Originally published August 19, 2012 at 10:44p.m., updated August 19, 2012 at 11:13p.m.

Freshman Milton Doyle to leave KU men’s basketball team

Milton Doyle speaks to the media on June 19, 2012, at Allen Fieldhouse. Doyle's mother, Lisa Green, confirmed to the Journal-World on Sunday, August 19, 2012, that Doyle will not play for the Jayhawks and will look to attend another school.

Milton Doyle will not be attending Kansas University on basketball scholarship after all, Doyle’s mom, Lisa Green, told the Journal-World on Sunday night.

Doyle, who averaged 19 points, seven rebounds, five assists and five steals a game his senior year at Chicago’s Marshall High School, attended summer school classes at KU after signing a financial-aid agreement. He made the trip to Europe as a member of the Jayhawk team.

“It’s nothing bad about the school or the coaches or anything. Sometimes things happen for a reason,” Green said Sunday from her home in Chicago. She said the decision was reached Sunday, the day before the start of KU’s first semester.

She had no further comment on the matter.

KU coach Bill Self said he had no comment as of Sunday night, indicating he’d probably have something to report today.

Doyle averaged 2.3 points a game with five turnovers against no assists in four games on KU's recent European tour.

Doyle originally had committed to play for Florida International, but reopened his recruiting last spring when FIU coach Isiah Thomas was fired. Doyle was cleared academically through the NCAA Clearinghouse in late July, making possible his attending KU on scholarship.

Doyle’s mom said she did not know what school her son would attend. She also told chicagohoops.com Sunday that her son would not be attending KU and would be looking for a school.

Comments

Sam Constance 1 year, 8 months ago

I tend to fall somewhere in the middle on this whole mess.

First things first--best of luck to Milton in his future endeavors. I was looking forward to having another "Milt" on the team this year, as well as the last name Doyle (Doyle RULES), but in the grand scheme of things, those are probably less important than a young man getting to set himself up for his own future, etc...

It's completely unnecessary to bash the kid for leaving, as the mature thing to do would be to recognize that, if he's not feeling it, it could go very poorly for both KU and him moving forward. No harm whatsoever in sidestepping that potential area of concern.

All that being said, I think it's fair to note that this kind of outcome--changing course so abruptly--is a somewhat immature decision. As some have noted, it's not like he can go play somewhere else this year, so he's hurting himself by not being in ANY college-level competition for the 2012-13 school year. It seems a little resolve and willingness to tough out what may very well have been a tough, very-little-PT type of year might have served him well. Best case scenario--he works himself into some solid minutes by EOY or potentially for next season's rotation... at KANSAS. Worst case scenario--he works hard, doesn't ever crack the rotation, but has that year of top-level instruction to take with him to the same level of school he'll be able to go to next year. He's sitting out a year no matter what--why not take advantage of the scholarship to one of the premier college basketball programs in the country?

There's also the side that makes him more appealing to whichever coach/program he ends up courting next year. Staying in the program for a year shows maturity, ability to commit, and follow-through. Leaving shows that he's now committed and backed out on two different school choices. Obviously there were extenuating circumstances at FIU, but this is now twice in a 6-month span. That kind of "coincidence" will be hard to shake in the minds of coaches.

But hey--no harm done. KU will obviously be fine without Milton, even if he turns into a great player, and Milton clearly sees himself as being better off without KU, which is okay. He may very well be absolutely correct.

All that being said, who knows the full reason behind his departure. If this isn't just about basketball, then that renders most of what I've written here moot. Regardless, I wish the kid well and hope he excels going forward.

danno1313 1 year, 8 months ago

We have 18-19 yr olds fighting and dying in the Middle East and this kid is, HOME SICK? C mon man!

andersonalex 1 year, 8 months ago

I wish people would stop acting like they are smart enough to guess the details of the situation. We don't know. Maybe the kid was at fault, maybe he wasn't. It's not anyone's place to sit around demonizing a kid based on guess work.

How is it that you people look at this question and come out with answer 1?

Which is more important - 1: my right to publicly state whatever bad and quite likely untrue things I want about someone, or 2: that individual's right to not be humiliated publicly and unjustly?

Michael Luby 1 year, 8 months ago

Yeah, Milton gone = pretty much no skin off my back. Hope the guy gets into a fair to decent Div 1 school and gets his PT.
Other than that, I just want the season to start. Now! Im having major college lack of college ball tremors.

