Sunday, February 13, 2011

VIP Bill Bradley in fieldhouse

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

KU coach Bill Self

Kansas coach Bill Self talks to reporters following the Jayhawks' 89-66 victory over Iowa State on Feb. 12, 2011.

Download podcast

Videos

KU vs. Iowa State

video thumbnail

Kansas defeated Iowa State on Saturday, Feb. 12, 2011 at Allen Fieldhouse.

Former three-term U.S. Senator Bill Bradley spoke to the Jayhawks before the game. He attended as guest of KU graduate David Booth.

“He was so smooth, and his message was really right on,” KU coach Bill Self said of the former New York Knicks player and U.S. basketball Olympian. “He had our guys’ attention when talking about Game Seven (in Finals) with Willis (Reed) limping out, tying that into being a good teammate and what makes teams, using basketball as a vehicle to enhance your life.”

Speaking as halftime guest on the Jayhawk Radio Network, Bradley revealed it was his first game in Allen.

“It’s quite exciting. I like the enthusiasm and spirit in here. It’s unbelievable,” Bradley said.

Other faces in crowd: Former KU players Eric Chenowith and Christian Moody and Wichita Heights junior standout Perry Ellis.

Selby update

Self said “no” when asked if he thought Josh Selby (stress reaction in his right foot) would play Monday night at Kansas State.

“If he can’t practice full-speed yesterday and can’t play today, then I don’t see how you can get better in one day,” Self said. “A lot is between his ears, too, in that it’s not going to feel good. He’s very tender, sore, but he’s not as injured as what it feels. He has a severely sprained ankle. It hurts to walk on it. You have to somehow fight through that a little bit.”

Self said he would not play Selby until he shows in practice he can play effectively despite the discomfort.

“Hopefully it’ll be better sooner rather than later and he can be full-speed in the next week or so. We’re disappointed because he doesn’t feel as good as what we anticipated him feeling so far,” Self said.

Robinson update

Self said Thomas Robinson, who had surgery to repair a torn meniscus in his right knee Friday, would not be able to work on the stationary bike for a week until the sutures are removed. “It’ll be two weeks before he’s playing in games,” Self said.

Self said Robinson and Selby will need to be “full-speed a couple of weeks prior to the postseason so that way we can be in rhythm. You have to have confidence, and our rotation is pretty good now. That could disrupt our rotation. I don’t want the injuries and when they come back to take away from the way we are playing now. It may be a little bit of a challenge because those guys need minutes, they need to get in the game, they need to get some confidence and momentum moving forward, not at the risk of us not playing as well.”

Stats, facts

Iowa State’s 14 three-point field goals are the most by a KU opponent since Texas’ 14 on March 3, 2007. The Cyclones 32 three-point attempts are the most since Oklahoma State’s 32 on Feb. 7, 2009.... ISU’s two free throws made are fewest in a conference game since Kansas State made one charity on Feb. 22, 1992. The Cyclones’ two attempts are the fewest in a game since at least the 1988-89 season. KU’s seven fouls committed were the fewest since at least the 1988-89 season, while the 19 combined fouls between the two teams are also the fewest in the same time period.

Comments

Kevin Studer 6 years, 9 months ago

I really hope Ellis's frequent trips to the Fieldhouse point to some level of inevitability that he will sign with KU. I can't think of any better place to play if you are a multi-tooled big man. (He's got to love watching what the twins are doing, right?)

Robert Brock 6 years, 9 months ago

Ellis has several good schools on his list. The fact that he visits KU frequently does not suggest the inevitability of his commitment, IMO.

milehighhawk 6 years, 9 months ago

It may not be "inevitable" but I think it's safe to assume he likes what he sees if he keeps returning.

Once that seed is planted, it's tough to forget. When you couple that with his proximity & being able to visit friends/family in a matter of hours...I like our chances.

He's gotta be impressed with the slew of NBA-quality bigs Self & Manning have developed/produced recently as well.

