Sunday, February 13, 2011

Angel Morris mothers ailing Thomas Robinson

Tyrel Reed, (14) an injured Thomas Robinson, center and Marcus Morris (22) watch the final minutes of the Jayhawk's 89-66 win over Iowa State Saturday, Feb. 12, 2011 at Allen Fieldhouse.

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

KU coach Bill Self

Kansas coach Bill Self talks to reporters following the Jayhawks' 89-66 victory over Iowa State on Feb. 12, 2011.

Download podcast

Videos

KU vs. Iowa State

video thumbnail

Kansas defeated Iowa State on Saturday, Feb. 12, 2011 at Allen Fieldhouse.

Thomasine “Angel” Morris provided some tender, loving care to a fallen Kansas University basketball player Friday afternoon.

She drove her vehicle to the surgeon’s office to pick up woozy sophomore forward Thomas Robinson, who’d undergone a procedure to repair a meniscus tear in his right knee.

“I took him to the house. I made him some soup, made sure he got his medicine, checked to see if there was anything he needed,” Angel Morris, mother of KU’s Morris twins, said. “After that he woke up, his teammates came over and had a good time. He went home, woke up today and felt better.”

Angel Morris and some of the other mothers of KU players who live in Lawrence have watched over Robinson lately.

Robinson’s mom, Lisa, died on Jan. 21 of an apparent heart attack in Washington, D.C.

“Thomas is a strong kid and a good kid. We talked about it last night: ‘It’s another situation you have to get through,’” Angel Morris said of Robinson’s surgery, which should keep the 6-foot-9, 237-pounder out of action just a couple of weeks.

“He went in like a soldier, came out, got some soup, got some rest and basically now is back to normal. To me, it’s like a minor surgery. To me, kids bounce back faster than adults do. In the next couple weeks, I think Thomas Robinson will be back on the court better than ever.”

Angel Morris, like everybody in KU’s extended basketball family, was saddened at the passing of Lisa Robinson. Angel, with the NCAA’s blessing, was allowed to travel to Washington with KU director of basketball operations Barry Hinson to help plan the funeral.

“It was heartbreaking because I knew Lisa,” Angel Morris said. “I got to meet Lisa because I’m from D.C., like she is. I got to meet her in New York (for this year’s KU-Memphis game on Dec. 7) and at Temple last year.

“She’s a good girl, a good parent. She’s young. It’s a sad situation, but you can’t say, ‘Move on (to Thomas),’ because that’s your mom. You are always going to think about your mom. Thomas is still sad about it. He still knows he has to do well for his sister, his brother and also himself.”

Angel Morris downplayed her role in helping out in D.C.

“I think I did what any other parent would have done,” Angel said. “I’d say the funeral wouldn’t have gone on without coach Hinson. He’s a great person.”

In addition ... “All the mothers are fantastic. They are pitching in,” she reported. “They didn’t know Thomas was getting surgery. When they found out, I got a bunch of texts concerned about him, seeing if there’s anything he needs and if they could be of any help.”

Her sons Marcus and Markieff are KU’s top two scorers and rebounders in their junior campaigns.

“I am very proud of Marcus and Markieff,” Angel Morris said after watching Marcus hit for 16 points and 11 rebounds and Markieff 14 points and 11 boards in a 89-66 rout of Iowa State. “They are developing real well, growing into nice young men (and) doing a good job on the court as well.”

They’ve come a long way since their freshmen campaigns.

“I think they were scared of Kansas,” Angel Morris said. “Kansas scared them to death because they were freshmen. Now that they are used to Kansas they can play basketball like they did in high school.”

She was asked what to tell KU fans who’d like the duo to stay for their senior seasons and put the NBA on hold for just a while longer.

“I would tell the fans, ‘Hold on,’ because I’m hoping they’ll be around another year,” she said with a laugh.

Comments

Larry Smith 3 years, 5 months ago

Nice job Angel. Keep up the good work, see you next week.

murph 3 years, 5 months ago

I'm glad to hear she's looking after him. One of the first things I thought when I heard he had surgery was, "Poor kid - he'll really miss his mother now..." Surgery is a stressful experience - I'm glad he had a "mom" with him.

GridironHawk 3 years, 5 months ago

Her greatest job might be convincing her sons they need another year of college bbabll and Coach Self under their belts before they bolt for the NBA and make millions (though I don't think many people could argue if they left this year). They still have some growing up to do but so do many players in the NBA... Here's to hoping they stay. KU will be unstoppable if they are back for their senior years along side a matured sophomore named Selby...

