Originally published April 16, 2012 at 02:54p.m., updated April 17, 2012 at 12:02a.m.

KU guard Merv Lindsay to transfer

Kansas forward Merv Lindsay puts a shot over Howard forward Theodore Boyomo during the second half on Thursday, Dec. 29, 2011 at Allen Fieldhouse.

Merv Lindsay said he’ll forever have fond memories of his one year at Kansas University.

“I’ll never forget going to the Final Four and winning the conference championship,” Lindsay said Monday in announcing his plans to transfer to a yet-to-be-determined school at semester’s end.

“I was fortunate to learn under a great coach in coach (Bill) Self and his staff,” the 6-foot-7, 195-pounder from Moreno Valley, Calif., added in a phone conversation with the Journal-World. “Being a part of the great tradition here and seeing what Kansas basketball is all about is something I will always be thankful for. I love my coaches. I love all the Kansas fans.

“I don’t want anybody to forget about the team or me this year. It isn’t about me. It’s about Kansas. That’s what I’m all about.”

Lindsay met with Self on Thursday to discuss his future. During that 20-minute session, Lindsay requested his release to transfer to a school where he’d be able to play more. He averaged just 2.2 minutes a game in 12 games this past season, scoring 11 points.

“That was my goal when I first came here, and it’s my goal now, to be an impact player,” said Lindsay, who said he had not yet come up with a list of possible schools. “I’ll see if I can accomplish that goal.”

He said he had not spoken with Danny Manning or Barry Hinson — former KU staff members now head coaches at Tulsa and Southern Illinois respectively.

Of Lindsay, KU coach Self said: “Merv and I met last week about his situation and the opportunities he has here. He has decided it is in his best interest to look elsewhere to have an opportunity for more playing time.

“Merv is not a good young man, he is a terrific young man,” Self added. “He has done well in school and he has impacted our program on the practice court and in the locker room in a very positive way. We’re going to do everything we can to support and assist him. He’s leaving here with a great taste in his mouth as we are with him. At this time he is at square one (in considering destinations) and we’re just looking into it, but he has been granted his release.”

Lindsay said he leaves with the idea of returning some day.

“I hope I can come back and enjoy a game and go out to eat in Lawrence, something like that,” he said.

Carter Patterson 3 years, 7 months ago

Merv, once a Jayhawk, always a Jayhawk. Good luck in your future endeavors.

RISEABOVEHATE56 3 years, 7 months ago

They said that Merv Lindsay was pissed off because he didn't get any real playing time and said that the Kansas Jayhawks basketball team burned him out totally and went to Bill Self himself and ask to opt out of his scholarship.

You would never really think somebody would get so pissed off over not getting any playing time.

Lets see who the Kansas Jayhawks can bring in with a scholarship for the 2012-2013 season. Hope its a guy who will get alot of playing time because the Kansas Jayhawks will need one extra guy to fill in for Taylor and Robinson

jhawk613 3 years, 7 months ago

uhhhh...Merv is transferring because he already wasn't getting PT and were were at -1 available scholarships.

Leaving: Teahan, Taylor, Robinson. Wesley (back to paying his way)

Coming: Ellis, White, Peters, Lucas, Adams

That's 4 leaving and 5 coming.

Merv transferring allows Self to actually offer all 5 scholarships. Just business, wish the best for the kid.

Alex Berger 3 years, 7 months ago

Actually Juenneman had a scholarship last semester so Merv leaving opens up a scholarship for any players who might commit (around Thursday?) or transfer in.

Andy Hess 3 years, 7 months ago

That's not completely accurate. Wesley is not losing his scholarship unless we sign someone else. there have been zero reports of him returning to walk on status, so Lindsay's scholarship puts us at the limit by the NCAA, an even 13 scholarship players.

jhawk613 3 years, 7 months ago

my point is Merv transferring doesn't open up another spot for Self to recruit, it opens a spot for one of the kids he already recruited.

Eric Dawson 3 years, 7 months ago

Yes and no.

KU would be short if Self & Co prove successful in landing Tony Parker and/or the PG he has said he would still like to have.

Merv's scholarship is not needed to cover the 5 current KU commitments (Ellis, White, Peters, Lucas and Adams). The scholarships that were used this past season by Robinson, seniors Taylor, Teahan and Juenemann (a walk-on given an unused scholarship in January), and junior Wesley (a walk-on given an unused scholarship for 2011-12, no promises after that) cover those 5.

Andy Hess 3 years, 7 months ago

Where does it say Wesley is losing his scholarship? Answer: NOWHERE. If all they had to do to keep the scholarships at 13 was move Wesley to walk on status, they would've done that first before having a player transfer.

oldalum 3 years, 7 months ago

I don't know who "they" are who said Merv was mad about playing time and thought the team burned him. (Why do I get the feeling that you actually support some other team. Rarely do you hear a Kansas fan refer constantly to the Kansas Jayhawks.) Of course he went to Self, as Self meets with all the players at the end of the year. It sounded to me like an amicable break-up on both sides, with our staff helping him find a new place. I think you are starting false rumors, but at least it gave you a chance to say "I told you so."

Rolland Remmert 3 years, 7 months ago are 100% correct. I'm sure I've seen this guy on the Kansas page and he is as solid a MU troll as you can find. He not only needs to rise above the hate but also rise above his small waist size IQ. Good call on your part

brooksmd 3 years, 7 months ago

Here is one of his posts from April 11th:

"Well the Kansas Jayhawks basketball team is going to suck in 2012-2013 season if they dont get atleast 1 top 5 players in this recruiting class...Bill Self needs to do a better job at recruiting if he wants to keep his job as the Kansas Jayhawks basketball coach.

Its kinda disappointing that the Kansas Jayhawks can never land a top 5 recruiter to have a huge run threw the NCAA tourny

They will need that if they want to make another Final four appearance"

April 11, 2012 at 4:20 p.m.

He seems to be a very knowledgeable Kansas Jayhawk fan. NOT!!!

Mike Bratisax 3 years, 7 months ago

RISEABOVEHATE56, "See i told you all there are going to be some players from the Kansas Jayhawks team to transfer to another school and there will be other schools players to come to Kansas Jayhawks"

Must have been somewhere else since you only joined March 28th of this year.

Benz Junque 3 years, 7 months ago

Ah, the infamous "THEY SAY". Any thoughts that Merv had about getting quality PT at Kansas were just a pipe dream. Sometimes kids don't have a clear understanding of their true abilities.

I hope that he is able to find a program where he can play. I am sure he won't have a problem. He just wasn't a good enough player to ever crack the rotation at Kansas.

Sam Finocchiaro 3 years, 7 months ago

Merv only wanted play time for NBA. This is what this is about. I'm not so sure I agree with Merv, but obviously I'm not in his shoes. Look at him, he looks like he could play for my high school team, no wonder he didn't play. If he would've put some bulk on his bones, he would have had a better chance.

YaBoyJrod 3 years, 7 months ago

Who will fakejeffwithey talk about now

PenguinPete 3 years, 7 months ago

That was my first thought when I heard the news.

Alex Berger 3 years, 7 months ago

For real. Merv has been my favorite KU name ever.

PAjayhawk22 3 years, 7 months ago

i love fakejeffwithey. he had me rolling during the ohio state game

Thomas Michaud 3 years, 7 months ago

Was just looking at the roster moments ago and the recruiting coming in ... Hate to see Merv go, but can understand that he might want more playing time. Never like loosing height.

As others have said, and will continue to say, once a Jayhawk, always a Jayhawk -- we always like keeping tabs on former players/transfers around here.

FarSideHawk 3 years, 7 months ago

Does that mean Tony Parker is coming to Lawrence?

If he is leaving on his own, then it's ok, but I really hate it when kids are asked to leave to make room for higher rated recruits.

gchawk 3 years, 7 months ago

I'm with you, but I can't remember if Merv was on a scholarship or not. Best of luck, Merv, and thanks for all your contributions to the team.

Eric Dawson 3 years, 7 months ago

Merv was on scholarship. See,12410,12410#msg-12410 for a detailed synopsis of KU's 2012 recruiting situtation.

gchawk 3 years, 7 months ago

Let me guess, you're a motivational speaker.

Jeff Kilgore 3 years, 7 months ago

Let me guess, you're a standup comedian! (But I agree with you).

gchawk 3 years, 7 months ago

Yes he would if he practiced with the team.

JamesA 3 years, 7 months ago

Such a clueless post, swagg. Is every freshman supposed to automatically be at the level of a lottery pick?

gchawk 3 years, 7 months ago

I finally had time to look up the rules, and if a player practiced with the team, regardless of scholarship or not, he would have to receive an official release, so WAKE UP EINSTEIN.