DanR 1 year, 8 months ago

I do hope this scholarship ends up going to Justin. The guy worked hard last year -- big yeoman part of a championship game team -- and he deserves it.

And, good luck to Milton.

Vernon Riggs 1 year, 8 months ago

Nothing against Milton Newton but I said in June that the best use for this scholarship was to give to Justin this year and bank the scholarship to be used in 2013.

This will allow us one more scholarship in 2013 without running anyone off in April of 2013.

On board now: 1. Frankamp - Combo 2. Greene - SF

Needs: 3. Point - Barber or Jackson 4. Big - Lawrence, Lee or Shepherd 5. Best on the Board - XRM (Combo), Parker (SF), Troy Williams (SF and handcuff to Cat), Randle (PF), Semi (SF), Selden (Combo), Wiggins (PF if he reclasses to 2013)

Milton leaving gives us the 5th pick. This gives us the ability to get our four needs (point, combo, big, sf) and then go big game hunting and sign the 'best on board'.

JHAWK34TRUTH 1 year, 8 months ago

Some of these so called fans that are hating on the kid are probably trolls.

Show some class Kansas fans.

Don't need to hate on a kid that can make his own decision. You have no idea how hard it was for for him to go through this.

JHAWK34TRUTH 1 year, 8 months ago

As a TRUE Jhawk fan, I wish you the best in your career and future.

Thanks for taking a chance with us and keep your head up.

OakvilleJaybateNightmare 1 year, 8 months ago

Hello everyone, it looks like we have another scholarship to give out next year. The only problem is, no kid would want to come here after reading half these posts. An 18 year old decides he chose the wrong school and suddenly he is lazy and lacks talent.

Janet Olin 1 year, 8 months ago

Best of luck to you Milton. I hope you find a playing spot that fits your needs and I wish you great success. Real Jayhawk fans don't trash young players for changing their minds. Show some support, encouragement please.

UncleMarty 1 year, 8 months ago

Wow, I'm extremely disappointed in some of you KU fans. None of you guys know the exact reason as to why this kid choose to leave KU. If he feels that its in his best interest to go to a school that fits him then so be it. KU is not for everybody just like KSU is not for everyone. Nobody on this site is in the locker room with these kid. Nobody knows the FACTS about being a player at KU so to see all these terrible comments sucks!! The crazy thing about it is if Bill Self choose to leave kansas he would get bashed also. How about we just say "Thank you for considering a school like KU and we wish you the best Milton". Come on people why be so harsh. To be honest with all you KU fans, I know the truth why he left the school. I know the truth about the coaches at KU. You gotta be a tough minded kid and be willing to be treated like a dog in-order to be successful at KU. But like I said before, KU is not for everyone!

RJ King 1 year, 8 months ago

How can I get the infra red & blue mindreading app that enables such insight into Milton's thought process? I also want the double secret sonic listening app that allows access to private conversations between Milton, his Mom, and Coach Self.

With the power of those apps, I'll be able to read the minds of KUGrad1983andTrueBlueFan, 79ictjhawk, JHawk06, lonestar_jayhawk, memhawk, JHAWKSWAG, and mushhawk and see the absolute justification in bashing an 18 year old kid.

Ray March 1 year, 8 months ago

What a dummy... He seems real wishy-washy.. "I wanna go here mommy..." "...no I wanna go here instead..." "No I changed my mind again. I wanna go here instead..." What an idiot. You just lost a 1 in a million chance to play at KU! Have fun at Southwest Alabama State Tech's school of typewriter repair!

Robert Brock 1 year, 8 months ago

The Hawks are stockpiling wings, combo-guards, and PGs. Milty knew he couldn't compete for PT so he did the wise thing - cut and run.

prusso25 1 year, 8 months ago

There is absolutely no surprise here. Got him in case Adams couldn't make the team, and did not want to red shirt or ride the pine for 4 years. I can completely understand this decision. I don't want to be overly optimistic, but do you guys think this might mean that Anrio is even better than advertised...?

clevelandjayhawker 1 year, 8 months ago

The file photo looks like an album cover

Tony Bandle 1 year, 8 months ago

Because school hadn't started yet, is he exempt from the one year waiting period and thus can enroll immediately somewhere else?

