Kansas defeats Oklahoma, 81-68

• 8 p.m., Feb. 22, 2010
  • Allen Fieldhouse, Lawrence, KS

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

A league of his own

KU wins Big 12; Collins sets mark

Kansas guard Sherron Collins kisses the Big 12 championship trophy after the Jayhawks' win over Oklahoma, Monday, Feb. 22, 2010 at Allen Fieldhouse. In back is Kansas forward Marcus Morris.

Audio clips

2010 KU-Oklahoma

Reader poll

What is KU's toughest game left on the schedule?

• at Oklahoma State 11% 532 votes
  • vs. Kansas State 55% 2497 votes
  • at Missouri 30% 1379 votes
  • Undecided 1% 66 votes

4474 total votes.

Reader poll

Will the KU men's basketball team go undefeated in Big 12 regular season play?

• Yes 61% 1246 votes
  • No 28% 568 votes
  • Not sure 10% 214 votes

2028 total votes.

Kansas defeats Sooners, wins Big 12

The Jayhawks won their sixth-straight Big 12 Conference title with a win over Oklahoma Monday, Feb. 22, 2010 at Allen Fieldhouse.

Reader poll

If you could only pick one Jayhawk, which would you put on the first-team All-Big 12 roster?

• Marcus Morris 11% 306 votes
  • Sherron Collins 41% 1145 votes
  • Cole Aldrich 47% 1304 votes

2755 total votes.

Kansas University senior Sherron Collins planted a big kiss on the Big 12 championship trophy, then at the urging of his teammates, hoisted the hardware high over his head as he headed out the northwest tunnel, putting the finishing touches on a short but sweet celebration late Monday night in Allen Fieldhouse.

“Of course it had to be him. He’s the leader of our team. It’s his fourth one. Not too many people can say they’ve won four (league titles),” KU freshman Xavier Henry said, proudly deferring to elder statesman Collins despite scoring 23 points — 18 the first half — in the Jayhawks’ 81-68 victory over Oklahoma.

The victory assured KU (27-1 overall, 13-0 Big 12) at least a tie for its sixth consecutive league championship. The best Kansas State (9-3) can do is share the crown with the Jayhawks, and it’d take three straight Jayhawk losses and four straight KSU wins for the ’Cats to accomplish that feat.

“Heavy. It was really heavy,” Collins said, referring to the trophy.

Not that he was complaining.

“It felt great to hold it up for the fans,” said Collins.

He scored 17 points and dished six assists on a night he officially became the winningest player in a four-year span in KU history (124 victories), busting a tie with Billy Thomas, C.B. McGrath and Raef LaFrentz. Brady Morningstar (red-shirt in 2007-08) also has been with the KU team that last four years.

“The guys gave it to me. They said, ‘You be the one to do it (carry it to the locker room).’ They know it’s my last couple of games,” Collins added of a sentimental group of teammates who realize he has just the Senior Day game against Kansas State (March 3) left in the fieldhouse in his KU career.

The Jayhawks, who led by as many as 23 points the second half on a night OU missed its first 11 shots, likely would not even have held a trophy ceremony Monday if not for the fact it’s Big 12 policy to present a trophy the moment a team clinches a tie.

“Tonight they asked me before the game if we won do I want to make a big deal out of it. I said absolutely not,” Self said. “You make a big deal out of it when you win it outright.

“Obviously, that (trophy presentation) is something that needed to be done. I’m really proud of this group. They’ve had a good year. I still think there’s room for us to get better.”

“I think it’s a big deal,” Self said. “Of course here at KU it doesn’t matter if you win six in a row. They weren’t talking about us winning the conference championship when Bucknell beat us or when Bradley beat us (in NCAA Tournament first round).

“It’s not the biggest story of the year, but I think from a coach’s perspective and not a fan’s perspective or a media perspective, I think your goal every year is to be the best team in your respective league. That’s who you have to compete against. To do it six straight years is an unbelievable accomplishment.”

A lot of players have been involved.