Chris Shaw 3 years, 7 months ago

This is the part I hate about college athletics. Now, let me preface this by saying that we have no idea what was said by Self and Lindsay. We also don't know what was said to Lindsay back during the recruiting process last year.

Now that we know Merv is officially transferring I am a firm believer that Self, Staff, and Kansas probably should have not brought this kid to Lawrence in the first place. If Self and Co. had zero plans of Merv being on the roster for 4 or 5 years (red-shirting) than this is the type of kid that I believe you just leave alone.

I am sure Merv gained valuable experience and can one day say he played basketball at Kansas, but now the kid has to sit out a year at any other Div I school! Like I said, we will never know if Merv was pushed or asked to leave the program, but I just had a bad feeling about this situation from the start. I'm just not a fan of these type of situations.

kkoenig 3 years, 7 months ago

agreed. curious recruitment & scholarship use all around. Might have been the best, athletic guy Self could get that late in the game last year.

Does this pave the way for the still-to-be-signed-for-2012 recruit Self's been hitting at? Everything points to that.

KULA 3 years, 7 months ago

I hate it too. Makes the program look like a cut-throat bottom-line business. Hope Merv ends up at Tulsa.

Joe Baker 3 years, 7 months ago

I think TU would be a great place with DMan. That may be the reason he's transferring. He sees an opp and is taking it. I think it's a win win win situation.

Kye Clark 3 years, 7 months ago

The Merv to Tulsa scenario would be pretty sweet, but they're up against it with their scholarship situation too. I think they might have one to offer.

lee3022 3 years, 7 months ago

Merv has almost a whole year to prove himself in practice and a little game time. He, like many players, was an unknown coming out of HS. You win some of those and you lose some of those. It is better for all that Merv transfers to a program where he will get PT. It is better for KU because there is a scholarship opening for another player. It is better for the transfer school because they get a player that can help them. It is better for Merv because he wants to play and be part of the solution for a school. " tis better to have loved and lost then never to have loved at all." - Tennyson

Chris Shaw 3 years, 7 months ago

I am just curious, how is the better for all? I don't think you realize how much of grind it is on you personally to transfer schools! Plus, he has to sit out a year regardless (red shirt or not) in order to play basketball again!

I don't know, I think from Day 1 the writing was on the wall that Merv was going to be a fringe player! Unless you have the support from your coach as a 4 or 5 year player and your coach is going to make a commitment to you no matter who is brought in, then you take the chance Merv did.

However, I truly believe in my gut that this wasn't the case in this situation. It's a crappy situation if you want my true opinion. It's a pain in the ass to transfer and to start over again!

Kye Clark 3 years, 7 months ago

100% agree. We discussed this possibility a couple of weeks ago.

Part of this is the NCAA's fault. Scholarships are only 1-year contracts, yet if that contract is not "renewed" and the kid has to transfer he has to sit out a year. Total garbage.

Wishing Merv all the best and hope he lands somewhere where he has a high chance to succeed.

Alex Berger 3 years, 7 months ago

Are you sure that's how scholarships are set up? I thought it was a four year contract and you needed to ask to get out of it or you could be dismissed for disciplinary reasons. That's why Weis couldn't just come in and cut the players he didn't want but they could be "strongly advised" to transfer since they won't get playing time. That or disciplinary reasons. So it could just be that Self told Merv that it was highly likely he wouldn't get playing time with all the talent coming in.

Chris Shaw 3 years, 7 months ago

Icthawk is absolutely correct! Not so much anymore, but the misconception back in the day, and it could still be this way if your family hasn't been exposed to Div I that Div I scholarships are 1 year renewable contracts that can be given or taken away at anytime by the Coach and Athletic Director!

Icthawk, this part just drives me nuts at times. It would be interesting down the line to hear Merv's side of things after he's done with his college career.

I too wish him all the best!

Sam Constance 3 years, 7 months ago

I'm having a hard time understanding how you can hold the opinion that Self & Co. should never have brought Merv to Lawrence in the first place if we don't know what was said at the time of recruitment nor what was said this past week.

How do you know that 4-5 years wasn't ALWAYS the coaches' plan for Merv and he didn't just have a change of heart?

It's not the first time a 18-yr old kid would have heard "We think you have a chance down the road to be a solid contributor, but you will have to work hard and won't play much initially...", but was secretly thinking to himself that he would be able to get on the court faster by surprising the staff with his abilities in practice.

To your point, maybe Self went to him and had a heart to heart with him about how realistic his expectations should be regarding playing time next year. Or maybe Self broached the topic of a redshirt for next year (given the depth we have coming in) and while Merv had been previously aware of the difficulty of playing time, didn't think he'd have to spend a redshirt year.

There are any number of twists this situation could have taken, so I think it's hard to definitively say that the staff shouldn't have brought Merv to Kansas.

Vernon Riggs 3 years, 7 months ago

When you consider that Travis, BenMac, White, Green will all play the 3-Spot over the next 1-5 years, playing time will be short for Merv if he would have stayed. I join you and most of the KUNation in wishing him the best of luck. I would give up a lot for the chance to wear a Kansas uniform even for one year.

Chris Shaw 3 years, 7 months ago

Don't be naive Marchphog. Your half full approach may be correct, but the half empty approach is also possible. Unless you have been in a situation, first hand, we may never know, but I have seen, been, and gone through a situation like this and kids like this always get the politically correct talk.

Don't you think Merv would have taken a red-shirt if offered? I mean, look at Releford, Teahan, and Morningstar! Personally, I don't think the red-shirt was ever offered!

When it comes to stuff like this, I think Self is brutally honest after the fact, which was a week ago, but in his heart of hearts he knew before Merv even stepped foot on campus!

Personally, I think this was all started last year when KU missed on their main targets and had to settle for other recruits. IMO, I think you need to save the scholarship in this situation if you aren't truly sold on a recruit.

I totall believe that Self loves Merv and loves him as a person, but I don't think Self loves Merv's game or ever saw him as a long term plan at Kansas. And for that, that is the part I don't agree with!

bradh 3 years, 7 months ago

There's a lot of "I thinks" in there. You may be right, or you may be wrong, but is pretty harsh to jump so hard on the negative side with only a gut feeling. A lot of people are trying and convicting people in the media these days without any evidence and only a gut feeling to go on. I think we all need to take a step back and wait for facts to come out before jumping Coach Self and the program.

BTW, I'm sorry you got a crappy deal.

Chris Shaw 3 years, 7 months ago

I agree with that, but that's why it's called a discussion! I also believe some kids are going to have better recruitments than others and you will always have successes and failures with anybody going forward.

I just would find it interesting down the line what was actually said in the recruiting process last year and what was said in the final meeting last week or a few weeks. I am sure those conversations were totally different.

I hear ya and I agee with you, but my "I think's" is just simply my opinion. I've been around the game long enough and have enough friends in the business (AAU and College) that I see the ugly side of the exploitation "Amateur Athletics" side. It's not all bad, but it's not all great either for some individuals...........just like life.

I just feel that Merv was never apart of the long-term plan and IMO should have not been brought to Kansas in the first place. That's not a knock on Merv, I just think it's a breakdown in the system when a program like Kansas misses on it's first, second, third, and fourth recruits.

Krohnutz 3 years, 7 months ago

Wait, I thought if the school agreed to your release you could transfer and not have to sit out under most circumstances. I am gonna have to dig on this one. The LJW needs to elaborate on this...

Chris Shaw 3 years, 7 months ago

If you are transferring to another Div I school you have to sit out a year if you don't have a "Hardship Clause"! You can use that transfer year as a reshirt year now, so wherever Merv transfers he could potentially have 3 more years of elgibility and be like Jeff Withey as a 5th year redshirt senior.

Jack Rivers 3 years, 7 months ago

You rarely can transfer without losing a year of eligibility. Sometimes they grant a release for special circumstance (ie moving closer to home to be near a sick relative), but that is rare. What you are probably thinking of is that if granted a release the kid doesn't lose that year of eligibility. Basically it is like a mandatory redshirt year.

Chris Shaw 3 years, 7 months ago

One other thing on this topic, I know if my 3 year old son is lucky enough to be a Division I basketball player, I will advise him to never be apart of a 5, 6, or 7 person recruiting class.

Only if there is without a shadow of doubt that he is a blue chipper or the best player at his position being recruited to that school, would I even advise him to consider that school.

IMO, the best recruiting classes for individuals are 2, 3, and 4 man recruiting classes where the coach is recruiting you and only you at your position in your class.

