Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Georgia Tech coach warns team about KU

— Paul Johnson is warning his Georgia Tech players they better not be distracted as they prepare for the program’s first road game at a Big 12 school since 1992.

photo

Gregory Smith/AP Photo

Georgia Tech quarterback Joshua Nesbitt, center, celebrates with teammates after their 41-10 victory against South Carolina State on Saturday in Atlanta. No. 15 Georgia Tech faces Kansas this weekend.

The warning came in the form of a question: How would you feel if you lost to South Carolina State?

Georgia Tech moved up one spot to No. 15 on Tuesday after its 41-10 opening victory over South Carolina State, but the question from the coach was relevant as he sought to keep his team focused.

The Yellow Jackets play at Kansas on Saturday. Kansas suffered a 6-3 home loss to North Dakota State last week.

Both South Carolina State and North Dakota State are FCS schools. Johnson’s warning was that if Georgia Tech players understood they would have extra motivation following an embarrassing loss, they can expect the same reaction from Kansas.

“It”s like I told them on Monday, you better brace for their best shot,” Johnson said. “Their backs are against the wall. They're going to come out fighting. They’ll be upset. They'll be mad.

“I asked our team, ‘How would you be on Monday if you lost to South Carolina State?’ That’s all you’ve got to think about. They will be upset.”

This is a rare travel opportunity for Georgia Tech (1-0), which hasn’t played a regular-season game west of the Mississippi River since opening the 2003 season with a loss at BYU. Georgia Tech played at Baylor in 1992 in its last game at a Big 12 school.

Georgia Tech also traveled west when it lost to Fresno State in the Humanitarian Bowl in Boise, Idaho, on Dec. 31, 2007.

Kansas will play at Georgia Tech next season. The Jayhawks’ loss to North Dakota State came in Turner Gill’s debut as coach, and it left Kansas with an eight-game losing streak.

Kansas fans booed during the loss.

Johnson said he knows how it feels to be booed by home fans. He said he heard boos and insults as a coach at his high school alma mater in Avery County, N.C.

“Fans will be fans,” Johnson said. “I can remember my first coaching job. I think the first year we didn’t lose a regular-season game in high school and it was actually my hometown. The second year we lost one in the regular season, and as we were coming off the field, they were yelling ‘Fire the bums.’ They were yelling at me ‘Hey, you weren’t any good when you played.’”

Added Johnson: “Fans will be fans. That’s what they do.”

Johnson referred to breakdowns on defense and a slow start for the passing game in the victory over South Carolina State as reasons his players should not look past Kansas.

“If our guys are overconfident off the effort they put out there, it’s going to be a long year,” he said.

“My point to them is we’ve got to get better. I’m not worried about Kansas or whoever it might be that we're playing. We’ve got to get better as a football team and there’s so many things we can do better. That’s our focus this week.”

Notes

Johnson said sophomore A-back Orwin Smith could start this week after rushing for 34 yards on four carries in the opener. “I just think he plays a little harder than the other guys,” Johnson said. ... DE Robert Hall will play after serving a one-game suspension. Johnson suspended Hall this summer after Hall’s argument with his girlfriend led to a battery charge.

Comments

Jaminrawk 9 years, 5 months ago

Sadly, I think there is a snowflake's chance in hell this KU team beats G-Tech on Saturday.

JayDocMD 9 years, 5 months ago

Goal #1 - score a touchdown. Goal #2 - prevent GT from scoring 10 touchdowns

Sam Constance 9 years, 5 months ago

Betting lines don't really say anything about a game's expected outcome. They are established in order to entice as many would-be gamblers into placing a bet as possible.

So the fact that GT is less than a 2 touchdown favorite simply means that Vegas thinks that that line will garner the most bets on both sides. Not that they actually believe GT is only favored by 14 points or less...

jayhawkintx73 9 years, 5 months ago

Don't fumble the ball would be another good one. And for the QB to pass the ball to a receiver consistently. And for a running back to get a 10 yard gain or more. To have a running back with more than 40 yards rushing. To have a receiver with more than 5 catches. To have less than 2 sacks. Its going to be up to both the play calling and the execution. The performance Saturday was clearly a low point, and make indicative of a mistake in judging quality coaching.

OhioHawkfan 9 years, 5 months ago

Goal #3 (For Coach Gill) - At least make it look like you give a sh-t on the sideline.

gongs4ku 9 years, 5 months ago

"Don't have more than six or seven beers the morning of the game and you'll be fine."

"They've told us we're not allowed to simulate this game on Xbox 360, we're going to actually have to be present to win."

"I agree it's a funny idea, but we're not going to intentionally spot them points by kicking through the wrong uprights. That's just not nice."

