Saturday, March 20, 2010

Center stage: Big men Eglseder, Aldrich ready for battle

Kansas center Cole Aldrich and Lehigh forward Zahir Carrington compete for a loose ball during the first half, Thursday, March 18, 2010 at the Ford Center in Oklahoma City.

Videos

KU vs. UNI pregame

video thumbnail

Kansas will take on Northern Iowa Saturday in the 2010 NCAA tournament. The Jayhawks are looking to advance to the Sweet 16.

KU vs. UNI

Check out these stories for more about KU basketball's upcoming game against Northern Iowa:

Panther coach unconventional

Morrises relish twindom

Teahan flirts with football future

KU's next victory: in the cards — or socks?

— Underpublicized University of Northern Iowa center Jordan Eglseder knows all there is to know about renowned Kansas University big man Cole Aldrich.

“I see him on TV all the time. He blocks 100 shots a game,” said Eglseder, a 7-foot, 280-pound senior man mountain from Bellevue, Iowa.

Eglseder takes a team-leading 11.9 scoring average and 7.4 rebound mark into today’s second-round NCAA Midwest Regional game, set for a 4:40 p.m. start in Ford Center.

“He’s skilled, powerful. I need to get into his body to see what I can do,” added Eglseder, who, like Aldrich, is not afraid to throw his weight around.

Of course, Eglseder has more body to work with. Aldrich, who averages 11.2 points, 9.8 rebounds and 3.5 blocks, tips the scales at 6-11, 245 pounds.

“He’s just a big body,” Aldrich said of Eglseder, who scored nine points and grabbed 10 rebounds while playing 18 minutes in Thursday’s 69-66 first-round victory over UNLV.

“Dexter Pittman (Texas’ 6-10, 290-pound pivot) is probably one of the best you can compare to him. He moves his feet well and has great hands,” added Aldrich, who had seven points off 2-of-10 shooting with five rebounds while holding Pittman to three points off 1-of-5 shooting with three boards in KU’s 80-68 victory over the Longhorns on Feb. 8 in Austin.

Eglseder had 20 points and 14 rebounds in a huge 63-60 victory on Dec. 2 at Iowa State

Like Aldrich, Eglseder recalls facing just one true pivot this season. That’d be Garrett Stutz, a 7-foot, 240-pound sophomore from Wichita State.

He had 10 points and four boards, compared to Stutz’s 11 points and six boards in UNI’s 67-52 victory in the Missouri Valley postseason-tourney title game. Stutz, who is just a sophomore, played sparingly in the other two games versus UNI.

“I’d definitely rather play against one bigger guy than two 6-6, 6-7 guys who guard me. It makes it a lot easier,” Eglseder said.

“Just going out and seeing another true center is always fun. It’s going to be a battle in the paint tomorrow,” said Aldrich, who had five blocks in KU’s 90-74 first-round victory over Lehigh and needs just seven to tie Greg Ostertag as KU’s top shot-blocker in history (he has 251 to Ostertag’s 258).

Actually, these two pivots have played against each other before, though details are somewhat sketchy.

“His 15-year-old AAU team, the Minnesota Magic, came down to Cedar Falls. I was a junior (at Marquette High). He was a sophomore. They made a three at the buzzer to beat us,” Eglseder said. “We were both around the same size. He was more athletic than I was. It was pretty physical.”

Aldrich has a recollection of going against the left-handed shooter.

“My dad called me today to share a memory about that,” Cole said. “It’s tough to remember. We’ve played so much basketball between now and then. I do remember going there for an AAU tournament. He was good back then, and he’s only gotten better.”

Eglseder, who has never fouled out in a college game in a career spanning 163 games (Aldrich has fouled out in two of 110 games), will find out today if Aldrich is the best big man he ever has faced.

His current No. 1 foe? Andrew Bynum, a 7-footer who plays for the Los Angeles Lakers.

“He was a handful,” Eglseder said of Bynum, whom he faced in a camp setting.