Once the coach starts recruiting multiple positions, all the coach is doing is looking for "Bodies" and to see who will prevail from that class. The kid who is on the outside looking in is usually told in a nice way to pack your bags and, "We will do everything we can to help you with your basketball career!".

Chris Shaw 3 years, 7 months ago

Sour grapes for talking about sizes of recruiting classes? It's called being smart and realistic!

I'm not saying he's going to play basketball, hell he might be the Wilt Chamberlain of the gymnastics high bar and rewrite all the rules for that event as a 7 foot gymnast raising the bar from 9 feet up to 10 feet or 11 feet.

I don't see any sour grapes for being prepared and being smart!

niemoth 3 years, 7 months ago

Self still needs to bring him in if he wants to come to Kansas. Self doesn't know if he will turn into a great player for his system. I didn't think Releford was going to do much for our program at first either. He had to redshirt a year after being used sparingly his freshman year. Turned into a great player for Self's system and started for a final four team. Self was probably hopeful Lindsay would have similar situation.

Chris Shaw 3 years, 7 months ago

I agree with you completely, but just because it's the Half Full appoach and the quotes by both Merv and Self are all fluffy and nice, doesn't mean Merv isn't disappointed about the situation.

This is only his first steps, but I fully believe that Merv expected to be in a Kansas uniform 4 or 5 years. Nobody expects to go to an institution of higher learning to play college basketball and expect to leave after the first year. Nobody wants that no matter how great the program.

Transferring sucks! It's a pain in the rear end trying to get your classes accepted, transferred, and supported by another institution. I fully agree that Merv probably cherished every second of his NCAA Title run, practice everyday with D. Manning and Self, and apart of a blueblood program, but there is definitely disappointment I am sure. I don't understand why that emotion would be considered negative though?

Also, not everybody is going to turn into a T-Rob! Not everybody expects to go the NBA! Some players want to have a role, mean something to the team, get minutes eventually down the road, and have an opportunity to contribute to a team eventually. If it doesn't happen than he/she was at least apart of the program for 4 or 5 years.

I just never fully believed that Merv had a legitimate opportunity to earn his minutes his freshman year! Not because he wasn't given the opportunity, but because his talent level wasn't ready for that opportunity. IMO, it's okay if you're not ready to crack the rotation if you still have the confidence of the coaches and they know physically you're just not ready yet.

That thinking is a lot different than the coaches knowing in their heart of hearts that you just won't ever be competing at the level needed at Kansas. That's why I don't think Merv was the right piece from the get go! I don't think the evaluation and recruiting process was fair to him in the end because of him now having to go through the pain of transferring.

Michael Auchard 3 years, 7 months ago

Best of luck, Merv. Saw this one coming a long way out, but I hope you can achieve your goals at another university.

Mark Lindrud 3 years, 7 months ago

I kind of hoped this would happen. Nothing against the kid, but when I looked at next years roster he was going to get lost in the shuffle. I actually kept forgetting about him when I discussed our depth chart. I am sure he is a good kid and a nice player but he just wasn't going to make it here.

For his sake I hope he finds a place to get quality playing time and yeah if he did end up with Manning at Tulsa I will root for them both. Good luck and hope things work out.

Rolland Remmert 3 years, 7 months ago

Not only next year but when you look @ the following year, his prospects for playing time weren't favorable unless he really was able to step it up. guess it's one of those things coaches and fans have to acclimate themselves to, one or two kids bailing out every year for one reason or another. Hope he finds a school that can find an immediate need for his services. I assume he will have to sit a year with any other Div I school

Mark Lindrud 3 years, 7 months ago

Rock_Chalk_NYC 3 years, 7 months ago

Best wishes Merv! Once a Jayhawk, always a Jayhawk...

kranny 3 years, 7 months ago

He was probably asked to redshirt which means he was going to sit out anyway. I predict a mid-major maybe even division 2 so he doesn't have the sit out.

Rockchlk1333 3 years, 7 months ago

Speculation - I have a good feeling about this. Does the KU staff already know the status of Tony Parker? This might have been done to make some room. Lord I hope so! What a great addition to this recruiting class it would be. It's sad to see a kid with such class go though! Wish you the best Merv.

Joe Baker 3 years, 7 months ago

Bingo - NO disrespect to Lindsay. Self loves this entire team. He does run a business and this isn't so bad for Lindsay.

I would think this is a HUGE sign that Parker is coming. I was waiting for this today. I wondered when this was going to be announced.

tbbucboy21 3 years, 7 months ago

nah were not getting parker. need to grab a point. adams is more of a combo guard and will need time. only EJ and tharpe can handle next year

Alex Berger 3 years, 7 months ago

Good luck finding that point guard. The pickins are slim.

Chris Shaw 3 years, 7 months ago

I hope I am wrong, but I would be "Shocked" if Parker chose Kansas. As of right now, I think it's very slim.

Brian Skelly 3 years, 7 months ago

KU is fortunate that we have a lot of guys who'll come here to walk-on and play on their own dime. We also seem to 'shuffle' scholarships around a lot as well and I, like others arent sure thats the greatest thing in the world.

The reality is, I never knew why we got Merv to begin with. Yes, he was available. Yes, he probably loved the idea of playing here. But once it became apparent he'd never see the floor it just makes you wonder.

Regardless, good luck to him and I hope he finds a good landing spot.

Chris Shaw 3 years, 7 months ago

I also agree with that! With that said, if Merv wanted to be here and wanted that opportunity like Teahan in his final year than Merv's recruitment makes sense. Not everybody gets to play and I understand that hurdle, but the game of basketball isn't always about playing, but simply knowing your role and where you stand on the team.

As long as Self was up front with Merv possibly said that I see you doing good things in years 3, 4, or 5 than I understand it. Anything else, I just don't understand the recruitment with Merv from the onset!

I wish him the best though! He does seem like a good kid!

CardHawkFan 3 years, 7 months ago

Could we expect to see the headline "Lindsey Transfers to Tulsa"...? Just a thought.

tbbucboy21 3 years, 7 months ago

tony parkers not coming to KU not with all the bigs we have next year. this is for josiah turner hopefully (or if those trevor releford rumors had any truth to them)

lama 3 years, 7 months ago

Turner was a disaster at Arizona this year. Save it for the next class.

Jack Wilson 3 years, 7 months ago

tbbucboy21: Exactly what "bigs" do we have for next season? Withey, one year remaining. Ellis really a three. Lucas/Peters/Traylor who are low or unranked players that may develop, but who will take time .. no reason to think any of the three will be an immediate impact. KY isn't standing in the way of any real 4 or 5. And don't even suggest Wesley. Numbers don't mean anything. Talent would .. and I'm quite sure Parker would worry about what we have now.

Parker would immediately be in the rotation at the 4/5 .. something only Withey and Ellis are assured of (most likely). No one else is anywhere near that.

Mr. Parker .. the spot is yours.

tbbucboy21 3 years, 7 months ago

from what people are saying parker is almost lock for ucla if not georgia. ellis will play the 4 at KU no doubt. when recruiting against KU in this case its easy...u tell the kid KU already has withey who will play 30+ min and a returning national runner up contributers in wesley and young and with 3 other 6'8+ guys coming in including a mc. all american its a tough sell. we need a pg

Sam Constance 3 years, 7 months ago

Oh yes, "people" are saying so...

Any recruit who is scared off by any sentence or collection of words that involves the words "Wesley" and "National Runner Up contributor" is not worth recruiting.

And I find that especially hard to believe, considering that Parker would also have word direct from the horse's mouth (Bill Self) that he would be an immediate impact, rotation guy. Self knows that Wesley and Young aren't going to beat out Tony Parker.

Alex Berger 3 years, 7 months ago

All these other programs you mentioned have big guys too. Parker could look at Wesley and Young and see how he would match up (favorably). I think we have more of a shot than you give credit because none of our bigs except Withey are ready to start at this level. And Self has called Ellis a big guard quite a few times so I think Ellis wouldn't be used as a 4 unless needed.

Joe Baker 3 years, 7 months ago

Releford is not coming. Those rumors laid to rest. Turner is a disaster. Self will not touch him now. He had his chance.

Vernon Riggs 3 years, 7 months ago

I don't think the Releford rumors are exactly laid to rest. There are 'hardship rumors' afloat. I think it is possible that a Number 12 Releford will be playing in AFH next year next to his older brother as a Jayhawk. We should know this week if Releford is coming, where Tony Parker is going and if Rio Adams qualified. Big week.

