Well-rounded effort gives Tyshawn Taylor top honor

1. Tyshawn Taylor: Played strong defense on Diante Garrett, turning him into a complete non-factor by not letting him penetrate. Taylor also took his time shooting floaters and ran the offense in tidy fashion for an all-around productive day that included 14 points, six assists and just one turnover.

2. Markieff Morris: Had 14 points, 11 rebounds, six assists, two blocked shots and a steal. You have to love the way he routinely hits the deck for loose balls.

3. Marcus Morris: Solid contender for Big 12 Player of the Year honors played an efficient game and led the team in scoring (16 points) and rebounding (11). Made just 1 of 4 three-point shots and is in a 4-for-17 stretch. “I’m going to continue to shoot it because I think going down the road I’m going to need make threes,” Marcus said. Can’t argue with that approach.

4. Brady Morningstar: Continued his streak of hot shooting by making 3 of 4 three-point shots, fed the post with skill and finished with 13 points, four rebounds, three assists and two steals.

5. Tyrel Reed: Didn’t turn it over and had nine points, six boards, three steals and a blocked shot.

6. Jeff Withey: Plays his best games against Iowa State. In nine minutes, he had eight points and two blocked shots, but didn’t look too strong in trying to establish position down low and grabbed just two rebounds.

7. Mario LIttle: A little too eager to shoot, Little made 2 of 7 field goals, but did make all four free throws and came up with two steals to go with eight points.

8. Elijah Johnson: In 16 minutes he had five points, two assists and a turnover on a bounce-pass he badly telegraphed.

9. Travis Releford: Still not 100 percent from ankle sprain and it shows.

10. Royce Woolridge: Checked into the game late and grabbed a rebound. The Keegan Ratings: Season Standings
1. Marcus Morris (204 points)
2. Markieff Morris (193 points)
3. Tyshawn Taylor (165 points)
4. Thomas Robinson (146 points)
5. Tyrel Reed (142 points)
6. Brady Morningstar (139 points)
7. Josh Selby (89 points)
8. Travis Releford (86 points)
9. Mario Little (81 points)
10. Elijah Johnson (71 points)
11. Jeff Withey (48 points)
12. Royce Woolridge (5 points)

The Keegan Ratings: Big 12 standings
1. Marcus Morris (87 points)
2. Markieff Morris (77 points)
3. Brady Morningstar (73 points)
4. Tyrel Reed (60 points)
5. Tyshawn Taylor (56 points)
6. Thomas Robinson (52 points)
7. Mario Little (47 points)
8. Josh Selby (42 points)
9. Elijah Johnson (21 points)
T10. Travis Releford (15 points)
T10. Jeff Withey (15 points)
12. Royce Woolridge (1 point)

Comments

Doug Merrill 3 years, 10 months ago

Great response by T Taylor to the verbal boost coach is giving him in the press and the likely harder push he is getting in practice. Much more patient this game and it showed. He backed up on the court his statement to the media that he was going to put more effort into defense - we'll need him to keep being patient and tough on defense if we are to win in March (and April), so this game was encouraging.

Kevin Studer 3 years, 10 months ago

Nice work by Taylor and Morningstar. The guards played a really outstanding game.

Kevin Studer 3 years, 10 months ago

kureignman 3 years, 10 months ago

I've got no real problem with TT being number 1 but I definitely thought Markieff would have the top spot. He had as many asssits as him to go along with another double double.

jeffred1 3 years, 10 months ago

Anybody who watch the game live, you could see that Iowa state left taylor open for most of the game. I dont know the stats off hand but from what I saw he was around 2 for 6 for three, with wide open shots. He is sherron all over again without the shot. Hopefully by tournament time selby is starting over him.