I agree with konkeyDong....all kidding aside, show some the class that is expected of true Jayhawks in dealing with others. [except for Missouri, Calipari and murderous terrorists ......then go in with all guns ablazin'!!!]

HawkKlaw 1 year, 8 months ago

So once a guy realizes that KU isn't the best fit and decides to leave, all us KU fans can think to do is laugh and make jokes about how terrible of a player he is? Wow guys, what a family we have here! That stuff's weak. Be happy that he realized this quickly that it wasn't a good fit so now Bill Self & Co. can go out and find somebody that will be a better fit. I mean, honestly, you clicked the link to read this article and then make fun of an 18 year old in the comments section? That's pitiful. He didn't do anything wrong and I wish the best for him.

Nicholas Cederlind 1 year, 8 months ago

NO ONE has indicated whether this was Milton's choice or not. Will wait to hear what coach says.

iamakufan 1 year, 8 months ago

If a kid aspires to the NBA in the future, he wants to go to college where in his perception he will be showcased as well as taught. Whether Doyle actually has the skills or not to make the NBA someday is not my point. My point is that he clearly saw he's not likely to be front and center in a career at Kansas. His choices are to bite that bullet and do his best at Kansas or to find a school where he will have a chance to shine. Whether he has the skills, the work ethic, etc., are not relevant to my point. It's all in the kid's perception of himself along with his dreams for the future. He has to follow his dreams whether those dreams are realistic or not. For that, and the fact he didn't waste a year of Kansas coaching time and a Kansas scholarship, I have to applaud the young man. Good luck, Milton Doyle.

Vernon Riggs 1 year, 8 months ago

Good-bye Milton. Hello XRM!

2013 Recruiting Class will be two combos (Frankamp & XRM), a point (Jackson or Barber), a SF (Greene) and a Big (Lawrence, Lee or Shepherd).

I hope Milton finds a nice spot in Chicago to land, close to Mom.

Charles Shirley 1 year, 8 months ago

He took the trip to Europe and he saw what amount of PT he would get this year, little. Self might have suggest the red shirt, but it didn't matter. He spent some time with the Hawks and realized that it is whole different level of competition that FIU can't match. He was an FIU level player all along and he decided that he didn't want to sit and put in the work to get above that level. It is probably best for Milton and KU that they part way early on. Milton can find a program which better matches his talent and work level and KU will have some space to fill. I say Best of Luck to Milton!

William Blake 1 year, 8 months ago

Good luck with your future, Milton!

JHawk06 1 year, 8 months ago

HCBS - Hey Milton you've seen what we have and we would like you to develop.. want to redshirt?

Milton - I want my mommy

jayhawkinATL 1 year, 8 months ago

He'll turn up at Chicago-Circle.

Ralster Jayhawk 1 year, 8 months ago

Best wishes to Milton Doyle. Hopefully he can show his talents for whatever school he ends up at.

jaybate 1 year, 8 months ago

Doyle Recoils from Bench, Bound for Brown in Texas or Off to Thomas Again?

741hawk 1 year, 8 months ago

Waiting for the final comment on this board from his bro' in Chicago who said he was going to surprise everyone . . . 'cause he did!

Konkis Dongington III 1 year, 8 months ago

Milt, we hardly new ye...

I don't know why anyone would come out to bash this kid. KU fans always pride ourselves on being classy, but hating on a kid for not being able to cut it here is both ludicrous and trashy. BennyBob was so amped to watch HEM lambaste Doyle that he probably blew his load. Unfortunately for him, HEM displayed the kind of tact I'd have expected from all of us.

In the good news department, this does open up the possibility that we can get the Barber/Williams package and still have the extra scholly to land a big. Still, why hate on this kid? It's unfortunate, but it was probably never the right choice for him. He won't be here this season. Can't just say, too bad for him and move on? I mean, why pull the jilted lover act if you really thought taking him was beneath us to begin with?

ku_foaf 1 year, 8 months ago

Obviously not meant to be. Nothing against him. Good luck, goodbye.

Tony Bandle 1 year, 8 months ago

PS...I guess this saves Keith Langford a whole bunch of money!!

Tony Bandle 1 year, 8 months ago

HIGH ROAD: May Milton only have the best of luck in his future endeavors.

