Originally published June 7, 2011 at 04:33p.m., updated June 8, 2011 at 12:00a.m.

Wait, what? DeAndre Daniels picks UConn

Huskies make late push for prize recruit, who spurns KU

DeAndre Daniels, the No. 10-ranked player according to Rivals.com in the class of 2011.

Prize college basketball recruiting prospect DeAndre Daniels, who for the longest time had listed Kansas University, Texas and Oregon as his three finalists, has decided to play college basketball at ... Connecticut.

Daniels, a 6-foot-8 senior forward from IMG Academy in Bradenton, Fla., committed to the defending national champion Huskies late Tuesday afternoon.

The commitment of Rivals.com’s No. 10-rated player in the Class of 2011 was reported on the IMG Academy Website.

“DeAndre has taken full advantage of everything that IMG has to offer and has continued to develop on the court, in the classroom and in the weight room,” IMG director of basketball Andy Borman said in a release. “He is an extremely talented young man, but what sets him apart from other talented kids his age is the fact that he is extremely driven and focused on becoming the best player possible. He is an immediate impact player at the next level.”

Daniels, who did not make a recruiting visit to UConn, told ESPN: “Until now it’s been all speculation. It’s over and I’m going to UConn.”

Daniels is expected to be a one-and-done college player. His initial interest in UConn was reported by Zagsblog.com just five days ago.

KU, which still has three scholarships to give in recruiting, has an incoming class of guards Ben McLemore and Naadir Tharpe, and forwards Jamari Traylor and Braeden Anderson.

Comments

gardenjay 2 years, 10 months ago

It's hard for me to get attached to one-and-dones. I like the student athletes like Danny Manning, getting a degree before going pro. More like one of the gang.

Tom Gillaspie 2 years, 10 months ago

It's over - enough said. Let's get on with what matters.

Kenny Nall 2 years, 10 months ago

Henry and Selby have opened my eyes a bit to over-hyped high school basketball players.

matlockhawk 2 years, 10 months ago

I am more excited about Traylor than I would have been about Daniels. He sounds like he has more charcter and a better work ethic. He will give depth to the team and not just use KU as a one year resting place while he waits for next years draft. We don't need anymore of those.

Scott Smetana 2 years, 10 months ago

Best of luck to DD. I think with Releford and BMac we're fine on the wing anyways. I'm seriously worried about our bigs next year. I hope Traylor is ready for some major minutes! We seriously need a Jeff Graves type to gobble up the rebounds. Can we get some transfers from OSU?

quill_46 2 years, 10 months ago

hell i saw him play he isnt that good,he would not have gotten much playing time anyway. Its all about him and we need team players and not just about me players.

AZHawk72 2 years, 10 months ago

The words that will stick with me from the IMG release: "DeAndre has taken full advantage of everything IMG has to offer"--add the recruiting process, the University of Connecticut, the OAD process, and anyone or anything else that pops up along the way. He could have easily added some needed points from the wing, or he just as easily could have "blown up the lab" on team chemistry.

I, too, like Oakville, want to see us attack the 2012 group both early and hard. However, everything I read has Shabazz leaning to UCLA and Arizona. There is a Texas guard (combo) who is a heavy lean for us--sorry, his name escapes me--it's an "age thing" which is the exact opposite of the one that plagues DeAndre.

lhohman3 2 years, 10 months ago

DeAndre. My heart is your piñata.

Tony Bandle 2 years, 10 months ago

Help me here.....currrently, I think we have 11 scholarship players. With Conner, Tyshawn and most likely TRob leaving next year that puts the number to 8.

Chalk 1 up for Zack, that leaves 4 schollies. Perry Ellis, Shabazz Mohammed, Caleb Tarczewski and Nino Jackson...not a bad recruiting class!!

matlockhawk 2 years, 10 months ago

IS THAT YOUR FINAL ANSWER!?! WHAT? No other bidders have stepped in at the last minute with a better offer? KU, Texas, and maybe Oregon with legitimate scholarship offers. That wasn't enough. Maybe if I waffle a bit someone will show up with an under the table offer. WOW! Duke, I never suspected. UConn, well no surprise there. Maybe the next NCAA scandal. If Ohio State got away with no sanctions, Why not UConn? Hmmmm.......................

motorboatinsomnia 2 years, 10 months ago

Reminds me of OSU quarterback, Terrelle Pryor. He also held up six different schools and scholarships by not signing his LOI on time & decided to wait. Flashfoward to today, where Terrelle just dropped a nuclear bomb on the OSU football programs on his way out the door. DD is probably going to have multiple problems during his college career and later on. He seems to have all the makings of a highly selfish person. aka. Josh "can you loan me 200 dollars?" Selby. Best of luck though. With all of the speculation and reports on DD over the past weeks, it'll be interesting to see how good he is.

im4indiana 2 years, 10 months ago

One and done, another Josh Selby. 'nuf said...

rob4lb 2 years, 10 months ago

I can't believe we have gotten to the point where we are holding our breath waiting for a decision from an 18 year old and get upset when he does not pick us. I honestly do not believe this is a bad thing. KU has adequate depth coming back and some of the players who have spent time in the program like a Releford learning the system will get a chance to play.

