months ago

If you're comparing recruiting classes, don't forget to remove the transfers that are no longer around with the last 2 coaching changes. If you do, what you'll find is a big hole.

W Keith Swinehart II 1 year, 8 months ago

I imagine Coach Weis and his assistants have given this some thought. Recruiting takes months of thought and work.

aaemer 1 year, 8 months ago

No need to be sorry, I agree with you completely. There was no doubt that the team was going to struggle this year. A new coach, new offense, new identity will do that. Rebuilding is the word I believe we hear all the time. I'm not debating that it won't be a better team than this year, last year, or the year before that. There were extensive improvements this year but all I've been trying to say is that more goes into the success of a team than the number of stars next to a recruits name (reference Texas). I'm excited that Kansas is getting some high quality talent but it'll all be for not if the players can't come together (again reference Texas) and we cannot see if that will happen or not until they begin practicing again.

Kent Noble 1 year, 8 months ago

Would love to see the HAWKS, get back to the bowl games! ROCK CHALK JAYHAWK!!!!

Reuben_J_Cogburn 1 year, 8 months ago

Can we settle down for just a moment?

Have we forgotten the impact, or lack thereof, of highly-recruited JUCO players, not to mention 4-5 star recruits, on this program?

And for God's sake, never mention the word, "cavalry," again.

Phil Leister 1 year, 8 months ago

Wet blanket. Just 'cause one 5 star fizzled out (Crist) doesn't mean we shouldn't celebrate other recruits. ANY good news is great for this program. Would you rather us NOT land a highly-recruited JUCO player? Would you rather us NOT have 5-5 star recruits on our roster, since a few of them haven't panned out?

Reuben_J_Cogburn 1 year, 8 months ago

I would rather prove that we can develop players into BCS talent.

Tell me how many 4 and 5 star recruits we had in 2007. Star level doesn't necessarily translate, and it's tough to get excited about a player until you see how he's going to fair on the BCS level.

That said, yes we should be happy with the pick up. But comments on here that 'we now have a great defensive line' or 'we'll have a much-improved defense next year' are ridiculous.

Wet blanket yes. But you know there's legitimacy to what I'm saying.

Dirk Medema 1 year, 8 months ago

There are exceptions to the recruiting stars, but there are also major articles discussing "Jimmies and Joes > X's & O's".

It's a historical fact, tho there are anomolies. Anomolies are nothing to try to build a program around.

Reuben_J_Cogburn 1 year, 8 months ago

But the last time I checked, Dagger, K-State is going to the Fiesta Bowl with a team filled with anomolies.

So apparenty you can build a team based around them.

Reuben_J_Cogburn 1 year, 8 months ago

And Crist should absolutely be considered in this regard. He was part of "The Cavalry"....the group of experienced, once high-touted, players who were expected to have an immediate impact.

Same thing different year...until proven otherwise

Micky Baker 1 year, 8 months ago

Sims and Pierson were 4 star recruits. So was Operum and McDougal. I don't think they disappointed. We haven't had that many 4 stars and certainly fewer 5 stars, one of which has been on the field on game day.

There is also a distinction between these guys, or more than one. 1. They're recruited as defensive players and 2. They're faster.

Joe Baker 1 year, 8 months ago

Welcome Mr Combs- Keep 'em coming Coach

Gotta luv it

sports4life 1 year, 8 months ago

Where are all the negative comments I saw through out the season how Weis and Co. couldn't recruit? If you read this and you were one of those who have the patience of a two year old, please feel free to post your opinion again.

Reuben_J_Cogburn 1 year, 8 months ago

You like me, dagger.

Don't fight it.

Reuben_J_Cogburn 1 year, 8 months ago

Inspiring stuff, ralster. And for the record, I hate the taste of my own shoes.

My negativity in no way hinders my fandom. I am a tried and true jayhawk fan. I've just earned the right to be honest and criticize a lack of productivity. Do I like Weis' demeanor over Gill's? Absolutely. But he has to prove it on the field...as do any players and recruits.

Here's the problem I see. KU football fans, as a collective, are as ingorant as K-State basketball fans. As in, we get overly excited, and a little arrogant, when we get a good recruit, or win a game, or win a bowl. We're also...for the most part...fair-weather football fans. We'll show up when we are winning, but even then will leave at halftime.

When we make comments that are excessively optimistic about next season based on a couple of JUCO recruits, it's just fuel to the fire for our rivals.

You're right. We need to be patient and supportive. But we also need to be realistic and set realistic expectations and goals. When I see people flipping out about one JUCO transfer, talking about bowl possibilities for next year, and our helmet design, it makes me realize how blind a lot of us are.

