Originally published June 7, 2011 at 04:33p.m., updated June 8, 2011 at 12:00a.m.

Wait, what? DeAndre Daniels picks UConn

Huskies make late push for prize recruit, who spurns KU

DeAndre Daniels, the No. 10-ranked player according to Rivals.com in the class of 2011.

Prize college basketball recruiting prospect DeAndre Daniels, who for the longest time had listed Kansas University, Texas and Oregon as his three finalists, has decided to play college basketball at ... Connecticut.

Daniels, a 6-foot-8 senior forward from IMG Academy in Bradenton, Fla., committed to the defending national champion Huskies late Tuesday afternoon.

The commitment of Rivals.com’s No. 10-rated player in the Class of 2011 was reported on the IMG Academy Website.

“DeAndre has taken full advantage of everything that IMG has to offer and has continued to develop on the court, in the classroom and in the weight room,” IMG director of basketball Andy Borman said in a release. “He is an extremely talented young man, but what sets him apart from other talented kids his age is the fact that he is extremely driven and focused on becoming the best player possible. He is an immediate impact player at the next level.”

Daniels, who did not make a recruiting visit to UConn, told ESPN: “Until now it’s been all speculation. It’s over and I’m going to UConn.”

Daniels is expected to be a one-and-done college player. His initial interest in UConn was reported by Zagsblog.com just five days ago.

KU, which still has three scholarships to give in recruiting, has an incoming class of guards Ben McLemore and Naadir Tharpe, and forwards Jamari Traylor and Braeden Anderson.

Comments

Ryan Wilson 3 years, 11 months ago

I can already see how it will be in the locker room with DD... Coach Calhoun is like.. " Where the heck is DeAndre?"... "Uh Coach... He's still in the shower, there were three different shampoos in there and he's trying to make a decision..."

matlockhawk 3 years, 11 months ago

He won't be able to decide who to pass to either.............

baldwinjhawk 3 years, 11 months ago

No worries, he would have been more of a distraction than an inhancement.

Jabez Harlan 3 years, 11 months ago

I saw the headline and cursed under my breath.

what a raw deal.

Funhawk 3 years, 11 months ago

I saw the headline and my head jerked back with a throaty laugh.

Next basketball season will be fun with who we've got. More than the freshmen who committed, the upper classmen who will now get quality playing time are who excite me, like Travis. It is fun fun fun being a Jayhawk, wonderfully wacky and hilariously hip, like so far gone its outa sight!

escaped_labrat 3 years, 11 months ago

Well duh, obviously he picked UCONN as if there was ever a doubt!

hawk316 3 years, 11 months ago

UCONN??? Where did that come from???? Oh well, I still like our recruiting class.

kkoenig 3 years, 11 months ago

DD didn't want KU. His dad didn't want UT. So what are you going to do. Go to UCon.

nicka 3 years, 11 months ago

Yeah, look what happened with selby...gonna be a 1st round pick. You are the worst kind of fan. These players dont owe you anything. Get a life.

jayloco 3 years, 11 months ago

Nicka-what did Selby do at KU? Jack squat. What happened to this great player that Selby was supposed to be? What, is red supposed to deify Selby? Supposed to root for him just cause he went to KU? You are right the players don't owe us anything, but we don't owe them anything either. Just because Selby went to KU doesn't mean we have to root for him forever. Forget Selby, I could really care less if he ever comes back to KU. Does that make me the worst type of fan? Maybe in your mind, but if you don't live up to your potential in that KU uni, I got every right to hate on you. I could care less that he is going to be a 1st rounder. Selby should have got a life and perfomed up to his capabilities. That's my 2 cents...

delay 3 years, 11 months ago

it does make you are pretty bad fan.

nuleafjhawk 3 years, 11 months ago

Stating facts doesn't make you a bad fan. Selby sucked while at KU. He may go on to be the next Michael Jordan (hahahahahahahaha) but while here - big time suckage.

angelo12 3 years, 11 months ago

i'm not a jayhawk fan but you don't anything: i'm glad selby gone: but these players need to learn something more than a basketball: they are using the system: go to a private school so they can pass:

that's america: just like our president

Dan Pawlowski 3 years, 11 months ago

If you are going to criticize someones education you may want to brush up on your grammar.

murph 3 years, 11 months ago

Players DO owe us something - common courtesy - but that's not my biggest gripe with Josh Selby. Players definitely DO owe Bill Self and the coaching staff the courtesy to let them know where the players are (like wherever working out with an agent!) instead of them having to find out through the media. And they definitely owe the staff the simple manners of telling THEM for sure that they're leaving instead of, again, leaving it to the media. A spoiled teenager - which is definitely what Josh Selby is - is NOT, contrary to his own opinion - more "important" or more accomplished than Bill Self, Danny Manning, et al. It's not the fault of anyone at KU or who roots for KU that Josh had to "waste" a winter in Lawrence. He needs to get over himself.

Kevin Studer 3 years, 11 months ago

So, somebody who doesn't blindly love every KU player and say they were great = worst kind of fan with no life. Gotcha. Intellectual dishonesty is fun!

El Jay 3 years, 11 months ago

you are such a doosh! Are you kidding me? This guy is a bad fan because he recognizes that just because a guy's recruiting report says he is going to be the next MJ doesnt mean the guy is going to get you championships? Youre an idiot and that makes YOU a bad fan. Great, Selby got drafted and I hope he has a good career, but what did that do for KU? Nothing. Im happy for the guy and I will always root for him but if I had to go back in time and make a choice between getting Selby and getting a NC, ill take the NC every day of the week (obviously its not like that was ever a choice, just making a point). People who get on here and call into question another person's fandom are total a-holes.

Sam Constance 3 years, 11 months ago

I don't agree with nicka's original response on this thread, but when I read some of the responses coming to redcoalcarpet's defense, it does make me shake my head a bit.

Things like "[Selby] did jack squat" at KU or other comments talking about how he was completely worthless or "big time suckage".

He certainly had a tumultuous time here at Kansas, but we can honestly evaluate his time here without defaulting to one of two extremes. He wasn't "great". But he also did far, far more than "jack squat". I've also seen players provide "big time suckage" for KU, and Selby wasn't one of those players. Whatever happened to supporting him as a member of the Jayhawk family and remembering that he's a 19-year-old kid who is going to do impulsive, immature things from time to time (alluding to the way in which he informed everyone that he was entering the draft).