How many freshmen in the last few years have made a significant contribution to the team? I would say you have to go back to the Chalmers, Rush and Wright freshman year. Selby was not a game changer last year and Henry, though a starter most of the time, was not a difference maker.

The Big 12 appears to be pretty weak next year. There is no reason to believe KU can't win it. If the chemistry develops they could have a successful tournament run.

johninkc1 2 years, 10 months ago

Let's get this straight. Rather than come to KU and play with friends, he goes to UCONN. Nice! Hope it works out for him. As far as Selby goes, I lost respect for him when he didn't show for the team banquet. It is an honor to wear a KU jersey and he didn't do much at KU other than the USC game. He should have come back and helped our team and been a lottery pick next year. Any NBA team or coach that thinks he's ready didn't watch what he did this year. Why sugar coat it, he didn't even have the "guts" to tell Self what he was doing, mama did.

Ozarkace68 2 years, 10 months ago

I really didn't think there was a need for a budding narcissistic one and doner on the 2011-12 team. They seem solid and if the leadership emerges and Coach Self and his superior staff does their usual great job of leading and coaching it will satisfy me just fine. There is some real talent in the remaining group and in the incoming freshmen.

The class of 2012 looks quite promising as well. I am always amazed at the comments that imply the Jayhawks should win the NCAA Championship every year and not doing so is a disgrace of some tiype. Get a life. Stay the course and continue to build on the tradition.

To those who think KU Basketball tradition started with the 2008 National Championship, get a book and get a life.

Rock Chalk

Kevin Huffman 2 years, 10 months ago

Somebody earlier made the comment....only most championships over the last 15 years.....problem being they've had 2 or 3 bad waves of NIT seasons as well.......a little inconsistent. While I've always HATED Syracuse, they're probably more consistent within the same conference.

ahpersecoachingexperience 2 years, 10 months ago

McDonalds worker: Sir, I'm going to ask you one more time! Do or do you not want me to supersize your order!!!

Scott Oswalt 2 years, 10 months ago

One & done's are ruining the college game. I'd rather have Releford play a lot more next year and throw down some of those sick windmill dunks!

Chicago_JHawk 2 years, 10 months ago

Why all the hate? How was this kid a "headcase"? He waited until he was ready to make announce a decision and did so. He didn't engage anyone in the media with a will he or won't he saga.

He didn't announce, then later change his mind. He didn't hold a press conference. he did it the right way, as far as I can tell. If he'd picked KU, everyone on this site would be lining up to welcome him.

I love Kansas, but I'm not particularly enamored with Kansas fans.

Sam Constance 2 years, 10 months ago

The funniest part about all of this?

The Worldwide Leader doesn't even give a crap. Not one mention of Daniels "commitment" on the ESPN college basketball home page:

Not a good sign when we're at a point of the year when real, juicy college basketball news is hard to come by. One would think that a top 10 recruit choosing a school would get some pub, right? I mean, UConn is practically in ESPN's backyard...

Apparently ESPN is as done with Deandre's dragging out of the process as most people. Or they just aren't sure that he's actually decided. Or they are in disbelief that a kid would commit to somewhere he neither visited nor met the coach.

Again, fishy. I'd be shocked if the NCAA wasn't doing a little looking into the situation, given the strangeness of his choice and the fact that it coincides with UConn being under scrutiny for various NCAA violations.

Vincent Patterson 2 years, 10 months ago

I watched several videos of this guy and wasn't all that impressed. We need more from a 6'9" player than just jacking up threes. He probably was more of a 3 than a 4 and we have that locked down with Travis and McLemore. We're fine. I'm tired of 1 and dones anyways.

Ralster Jayhawk 2 years, 10 months ago

I liked LJW's attempt to stir the pot with the sub-heading: "...spurns KU...". Well, gee golly! Or should I say B. F. D. How about the rest of the context of that sentence: "...and spurns Tx, Oregon, etc..."?

Lets put it this way: I will be open to the concept of a true OAD coming and really helping, but lets not take any primadonnas.

It would be too tempting for the occasional "snipers" on this board to say we KU fans are just 'sour grapes' regarding Deandre...In response to that sentiment, seriously for a minute look at his commit/de-commit/blow deadline after deadline of his own choosings & in the end make an under-radar choice. He can do what he wants, but honestly, doesnt that entire saga raise some kind of flag? What could that potentially do to team chemistry? Secondly, if he did pick KU--all we would have said is "yippee" and welcomed him as usual, but under bated breath, waited to see what another OAD-type could do for us once he actually faces Div1 competition? KU nation could be a bit jaded by recent OAD experiences (although I will always give Selby a pass).