Mike Bratisax 3 years, 7 months ago

I would love to see J. Turner come to KU although it means sitting out a year.

ldjayhawk 3 years, 7 months ago

I remember reading Merv being the best shooter in the current KU team. Hate to see any kid leaving, but sure he has to look out for his best interest. So does this mean we will have officially 2 schlorships available for next year?

tbbucboy21 3 years, 7 months ago

1...unless adams doesnt qualify (counting if justin wesley goes back to non scholly player)

ldjayhawk 3 years, 7 months ago

Only 1? Thought T-Rob leaving for NBA will free an extra up.

tbbucboy21 3 years, 7 months ago

rele, EJ, Withey, tharpe, B-mac, traylor, kevin young, 5 freshmen (peters, lucas, ellis, white, adams). =12 and we get only 13 so ya we only have 1 open if wesley goes back to non schol

Robert Brock 3 years, 7 months ago

FWIW, Tony Parker is going to Georgia and will never be heard from again.

Krohnutz 3 years, 7 months ago

Which is what happens when you commit to play at Georgia.

John Boyle 3 years, 7 months ago

Yeah and if you don't believe Krohnutz ask Dominique Wilkens.

Krohnutz 3 years, 7 months ago

Had to reach back thirty years for that one. Georgia is just puttin' them in the NBA left and right.

Since they have had fourteen all time in both the NBA and ABA, I am gonna stick to my guns and say it is professional graveyard.

As George Bush would say, "Nice try."

Krohnutz 3 years, 7 months ago

It has blimped all the way up to 17 with the addition of Gaines, Leslie, and Thompkins.

And if you were wondering, yes, one of the three actually averaged over double digit minutes for his team. Who knew!?!

Jack Wilson 3 years, 7 months ago

We all saw this coming, right? No surprise here. Best for KU, best for Lindsay.

When he signed, many were curious how a guy like this would ever get any playing time. There was of course the group that said he would be a stud, Self must see something in this kid, he could contribute immediately, etc. (I point this out simply as a recurring example of the over-exuberance displayed when anyone signs or commits).

But by and large, most were puzzled. This seemed like kind of a "grab depth because we have a scholarship available" move. And from the kid's perspective, it was "wow, KU!" As opposed to .. I will never, ever play. Reality has set in after one season.

Now -- again, as most here have predicted -- a scholarship is now magically available. Amazing how that happens, isn't it?

The question now is, as Lindsay was the most obvious transfer, is there another shoe to drop? Wesley to walk-on status now opens a spot for Parker or some one else. But if we add two, one more must come of scholarship.

Joe Baker 3 years, 7 months ago

MR PARKER - The Big Georgia Express is on his way.

HEM you and I are the only one's that agree. Parker has way more upside when compare to Lucas and Peters. I think Lucas and Peters are great, but Parker gives us a huge body when Withey leaves.

Hank Cross 3 years, 7 months ago

Those signings did have a 'supermarket sweep' look about them, just signing someone b/c they may pan out and there were no other options. Maybe there was a thought that he would have a role similar to KY's, but just didn't make it.

In any event, I wish him the best and it's smart to move on.

Vernon Riggs 3 years, 7 months ago

Merv is a great kid but he would be fighting for playing time against Releford, White, BMac, Greene, Frankamp over the next three or four years. I think HCBS was honest. I think Merv saw the writing on the wall. Tulsa would be great. He could also join Braeden Anderson at FSU. Good luck Merv.

Chris Shaw 3 years, 7 months ago

Is it really best for Lindsay? Transferring sucks! Transferring is a pain in the ass!

Jack Wilson 3 years, 7 months ago

Yes it is best for Lindsay .. if .. a big "if" .. if he actually wants to play.

If he'd like to be Connor Teahan, and by the lightning strike of an "off" recruiting year he may get to play his senior season, than maybe not.

But we will recruiting above his level every season.

blindrabbit 3 years, 7 months ago

Be'in a left coaster myself, I hate to see a West Coast kid leave the program. Historically, KU has had very good experiences with kids from out there, not only from a ballplayer standpoint, but good, usually trouble free, good attitude youths! Just think back to their history with Brown, Williams and hopefully Self will continue to recruit out there! The main competition for recruits is Arizona, UCLA and Duke!

waywardJay 3 years, 7 months ago

Do you remember a fella by the name of CJ Giles?

Mike Bratisax 3 years, 7 months ago

Didn't he get drafted in the 1st round? He had talent. Not enough working brain cells.

Mike Bratisax 3 years, 7 months ago

TY braincells aren't at their best either.

martyks 3 years, 7 months ago

There are worse things than not seeing the floor. Ask Jeremy Case. Ask Connor Teahan, who had to serve as an endentured servant for years to get his chance. Ask any kid who's walked on and stuck. Contributing to the program is a big deal. You practice against the best, day in and day out. You drink in all the knowledge you can hold from the best coaches in the country. You watch 4 years of college games from the front row, which, btw, go for around $100 each for the rest of us. Yes, you work your hind end off, but you also end up being in the best shape of your life. I'm sorry they do not all see playing time. And, for many, playing time is what it's all about, which is understandable. But it is what it is and being a part of a team that goes to the Final Four is enough for most players. It's an experience the others on the team will not forget. Let's hope they all appreciate it as much as the overwhelming majority of KU fans appreciate them.

RJ King 3 years, 7 months ago

Thank You! I'm carrying about $10K still on my credit card from the nearly $120K worth of out of state tuition and living expenses for my daughter's KU degree in 2011. Too few people are mentioning the value of the college credits Merv received while at KU.

All kids fill out their college applications hoping they enjoy 4 years of bliss at their chosen school. Nearly all know in the back of their minds that they might transfer if it doesn't work out.

It is insulting to Merv for anyone to imply that he was that ignorant this time last year.

martyks 3 years, 7 months ago

I don't know about these great experiences with west coast kids. Chenowith? Maybe that has soured me on them, but really, to me, west coast kids = soft

Redlandsjhawk 3 years, 7 months ago

Paul Pearce was from Pasadena I believe.

Ray March 3 years, 7 months ago

Always up to no good... ;)

Joe Baker 3 years, 7 months ago

Check - Inglewood HS, right in the backyard of the Lakers.

Alex Berger 3 years, 7 months ago

I have to chuckle a little that you know where Pierce is from but don't know how to spell his name. Just kinda funny...

Hank Cross 3 years, 7 months ago

Yeah, Jaques Vaughn was a loser (Pasadena), so was Scott Pollard (San Diego).

Sam Constance 3 years, 7 months ago

Mario Chalmers (Anchorage, AK - does that count?)

Aaron Miles (Portland, OR)

Michael Lee (Portland, OR)

Drew Gooden (Richmond, CA)

Rex Walters (San Jose, CA)

Adonis Jordan (Reseda, CA)

Jerod Haase (South Lake Tahoe, CA)

Scooter Barry (Oakland, CA)

Alonzo Jamison (Santa Ana, CA)

Steve Gantz 3 years, 7 months ago

Jacque Vaughn, Jerrod Haase, Scott Pollard I think, just to name a few off the top of my head.

DCLawHawk 3 years, 7 months ago

Chenowith was a fine kid. It's not his fault that Roy could not coach bigs. Statistically, he actually stacks up decently in some categories, especially given the relative talent level of the rest of the team at that time (when Roy would only recruit half the country, would not recruit against UNC, and would take every other year off).

Mike Bratisax 3 years, 7 months ago

Chenowith had the misfortune of following LaFrentz and the expectations were way to high. Personally, I believe he was a much better player than Withey, esp on the offensive end. Probably not a popular opinion but his stats back it up.

JayHawkFanToo 3 years, 7 months ago

How about Micah Downs. He was officially listed as being from Washington, but he went to 7 schools in high school. The kid had talent but he was also a head case. He never quite fit at KU but ended up doing OK at Gonzaga.

Joe Baker 3 years, 7 months ago

We will have a ton of fire power, dynamite, trifecta mastas, sharp shooters, snipers, and they will be all KU.

EJ, Rel, White, BMac, Tharpe(?), Adams, and even Ellis can drop the rock from downtown from time to time. I think his shot is already ahead of the Twins and TRob.

Curtis Stutz 3 years, 7 months ago

I'm sure Mr. Lindsay had a great time this season and improved his game, hopefully he has a ton of success at his next stop and will never forget a great season at KU

kcn18 3 years, 7 months ago

I would be mad too if I had to play behind teahan...

Steve Kubler 3 years, 7 months ago

My thought on Lindsay was that he was brought on to fill the role that Teahan ended up in. His height is right and he is supposedly a terrific shooter so he seems to fit the spot. My guess is that his D never got where it needed to be leaving Conner in the rotation.

I hope he finds a home where he is happy and gets that PT he craves.

Ray March 3 years, 7 months ago

He seems like a great kid. I kind of looked forward to seeing him develop. It was going to be hard to get much PT though. I can see why he would want to look elsewhere.