KU coach Bill Self, who has to worry about more than stopping Eglseder (UNI has made 220 of 617 threes for 35.7 percent and has held foes to just 54.6 ppg), knows what Aldrich has to do to win the matchup and help KU win the game.

“One of the keys is Cole needs to be the most athletic, quicker of the two,” Self said. “He’s not going to go through this guy at all. He didn’t go through Pittman at all. He has to go in understanding he has to make a quick move because there’s going to be some other purple jerseys down there on top of him.

“It’ll take footwork and catching the ball in areas where he (Aldrich) can go to work as opposed to catching it outside the scoring area.”

Comments

Scott MacWilliams 9 years, 10 months ago

Well alrighty then!

On to round two, and a true post for Cole to dance with. Don't expect anything less than a real game, as it seems everybody that gets past the first round has a shot now. I'm guessing the Morris twins will have to help Cole a bit to keep UNI on their heels.

ROCK CHALK, JAYHAWKS!!!

ParisHawk 9 years, 10 months ago

Taking stock:

• In terms of point spread, we had the least impressive win of the 1 seeds, although I thought Lehigh played pretty well.

• After round one, the Big 12 is the conference with the most teams still in the Dance (5 for us, three other conferences have 4).

• Our region is missing the 3 seed and one of the two teams that beat us. All the other regions still have the top three seeds intact.

• Here's a statistical coincidence: kenpom.com gives all the other 1 seeds the exact same chance to win round 2, 78%. He gives us an 84% chance to win. By the way, he's calling the KSU-BYU game just about even.

TarzanKUfan 9 years, 10 months ago

I have a bad feeling about today. I think it might be a bad day to be a Jayhawk fan.

ParisHawk 9 years, 10 months ago

TarzanKUfan,

Here's something that might make you feel better: a full court press!

If the guys start out so slow, how about Coach Self making them come out at 110% by pressing after the first few made baskets? Get a little out of character for a few minutes, knock'em on their heels, change the pace.

If the other team sees that and calls a timeout, immediately go back to our normal defense. Then a few minutes later, change the pace again.

fansincewilt 9 years, 10 months ago

I wonder how we match up at the other positions. It sounds as if they have pretty good shooters. How do they handle the Morris twins? I think sometimes we double down too much leaving us vulnerable to the 3. However, that may be the best approach. How do they counteract Xavier? He may have a big day.

yates33333 9 years, 10 months ago

Does anyone know if these games are available as archives? Last year all the games could be seen on the NCAA computer cast during the contest and after. This year I have yet to find how to see them after the game has ended. I wish CBS would lose the right to telecast the NCAA playoffs. In my area they do a bad job.

dynamitehawk 9 years, 10 months ago

Paris, I can dig the Champs- Élysées. I find it rather calming, although I've never actually tried strolling it before a Hawks' game. You can't beat Mass street on game day though.

RockCaCO3 9 years, 10 months ago

Tarzan - There's never a bad day as a Jayhawk fan.

RCJH!!!!

Steve Gantz 9 years, 10 months ago

Tarzan, don't believe the hype. The media loves these mid majors and pumps them up to be this miracle team that's going to take the nation by storm. Of course it happens every once in a while, (we all remember Davidson), but for the most part these hyped mid majors are exposed as teams that built their records on inferior competition.

Steve Gantz 9 years, 10 months ago

Follow up on No Iowa, they lost four games, including one to Depaul, Wichita St, Bradley, and Evansville. Four non tourney teams. Their best big 6 conference wins would be Iowa (sucked this year), Iowa St. and Boston College. They beat 1 tourney team Siena at home. KU will be the 1st ranked team they'll play all year. Maybe all this is why they're a 9 seed.

