Sunday, January 23, 2011

Self shrugs off streak’s end, other KU notes

Videos

KU vs. Texas

video thumbnail

Texas defeated Kansas, 74-63 at Allen Fieldhouse, ending the Jayhawks' home-game winning streak at 69 on Saturday, Jan. 22, 2011.

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

KU coach Bill Self

Kansas coach Bill Self talks to reporters following the Jayhawks' 74-63 loss to Texas on Jan. 22, 2011.

Download podcast

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

Texas coach Rick Barnes

Texas coach Rick Barnes talks to reporters following his team's 74-63 victory over Kansas on Jan. 22, 2011, at Allen Fieldhouse.

Download podcast

The longest homecourt winning streak in Kansas University basketball history has been snapped at 69 games.

“I couldn’t care less about the streak. I couldn’t all along,” KU coach Bill Self said after Saturday’s 74-63 loss to Texas, KU’s first home loss since a 69-66 setback to Texas A&M on Feb. 3, 2007, in Allen Fieldhouse.

“The only game I was really concerned about on the streak was I wanted our team to be the one that had the longest school winning streak several games ago. That’s not something that weighs in my mind. The media does a good job of talking about that, but that doesn’t mean much to me.”

The previous school-record winning streak was 62 games from 1994-98.

Noted Brady Morningstar, the only Jayhawk player to have experienced another loss in Allen: “It hurts. You don’t like to lose. Obviously we had the streak going. We’re not playing to keep the streak alive. We’re playing to get a win. It happens. You’ve got to bounce back.”

Releford still ailing

Self said sophomore Travis Releford (ankle) was available to play in the game, but was only about 80 percent. He is expected to play in Tuesday’s 7 p.m. contest at Colorado.

Technically speaking

Technical fouls were called on Jordan Hamilton and J’Covan Brown of Texas and Marcus Morris and Josh Selby of KU. They were apparently for excessive trash-talking.

“To be honest with you, I didn’t think there was one that was deserved,” Self said, “but if you call one, you are going to call something else. I don’t know, but from our standpoint, I don’t think the officials would call something if there wasn’t something said (by players).

“I am not putting it on them (officials) at all, but certainly an emotional game like that, for an official to watch that close on everything that’s being said or exchanged, obviously he (ref Doug Shows) wanted to get control of it (game) and do that.

“I don’t know why Jordan got one. I don’t know why Marcus got one. I don’t know why J’Covan and Josh got those at the end (technical on each for yapping at each other). Gosh dang, I mean, there’s more dialogue with negative with this guy talking to his best friend than some of those things. That’s what they saw so that’s what they called. That didn’t have any impact on the game.”

Stats, facts

KU leads the all-time series, 17-7 ... KU is 123-7 in Allen under Self. ... Self is 7-7 overall versus Texas, 7-5 as KU coach. ... Texas claimed its first victory in Allen against seven defeats. ... Texas’ 11-point victory was KU’s largest margin of defeat since losing to Arizona, 84-67, on Dec. 23, 2008 in Tucson. ... KU opened on a 10-0 run. Texas did not score its first field goal until 15:54. .. KU’s 63 points matched the fewest by the team this season. ... Tyrel Reed’s 17 points marked a career high in a Big 12 game. His five threes made also were a career high. ... Tyshawn Taylor’s six assists matched a career high in a Big 12 game. ... KU made just 26.7 percent of its shots in the second half, which was a season low for a half. ... Texas’ 25 made free throws were most made by a conference foe since Kansas State made 30 on Feb. 7, 2007.

Comments

jayhawkinnebr 3 years, 3 months ago

All we are saying is that, when is it time that Bill is going to relize that Brady is not cutting it and needs to be bench. Many others on here feel the same way that Bill is not playing the correct players that are better than Bubbling Brady. Facts are facts and some people just can't stand it, and will not face it. If your call someone idiot, then you have to know what a idiot is and that says, you have to be the president of the club that you reconize one.

actorman 3 years, 3 months ago

Excellent post, lighthhawk -- heartfelt and well said. One minor quibble: Danny was a sophomore in '86, not a freshman. I know because I was at the second-round heartbreaker against Auburn in '85 when his freshman season ended.

How anyone can rag on the players or coaches for this game is beyond me, given the circumstances. It's one thing to have a well-reasoned criticism like Sybesma, it's another to be nasty and harsh, like those idiots who I refuse to dignify by naming. I guess some of us were never blessed with the compassion gene.

Phoggin_Loud 3 years, 3 months ago

Texas played the better second half and deserved to win.

As disappointing as it is to lose, those guys deserve credit. They came into one of the most hostile environments in college basketball, withstood an early 10 point run, re-grouped, and won by double-digits. It was an outstanding display of mental toughness and determination. I hate losing, but I applaud the Texas basketball team.

Now, KU needs to make sure that 1 loss doesn't turn into multiple losses. Go beat Colorado on Tuesday and get back into the winning mindset.

