Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Stay or leave? It’s business as usual for Mangino in wake of probe

KU coach Mark Mangino yells from the sideline against Southern Mississippi on Saturday, Sept. 26, 2009 in Memorial Stadium.

Mangino says KU remaining focused

KU football coach Mark Mangino said Tuesday that his team was fully focused on Saturday's game against Missouri, despite the allegations of misconduct swirling around his program.

Given the events of the past few days, the question posed to embattled Kansas University football coach Mark Mangino five minutes into his Tuesday meeting with the media seemed relevant enough.

Asked whether he wanted to remain at Kansas in the wake of an investigation into his treatment of players and the maelstrom that has since erupted because of it, the coach indicated that leaving the school would mean leaving behind a foundation he and his staff have spent the past eight years constructing.

“We have players that have made great investments into this program, we have assistant coaches and support staff people who have made this the single focus of their life for several years,” Mangino said. “And me personally, I’ve said this before, this is on record: I’ve put every waking moment of my life since I got hired here into this football program. To be quite honest with you, when I’m not at work, I’m still at work. This job, for me, has been something that I have put my heart and soul into.”

Is 6-6 enough?

KU coach Mark Mangino seemed confident Tuesday that a victory over Missouri in Saturday’s 2:30 p.m. Border War would be enough to propel Kansas to its third straight bowl appearance.

“Everything I’m hearing from my sources, which I think are pretty credible, (tells) me that 6-6, for us in the Big 12, would qualify for a bowl,” Mangino said.

Check out Dugan Arnett's full KU notebook here

Whether he’ll be able to keep doing so, however, has been the source of much speculation.

An internal probe launched by KU athletic director Lew Perkins last week into Mangino’s treatment of players — which, according to the coach’s contract, is the first step in a potential “termination for cause” of Mangino’s tenure in Lawrence — has raised serious questions as to whether the coach will be on the KU sideline next season.

Mangino’s current contract, set to pay him $2.3 million annually through 2012, would cost the university approximately $6.6 million if the coach is fired without cause.

On Tuesday, Mangino called his relationship with Perkins a “good working relationship,” though he insisted he could only speak for himself in that regard.

“That’s my perception of it,” he said, adding, “Perhaps you should pose that question to him. I think that would be fair.”

He also expressed comfort with his program and the manner in which it is run, before adding, “What I believe and what I think probably is not as important as what other people are believing or thinking that are involved in this situation.”

As he’s done on multiple occasions during the past week, meanwhile, Kansas senior receiver Kerry Meier defended Mangino and allegations that the coach goes overboard in his disciplining of players.

Meier said Tuesday that he met with Mangino one-on-one in the days following Perkins’ announcement of an investigation, in an attempt to show his support for the coach and “(make) sure he was doing all right.”

“He’s so comfortable and happy to be here,” said Meier, who spoke to KU assistant athletic director/risk management Lori Williams last week as part of her investigation. “He’s done so much for this program, and if they’re going to try to seek out a new coach better than coach Mangino, I tell them good luck.”

According to most players available Tuesday, things have been surprisingly normal around the football complex this week. No extra sentimentality or ‘Win one for the gipper’ speeches.

“I haven’t planned on coach not being here,” said junior defensive back Chris Harris. “So there hasn’t been any ‘Win one for the ‘ol coach.’”

Still, it’s hard to ignore the speculation that has surfaced in recent days.

Even during a week as anticipated as this one — in addition to taking on Missouri at Kansas City’s Arrowhead Stadium at 2:30 p.m. Saturday, the Jayhawks (5-6 overall, 1-6 Big 12) would likely secure a third-consecutive bowl berth with a win — Mangino and the ongoing university investigation have stolen the headlines.

“That’s the only thing that anybody wants to talk about,” said senior defensive back Justin Thornton. “My friends back home, family back home, it’s not ‘So, how are you guys looking to get past Missouri this weekend?’ It’s ‘What’s going on with your coach?’ It’s frustrating.”

Joked senior Darrell Stuckey: “I think the investigation is moving faster on the outside than it is on the inside.”

Mangino, for his part, is plowing forward. He insists the time he devotes to game preparations hasn’t wavered from weeks past and seems as devoted to winning this weekend’s game as he has each of the 11 games before it.

A victory Saturday would pull him within one win of tying A.R. Kennedy’s program record of 52, meanwhile, and at least one current player hopes he sticks around long enough to do it.

“What’s been built here thus far, it’s definitely a solid base and it’s definitely a foot in the right direction,” Meier said. “A few more years and a few more quality seasons will definitely get this program to where it needs to be.

