Sunday, February 13, 2011

Keegan

Jayhawks good, entertaining, too

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

KU coach Bill Self

Kansas coach Bill Self talks to reporters following the Jayhawks' 89-66 victory over Iowa State on Feb. 12, 2011.

Download podcast

Videos

KU vs. Iowa State

video thumbnail

Kansas defeated Iowa State on Saturday, Feb. 12, 2011 at Allen Fieldhouse.

Less than a year ago, as he was discussing in his plush office what he looks for in players when deciding whether to offer them a scholarship, Kansas University basketball coach Bill Self addressed the human aspect of the athletes.

“What fits me are personalities,” Self said. “I don’t like coaching duds, I’ll be the first to tell you. Give me a guy you can joke with and have some fun with. That’s one reason I love coaching the twins. They’re really funny. They’ll say things during games that crack me up. I like guys with personality and (who) are a little rough around the edges.”

Sometimes, the Morris twins and Tyshawn Taylor, the liveliest personalities on a colorful team, even say funny things during postgame news conferences. Saturday, after a ho-hum, 89-66 obliteration of Iowa State, was one such day.

They’re never dull, which usually, not always, but usually, is a good thing that adds to their appeal.

The line of questioning had just turned to Monday’s trip to Manhattan to take on Kansas State, a basketball team that transformed into a drama-packed reality show somewhere along the way, rife with suspensions and defections. Taylor was asked: Has he followed the drama?

“I mean, I’m not like on my computer looking it up, but it’s on ESPN a lot, so I see it, and I notice it. People tell us about it, so it’s hard not to know what’s going on, but I mean, my name scrolled across the bottom of ESPN a couple times, too, so I mean, they’ll be fine,” Taylor said with a smile, remembering his days of football fights and Facebook posts. “They’re going through some stuff like most teams do.”

He showed he can laugh at himself and wasn’t about to laugh at K-State for what it has experienced just one season after making it to the Elite Eight with underclassmen doing most of the heavy lifting.

Taylor had reason to be in such a light-hearted mood. He had just played a terrific game, preventing Iowa State star Diante Garrett from penetrating and basically making him a complete nonfactor. Unlike in his previous two games, Taylor also stopped rushing his floater shots and produced 14 points on 6-of-11 shooting, four of the misses on three-pointers.

Marcus Morris, fresh off a dominant, stat-stuffing performance that included 16 points and 11 rebounds, also entertained the audience during the postgame media session. He teamed with Kansas State star Jacob Pullen on a national team during the summer, forming a friendship that has led them to stay in regular contact.

“He’s just a good friend,” Marcus said of Pullen. “We talk about our years. We talk about our coaches.”

At that point, Morris tried and failed to contain his laughter. Some, but not all, of his mischievous grin was inspired by the image of volcanic K-State coach Frank Martin popping into his head.

“We talk about a lot of stuff,” Morris continued. “I don’t say anything bad. But I just talk about his coaches. He talks about how Frank is. I talk about the difference between them (Martin and Self). We just compare our coaches. I tell him coach (Self) just doesn’t do it as much on the court as Frank does. Frank is just so emotional on the court, but coach Self, he waits until we get behind closed doors. That’s when he do what he do.”

The next voice belonged to press-conference moderator Chris Theisen, the athletic department’s sports information director.

“All right guys, thanks so much,” Theisen said, signaling the end to the session.

Whatever it is Self does “when he do what he do,” with colorful language delivered at high volume, it works. For the first time this season, Kansas likely will be ranked No. 1 when the polls are released Monday, putting an end to Ohio State’s four-week run that followed Duke’s 10-week stay on top.

Kansas (24-1) spent most of last season ranked No. 1 in the nation and then lost its best player, Sherron Collins, plus a pair of NBA lottery selections, Cole Aldrich and Xavier Henry. KU is 57-4 in the past two seasons, a record compiled using just one player (Collins in 36 of those games) who played more than four minutes of the 45-minute national-title victory against Memphis in 2008. That’s no joke.

Comments

REHawk 3 years, 5 months ago

Whatever it is that he do when he do what he do behind those closed doors, he certainly do it mighty damn well.

mojayhawk 3 years, 5 months ago

Ah........, remembering Sherron in '08 Title game. 4 minutes? Really? Without those 4 minutes, we would have been #2.