GridironHawk 9 years, 5 months ago

Great support for KU... Why don't you guys just go hide until Basketball season.

justinryman 9 years, 5 months ago

Dido!

I understand that everyone is upset at the loss. I came from a winning tradition in highschool in all sports. My senior year we lost a lot of starters in two sports and produced losing seasons in both for the first time in 10 years. I had to hear it from adults and friends parents and alumni that we were costing our school its reputation. Not easy being an 18 year old and hearing that.

I can't think it would be much different for the 18-22 year old young men on the football program to hear the same thing from a bunch of fans that weren't even there before the 2007 season.

justinryman 9 years, 5 months ago

A small error on my behalf. Never have claimed to be an English major.

Michael Leiker 9 years, 5 months ago

I would absolutely never boo a KU team, but after Saturday, this team is the laughing stock of the country. No way to avoid that.

jayhawkintx73 9 years, 5 months ago

I've been there since 1987. Make sure you don't generalize. This is the worst performance of any KU team in that span of time. Hell, we beat Oregon State quite handily in 1988 and Oregon the year after. In fact, we CREAMED THEM. We beat UCLA in the Aloha Bowl in 1995. We also lost to BYU in the Aloha Bowl in 1991. Then Glen Mason left the program, and we got all these promises about the Division I-AA coach Terry Allen. Coached his team to the I-AA national championship. And we thought we had a good hire. This time, Turner Gill is going to have to prove it. I jumped on Terry Allen's bandwagon and never failed to support him. In retrospect, we fans were too easy on him.

murph 9 years, 5 months ago

The only game KU football won in 1988 was against K-State. That happened the week it was announced that the basketball team wouldn't be allowed to defend their National Championship. When the Hawks one that first game of the year (which was also the last game of the year) the students tore down both goal posts - the only time in my life I've ever seen that happen. I couldn't believe it, but the AD later announced that he made the decision to not interfere because the sports news had been so bad that week.

Bear86 9 years, 5 months ago

I was at the KSU game. Had a great time throwing the goal post in Potters lake. One good memory from my time (86-91) at KU watching the Hawks play football.

live4h2o 9 years, 5 months ago

Yeah, seriously you big jerks. Go and hide until Basketball season. But you better hurry up... I think the football team has already found most of the good hiding spots!

KU_FanSince75 9 years, 5 months ago

OhioHawkfan----Good one---totally agree!

I got one---Goal #4= Save your timeouts toward the end of the 4th Quarter. Hopefully, the game is close at the end. Jaminrawk hit the nail on the head, though.

youowethehawks 9 years, 5 months ago

You know what else is awful? Your attitude and that of any of you other negative Nancies. Yeah, last Saturday was bad. Get over it. Nobody likes bandwagon fans anyway leave that crap to K-State fans that think they're at a football school.

Jeff Coffman 9 years, 5 months ago

You think KU is going to score more against GT than they did against NDSU?

jaybate 9 years, 5 months ago

Insult Added to Injury.

The G-Wrek coach essentially likens KU to NDakS.

Just as KU needed to beware of lowly NDakS, G-Wrek needs to beware of lowly KU.

Ouch!

C'mon TGil. Just as JC turned water into wine, so to it is written that u must turn chumps into champs.

Suggestion for your next pep talk: get someone to build you a short pier in Potter's Lake. It needs to be just wide enough to walk out on and it needs to span the lake. The surface of the pier needs to be just a quarter of an inch under the surface of the water. Next, buy some Muck shoes. Begin your pep talk on dry land. Tell the players: "We can do anything we put our minds to." Then walk across the water.

Rock Chalk!

yovoy 9 years, 5 months ago

meh. that is why my eyes roll up involutarily and my gag reflex goes berserk.

this one WAS good, and it didn't take 17 days to read it. i took the comparison the same way.

oscar wilde said it best: brevity is the soul of wit.

KCHawk81 9 years, 5 months ago

He stole that line from Polonius! :) Damn Irish.

lovethosehawks 9 years, 5 months ago

I think we all should exercise a little patience with the team and coaches. Give them time to develop and adjust to the new system and coaching style.

jayhawkintx73 9 years, 5 months ago

I would be able to do that, if this wasn't the year that the 4-star wide receivers were playing, but one problem. One of em's playing defense. Our leading returning rusher didn't even get on the field Saturday. That would have been a good time to get him on the field, IN THE OFFENSIVE BACKFIELD. Sims didn't get a snap either. We had guys that didn't even get to play that are good athletes. That is the coach's fault.

KU_FanSince75 9 years, 5 months ago

Good thinking, Jaybate! If I didn't see the pier, I would be a believer. Rock Chalk back at ya!

