Friday, April 15, 2011

Keegan

NBA riches await Josh Selby

Josh Selby will hear his name called when the NBA holds its draft.

Why?

You’re asking the wrong guy.

But he will. Bank on it. Maybe even in the first round. Brace yourself: He might even be a lottery pick.

Why?

Beats me.

What has he done to merit an NBA uniform?

Well, nothing, but as we’ve all heard a billion times, the NBA drafts on potential. Fine, but guys drafted on potential have loud, exciting tools. They’re phenomenal jumpers or remarkably quick or insane shooters or they have great size or they’re lock-down defenders. This is where I confess to being lost.

And this was how one NBA insider who spoke on the condition of anonymity articulated what I’m missing about Selby’s potential.

“His athleticism, his speed,” John Doe said. “He can defend a one or a two. His upside is unlimited. I like his size, and he has an athletic body.”

Teammates painted a different picture of Selby the athlete in practice than the guy the rest of us saw playing in games, so often seemingly on the periphery of the action. This next quote from Mr. Doe blew me away.

“He’s going to go to one-on-one workouts and freak people out with his athleticism,” he said.

From my seat in Section 13A, Tyshawn Taylor looked a good deal quicker and Elijah Johnson far more vertically explosive.

Then again, I’m not even smart enough to know how ticket consultant Thomas Blubaugh could be getting paid $115,000 a year by the athletic department when director Lew Perkins didn’t know he was on the payroll. Nor am I smart enough to know how women’s basketball coach Bonnie Henrickson two years ago could have been given an extension without getting the team to the NCAA Tournament, a pact so lucrative the school has her under contract for three more years for about $1.9 million.

Anyway, back to Selby. Joe Abunassar, owner and lead trainer for Impact Basketball in Las Vegas, did a nice job of trying to clear up the mystery.

“Probably the closest comparison I can make is Monta Ellis,” Abunassar told Andy Samuelson, who interviewed him Wednesday for the Journal-World. “I trained him for the draft. Josh has a combination of skills, explosiveness and strength that you just don’t find very often. The way he controls his body is much like Monta did, where he moves in a very unusual way.”

Ellis averages 24.1 points per game for the Golden State Warriors in his sixth NBA season. He signed out of high school and averaged 6.8 points. Abunassar said he considers Selby a combination guard.

“Great change of speeds off ball screens,” Abunassar said. “He can handle the ball. His knowledge of the game is excellent. He sees the floor very, very well.”

Selby will be given several years to grow into the player he couldn’t become in parts of one season at KU. He never helped Kansas, which outscored Virginia Commonwealth by 10 points when Selby sat and was outscored by 20 points when the freshman from Baltimore played.

Comments

Scott Smetana 3 years ago

Harrison Barnes staying in college... smart people he's around.

NBA Riches for Josh = $200K or less after taxes and expenses $40K maybe a year after that in the Developmental NBA. $15K /year as assistant high school coach year.

vs.

Exposure, training, great times, teammates and coaches who care, fans that are real, League and national championships. $$$ as a lottery pick.

David Leathers 3 years ago

I may be completely wrong here, but I honestly don't see why Selby couldn't be a decent NBA player. BUT, if the NBA drafts on potential, I would put the Twins going #1 and #2. Look 3 years ago at the maturity level (non-existent) and skill set (stuggling big bodies, with little to no B-Ball IQ) and then look at them now. IMHO, TT would be a first round (if he left of course, thanks for staying) this year and Selby: middle to late 2nd.

Jabez Harlan 3 years ago

Copied and pasted from Jason King's column on Rivals.com regarding the best and worst decisions on entering the NBA draft or returning to NCAA.

Josh Selby was the first player under bad decisions.

Here is the link; enjoy

Bad decisions

Josh Selby, Kansas, going – In his one season at Kansas, Selby didn’t come close to proving he was capable of playing in the NBA. Not all of that was his fault. He missed the first nine games because of an NCAA-mandated suspension, then suffered a stress fracture that affected his play during the final two months of the season. He could be every bit as good as he was projected to be coming out of high school. Still, another year of college would’ve done wonders for Selby, but he isn’t mature enough to realize it. The majority of the criticism for this decision should be directed not at Selby, but toward his advisors – and the team that drafts him.