“To do it with three different teams, that’s the thing I’m probably most proud of,” Self said. “You have the team with Wayne (Simien), Keith (Langford) and Aaron (Miles). You have the team with Mario (Chalmers) and Brandon (Rush) and Julian (Wright), and then you have this totally new team with Cole (Aldrich), Sherron, Ty (Taylor) and the (Morris) twins and that kind of stuff. I don’t know of too many teams from a BCS league ... it’s one thing to win it with the same players. We’ve won it with three different sets.”

Of course, the team is not perfect.

Self was upset that KU didn’t crack the Sooners late.

“You’ve got to have a killer instinct and bury people,” Self said. “We didn’t bury them tonight, and it should have been a game where everybody got to play.”

He didn’t end on a negative note.

“I’m proud of our guys. For Sherron to become the winningest player ever here and Cole to be named basically the student-athlete of the year (Academic All-America player of the year before the game), it was a pretty good day for our basketball program.”

KU will meet Oklahoma State at 3 p.m. Saturday in Stillwater, Okla.

Comments

jayhawker97 4 years, 10 months ago

"...it was a pretty good day for our basketball program.”

and it will only be getting better.. next is tournament trophy, sweet sixteen.. all the way to another NCAA title...

bring it on, yeah, KState, UK, MSU, who wants to get their butts kicked out by the Jayhawks?

Rick Arnoldy 4 years, 10 months ago

This may be the first time I disagree with HCBS. It is a big deal to win the conference championship. Surviving a 16 game jaunt in one of the best leagues year in and year out, that's a test of toughness. Obviously, KU is at a level that it can talk about the NC most years but there's also a lot of luck in March Madness with its win or go home format (not complaining, it's way better than the BCS). A Big 12 championship is a mark of excellence. Congrats, you earned it.

phogthedog 4 years, 10 months ago

I'm gonna cry like a big baby on Senior Night. I bet I'm not the only one, either. When Sherron arrived at KU, I was skeptical of his ability to stay the course and be a leader. I was wrong, wrong, wrong. I'm proud that he is a part of Kansas Basketball history. RCJHGKU

funkitect 4 years, 10 months ago

congrats jayhawks! another fantastic season.

with the play towards the end of the last couple games, though, i hope self takes the opportunity to remind the team of the michigan state game in the tourney last year. we can't get comfortable with big early leads; we've got to have a killer instinct. don't just step on their necks, break their necks!

Steve Brown 4 years, 10 months ago

162515- if all the same I prefer not to share.

“We didn’t bury them tonight, and it should have been a game where everybody got to play.” agreed. then play them, trust them, pull starters that can't finish.

Sally Presson 4 years, 10 months ago

Senior night is so emotional and having it be Sherron's night, there's not going to be a dry eye in Allen Field House. I was there a couple of years ago and did cry like a baby. When these guys give us 4 years it's so hard to let them go, they're family. We've all grown with Sherron, what a wonderful young man he is!! Actually this entire team has great character as well as so much talent. give 'em hell these next 3 games!!!

Ron Prichard 4 years, 10 months ago

162515--Why do we have to remember that? Does it change anything?

BeakofLight 4 years, 10 months ago

agreed about the emotions running full-tilt next wednesday...always a beautiful thing to see young boys metamorphisize into young men at the university of kansas...

my signifigant other is from nebraska and she just doesnt get it as i was trying to explain how emotional senior night will be next week...its a blessing to be part of the jayhawk family as outsiders never will understand the, albeit menial, magnitude of being a part of it...next wednesday will be as emotionally charged as when miles, langford, et al said goodbyes

trueblue9 4 years, 10 months ago

"The Jayhawks became the first team from a BCS conference to win as many as six straight titles since UCLA (1967-79). Kentucky won three SEC East Division titles 2000 to ’05. Gonzaga of the WCC is working on a streak of nine straight league crowns."

Can someone explain why UK winning three division titles in a 6 year period is even remotely relevant? Or is there a typo in there?

dynamitehawk 4 years, 10 months ago

Beak - My significant other graduated from North Carolina. She "gets it" so much that I had to sleep on the couch last night, after singing we're going to party like it 1999 over and over. Unfortunately, in order to sleep on my bed again, I probably will have to sing I would die for you tonight for a while.