Being critical of Selby (or any KU or former KU player) doesn't make one a "bad fan". But it's still sad to see some of the more unfounded criticisms. It has the appearance of being spoiled.

nuleafjhawk 3 years, 11 months ago

march - i probably shouldn't post at 6:13 am anytime, and i agree with you that my choice of words to describe Selby's time here was not flattering or appropriate. Having said that, he was still a huge disappointment to me as a fan. Yes, we ARE spoiled. I'm not going to even start naming names, because I'd leave a bunch of great ones out, but we have had literally hundreds of kids here over the years who go all out all the time, who bleed C & B and who represent KU in outstanding fashion. In my opinion, Selby did not do that.

Redlandsjhawk 3 years, 11 months ago

Redcoalcarpet wasn't attacking Selby, he was pointing out that rankings and hype don't always translate into results...Nicka was out of line.

nuleafjhawk 3 years, 11 months ago

Redlands - I agree. I was replying to marchphog88 and regretting that I make posts before I have an ample supply of coffee coarsing through my veins. I never did like Selby as a player, but I need to try much harder to keep my feelings civil.

nuleafjhawk 3 years, 11 months ago

Coursing. Guess it doesn't matter what time of day it is.

DevilHawk 3 years, 11 months ago

Yes, because Selby was playing horribly immediately before his injury.

He made his fair share of freshman mistakes on the court, but he did most of what he was expected to do other than figure out how to be successful playing through a possible career ending injury.

Had it been a truly minor or relatively insignificant injury, then we would have probably seen a different performance in March.

dvo1990 3 years, 11 months ago

Why would he go to UCONN? Calhoun may not be there next year!

jayhawkinATL 3 years, 11 months ago

Con artist is more like it. UConn, with Calhoun, is as shady as they come!!!

Dana Brown 3 years, 11 months ago

Yeah right so who are you to talk. You walk a straight line. Mr. Perfecto nice to meet you. You could fill his shoes .. ever.

John Randall 3 years, 11 months ago

Maybe that's what DD is hoping – so he can reopen recruiting season, which he never wanted to end. HCBS just doesn't buy into the idea that talent deserves privilege, so it's likely Tx or some such place is his second choice.

I remember being pretty disappointed with the last commit-decommit-commit again who deigned to bless Jayhawk world with 2/3 of a year from what may or may not become a respectable career in NBA, or in Turkey or Brazil.

I do hope that if DD goes back 'on the market' Self will politely decline to re-offer. He had his chance.

Jaminrawk 3 years, 11 months ago

Seriously, not disappointed. Just relieved we don't have to hear about him anymore.

Kevin Millikan 3 years, 11 months ago

And they can cheat with the best of them!

ahpersecoachingexperience 3 years, 11 months ago

any truth to the rumor that cam newtons father is also dd's?

this cal is starting to make the other cal look clean!

Andy Tweedy 3 years, 11 months ago

He isn't "starting" to make others look clean, he's been doing it for years...crooked as they come. I'm not saying that's why DD is going there, but crooked nonetheless!

chewyman 3 years, 11 months ago

Releford is doing cart wheels as you are reading this. Good for T.R.

Ray March 3 years, 11 months ago

i hate this kid.

Daniels: "I'm coming to Kansas". "Oh wait....maybe not. Let me think." "I'm going to Texas." "Oh wait....maybe not. Let me think." "I will decide Wednesday."

Wednesday passes...

"Oh wait....maybe not. I will decide tomorrow."

Thursday passes...

"Oh wait....maybe not. I'm not going to make any announcement Thursday." "Oh let me just go 3 weeks without saying anything."

3 weeks pass....

"I'm going to talk to Duke now. I like Duke." "Oh wait...maybe not. I don't like Duke. I'm leaning Kansas or Texas." "Oh wait...maybe not."

"OK, I'm going to UConn, which isn't even a basketball school and just got lucky and won last year's Championship because the good teams lost early."

"Yay!!! I'm an idiot!"

jayhawkrob 3 years, 11 months ago

KUball_khan 3 years, 11 months ago

Right, UConn isn't a basketball school. They only have more national championships in the last 15 years than any other men's bball program. Keep dreaming.

Dana Brown 3 years, 11 months ago

You cant teach these bafoons anything. But keejp trying. I agree with you.Winning shouts the loudest. I am a Jayhawk fan forever.. but with the talent they have and have had at least the last three seasons and not a single final four let alone Championship.

dylans 3 years, 11 months ago

Equal parts luck and talent go into winning a N.C. The talent they have had? How about the talent lost from the previous year? Hmm...3 NBA players 2 strait years. How did KU make it into the tourney? by winning the Big 12. There are other good teams out there Uconn is one of 'em. You can't win them all (games or recruits).

KUball_khan 3 years, 11 months ago

No one is counting Women's championships, xfitter. Do the research instead of closing your eyes and hoping that what you type makes sense.

Huskynation 3 years, 11 months ago

gchawk 3 years, 11 months ago

You do have a great program, a lot of us are just venting our frustration about not landing this young man, however, the person you responded to isn't exactly a shining example of a typical Jayhawk, you may have him/her.

KUball_khan 3 years, 11 months ago

Understood. Kansas fans are typically some of the classiest in college hoops.

kureignman 3 years, 11 months ago

Not going to lie, I wish we could have got him. But I'm glad he finally made his decision and I'm thankful that we won't have to deal with the will he or won't he stay more than one year. I wish him the best and have a feeling that we'll be alright next year.

Troll_or_AntiTroll 3 years, 11 months ago

Good luck, DeAndre! We here at Kansas wish you nothing but the best! Even though it didn't work out, thanks for considering us!

Lance Hobson 3 years, 11 months ago

Look, we really never wanted a flake like this. He would have been nothing but trouble, just like he'll be at UCONN, which will soon be on probation anyway.

bradynsdad 3 years, 11 months ago

Kind of odd. I will assume Calhoun is returning. The door is open for releford to have a big year. Maybe he thinks he will be the second coming of kemba. Oh well, glad it's over now our guys can get focused on their roles and not concern themselves with who is or isn't committing. This year may not be amazing but I still think self is setting himself up nicely for the next two to three years to come.