REHawk 3 years, 5 months ago

Just imagine how high the twins could climb in the Jayhawk record books in scoring and rebounding categories, even blocks, if they stayed for the 4th year. If they should escalate to lottery status, they might have to move on in order to protect their future earning power. However, if further back in the first round, they might help themselves bigtime by staying in the program. Mrs. Morris and her sons appear to be quite happily situated in Lawrence. Sportscasters and writers are beginning to view Marcus and Markieff as among the greatest twins ever to play college basketball. In another season they just might become the face of Division One NCAA Hoops. Is terrific that team mothers are stepping up to help Thomas. What a year he has experienced! His situation has cast a blanket of warmth and solidarity over players, coaches and fans. Here's hoping he mends quickly to resume the remarkable play which we have seen since his return from D.C.

ilovebill 3 years, 5 months ago

Thank you so much, Angel, for taking care of Thomas. You ARE an Angel!

madamhawk 3 years, 5 months ago

Thomasine "Angel" Morris = Thomas' Angel. The Lord does work in mysterious ways. Coincidence, no. Destiny and fate has brought them all to Lawrence for a reason.

God Bless to all!

KU1965 3 years, 5 months ago

Very well said. Best wishes for a speedy recovery to all of our injured players.

Jocelyn Kennedy 3 years, 5 months ago

Thank you, Angel. As a mom, it makes me feel better knowing so many of you moms are watching out for him. And thank you for the wonderful job you have done with your boys - I'm so proud to call them Jayhawks! ONE MORE YEAR!!

lincase 3 years, 5 months ago

Thanks from all of us. You really are a "guardian Angel".

jhox 3 years, 5 months ago

For selfish reasons, of course, I'd love to have the twins back one more year but the reality is they're ready for the NBA now. I believe Marcus has a very good chance to be the best NBA player to come out of KU since Paul Pierce. I'll be shocked if he doesn't go in the top 5 if he comes out this year.

If they do come back, the one milestone they could maybe achieve, that would be very cool, would be for both of them to be first team All Americans. How great would it be to see Mc. Morris and Mk. Morris jerseys hanging side by side in the rafters? (Not to mention a couple of additional National Chapionship banners.)

Thanks, Angel, for helping to look after Thomas. KU is very fortunate to have such great Mother figures living in Lawrence to help support him during this difficult time.

lee3022 3 years, 5 months ago

The Draft Express folks seem to do pretty well each year in projecting the draft. Currently they are mocked at 16 and 28. This is generally regarded as a weak draft class and a strong showing in the tournament could vault them both up as much as 8-10 positions. In 2006 Tyrus Thomas was a relatively unknown but played well for LSU in March and was chosen 4th in the draft. So it can happen.(Thomas has generally been a disappointment in the NBA),

ahpersecoachingexperience 3 years, 5 months ago

Angel. . . Sounds about right. And didn't Ty's mom offer to take T-robs sister in? What a great bunch of parents we have on this team (ticket scalping excluded). Proud to be apart of jayhawk nation.

Side note, angel smack your sons in the back of the head next time they get a "t"

Steve Brown 3 years, 5 months ago

recruiting good players like the twins is nice, recruiting great mom's like Angel is critical.

KU1965 3 years, 5 months ago

DDDHawk 3 years, 5 months ago

Angel- Thank you so much for being there for Thomas, and please pass on our thanks to all of the other mothers and the players and coaches for all they have done. How lucky he is! And the part of the article about you wanting to see your sons stay another year was music to my ears! KU fans get attached to our team members, and want to see them stay for as long as we can!

Woody Cragg 3 years, 5 months ago

Keep voting for Reed-he's up 10% & on the way to win the Sr Class Award.

Clarence Haynes 3 years, 5 months ago

Angel Morris.... Mother of the Year!

McHawk 3 years, 5 months ago

God bless Angel Morris and all the KU family. Reading all these posts really makes me feel good. Thanks to all!!

jcourt 3 years, 5 months ago

When this is all said and done and We go on and win another Championship, Coach ought to put Angel's banner up there in the rafters.

Clydecito 3 years, 5 months ago

F.O.E. Love this KU family and hope they all stay. Thanks to Angel for actually being one. And a pretty damn good Mom too. Rock Chalk.

slowplay 3 years, 5 months ago

Nice article. It's great to have a mom like Angel being a surrogate for TRob. Speaking of the twins going to the NBA. Check out the most popular draft boards. I haven't seen any that has Marcus as a top 15. In some cases Selby is rated higher. Markieff is around the mid 20's. My guess is that most of the boards haven't been updated in awhile as both twins are looking like top 10's. That said, if Angel would like to see them back for one more year, odds are they will stay.

KEITHMILES05 3 years, 5 months ago

What other players parents are in Lawrence besides Tyshawn's and Brady's?