hawksince51 9 years, 10 months ago

Tarzan--I don't have a "bad feeling" about this game but I share the concerns about our habit of starting slow against a team that can hit the 3. That makes it a lot tougher to have a catch-up run and can kill you down the stretch. We should win by double digits but NIU is a team that cannot be taken lightly. Cole and Twins need to stay out of foul trouble because I would not like to see significant minutes from T-Rob against these guys. Our guards are going to have to defend the 3 and hit some as well. Rock Chalk

minnhawk84 9 years, 10 months ago

UNI beat Iowa State by 3 in Ames last December, 63-60. That had to be a huge motivational game for them, playing one of the "big boys" in Iowa. We beat ISU in Ames 84-61. I guess they have a "better" defense by allowing only 60 pts vs our 61. I guess we have a better offense putting up 21 more points on ISU than they did. I always like head-to-head comparisons. UNI will be motivated, but they are going down hard this afternoon.......

James122 9 years, 10 months ago

Ku wins by 20+--They will try to slow the pace down, but great defense and the bigs inside will be to much.

The only factor that scares me, TO's, if we are in double digits we will a very close game.

Go hawks!!

phillyh3 9 years, 10 months ago

kus guards should eat uni's guards alive. hopefully ku fans bring their A games today because i know kstate and uni fans will

Mike Kendall 9 years, 10 months ago

Tarzan, Tarzan, Tarzan----what are we going to do with you!!!!!

Maybe as you're swinging on a vine, you run into a tree and have some sense knocked into you---wake up and smell the Jayhawks, baby!

jayhawkintexas 9 years, 10 months ago

This is potentially a trap game. Close game with a few seconds remaining and UNI has the ball. That is what we have to avoid by having a double digit lead with a few seconds remaining.

Philip Garver 9 years, 10 months ago

Huge snowstorm here in OKC today, six to ten inches of snow and ice. I hope the fans show up.

Mike Kendall 9 years, 10 months ago

hawksince51-- I share your concern about the Jayhawks starting off slow, too. I will say this---Jayhawks need to pick up the pace. Transition points and they need to hit the treys. Tyrel Reed should be licking his chops like a Lion licking his because there is a fresh zebra in front of him. Full court pressure, half court trap---just like Keegan said in the CramSession, should do the trick. Speed the game up, make UNI uncomfortable. I have seen UNI play several times. They love a sloooooooow pace. You, as an opponent, cannot let the pace be slow.

Rock Chalk Jayhawks! Win Jayhawks!

Steve Brown 9 years, 10 months ago

three options:

NIowa blows out KU: 1% KU blows out NI: 40% Tight game one team wins by 8-10: 60%

Concerns are give NI life at end of game and 2/3 of the fans in the stands from other teams give NI hope. We'll have to hit our FT and drain some nice open shots plus play TO defense, to live another day. We are #1 and have the monkey on our backs.

choke the NIowa monkey.

Lance Hobson 9 years, 10 months ago

Thanks for choking Oklahoma St. They have done nothing for us this year.

lovemyhawks 9 years, 10 months ago

the snowstorm the night of ku-cornell did not keep ku fans away at all and that was HUGE! ..... i was there and got stranded and it was a tough game to watch but we got the win. hopefully the snow will not keep the fans away today because we need them!!! i'm not OVERLY concerned about today's game but my biggest fear is foul trouble for cole and the twins...... something we have to stay away from, from now on out. turnovers are a concern too but today with the big men, i think fouls are what we need to watch for and AVOID!! hope we start a bit stronger too......... we must quit creating holes to dig out of or pretty soon one will be tooooooo deep........ RCJH!!!!

lovemyhawks 9 years, 10 months ago

oh yeah..... free throws...... yes, THAT is a definite concern for the next 5 games if we are still winning........ first of all we need to GET to the free throw line then more importantly we must we MAKING THEM!!!!! 5 for 10 is really ugly and i don't want to see that again.........

Kye Clark 9 years, 10 months ago

Not overly concerned with today's game. UNI actually has two wins over tournament teams (not one as was previously mentioned) - Siena & Old Dominion - and has played no ranked teams all year. No games against teams in the RPI top 25. No road or neutral site wins over tournament teams. Given the poor start against Lehigh, this team has been given a wake-up call and will come out of the blocks with a vengence. I predict we jump out early and from that point on it's a boat race, we just slowly pull further and further away. Even if we are having an off-day shooting, UNI lacks the offensive firepower to ever take much of a lead. This Jayhawk team has played and excelled in its fair share of grind it out games, and we have the ultimate closer in Sherron. St. Louis here we come.

