Saturday, September 4, 2010

Report: Former KU receiver Dezmon Briscoe waived by Bengals

Kansas receiver Dezmon Briscoe tosses a ball during warmups before kicking off against Texas Saturday, Nov. 21, 2009 at Darrell K. Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium.

Former Kansas receiver Dezmon Briscoe has been cut by the Cincinnati Bengals, The Cincinnati Enquirer is reporting.

Briscoe, who was drafted in the sixth round of the 2010 NFL Draft by the Bengals, posted 84 receptions for 1,337 yards and nine touchdowns last season for KU.

Briscoe was released after contributing a 50-yard touchdown reception in the Bengals' 30-28 exhibition victory over the Indianapolis Colts on Thursday.

Comments

steamboat 3 years, 7 months ago

Too bad he left early for the NFL. We sure could use him.

Jeffery Barrett 3 years, 7 months ago

and Justin Thornton has been cut from the Steelers. Can it get much worse for KU football? What next......?

Jeffery Barrett 3 years, 7 months ago

He has been signed to the Tampa Bay practice squad.

Randy Maxwell 3 years, 7 months ago

Duh, he wasn't progressing in the classroom because he had made up his mind before the school year started he was NFL bound. He thought he was a 2nd or 3rd round pick. He listened to terrible advice and now he's in trouble. No team will pick him up and I say goody. I hate people who leave early and every time someone does this is the outcome I root for.

Rick Arnoldy 3 years, 7 months ago

He'll be on the practice squad. That's been the rumor out here all preseason.

kranny 3 years, 7 months ago

Better for him. With TO and 85 he probably was putting them over the cap. He'll find a team.

KGphoto 3 years, 7 months ago

Personally, I'm glad he's out of that trap.

Cinci is a mess of egos, and ineptitude. Now he'll get a chance to grow as a player and a person. Sure, I'd love to see him with the Chiefs, but it almost seems they've made a point not to give local standouts a shot.

It's a shame though, I bet he alone would put a few extra thousand fans in the seats for home games.

Benjamin Piehler 3 years, 7 months ago

:-( one of my favorite players over the last few years.

Laura Hobbs 3 years, 7 months ago

Yeah, just too many guys here going for the same position. I had hoped he would find a way in, though. We have had so few reasons to cheer for the Bengals here in Cincy; I was hoping to have a former 'Hawk on the squad to cheer for. And you wouldn't have had to worry about him fitting in if you thought his personal life was iffy -- compared to other Bengals, he looks like a Sunday school teacher!

STL_Jayhawk 3 years, 7 months ago

The Rams could certainly use some playmakers for Bradford

Jaminrawk 3 years, 7 months ago

He won't be unemployed for long. Unfortunately for Dez, he went to a team with a crowded corps of wideouts. If the Chiefs were smart they would definitely give him a call. At the least it would give metro KU fans a reason to watch them again.

Pbbut 3 years, 7 months ago

I was concerned about this when I heard he showed up for training camp not in the best of shape and then had a muscle pull. He's still only like 20 years old with opportunities to get himself in position for another chance. He has just lost his best option though.

jayhawkinmullen 3 years, 7 months ago

I had very high hopes for Des. I should have seen the writing on the wall when his production went way down last year.

tulsahawkfan 3 years, 7 months ago

My first thought eastTx when I saw the headline.

eastTXjayhawk 3 years, 7 months ago

The Chiefs should take notice...