LngTimeFan 3 years ago

Commenta about attacks on Josh are ridiculous. No one here wishes Josh bad luck in his career. I sure don't. I don't feel Josh is at all ready for proball. He was not even successful against even average guards in the Big 12 this season. He was a turnover waiting to happen and his defense was only OK. He has potential for sure, but he sure needs some maturation. There are hundreds of guards his size playing pro ball at the lower levels who are much better than he. Good luck Josh, hope it works out for you.

jayhawkintexas 3 years ago

Top Ten Least Likely Things to Happen in the Next Twelve Months:

1. Lasting peace occurs in the Middle East
  2. Sarah Palin declares that she is a Democract and has been a closet Democrat all these years
  3. China forgives all U.S. Debt
  4. Congress balances the federal budget
  5. Snooki enters a convent
  6. David Hasselhoff wins Best Actor award
  7. Royals win the World Series
  8. Donald Trump gets hair transplant
  9. Gasoline prices drop to 32 cents per gallon
  10. Josh Selby pays dues to the KU Alumni Association

shinguard 3 years ago

Call me crazy but this sounds too much like a girl I "dated" in college.

Went out with her for months and thought she could be the one. My life would have been great. Can you imaging coming back from the bars and being able to drunk-dial her? Forget that fact that, in all this time, shehad never put out. I would just have be patient and one day my hopes and dreams would come true.

Woke up one morining and realized that, all this time, she was really after another guy. I hated that guy as the womanizer would just sleep around and cheat - cheat like ther was no tomorrow. The drugs that guy must have been taking to keep from getting VD must have been unreal. She was just using me to get to him - ouch!

It hurt.

She did use me - and everybody knew.

Now what? Who would want to date me knowing that I had just been played.

After after months of dating (lets hypothecitally call her) Shelby, I realized that the only thing I had to gain was being able to say... "Guess what? I am dating Shelby". Eventhough I never even got to first based with her after all this time.

Now I come to find out that Shelby is already going down on that other dude and he hasn't even bought her dinner.

bubbahawk 3 years ago

Josh was the greatest recruit in the Bill Self era. An athletic freak, with first step explosion that is tailor made for the NBA.

His, is an NBA skillset, that just doesn't translate to college ball -- where defenders are allowed to slide under the player to take a charge. This kid is a future star in the NBA and I will be proud to say "He played at KU". Well done Josh, and thanks for being a Jayhawk!

Jaminrawk 3 years ago

The funniest thing to me is the "endorsements" from the guy at Impact. What is he supposed to say? That Selby was terrible? It's better for the place Selby has been training at to see him picked high so they can keep getting paid by prospects to prep for the NBA draft there.

Mike Bratisax 3 years ago

It could have been done better janetsjazz but I don't think Selby and Self ever had a tight connection. That doesn't excuse it but it is what it is (I hate that phrase).

Janet Olin 3 years ago

I am sorry that Josh sustained injuries and suspensions that kept him from demonstrating his skill set. KU fans, players, and coaches supported him and cheered for him. I have no problem with him chasing his dream,especially since he didn't get to 'show his stuff' this year. I object to him insulting all the coaches and players who stood by him in a sub-par year by blowing off the banquet, and then announcing his draft declaration via Twitter, while he had his mom deliver the bad news to Coach Self. That is so junior high, no class.

hawksince51 3 years ago

When Selby announced on national TV he was coming to KU (I believe it was at the McD's AA game) my immediate reaction was I hoped he would do well for us in one year, but I was very skeptical. That skepticism was based on the year X had just had. The hype and build-up for these two was similar and it was well known that we would have them for one year only. The results speak for themselves--we got far less out of Selby than we did out of X. And it is not just these two players. For whatever reason, KU and Self do not seem to be able to capitalize on the talent that these high potential freshmen bring. In spite of their great contributions beyond their first year, how much did Rush, Wright, Chalmers, the Twins, and many others really contribute their freshman year? IMHO, none were much better than average their first year, but all became really good or great as sophomores. This is not a knock on Self as a coach but rather as a recruiter. I feel he is wasting scholarships and playing time on OAD'ers that would be better used on players interested in staying around long enough to contribute to his system. I would rather see KU be more like the mid-majors who knock us off so often in the NCAA's with solid upper junior and senior players. Let UK continue to fall flat on their face with the OAD'ers.

Eric Bernauer 3 years ago

It amazes me the obvious immaturity of some of the posters on these boards. Because a player disappoints us and our huge expectations, some think it okay to attack a 19 year old young man. I'm guessing most know him not at all, have probably only been as close to him as a television screen and yet on these boards he has been called a joke, immature, and a clown. Some are out and out hoping he will fail in the NBA. Why? I'd say these comments reflect more on the posters than on Selby. Are they jealous that he will be making millions even though he didn't lead their team to the championship? Some will point out it is their right to point out Selby's mistakes, that it is their right to make personal attacks as if they are defending the First Admendment. Of course these who attack others in such personal ways reflect their own lack of maturity. I'm betting most do not even have the skill to make a high school team and yet they will tell you they know exactly what a NBA prospect who has sought out professional advice should do. Any of you people denigrating Selby have any sort of professional or even any collegiate sports experience?

