Saturday, March 20, 2010

Teahan flirts with football future

Conner Teahan

Conner Teahan

KU vs. UNI

Check out these stories for more about KU basketball's upcoming game against Northern Iowa:

Panther coach unconventional

Morrises relish twindom

Center stage: Big men Eglseder, Aldrich ready for battle

KU's next victory: in the cards — or socks?

— Kansas University football coach Turner Gill won’t know who his quarterback will be until he sees all the candidates compete for the job during spring practice. It’s possible Gill will have one more candidate than even he knows.

Conner Teahan, a junior walk-on on the Kansas basketball team who was highly recruited as a quarterback out of Rockhurst High, said once the basketball season ends, he’ll give thought to whether he wants to resume his football career.

“I would be lying if I told you it didn’t cross my mind, that’s for sure,” Teahan told the Journal-World before Friday’s basketball practice inside the Ford Center. “But I don’t know. Would I do it? I’m not saying I wouldn’t do it, but we’d have to see where we are at the end of the basketball season.”

Teahan repeatedly emphasized he is training his mental and physical energy on the goals of the basketball team. Proving his mind is trained on basketball, Teahan, a 6-foot-5, 215 pound three-point-shooting specialist, said he has not spoken with anyone from the football program.

“I would only do it if I thought there was a chance to compete for the starting job,” Teahan said. “I’ve always been very confident in my football skills. I’ve always had a strong arm, and I feel like my height has helped me. I’d have to put on some pounds and get a little bit stronger, which I understand. But, I mean, it’s something that I definitely have not put that option away.”

Teahan said he was offered a football scholarship from Tulsa and was told by a Missouri coach that he would be offered one if a player the Tigers were waiting to get a commitment from went elsewhere. He also said he talked with former Kansas State football coach Ron Prince and was recruited to play both sports by K-State.

Comments

jhawk2817 11 years ago

DO IT CONNOR!!!

I remember u at the Rockhurst games. Kale is good but you (although a little rusty) would be better I think.

kbeck 11 years ago

Go for it Conner, how many guys have the ability to play and participate in even one sport on the D1 level let alone two. It would be a great accomplishment and add your name to the list of other two sport legacies from KU.

Steve Brown 11 years ago

if you are willing to take a few charging fouls from a couple linebackers then give it a try.

this is the perfect story diversion the team needs to get mind off the fact they are the #1 target of the big show. nicely done.

Dirk Medema 11 years ago

Now that is recruiting!

If Coach Gill can get a recruit away from Coach Self, then Stoops, Brown, Snyder, ..., none of them stand a chance!

Tony Bandle 11 years ago

Now don't take this the wrong way because I love having a Zac Efron look-alike on the team, but to be a three point specialist, don't you have to make some three pointers?

Just kidding..I know he works hard in practice and plays the prime three point shooter on the opponent practice team so I know he is contributing to the team.

I truly think he should look at this option seriously. If I'm not mistaken, he has at least years of FOOTBALL eligibilty if he wants go that route.

Being 6'-5", 215 lbs is insignificant in basketball, but at Quartereback it's excellent.

Conner, go for itr, dude!! Everybody wants to be quarterback!!

Tony Bandle 11 years ago

PS If I coulkd typpe, I'ed be dangerroius!! :}

I meant "three years" and last time I looked, there was no "r" in it!!

jaybate 11 years ago

Conner,

Flirt with girls, not football.

Play hoops.

mackdaddy 11 years ago

Teahan might as well give football a try. Let's be honest, as much as you want a local kid to succeed, he's never going to see important minutes on the basketball court.

troutsee 11 years ago

Except for Bian Luke, I don't ever remember KU ever having a tall QB. I guess Douglas was 6.3" though, wasn't he?

Mike Kendall 11 years ago

Could be interesting, if Connor does football for Coach Gill. I don't think he will see much PT next season for Self--what is there to lose? Good luck with your decision, Connor! Rock Chalk!

jhokfan 11 years ago

Does he have a future in basketball when he's done with college? Probably not.

6'5", 215 pounds. Add some weight and he is the prototype NFL QB.

Josh Freeman was a mediocre college QB and he got drafted in the first round.

Should he pursue football? Definitely.

moehobart 11 years ago

Can someone tell me how much football eligibility he would have? I really hope he gives this an honest thought. He comes from an amazing football program.

KU_FAN 11 years ago

Does anyone remember when Michael Lee talked about playing football? I think he would have been a wide receiver.