KJD 3 years, 11 months ago

Now that Andre Walker's name has come up, it is good that DeAndre has removed his himself from the mix instead of letting this linger into the fall. Walker could add some depth as an experienced player from a decent BCS basketball program. It couldn't hurt if he can mix in with KU's culture.

nicka 3 years, 11 months ago

Please...dumbest comment of the day. Andre walker? Wtf are you talking about? We need players, not rejects.

hawkmarc 3 years, 11 months ago

Who cares. Anyone this indecisive may never get his shoes laced.

boomrsoonr26 3 years, 11 months ago

Yeah, but do you go traditional powerhouse "straight on" velcro, or do you go new hipster with the hipster "criss cross" velcro. Maybe unvelcroed is making a up n coming splash.

I dont know where that came from, forget DD, Its Releford time!

nuleafjhawk 3 years, 11 months ago

I guess that shows my age. I didn't know there were so many velcro options. You're right - let's move on!

David Hodges 3 years, 11 months ago

UConn... I was done with this kid anyway but that was out of left field. I wish Daniels all the best. That being said, i understand wanting to make the best decision, its the constant mind changing and delays that made me write this kid off. I personally think he is waiting out the NBA lockout to see if he can just skip college all together. Why announce at this time anyway? He can't sign anything that binds him to the school. Has to enroll and attend a class at this point to be tied to the school. Why not just wait until a few weeks before school starts to make that choice. Lets see if he makes it to campus anytime soon. Good Luck Daniels. I hope you don't change your mind and end up at Kansas because at this point--good luck on your career. Rock Chalk!

4jhawks4ku 3 years, 11 months ago

How are we ever gonna win the league without a superstar like Xavier or Josh. Oh my goodness. I bet Self got pounded and badmouthed on the recruiting trail by the other "big time coaches" this year. Anybody out there wanna earn their playing time anymore?, . We'll be fine this year in fact Im gonna rather enjoy it. Rock Chalk..

David Hodges 3 years, 11 months ago

Makes me wonder if DD got a call from a certain head coach that went something like. Hey Deandre! Its time for us to move on and get ready for next season. I hope you have a great basketball career and life... just not a Kansas. Rock Chalk.

Dyrk Dugan 3 years, 11 months ago

well, that's a big blow....kudos to him for keeping it under wraps for so long......nobody had this beforehand.

we will not be as good next year without Daniels, unless one of our current guys really gets better. Releford could be it....but since he's never done it, then you can't say he will. he was starting to last year...and then the ankle.

of course, if McLemore is the real deal, and any of his issues that he had at Oak Hill are all taken care of, then he's another factor.

this is why i wish the twins would have stayed..and Selby. because next year is the year we can hit the HR in recruiting...this year, not so much. just a double.

if we win the Big 12 title next year, then Bill Self is the coach of the year, of all levels, in all sports. because we have been 68-6 the last two years, and we're losing almost everybody....and then to win it again...Coach Self would be all world.

lee3022 3 years, 11 months ago

Actually since Daniels has never done it you can't say he will. Travis has shown more than Daniels at the college level.

Coach is coach of the year every year, even when they get it wrong. We should be fine.

Hank Cross 3 years, 11 months ago

Thank goodness this nonsense is over. I'm glad that he didn't come to KU b/c he had problems written all over him. It's likely there's more to his period of indecision than meets the eye. I'm sure he wasn't pouring over course catalogues or trying to decide what fight song he liked best. There are probably some very good reasons UK and Duke walked away. Does anyone seriously think that Coach K couldn't get the admissions department to work double-time to get this kid admitted if Coach K really wanted it?

Ethan Berger 3 years, 11 months ago

I'm okay with this, he probably didn't want to play the post and knew if he came and played the 3, he wouldn't had gotten as many minutes. With Releford and BMAC, it would have been hard to get a lot of playing time. Next years class has to be a monster.

apeoples410 3 years, 11 months ago

A rabid fan base who is more supporting of the women's team. The Final Four is proof of that. The UConn section was an embarassment. The organizers had to shuffle other fans into the empty seats as most of the Husky fans were supporting the women's team.

JayDocMD 3 years, 11 months ago

I can attest to that - UConn was the worst-represented of all 4 Final Four teams. For all the talk of "tradition" and a "rabid fan base" their absence was an embarassment.

Dave Benjamin 3 years, 11 months ago

Not going to bash an 18-year-old for not picking the team I root for and support. Too bad for us, but we'll be fine either way. UConn will need the help considering they may not have Calhoun next year anyway. I am a fan of picking up the Vandy kid if he's interested in KU. Any depth we can get in the frontcourt will be a positive. As long as he's a team player and not a distraction with helicopter parents/"family friend" agent issues, we can only benefit.

gchawk 3 years, 11 months ago

If it didn't matter, I wouldn't be disappointed.This young man has a tremendous amount of potential, but I don't think a long term college career was ever in his plans. I like our upcoming team a great deal, and I think that this year's team will pleasantly surprise a lot of KU fans. Personally, I'm so sick and tired of the great OAD's, I'd much rather have a solid "team" than a few individual stars.

jaybate 3 years, 11 months ago

Who will commit to KU now that DD has cleared the path?

John Randall 3 years, 11 months ago

Should I assume you're talking 2012? We're well enough positioned for this year, and next year's talent pool seems both deeper and stronger, so having one more scholarship on the shelf doesn't disturb me at all.

lee3022 3 years, 11 months ago

Ben is our home run and Naadir is our leader among recruits. In all we have a good solid class of athletes who will benefit greatly from a very strong coaching staff. I am also glad it is over and we can move on to development of next year's team. Five months from now I want to be celebrating a win over UK and a good start of the season.

jaybate 3 years, 11 months ago

Looked at UConn's returning team. Deandre gets to play first violin for UConn. So: DD apparently made his choice based on not wanting to play second fiddle to Tyshawn and TRob.

JayDocMD 3 years, 11 months ago

No guarantee that he'll beat out Roscoe Smith to start at the small forward position - and Jeremy Lamb is a projected 2012 1st round draft pick and the player UConn will play through next year.

For a guy wanting to showcase himself as a possible one-and-doner, there were better choices out there. At least we can move on and be content with what we have. I'm a Releford fan and I expect big things from him this year.