KU_FanSince75 6 years, 9 months ago

Just curious----can the twins talk to Perry Ellis, or is that against NCAA rules?

Michael Luby 6 years, 9 months ago

It is just me or does Perry look alot like Joakim Noah, Bulls C.

Steve Brown 6 years, 9 months ago

When fresh became eligible we noticed a frequsnt soph. jynx and thought it odd so many went thru it. They were no longer the heralded recruit freshman darling and not quite an upper classman, no matter the stellar talent, and so I wonder if Josh is having his soph. cloud about now.

KEITHMILES05 6 years, 9 months ago

Ellis appears close to the team as I have seen him and Josh exchange hugs prior to the game. He's also shook hands with some of the other guys. That's part of the process seeing how to fit in with the team on all levels.

Woody Cragg 6 years, 9 months ago

Old school notes: I watched game 7 with Bradley, Frazier & Reed taking down the Big Dipper & the Lakers. Don't know much about BB's ploitical career but he was one hellvua ball player. Long, lean & could shoot & handle the ball like Havlicek. Years later I appreciated Bradley & Reed alot more but was POed when the won it that year. I was still grieving about the KU loss to UTEP in the semis in 66'. Wow it took 22 yrs to win the NC after that. When it happens you really gotta savor it. Wilt, JoJo, Wesley-all in the rafters at Allen. We don't just live history here, we make history at KU. This yrs team will, last yrs team did, & next years team as well. We hoops fans here got a Damn good life!

Al Martin 6 years, 9 months ago

Back when he was running for president, Bradley had one of my all-time favorite political quotes: “How should we Democrats select the next presidential nominee? Smoke filled rooms? Brokered convention? National primary? Personally, I prefer jump shots from the top of the key.”

David Lara 6 years, 9 months ago

Yes. I loved Bradley in his campaign for the white house. Had great ideas, personality, sense of humor. His sports background was icing on the cake. I certainly would have voted for him instead of that Boob Al Gore.

Scott Lippoldt 6 years, 9 months ago

Hey, fellow Jayhawks,

I have a huge favor to ask. I'm taking an Advanced Technology in Education graduate course, and my assignment for this week (due by midnight tonight) is to create a blog. I thought it would be fun to make a KU basketball blog.

It would make my day (and grade!) if you visit the site (mrlippoldt.weebly.com) and respond to one or two of the questions. Sorry that they are generic questions, but at this point, I just have to get the project done. Hey, while you're there, take a look at my "Egg to Chick" webquest for last week's assignment. Thanks!!!!!

REHawk 6 years, 9 months ago

Sounds more than somewhat as if Coach might be lighting a fire under Josh to play through pain and get himself back into gameshape. I imagine that Tyrel is doing that very thing daily, considering his heel bruise. Also, I sense an urgent message to TRob to keep his focus upon doing everyting possible to hurry his return to practice, as soon as doctors clear him to do so. Unfortunately, the clock winds down for this season's preparation for tournament play. Soon, there will be little time or opportunity for currently hobbled players to blend smoothly with teammates, and to prove in practice settings that they can be counted upon for meaningful game minutes without adversely affecting team rhythm.

Paul Mitten 6 years, 9 months ago

I get that people get really into recruiting but I wish that people would sometimes acknowledge the subject of an article first, especially when it involves a true model like Bill Bradley having a chat with the kids. He had an amazing college career (dumped 58 points on Wichita St. in the FInal Four!), served in the armed forces, won two NBA titles (the only two the Knicks have ever won), had a very illustrious political career, and, in a different world, might have been president. Whether or not you believe in his ideologies or whatever, we should be thrilled that Mr. Bradley spoke to them because let's face it, he's a better role model than Wilt Chamberlain, Michael Jordan, or any of these guys will ever be.

captku 6 years, 9 months ago

Did I read that right? First time in AFH? Wow, guess the guy has been busy since he left ... I guess.