Regarding "team" chemistry, I wish to show some love/respect to Taylor/EJ/Releford right about now: they do not exist to simply feed some OAD with a firehose amount of assists (like we did Xaveeyay...)-- just to bloat his numbers to 15ppg, so he can indeed leave after 1yr. That's all KU's Selfball system is boiled down to now??? I think not. I really think Sherron+Tyshawn chaffed at the whole notion of having to serve Xaveeyay. They could have done it all themselves with Little+Releford's help (ZERO doubt in my mind--stronger team). Our roster guys have spent the time. Some like EJ are highly touted recruits themselves (waving his KU tshirt as a highschooler in front of a KY crowd!), but buy-in to getting better and its time to see them shine. I'll pick our system guys over some smoke&mirrors OAD anyday. Always felt Self's system operates best with 11thru50ish rated talent...

Im picking our current guys to shine, baby!

jdhawk1988 2 years, 10 months ago

This is Hillarious.... the Kid with the longest recruiting process chooses to attend a school and join a team of which he has visited neither. Does anyone else have a feeling he wont be on the team in January??? I think he'll adverage 9, 4, and 1 and leave school do to unhappiness.

But best of luck to him

biggunz 2 years, 10 months ago

It would have maybe been nice to get him but he clearly didn't want to come here. He doesn't seem concerned with anything more than getting to the league as quickly as possible. We'll be fine without him because the coaching staff knows how to put together good teams with players that love playing for the University of Kansas.

jayhawktalk 2 years, 10 months ago

If nothing else, Calimari is as dirty and they come, but teflon and brilliant when it comes to plausible deniability. Duke ultimately took a pass...

Duke moving on may not spell trouble, but Calimari passing on a top 10 recruit... It's unfathomable. My dad would eat anything when I was growing up, even things a sane, rational person wouldn't touch; he was a "what doesn't kill you makes you stronger" advocate when it came to food. There are times when you see an indiscriminate person pass on something, you don't even need to go near it to know it's rotten.

Next year is going to be exciting. I can't wait!

Tony Bandle 2 years, 10 months ago

DD's skillset would have been a fine addition to our team, however, we have some decent depth at the wing with Releford, McClemore and even Wesley.

Guards are strong with Taylor, Johnson, Naadir, Teahan, Garret and Roberts

It's down under where we could be hurting. 1] The only sure thing is TRob and his tendency to get into foul trouble is a concern. Also, he must improve his foul shooting. Because of his style of play, he will get "Hack a Shaq" a bunch next season. 2] Jeff Withey is still an unknown. At 7'-0" with a soft shot, he has the potential to be a force. {can we dream Dirk Nowitzke?},. However strength and stamina are big concerns. 3] Braedon Anderson is a freshman with great potential, however potential means impact in 2012. Still, that's five fouls to give to the team. 4] Jamari Traylor, ditto to #3

I see this area as a huge concern since Bill's offense goes through the "Bigs". Unless there are some late decommits, and of course HCBS has done well here, I am not nearly as giddy about this team as some of you are.

We will win at least 24 or so, compete for the Big 12 and make the NCAA's but I think we will be in the unusual postion as a dark horse come tournament time. based on recent history, maybe that's not such a bad thing.

Minimum- 20 to 24 wins, compete for the Big 12, make the NCAA, lose - 2nd round. Maximum- 25 to 30 wins, win Big 12, make it to the NCAA Sweet Sixteen.

Still Rock Chalk all the way!!!!!!

Danny Reece 2 years, 10 months ago

This guy is a Head Case..Better off without him........

Benjamin Piehler 2 years, 10 months ago

considering our recent track record with one and dones, its hard to mourn the loss of this one.

dmg97102 2 years, 10 months ago

Deandre isn't committed to anyone at this point. He says he's going to UCONN, but that's assumming Calhoun stays. He only has a financial aid agreement, which isn't binding the player to the school until he enrolls. This is actually pretty smart on his part, because it still gives him options. If Calhoun leaves, he leaves. If Calhoun stays, Daniels stays. I'm not saying this because I'm hoping KU still has an outside shot of getting him (I really don't want him anymore, because I think Releford is going to shine this year). I'm just saying this may not be over yet, because there's still speculation Calhoun is leaving.

On another note...Has Woolridge transferred yet? We could use a shooter. I think he thought we might bring in alot of recruits and playing time would be an issue, but I think he'd play a little bit if he stuck with us. I just don't remember there being any official word on where he's going. Self should try to convince him to stick with the program, and in 2 years, he'd be a Brady/Reed type of player.

El Jay 2 years, 10 months ago

and by the way, Id be willing to bet serious money that this kid is nothing special next year anyhow. Honestly, he's probably gotten more pub in the last month than he'll get all next season. Maybe thats why he dragged it out, he knows he's been over-hyped

El Jay 2 years, 10 months ago

I was going to post this today regardless, but its really timely now. I was watching ESPN last night and Mark May was talking about the Terrelle Pryor situation and he mentioned that when Pryor was a recruit, May was sour on him because he did the exact same thing in his recruiting process as DD has done (holding up six other scholarships past the signing deadline). May felt he would be a problem and a primadonna based on the way he handled his recruiting and look how that turned out. Who knows what the future will hold, but you gotta have the exact same concerns about DD and its probably better that he didnt come here anyway - we've had enough bad press the last couple of years. And look where he ended up - at a program that just got caught cheating. Cant wait to see how this one goes...