PS If neither of those songs were in your head before, I would like to say you're welcome in advance.

afilmer 4 years, 10 months ago

What a great time to be a Hawk fan! HCBS has put this team together deliberately, and patiently. Look how he has reintroduced TT back into the line-up, head screwed back on straight, and playing better than ever. Notice the improvement of Mc Morris, not only from last season, but from the non-con. Examine how he has got X playing his best basketball in the stretch, never having wavered in his belief in the young gunner.

We've dominated the #1 ranking, captured the Academic All-American (Congrats Cole!), watched a senior leader become the all time winner in KU history, and protected our home court like no other team in the nation.

The most important basketball of the season lies ahead of us, and I am all to aware of how heartache can strike after any tip, but for now, I want to make sure that I remember this season for what it has been - pretty damn good!

Rock Chalk

kranny 4 years, 10 months ago

Ohioburg, I think HCBS said it was a big deal(to win a conference championship). He didn't want to make a big deal of it until they won it outright-celebration-wise.

Ron Prichard 4 years, 10 months ago

dynamite, that is the funniest thing I have read today. I'm dating a girl that went to UNC. She has gone to a few KU games with me this year and she actually has had a really good time. She even asked if we could go to the ISU game (we did). I'm slowly converting her, but it has been painful. She has asked me if I like UNC and I have tried to be diplomatic. I think my answer was, "well, I don't hate them anymore..." But I am telling you, we have GOT to beat them to 2000 wins!

...Everything I do, I do it for you...

D@mn It!!

honk_for_hawks 4 years, 10 months ago

true blue, its a typo. its supposed to be 6 straight. although I kind of wonder whether they have actual regular season championships or not. you would think if they won the league 6 in a row they would say that instead of the division.

Christopher Hauser 4 years, 10 months ago

I would just like to point out that Taylor had no turnovers against much better guard competition from Oklahoma than Colorado had. He also got to the free throw line six times and had that second burst of speed that seperates him from a lot of guards in the country. This is good news, I am very proud of how Taylor has stayed the course and is now turning it around when it is needed. This is what college basketball is all about, watching kids make mistakes and grow from them. TT I am very proud of you and I think that all of Hawk nation would say the same.

gardenjay 4 years, 10 months ago

Chrishauser points out something I wonder about. Basketball players by definition have large-ish egos, a necessity for the profession. So, it follows that in these news articles a dropped name might carry some meaning that goes well beyond what it would for a person not so insanely good at this profession.

Therefore, it seems like it is the posters job to be an equalizer to keep the team encouraged based on inbalances in an individual article. I feel bad, for example, in this article that after Xavier Henry scored the most points in a game in which Self is quoted as citing only other players as part of the 'current team'. What the hay!

Note to Self: 'oops'.

oldalum 4 years, 10 months ago

Ohioburg: I agree with Kranny that you misunderstood Self's remarks. He was saying that winning a conference title was very important to him and the team, and that it was one of the goals they set every year. He went on to say that to the media and fans in general it was easily forgotten, as when we lost to Bradley and Bucknell. At KU..."They weren’t talking about us winning the conference championship when Bucknell beat us or when Bradley beat us (in NCAA Tournament first round). Important to him, but not so important to those who think conference championships are no big deal compared to NCAA games.

Timmay97 4 years, 10 months ago

On a personal note and as much as I shouldn't relish the past......

As great as the Hawks are playing in the Big 12 this year, and the fact that they have the "opportunity" to go undefeated, I still think what they accomplished last year was.....frankly......UNBELIEVABLE.

They lost their whole freakin' team sans Collins and someway, somehow, they still managed to win the Big 12 conference. This is when Marcus wasn't nearly as dominant, nor did we have Henry. Brady and Tyrel barely saw the light of day the year before for playing time. And yet, they mananged to win the conference.

For all the success that KU is having this year (and I love every freakin' minute of it) I still find it unfathomable that they won it last year.