KULA 9 years, 10 months ago

Man Up, Tarzan, ya NervousNellie, haha.

BCRavenJHawkfan 9 years, 10 months ago

icthawkfan316:

You should know as well as anyone that MVC teams are better than some give credit. You are correct on all the items you point out about Northern Iowa, but do remember the lack of top opponents during the season (early) is not as much their doing as it is no school wanted to schedule an MVC school. I believe that was one of Mark Turgeon's frustrations while at Wichita State.

Jaylee 9 years, 10 months ago

im noticing a lot of syracuse in the final four from posters? anyone hear that their big man is no longer playing? i think theyre bums compared to some of the other teams, especially K-State, who some people have losing to BYU? gimme a break on that one.

100 9 years, 10 months ago

Look back at some of the highlights of the last few games.

Watch us pass the ball & play D.

We are, by the game, beginning to look a whole lot like that 2008 team.

It is beginning to turn into beautiful basketball.

As for starters, I'd take Sherron over Mario any day of the week.

And I'd take Cole over Arthur.

And I'd take Marcus over D. Jackson, although these two are two of the toughest kids I've ever seen. But Marcus's inside moves are devestating to a defender who doesn't want his ankles broken.

Honestly at this point in the season, as much as I liked Rush, Now that the gel is occuring with this KU team, I'd take X over Brandon. X is just tough & really has a shot an an intensity that is really coming alive the last few games. And his hands are so quick on steals & his arms are twice as long & thick as any normal human's.

And TT -- I love this kid. He like the rest of the team is really gelling at the right time. I would put him in the lineup over RUssel Robinson simply because of what he's brought to the table the last few games: great D, great patience, great athleticism, a great spark, and runs the Offense properly. He has a gear that Robinson didn't have.

As for backups, I love Reed & Morningstar, absolute teammates that can be counted on. And Kief, the prototypical Darnel Jackson type player, although a lot sneakier.

November I didn't believe this yet, but now I do -- the team is gling beautifully.

And we have seasoned Cole & Sherron as starters, absolute winners.

Honestly in 2008 we didn't have an automatic shotblocker either -- Kaun was a good presence, but he wasn't Cole "Wilt Chamberlain" Aldrich.

Let's go take care of business today Jayhawks!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tony Bandle 9 years, 10 months ago

Press their guards, run their big men, stop the three, make the bunnies, keep the turnovers low, nobody foul out, crash the boards, make your free throws, hit some threes, in your face defense,

The Jayhawks do any five of these items on this list, they will win!!

KKunde 9 years, 10 months ago

Small blog, just started today... Hopefully will be updating as we keep winning. Have a good one.

Jaylee 9 years, 10 months ago

@100 i think those are all decent points. debatable, but decent, fo sho!

i just wanted to comment that brandon wasn't AS successful as i think X will be once he gets a little more muscle on him as an upperclassmen, but mostly because i feel like rush had the team completely on his shoulders sometimes and didn't have all these other fantastic go-to guys this year's team has. we had at least 3 guys in double digits the other night? a couple more close.

we're a brutal opponent who keeps stacking on the blocks when everyone else runs out.

KULA 9 years, 10 months ago

100-Another thing TT has more of is end to end speed. And the hops to run either end of the alley oop. I think TT is better now than Mario was as a soph. I know that's a bold statement, but I'll stand by it. I can't remember when we've had a 1-2 guard with as much athleticism.

KULA 9 years, 10 months ago

CBS just ran a nice profile on the twins. Hope you all caught it.