William Blake 2 years, 10 months ago

Amazing how winning a national championship (or two, or three) helps gloss over a dark past:

In today's world an "elite program" is defined by how little punishment the program receives for violating NCAA rules. Calhoun received a 3-game suspension... so I'd say UCONN is elite, regardless of the pile of NC trophies....

yates33333 2 years, 10 months ago

I think the comment that UConn offered a better financial package is right on. He will probably have to take a cut in pay if he decides to go pro next year.

yates33333 2 years, 10 months ago

Michael Pannacciulli 2 years, 10 months ago

Uh oh, we have an intruder. Haha. Thanks for the other perspective and rushing to the defense as any die hard should.

DeAndre saga over for KU, may just be starting for UCONN, or he may be their missing piece to solidifying another title. Not my concern anymore.

Question - what type of year will EJ have? What will his minutes look like? He showed some glimpses last year of a hard-nosed gamer...

IrishDaddy 2 years, 10 months ago

WHAT A ku MELT DOWN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kid smarter than most give credit for, wants to go with a CHAMPION !

jayhawkinATL 2 years, 10 months ago

Totally understandable...Calhoun and UConn put together a financial package that DD and his family just couldn't refuse.

duanep5ku 2 years, 10 months ago

Oh,well Deandre decision, it is what it is, and to be perfectly honest with all the posters on here, I'm glad he chose to go to another team. I know call me crazy but I still prefer the less drama type of players who loves Kansas basketball as much as I do and the players who come here because they want to be here over some of the drama queens of today.

Deandre to Kansas was not going to be a good fit for either party involved. I mean if Deandre is another one and done he probably will be more of a star at Uconn and if he wanted to be here, I think he had plenty of time to make that decision already. I also think KU will be better off in the long run without him, maybe not next year but then again that all depends on how well some of our returning players perform on the court.

Bill Self is a system first type of coach, so hopefully a returning three year player returning to KU will be be better then another one and done.

The positives about DD decision for Kansas fans on here to be thankful for he's not helping any other big 12 team next year. Texas lost a ton,they definitly needed him. If he went to OSU they would have had Lebryan Nash and Deandre,could have been a tough combination to face.

So The good news no Deandre helping any team in our conference. Oh, to the posters on here that mentioned that some current players on the team are probably not to upset either about the decision, great call.

mfk24 2 years, 10 months ago

GREAT site! You guys are really into and that's what makes it fun, but as a UCONN alum and fan (I got to your site through a google alert on DD) you guys are bit off base on Calhoun and calling him a cheater. He's been coaching for almost 40 years and outside of a former Grad Asst who turned agent and did some things with a recruit WHO NEVER PLAYED FOR UCONN your "dirty program" comments are a bit off.

We had the same thing happen to us last year with Kentucky and their point guard who bailed on us and went with Coach Cal... but what can you do...these kids are 17-18 and sometimes the last person they talk to makes the most sense in their eyes and that's it, regardless of how long they have been recruiting or not.

Lastly, to kind of spur your memory, it was not that long ago that you scored Danny Manning and his Dad magically becomes an Asst Coach???? Did you guys not get a one year ban for dirty stuff several years ago? Didn't KU just lose a scholarship last year because of "lack of control" over the program???? Be careful about throwing stones when, from the outside, your house is not squeaky clean.

Good luck in 2011-12!

Steve Yeakel 2 years, 10 months ago

KU is good at team first basketball, and has not done well trying to blend in the self centered Lebron look at me one and done guys. I think we are better off getting team guys signed in the fall, not having to go through the annual circus of late signings. Maybe hold open one spot for that, but no more.

oldalum 2 years, 10 months ago

Julian Wright committed to KU without visiting, so this isn't a first. Maybe he was wanting to go to UConn all along and was just waiting for them to ask. I agree with you about Calhoun's status, and had considered that the biggest mark against UConn when I read that they were trying to get into the recruiting late.

KEITHMILES05 2 years, 10 months ago

How can a kid who pick a school without ever visiting? Seriously, this is just plain crazy. He didn't even know Calhoun on top if it and very likely Calhoun may retire very soon.

Benjamin Piehler 2 years, 10 months ago

hard to say why he chose uconn... I guess I'll assume it was because he wants to ride the post-title popularity train.

anyway, I wouldnt be worried about next year. It seems self's teams perform better when they are an afterthought, like in 09'... now if only we could get it together and win the games we are supposed to....

Sam Constance 2 years, 10 months ago

Hard not to wonder what kind of winks and nudges Daniels got from the shady staff at UConn. Let's see...

In the last 12 months, UConn has 1) been slapped by the NCAA for a poor academic progress rating, and 2) been slapped by the NCAA for giving improper benefits to a recruit a few years ago.

Combine those two facts with a decision that came from nowhere--the first I heard of the Huskies being in the race at all was earlier this week, and I believe the quote was "UConn is trying to get into the mix" (possibly paraphrasing). Side note: how, exactly, does a school that hasn't been "in the mix" or listed as a potential option for a given recruit get into the mix?