DRsmith 3 years, 11 months ago

I have said it all along. After the last couple of months of his recruitment, something just doesn't seem right. Duke and UK backed off of him and in the end it is a good thing he ended up elsewhere IMO.

DRsmith 3 years, 11 months ago

Correction. A couple of months is too long. At that point I thought he would still be a good pickup for KU but from then to this point his recruitment just doesn't add up.

SoCalAlum 3 years, 11 months ago

Been here before: Charlie Villanueva. Worked out for him. Good luck to DD. Minutes and points to Ben McLamore.

SoCalAlum 3 years, 11 months ago

Now that DD's committed to UConn, it looks like he gained 20 lbs (in article above, DD at 200 lbs now).

newyorkjayhawk 3 years, 11 months ago

i haven't posted in a while... frankly haven't felt the need to... but i think some posters on here are getting a little out of touch with reality... aren't we talking about a kid? he's not a pro (yet), Kansas did nothing but offer him a scholarship so he owed nothing but consideration of said offer, he didn't grow up being rabidly attached to ANY school like we are unconditionally in love with KU... just leave the kid alone.

On the one hand in his favor, njjayhawk makes some good points, Calhoun has once again made UConn look attractive to someone who wants to showcase their talent. Be it warranted or not, the Big East gets the most attention of any conference, UConn just won the National Championship and then lost their leader (and leading scorer) so it leaves room for a OAD to show his stuff...

On the other hand, it's possibly for the best! No offense to DD at all, but he may not have been what we needed. i dunno how excited we should be about anderson or traylor based on already-developed skill sets, but these young posts are working with danny manning, they're VERY athletic and they are REALLY excited to be jayhawks!!!! count mclemore and thaarpe into that same category as backcourt options and i think we very much succeeded in recruiting this year... we filled serious needs, without overshadowing where TRob and TTaylor should be rising up anyway... let those two returning vets do what they've been billed to do, let the young posts develop, give Withey a chance to earn some minutes, see if EJohnson can put up some numbers, and let's see if mclemore is worth a top 25 billing...

Our team is gonna be good out of the gates... not GREAT, just good... we have two VERY athletic returning guards who can combo between the 1 and 2 positions as they can both penetrate, play defense, handle the ball, pass, and shoot. Releford as some have said could break out anyday. TRob is GREAT as long as he stays out of foul trouble. Withey is the tallest guy in the conference and has a nice outside touch and don't forget he's added serious weight this offseason. McLemore could be exciting, Thaarpe could be a true point for backup, Anderson and Traylor have huge upside potential, we have a few other possible minute grabbers in there... i think we have a decent team with a chance under HCBS and Manning and the rest of the crew to really be impressive... remember 2008-2009!!!!!!!!! GO HAWKS!

John Randall 3 years, 11 months ago

One returning player we seem to be forgetting is the one who earned a scholarship and a redshirt last season – he's good enough to fill quality minutes and/or make sure that whoever does is earning them. There will be more than a few times next year when we are very glad to still have a 'glue guy', IMHO.

Tony Bandle 3 years, 11 months ago

Are you talking about Conner???? Please tell me you're not talking about Conner.

Does the title "Glue Guy" automatically designate that guy as the team whipping boy for that season?

Hank Cross 3 years, 11 months ago

I agree 100%. Those of us who've been pushing for Releford to get more minutes during the past year will finally get a chance to see if we were right about him. I like the athleticism of next years team. Although I have no illusions about a FF, I can see them getting 20+ wins, competiting for the B12 regular season and tourney titles (and maybe even winning one of them), getting a 4-5 seed and going to the S16. Then we'll see what happens if KU's able to add some 4 or 5 star recruits for '12-13.

theend 3 years, 11 months ago

Ralster is a class act......Even though we are now at peace(detente)....I hope we can still find something to argue about. But not now-I agree with you 100%. Releford....if given the chance and injury free could be awesome.

It's funny when media and "experts" predict KU will be 5th in the Big 12. Lets see how that works out.

Ralster needs to share the place he got that photo.

Jim Pendleton 3 years, 11 months ago

Lbranch has actually nailed this, because technically this isn't over.

I agree he will likely never come here. However, he can't sign a letter of intent as that deadline is long gone. He will have to sign a financial grant aid when he gets to campus. But until that happens, this could change again. I also agree there is a chance Calhoun might not be there next year, which might be a factor as well.

Until such time as DD actually is enrolled in classes at UConn't, he could change his mind again at any time. Let's just hope if he does, he doesn't wind up at Texas. Agree with everyone, we will be fine. Rock Chalk!!

Mark Lindrud 3 years, 11 months ago

I stopped caring a few weeks ago. We have a good rotation for next year if you ask me. We will depend on a lot of young guys, but nothing wrong with a rebuilding year. We have experience with TRob, TT, EJ and Travis who have played significant minutes. Withey is now an upper classman so I hope he is healthy, stronger and ready to produce.

With the young guys: Mac, Tharpe, Braeden and Traylor we have guys that will need to learn quick, but we will be fine and it will be a fun year no matter what happens. RCJHKU!

ajhk 3 years, 11 months ago

Too bad. This kid could have turned out to be as good as Micah Downs.
Gee, wonder what kind of car his dad will soon be driving? I hope we save the scholie for next year and land a huge class

Robert Robinson 3 years, 11 months ago

Don't get too upset people. Summers not over

theend 3 years, 11 months ago

Well....we can't get everybody we want.......but we may just get everybody we need.

jcourt 3 years, 11 months ago

What a Hor, U Conn knows how to hide the money. Thats all these guys who sign late are waiting for.

theend 3 years, 11 months ago

Mostly agree but hey you never know......remember 1988?? Almost everyone(probaly myself included but I can't recall exactly) wrote off KU. Heck, they even need 2 guys from the football team!! And look what happenned.

I will never forget that game. Watched it at college.....not a single KU fan around and 100's of miles from KC. Just me and my TV in a little dumpy apartment that didn't have good hot water and poor appliances.

But that night.....it may as well been the Ritz Carlton. April 4, 1988. Never forget it.

Ethan Berger 3 years, 11 months ago

you stop, you are supposed to call fans like me blind when I believe. you are not allowed to be that guy. (btw +1 on your comment)

Kirk 3 years, 11 months ago

Hmm. Most of our "national title material" teams have failed to come within smelling distance of the final game. Maybe we use a new set of lower expectations.

