Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Dave Campo: JaCorey Shepherd fits CB mold

Kansas University defensive coordinator Dave Campo on Wednesday offered insight into sophomore JaCorey Shepherd’s recent work with the defense.

Shepherd, who tied for the team lead with three touchdown receptions as a true freshman, began the preseason competing for a second-string spot at S receiver. However, during the past couple of practices, the Mesquite, Texas, native has traded in his blue offensive jersey for a white one reserved for the defense.

“It’s not a permanent thing,” Campo said of Shepherd’s switch. “We’re trying to develop some depth at a lot of different positions. When you’ve got young guys as back-ups, you never know how things are gonna work out. We just wanted to get a good look at him.”

Three of the four cornerbacks listed behind starters Greg Brown and Tyler Patmon on the depth chart are newcomers, and several weeks back Campo talked in generalities about a couple of offensive players he thought might add something to the defense.

“He was definitely one of those guys,” Campo said of Shepherd. “He’s a very quick athlete. One thing with a corner is quick-twitch, the ability to plant and drive. He doesn’t know a lot right now about playing over there, but athletically he fits the mold of a guy that has a chance.”

An updated depth chart is expected to be released Tuesday, and whether Shepherd’s name appears at receiver or cornerback, Campo said his role was still a work in progress.

“He’s still playing some offense,” Campo said. “He’s both right now. The kid’s a good athlete.”

TV for KU

The Big 12 Conference on Wednesday announced broadcast assignments for the first three weeks of the season, and KU landed TV ties during each. The 6 p.m. season opener on Sept. 1 against South Dakota State will be shown on the Jayhawk IMG TV Network. KU’s 2:30 p.m. match-up with Rice on Sept. 8 will be shown nationally on Fox Sports Net, and the Big 12 opener at 11 a.m. on Sept. 15 against TCU will mark KU’s first appearance on FX.

Comments

Todd Simpson 2 years ago

sorry what channel is Jayhawk IMG TV Network in Texas?

Todd Simpson 2 years ago

nevermind just found out they are only in Kansas and KCMO....I wish I could get all of the games.....I'll be headed to the Rice game for sure though

741hawk 2 years ago

Assist, please. Anyone have a good idea on how I might be able to watch the season opener from Central Coloraod?

741hawk 2 years ago

Yes. I can spell. C-O-L-O-R-A-D-O

Todd Simpson 2 years ago

you might have to go to justin.tv to watch it....I know when I don't go up from Texas to go to the games I'll be broadcasting them on there and I do the A&M games for the military guys over seas that can't watch but online.

Kman_blue 2 years ago

4th time trying to post here seemed to work, so I'll give this one another shot!

The Jayhawk IMG TV Network is the network that airs 8 men's basketball games a year, all of the coaches shows (Bill Self Show, Charlie Weis Show, Bonnie Henrickson Show), and runs the radio broadcasts of all the basketball and football games (in addition to a lot of other sports like baseball, women's bball, volleyball etc.).

Since they renegotiate with individual TV and radio stations every year to air all of this content, the stations change slightly from year to year, but that's mostly on the radio side.

The TV broadcast coverage for the football game covers the entire state of Kansas, the KC, MO market (15 counties in MO included), SW Nebraska, and part of NE Oklahoma and SW Missouri where the Kansas TV stations normal broadcasts cover. So if you don't live in any of those areas you'll have to find a live stream online via justin. tv or thefirstrow. eu or listen online via one of the radio stations affiliates online live stream, like 105.9 Lawrence, or 98.7 Wichita for example.

Steve Reigle 2 years ago

Excellent info. Thank you.

OKHawkFan 2 years ago

I do know that sometimes JustinTV will shut down the live stream due to copyright infringement. It happened last year on JustinTV at half time during the KU Mizzou game. Hopefully they will have it on all access Jayhawk AT&T. I would rather pay for it so some of my money goes to KU. But if not and JustinTV shuts it down I know of a mexican website that will have it (Plus no homeland security trying to shut down during the game). Thank you Mexico!!

Randy Bombardier 2 years ago

You can try the Jayhawk All-access. It did not work well for me when I tried it in 2010. Depends much on internet speed. Otherwise I search the internet until I find an online radio station that hasn't been blacked out.

waywardJay 2 years ago

This explains alot of people's questions as to Why Jacorey Shepard hasn't been showing up on the field as a Wr.... Looks like he's becoming a DB

ccarp 2 years ago

Does KUathletics.com broadcast live video from games?

Kman_blue 2 years ago

Man, this is really strange....I've posted 3 times here and none have shown up, but they show up in the comments counter at the top...so, forgive me if 3 more or less identical posts suddenly show up from me.

ccarp, I don't think KU will have any live video of the games via their website because all of the games have been picked up by the media rights holders (Fox, IMG, and ESPN) leaving none to be broadcast by KU.

W Keith Swinehart II 2 years ago

Kman, your posts came through here. Very good, clear info on the TV broadcasts that I have never understood. Thanks.

Kman_blue 2 years ago

IMG has a deal with ESPN to carry the IMG broadcast basketball games to also be carried on ESPN Full Court, but have no such deal for the football game.

KUathletics did not have the football game listed in their lineup for all-access and that's why I thought it wouldn't be carried, but they made an announcement just today that it will be available via KUathletics.com all-access package, so that's another option for out of state fans not able to watch the game any other way.

Link to the KU announcement about the game being carried on all-access: http://www.kuathletics.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/082312aac.html

wats211 2 years ago

I love this Dave Campo....how lucky are we to have a man of his caliber as defensive coordinator.....wow..get your tickets now folks...this defense is going to be 11 hats to a football for 4 qtrs,,,its going to be fun...i can't wait....not only get tickets..get season tickets..and DONATE to the Williams Fund....GET WITH THE PROGRAM PEOPLE!!!!!!!!