We just went 1-11, and we're acting like we're on our way to becoming a national powerhouse. Again, you're right, patience is crucial. But I don't see patience on these boards. I see people who believe we're going to be at least 6-6 next year.

You think that blind hope is good...I say it creates a fanbase that is the opposite of patient. And one that will call for Weis' head if he fails to deliver next year. That is why I post negativity. Whereas, we should always be hopeful, we deserve a sign of that hope being fulfilled.

One win does not encourage that.

vd 1 year, 8 months ago

Gill could recruit too.

Boouk 1 year, 8 months ago

Not DT's, DE's, CB's, S's, WR's, and K's.

milehighhawk 1 year, 8 months ago

Just picked up Zach Fondal this morning -- OTackle, beat out Arkansas, South Florida and Texas Tech among others.

WindmillGIANT 1 year, 8 months ago

p>Rivals.com has this updated, but espn still showing Fondal committed to Arkansas. Hopefully, LJWorld will get a confirmation up today.

Micky Baker 1 year, 8 months ago

ESPN is almost always behind Rivals.

Tony Bandle 1 year, 8 months ago

Here are some thoughts on the future of the GridHawks.

1] At 1-11 Charlie has at least brought the runaway train to a stop and bottomed out. 2] With a year's resume of the roster on the books and a full year to recruit, he can start stockpiling talent, JUCO and High School, to upgrade and fill in the gaps. 3] I will predict right now that they will NOT be bowl eligible in 2013, however, they will make positive strides and they will make anyone who beats KU pay a high price. 4] Save your pennies because in 2014, Kansas starts a "Bowling" appearance streak. 5] I also believe that sometime in the not too distant future, the Border War will once again be fought!!

Chris1955 1 year, 8 months ago

Point #5 is interesting. Do you foresee KU and MU playing again.......in the B1G TEN?

NebraskaJayhawk 1 year, 8 months ago

Great "gets" this week! We sooooo need WRs though. Not convinced McCay is going to tear it up. I do think Turzilli is going to have a breakout season though. We need to land some big receivers with decent hands. Maybe Ford will product next season.

Matt Tait 1 year, 8 months ago

Biggest thing this team needs is a burner at WR... Just don't have that speed you need in the Big 12. Turzilli and Parmalee run good routes but don't fly and McCay's more of a physical presence.

It would help if Ford, Mark Thomas and others stepped up, but KU still needs to find speed at the position.

KGphoto 1 year, 8 months ago

A burner who can catch, of course. We just exiled a burner, Jacorey Shepard, to CB and I'm assuming it was because he wasn't catching the ball consistently enough. Explosive Marquis Jackson is at the bottom of a running back avalanche for the same reason.

Turzilli sure seemed to get behind the defense quite a bit, even though we couldn't hit him. I thought he was considered a speed guy.

Do you think it's possible, if speed really is the biggest need, that Collin Spencer will get a shot at slot receiver next year?

Matt Tait 1 year, 8 months ago

No question. I think Spencer will play right away. I'm not sure about a starting role, but I could see him being big on special teams and possibly at wide receiver in that Daymond Patterson type role (from a couple years ago)...

KGphoto 1 year, 8 months ago

Who do you think the speed guy is on our list of offers? The only two guys I see are Hunter Jarmon and Ishmael Hyman running a 4.48 and 4.49 respectively. Similar speed to Jacorey, but can they catch? Can they run a route? Can they make you miss in the open field?

And if speed is at a premium, why aren't they more highly recruited? Personally I'd rather have Richard Benjamin out of Tampa. He runs a 4.75 at 5'11" 194, but he has an offer from every major program in America.

Now that's the kind of speed I'm talking about. Game speed, which is accentuated by route-running, hands, balance and any other intangible you can think of. He's not outrunning the CBs, but he's finding ways to beat them.

That said, who on our list do you think would be the best fit?

Matt Tait 1 year, 8 months ago

I don't think finding them is as much the problem as getting them interested is.... When you go an entire season without your WRs catching a touchdown pass, that's gonna hurt.

They may have to make do with what they have this year and then hope that a good year from Heaps inspires some big timers in the Class of 2014 to jump on board.

Time will tell...

Micky Baker 1 year, 8 months ago

I am convinced, because of his size. It's not like he's slow. We've had pretty good receivers smaller and slower than him.