Best of luck Merv! You will always be a Jayhawk in our hearts!

This brings up one other question though......does this mean that there might be 1 or 2 more recruits that are strongly considering coming to KU next year? I know in the past when we were short a scholarship or 2 and had some talented guys coming in, things "happened to open up" and players "suddenly decided it was best for them to look elsewhere for PT".

I wonder if this is the case?

Kye Clark 3 years, 7 months ago

Those calling for this extra scholarship to be filled by a point guard, let me ask you...who? There are no decent prep point guards left worth bringing in. Ditto for juco players. Josiah Turner? He's the only one that makes even a little bit of sense, but I don't see it happening.

It's Tony Parker or nothing. If Parker signs elsewhere, let Wesley remain on scholarship for another year and stash it away for next year. Better to do that than to bring in another kid with no chance of seeing the court anytime soon and have him transfer like Lindsay had to. Really, is there anybody else that we're in on that makes sense?

Vernon Riggs 3 years, 7 months ago

Trevor Releford playing next year with his brother on a 'hardship transfer' would make sense if they could pull that off.

Vernon Riggs 3 years, 7 months ago

I hear what you are saying. And, I saw the Tweet from Travis. But...

Alohahawk 3 years, 7 months ago

My thoughts exactly, ict.... If Parker wants to come, KU needs him. As for a PG, who does Self go after? A few posters keep bringing up that a PG should be Self's priority. That's true, in a sense. But saying KU needs a PG, and finding someone that improves the Jayhawks on the court, that is a whole different thing. Yes, Releford's brother would have been a good fit, but Travis seems to have squelched that possibilty. Turner? He can't help KU this coming season because transfers have to sit a year. And since he can't help for a year, why not try for a 5 star in 2013 (like Freeman). Because, if Self signed Turner it could end up scaring Freeman off.

So, for those who are pleading for Coach Self to bring in a PG (with or without adding Parker), name someone worthwhile, or give it up. Or do you want Self to waste a scholarship on someone he knows isn't up to the task, a scholarship which at least could be used by Wesley?

Chris Shaw 3 years, 7 months ago

Jahii Carson from Arizona State didn't play this year, but it is still undetermined whether or not he could play right away in 2012-2013.

It is also undetermined if he is transferring, but his name is being thrown around out there with Turner, but he wouldn't be able to play until 2013-2014.

Tony Bandle 3 years, 7 months ago

Let's look at the positives for Merv:

1] A whole year of being coached under Bill Self. 2] A whole year of being coached under Danny Manning [something no other new Jayhawk will have for a long time if ever...even if he was a guard] 3] Being part of a team that won a Big 12 conference title. 4] The experience of playing in Allen Fieldhouse, Madison Square Garden and Maui. 5] Being part of a team that went all the way to the Final NCAA Championship Game.

How many freshman guards in America can boast of such a year.....not too many.

I wish him only the best and hope he takes his experiences and training to the next level in college.of his choice.

Wisconsin2Kansas 3 years, 7 months ago

I pray we don't sign Tony Parker. I'd rather save a roster spot for the 2013 recruiting class and sign someone worth getting. Tony Parker is undersized for being a center and doesn't seem athletic enough to play power forward.

Joe Baker 3 years, 7 months ago

We will lose Withey, EJ, and Rel. We will have three guaranteed spots. We might lose BMac according to TT and Rel who says that BMac is NBA ready. We could have four open spots.

Now when WIthey leaves, who's playing the 5 ? Lucas? Peters? Wesley? Ok, what happens when foul prone Wesley has 4 fouls and Lucas and Peters just aren't big enough to handle the talent we face?

Parker is your 5 option that you want in the paint. Watch his vids. Pay special attention to his hands, rebounds and put backs. Note these are with people banging him and grabbing his arms. Remember how Withey got pushed around in the paint? I'd like to see someone push the Georgia Peach Tree in the paint.

texashawk10 3 years, 7 months ago

Kevin Young will be a senior as well so 4 guaranteed scholarship openings.

Sam Constance 3 years, 7 months ago

He's undersized for an NBA center. At least, according to conventional thinking.

But he's plenty big to play that position in college. There aren't a whole lot of bonafide 7-footers out there in the college game.

Plus, as truehawk93 notes, it's about his post skills more than his size.

Alex Berger 3 years, 7 months ago

Parker is like a Sullinger clone. I think I would be ok with a Jared Sullinger on my team.

Wisconsin2Kansas 3 years, 7 months ago

That's the problem, he's too much like Sully. Sully does well against players his size or smaller. But when he goes up against someone taller than him, he gets dominated.

You're going to need size if you want to make it far into the NCAA Tournament. Look at Ohio State, if it weren't for the size of KU they would have been playing Kentucky for the Championship.

I'm telling you, size matters... that's what she said! (Michael Scott voice)

Dyrk Dugan 3 years, 7 months ago

Merv, bless your heart, and good luck in your future endeavors.

with that said....Tony Parker, come on down! Plenty of schollie room for 2012, if you would like to take advantage of it.....some of the best coaching in the country, and a chance for you to play against your brethren in the south in the NCAA tourney.....we're going to be loaded Tony, so you're best chance of winning big is in Lawrence.

C'mon Tony! pick up that Jayhawk hat on Friday! :)

Dyrk Dugan 3 years, 7 months ago

spoke too soon. Rivals just posted that Parker won't announce his decision this week. this stuff changes by the minute almost. :)

Jake Powell 3 years, 7 months ago

Dude's name is Merv. You knew he would never cut it at KU. He needs to get into the game show business. Oh yeah.........that's a different Merv.

Steve Bunch 3 years, 7 months ago

" and my family have decided to transfer at the end of the semester..."

Hmm, must have missed a few of those English 101 classes.

Tony Bandle 3 years, 7 months ago

After the 2012-2013 Season:

Jeff, Elijah, Travis, Kevin, graduate, so that leaves at least 4 [5 if Keith takes care of his cuz] schollies.

So far we have Brandon and Conner in 2013.

Justin will be a senior, so he may keep a schollie

I am pretty sure BenMac, Jamari, Perry, Nadiir, A&W, Anrio and Landon will all stay

If Tony comes, I doubt he is a one and done...that still leaves at least 2 schollies for 2013!!

Alex Berger 3 years, 7 months ago

And SG Freeman looks to be heavily leaning towards KU in 2013. Chris Walker seems pretty high on us too. I think 2013 will be a monster class.

Wisconsin2Kansas 3 years, 7 months ago

Nino Jackson will also be apart of our 2013 recruiting class. He still needs to get his grades in order, but once he does that, he'll be ready to commit and sign.

tical523 3 years, 7 months ago

I am sure that Self hates to do this as much as we hate to hear about it but it is a very tough, bottom line business. I have no proof but I would be willing to bet that Bill stays in touch and would always welcome a visit or call from Merv, or any kid in this situation; coach would help him any way he could during and after this process. BUT I do feel bad for Merv because I know he loved being a Hawk but now time for him to get focused and determined to kick some ass on the hardwood for whoever he plays for!! Good luck Mr. Lindsay, RC4L.

Martin Rosenblum 3 years, 7 months ago

Merv will always be known as the "Kansas transfer" wherever he ends up. Just like Withey, who is the "Arizona transfer" and Kevin Young, the "Loyola-Marymount transfer" . Not a bad thing to be labeled with.

There were some who could have been labeled similarly, but not without controversy. Who can give me a list of these notorious "Kansas transfers"? I'll start the list:

• Micah Downs

Kye Clark 3 years, 7 months ago

David Padgett, Quintrell Thomas, Royce Woolridge, Omar Wilkes, JR Giddens

JayHawkFanToo 3 years, 7 months ago

Thomas Appleton transferred out. Rodrick Stewart and Jerod Haase transferred in.

Chris Shaw 3 years, 7 months ago

Rex Walters, Lester Earl, Luke Axtell back in the Roy Williams days!

Marlon London, John Crider, Ben Davis, were others that transferred out that haven't been mentioned yet.

Martin Rosenblum 3 years, 7 months ago

Great additions to the list. Can't forget Lester Earl! Luke Axtell was the Conner Teahan of his day.

Honestly, I don't remember Ben Davis.

Martin Rosenblum 3 years, 7 months ago

I think he had some success after leaving KU. This is what needs to happen to Merv.

Martin Rosenblum 3 years, 7 months ago

Steve Kubler 3 years, 7 months ago

Anyone remember Jeff Guiot?

Was a freshman with Manning, and left after one year with Larry Brown.

Sam Constance 3 years, 7 months ago

That's not fair to Micah. At least he chose to leave and wasn't kicked out of the program (although he did seem to be a bit high maintenance).