"Hey Deandre! I know we haven't really been in the picture trying to recruit you, but late is better than never, right?"

I personally think this whole thing reeks of something fishy going on. Not because it's inconceivable for a recruit to choose UConn over Kansas (happens all the time, actually), but because the circumstances around this one are just too strange.

Honestly, I'm disappointed that we won't have Deandre's skills next year. I wasn't convinced he was the type of guy who was going to step on the court and make a difference, but he does have a skill set/size combo that isn't quite like anyone else we have on the roster. That being said, the way this went down makes me at least wonder if KU isn't better off without him in the long run. Or said another way, if whatever school that got Daniels was going to need to up the ante, so to speak, to get him, then I'd prefer KU just pass on by.

KU will still be very good next year.

UConn will still be very corrupt next year. Their basketball team might also be decent. Maybe someone should tell the fans.

KUsmoothies 2 years, 10 months ago

I figured USC or Ohio St. but UConn didn't really shock me either. This dude isn't KU bball and glad he didn't take minutes from guys like Releford.

KU_Alumn_2000 2 years, 10 months ago

I disagree with most of the posters in here. We really needed to get DeAndre.

Self is used to playing with a deep squad of post players...in which this will not be the case this season.

I love Travis Releford...but he is not a 4...he is a 3.

No doubt that we will be extremely fast and athletic next season...but we will struggle to rebound and play post defense...which is gonna hurt us. Playing Roy Williams / Mike Anderson ball may fit this team better than Self ball.

Ray March 2 years, 10 months ago

UConn isn't a basketball school like KANSAS is a basketball school.

These stupid little kid recruits only know what happened in the last 12 months though.

VERY dumb decision. Whatev though....enjoy playing for a tool of a coach.

squawkhawk 2 years, 10 months ago

Self is done...he can't recruit. The end is near.

REHawk 2 years, 10 months ago

What the Jayhawk fanbase always reveres, and the Kansas coaching staff seems to pursue and develop to optimum potential, is the player who cherishes the opportunity to be a Jayhawk basketball player, even though few promises are made about playing minutes. I think that Bill Self and assistants are brutally upfront with recruits. In recent years team depth is so stacked at Kansas that even the best of five star recruits are told that they must earn minutes by mastering basic skills pronto...esp., as Naadir Tharpe so boldly stated, if they face up and keep ahead of their opponent on the defensive end of the court. Otherwise, expect a spot on the sidelines until defensive fundamentals are mastered. DeAndre appeared to be shopping for optimum promises, just as did Doron Lamb a year ago. If hoops in Div. I works out as well for Daniels as it did for Lamb, more power to him for shopping what might appear to be his best deal. I envision Releford and McLemore doing a super job of filling the 3 position. Teahan occasionally coming in to hit some threes or provide relief if one of those two is injured. Gotta hope that, by fall, we have access to support for TRob and Withey at the 4 and 5. In my mind, those two positions are in much more need for backup than the 3.

HawkfromHays 2 years, 10 months ago

Whatever. No more Kemba, Calhoun gone soon- this will turn out to be a poor decision for him. He will be the best player on a mediocre team and then leave after one year. Oh well.

Jayhawklegacy 2 years, 10 months ago

There was a time during this recruiting process I would say losing Daniels stings!! Now I have kind of lost interest in him, with all of this mess in deciding schools!! I'm happy we have Mclemore and happy we have Traylor and all the other recruits. It will be interesting this coming season I think we will see CS in true form. He coaches better when we are the underdogs and our players play better!! Just look at recent years we play down to our competition!! Not this coming season, I'm super interested and excited for next season for that reason.

Jack Wilson 2 years, 10 months ago

Didn't read all the comments yet .. but all I can say is .. the door is open for Releford. This is his year to breakout. Can't wait.

Carolyn Troupe 2 years, 10 months ago

Personally, I'm pleased about our group next year. I get upset when people who have played hard and have talent, get shunted aside for the sake of OADs, like Releford has been. I hope he gets a major shot this time. We have a lot of guys who have the heart and talent to perform well. They just need the stage and the challenge.

siukufan1 2 years, 10 months ago

Personally, I like the fact he is going to UCONN. He has proven he isn't out for the team or he would have committed to any school early to help facilitate those teams. We have an incoming class full of 3-4 year guys who you build championship caliber teams around. Next years class will be the best in the last 5-6 years!!

davehawkSWK 2 years, 10 months ago

There are many other factors to consider besides a decision of an 18 y.o. We know what we have in the cupboard; other schools likewise know what KU has to offer and realize that KU does not leave a bench empty. I have been a J-HAWK fan for over 50 years and have seen many players come and go and have seen great teams and some that, in some peoples' eyes, were not so great. That being said, when did Hawk Nation get so many player analysts that there is an argument concerning the decision of a school for upcoming student-athletes? Give the coaches a break and a chance to bring in athletes that will fit in with the existing cadre of players. There is obviously a reason that DD did not wish to get into the fold, albeit his choice considering playing time or the coaches not pursuing him as a not true fit into the cog. Love the 'Hawks and know that we will be fine this upcoming year. Look forward to another exciting year of KU sports. RCJH from SWK!!!

jhawkrulz 2 years, 10 months ago

It is weird on this recruitment. Clearly started with UT, than opened it up, was very interested in KU and a few other schools. Than there was hints that he wanted to be closer to home, so SDSU came up. All of a sudden there was talk the UConn would get in the mix and poof he is there.