Remember, low expectations are catnip to today's gangsta crowd. It means disrespect. Kids love, love, love it.

Jeff Coffman 3 years, 11 months ago

It is weird on this recruitment. Clearly started with UT, than opened it up, was very interested in KU and a few other schools. Than there was hints that he wanted to be closer to home, so SDSU came up. All of a sudden there was talk the UConn would get in the mix and poof he is there.

I'm not convinced that will be the best spot for him, but it is hard to guess where the best school is.

I think ultimately our team is solid and looking at the Big XII, we won it by one game this year over UT and than 4 games over the rest of the crowd. Personally, I think UT will take a half stuff back, they have good recruits, but not as good as who left. You might be able to say that about our team, but we were playing nine deep late into the year, I think we will step up.

We win the Big XII by 2 games this year.

Just as a note every ESPN analyst should pick them as the winner as well, just to make up for their pick last year.

Baylor is the only team I think of that has drastically improved over last year, but they have a long way to go.

davehawkSWK 3 years, 11 months ago

There are many other factors to consider besides a decision of an 18 y.o. We know what we have in the cupboard; other schools likewise know what KU has to offer and realize that KU does not leave a bench empty. I have been a J-HAWK fan for over 50 years and have seen many players come and go and have seen great teams and some that, in some peoples' eyes, were not so great. That being said, when did Hawk Nation get so many player analysts that there is an argument concerning the decision of a school for upcoming student-athletes? Give the coaches a break and a chance to bring in athletes that will fit in with the existing cadre of players. There is obviously a reason that DD did not wish to get into the fold, albeit his choice considering playing time or the coaches not pursuing him as a not true fit into the cog. Love the 'Hawks and know that we will be fine this upcoming year. Look forward to another exciting year of KU sports. RCJH from SWK!!!

siukufan1 3 years, 11 months ago

Personally, I like the fact he is going to UCONN. He has proven he isn't out for the team or he would have committed to any school early to help facilitate those teams. We have an incoming class full of 3-4 year guys who you build championship caliber teams around. Next years class will be the best in the last 5-6 years!!

KUsmoothies 3 years, 11 months ago

Couldn't agree more. Let Manning work with these guys and see what they look like in 3 years with a couple 5 star players around them that actually care about college bball. I'm so tired of players that just use schools as a 1 year pit stop til the NBA.

nuleafjhawk 3 years, 11 months ago

But they'll keep doing it as long as colleges keep recruiting them.

Carolyn Troupe 3 years, 11 months ago

Personally, I'm pleased about our group next year. I get upset when people who have played hard and have talent, get shunted aside for the sake of OADs, like Releford has been. I hope he gets a major shot this time. We have a lot of guys who have the heart and talent to perform well. They just need the stage and the challenge.

Jack Wilson 3 years, 11 months ago

Didn't read all the comments yet .. but all I can say is .. the door is open for Releford. This is his year to breakout. Can't wait.

Jayhawklegacy 3 years, 11 months ago

There was a time during this recruiting process I would say losing Daniels stings!! Now I have kind of lost interest in him, with all of this mess in deciding schools!! I'm happy we have Mclemore and happy we have Traylor and all the other recruits. It will be interesting this coming season I think we will see CS in true form. He coaches better when we are the underdogs and our players play better!! Just look at recent years we play down to our competition!! Not this coming season, I'm super interested and excited for next season for that reason.

REHawk 3 years, 11 months ago

What the Jayhawk fanbase always reveres, and the Kansas coaching staff seems to pursue and develop to optimum potential, is the player who cherishes the opportunity to be a Jayhawk basketball player, even though few promises are made about playing minutes. I think that Bill Self and assistants are brutally upfront with recruits. In recent years team depth is so stacked at Kansas that even the best of five star recruits are told that they must earn minutes by mastering basic skills pronto...esp., as Naadir Tharpe so boldly stated, if they face up and keep ahead of their opponent on the defensive end of the court. Otherwise, expect a spot on the sidelines until defensive fundamentals are mastered. DeAndre appeared to be shopping for optimum promises, just as did Doron Lamb a year ago. If hoops in Div. I works out as well for Daniels as it did for Lamb, more power to him for shopping what might appear to be his best deal. I envision Releford and McLemore doing a super job of filling the 3 position. Teahan occasionally coming in to hit some threes or provide relief if one of those two is injured. Gotta hope that, by fall, we have access to support for TRob and Withey at the 4 and 5. In my mind, those two positions are in much more need for backup than the 3.

squawkhawk 3 years, 11 months ago

Self is done...he can't recruit. The end is near.

Ray March 3 years, 11 months ago

UConn isn't a basketball school like KANSAS is a basketball school.

These stupid little kid recruits only know what happened in the last 12 months though.

VERY dumb decision. Whatev though....enjoy playing for a tool of a coach.

Kirk 3 years, 11 months ago

Hmm. A tool of a coach with -- isn't it three rings now? His team played their best basketball at the END of the year.

KU_Alumn_2000 3 years, 11 months ago

I disagree with most of the posters in here. We really needed to get DeAndre.

Self is used to playing with a deep squad of post players...in which this will not be the case this season.

I love Travis Releford...but he is not a 4...he is a 3.

No doubt that we will be extremely fast and athletic next season...but we will struggle to rebound and play post defense...which is gonna hurt us. Playing Roy Williams / Mike Anderson ball may fit this team better than Self ball.

KUsmoothies 3 years, 11 months ago

I figured USC or Ohio St. but UConn didn't really shock me either. This dude isn't KU bball and glad he didn't take minutes from guys like Releford.

Sam Constance 3 years, 11 months ago

Hard not to wonder what kind of winks and nudges Daniels got from the shady staff at UConn. Let's see...

In the last 12 months, UConn has 1) been slapped by the NCAA for a poor academic progress rating, and 2) been slapped by the NCAA for giving improper benefits to a recruit a few years ago.

Combine those two facts with a decision that came from nowhere--the first I heard of the Huskies being in the race at all was earlier this week, and I believe the quote was "UConn is trying to get into the mix" (possibly paraphrasing). Side note: how, exactly, does a school that hasn't been "in the mix" or listed as a potential option for a given recruit get into the mix?

"Hey Deandre! I know we haven't really been in the picture trying to recruit you, but late is better than never, right?"