LAJayhawk 1 year, 8 months ago

I would like to see a WR catch a TD pass next season. That would be a nice step forward......

canuckhawk 1 year, 8 months ago

Here it is...December...and KU football. F-O-O-T-B-A-L-L. Is all over the kusports.com website. Even after an rotten season and with a highly ranked bball team (like usual). This is really something to behold. It's a festivus miracle.

hailtoku 1 year, 8 months ago

"I'm not trying to be a number. I want to be a reason why that program was built."

Rock Chalk.

shelleysue 1 year, 8 months ago

I LOVE that these guys want to come to KU to help build something special. Says so much about the type of people and players they are and we are fortunate beyond words to have them at KU. Also love that Quel wants to get busy recruiting. I see more good things happening on the recruiting end and I look forward every day to reading about it. THANK YOU guys for coming to Lawrence to help build up our football program. This is one fan who is SUPER grateful. Best of luck to all of you. ROCK CHALK!

KGphoto 1 year, 8 months ago

Totally agree. Love to see that he wants to sell the vision or greatness at KU. He didn't come here to fail, and he can keep the ball rolling by convincing Weis to offer Beau Sandland, the 4star TE and teammate from Pierce CC.

Reuben_J_Cogburn 1 year, 8 months ago

Muffle your enthusiasm, people.

The only reason we should be excited about this guy is because we beat K-State and other BCS schools in the recruiting game.

Have none of you learned a lesson about hype and preseason expectations? Not only is it embarrassing on the field come September, but posting about how great our recruits are, and how better our record will be, only sets us up for the kind of humiliation we endured this year.

Landing this kid is great, but none of you should give two craps about this until you see him play.

Ground yourselves a bit.

Dirk Medema 1 year, 8 months ago

Or maybe you should just pull your head out - of the ground or wherever it is buried.

Enthusiastic fans are part of what builds a program. Go by the Fieldhouse in a few days to see an example of it. Complete difference with the early 80's. Yes, you need a coach, but fan enthusiasm is a major component as well. CW realizes it, which is why he has invested so much in developing it.

Reuben_J_Cogburn 1 year, 8 months ago

Easy brother. I'm simply saying we as fans should limit the extreme comments.

We should technically be improved next year. But I won't allow myself to repeat the same mistake I made last offseason. I was predicting a hard 5-7 record. Now we can argue that we were much closer than it looked to achieving that, but I must live with the embarrassment of making a very optimistic prediction.

I ate my words badly this year. and I refuse to repeat that. Forgive me for having stifled expectations. But I learned my lesson.

KGphoto 1 year, 8 months ago

Missing on a prediction doesn't define you as a fan. Hell I was declaring 6-8 wins! I'm certainly not embarrassed. Who knew Crist would suck ostrich eggs? Only a few, so hold your head up and be a proud lil' Hawk. You never have to be ashamed of having unrealistically high hopes for your team.

Rock Chalk!

hailtoku 1 year, 8 months ago

I bet you're a real joy to be around.

Reuben_J_Cogburn 1 year, 8 months ago

I am actually.

Who would have thought?

Yolanda Gay 1 year, 8 months ago

I so agree. The way Weis was talking up Crist and his new recruits, I was so pumped for the season to start. BIG mistake. I too have learned my lesson. I'm going to wait and see what happens before I get excited about next year's team.

texashawk10 1 year, 8 months ago

You are what's wrong with KU football. This team needs fan support and a signing like this is a way to build fan support which the program desperately needs after the past 4 seasons. Then here you come p!ssing in everybody's Wheaties complaining about a couple of players not panning out trying to drag morale down. Fans like you are why the stands are nowhere near full on gamedays.

ltownatrain 1 year, 8 months ago

Took the words right out of my mouth....THANK YOOOUUUUUUU

Boouk 1 year, 8 months ago

Is it ok for me to expect Heaps to play as well as he did his freshman year at BYU? If he was our QB last season playing at that level we would've beat Rice, NIU, OSU, Texas, and TTU.

KGphoto 1 year, 8 months ago

Best part of this is that he narrowed 50 scholarship offers down to KU and KState, and THEN picked KU. It's a classy alternative to throwing a purple ball cap over your shoulder and donning the crimson and blue at a press conference.

Christopher Hauser 1 year, 8 months ago

2012 highlight film for Colmbs. Guy looks like he has a pretty good motor.

Jack Jones 1 year, 8 months ago

Just might turn in to a pretty good player eventually!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Curtis Stutz 1 year, 8 months ago

Little disappointed Jenkins-Moore didn't get a mention in the article as it sounded like he pushed hard for KU from Quel's corner.

Also want to point out to those that whine about all the comments in basketball stories about recruiting during football season that this football story in what is now basketball season has around 100 comments.

jaycard 1 year, 8 months ago

Now, for 2013, bring back the Jayhawk on the helmets!