I'm not convinced that will be the best spot for him, but it is hard to guess where the best school is.

I think ultimately our team is solid and looking at the Big XII, we won it by one game this year over UT and than 4 games over the rest of the crowd. Personally, I think UT will take a half stuff back, they have good recruits, but not as good as who left. You might be able to say that about our team, but we were playing nine deep late into the year, I think we will step up.

We win the Big XII by 2 games this year.

Just as a note every ESPN analyst should pick them as the winner as well, just to make up for their pick last year.

Baylor is the only team I think of that has drastically improved over last year, but they have a long way to go.

jhwkfan162515 2 years, 10 months ago

I don't think the 2011-12 KU team is going to be national title material. With so much talent from last season's team gone and so much youth, I think we're going to see an up-and-down year.

But to those of you still smarting from the VCU loss, I say this: Soon, we will be national champions again. Consider UConn. They suffered a humiliating loss to a CAA team in the 2006 Elite Eight - George Mason - and five years later, they won the 2011 NCAA title. We will someday soon reclaim the NCAA throne. It probably won't be this coming season, but we will win another title, and Bill Self will be cutting down the nets again.

jcourt 2 years, 10 months ago

What a Hor, U Conn knows how to hide the money. Thats all these guys who sign late are waiting for.

Viggo3003 2 years, 10 months ago

Nothing to see here, move along now.

theend 2 years, 10 months ago

Well....we can't get everybody we want.......but we may just get everybody we need.

Robert Robinson 2 years, 10 months ago

Don't get too upset people. Summers not over

ajhk 2 years, 10 months ago

Too bad. This kid could have turned out to be as good as Micah Downs.
Gee, wonder what kind of car his dad will soon be driving? I hope we save the scholie for next year and land a huge class

Mark Lindrud 2 years, 10 months ago

I stopped caring a few weeks ago. We have a good rotation for next year if you ask me. We will depend on a lot of young guys, but nothing wrong with a rebuilding year. We have experience with TRob, TT, EJ and Travis who have played significant minutes. Withey is now an upper classman so I hope he is healthy, stronger and ready to produce.

With the young guys: Mac, Tharpe, Braeden and Traylor we have guys that will need to learn quick, but we will be fine and it will be a fun year no matter what happens. RCJHKU!

Ralster Jayhawk 2 years, 10 months ago

SoCalAlum, Thanks for the update that DD is now 200lbs...Much, much better for him, regarding survivability in Div1. We shall see how he does @UConn...

Jim Pendleton 2 years, 10 months ago

Lbranch has actually nailed this, because technically this isn't over.

I agree he will likely never come here. However, he can't sign a letter of intent as that deadline is long gone. He will have to sign a financial grant aid when he gets to campus. But until that happens, this could change again. I also agree there is a chance Calhoun might not be there next year, which might be a factor as well.

Until such time as DD actually is enrolled in classes at UConn't, he could change his mind again at any time. Let's just hope if he does, he doesn't wind up at Texas. Agree with everyone, we will be fine. Rock Chalk!!

Ralster Jayhawk 2 years, 10 months ago

Glad this saga is over. Agree that the spotlight now goes to Releford (with BMax his 15-20mpg backup, which is p-l-e-n-t-y).

Realize part of the reason DD spent a year at IMG is hinted at in the quote from his coach "...weightroom..."--I saw listed that he is 6'8", 180 lbs. Buck-eighty. Thats 20lbs lighter than Russell Robinson was. Thats 30 lbs lighter than Releford. And thats 20 lbs lighter than 6'8 Justin Wesley. Frosh Marcus was 6'8 and 220 lbs...anyway, everyone gets my point, Im sure...(which is I have my doubts about his health +/- overall effectiveness vs Div1 competition).

This will be a fun year because you see again Self achieve "more" with what is perceived as a lesser squad. But no "lesser" than a-n-y-t-h-i-n-g Self ever had at Tulsa, Illinois, or his first year at KU. The mental game? All these guys and coach needed was to 'feel' that no one expects this squad to make the Final4...Im not expecting a 35-3 season, but we will be better than people think, much to the continued chagrin of guys named Barnes, Haith, Drew, Kruger, Gillispie, Kennedy, Hoiberg, and Ford...

newyorkjayhawk 2 years, 10 months ago

i haven't posted in a while... frankly haven't felt the need to... but i think some posters on here are getting a little out of touch with reality... aren't we talking about a kid? he's not a pro (yet), Kansas did nothing but offer him a scholarship so he owed nothing but consideration of said offer, he didn't grow up being rabidly attached to ANY school like we are unconditionally in love with KU... just leave the kid alone.