JRandall 3 years, 10 months ago

Thanks for your ratings so far... season and big 12 play. It is interesting and I would love to see how HCBS has the players rated up to this point. I think KU is playing some of their best BBall right now, and from the broadcast, it seems that a lot of announcers are thinking the same thing. The line-up of Reed, Morningstar, Taylor and Morris twins just seems to be the most consistent, best at passing to the post.. and best at not turning the ball over. I have not ever been a huge fan of TT's but he had a good game today and I guess at this point, he is KU's point guard. I hope Self does not feel pressured to put Selby back in the starting line up once his foot is better. KU played better ball at the beginning of the year when he was sitting out and playing better "TEAM" ball now without him. He is a tremendous player, but should be a role player at this point in his career. Not sure he is capable of taking a role player mentality as a built up Frosh. He tries to do too much and just makes some bad decisions.

kstanfield 3 years, 10 months ago

Thinking tyshon might be the craziest talent KU has that is not recognized as that guy yet. Also noticing some sort of recent move by Morningstar. Is that just me or does it seem like he's playing amazing lately?

kstanfield 3 years, 10 months ago

Completely agree with the last guy. Selby is not a starter. The team plays worse when he starts, but he is a good player and will be a premier player. Hope Self keeps it simple with the core group.

slowplay 3 years, 10 months ago

Before Selby was injured he was the best perimeter player KU had. I have no idea how you came up with "The team plays worse when he starts,". That said, Morningstar has really elevated his game, it will be interesting to see how HCBS rotates the four guards. It all reality it shouldn't make any difference, but if Reed's foot is a chronic problem, he may be the odd man out as far as starters go.

kureignman 3 years, 10 months ago

If you pay attention to Jesse's posts you'll see that we've had 6 great offensive games in a row. Selby was starting in the first 3 of those. We've done well without him but you cannot make the claim that we were worse when he was starting.

milehighhawk 3 years, 10 months ago

Because of eligibility issues, suspensions, bereavement and injuries...I think it would be interesting to have a third column that would give average rankings for games in which that player actually played.

Kye Clark 3 years, 10 months ago

I was thinking the same thing late last night when looking at the list. I started to do it myself, then thought "nah, it's late, go to bed!"

Kye Clark 3 years, 10 months ago

Oh, I also was unsure of how Keegan assigned the points. Like in a game where only 9 players play does the top player get 9 points, yet in a blowout where maybe 10 or 11 players play does he give the top player 10 or 11 points? To me that wouldn't be a very good system, as it would seem to punish the players who earned the top spot in tighter games because Self keeps his rotation to a minimum, yet rewards players who earn the top spot in blowout games and Royce Woolridge gets in the game, thus giving the top player another point. Again, I'm not sure if this is how the system works...anyone know for sure? Keegs?

Greg Lux 3 years, 10 months ago

I don't envy HCBS's job the next few weeks. He has a #1 rated recruit who has never played to his potential yet. He has a team that is clicking on all cylinders. He can't hardly sit Josh and he can't play him unless he is well or playing to his potential. I guess coach is a little frustrated that Josh is not pushing himself to play on his sore ankle. Coach knows the longer it goes the shorter the time for Josh to fit into the system and his teammates trust. I have already seen times where they won't give him the ball and I am afraid it will just get worse unless he proves he wants to be a part of this team ( push the pain and get out there and practice - every player sometime in the season deals with pain most play through it ). Josh is young and needs a little push to get back into the game ( MOM !!! we need your help here ). Someone needs to help this young man to understand he is not going to get drafted into the league sitting on the bench. Trust me the NBA does enough babysitting as it is, they don't want to start out with a baby. Josh is going to have to prove he can play with pain or they are not going to spend millions on his "potential".

Time to bring it Josh - Rock Chalk

slowplay 3 years, 10 months ago

Selby was hitting his stride when he injured is foot. The last 3 games he played he had 43 pts, was 8/13 behind the arc and 13 ast's to 7 to's. Add in 12 rebounds and 2 steals while only playing 24-26 min. and you have a very, very solid guard.

itcfan 3 years, 10 months ago

I hope TT the very best. He needs to hire an agent as soon as the season is over.