Any list of "notorious" Kansas transfers must start with:

C.J. Giles - kicked out of the program for being a woman beater J.R. Giddens - kicked out for being being stabbed at the Moon Bar

Martin Rosenblum 3 years, 7 months ago

Downs left the team before conference play ever began I believe. Of al the names mentioned here, his antics seemed to be the most immature and surprising. He probably would have seen more PT than most of the others. J.R. and C.J. were proving themselves but personal issues got in their way. Merv always reminded me of a kid who never grew into his body. He must have impressed the coaching staff with some talent set that never was allowed to mature and develop as a college player. Best of luck to the young man.

Choctaw 3 years, 7 months ago

If you remember Micah had a dad that was the nut case control freak. I think he forced Micah to leave and it was best for all involved. He is now playing ball overseas after graduating from Gonzaga close to his nutty dad. He was an 18 year old kid whose dad put him on a pedestal and reality knocked him off. Long fall for a young man but a killer for his dad.

ku_foaf 3 years, 7 months ago

I think the dad was the one that wanted him to go to Kansas, not Micah, and that was the problem. Plus he had a girlfriend he didn't want to be away from. His heart just didn't really seem to be into being at KU. Had a pretty bad injury knee injury while at Gonzaga if I recall correctly.

Krohnutz 3 years, 7 months ago

David Padgett always struck me as the dumbest. His reasoning was completely bogus. I was fine with everybody else (actually, I was beyond ecstatic that Giddens got shown the door).

But I don't put Merv in either of those guys cases.

And I don't view Withey as the "Arizona transfer." And I'm sure as he was blocking shots in the Final Four, the Arizona alumni might have wished he was there when they lost in the first round of the NIT at home.

Lance Hobson 3 years, 7 months ago

Oh, isn't that the truth about Withey! He has been phenomenal for us!

Jayhawklegacy 3 years, 7 months ago

Padgett left because Roy Williams left. He had a good carrer at Louisville, but should of stayed.

ParisHawk 3 years, 7 months ago

I read at the time that Padgett was very much maligned by student and local bulletin boarders and it weighed on him.

So, let's hear some more Morningstar / Tyshawn / Parker bashing, folks. Nothing to lose, right?

Justin Daniel 3 years, 7 months ago

I doubt Parker is coming, I think this is more in response to things looking good from the Anrio Adams camp. He must have done well on his ACT or SAT whatever one he took Sat. I think we will recruit a PG transfer, maybe Turner maybe not, but I don't see anyway Parker picks KU, whenever he gets around to it.

championhawks 3 years, 7 months ago

Highly doubt that there is any word about how well Rio did on his test from Sat. No results from an ACT (which I believe is what he was taking) are going to be available the Monday after taking the test.

Jim Jackson 3 years, 7 months ago

I agree but they must have good feelings about it.

Would love to get Parker

REHawk 3 years, 7 months ago

Merv, best of luck to you. Sorry the Kansas dream did not work out as hoped. Jayhawk fans will follow your move and keep an eye on your progress. If you wish to play next season, find a good j.c. slot, establish some decent stats, then get back into the Div. I hunt without missing a beat. You have gleaned a year of practice time with a team which played for the national championship, and you were a part of that grand entourage. Keep your sights high, and keep a'pumpin'. You are a 2011-12 Jayhawk forever, member of a league championship squad which accomplished great things. You have experienced the best coaches and trainers in the land, and are destined to be lifetime acquaintances or friends with a bevy of future professional athletes.

John Randall 3 years, 7 months ago

Thinking ahead to the time we have to replace Withey, I am torn between Parker with a year of practice time and six or eight minutes a game versus what we would come up with by saving back the scholarship and going after 2013 blue chippers.

If Parker is seriously an admirer of Andrea Hudy, he is going to find out that her method is not a way for improving players, but rather of guiding players to improve themselves, and a lot of what I see/hear makes me wonder how well he could buy into that.

AZHawk72 3 years, 7 months ago

With UCLA's recruits, Shabazz and Anderson, breaking all national texting records on a daily basis (former record held by Baylor's Drew who overtook Kelvin Sampson's Oklahoma/Indiana record-shattering performance), I doubt if we'll see Parker. However, his positive remarks about Hudy certainly show that the "bigs" have been coming to Kansas for more than just Danny, and this is good to hear.

The day after a great season, I was trying to move us away from the pain of a loss (although for me, the real "pain" is not getting to see these guys play anymore), so I penned my starters, the second team, and the TWO others remaining. There was no Merv listed. I was surprised that no one commented. True, few ever do comment, but it was a not-too-subtle omission of a scholarship player.

And while I don't believe we'll land Parker, Turner, or any other point guard this season, we have already landed two really good prospects from 2013. It's down to Villanova and us for an even higher rated shooting guard, Freeman, and we continue to stalk big man Randall and others. Losing four next year--Johnson, Releford, Withey, and Young--I think we'll land five from next year's class, one which is emerging more like the Chalmers-Rush-Downs group than any of the last few years.

We will have no juniors next year, which places more importance on next year's class than the current one. I feel that we'll be having this same thread next year for either Peters, Lucas, or Traylor. Call it a hunch, just like leaving Merv off my next year's roster.

Merv, kick some butt next year, and remember everything you've learned from a helluva ride. We'll all be pulling for you.

Darin Bradley 3 years, 7 months ago

Good Luck Merv. Glad you were a part of Jayhawk Nation. You'll always be welcomed back.

REHawk 3 years, 7 months ago

Regarding the recruitment of Tony Parker, this is the time of year when a cautious, rational top 30 recruit finds himself in the favorable position of being able to pick and choose from among the five or six top 10 programs in the land, knowing with better than average predictablility precisely where he will fit best for development and playing time his freshman year. If a barrage of advice comes from parents, summertime coaches and other highly ranked recruits, the plot thickens and decision making bears down like a fast moving freight train. If it is true that players born to the South most often remain close to their roots or general locale, then Tony Parker's days are filled with heavy stress. I would imagine that he represents a huge chunk of the possible winning puzzle for Bill Self's 2012-13 Jayhawk squad...and that he might possibly find a solid 20 minutes of playing time, either at the 4 position or relieving Jeff at the 5. One thing Tony probably is coming to realize for certain: if he becomes a Jayhawk, he will become part of a solid winning program; and he will have to exert maximum focus and effort to be rewarded with playing time. UCLA has sunk into the mud of despair the past couple of years, but looks to be on the upswing, what with the influx of two top recruits. But success of that program is, at this date, a huge crapshoot. Can a coach who allowed his team practices turn into thuggery and mayhem take control over talented one and done newcomers? Although extremely partial to crimson and blue, if Tony were my son I would try to guide him toward Lawrence, Kansas, esp if he matriculated with the thought of spending enough time to hone his skills into position to become an impact NBA draftee.

MeanderingHawk 3 years, 7 months ago

Parkers starting spot as a freshman at UCLA is not guaranteed. Is UCLA really giving him a better shot at an NBA ready game in 2-3 years, because he is not a one n' done like Shabazz.

This is the best fit for your game and a chance to be a part of a top team not just this year but every one you are here....come on down Tony.

JHAWK34TRUTH 3 years, 7 months ago

Thank you for your hard work and dedication, Merv. We wish you the best in life and your career.

hawkbono1313 3 years, 7 months ago

Merv consider yourself lucky. You got to experience something that most college kids dream of. Good luck at your next stop.

kgreg01 3 years, 7 months ago

I think everyone is underestimating how hard this would be for Merv. Yes it gives him a better shot to play elsewhere but the kid has to leave a great school, program and college town not to mention all the bonds made with great players, coaches and friends. It's not an easy move to make leaving.

John Boyle 3 years, 7 months ago

As hard as never having this experience? I think not.

southwindjay 3 years, 7 months ago

Kids leave and transfer all the time. Had he been a useful tool he would have been playing....He always seemed like a good team mate from his actions from the bench.

Best wishes to him whereever he lands.

niemoth 3 years, 7 months ago

Anyone see the uproar about that Lee Summit elem. school playing rock chalk on an article by Eamonn Brennan. I think that's hilarious that the Mizzou fans get are so bitter about it and make a big deal about it. KC Star said there are about 60000 KU alum in KC and only 25000 Mizzou alum in KC area (can't remember exact numbers but they are close), so playing Rock Chalk at a KC school even on the Missouri side should be acceptable.. Can't believe they are pulling the "my tax dollars" crap. I teach at Hillcrest in Springfield, MO and am one of DGB's teachers. I have my own pad of paper with my name on it that says Rock Chalk at the bottom of it. If I have to write a pass for DGB I circle the Rock Chalk at the bottom and have fun with it. Does that mean I should be getting a letter form the former state rep that says I am trying to indoctrinate my students to be KU fans. Eamonn Brennan does a great job of pointing out the poor example the parents are setting by saying if something little bothers you then throw a fit.