On the one hand in his favor, njjayhawk makes some good points, Calhoun has once again made UConn look attractive to someone who wants to showcase their talent. Be it warranted or not, the Big East gets the most attention of any conference, UConn just won the National Championship and then lost their leader (and leading scorer) so it leaves room for a OAD to show his stuff...

On the other hand, it's possibly for the best! No offense to DD at all, but he may not have been what we needed. i dunno how excited we should be about anderson or traylor based on already-developed skill sets, but these young posts are working with danny manning, they're VERY athletic and they are REALLY excited to be jayhawks!!!! count mclemore and thaarpe into that same category as backcourt options and i think we very much succeeded in recruiting this year... we filled serious needs, without overshadowing where TRob and TTaylor should be rising up anyway... let those two returning vets do what they've been billed to do, let the young posts develop, give Withey a chance to earn some minutes, see if EJohnson can put up some numbers, and let's see if mclemore is worth a top 25 billing...

Our team is gonna be good out of the gates... not GREAT, just good... we have two VERY athletic returning guards who can combo between the 1 and 2 positions as they can both penetrate, play defense, handle the ball, pass, and shoot. Releford as some have said could break out anyday. TRob is GREAT as long as he stays out of foul trouble. Withey is the tallest guy in the conference and has a nice outside touch and don't forget he's added serious weight this offseason. McLemore could be exciting, Thaarpe could be a true point for backup, Anderson and Traylor have huge upside potential, we have a few other possible minute grabbers in there... i think we have a decent team with a chance under HCBS and Manning and the rest of the crew to really be impressive... remember 2008-2009!!!!!!!!! GO HAWKS!

SoCalAlum 2 years, 10 months ago

Now that DD's committed to UConn, it looks like he gained 20 lbs (in article above, DD at 200 lbs now).

SoCalAlum 2 years, 10 months ago

Been here before: Charlie Villanueva. Worked out for him. Good luck to DD. Minutes and points to Ben McLamore.

DRsmith 2 years, 10 months ago

I have said it all along. After the last couple of months of his recruitment, something just doesn't seem right. Duke and UK backed off of him and in the end it is a good thing he ended up elsewhere IMO.

jaybate 2 years, 10 months ago

Looked at UConn's returning team. Deandre gets to play first violin for UConn. So: DD apparently made his choice based on not wanting to play second fiddle to Tyshawn and TRob.

lee3022 2 years, 10 months ago

Ben is our home run and Naadir is our leader among recruits. In all we have a good solid class of athletes who will benefit greatly from a very strong coaching staff. I am also glad it is over and we can move on to development of next year's team. Five months from now I want to be celebrating a win over UK and a good start of the season.

jaybate 2 years, 10 months ago

Who will commit to KU now that DD has cleared the path?

gchawk 2 years, 10 months ago

If it didn't matter, I wouldn't be disappointed.This young man has a tremendous amount of potential, but I don't think a long term college career was ever in his plans. I like our upcoming team a great deal, and I think that this year's team will pleasantly surprise a lot of KU fans. Personally, I'm so sick and tired of the great OAD's, I'd much rather have a solid "team" than a few individual stars.

RCJayhawk 2 years, 10 months ago

Not going to bash an 18-year-old for not picking the team I root for and support. Too bad for us, but we'll be fine either way. UConn will need the help considering they may not have Calhoun next year anyway. I am a fan of picking up the Vandy kid if he's interested in KU. Any depth we can get in the frontcourt will be a positive. As long as he's a team player and not a distraction with helicopter parents/"family friend" agent issues, we can only benefit.

Janet Scott 2 years, 10 months ago

Hate to say it, but it's pretty simple: UConn has won 3 national titles under Calhoun; UConn plays in the Big East, which has a huge and rabid fan base and millions watching on TV on any given night when Big East bball is on the tube; and Calhoun did a magnificent coaching job with an average team plus a star player to gain the national title last year, after winning the very tough Big East tourney over 5 games. Such speaks loudly and convincingly to OAD players.

Ethan Berger 2 years, 10 months ago

I'm okay with this, he probably didn't want to play the post and knew if he came and played the 3, he wouldn't had gotten as many minutes. With Releford and BMAC, it would have been hard to get a lot of playing time. Next years class has to be a monster.

Hank Cross 2 years, 10 months ago

Thank goodness this nonsense is over. I'm glad that he didn't come to KU b/c he had problems written all over him. It's likely there's more to his period of indecision than meets the eye. I'm sure he wasn't pouring over course catalogues or trying to decide what fight song he liked best. There are probably some very good reasons UK and Duke walked away. Does anyone seriously think that Coach K couldn't get the admissions department to work double-time to get this kid admitted if Coach K really wanted it?