KUsmoothies 3 years ago

Two mice fell into a bucket of cream. The first mouse quickly gave up and drown, the 2nd mouse fought so hard he churned that cream into butter, and he walked out.

Hank Cross 3 years ago

Keegan's point about 'meriting' an NBA uniform is nonsense. The NBA makes its determination on whether a player has the ability and athleticism to play in the League. It doesn't make a difference if a player stayed for four years, became the poster boy for his school's program, etc. All that matters is if there is enough information to make a positive determination about a player's abilities. If a positive determination is made, his college experience and its length are irrelevant. Kobe and KG didn't need one minute of college ball to become the players they became.

People are quick to point out how many OADs have been busts, but there have been upperclassmen lottery/high draft picks that have gone bust as well. Laetner had one of the most storied careers in college BB history, yet was bascially a journeyman in the NBA.

There is a case to be made that college ball can actually make a player look better than they are thanks to the storyline, awards, etc. Right now I bet there are people in the Jazz organization who have serious concerns about whether Jimmer is quick and athletic enough to play in the NBA. Yet, they know that if the Jazz doesn't draft him if he's available, the fans will have a meltdown.

Mike Bratisax 3 years ago

If Duke's Irving is the 1st pick as some mock drafts have him, then I could very easily see Selby going in the first round. Neither Selby nor KU did much good for themselves in this situation. I'm sure there will be some top pgs will think twice about coming to KU. Big men thrive here, guards not so much.

IrishDaddy 3 years ago

Wishy washy fans aren't that hard to come by.

douglas6280 3 years ago

It will be hard to replace Selby. Guards who are poor ballhandlers/passers, don't defend well, and are streak shooters are tough to come by.

Kip_McSmithers 3 years ago

Twitter is blowing up with reports about Royce transferring...

IrishDaddy 3 years ago

Mom speaks out....

If a coach doesn’t win games he’s supposed to does that mean that he can’t coach? It saddens me that people forget that he was KU’s seconds leading scorer before his injury and now all of a sudden he can’t play or is overrated. That’s crazy and to be considered a headache or problem at the next level – this is a kid who sat through all the NCAA bull and didn’t know if he would play, but kept his smile and his cool through it all. How quickly we forget,” added Witherspoon.

jhox 3 years ago

I told my son today, exactly what the scout was telling Keegan. Selby will likely go to the NBA work outs and blow them away with his athleticism, and may even work his way into a lottery pick. We did see flashes of that athleticism. Unfortunately, it was usually when he was a bit out of control. I was at the KU-OSU game in the Big 12 tourney, and at one point he blew by someone, put on a lightning quick spin move and laid it off the glass, he missed, and I believe he was called for a charge (poor call with a guy too far under the basket defensively to have gotten the call.) Self immediately pulled him, but I remembered thinking "that is the athleticism we've all been hearing about." It was quicker than any move I've ever seen Taylor make.

Let's not forget, he was just starting to play well prior to the foot injury. He was taking on more of the point guard duties and I thought it was the point in the season when KU was playing its best basketball. Selby was fitting in with what the offense was trying to do. The foot injury clearly slowed him the rest of the conference season, and he basically played the entire season without really even getting into mid season form.. He only started to get that explosivness back about the time the Big 12 tournament started.

Personally, I think he should have come back one more year. I really think he could have assured himself of being a top 10 pick. On the other hand, with the lockout looming, there are a lot of guys sticking around and next year's draft will be loaded.

Bottom line, I think he'll be a first round draft choice. I doubt he'll play a lot initially because I'm not sure he's ready, but hopefully hell develop into a good NBA player. If I have one reservation about him, it is whether or not he's coachable. I did see a lot of frustration from Self this year in dealing with him, and Josh's body language in reaction to Self wasn't always the best. Of course, the NBA is full of guys who don't necessarily take well to coaching. The very best NBA players do allow themselves to be coached. I hope I'm wrong about that side of Josh, because if he does open himself up to coaching, he has the potential to be a very good NBA player.

I do wish him the best. I would never root against a kid who thought enough of KU to come play here in the first place. I hope he becomes a star, and speaks well of his time at KU.

HawkKlaw 3 years ago

Good to see some people on here defending Josh a bit. Give the kid a break, people! Selby did exactly what we all thought he would do. He played at KU for 1 year, and now he's going pro. That has always been the plan. Don't fault Selby for the stupid one year rule. He would have gone pro straight out of high school if it were possible (which it should be).