“And hopefully coach Mangino is here to do that.”

Comments

KU_Alumn_2000 9 years, 8 months ago

I love how Coach weathers through adversity, which is something he instills in his players. Even though it appears as though nothing good could come out of this situation, (especially from a recruiting angle)...Coach is the type of guy that will turn this whole thing into a positive if given the time and chance.

Suggestion for our A.D: If your legacy is that important to you...you may want to consider swallowing some pride, facilitate some constructive communication with Coach, and redevelop your relationship with him. Set some guidelines that Coach must follow for rest of his tenure here. He's a smart guy capable of making tweaks and adjustments in how he interacts with others. Lets get through this mess with no terminations, and move on to great things with our football program and athletics as a whole.

minnhawk84 9 years, 8 months ago

And the media keeps beating the drum. Nothing new in this article -- just serves to keep the story (and HCMM) on the front burner. The Hawks are heading into the "BIG" game this weekend; how about focusing on that?

Aaron Carpenter 9 years, 8 months ago

Wait, isn't this the 3rd or 4th time they have run this article. Must be out of leads now if you are renaming stories. And also why do they go by mizzu, there is no z in missouri? Must be a genetic thing, innability to spell due to incestual relations. Rock Chalk

NH_JHawk 9 years, 8 months ago

“That’s the only thing that anybody wants to talk about,” said senior defensive back Justin Thornton. “.....It’s ‘What’s going on with your coach?’ It’s frustrating.”

And that pretty much says it all doesn't it? Regardless of which side you're on (and some of you are flat out being ridiculous) I think all of us can agree that no one wanted to see our beloved senior class go out like this. As many have pointed out already, there is nothing yet that implicates Mangino to the point of termination. That could certainly change, but none of us can claim otherwise until the report comes out. I understand that emotion has taken over for many posters on this blog, but please try to show some class and refrain from the negative and slanderous comments until you KNOW for a FACT!! Let's beat Fizzou and send our senior class out with some shread of respect and pride in what they've accomplished. Rock Chalk Jayhawk!

jcsmith 9 years, 8 months ago

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ...........................

9 years, 8 months ago

NH_JHawk ~

"Let's beat Fizzou and send our senior class out with some shread of respect and pride in what they've accomplished. Rock Chalk Jayhawk!"

I'll drink to that! :)

NH_JHawk 9 years, 8 months ago

minnhawk84 - of course the media will continue to beat the drum on this story. Each and every one of these articles generates 100+ comments and who knows how many more untold readers who wish not to comment. The media's job (like it or not) is to drive traffic to their stories, shows, articles, etc. like this one and they are doing a damn good job of it regardless of whether the info is new or not. I agree that this sucks and that we should get a few more stories about KU vs. Mizzou, but that ain't how its going down unfortunately.

NH_JHawk 9 years, 8 months ago

txrockchalk -

The tidal wave of negative press that's been rolling down Mt. Oread these past few months could certainly drive a man to drink (more). I just wish that people who profess that they are "classy" because they represent KU would actually show it. But alas, emotions flare up and people lose their ability to show any type of restraint of their darker side. FWIW...I think you and I might be political brethren.

escaped_labrat 9 years, 8 months ago

Solomon,

There was a time before Mangino that those 4 wins were not guaranteed against non-conf foes. Prior to Mangino, wins against Nebraska didn't happen. He has brought us to a winning record against Missouri and not all the non-con wins were against patsies (see South Florida, Houston) Are you expecting that we should all of the sudden just start scheduling Florida, Alabama, Ohio State etc for our non-con games? This isn't basketball and it takes and has taken a long time to build up respectability:

Read this and perhaps appreciate Coach Mangino a little more since you appear to have some major issues against him:

Steve Brown 9 years, 8 months ago

NHHawk: Regardless of which side you're on (and some of you are flat out being ridiculous) Guess I have 50% chance of being ridiculous depending upon which side I'm on.

Until General Collin Powell goes to the UN with Mangino weapons of mass destruction evidence, only then will I .... oops that's another story.

The more this unfolds with no new allegations, my position is becomming wait on the official report. It will confirm or deny if the smoke is just smoke or a fire under his anger outbursts. Whether it has been tough love leadership or uncontrollable explosions.

Does anyone know if the report will be made public under freedom of information act, or will it kept in house for just a few to see?

Steve Brown 9 years, 8 months ago

Nike provided MU new stealth uniforms for this week, can we get Addidas to get us the MU Playbook & line of scrimmage audible calls?

yates33333 9 years, 8 months ago

Hang in there Mangino. Most fans love you.