REHawk 3 years, 7 months ago

Educators gotta shake up those hapless little Misery rugrats, guide em to see the light! Rock Chalk!

REHawk 3 years, 7 months ago

neimoth, good luck with the MO senate!

jaybate 3 years, 7 months ago

I can see this situation with Merv two possible ways.

A. Merv gave it a shot, he wasn't good enough, didn't like the idea of just being a practice player and working for a degree, maybe missed California, and decided to go play where he was good enough. This may not have been what Coach Self preferred. He may have wanted Merv to stay and be someone like Conner Teahan; that's sort of what I had expected for Merv. Being a practice player and getting a scholie to earn a college degree from a reputable school with a redshirt year seems like a good deal to me--a lot better than borrowing your way through college and graduating with a mountain of debt, but maybe Merv didn't see it that way.

B. Merv came in a package with Kevin to get Kevin (note: if I recall correctly, Kevin and Merv had the same mentor advising them about whether to back out of SDSU, or not, and maybe to get Kevin Self had to take Merv to make the mentor happy); now Self needs the scholie for someone better, now Self forces Merv to play the charade of wanting to move on, so that Self doesn't label him a trouble maker and kill his chances of playing anywhere else.

Which is it?

No one can say without insider information.

But what one can say is this: if the truth were B, then Self and KU's PR people would want to create a situation where one had to say: I can see this situation with Merv two ways, but without insider information, no one can say for sure.

Whatever, I agree with BigManU that this is really not a good situation for KU, or for Merv, to be in. And it is completely unfair for players to be release-able yearly by coaches, but have to sit out a year to transfer. Someone needs to change this rule, or the ACLU needs to look into trying a case to get this rule changed. It is flat wrong and a disgrace to the greatest game ever invented.

jaybate 3 years, 7 months ago

And to Coach Self, if you don't want to stay with a kid for four years, use walk ons, rather than disposable scholarship players.

BigManU, I deeply respect your willingness to take this one on and see it from Merv's POV.

If I had to bet hard earned money, I would bet what happened was something like Scenario B.

But it is wrong to try to guess which way it was.

The right thing to do is keep letting Self, Sheahon, and CBernie know that, regardless of what unfair asymmetries the NCAA rules permit, we want the KU policy to be to keep the guys we give scholies to, if they are good citizens, and use walk-ons when needed, rather than churning scholies.

It is clear that neither Tyrone Appleton, nor Merv Lindsey, contributed significantly more than a walk-on could have, for whatever reasons.

Either commit to the guys for four years and a redshirt year, or don't commit to them.

The guys that jump to the L early and leave the program high and dry without early warning are another issue requiring more thought than I care to commit to right now.

We can wish Merv well.

We can say Coach Self has a history of appearing to be helpful to many of the guys that leave the program.

But we can also say we don't like this and it ought to stop, if that's the way we think.

I don't like it and I think it ought to stop.

Jeff Kilgore 3 years, 7 months ago

But that's making an awfully big assumption. It's probably more like C. Self probably told him before he signed him that he'd have a chance to prove himself and thought he would show enough promise to play. It didn't happen. No one, not even Self knows how players will develop. And I believe that Self thought that he had a good chance to blossom. In that respect, you simply can't suggest that Self was deceiving him. And since Self isn't omniscient, Merv might still turn out to be a great player.

If you and I were in Merv's shoes, maybe we stay, but Merv probably thinks of himself as a ballplayer first. The worst part is Merv having to sit a year out.

Not that Self needs defending, but I wouldn't feel comfortable telling Coach what to do. Ultimately, (playing time, new recruit) It seems as though this transfer worked out for both parties, right?

Chris Shaw 3 years, 7 months ago

We don't know for sure if it will work out nor do we know if Merv would have ever received playing time at Kansas.

The one thing that is for certain is that Coach Self gets to coach a new batch of guys regardless next year and Merv has to sit out a 1 year to play the game of basketball and then will have 2 or 3 years left.

It may be a blessing and it may not. I am a huge Bill Self advocate, but there are certain procsses, X's and O's, and method's that I won't agree with. Nothing wrong with that, but that's the beauty of being a fan.

kennethst 3 years, 7 months ago

jaybate-Right again! And really boils down to how difficult it is in any situation to keep so many individuals happy. it's hard. everyone has priorities.....including the coach.

Bottom line is we wish him well...and sorry it didnt work out.

Chris Shaw 3 years, 7 months ago

I agree with that! Well said! I am not saying Merv coming to Kansas was a bad thing at all, unlike some posters that are trying to indicate that I am. I am simply trying to understand the recruiting process that got Merv here and how that correlates to the end of the season meeting with Coach Self.

As I have stated above, I just don't believe Coach Self ever put Merv in the same category as Morninstar, Reed, Releford, and Teahan (He's a little different since he was a walk-on for 4 years). What I mean, think Coach Self always envisioned those guys being around 4 and 5 years. I just don't think that was the case with Merv.

I truly believe that Self missed on his 2011 recruits and needed bodies and Merv was available for that schollie. I'm not sure of Merv's family history or their background, but I do believe there are still young kids and their parents out there that truly don't know how a scholarship works. I know I didn't and my family didn't back in the day. I am not saying Merv didn't know this information, but this topic does seem to be avoided at the college level. Although, I think over time more and more people through media and experience understand the rule more these days.

I really do think Merv was eager to prove himself as a Kansas Basketball player, but if he really had all the information and asked himself if he thought he would be transferring away from Kansas after one year, I think he would have answered "No" to that question. I just think in the interests of both parties, looking back and all the way till now, I think Coach Self should have just saved the schollie for a more promising impact player.

I am not saying Merv isn't an "Impact" player, but I view him as a 4/5 year guy at an institutuion. I would have been just fine with Merv staying all his years in a Kansas uniform, but I think Coach Self and Staff had different plans and I don't think those were long-term plans.

Tony Bandle 3 years, 7 months ago

Merv had some fantastic experiences from walkng into Allen in a Kansas uniform, to playing in Madison Square Garden and Hawaii, to having a run to a runner-up in the NCAA tournament.

Respectfully to all, elite college basketball to the fans is a passion, but to the participants it is a big time corporate, bottom line business. Win or die. Produce or you're gone. It can be cruel and it can be unfair. Only Merv will know for sure.

However, the consistency of Kansas basketball is unquestioned. That is what makes the 1984-2011 Kansas run so amazing,...26 out of 27 NCAA appearances, 8 Final Fours, 2 NC's, numerous conference titles all with three consecutive different Head Coaches.

I'm afraid, outside of Jayhawk Nation, the rest of the country still doesn't quite "get it"!

Jack Wilson 3 years, 7 months ago

I've read the comments above .. I guess I have no problem with the Merv Lindsay transfer regardless of how it went down.

Did Coach Self deceive the kid? Meaning, did he feed him some fluff to get him to commit, solely to ensure that we had adequate depth for 2012? Knowing that Merv was not a long term solution to anything. Thinking about that .. what would have happened if Releford was hurt? Merv would have likely been a necessary bench player.

This is the scenario that some may not like. Some may dispute.

This is a scenario that may not actually be the truth. We don't know.

But I think it is the most likely scenario. And to be quite honest, as KU fans, it is the scenario that we should expect of our coach. Ugly, yes. But necessary. We would be quite upset if we didn't have adequate support off the bench .. we heard that all offseason when our 2011 recruiting efforts were a bit off.

I saw Jaybate's comments on using walk-ons. Merv is better than a walk-on. I do understand the ethics of JB's comments. But perhaps not practical when trying to win the Big 12, make the tourney and advance.

Personally .. I thought the Merv Lindsay signing was a joke at the time, and that it was unfair to the kid. It was just numbers. Guys like Merv need to go to .. Texas Tech, or Tulsa. He was never going to play here barring a catastrophe. Here's what I mentioned the day he committed:

"The thought progression this spring: Anderson, who? Ugh. Traylor, why? Young, ok .. I think I see. Merv, now it's clear. It is as simple as this: Take as many as you can, throw them up against the wall, and see who sticks. Those that don't stick, hit the road and find their way to Duquense or somewhere else for 2012-13. And none are roadblocks to the big-time guys in the 2012 class. The more guys you snag, the higher the liklihood you find a keeper. The only guy in this group that mildly interests me is Young .. because of the prior 'fro. Hope he brings it back. But also because he has some proven D-1 qualities."