People making negative comments stating that they hope Josh fails/goes to the d-league/goes to Europe/doesn't get drafted seem like fair-weather fans to me. Nobody was complaining when Josh chose to come to KU. Now, just because he had a disappointing season and is still going to get drafted, people are acting like bitter ex-girlfriends/boyfriends.

Think about it, if he would have stayed, people would be saying, "well, I hope he learns how to play Division 1 ball!" And he would have to deal with that the entire offseason. However, since he's leaving, KU "fans" are flat-out making fun of the guy and wishing him the worst. Its a lose-lose for Josh Selby, which isn't fair IMO.

If you're going to be mad at anything, be mad at the NBA for having this stupid one year rule. It hurts college basketball far more than it helps, and it really doesn't do a whole lot for talent in the NBA either. I wish more players would do it like Brandon Jennings and play in Europe for a year. I think college basketball would be a whole lot better. (NBA would probably still suck just as much, but who really cares? The NBA is only competitive during the playoffs anyway.)

Brett Forreal 3 years ago

Yes, Selby did cost KU something, the Turner kid that was almost a lock for KU and then went to Zona.

Ralster Jayhawk 3 years ago

kubball99, And I would support your contention by saying Self's own system frankly benefits from guys who can learn it well enough to execute it. Seems to take Self's own recruits 2-3years to get really proficient at it. That being said, it was hard to see this year's MorrisHawks go down with 2 junior Twins, 3 seniors (Reed, BStar, Little), junior lead-combo (TT), especially since the team, as a group did not execute as they did almost all season long. The time for finger-pointing/calling out specific players has quickly passed--its more about the bigger lesson: if such a result could befall such a team, take pains to learn why (for the youngsters), move forward...stay vigilant against supposed 'lesser' teams.

RCJH

Ty Mar 3 years ago

Get over it. He didn't have a chance to do what he is capable of doing because of suspensions, broken hand, foot injury. He's 100% now and destroying the workouts. You mad? I can't wait to see Josh play in the NBA! Rock Chalk!

kubball99 3 years ago

Found this interesting comment in an article from Rivals:

"None of the past three national champions appear on our list of teams hit hardest by early entries. North Carolina lost four underclassmen to the draft from 2006-10, but 2007 lottery pick Brandan Wright is the only one-and-done player from that group. The Tar Heels won the 2009 national title largely because Tyler Hansbrough, Ty Lawson, Wayne Ellington and Danny Green chose to stay in school rather than entering the draft after reaching the Final Four in 2008. Duke's only two early entries over the past five drafts are sophomore Josh McRoberts in 2007 and junior Gerald Henderson in 2009, though freshman Kyrie Irving will join that group this year. Connecticut has produced four early entries over the past five years, a group that featured four juniors and one sophomore. The Huskies would not have won the national title this season had Kemba Walker not stayed for his junior season. Walker has indicated he will turn pro rather than returning for his final year of eligibility." Kansas ranks #7.

Seems like the one and done route may not be the best route to the promiss land. Butler would certainly add strength to this argument.

kubball99 3 years ago

Found this interesting comment in an article from Rivals:

William Blake 3 years ago

"NBA riches await Josh Selby"

"Josh Selby bids KU adieu"

The headlines have been quite inflammatory...

I know it is a sign of the times, but I miss the days when journalism was focused on content more than playing on emotional drama...

Hard to believe we live in the "age of communication".... where you can interview someone from your personal cellphone while you remain seated in your john boat trying to land the big bass. All of this accessibility and convenience but it is not being utilized to investigate or verify a real story.

In these days it is much easier for writers to go off on their own tangents and purposely incite the herd for reactions, versus creating an idea/theme and then following up with phone calls to substantiate some level of truth.

I don't mean this as an attack on Keeg.... more of an attack on what we call journalism today.

I believe kusports.com can improve substantially if they make a split in content. Have one section called "News" and one section called "Editorial."

By doing so they can raise their standard on news by keeping it to the 'facts' with less bias and drama. Then on the editorial page open it up more and get all the talented writers on this site to totally cut loose with their opinions.

Jocelyn Kennedy 3 years ago

Sure will make watching this year's draft a little more exciting! Good Luck to you, Josh!!

stedman15 3 years ago

The mock draft sites have him going in the second round, which means that any contract he gets will be non-guaranteed. Whoever told him to declare is a fool.

63Jayhawk 3 years ago

I really DO NOT understand all of the negative comments about Selby. We knew when he came that it was for one year only. Yes, he probably would have gone straight to the NBA out of high school if he could. But he couldn't, and he chose KU as the best place to spend that year. He came to KU because he WANTED to come to KU.

Some mistakes were made before he got to KU that cost him nine very valuable weeks. Those mistakes were never hidden. The staff was aware of them before he became a Jayhawk.