CatsEatBirds 9 years, 5 months ago

For even more of an effect, have BP and Haliburton build the pier and fill the lake with pirrannahs!

youowethehawks 9 years, 5 months ago

Yes. Cats do eat birds. However, our mascot is not a bird. It is a caricature of a mythical creature we had to come up with because we couldn't depict a man with red pant-legs slaughtering Missourians on our flag... which is a shame. Oh, and for the record, it was TransOcean that built the shoddy rig. BP doesn't build them, they lease the land/seafloor around the wellhead. And one more thing... troll somewhere else.

hawk316 9 years, 5 months ago

When asked to comment on the booing by fans, Johnson said, “Fans will be fans. That’s what they do.”

Somehow that doesn't sound like a compliment. One might say about pigs rolling in the mud, "pigs will be pigs. That's what they do." Or about dogs eating their vomit, "dogs will be dogs. That's what they do."

I would hope for better from KU fans.

KU_FanSince75 9 years, 5 months ago

316--When I was reading that from GA. Tech's coach, I was thinking kind of the same thing. I would hope KU fans would do better!

ibleedku 9 years, 5 months ago

The only thing I hate more than listening to MU fans speak...is having to agree with them. Anyone else having a week like that? Thanks Turner....thanks Lew!!.....

boknowssports 9 years, 5 months ago

It would have been nice for Coach Gill to take some accountability in the poor performance of HIS team. I have not read or saw any press conference where he takes some responsibility for a team that was totally uninspired and woefully unprepared. His "warm and fuzzy" "were gonna have fun" style is really starting to worry me. Does he care?

KU_FanSince75 9 years, 5 months ago

Screw warm and fuzzy---Jayhawks need to win some games!

bleed_BLUE 9 years, 5 months ago

Not only is this team a joke...well, all college sports, and other "sports" in general are a joke, except for ONE REAL sport.......but the schedule is a joke. 8 home games in a 12 game schedule. Go on the road once in awhile. If you have 12 games, you should have 6 at home and 6 on the road. If you have 13 games, then either have 7 at home and 6 on the road, or 6 at home and 7 on the road. Once again, the NCAA and KU specifically show what a joke they are. PLEASE......can October get here quicker?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

mdfraz 9 years, 5 months ago

IF you are a KU fan, which I kinda doubt, then you are the poster child for why we will end up in a mid major conference, which will absolutely annihilate your precious little basketball team. So small minded to think that KU bball will survive when we get the cold shoulder in the conference realignment (which will happen, sooner or later) because the football program (and "fan" support) at KU is so bad. Revel in the suffering of football fans.......idiot.

Randy Bombardier 9 years, 5 months ago

This will be a good test for the D. They will most likely be on the field about 45 minutes. We will be going three and out and the will be getting the ball back quickly. This could be really ugly. You better start Pick and you better run the option. Otherwise I have to think you really are in over your head, coach.

Sean Rodger 9 years, 5 months ago

I like how the GT coach said KU will be mad and angry...

I believe that when these players got to "Mad" and "Angry" - they were told to meditate and release the anger. Then they lit candles and sang songs.

I'm sorry, been a KU fan all my life - through thick and thin - wins and losses. But Todd Reesing and Co. brought a swagger - somehow, somewhere thats been lost.

We need something...FAST!

yovoy 9 years, 5 months ago

their swagger was that they were pissed off at their coach and had to go out to prove themselves worthy. it started working and it built its own momentum. i'm not done with this team, but man, it's hard to watch that type of football. i'm a fan of HCTG, and i'm pulling for our team, but we can't go from contenders to this in ONE YEAR and keep fans.

i've watched/attended FB games at our U since i was a little kid, and last week we looked like the teams i grew up watching. our best defense is going to have to be having a good offense. we USED to be able to outscore teams - i'd love to see it happen, but i won't hold my breath.

i also don't see where we're going to get 6 points against a "decent" team like GT. hope i'm wrong.

anyone have an over/under on the attendance figs for this wknd?

Rivethead 9 years, 5 months ago

So let me get this straight.....shorty Todd Reesing throws for a gazillion yards in high school and all the Texas schools pass on him. Only Mark Mangino offers him a scholarship (other than Puke).

So the reason Todd was so good in college wasn't that he had a chip on his shoulder to prove everyone wrong, it was because he was pissed at his coach (the only man to give him a schollie, other than Puke)?

Yeah, that makes sense.

John Myers 9 years, 5 months ago

Contenders for what? Most talented team to end the season with a 7 game losing streak? The swagger was gone last year, fellas, in case you missed it..

grandpa 9 years, 5 months ago

Think about this. We did not show Georgia Tech anything we have planned for this this Sat.Gill purposely saved all of the surprise offense back. Sunday morning sports section reads "Kansas pulls big upset over Georgia Tech"