Kye Clark 9 years, 10 months ago

BCRaven - yeah I wasn't blaming UNI for their schedule, but it's worth pointing out that they haven't been tested against...much of anybody really. I wasn't saying that they're a cupcake or anything, but at the same time they aren't the kind of team that scares me. I agree it's tougher for those schools to schedule quality opponents. It's possible, but they have to be willing to bite the bullet and play on the road without promises of a return trip. No home & homes.

Timothy Todd 9 years, 10 months ago

Here's how KU loses today: UNI comes out full of adreneline and KU plays tentative defense. UNI sinks three or four threes and picks up a double digit lead early. Sherron begins to press and makes poor, quick shots. UNI slows it down. Cole gets in foul trouble. UNI picks up confidence and hits more threes. KU tries to come back but plays tight causing turnovers and poor shot selections. UNI hits a miracle three or two and keeps the pace slow. KU continues to be frustrated and clanks threes. Time ticks away and KU loses by six. Here's how KU wins today: UNI comes out full of adreneline but KU plays strong, pressing defense. KU moves the ball around and hits jump shots while Cole frustrates their big man. Cole is quicker down the court some UNI turnovers lead to quick KU scores. KU outrebounds them due to better athleticism and talent. UNI crashes from their adreneline rush and the KU bench keeps the Jayhawks fresh. KU takes control of the game and wins by 14. I post this because my wife is sick of listening to me! All my humble opinion! RCJH!

jaybate 9 years, 10 months ago

"jaybate game assessement service: KU vs.NIU: "

Match-ups, match-ups, match-ups.

~What NIU Has:

~Any team with a big post man has made KU struggle at least half of a game this year. NIU has one.

~Any team that has size at the three has given X problems. NIU has size at the 3.

~Any team with short quick guards that can stay with Sherron and Tyshawn has forced KU to resort to outside shooting with Tyrel and Brady and Sherron. NIU may have these, but I can't tell.

~Any team with size and depth at the 4 has a chance to keep the Twins under 20 and that makes KU struggle, unless the twins can shut the other four down. NIU is 2 deep at the 4 at 6'8" and 6'9."

~Any team that can stay close and shoot free throws is a threat. NIU shoots a terrific 75%.

~Any team with a good disruption stat can stay close. NIU has 5 steals and 10 TOs, which is good.

~Any team that can pass for assists and hold down the TOs in the face of pressure defense denies KU the well spring of its offense--the KU defense. NIU is 1:1.

What NIU Lacks:

~Trifectation. NIU only shoots 36%.

~Not much shot blocking.

NIU Summarized:

~NIU is a great free throw shooting, down the middle team with a big front line that uses 9 players and their fouls to make up for what they lack in athleticism. NIU is KU, but without the trifectation and athleticism. NIU's scoring is diversified, but it requires its 5, 4 and 1 to get it done.

jaybate 9 years, 10 months ago

How KU wins:

~Hold them below averages at the 5, 4, and 1.

~Outscore them at the 1, 2 and 3.

~Defense and Disruption--most teams have not been able to put pressure on NIU and break it down with disruption. If KU's pressure defense can get steals and force TOs, NIU will disintegrate, because it wins with defense, ball protection and forcing it inside.

~Turn it into a trey contest. KU sags inside and shows some zone and gives NIU the trey stripe, while stretching NIU's defense with a mix of trey shooting and dribble penetration by Sherron.

~Take the game to NIU's center and foul him up quick, both by feeding Cole and by Sherron, Tyshawn and X driving on the NIU center.

~NIU's center only plays 21 minutes a game. Play through Cole the minute he exits.

How NIU Wins:

~First, NIU can beat KU, if KU shoots poorly from the trey today, the game defaults into grind it out, NIU's center stays out of foul trouble, and it turns into a FT shooting contest.

~NIU can hang with KU, if it can protect the ball against KU's pressure defense, not if not.

~Get back on defense like they never have in their lives.

The Keys for KU:

Pressure and disruption. Look for KU to really try to strip on these guys.

Marcus/Kieff and X. The 4 and 5 is where KU ought to destroy NIU, though we may not see this for awhile, if Self decides to play through Cole to foul up NIU's big man.