9 years, 8 months ago

NH_JHawk ~

“…could certainly drive a man to drink (more).”

You say that like it’s a bad thing! ;) Seriously, I know what you mean brother. Enjoy the game on Saturday. I will be there in full force, cheering our seniors and team on!

thut 9 years, 8 months ago

Lew if you fire coach your an idiot.

gojbirds 9 years, 8 months ago

Anyone who says Mangino hasn't done much for the program should look at the clip posted earlier in the week of the KU vs. Wyoming game in 2001 before Mangino arrived. It was pathetic. Perkins is charged with building a solid (read highly profitable) athletics program at KU. We all love the tradition of KU basketball, but football is the money-maker in collegiate sports. KU football has made great strides under both Mangino AND Perkins. Now the gridiron club isn't selling and Perkins wants to throw Mangino under the bus. That's Perkins' fault as he got ahead of himself. Let's face it KU just hasn't achieved powerhouse status in football. We are a mid-major.

NH_JHawk 9 years, 8 months ago

lighthawk -

I would be happy to clarify my point about people being ridiculous. Seems as though you have taken my comment out of the context in which I intended.

Regardless of what side people are on, there are some who have chosen to take personal shots at other posters simply due to a difference of opinion. Others have made outrageously slanderous comments (ie: Mangino's weight, racisim, etc.) I was simply saying that this type of stuff is ridiculous. I chalk it up to people letting their emotions get the best of them. I would also guess that people feel uninhibited to say these things based on the annonimity of the internet and the lack of any recourse.

Based on your comments above I think you and I see eye to eye on this. The best course of action is to wait until the report comes out with the facts. Only then can we base our final judgements on facts and not hearsay.

btw....lol re: the Colin Powell comments.....

Bill Kackley 9 years, 8 months ago

I am going to try to be positive in my remarks here.ESCAPED_LABRAT thanks for the link, have read it more than once but the current situation makes it stand out more. FIHSCH I so agree with you about Kerry Meier, I have been a Kansas Football fan since Charlie Hoag was running roughshod over opponents. I have found many players to admire but none anymore than the boy from Pittsburgh, who came to Lawrence, faced his disappointments, put his teams interests before his own and became a man. I have never purchased a "team" jersey before but I proudly wear the number 10 to all games. His defense of his coach is outstanding. I know a lot of people have said well why wouldn't current players speak up for the coach, if they want to play. Well there is no doubt Kerry would have played no matter what he said. He is a young man of character and loyalty, not a small part of which he acquired from his coach. Over the years we have had good coaches and bad coaches. There is a reason Mark Mangino is only 2 wins away from being the all time winningest coach at KU. We hire bad coaches and they are fired, we have occasionally hired some good coaches but KU has only been a stepping stone for them. We now have a good coach, who wants to be at KU, he hasn't had aspirations about using us as a stepping stone. He could have left us for a "better position" after the Orange Bowl win but he didn't. He was loyal to us and I think we need to be loyal to him. I hope Saturday afternoon we can have enough loyal fans start a chant of "Mangino" shortly before the end of our victory over MU

Kenny George 9 years, 8 months ago

The longer this investigation continues, the worse it looks for Lew. If their were something the Mangino did to deserve termination, it should have been done by now. The perception, and perceptions mean everything, is that this is a witch hunt. Lew may be painting himself into a corner!!!

shelleysue 9 years, 8 months ago

KUalum2000, kackley. Amen.

Solomon - Why do people keep saying Mangino hasn't done much while at KU? First off, KU is in the national news. (and not because of this whole Mangino fiasco). When is the last time KU FOOTBALL was in the national news on a regular basis?

It is not Mangino's fault that KU plays the south teams only twice in four years, once in four years at home. I truly believe we could have beaten Tech and Texas in 2007. And we got robbed of a Texas win in 2004. Totally robbed. Let's also remember that in 2007 we didn't just win 12 games. We KILLED our opponents. When Oklahoma and Texas are at their best, which is most of the time, there aren't many teams in the entire country that can beat them so don't get all worked up over the fact that those days are in the future for KU.

Here is a list of what has been accomplished under Mangino. I would also like to remind you that Mangino has been breathing life into a program that was six feet under when he arrived.

• Consecutive wins against KSU • Ended losing streak against Nebraska • Scored 76 against Nebraska • 12-1 season • Orange Bowl win (only two schools in history have won a BCS bowl and a national championship in the same year) • Increased the number of athletes graduating • Increased the team GPA • Bowl games in three of four years - all wins against good teams • Consecutive bowl wins
• Best border war game of all time (OK - this is just an opinion) • Takes players no one else wanted and turns them into star athletes • Players in the NFL and other pro leagues • Fills the stadium every weekend at premium ticket prices • New practice facility • New playing surface • State of the art football offices facility

Seriously - he hasn't done much while at KU?