KGphoto 1 year, 8 months ago

Just a tally of our recruiting victories over the grapes thus far. Each of whom had an offer on the table from Bill "Family" Snyder.

QB - Jordan Darling ***

OT - Joey Bloomfield ***

QB - Montell Cozart ***

DT - Quel Combs ****

LB - Marcus Jenkins-Moore ***

CB - Cash Sendish ***

TE Ben Johnson *** was in contact with KState but was not offered.

Anybody know the number of guys KState has landed over us? Guys we have both offered but chose to be purple. I don't have time for the legwork today.

KGphoto 1 year, 8 months ago

That's what I was hoping to hear. Thanks.

Terry N Tom Denner 1 year, 8 months ago

AWESOME !!! Need some help fellow Hawk fans, go over to Wichita Eagle.com and sign up to post on their sport section. I'm getting ganged up on by several Beaker Haters, KST A-HOLES !!

Joseph Kuebel 1 year, 8 months ago

That's acceptable (often times the lil rhymes people post on here are pretty embarrassing).

texashawk10 1 year, 8 months ago

My new avatar is a design done by Marquel Combs that he designed and has been sending out a group of players he is trying to get to join him at KU.

KUsmitty4 1 year, 8 months ago

Keep them coming baby!! Rock Chalk!

Tony Bandle 1 year, 8 months ago

Sometimes the story of a season goes beyond wins and losses:

2011 - won 2, lost in last part of game 2, competitive 1, blow-out losses 7.

2012 - won 1, lost in last part of game 4, competitive 2, blow-out losses 4.

Clearly, there is a positive trend....but there's still a long way to go.

Tony Bandle 1 year, 8 months ago

PS Wasn't sure how to classify the KSU game..maybe 1/2 competitive, 1/2 blow out!!

troutsee 1 year, 8 months ago

Hats off to Coach Weis and the entire staff for all the hard work that they have done so far. It looks like it is starting to pay off on paper. Hopefully, it will translate to the field of play.

Boouk 1 year, 8 months ago

Way to early prediction for next season: 5-7 with wins over our non-con opponents, TTU, and WVU. I think Heaps will play as good or slightly better than he did his freshman year at BYU, but I don't think he'll have enough help at WR to get us to a bowl game. I think the 6'2 210 pound JUCO WR Mark Thomas, who runs a 4.4 40, will be our best WR next season, and McCay will be a bit of a disappointment.

swigrimm 1 year, 8 months ago

In one week, Rivals.com rated KU from dead last in Big 12 football recruiting to #6 (avg player ranking of 2.94 stars) just behind TCU (3.0 avg stars) and ahead of Texas Tech, Baylor, Iowa State and K-State (which is now dead last). Not bad for a week's work. Keep it up, CW&Co!

mikehawk 1 year, 8 months ago

Normally, you hate to see so many JUCO players, but we have no choice. Bill Snyder did much the same thing in bringing KSU out of the grave. Once you get more street cred with your program, you have a better chance of landing promising 4 year players. Love this guy's attitude of wanting to build something, not just sustain and maintain. I am sure it is part of the The Old Ball Coach's sell. We need more of this type swagger coming in. We need to give Weis all of the support we can. He ain't running away and he is "all in." There are signs it is slowly beginning to take hold.

texashawk10 1 year, 8 months ago

When you're not a power school and you're in a region that doesn't produce much talent, JuCo players are how you succeed in the long term. Bill Snyder figured it out early and it has paid huge dividends for him. Ron Prince didn't focus as heavily on JuCo players and sunk KSU. Mark Mangino relied heavily on JuCo players early on and was able to make KU competitive pretty quickly doing that. Mangino tailed off on JuCo recruiting towards the end and Gill completely neglected the JuCo ranks in his 2 years. Charlie Weis clearly understands that JuCo players are how you build competitive teams at places like KU and December has become a relevant recruiting month for KU football again.

trajanj 1 year, 8 months ago

Ron Prince signed tons of jucos.

pbouldenv 1 year, 8 months ago

Welcome aboard Combs! Dreamteam! This dudes film is impressive. RCJH!

beebe1 1 year, 8 months ago

Great!

Now teach 'tackling', 'coverage', and develop a valid "Defensive Scheme' that doesn't allow open receptions.

Adam McEwen 1 year, 8 months ago

Dream Team? Recruiting? Championship? This guy is completely out of his mind, and he's exactly the kind of guy we need. Welcome to the family Marquel! Rock Chalk!