Prediction:

If the refs call fouls, it could be a close game, because NIU is a great FT shooting team. If they are not calling fouls, the game will get ugly and bog down for awhile, but then KU's trey shooting and speed will eventually kick in and KU will separate.

NIU is the kind of team that gives KU problems unless KU is shooting the trey well. But NIU is also the kind of team--a big team with lousy trifectation--that KU has beaten in ugly games all season.

If KU comes to play it could be a blow out, because NIU has probably never dealt with the kind of pressure KU puts on.

If KU does not come to play, this has upset marked on it much more than Lehigh did.

Bottom line: KU by 20, because I expect Self to geek'em up a little for this one...especially Cole. If he doesn't geek'em, that is, if he decides to keep it close to keep them a little scared going into next weekend, then it will be the usual 10-15 point separation the last 9 minutes. Regardless, I do think Self's going to challenge Cole's manhood and say don't just defend this big lug, score on him. You haven't scored on a big man all season, you wimp. Cole is likely to respond...if his knees aren't too bad. Self will do this to build up some offensive confidence in Cole. KU will need Cole to score from the Elite 16 on to have a good chance of winning the ring.

Steve Gantz 9 years, 10 months ago

I predict CBS switches to another more interesting game by the 5:00 mark of the 1st half.

Mike Kendall 9 years, 10 months ago

Jaylee--- To answer your earlier question---CBS pointed out at 11 a.m. EST, that the big man is out for Syracuse. I saw a smidge of the Cuse and they looked good, as of now. Need I remind everyone, no team has lost their opening round game of their Post-Season Tournament and have gone on to win the NC. If Syracuse can do it, they would make history. I think they'll falter sometime down the road. They will have their hands full with Gonzaga. The Zags need to feed the bigs!

Marcia Parsons 9 years, 10 months ago

They shoot 75% free throws as a team, so I hope we don't commit many shooting fouls unless we are making our freebies today.

jaybate 9 years, 10 months ago

Post script:

I foresee TRob and/or Withey playing some minutes the first half. The big NIU center would be a good match-up for Withey, but Self seems to have made a choice to go with TRob down the stretch to season him for the game with Contucky that Self seems to expect.

FairgroveJayhawk 9 years, 10 months ago

Stats from: http://www.college-basketball-rankings.com/ncaa-bracket-tips.html

as of 2008, the #1 seed has lost 12 times in the second round or 12.5%. Three times to the number 9 seed, nine times to the number 8 seed.

Therefore from a statistical standpoint, KU has a 3.1% chance of loosing, as does UK as they are playing a 9 seed also. Syracuse and Duke have an 8 seed. They have a 9.4% chance of loosing; three times more likely than us.

I'd take a 3% chance of loosing any day in the NCAA tournament but I still can't help but be nervous.

BCRavenJHawkfan 9 years, 10 months ago

MrPilot:

No real surprise. As we all know, Nova was the absolute weakest #2 seed, even would have been a weak #3 seed in my opinion.

jaybate 9 years, 10 months ago

ralster,

Once the referees swallow their whistles in The Madness, skill, athleticism and speed are dramatically discounted as weights in any team's favor.

If NIU can muscle us and shoot a little better from trey than usual, they will be a big problem

I really think this game comes down to muscle advantage at the two and three positions, plus the 20 minutes NIU's footer is out.

Cole can stalemate any big guy, but he can't put many points on the board against a big.

If Marcus/Kieff and X can muscle their opposites, then we'll kill them. If not, not.

Sherron will outscore his guy by 5-15.

Tyshawn will have one of his glue games, and maybe shake loose for a 15-20 point game, because of speed.

I could see us beat this team by 30-40 points on one of our good days, but I can see us getting into a nail biter with them if they can hold down the TOs, get a little lead and the refs start calling fouls and putting NIU on the line.

Their almost insurmountable problem is going to be scoring on us. We are going to going to pack it in and completely deny them their usual inside and 15 foot game. And unless they are on a lucky day, they can't shoot the trey, but for one fellow.

