Originally published September 13, 2011 at 12:32a.m., updated September 13, 2011 at 11:04a.m.

KU football player Bradley McDougald booked into jail

Kansas University safety Bradley McDougald was booked into the Douglas County Jail on Friday afternoon on a warrant related to a Chase County traffic case, according to jail records.

McDougald, 20, a junior from Dublin, Ohio, who played in Saturday’s win over Northern Illinois, posted $1,000 cash bond shortly after he was booked Friday, was released and was given notice to appear in court Oct. 28. Chase County District Court officials said Tuesday morning McDougald was accused of speeding and driving on a suspended license on July 1 there.

“We’re aware of it. It’s been handled,” Associate Athletic Director Jim Marchiony said. “We’re handling it internally.”

McDougald earlier this year also paid $253 in Lawrence Municipal Court costs and fines for a citation for disturbing the peace at his apartment last April.

Comments

Andy Hess 3 years, 2 months ago

Jeezus, come on! Handle your business! A traffic case should not land you in jail.

texashawk10 3 years, 2 months ago

Looks like Lubbock Smith is going to play against GT this week.

Jonathan Briles 3 years, 2 months ago

Which honestly might be a good thing. He is not the most athletic safety we have, but he may be our best run stopper. He is always a sure tackler and will not shy away from anyone.

gardenjay 3 years, 2 months ago

Way to brand these young people for life. Doesn't it seem like the representatives of our laws treat dogs better than people? I'm sure using a sledgehammer will get the message through.

fu7il3 3 years, 2 months ago

I have no idea what you are babbling on about. All he had to do was go pay his ticket or show up in court. He was arrested because he didn't show up, not because of the actual traffic stuff. This will hardly brand him for life.

jhawkrulz 3 years, 2 months ago

Not saying that I have ever been cited for speeding, but let's just assume I have.

I think I mailed a check with an envelope saying..."no contest" and was done with it.

I do see some difficulties getting a stamp, but other than that it was fairly easy.

jartiv 3 years, 2 months ago

Now we don't have to have that awkward conversation telling him he wasn't going to start this week - good chance for someone to step up on D... we definitely need it.

Kman_blue 3 years, 2 months ago

I-35 runs through Chase County. I imagine he got pulled over on the turnpike on his way to Wichita with someone.

johnnyhrdwd 3 years, 2 months ago

Do they really need to book our athletes into jail for unpaid traffic tickets.

easyliving 3 years, 2 months ago

What would happen to any other citizen if they failed to appear and/or not pay a traffic ticket? (warrant and jail)

Its called "Responsibility" some are slower to learn than others.

TaCityHawkFan 3 years, 2 months ago

They have to realize that they are visible figures that should also be responsible for their actions. They need to start acting as role models and good ambassadors for the University of Kansas. This type of stuff has been occurring way to frequently in the past year, imo.

Ted Toulouse 3 years, 2 months ago

Wait, if he was in jail on Friday, WHY did he play on Saturday? Doesn't sound like the "Gill Way" that was preached upon arrival.

jhox 3 years, 2 months ago

It's likely an unpaid traffic ticket. I'm not defending his stupidity for not paying the fine, but to bench him over a traffic ticket would be going a little over board, don't you think?

Let the courts do the punishing in this case. He'll learn his lesson once he's paid all of the legal fees he's incurring.

tychi_jayhawk 3 years, 2 months ago

I agree. This happens ALL the time. No big deal. Just pay your tickets and this won't happen.

greenworld 3 years, 2 months ago

A traffic citation isnt much, its not like he got in a fight or killed somebody. I think playing him the next day should be fine. Im sure Gill will have some extra running or something special for him. Lets not play the card here. please.

tical523 3 years, 2 months ago

? ? ? ? ? ? WHAT? ? ? ? ? So if someone got caught shoplifting you can say "he did not kill anybody???? Also what CARD are you referring to? Your comment makes no sense other than an example of what is wrong with and will be the downfall of our society. . . . no responsibility for ones own actions and then pointing fingers when consequences occur. The name greenworld is very fitting I guess. WOW. . . . Hell in a handbasket

KGphoto 3 years, 2 months ago

He's walking a fine line though. Sands' roomy better get his head straight.

vd 3 years, 2 months ago

It's not about your friends breaking into a hotel to get campaign info on your opponent. It is about trying to cover it up. It's not about having sex with that woman. It is about committing a felony by lying about it under oath. It's not about the traffic ticket. It is about not showing up in court and/or paying the fine.

jhawkrulz 3 years, 2 months ago

I'm just impressed that it took the LJW only 4 days to figure out that a guy on Friday night was in jail. And it is interesting that they did a special add just to announce something that happened last Friday/Saturday.

I'll give them credit, they have been doing an excellent job on the realignment thing.

And to tell you the truth this one doesn't bug me that much.

dtownhawkfan 3 years, 2 months ago

What we really need is a booster up in that area to give him some money to pay this ticket. Gotta take care of the kids.

JBurtin 3 years, 2 months ago

I had to go to court today over a minor traffic violation that I forgot about and didn't get handled in time. Surprisingly nobody printed anything in the paper about it and nobody is giving me the third degree. Kinda glad I don't play football right now or I'd be in serious trouble.

He's a kid, it's a speeding ticket, move on.

jartiv 3 years, 2 months ago

That must be because you didn't give up 42 points to NIU last Saturday

Dirk Medema 3 years, 2 months ago

Glad I'm not the only one - sort of. Fortunately, I read this at breakfast, and remembered that I needed to take care of buisness today. Mighty thoughtful of Bradley, tho I would appreciate it if the LJW could be a bit more timely with their stories so I wouldn't have to run over at the last minute.

Kevin Studer 3 years, 2 months ago

Cited for speeding, supended license, and previously cited for disturbing the peace. Why are some of you defending him? Most of us manage to make it through college without this kind of pathetic legal record. But you think it's OK because he plays football?!

gardenjay 3 years, 2 months ago

Throwing him in jail is going to help? I mean, except for private prison shareholders.

siltom 3 years, 2 months ago

No one said it is okay because he plays football. Almost every single person who has ever driven a car gets a ticket. He forgot to send it in or whatever. He has taken care of it. Disturbing the paece...it was a party. Duh, they are in college. If you went to college and never went to a party, you need to get a life. These young men are human and they make mistakes. People need to stop being so judgemental.

Kevin Studer 3 years, 2 months ago

OH, so because I never was cited for disturbing the peace in college, or wasn't arrested for speeding on a suspended license, I didn't have a life...classy! He's 20. If he isn't old enough to stay out of trouble with the police, he shouldn't be going to college for free. I went to plenty of parties without being fined. This "kid" is old enough how to figure out how to do that as well.

hawkshot 3 years, 2 months ago

I live in Chase County. I can understand why you would want to get out of here as fast as you can.