BewareOfThePhogOnTheWater 3 years, 3 months ago

There were extenuating circumstances surrounding the game yesterday. Our team was awake more than half the night because of the tragedy one of the team members suffered by the loss of their mother after having lost their grandmother and grandfather all within one month. How well could you function on an hour's sleep? It isn't surprising that the team "ran out of gas." Some things in life are far more important than a home winning streak or winning a basketball game. But, that is life, and we have to deal with it. Our thoughts and prayers should be with Thomas Robinson and not posting your negative and bashing comments about this team, any of its players or Coach Self. You know who you are, and all I can say, is shame on you!

God Bless you, T-Rob, your little sister, Coach Self and the entire KU basketball team. The TRUE Jayhawk Nation is here to support you.

Steve Brown 3 years, 3 months ago

Final Four in Dallas when Danny was freshmen we had an awesome team, not sure, maybe 35-3 or the like. We were beating Duke in semi game and Archie goes down with knee injury, already had one surgery and Larry broke down in pain over Archie rolling on the floor while Mike K. used the injury time out to rally his troops and install new strategy. I had pleasure to be at that game, and would have wished a diff. outcome, yet would not trade the Duke loss for any less emotional Coach Brown. Likewise not sure what impact TRob situation had saturday yet would take the loss to UT if it means that we have a 100% heart felt coach in HCBS. not sure if this thread makes sense but had to say it..... I'll say a prayer this evening for mothers and grandmothers every where.

Ed Brown 3 years, 3 months ago

If you look at what we lost last year, what HCBS has to work with this year and what we have accomplished none if it makes sense. I thought the season started with a team of hotshot overachievers but have grown to become a very fine orchestrated team of underachievers. All in all, though, it is amazing what Self has done. I just wish we weren't so spoiled and expected so much. Only 2 undefeated teams left in the country and we are mad it isn't us. Go figure.

jayhawkinnebr 3 years, 3 months ago

The announcers at another game said last night that Ku has a pretty soft schedule, and now it shows. Bill with Brady is the drag on this team. Bill should have been using other players earlier rather then Brady. They are the ones with more talent and need the development, as they are also the future, not Brady as a 5th year senior. I have seen many game of KU over the past 57-64 years or so, and I have never seen a player as a 5th year senior be so bad. Part of the lineup is on Bills shoulders and he is not putting it together in a matter that will produce good results. We could see another fiasco like Bucknell, or Northern Iowa U. due to Bill Self. Might make it to the second round with this lineup, with there dancing shoes on.

Kyle Sybesma 3 years, 3 months ago

I hate to be negative and I know we can't win them all but I have not been comfortable with this team all year. It could be along Big 12 season. The only good game we've played all year was vs Baylor. Remove the stats from all the cupcakes and I'll bet we don't look very good on paper. USC, Arizona, Cal, Michigan, Iowa State, Neb, UCLA, were all close games and only Arizona and UCLA are close locks for the tournament. Our free throws an turnovers have been terrible all year. If the rest of the season goes the way the last 19 games go I ask you to watch how we do with a 4 point lead and an 11 point lead. This is the first team I've felt more comfortable with a 4 point lead rather than an 11 point lead.

With that being said I think we are capable of being a final four team but we've got a lot of little things to work on. Feels good to get that off my chest. Let's take it out on the Buffs. Rock Chalk!!

Martin Rosenblum 3 years, 3 months ago

New article headiline suggestions:

69 Was Hard To Come By

We Can't Get Better Than 69

After We Had 69, It Just Couldn't Get Better

kesmithstl1 3 years, 3 months ago

I was wondering where the haters were! Can someone give me some stats on Self's shooting percentage? Maybe let me know how well Self defended Brown off the dribble? While you're at it, let me know how to get in the heads of 18-23 year old young men, who have just suffered a tragic loss of a teammates mother.

I'm not saying it is against the rules to criticize KU BBall, far from it, but there were several intangibles out of KU's control yesterday that led to their demise. They will bounce back and you haters will be the first one's kissing their asses!

jhwkfan162515 3 years, 3 months ago

This second half was the worst coaching job Self has ever done, bar none.

SDSurferFan 3 years, 3 months ago

I guess this is where some of the naive posters are commenting.

KSA_21_3503 3 years, 3 months ago

"Noted Brady Morningstar, the only Jayhawk player to have experienced another loss in Allen"

Coincidence? no. Kick this loser off the team once and for all.

kuelguapo 3 years, 3 months ago

@SFB - Helps to remember that not everyone is chomping at the bit to play a game at AFH; that makes scheduling a little more difficult.

Robert Rauktis 3 years, 3 months ago

Streak? Load the home schedule with nobodies like usual and the streak will be back alive in no time. Like professional wrestling. Weak schedules favor neither fans nor players. I guess it does support Kansas Athletic's salaries.

Hank Cross 3 years, 3 months ago

Sure that streak meant nothing. That's why Self went into the prevent defense mode for most of the second half, even though it was apparent that apart from the start, KU was having just as much trouble scoring as UT. Then, realizing that the ship is sinking throws in Selby, late and cold from sitting on the bench, hoping for a miracle.

KU_FanSince75 3 years, 3 months ago

The officials didn't affect the game's outcome but crying out loud, they have to use a little restraint on calling T's. Really, come on! It was a physical game, things are going to be said. If that is how they're are going to call games, then, there will be a lot of T's left in the Big 12 season to give. My goodness!