Any doubts that Self did exactly that .. recruited numbers, and threw it all up against the wall? The only one that stuck this past season was KY. And we're darn lucky he did.

Chris Shaw 3 years, 7 months ago

Simply put! I agree with most of this! I also agree that Merv is better than a "Walk on", but I don't know if he is good enough from Day 1 at Kansas? Many aren't ready, but that's okay! We will never know if Merv would have produced or not later in his career, but to your point HEM, I do feel Merv is a Missouri Valley, C-USA, smaller school D-I player. Nothing wrong with that and nothing to be ashamed of abut that.

For me though, I just wish that process could have been avoided by not bringing Merv to Kansas in the first place. Let him go to a Creighton, St. Mary's, Pepperdine, LMU, Tulsa, or whatever and let him have his career.

So, basially, you and I are saying the same thing except I wish there would have been a better evaluation period to avoid the "Having to see who Stick's method"! I am just not a fan of that type of plan or method. Good Post HEM!

Jack Wilson 3 years, 7 months ago

Uh, we did not recruit Traylor and Anderson for a while at all. They were back burner guys. Self was very clear when he got Anderson that after the twins turned pro .. Self said he surprised by that .. that Anderson was the "best available." It was scramble time and those two were the best available.

Of course there was something the coaching staff liked .. they were the best available and we were desperate. That doesn't mean that they are ready made guys who will contribute now or even in the future. If Angelo Chol had signed, we would not have had Traylor at all .. he came after Anderson. Or if Kieff had stayed, no Traylor.

Self's recruiting efforts demonstrated that both Anderson and Traylor were last resorts based on circumstance.

Chris Shaw 3 years, 7 months ago

Excellent Post Konkey! I really like your name by the way! I hear what you're saying about Merv and for the most part I agree with it, but I also think by your comment of "Writing on the wall with incoming talent" that Self and Merv could have seen or even been told this situation was possible last June or July when he made his decision. I mean, it wasn't even a year ago that all this came to fruition with Merv coming to Kansas.

Yeah, I hear what you're saying, but I also think Merv was kind of used as Pawn in this whole process! If Merv knew about the entire process and still wanted the opportunity than that is a different tune and I would certainly change my stance having known more info about the situation.

Jack Wilson 3 years, 7 months ago

Shaw .. I agree .. it is a distasteful process at the very least.

jaybate 3 years, 7 months ago

Everyone is pussyfooting around the probable scenario.

Young was who Self had to get in the jam he was in.

The mentor to both Young and Lindsay, if I recall correctly, perhaps signalled he could be more pro KU in his advocacy with Young, if Young and Lindsay were a package to KU, than a package to SDSU.

Merv got a year's look with a scholie that was going to be unused, probably with the knowledge that he was a long shot that would, worst case scenario, be placed with another Okie Baller program, if Self needed his scholie.

Merv dreamed he might break through, knew SDSU was a sleaze pit, and took the big rid to get himself involved with those "doing it the right way."

I am imagining Self probably could look in the mirror and say, "Well, I'm giving the kid a shot, even though I know he probably can't make it. We'll get Young, whom we've got to have, Merv will be a practice player for a season, and I'll save both of them from falling in a cess pool in by routing one, or both, to one of my Okie Baller colleagues?

When I first thought about this issue a few days ago, I was pretty sure it was wrong to offer Merv a scholie, because I did not take into account all of the above, and because it put him in this situation of a high probability of transferring.

But if I step back and remember that Merv was headed to SDSU, if Self had not become involved, then Self's action seems almost humanitarian in its implications for Merv.

Merv, at a formative time of his life, has seen what "doing it the right way" looks like, for better and for worse. I expect Self will help Merv find a program where they are trying to do things the right way at a level he can play some.

Merv lost a year of eligibility by coming to KU it is true.

But what would Merv's life be like if had he gone to SDSU instead?

Fisher and SDSU would be his norm then. Who is to say that Fisher was not looking at Kevin and Merv similarly; that he planned to take Merv to get Kevin.

Since we are all prisoners of our experience, IMHO, being a prisoner of the Fisher/SDSU experience would be worse than losing a year of eligibility based on what little I have read of Fisher over the years.

Its all hypothesis on my part, but my hypothesis today includes more of the puzzle parts than it did in my previous attempt.

And it avoids getting lost in all of the ifs, ands and buts connected to Traylor, Braeden, Deandre, and so on.

Joe Baker 3 years, 7 months ago

I think it's safe to scratch OSU from Parker's list. ESPN just announced that Amir Williams will step into Sullinger's position. The butteye fans are still bitching and moaning about the stupid FF game.

One idiot poster said that Wiiliams should've matched up against WIthey and Sullinger against TRob. He said Sullinger would've dominated that match-up. Those OSU butteye fans are really funny posters. Sullinger dominate TRob? LOL LOL LOL LOL...LOL LOL LOL - Did I laugh? Oh wait there's more...LOL LOL LOL They are too stupid to realize that Matta purposefully kept Sullinger out of the first game so TRob didn't emasculate the poor guy and then purposefully kept him from TRob in the second game.

BTW- OSU is in the NC game next year too. I bet you didn't know that either. Wow this season is barely over and they are already deceiving themselves. Also the Hoosiers are wanting all B10 NC. LOL

Chris Shaw 3 years, 7 months ago

I had an all Big 10 championship this year! I think I'll make that prediction again! Seemed to work out in the end for me!

jaybate 3 years, 7 months ago

The lesson to be learned from this season, is that 6-7 man rotations (UK at 6, KU at 7) are the future.

1. The increasing number of TV time outs and growing length of same mean 5 starters in a 7 man rotation can gut it out one of the two games on a two game week-end playing 35mpg, while playing 30 mpg in the other, and using the 2 backups more frequently.

2. Since referees apparently will rarely let anyone foul out out of a March Madness game after the Sweet 16, your starters can play big minutes.

3. With bang ball allowed, the incentive of both coaches is to go with their best five as much as possible by slowing the pace down as much as possible in the first game of each two game weekend to leave as much in the tank for the second game as possible.

4. With bang ball allowed, the incentive in the second game of each week end is to slow the pace down as much as possible to keep the best five in the second game as much as possible.

Bang ball has changed everything.

The long and athletic running game that everyone talks about is neither going to be a game long strategy, nor an abandoned strategy, but rather a situational strategy used in bursts in pursuit of a separation that is then protected with a bang ball cycle. Run to open a lead, slow down to make it take longer to close the lead. Run to open the lead, slow down to make it take longer to close the lead. Always, always, always, play in ways and tempos that enable you to keep your best five on the floor.

I am endlessly amused at people that talk about how UK was a running team. Not!

UK ran to get a lead, then slowed it down and muddied things up, so their six man rotation could rest as much as possible at a slow pace, thus making it take longer to close the gap, thus ensuring their best five would have the most energy possible for the stretch.

jaybate 3 years, 7 months ago

KU squirted for leads when they were better than the opponent, but against a team like UK, where running would have played into UK's greater advantage in the running, KU tried to keep it muddied up until the stretch of the second half.

People getting tumescent about the depth of next year's squad don't get it.

Depth will help you replace the injured.

Depth will give you more choices and more competition to produce a 7 with a best five.

But to win now you have to have a best five that is XTReme Conditioned to play 30-35 mpg both days of each round of two game tournaments in bang ball blood baths of moving screens and forearm smashes at games in the high 50s to low 70s.

Its the new equilibrium strategy that looks a lot like the old one before bang ball was allowed.

The only difference is that now all the players have to weigh 20-30 more pounds than pre bang ball.

What a waste!

If refs had just been allowed to keep calling the game, we could have more long and athletics, more gracefully muscled, and been spared all the brawny types.

Game theorists could have predicted this equilibrium strategy pretty easily.

Terry N Tom Denner 3 years, 7 months ago

That is the problem now days with some kids. They think they should just go straight to the top and be a full time starter and when they don't then they want to transfer to another school with the attitude they will be a starter there. Maybe if it were a Juco College or say maybe some NAIA College like Emporia State. But regardless where he ends up at, good luck too him.

Keith Kienzle 3 years, 7 months ago

I don't see why people think it was a bad situation for Merv or anyone in Merv's shoes who transfers after a year of practicing with a veteran team that went to the NC? If we know anything about Self's squads it is that guys who play small roles in games one year can come in and dominate in games the next year. If Merv took advantage of the opportunities he had to train with our team this year I can only imagine he will be much better for it at his next stop. At the very least, he'll have gained some valuable perspective when practicing with his new team by having seen how another (Blue blood D-I) team runs an offense and practices/trains.