He was injured for much of the season. He NEVER had a chance to get comfortable playing with the team in games.

Had he not missed all of that time, all of you who are putting Josh down would be talking about what a great player he is...and crying because he's leaving.

Josh is going to have a GREAT pro career. Be glad for him. Be proud of him as one of us. Cheer his success. Invite him back for celebrations.

I want him to be successful as a pro. I want him to proud that he came to Kansas. I want his success to help Coach Self recruit other great players.

So, GET OVER you disappointment that his success at Kansas was not what we all hoped it would be. GET OVER your disappointment that he won't be here another year.

GO GET EM JOSH! ROCK CHALK JAYHAWK!

Chris Bailey 3 years ago

I've actually liked the last few articles Keegan has written. I realize the fans don't always agree with what he says but how many of the posters on here really think Selby is ready for the NBA? I, like Keegan, have no clue what they see in drafting him. I do remember his first game he showed the flashes of what I had hoped was to come. I wish Josh good luck in the NBA and he will always be a Jayhawk! RCJHKU!

Steve Corder 3 years ago

Mostly, it's about the money. Everyone should hope for the best for Selby, and from a scan of these comments I think most do.

Wilt left KU early for the money (Globetrotters). For the exceptional athlete (heck, for most parents today they dream of the "big-time" for their little athlete in AAU or "Little League") the lure of professional sports has always been a dream, regardless of NCAA rules (1, 2 or 3 years). Education will remain secondary. Tension is created between that reason which KU was founded (generating the loyalty, love & admiration that most alums have) and the athletes dream of glory from which legends are made as well as Hollywood movies.

brinkofdawn 3 years ago

There's really no reason to be bitter about Selby leaving. Everyone knew he was a likely OAD recruit. Yeah, he didn't have the season everyone expected him to have, but oh well. He obviously wasn't happy at KU. If he doesn't want to be at KU, then it's best for everyone that he leaves. The last thing we need is someone who may interfere with next year's team chemistry.

One has to wonder if things between him and Self were a bit tense. According to the other article, he had his mom call Self to give him the news before he posted it on Twitter. He didn't even have the decency to man up and call coach Self himself? That's my only beef with his decision. At least have the common courtesy to talk to your coach yourself and not have your mommy do it.

Aside from that, I wish Josh well. I think he'll do fine in the NBA. It may take him a couple years to establish himself, but he obviously has the talent. A lot of people seemed to think he should come back for one more year before making the jump. Yeah, that might have helped his draft stock, but the fact remains that the NBA potential was there. Unfortunately due to the suspension and injuries, he didn't have a standout year. Let's not forget the fact that he got bent over by the NCAA dragging their feet on his case for so long. He missed a lot of practice time b/c his investigation took so long. Had they rendered their decision and suspended him a lot earlier, he could have still practiced with the team a lot longer. That certainly wouldn't have hurt his development any.

If there is an NBA lockout this year, let's hope the NBA and NCAA can work something out in the next collective bargaining agreement so this OAD crap isn't an issue going forward. Let kids jump straight to the NBA out of high school if they're ready. But if they choose to go to college, make it mandatory that they stay 2 or 3 years. I think Self has talked about that idea before. Don't let agents contract with high school kids until after the draft, so if a high schooler isn't drafted, they still have the option to play college ball instead of having to head overseas or to the D-league. Making kids go to college one year before they turn pro just isn't an improvement over the way it worked before that rule was implemented. All it creates is kids who don't want to be in college having to put in their time and in a lot of cases, they're putting themselves above the team so they can showcase their talent to the NBA scouts.

KUbsee69 3 years ago

And Keegan slips in another "Bonnie Bash", in an article about Josh.

Stop it ... just stop it.

Cody Stumma 3 years ago

Watch, I'm going to laugh if he gets passed up in the NBA Draft.

shinguard 3 years ago

When we are all done analyzing all that is wrong with Josh, the NBA and college basketball, take a look at Wayne Simien on Iamsecond.com

What a great way to put all this in perspective. A must see.

Wayne, Everyday, you do Jayhawk Nation proud!

oletimer 3 years ago

any team that shells out money for an unproven kid who could not play for a college team successfully is in serious trouble. Is the nba that short of bodies? selby came into the college scene hoping he could qualify to stay in school for 1 year so he could go to the pros. Guess he figured another year of classes and sitting on the bench was not his style. While they provide entertainment for one year, the one and done kids just do not do a lot for a team, other than prove they are greedy.

WilburNether 3 years ago

We are about to see which NBA general manager is stupid enough to take a kid who played part of one season in college, and never established that he could play at the Division I level.