LOW ROAD: I won my bet...I had the under at one semester.

QUESTION FOR THE PEANUT GALLERY: Has there ever been a transfer from KU with whom we regretted their departure?

JHAWKSWAG 1 year, 8 months ago

Hate to say it but I never wanted him on our squad in the first place. Even though I think its unfortunate that the kid never really got a chance to experience the University that we all know and love, I think in the long run it will be good for him and good for the program. Now we can target another big, or maybe even seriously consider the package deal with Barber & Williams (even though I don't want another SF either). The 13' class is relatively deep as far as big men go, and I hope we can sign an elite player that will have immediate impact. Milt I heard somewhere down the grapevine that the Lobos have no problem picking up our sloppy seconds...Good riddance!

truefan 1 year, 8 months ago

There is no reason to bag on this kid. He represented KU well for a short time and decided to take his game to another school. I don't see the problem. I don't know how much PT he would have gotten but he will probably turn out to be a solid guard on whatever team he ends up playing for. I wish him the best.

phogphan2000 1 year, 8 months ago

It's too bad things didn't work out with Doyle. I hope he enjoyed his time on campus and playing with the KU team. Best of luck to him, hopefully he can find a decent school that still has a schollie left. On the bright side as stated above hopefully this means good things about Tharpe and Rio. I was excited to see how Doyle would compete at the college level, now I'm excited to see who Self recruits for next year with that scholarship. Life is good.

BPSkelly 1 year, 8 months ago

If this kid turns into something greater than Micah Downs, so be it. I wouldnt bet the house on it though. Through early practices and games when Self actually gives them reasonably equal chances this kid was buried. HEM's right in that this guy will play (or should play) for a mid-major school. He just wasnt equipped to play in Lawrence. Good luck to him and his future endeavors. My guess is, we wont see him on a news ticker anytime soon though.

Jack Wilson 1 year, 8 months ago

Someone above said something is fishy here .. nothing fishy. The only surprise is how early.

It's competition. An unranked guy like Doyle is initially no competition for top guys. To quote Bugs Bunny, "it is true because it is fact." There are very, very few exceptions there. Could a guy like Doyle develop? Sure. But development takes time. Oh, there might be another story as to why he left. But the daunting competition, and continued influx of top talent, is quite persuasive.

The battle between Doyle and Adams was apparently a TKO early, because Doyle quit the fight. No mas. Jesse, in his summaries, seemed to give Adams the edge. Great first-hand insight. It's really too bad though because Doyle might have been ahead of Adams by the end of the season. Who knows?

One thing that has seemed obvious to me from day one with this guy was that he was purely insurance. Merv Lindsay type insurance. Break glass in case of emergency. Adams qualified, so he slipped further down the totem pole. And Tharpe looked the point guard part. Further slippage.

If Doyle wants to play .. as most of these guys do .. it's probably a wise decision. Doyle is best suited for Bradley, or Northern Colorado, or Illinois St. Nothing has changed there. He was a Self-made insurance policy who became enamoured with the bright lights of a blue-blood program. "I was really sold before I ever came here" -- Who wouldn't be when your prior destination was FIU? What he wasn't considering properly was the competition.

And does anyone doubt for a minute that Self sold him on coming? That Self created the illusion that he had a chance for PT? Or that he was really part of a competition? That Self .. perhaps .. misled this young man? Ok, misled may be too strong a word. I'll go back to "created an illusion." Whatever it was, it seemed pretty clear at the time. Self was doing exactly what we want him to do .. protect our program. Create depth. Ensure that we weren't left hung out to dry if Adams didn't qualify and/or Tharpe didn't progress, or if he regressed. We want Self on that wall. We need Self on that wall. But sometimes it ain't pretty.

And it is amazing how scholarships become available, isn't it? Though with this one, it seems pretty obvious that it was solely a player's decision. And a smart one -- at least Adams thinks so.

Here's hoping that Mr. Doyle finds the right program. And forgive me for saying this, but the #25 jersey just didn't look right on him, anyway.

bennybob 1 year, 8 months ago

Can't wait to read HEM's reaction to this!

LOL!

somehow "i told you so" just doesn't cut it!

Martin Rosenblum 1 year, 8 months ago

FIU.......KU......?

Round and round she goes, where she stops, nobody knows!