I personally think this whole thing reeks of something fishy going on. Not because it's inconceivable for a recruit to choose UConn over Kansas (happens all the time, actually), but because the circumstances around this one are just too strange.

Honestly, I'm disappointed that we won't have Deandre's skills next year. I wasn't convinced he was the type of guy who was going to step on the court and make a difference, but he does have a skill set/size combo that isn't quite like anyone else we have on the roster. That being said, the way this went down makes me at least wonder if KU isn't better off without him in the long run. Or said another way, if whatever school that got Daniels was going to need to up the ante, so to speak, to get him, then I'd prefer KU just pass on by.

KU will still be very good next year.

UConn will still be very corrupt next year. Their basketball team might also be decent. Maybe someone should tell the fans.

Benjamin Piehler 3 years, 11 months ago

hard to say why he chose uconn... I guess I'll assume it was because he wants to ride the post-title popularity train.

anyway, I wouldnt be worried about next year. It seems self's teams perform better when they are an afterthought, like in 09'... now if only we could get it together and win the games we are supposed to....

KEITHMILES05 3 years, 11 months ago

How can a kid who pick a school without ever visiting? Seriously, this is just plain crazy. He didn't even know Calhoun on top if it and very likely Calhoun may retire very soon.

oldalum 3 years, 11 months ago

Julian Wright committed to KU without visiting, so this isn't a first. Maybe he was wanting to go to UConn all along and was just waiting for them to ask. I agree with you about Calhoun's status, and had considered that the biggest mark against UConn when I read that they were trying to get into the recruiting late.

Steve Yeakel 3 years, 11 months ago

KU is good at team first basketball, and has not done well trying to blend in the self centered Lebron look at me one and done guys. I think we are better off getting team guys signed in the fall, not having to go through the annual circus of late signings. Maybe hold open one spot for that, but no more.

mfk24 3 years, 11 months ago

GREAT site! You guys are really into and that's what makes it fun, but as a UCONN alum and fan (I got to your site through a google alert on DD) you guys are bit off base on Calhoun and calling him a cheater. He's been coaching for almost 40 years and outside of a former Grad Asst who turned agent and did some things with a recruit WHO NEVER PLAYED FOR UCONN your "dirty program" comments are a bit off.

We had the same thing happen to us last year with Kentucky and their point guard who bailed on us and went with Coach Cal... but what can you do...these kids are 17-18 and sometimes the last person they talk to makes the most sense in their eyes and that's it, regardless of how long they have been recruiting or not.

Lastly, to kind of spur your memory, it was not that long ago that you scored Danny Manning and his Dad magically becomes an Asst Coach???? Did you guys not get a one year ban for dirty stuff several years ago? Didn't KU just lose a scholarship last year because of "lack of control" over the program???? Be careful about throwing stones when, from the outside, your house is not squeaky clean.

Good luck in 2011-12!

ahpersecoachingexperience 3 years, 11 months ago

It just goes to prove our point. This is a guy from another school that has an opinion, is well spoken, and would listen to your side of the story if discussing sports at a bar. Now compare that to most of the mu, ksu, and uk clowns that post on this site...

Don't worry mkf, it's mostly sour grapes right now and almost every other poster that is hating on uconn is forgetting that we had almost 1/4 of our team suspended for one reason or another at some point last season and Mario Chalmer's dad was also on staff. And that completes the longest run on sentence of the day!

duanep5ku 3 years, 11 months ago

Oh,well Deandre decision, it is what it is, and to be perfectly honest with all the posters on here, I'm glad he chose to go to another team. I know call me crazy but I still prefer the less drama type of players who loves Kansas basketball as much as I do and the players who come here because they want to be here over some of the drama queens of today.

Deandre to Kansas was not going to be a good fit for either party involved. I mean if Deandre is another one and done he probably will be more of a star at Uconn and if he wanted to be here, I think he had plenty of time to make that decision already. I also think KU will be better off in the long run without him, maybe not next year but then again that all depends on how well some of our returning players perform on the court.

Bill Self is a system first type of coach, so hopefully a returning three year player returning to KU will be be better then another one and done.

The positives about DD decision for Kansas fans on here to be thankful for he's not helping any other big 12 team next year. Texas lost a ton,they definitly needed him. If he went to OSU they would have had Lebryan Nash and Deandre,could have been a tough combination to face.

So The good news no Deandre helping any team in our conference. Oh, to the posters on here that mentioned that some current players on the team are probably not to upset either about the decision, great call.

jayhawkinATL 3 years, 11 months ago

Totally understandable...Calhoun and UConn put together a financial package that DD and his family just couldn't refuse.

Michael Pannacciulli 3 years, 11 months ago

Uh oh, we have an intruder. Haha. Thanks for the other perspective and rushing to the defense as any die hard should.

DeAndre saga over for KU, may just be starting for UCONN, or he may be their missing piece to solidifying another title. Not my concern anymore.

Question - what type of year will EJ have? What will his minutes look like? He showed some glimpses last year of a hard-nosed gamer...

yates33333 3 years, 11 months ago

I think the comment that UConn offered a better financial package is right on. He will probably have to take a cut in pay if he decides to go pro next year.

yates33333 3 years, 11 months ago

El Jay 3 years, 11 months ago

I was going to post this today regardless, but its really timely now. I was watching ESPN last night and Mark May was talking about the Terrelle Pryor situation and he mentioned that when Pryor was a recruit, May was sour on him because he did the exact same thing in his recruiting process as DD has done (holding up six other scholarships past the signing deadline). May felt he would be a problem and a primadonna based on the way he handled his recruiting and look how that turned out. Who knows what the future will hold, but you gotta have the exact same concerns about DD and its probably better that he didnt come here anyway - we've had enough bad press the last couple of years. And look where he ended up - at a program that just got caught cheating. Cant wait to see how this one goes...

El Jay 3 years, 11 months ago

and by the way, Id be willing to bet serious money that this kid is nothing special next year anyhow. Honestly, he's probably gotten more pub in the last month than he'll get all next season. Maybe thats why he dragged it out, he knows he's been over-hyped

dmg97102 3 years, 11 months ago

Deandre isn't committed to anyone at this point. He says he's going to UCONN, but that's assumming Calhoun stays. He only has a financial aid agreement, which isn't binding the player to the school until he enrolls. This is actually pretty smart on his part, because it still gives him options. If Calhoun leaves, he leaves. If Calhoun stays, Daniels stays. I'm not saying this because I'm hoping KU still has an outside shot of getting him (I really don't want him anymore, because I think Releford is going to shine this year). I'm just saying this may not be over yet, because there's still speculation Calhoun is leaving.