Oh, yeah, I forgot, it's all about "potential."

Stupid, just stupid.

justanotherfan 3 years ago

I realize a lot of people see Josh Selby as a disappointment, but I see him fighting through an injury plagued year, never complaining or becoming a distraction, doing whatever he was asked, whether it be starting or coming off the bench.

I also see him as phenomenally talented. We have known for quite some time that Keegan doesn't know how to judge basketball talent. But watch these highlights of Selby in high school. Ignore the competition. Just watch his speed, quickness, explosiveness and how high he's jumping. Pay special attention to how sudden his moves are.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzXs4a... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36td_e...

Check out this video of Selby dunking on a guy. Watch at 0:05. Now think back to the NCAA tournament vs. Illinois when Selby was out on the break. He had a guy lined up, but instead of dunking, he did a double clutch layup. Why? He wasn't healthy. That play summed up Selby's season for me. When healthy, that guy would have gotten dunked on. But without his bounce, Selby had to resort to a much more difficult move to finish. I think once he gets healthy, Selby will be quick and explosive again, and will be a tough cover.

On a side note, I think the suspension also helped Selby out the door. The NCAA's draconian rules are only encouraging guys to leave because honestly, unless you already have a pretty secure financial future, you don't have many other options. Any job you get will likely be investigated to make sure you aren't making too much, or that you didn't get a job because of your position as an athlete, or that you aren't working for a prominent alum or booster or whatever. The only other option is to take the NBA money.

CardHawkFan 3 years ago

Good luck Josh! He's already made the decision to leave folks. No sense in speculation. The kid WILL pay for play somewhere and when the media guides mentioning how many players KU has sent on to the NBA or professional basketball, his name will be included. It is what it is, so how about instead of making him wish he'd never been here, let's give him a reason to feel like he had a home here, even if it was just for a year. Once a Jayhawk, always a Jayhawk!

IrishDaddy 3 years ago

I think he will be a first round pick.

HawkKlaw 3 years ago

I think it is way too early to tell if Selby will be great in the NBA or not. I wish him the best of luck. It sucks that things didn't work out great at KU, but in a few years Selby has the potential to be a great NBA player (not saying its a guarantee or anything). There was a huge discrepancy between how awesome Selby played in high school and how poorly he played at KU. I honestly believe that this year was a fluke for Josh, and that he will bounce back. He may not see a lot of the court in his first couple of years in the NBA (heck, he may even go down to the d-league), but if we are honest with ourselves, I think most of us would admit that Selby's potential is limitless. He showed us a glimpse of it during the USC game. Do you remember how loud AFH got when Selby came in? I was there and it was pretty damn loud (by no means the loudest I've ever heard at AFH, but respectable nonetheless). I hope one day he'll be a dominant player in the NBA on a good team so I can root for him in the playoffs (basically the only time I watch the NBA unless its Paul Pierce and the Celtics playing a decent team like LA or Chicago...) Goodbye Josh, and best of luck!

ahpersecoachingexperience 3 years ago

Black helicopter theory: after the ncaa tells josh about his 9 game suspension they also tell him he will be one and done or they will investigate this a little futher.

=======================================

could you imagine the recruiting nightmare if selby does go early in the draft and we had him sitting on our bench.

=======================================

he needs to thank some big name players who were projected lottery picks that decided not to turn pro

William Blake 3 years ago

I gave some thought back to X and his single season. Many said he didn't hustle in college, perhaps not wanting to get hurt before pay day... and that he was a different player in the NBA. But when comparing to Josh, I remember Josh going airborne so many times and being out of control on his landing and wiping out. I called him "Mr. Rubber Bones" in his first games because I thought he could have been injured so many times on those lands.

I think the weakest part of his game is his inability to protect his body, especially on those landings. He played just a few games and went down... if he plays that same kind of ball in the NBA will he be able to endure the long season? If I was a scout, I'd have to look hard at that.

Josh must carry some tough energy with him from KU. The VCU stat will always be there. Players come and go, but stats are permanent history. I wonder how he'll play from here on out.

Still... he's a Hawk, and I will always wish him well.

bennybob 3 years ago

From a recruiting standpoint, we should all hope he gets drafted early. If he doesn't every coach in the country is going to use him as an example of why future elite guards should not go to ku, i can hear it now:

coach to kid: "So where else are you considering playing ball next year? Kansas? are you sure about that. Look what happened to Josh Selby, He came into KU as a unanimous top 5 player and a consensus lottery pick. Bill Self hardly let him get off the bench and Selby slipped into the second round, the same thing can happen to you."

on the flip side, if selby does go high in the draft:

Self to kid: "Look kid, ive got alot of talented players that play your position on my roster already. if you show me your a better player then they are right now you'll play. If you don't you wont. But regardless of how much time you see on the court, My coaching staff will get you ready for the NBA next year. Look what we did for Josh Selby"

those are both powerful talking points, lets hope it'll be self doing the talking.