Now, '11 gang. Keep on doin' what YOU do.

oldalum 3 years, 5 months ago

That was sort of a tough sentence to follow, but what he said was that Sherron was the only remaining player who played MORE than 4 minutes in the title game.

LAJayhawk 3 years, 5 months ago

Cole played 4 minutes in the Championship game. Collins was the only guy in the 57-4 stretch that played MORE than 4 minutes in that game.

It's a rather convoluted sentence.

jayhawk1866 3 years, 5 months ago

I love to see TT's great attitude. Hopefully his commitment to defense stays with him for the rest of the year. I don't worry about his shot falling. It will fall. As long as he takes good shots I am happy. I think he has been taking good shots. I know a lot of people think his floater is a bad shot, but it is not. It can be a little guys best friend. Plus....if he is shooting floaters... he is in the lane. That is good. That tends to lead to dunks for T-Rob, and the Twins.

AsadZ 3 years, 5 months ago

This is classic.

Funhawk 3 years, 5 months ago

Very nice. One of the best. The article shows that our players are more than basketball players. The article shows Jayhawks with a lot of fun personality.

Jonathan Allison 3 years, 5 months ago

I like your posts Fun.

I like your photo too, Sherron was fun to watch.

KU_FanSince75 3 years, 5 months ago

Talk about goofy players----Cole Adrich comes to mind with his not so toothy smile. 316----it's your avatar. Love those type of players. Nice article, Keegan.

Tony Bandle 3 years, 5 months ago

he do what he do

let me repeat it to you

he do what he do

[Funniest Haiku Ever!!!!]

Funhawk 3 years, 5 months ago

As far as singular and plural, nouns and verbs, "He do what he do" is similar to "you do what you do." Why don't people on here laugh when you hear, "You do what you do." Its the same noun and verb usage as "he do what he do." Both nouns are singular. Some times English grammar does not make sense. I am siding with Marcus on this one, but I'm sure an English major has a better explanation.

What actually struck me more was Marcus calling the KSU coach "Frank." Imagine the Jayhawk players referring to their coach as Bill.

Perhaps we copy what we hear other people say, just like KSU players call their coach "Frank," so did Marcus. That to me was more funny than "he do."

TopCityHawk 3 years, 5 months ago

KSU players have notoriously referred to their coach as "Frank". It's kind of ironic that he attempts to come across as such a dictator, and then allows his players to call him by his first name. I don't get it, and never will.

brewmaster 3 years, 5 months ago

skwahjayog 3 years, 5 months ago

Hey, fellow Jayhawks,

I have a huge favor to ask. I'm taking an Advanced Technology in Education graduate course, and my assignment for this week (due by midnight tonight) is to create a blog. I thought it would be fun to make a KU basketball blog.

It would make my day (and grade!) if you visit the site (mrlippoldt.weebly.com) and respond to one or two of the questions. Sorry that they are generic questions, but at this point, I just have to get the project done. Hey, while you're there, take a look at my "Egg to Chick" webquest for my 1st graders--last week's assignment. Thanks!!!!!

AsadZ 3 years, 5 months ago

Scott, Really like your site. Very happy to see it. All the best.

skwahjayog 3 years, 5 months ago

Asad, thanks so much! Thanks for posting--I'm really enjoying reading the well thought out responses. I haven't figured out yet how to reply to the comments, though, as that would be fun for me. Thanks for supporting a fellow Jayhawk!

63Jayhawk 3 years, 5 months ago

Seems like there ought to be a Dr. Suess book, "He do what he do".

Martin Rosenblum 3 years, 5 months ago

In Manhattan.....

We are KU, we do what we do!

It'll be a Vanentines Day Massacre!!

Martin Rosenblum 3 years, 5 months ago

Uhh, make that Valentines Day Massacre!

Kyle Sybesma 3 years, 5 months ago

I hadn't been optimistic about this team but it finally started clicking for them when they hammered KSU. It doesn't even matter if we're missing a player. 3 pt shooting is better, ball movement is better, defense has always been good, turnovers are down. Just need to improve free throws and fast breaks. I'd say Texas is the only team playing as well as we are and I think we'll get another shot at them in KC.