On another note...Has Woolridge transferred yet? We could use a shooter. I think he thought we might bring in alot of recruits and playing time would be an issue, but I think he'd play a little bit if he stuck with us. I just don't remember there being any official word on where he's going. Self should try to convince him to stick with the program, and in 2 years, he'd be a Brady/Reed type of player.

Benjamin Piehler 3 years, 11 months ago

considering our recent track record with one and dones, its hard to mourn the loss of this one.

Danny Reece 3 years, 11 months ago

This guy is a Head Case..Better off without him........

hawksince51 3 years, 11 months ago

Don't know about first part but agree with 2nd part. As I said on other posts, I did not want another OAD to come in steal minutes, and flop. I like that we will have a bunch of guys who have been/will be around for awhile and make real contributions. I'm just glad UT did not get him.

Tony Bandle 3 years, 11 months ago

DD's skillset would have been a fine addition to our team, however, we have some decent depth at the wing with Releford, McClemore and even Wesley.

Guards are strong with Taylor, Johnson, Naadir, Teahan, Garret and Roberts

It's down under where we could be hurting. 1] The only sure thing is TRob and his tendency to get into foul trouble is a concern. Also, he must improve his foul shooting. Because of his style of play, he will get "Hack a Shaq" a bunch next season. 2] Jeff Withey is still an unknown. At 7'-0" with a soft shot, he has the potential to be a force. {can we dream Dirk Nowitzke?},. However strength and stamina are big concerns. 3] Braedon Anderson is a freshman with great potential, however potential means impact in 2012. Still, that's five fouls to give to the team. 4] Jamari Traylor, ditto to #3

I see this area as a huge concern since Bill's offense goes through the "Bigs". Unless there are some late decommits, and of course HCBS has done well here, I am not nearly as giddy about this team as some of you are.

We will win at least 24 or so, compete for the Big 12 and make the NCAA's but I think we will be in the unusual postion as a dark horse come tournament time. based on recent history, maybe that's not such a bad thing.

Minimum- 20 to 24 wins, compete for the Big 12, make the NCAA, lose - 2nd round. Maximum- 25 to 30 wins, win Big 12, make it to the NCAA Sweet Sixteen.

Still Rock Chalk all the way!!!!!!

jayhawktalk 3 years, 11 months ago

If nothing else, Calimari is as dirty and they come, but teflon and brilliant when it comes to plausible deniability. Duke ultimately took a pass...

Duke moving on may not spell trouble, but Calimari passing on a top 10 recruit... It's unfathomable. My dad would eat anything when I was growing up, even things a sane, rational person wouldn't touch; he was a "what doesn't kill you makes you stronger" advocate when it came to food. There are times when you see an indiscriminate person pass on something, you don't even need to go near it to know it's rotten.

Next year is going to be exciting. I can't wait!

jdhawk1988 3 years, 11 months ago

This is Hillarious.... the Kid with the longest recruiting process chooses to attend a school and join a team of which he has visited neither. Does anyone else have a feeling he wont be on the team in January??? I think he'll adverage 9, 4, and 1 and leave school do to unhappiness.

But best of luck to him

matlockhawk 3 years, 11 months ago

We DO have recent experience with OAD non-contributers. Kind of makes one wonder why we would want to gothat direction again.

Vincent Patterson 3 years, 11 months ago

I watched several videos of this guy and wasn't all that impressed. We need more from a 6'9" player than just jacking up threes. He probably was more of a 3 than a 4 and we have that locked down with Travis and McLemore. We're fine. I'm tired of 1 and dones anyways.

Sam Constance 3 years, 11 months ago

The funniest part about all of this?

The Worldwide Leader doesn't even give a crap. Not one mention of Daniels "commitment" on the ESPN college basketball home page:

Not a good sign when we're at a point of the year when real, juicy college basketball news is hard to come by. One would think that a top 10 recruit choosing a school would get some pub, right? I mean, UConn is practically in ESPN's backyard...

Apparently ESPN is as done with Deandre's dragging out of the process as most people. Or they just aren't sure that he's actually decided. Or they are in disbelief that a kid would commit to somewhere he neither visited nor met the coach.

Again, fishy. I'd be shocked if the NCAA wasn't doing a little looking into the situation, given the strangeness of his choice and the fact that it coincides with UConn being under scrutiny for various NCAA violations.

Chicago_JHawk 3 years, 11 months ago

Why all the hate? How was this kid a "headcase"? He waited until he was ready to make announce a decision and did so. He didn't engage anyone in the media with a will he or won't he saga.

He didn't announce, then later change his mind. He didn't hold a press conference. he did it the right way, as far as I can tell. If he'd picked KU, everyone on this site would be lining up to welcome him.

I love Kansas, but I'm not particularly enamored with Kansas fans.

nuleafjhawk 3 years, 11 months ago

Chicago - don't be too upset with Kansas fans. It happens to everyone. All good fans ( and by good, I mean "enthusiastic" ) get wrapped up in it in their own way. Basically, our fans are great. I've been to a lot of sporting events around the country and I think our fans stack up as well as any. I know we're mostly talking basketball right now, but my only complaint is about football. If you're going to attend a football game - please stay until the end if you can. The football team has enough problems without looking up in the 3rd quarter, regardless of the score, and seeing 20,000 people. It's disheartening. You're right about DD, in my opinion, but we probably would have all acted the same way the last couple of years if we had lost out on Xavier and Josh.

Scott Oswalt 3 years, 11 months ago

One & done's are ruining the college game. I'd rather have Releford play a lot more next year and throw down some of those sick windmill dunks!

Kirk 3 years, 11 months ago

Couldn't agree more. The rule that allows it is a massive hypocrisy, and a total disregard of the concept of "student athletes".