Having said the above.....besides Cole, why did we have so much success last year. Sherron Collins! This kid is the epidamy of a college athlete and his success at Kansas is truly earned. I'm proud that he's a Jayhawk. He's going to be making a lot of money next year somewhere supporting that growing family. Gonna miss you Sherron! Thanks for all the sacrifices (giving up starting for two years) you made for the team. You will always be remembered.

BCRavenJHawkfan 4 years, 10 months ago

Timmay97, I know what you are driving at. And if memory serves, even Self was realistic in predicting KU's place in conference last year.

Now, something else that has struck me as this year has unfolded. Many have talked about how good this team is, how the sky is the limit, they could play even better. I think we have all heard those things. I am going to suggest another way to look at this team. This comes from my golf background. In golf, it is often not how good you are or how good a shot you hit. More often it comes down to how good were your bad shots, how well did you minimize a bad round. That's what I have seen so far with this team. The bad play has not been wretched, it has not been for a complete ball game (it may have come close, i.e. Tennessee), but for the most part the bad play has been manageable.

bradynsdad 4 years, 10 months ago

can anyone help with information on anyway to see the pregame on senior night. alot of us cant be in attendance but i would like to see sherron honored. i wish they would show it on tv. can anyone help? thanks

Dirk Medema 4 years, 10 months ago

bradynsdad - I think what you are referring to is the post-game recognition. I also recall someone commenting about KUAC controlling live feeds ($). I can't imagine that LJW won't have them linked the next day. They always have in the past. They just aren't allowed to do it live.

Ron Prichard 4 years, 10 months ago

Actually dagger, I think they also have a ceremony pre-game. Typically the last home game, all seniors will start, their parents will be introduced along with the player and there will be hundreds of roses thrown on the court by fans.

For post-game, I know that the radio stations (610, I think) stayed live last year until after the senior speeches. I know they were linked the following day. I would also guess you could catch the audio live online at 610sports.com if you are out of the local listening area. I don't know about the pre-game, as it is really more of a visual ceremony as opposed to the senior speeches. The TV broadcast might show footage of the introductions, especially if it is the Jayhawk network and not a national feed.

100 4 years, 10 months ago

Re: UK winning 6 straight SEC east championships.

That's like saying Missouri football won 6 straight big 12 North titles.

Tony Bandle 4 years, 10 months ago

Last night's first half showed how good this team can be. Last night's second half showed how pedestrian this team can be.

Of course, I am thrilled for their "conference title" but I see danger ahead. This team still lacks the killer instinct. When they get a big lead, they "go soft" and teams have come back.

It's not so much blowing a big lead but rather knowing how to survive a desperate comeback by an elite team [ UNC in 2008 as an example]. I look at all this self congratulation on the part of the players and fans alike with trepidation.

The 2008 team were warriors, taking due note of their accomplishments but never wavering from the Holy Grail of the National Championship. In a way, the 2008 team had the heart of a Master Assassin......get out of the way or die.

This team needs to become ruthlessly merciless in destroying all who come in their path.....a true Kansas Tornado!!!

jaybate 4 years, 10 months ago

jaybate news service (jns):

Dateline:Lawerence, KS, 2025

Slug: Collins inducted into KU BHOF, Theutus still swears KU should never have been able to win 2010 ring with Collins as PG...

jns stringers in the future report using the latest in tachyon particle technology that Sherron Collins has been inducted in fifteen years hence into the KUBHOF. ,Collins, believed by jns editor/publisher, Mr. jaybate, to be the greatest PG in the history of KU basketball was gracious in his acceptance speech noting that he is truly grateful that his 15 children could share in his induction. At the ceremonies, Coach Bill Self, standing under the 15 straight national championship banners that have been won since Collins 2010 team started the remarkable streak, reiterated his long stated opinion that Sherron Collins remains the greatest impact player at guard that has ever played for Self, but, Self cracked, "I keep looking for a better one and expect to find him tomorrow." Not surprisingly, a KUSports.com web site board rat with the alias of Theutus showed up outside Allen Field House for the induction claiming, "KU should never have won the 2010 ring with Collins leading the team, because Sherron did not make good decisions and he tried to do too much himself." Collins who just hung up his tennies after a 14 year NBA career in which his teams won 3 NBA titles rolled his eyes and laughed, when asked about Theutus comments.