Dyrk Dugan 3 years ago

i still predict no first round pick. something will happen, he will get hurt again....something attitude wise....i just don't know what it is, but i don't know how a kid, who basically did nothing, sans his first game, at the big time college level, will merit a 1st round selection.

i understand all the "upside" arguments...but there's too many other players who have proven it, or shown a lot more in real situations to garner the interest. it wouldn't have hurt him a lick to come back...in fact, he could have been a top 10 guy next year...no labor strife.

i guess we shall definitely see.

El Jay 3 years ago

Im still disappointed that he decided to leave although I cant say that I am surprised. I think mostly though, Im frustrated at how he decide to make the announcement and with his seemingly total lack of respect for his teammates and the program once the season was over. It just feels like he was just waiting for the first opportunity to jump and really didnt care very much about KU. I could be wrong but it never seemed like his love for KU or his teammates were making the decision difficult - the only difficulty he had was in determining whether or not he would be drafted. Oh well. I wish him well nonetheless because its always good to see a Jayhawk tear it up the NBA. I love watching The Truth and it would be great to have another star from the hill in the NBA. In any event, hopefully this helps us sway Trevor Lacey into coming to KU

Cameron Schienebeck 3 years ago

This just continues to prove that these kids need to serve a mandatory 2 years in college before they can declare for the draft. If they want to go straight to the pros from HS that's fine. Just don't waste the time of colleges trying to build/maintain a successful program. Most KU fans don't hate Selby. Like me they are probably just disappointed we never got to see his full potential.

As a bonus this rule would also hurt Calipari at 1&DoneU.

KGphoto 3 years ago

Remember, a lockout could benefit the non-lottery guys the most. The idea being that some lottery guys would decide to stay another year and leave gaps in the order for lower picks to move up. I'm not sure I'm seeing those gaps develop, but that was a very common theory amongst the experts.

Besides, after finishing the most frustrating first year of college ball imaginable, as Selby just experienced, I might leave the NCAA to flip burgers.

Ultimately his talent will redeem his decision. Will I remember Josh for all this hoopla? Sure, but I think once he starts to get his groove in the league, we'll all start focusing more on those few games where he looked like the shizz. Maybe even on just a few individual plays. A steal, and a race down the court with a dynamic behind the back dribble, blowing by the defender and finishing strong. Even if we only saw it a few times, it was there, and it was ours for a bit.

Joe Joseph 3 years ago

Waste of a scholarship.

bradynsdad 3 years ago

I would really support the college baseball rule if it were to ever be instituted. Either take the draft out of high school or play a minimum of three years in college. I would have liked to see selby stay but he needs to be supported. Fact is the better he does in the NBA the more it helps with recruiting. Everyone complains that we don't get espnu's top ten players but almost all of them are OAD's. So we can't have it both ways. If we want highly rated recruits we have to accept their here for one year and gone regardless of their performance. Hoping they fail does not look good to other highly rated recruits. It's a double edge sword but which side are you on?

IrishDaddy 3 years ago

Good article Tom, what many of these fans are missing is that players develope on different schedules. Kemba Walker, All American who led UCONN to the NCAA Championship, was average at best his first 2 years in college.

phi4life940 3 years ago

You know what...Selby is gone. Let's move on as fast as he has and focus on other things. These forums have turned into all out brawls between people ( I'm one of the brawlers, I'll admit).

Let's talk about how today is DeAndre Daniels birthday and he is going to Duke for a visit! (ugh!) Also, Braeden Anderson wrote on Daniels facebook wall: "happy b-day, come to KU!" I knew I liked this Braeden kid. :-)

HAWKTOPIA 3 years ago

Keeg's, the hard working guy your colleagues see in the pressroom is not the writer the rest of us see in print. you're a jerk!

The very fact that Josh never became an integral cog to our success suggests he made the right decision. Josh has great skills, and needs to play where he can be 75% of the offence at any given moment. That's the NBA

It is nice to consider that HCBS could sequester parts of Josh's skill-set so the team could benefit, but that's not what the first year showed.