Jeffery Barrett 3 years, 5 months ago

Do they have to be IN Lawrence to help out. Maybe they come in for the weekend or for games. She was probably talking about Bradys & Tyrels moms anyway. You are probably the only one who focused on that one comment, congratulations.

Funhawk 3 years, 5 months ago

Great, inspiring article. Wonder who wrote it, if it was someone not on the LJW staff. There's probably a story behind mom's name, Angel. Is Angel up for adoption? If so, can she be our Jayhawk adopted mom this year? Now it would be fun to see a story about Tyshawn's mom.

JHWK 3 years, 5 months ago

The sixth 'man' of the year award for Kansas Basketball should go to the mothers like Angel of the other players who have been here for TRob this year!

Thank you, Angel, from the bottom of my heart!!

Rock Chalk!

Rockchalk_Mom 3 years, 5 months ago

Does anyone know if the twins have any other siblings living at home?

hopsnhawks 3 years, 5 months ago

thanks for keeping these kids safe and sound Angel, this team is quickly becoming on of my favorites in the long history

gchawk 3 years, 5 months ago

Certainly sounds like you're named appropriately. Thanks for all the TLC you've been giving. Assists seem to run in your family.

KU_FanSince75 3 years, 5 months ago

What a sweet person/mom/Angel she is to comfort Thomas. Great story and I know HCBS appreciates all the kind gestures that moms do for the players. Rock Chalk Jayhawk----KU Nation Rocks!

jayhawktalk 3 years, 5 months ago

Does KU have a parents' appreciation night, Sr. Night aside? I think I speak for pretty much everyone when I say, these ladies and I am sure some dads, as well, deserve a standing ovation while they stand at center court.

It would be so much fun to meet them in person to say thanks. Keep these kinds of articles coming. I always feel these guys are part of my family, so love getting to know more about their real families. It gives me just that much more to love about the Jayhawks.

AverageCitizen 3 years, 5 months ago

Angel will get a parent appreciation night on Senior Night !

Martin Rosenblum 3 years, 5 months ago

It would be a real coup for her to be honored at Senior night. Firstly, because she deserves as much recognition as any other parent of twins who have accomplished what her's have so far. Secondly, because of her involvement with TRob and his woes. Thirdly and most selfishly, because it would mean that the twins both stayed through their senior year!

jayhawktalk 3 years, 5 months ago

I specifically said Sr. Night aside. Sr. night honors the parents indirectly, but it is still really about the players, and it is a small group. It would be cool to see something specifically honoring all these great parents once a year. I don't know of any other school that honors parents in this way.

Tony Bandle 3 years, 5 months ago

I sure hope Angel meets every recruit's Mom who comes to visit Kansas. Maybe we should just keep her here even after the twins move on!! :)

Paul Rupp 3 years, 5 months ago

Agreed Oakville---this great article, and the comments, suggests that we are "recruiting" Great Moms'--gives true meaning to the oft-mentioned "Jayhawk Family". Angel (and the other Moms) need a jersey in the rafters! Angel---after your boys launch into the NBA, can you stay and be our team's Mom? I'm hoping like heck these Jayhawks come visit me in Houston in a couple of months. But no matter what happens, this year is my proudest ever to be a Jayhawk! RCJK.

skwahjayog 3 years, 5 months ago

Hey, fellow Jayhawks,

I have a huge favor to ask. I'm taking an Advanced Technology in Education graduate course, and my assignment for this week (due by midnight tonight) is to create a blog. I thought it would be fun to make a KU basketball blog.

It would make my day (and grade!) if you visit the site (mrlippoldt.weebly.com) and respond to one or two of the questions. Sorry that they are generic questions, but at this point, I just have to get the project done. Hey, while you're there, take a look at my "Egg to Chick" webquest for last week's assignment. Thanks!!!!!

Dirk Medema 3 years, 5 months ago

Sounds like Danny's mom - the reason he came back and led us to the NC. The degree is forever.

CRIMSONnBLUE 3 years, 5 months ago

They are not staying another year. Self will tell them it's the right time to go and push them out the door. He cares about his players. Risking injury and turning down millions of dollars to stay in school when they are clearly going to transition well into the NBA is not something Bill Self would advise. If it were football though... totally different story.

Chris Bruning 3 years, 5 months ago

CrimsonnBlue. agree with you about self. Fortunately (and not suprisingly) all of our sophs and juniors LOVE being KU jayhawks. I think we see another cole and sherron, with t-rob and twins, lets come back and win this thing together........

Sally Presson 3 years, 5 months ago

God bless you Angel!!! You are an angel, we're not only lucky to have your boys, but we're lucky to have you. thanks for taking such good care of Thomas!