(Note: entirely fiction, no malice. Sherron will probably be inducted much sooner. Rock chalk! )

LAHawk11 4 years, 10 months ago

I am so great full to be a Jayhawk.To see these guys over come all the drama.....like the fight with the football team, Brady getting a DUI, and all the pressure of being the best team in all of the land.This group of guys have come together at the right time....Crunch time.And now we just take it one game at a time and wait to get that #1 over all seed in the field of 65 and go kick some ass.I cant wait to see Mr. Collins get that 2nd ring and go on as one of the greatest Jayhawks ever.Man i love being a Jayhawk. RockChalkJayHawk!!!!!!!!

kubirdfan75 4 years, 10 months ago

Not that collins isn't deserving of the record but why is he the only one getting all the praise Morningstar is also the winningest player at KU

jayhawkintexas 4 years, 10 months ago

I agree with Oakville--great first half, sloppy second half. This team reminds me more of the '97 team than the '08 team. The '97 team only lost one game until they were bounced in the tournament by Arizona. Hopefully this team will win it all but they have to play 40 minutes every game and not get sloppy when they get a big lead. Congratulations on the conference championship, guys. You certainly deserve it and you make us all proud to be Jayhawks.

stan777 4 years, 10 months ago

Congratulations to the team and to Collins. Its nice to see these boards offer a way to reach out to the players, but i hope these guys dont think we know what we're talking about. Listen to your coach, us fans are just in for the ride.

okiedave 4 years, 10 months ago

Thank you God that I was born in the USA Thank you God that I chose to be a Jayhawk Life one big final four

okiedave 4 years, 10 months ago

oops.

Thank you God that I was born in the USA Thank you God that I chose to be a Jayhawk Life - one big final four

Mike Kendall 4 years, 10 months ago

Okiedave---Hawks are invading your territory come Saturday. Set the mood for us, big fella!!!!!!! How's it looking down thare? Is O-State going for the Jugular? Or are they scared like Stupidmichael?

okiedave 4 years, 10 months ago

mikendal - Will do. Problem is I have a KU flag flighing high and a Jayhawk painted on rock in my yard and our paper boy graduated from OU with an MBA. I did not get a paper this morning.

Mike Kendall 4 years, 10 months ago

okiedave---- Hummm--------sounds a little presumptuous! Chuckberry32 probably also, feels your pain, since he is in Kentucky bluegrass land.

Dale Kroening 4 years, 10 months ago

kubirdfan75 Collins gets more credit because he played the last 4 seasons, Brady redshirted in 08, so he's actually only played 3 of the last 4 years.

John Randall 4 years, 10 months ago

"""Congratulations, Hawks, on winning another Big XII Championship!! Now, let's go win a couple of tournament championships!!"""

I agree that the bigger accomplishment would be 16-0, because any single-elimination tournament is subject to so many vagaries, and you need to be aware that a NC has to win three tourneys (pod, Regional, and FF).

I also remember '08, even when KU played their best games, there were at least three times that it wasn't our plays, but pure luck that brought the chance to win.

ROCK CHALK! GO 'HAWKS!

kennethst 4 years, 10 months ago

Jaybate-Hello!

I argued with Theutus last year about Collins.......but he seems to like Collins now.....so maybe all is well on that front.

Not a bad year for Kansas basketball, eh? I'm very happy for Sherron. He deserves it. Going to miss him that's for sure!

jaybate 4 years, 10 months ago

kennethst,

And hi to you, too. A great season, The Special Season, win lose or draw (oops, or OT and win!)

I know, Theutus is coming around. He has progressed to thinking Sherron is okay and the world is round. Actually, he's cool, when he isn't hyperventillating about me.

I just like to use his handle for yucks.

He's all Jayhawk!

And so are we. We just see Sherron for what he is. Great!

Rock chalk!

aplanojayhawk 4 years, 10 months ago

Sherron Collins is a stud. We'll be talking about him for a looong time.