Good Luck Josh

eastcoasthawk 3 years ago

Seems that there are two books on Josh. The guys like Keegan's Mr. Doe that might be convinced to take a shot with Josh. Then there are the guys like the Mr. Doe's from the CBS story that liken him to Willie Warren. Will be very interesting to see how this plays out. I believe you Tom is right. Someone will want to take a shot with Josh. When and where, I don't know. I can only wish the Baltimore kid who signed with KU but whose dream was to play in the NBA all the best.

jhawkrulz 3 years ago

I wouldn't blame Josh all that much for this decision. He has had several people in his ear for probably 5+ years telling him he is NBA bound. These same rulemakers created a OAD scenario. After he served his one year, those same people are telling him he is NBA bound. Look at some of the quotes, some say he will be a Lottery pick still and if so it is a no-brainer, others say early second round. Either way he will make more than me next year, and I feel like I make a lot of money.

When push comes to shove, he was offered the dream of his entire life, is it so wrong to reach after that dream? I think he will develop well, you can see that he has some real potential, just was adjusting during the season, and I think that Self even realized that with mentioning all of the practices he missed and all of the games he had to miss.

Ultimately, I think he will do better in the NBA, but as mentioned he will have to develop into the player we all hope he can become.

Good Luck Josh, there might be some comments on here that are lackluster, but ultimately we all wish you well as you fulfill your dream.

doolindalton 3 years ago

Skills, explosiveness, strength from Josh Selby? KU's starting wings this season were two good college players who won't play in the NBA. Selby couldn't run the offense well enough to beat out Tyshawn Taylor or Elijah Johnson and play point guard. I never saw any evidence of a great individual basketball player. He had two games where he was good and helped the team. But good luck, Josh, and good luck, NBA, if your league is the league is so talent deficient to pay money for Selby to play.

Cmill1221 3 years ago

The NBA is a total joke. The draft is about nothing but potential and it's sad. The NBA needs a 3 year rule like the NFL. If they had that they would have many more quality players like Blake Griffin. I don't get it why not stay and play for BILL SELF in college and hone your skils and be a lotto pic rather than end up in San Antonio play for QUIN SNYDER in the NBADL? (Yes QUIN actually has a coaching job in the NBADL)

Hank Cross 3 years ago

At least Keegan admits that he can't judge basketball talent.

And the message to OADs thinking about coming to KU is this: Be recruited to KU as a OAD. Make it known you're coming as a OAD. Have KU fans rejoice at you're signing, even though they know you're a OAD. Leave after one year. Be torn apart and called all kinds of names by many jilted fanboys on this board because you left after a year.

In the end though, leaving was also in the best interest of KU. You can't have a player that on the fence about staying and the Vegas trip was an NCAA investigation waiting to happen.

Best of luck Josh.

KULA 3 years ago

Yeah, there sure is a lot of hate among posters to the previous story. Newsflash guys--these kids don't grow up dreaming of playing college basketball. Just like little football players don't dream about playing college football and little baseball players don't dream about playing college baseball. And little actors don't dream about acting in the college play and little musicians don't dream about playing in the college marching band and little writers don't dream about writing for the college paper. Josh said his dream was to play in the NBA. He's been evaluated and it's been judged that he has the skills to play in the NBA. Sorry that Bill Self's offense, which turns another nobody into this year's Cinderella every March, doesn't showcase those skills, but Josh has got 'em. Sorry that he not loyal enough for the haters, but he only came to college because he had to. Get over it. Good luck Josh and thanks for coming to Kansas, even if it was too briefly.

tydon27 3 years ago

Tom keegan is one of the haters. Was josh selbys year a disappointment yes. Did he not live up to expectations no. But to say that he shouldn't go to the nba or deserve to give it a shot is a joke. He has the talent to be a lottery pick. You don't get ranked the #1 recruit for no reason. Everyone forgets that as the stats say he averaged 12 points a game before his injury and I think he was shooting about 40% from 3 during that time. He was the 3rd best player behind the morris twins before getting hurt.

I think the reason so many people are hating on him is because he didn't live up to the expectations we all had for him when he signed. I personally thought he would average around 15 to 20 points per game and be the best player on the team or close to it. However because of the suspension, missed practices, injuries, bad luck or whatever he didn't perform a level he was capable of. Is it disappointing yes. Does it mean he was a disappointment no. The only reason why I'm disappointed in him leaving is because we never got to see his full talent while he was here. I wish him good luck and know he'll succeed in the nba.

hawksquawk 3 years ago

Why don't we wish him the best and hope he becomes the star we all believe(d) he should be? Even though he was only here one year, Josh and KU are forever linked. Some people seem like they'd rather have him fail, in order to fulfill their own prognostications, rather than have him succeed. Pft.

pigballin 3 years ago

Taylor and Johnson better? hahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahah!

What were you drinking when you wrote this article?

Steve Corder 3 years ago

We shall see.

I wish the kid well, but I'd likely starve as an NBA talent evaluator cause I just don't see the star power. I sure hope he's a "saver" with his money.