Dyrk Dugan 2 years, 10 months ago

well, that's a big blow....kudos to him for keeping it under wraps for so long......nobody had this beforehand.

we will not be as good next year without Daniels, unless one of our current guys really gets better. Releford could be it....but since he's never done it, then you can't say he will. he was starting to last year...and then the ankle.

of course, if McLemore is the real deal, and any of his issues that he had at Oak Hill are all taken care of, then he's another factor.

this is why i wish the twins would have stayed..and Selby. because next year is the year we can hit the HR in recruiting...this year, not so much. just a double.

if we win the Big 12 title next year, then Bill Self is the coach of the year, of all levels, in all sports. because we have been 68-6 the last two years, and we're losing almost everybody....and then to win it again...Coach Self would be all world.

David Hodges 2 years, 10 months ago

Makes me wonder if DD got a call from a certain head coach that went something like. Hey Deandre! Its time for us to move on and get ready for next season. I hope you have a great basketball career and life... just not a Kansas. Rock Chalk.

4jhawks4ku 2 years, 10 months ago

How are we ever gonna win the league without a superstar like Xavier or Josh. Oh my goodness. I bet Self got pounded and badmouthed on the recruiting trail by the other "big time coaches" this year. Anybody out there wanna earn their playing time anymore?, . We'll be fine this year in fact Im gonna rather enjoy it. Rock Chalk..

David Hodges 2 years, 10 months ago

UConn... I was done with this kid anyway but that was out of left field. I wish Daniels all the best. That being said, i understand wanting to make the best decision, its the constant mind changing and delays that made me write this kid off. I personally think he is waiting out the NBA lockout to see if he can just skip college all together. Why announce at this time anyway? He can't sign anything that binds him to the school. Has to enroll and attend a class at this point to be tied to the school. Why not just wait until a few weeks before school starts to make that choice. Lets see if he makes it to campus anytime soon. Good Luck Daniels. I hope you don't change your mind and end up at Kansas because at this point--good luck on your career. Rock Chalk!

hawkmarc 2 years, 10 months ago

Who cares. Anyone this indecisive may never get his shoes laced.

jc1306 2 years, 10 months ago

Good luck to him, at least now we know.

KJD 2 years, 10 months ago

Now that Andre Walker's name has come up, it is good that DeAndre has removed his himself from the mix instead of letting this linger into the fall. Walker could add some depth as an experienced player from a decent BCS basketball program. It couldn't hurt if he can mix in with KU's culture.

bradynsdad 2 years, 10 months ago

Kind of odd. I will assume Calhoun is returning. The door is open for releford to have a big year. Maybe he thinks he will be the second coming of kemba. Oh well, glad it's over now our guys can get focused on their roles and not concern themselves with who is or isn't committing. This year may not be amazing but I still think self is setting himself up nicely for the next two to three years to come.

Lance Hobson 2 years, 10 months ago

Look, we really never wanted a flake like this. He would have been nothing but trouble, just like he'll be at UCONN, which will soon be on probation anyway.

Troll_or_AntiTroll 2 years, 10 months ago

Good luck, DeAndre! We here at Kansas wish you nothing but the best! Even though it didn't work out, thanks for considering us!

kureignman 2 years, 10 months ago

Not going to lie, I wish we could have got him. But I'm glad he finally made his decision and I'm thankful that we won't have to deal with the will he or won't he stay more than one year. I wish him the best and have a feeling that we'll be alright next year.

Ray March 2 years, 10 months ago

i hate this kid.

Daniels: "I'm coming to Kansas". "Oh wait....maybe not. Let me think." "I'm going to Texas." "Oh wait....maybe not. Let me think." "I will decide Wednesday."

Wednesday passes...

"Oh wait....maybe not. I will decide tomorrow."

Thursday passes...

"Oh wait....maybe not. I'm not going to make any announcement Thursday." "Oh let me just go 3 weeks without saying anything."

3 weeks pass....

"I'm going to talk to Duke now. I like Duke." "Oh wait...maybe not. I don't like Duke. I'm leaning Kansas or Texas." "Oh wait...maybe not."

"OK, I'm going to UConn, which isn't even a basketball school and just got lucky and won last year's Championship because the good teams lost early."

"Yay!!! I'm an idiot!"

chewyman 2 years, 10 months ago

Releford is doing cart wheels as you are reading this. Good for T.R.

ahpersecoachingexperience 2 years, 10 months ago

any truth to the rumor that cam newtons father is also dd's?

this cal is starting to make the other cal look clean!

Jaminrawk 2 years, 10 months ago

Seriously, not disappointed. Just relieved we don't have to hear about him anymore.

dvo1990 2 years, 10 months ago

Why would he go to UCONN? Calhoun may not be there next year!

Bill Thompson 2 years, 10 months ago

blah blah blah, Josh Selby was supposed to be able to "attack the basket off the dribble, finish in traffic and knock down the three-point shot with consistency" and look what happened with him! I wrote this guy off a long time ago...

kkoenig 2 years, 10 months ago

DD didn't want KU. His dad didn't want UT. So what are you going to do. Go to UCon.

escaped_labrat 2 years, 10 months ago

Well duh, obviously he picked UCONN as if there was ever a doubt!

Jabez Harlan 2 years, 10 months ago

I saw the headline and cursed under my breath.

what a raw deal.