And let's all be reasonable - please! As much as I would like it to be differently, we aren't going to be Oklahoma, Florida or Texas anytime soon. We just aren't - I don't care who is coaching. Kansas is not going to get the athletes that will make that possible. It's just a fact.

We're winning games, beating Nebraska and KSU. We're winning bowl games. Beating Missouri. Watching amazing KU athletes every Saturday and having a damn good time. This isn't enough for you??

Rock Chalk Jayhawk kill Mizzou!!

d_prowess 9 years, 8 months ago

For a moment, lets say the reports that a parent or someone brought to the attention of the Athletic Department were serious enough that it forced them to launch an investigation right away (from a liability point of view). Would you rather have had Perkins announce it when he did because he knew the media was going to break the story a day or two later, or would you have rather him let the media break it? I am strictly asking from a PR standpoint. Just if these were the two options, which is better for the program? I am not sure...

Joe Baker 9 years, 8 months ago

Jhaux (anonymous) says... KU_Alumn_2000 said it best.

This mess can still be salvaged.

It will be salvaged and Mangino will be HCMM when this crap is cleaned and cleared. I think this whole mess is a routine check that has forced Perkins to act on some ridiculous allegations. I don't think there will be firings. All ManG needs to do is evaluate his coaches and their performance this past year for the team.

When you have HC Stoops, Leach and Snyder all endorsing you that's pretty big endorsements. They are putting their reps on the line for a coach that has some nasty allegations lodged against him. Think about that if you're anti-Mangino. His supporters are coming out of the woodwork and you'd be stupid to challenge such a great cloud of witnesses!!! Perkins is no dummy and he'll take those endorsements in high regard before making any irrational decisions.

Beat mizzou!

Philip Bowman 9 years, 8 months ago

For you folks who are waiting to see what the report says, consider where it will come from. Not from an independent investigator. No, it will come from someone who works for the university. The chancellor, head of the university, has already announced her support for Perkins so what do you think the investigation will report? Mangino isn't very pretty but if we can keep him on the job we'll eventually have a football program most of us will be proud of. Tell Perkins to go away. We don't need his luxury boxes and his fat cats.

hawkward1 9 years, 8 months ago

Lew, if someone said to you "RETIRE" - that doesn't mean "re-tread."

nobody1793 9 years, 8 months ago

"As much as I would like it to be differently, we aren't going to be Oklahoma, Florida or Texas anytime soon. We just aren't - I don't care who is coaching." -- Exactly. South Carolina hasn't exactly become a powerhouse despite "household name" coaches like Lou Holtz and Steve Spurrier.

Philip Bowman 9 years, 8 months ago

In 2005, KU had 9 football players on the Big 12 Academic team. This year it has 15. Do you think Perkins had anything to do with this? I don't. Getting young men to pay attention to academics while trying to prepare for football games must be quite a task. It takes discipline. That's what Coach instills with tough love. Now that they've seen the hatchett job Perkins is attempting, the guys MM trained are rallying to him. Compare them to the whiners and ask yourself who you'd rather have your team.

Tony Bandle 9 years, 8 months ago

There seems to be a pattern among Division One sport powers whereby, with a few exceptions, there is great difficulty in maintaining parallel elite programs.

Kansas, Kentucky, North Carolina, Indiana and Duke certainly qualify as having elite basketball programs but not elite football programs.

Penn State, Alabama, Oklahoma, Nebraska, Miami and SoCAl historically have excelled at football but fallen short at basketball. Where are Boise St or TCU ranked in basketball?

Exceptions would include schools of either immense size [Michigan, Ohio State,] or incredible recruiting grounds [ Florida, Texas ]. But even in this category there are schools who fall short in one or the other. {UCLA, Notre Dame, ]

What I am trying to say is that Kansas will never be an elite football program but that should not stop us from trying to be as good as we can be each year.

This mess has to be eliminated for the good of the future program and, unfair or not, with all that's happened this year, Kansas needs a fresh start with a new coaching regime and approach.

My two cents worth...it sucks but I see no other way we truly get out of this quagmire.

wolfy 9 years, 8 months ago

The Retention Agreement contains a provision for liquidated damages in the event of termination "without cause," but that provision appears to apply only to liability under the Retention Agreement. I hope there is some sort of liquidated damages, or buyout, provision in the principal employment contract. Please, LJW, consult with a lawyer and report on his/her legal opinion concerning the university's potential exposure. Over the past week you've given conflicting reports. We need better analysis.