Regardless, this is a very, very good opportunity for Cole, TRob and Withey to get used to keep the experience of playing against footers fresh in their minds for next week when the thug ball begins.

Tony Bandle 9 years, 10 months ago

Everybody has posted rational analysii regarding the upcoming game, looking at the good and the bad, the strengths and the weaknesses.

Let me post an irrational analysis. There is no f*g way we lose today. We've come too far, overcame too much, been ignored, devalued, tolerated and put down by media around the country.

It has always been us against the rest of the world. It will always be us against the rest of the world. Despite our heritage, our rightful claim as the cradle of collegiate basketball, we will always be the outsiders, the boys from the plains, Dorothy's farmhands. That's OK because we have each other.

This not basketball...this is war! And that's why I think the Hawks "get it"!!! Northern Iowa is about to see the real Kansas Tornado!!

This is a fight for KU Nation. This is a fight for the KU Legacy. This is a fight against all the doubters, naysayers, critics and faint of heart. That I can claim to be a Jayhawk is, well, it's pricelessl!!

Either you with us or against us....you choose!!!!

Ron Franklin 9 years, 10 months ago

It's always good to be a Jayhawk!

WATCH ON LINE: I have been able to catch every game on Channelsurfing.net.

Rock Chalk!

Mike Kendall 9 years, 10 months ago

Damn, Oakville---I'm ready to play for you! I'm with ya, man!!!!!!

FairgroveJayhawk 9 years, 10 months ago

Oakville - I'm with you. there is no f*g way we lose today.

Everyone does know of 610am radio right? They cover the KU games many times. I don't know if they'll have broadcast rights to the game itself but they have a pregame show on right now. I didn't listen to the radio in the first game but will for this one in the likely event CBS changes coverage.

gchawk 9 years, 10 months ago

One item that hasn't really been brought up is the fact about our slow start Thursday. Our guys were "tight", meaning, they weren't taking that game for granted. I was encouraged by the fact that our slow start was NOT due to lack of effort. I feel good about today's game, we'll be fine. KU by 18. RCJHGKU

John Randall 9 years, 10 months ago

[ Not overly concerned with today's game. UNI actually has two wins over tournament teams (not one as was previously mentioned) - Siena & Old Dominion - and has played no ranked teams all year. No games against teams in the RPI top 25. No road or neutral site wins over tournament teams. ]

Really? Reduced visibility may be less of a problem here than where you guys live --

Last I heard, UNLV was a) a tourney team, b) ranked a few time this year c) playing for a 6 or 7 seed in their conf tourney. Did I hear wrong?

ROCK CHALK! GO 'HAWKS?

ParisHawk 9 years, 10 months ago

OakvilleJHawk,

After rational, calm analysis of your post I can only say : Right On, Man !!!!! Blast'em ! Don't let'em score ! Dunk and shoot them into oblivion ! Ku Rules !

Thank you for calming me down, I was getting a bit too emotional.

Rock Chalk.

hawksince51 9 years, 10 months ago

Halftime--just as I feared, another slow start, they are hitting the 3's, and Marcus is in foul trouble. Gotta step it up or go home early!! Rock Chalk

ku_bringback_danny 9 years, 10 months ago

We are cursed OKC is no good to Kansas in the NCAAs. Does anybody remember Rhode Island, Bucknell & now it's gonna be Northern Iowa. So much for the overall #1 seed I think Duke Got that!!!!!!!!!

escaped_labrat 9 years, 10 months ago

This is crazy. Are we playing a team of All-Americans that will suddenly fall back to anonymity after...geeez!

escaped_labrat 9 years, 10 months ago

sorry, but time to take Collins out of the game. He's going to lose it for us today.

escaped_labrat 9 years, 10 months ago

Nice year KU...thanks for the memories anyways. Now I have another team to add to my hate list. Look out, here come the Northern Iowa Missouri Tiger T-Shirts. Can't rob fate.... Game...set.....match.