How about the UMFT (University of Misfit Toys)?

april28 1 year, 8 months ago

Hope the kid finds his spot. Since he didn't sign an LOI, is he free to play right away or will the NCAA punish him?

Wish you the best Mr. Doyle.

CrimsonAndBlueForLife 1 year, 8 months ago

Something is fishy here. Either this kid's grades weren't good enough after all, or something bad happened at home, or he's just immature and doesn't know what he wants to do.

Ben Kane 1 year, 8 months ago

on his european vacations Doyle...

1. was forced to wear a beret
  2. ran over an englishman on a bicycle
  3. lost the video camera with footage of his girl undressing
  4. was constantly reminded of his pig in a poke victory.

Bangkok_Jayhawk 1 year, 8 months ago

No Milton, no Merv... We will be lacking in cool names.

duanep5ku 1 year, 8 months ago

I guess in a few hours when your initial critics get up and see this article,They are going to have a field day with this news. Milton even your uncle claimed to be on this site praising your skills and now you bail,why?

Hem- I guess you can have fun with this article since you were one of his critics.

Milton good luck and tell your uncle to revisit the site and explain your greatness again to the Jayhawk fans.

manginorh00lz 1 year, 8 months ago

Aaaaand this is why KU needs higher admission standards.

jaybate 1 year, 8 months ago

Hmmm, let's see here...

Has Isiah Thomas gotten another job?

jumpinjayhawk 1 year, 8 months ago

His playing time would be very limited for several years and possibly you would of seen his scholarship not picked up next year anyhow so why not get out before the semester starts, he can possibly go to a lower tier school such as Missouri.

jayhawker97 1 year, 8 months ago

thanks for your interest in KU, too bad it's not working out. good luck to you, Mr. Doyle.

akgjenkintown 1 year, 8 months ago

Many young players who have been the "best" at their respective schools don't want to sit. This team is loaded with young players with talent and some are going to sit and have to wait their turns. Milton can count and Self has a history of playing 8 to 9 late into the season. There are 11 guards on the roster, prior to this announcement. Elijah will lead this team in minutes played if healthy. Naadir looked better than last year at times during his play in Europe and will get a lot more minutes. Rio Adams looks to be an aggressive defender. Evan Manning also got some minutes at the point in Europe ahead of Rio and Milton. Ben McLemore will likely start as the shooting guard and Andrew White will get minutes since he is the best outside threat. Travis will also play a ton. It is possible that discussions of red shirting have come up and Milton and his family made the decision to transfer now.

ahpersecoachingexperience 1 year, 8 months ago

Dude just shattered Brock Berglunds least days on campus record!

NotKansasUniversity 1 year, 8 months ago

Man I wanna hear this whole story. Did we need the scholarship? Or are we now under the limit? We hardly knew ya, Milt.

Martin Rosenblum 1 year, 8 months ago

"...Sometimes things happen for a reason,” Green said Sunday from her home in Chicago"

The "things" that happened obviously were not within Doyle's control. If her comment about him playing for another school are considered, he wants to play but for reasons, yet to be revealed, he isn't able to play at KU.

Larry Smith 1 year, 8 months ago

Keep your head up and try to make the most of it Milton. The I told you so's will be out soon, I wish some fans were better than that.

Doug Cramer 1 year, 8 months ago

Apherse - you're back. Was starting to wonder if something happened to you dude.

Doug Cramer 1 year, 8 months ago

Wow - something had to of happened in Europe. Wonder if we'll ever here the full story.

jayhawkinmullen 1 year, 8 months ago

Milton Doyle was just back up in case Anrio didn't qualify. Anrio qualified Milton is gone.

ahpersecoachingexperience 1 year, 8 months ago

Someone mail him a bill the European vacation he just took.

Rick Aldrich 1 year, 8 months ago

Step Up your game or hit the Rock Chalk Exit.

jayhawkinnc 1 year, 8 months ago

Dang! He didn't even give KU a chance. I'm guessing he realized that playing time at Kansas is something he has to EARN and be willing to be COACHED. Plus, maybe he got scared hearing all of the horror stories about Self's Boot Camp from the veteran players. Oh well, more playing time for the others who WANT to be there.

KirkHinrich_Range10 1 year, 8 months ago

let me tell you one reason why. Anrio Adams. get used to hearing that name, dude looks like d-wade.