Not that I mind losing this guy. I don't care. I'm sick of the drama around all these superstars. I just like good old Kansas team basketball, well coached, respectful and smart.

nuleafjhawk 3 years, 11 months ago

You're right - the OAD's are killing college basketball. Like video killed the radio star. Sorry. We might as well buckle down though, it's only going to get worse. Ten years from now, probably no one will have anybody on the roster more than 2 years. They won't even have to be talented - as long as they've got the moviestar good looks, or some really cool tat's that will show up well on TV. Show me the MONEY, baby!!

Kirk 3 years, 11 months ago

What a nice world. One in which Danny would have stayed for only one year. And Wilt. And Jo-Jo, and Pierce. And others.

That's a huge improvement in college basketball

ahpersecoachingexperience 3 years, 11 months ago

McDonalds worker: Sir, I'm going to ask you one more time! Do or do you not want me to supersize your order!!!

Mark Lindrud 3 years, 11 months ago

Can I have a sundae? No, a salad? I am deciding between a a coke and a sprite! I will tell you in a minute what I want....30 minutes later, I am still deciding between an apple pie and a McFlurry so don't rush me! 60 minutes later....Can I have Whopper?

Kevin Huffman 3 years, 11 months ago

Somebody earlier made the comment....only most championships over the last 15 years.....problem being they've had 2 or 3 bad waves of NIT seasons as well.......a little inconsistent. While I've always HATED Syracuse, they're probably more consistent within the same conference.

Ozarkace68 3 years, 11 months ago

I really didn't think there was a need for a budding narcissistic one and doner on the 2011-12 team. They seem solid and if the leadership emerges and Coach Self and his superior staff does their usual great job of leading and coaching it will satisfy me just fine. There is some real talent in the remaining group and in the incoming freshmen.

The class of 2012 looks quite promising as well. I am always amazed at the comments that imply the Jayhawks should win the NCAA Championship every year and not doing so is a disgrace of some tiype. Get a life. Stay the course and continue to build on the tradition.

To those who think KU Basketball tradition started with the 2008 National Championship, get a book and get a life.

Rock Chalk

johninkc1 3 years, 11 months ago

Let's get this straight. Rather than come to KU and play with friends, he goes to UCONN. Nice! Hope it works out for him. As far as Selby goes, I lost respect for him when he didn't show for the team banquet. It is an honor to wear a KU jersey and he didn't do much at KU other than the USC game. He should have come back and helped our team and been a lottery pick next year. Any NBA team or coach that thinks he's ready didn't watch what he did this year. Why sugar coat it, he didn't even have the "guts" to tell Self what he was doing, mama did.

rob4lb 3 years, 11 months ago

I can't believe we have gotten to the point where we are holding our breath waiting for a decision from an 18 year old and get upset when he does not pick us. I honestly do not believe this is a bad thing. KU has adequate depth coming back and some of the players who have spent time in the program like a Releford learning the system will get a chance to play.

How many freshmen in the last few years have made a significant contribution to the team? I would say you have to go back to the Chalmers, Rush and Wright freshman year. Selby was not a game changer last year and Henry, though a starter most of the time, was not a difference maker.

The Big 12 appears to be pretty weak next year. There is no reason to believe KU can't win it. If the chemistry develops they could have a successful tournament run.

im4indiana 3 years, 11 months ago

One and done, another Josh Selby. 'nuf said...

motorboatinsomnia 3 years, 11 months ago

Reminds me of OSU quarterback, Terrelle Pryor. He also held up six different schools and scholarships by not signing his LOI on time & decided to wait. Flashfoward to today, where Terrelle just dropped a nuclear bomb on the OSU football programs on his way out the door. DD is probably going to have multiple problems during his college career and later on. He seems to have all the makings of a highly selfish person. aka. Josh "can you loan me 200 dollars?" Selby. Best of luck though. With all of the speculation and reports on DD over the past weeks, it'll be interesting to see how good he is.

matlockhawk 3 years, 11 months ago

IS THAT YOUR FINAL ANSWER!?! WHAT? No other bidders have stepped in at the last minute with a better offer? KU, Texas, and maybe Oregon with legitimate scholarship offers. That wasn't enough. Maybe if I waffle a bit someone will show up with an under the table offer. WOW! Duke, I never suspected. UConn, well no surprise there. Maybe the next NCAA scandal. If Ohio State got away with no sanctions, Why not UConn? Hmmmm.......................

Tony Bandle 3 years, 11 months ago

Help me here.....currrently, I think we have 11 scholarship players. With Conner, Tyshawn and most likely TRob leaving next year that puts the number to 8.

Chalk 1 up for Zack, that leaves 4 schollies. Perry Ellis, Shabazz Mohammed, Caleb Tarczewski and Nino Jackson...not a bad recruiting class!!

AZHawk72 3 years, 11 months ago

The words that will stick with me from the IMG release: "DeAndre has taken full advantage of everything IMG has to offer"--add the recruiting process, the University of Connecticut, the OAD process, and anyone or anything else that pops up along the way. He could have easily added some needed points from the wing, or he just as easily could have "blown up the lab" on team chemistry.

I, too, like Oakville, want to see us attack the 2012 group both early and hard. However, everything I read has Shabazz leaning to UCLA and Arizona. There is a Texas guard (combo) who is a heavy lean for us--sorry, his name escapes me--it's an "age thing" which is the exact opposite of the one that plagues DeAndre.

quill_46 3 years, 11 months ago

hell i saw him play he isnt that good,he would not have gotten much playing time anyway. Its all about him and we need team players and not just about me players.

Scott Smetana 3 years, 11 months ago

Best of luck to DD. I think with Releford and BMac we're fine on the wing anyways. I'm seriously worried about our bigs next year. I hope Traylor is ready for some major minutes! We seriously need a Jeff Graves type to gobble up the rebounds. Can we get some transfers from OSU?

matlockhawk 3 years, 11 months ago

I am more excited about Traylor than I would have been about Daniels. He sounds like he has more charcter and a better work ethic. He will give depth to the team and not just use KU as a one year resting place while he waits for next years draft. We don't need anymore of those.

Kenny Nall 3 years, 11 months ago

Henry and Selby have opened my eyes a bit to over-hyped high school basketball players.

Tom Gillaspie 3 years, 11 months ago

It's over - enough said. Let's get on with what matters.

gardenjay 3 years, 11 months ago

It's hard for me to get attached to one-and-dones. I like the student athletes like Danny Manning, getting a degree before going pro. More like one of the gang.