Marcia Parsons 9 years, 8 months ago

At this point I think the question is whether so much damage has already been done by innuendo and speculation that Mangino would have trouble coaching and recruiting. The results of the investigation may have very little importance. Pretty sad if he is cleared but his career has already been destroyed.

Steve Brown 9 years, 8 months ago

shelly well written, thank you. Your points are valid and import. Thank you for supporting your side with facts and logic. I like that. I apologize for saying you were on crack the other day. I was out of line.

Since you asked, no it isn't good enough. This year with our talent (albiet I didn't know extent of injuries) and with State, Neb. OU down below average we should be contending for the north title not the cellar. Just my 21 cents. Plus I don't have vision to know what's behind door # 3 yet. to be revealed.

One hypothetical outcome for you: After complete review we find no single action by coach worthy of his termination. Coach has agreed to continue coaching Kansas with full support of the AD. Note without a contract extension. While no incidents rise to the nature of termination we did find repeated occurances, especially off the field, that justify probation. MM has agreed to enroll in B. Knight school of 'emotional control' and agreed to a no further uncontrollable outburst cluase added to the current contract.

A new "coach park here" sign was seen installed at a AFH loading zone. All recruits have re/committed to Kansas. MM seen reading Napolean's return from Elba.

Coach reports he just likes New England and denies he's going to "It's a Good Thing" Martha nice men cooking class over summer break.

when the report is published we can put this to rest, one way or the other, just as we all now know Oswald acted alone, as the Warren report confirms.

Dr. Jekyll, now I'm on crack. (delusional)

Prophet 9 years, 8 months ago

My observations is that this is will get done next week. If KU keeps MM furture recruiting may surely be damaged during his stay here. The immediate liability is some of his current players may leave, as this would be their opportunity to do so without any scrutiny on them and more on the coach. More importantly, in this weak economy, what will be the donor impact for seats and suites, when the decision being made could impact the quality of players/play at KU. Who will pay to see a team that will be challenged to beat Div II schools and dwell at the bottom of the North Division and no bowl games to go.

jhokfan 9 years, 8 months ago

nobody:

But to more important matters, kick mizwho's a$$.

jahawkdave 9 years, 8 months ago

It would be nice to read some staries about the actual game, instead of this constant nonsense.

Speaking of nonsense the following is just that.

WTF? when you type Mark Mangino into google the searches it suggests for you are not what I expected.

I'm not talking about the search results, I'm talking about the suggestions it gives you before you search. I didn't see: football, kansas, coach anything you would expect him to be associated with other than show and salary.

Really doesn't have to do with anything, just thought it seemed kind of ridiculous. I did it for other coaches and the suggestions were more appropriate. However, Bill Self's first suggested search is: Bill Self Toupee

shelleysue 9 years, 8 months ago

I know we have a lot of talent this year, and believe me, I even had very high hopes that we would beat Oklahoma, given their state when we played them. Definitely expected to beat Colorado and KSU. I knew all along that Nebraska would be very tough and that it was a toss up.I expected a lot more out of this season.

However - it's not Mangino's fault that Reesing was injured. That injury not only had him struggling physically but obviously mentally as well and that combination proved devastating. We thought we were loaded on offense but the commander of that offense just wasn't able to get it done - unfortunately. It's an unfortunate situation - period. Mangino tried to go to Pick but that didn't work perfectly so fans threw a major fit about it. So what is he supposed to do? Play Reesing injured even though he can't get it done, or play a healthy Pick who can't get it done? None of the fans wanted him to move Meier to QB, either so what now? Lose, lose, lose no matter what he did. Not to mention Sharp spending a good deal of the season injured. Other injuries plagued us also.

In hind sight I think we were all overly optimistic. We looked at the fact that we had Meier, Wilson, Reesing, Sharp and Briscoe and forgot about the fact that we had to reload both lines and the majority of the defense. This team was not equivalent to 2007 as many feel it was.

I would love nothing more than to see KU football be a major power - that would be amazing. But I'm going to be realistic in my expectations - It's not that I'm ridiculously willing to settle for mediocrity. I like to look at the glass as half full, that's all. I try to appreciate everything that KU football is and not make myself miserable by focusing on what it isn't. Honestly I think KU football is pretty damn fun.

Lance Hobson 9 years, 8 months ago

Anybody who thinks we could do better without Mangino is sadly mistaken and doesn't know our history. We haven't had a few bad coaches, we've had a century of them. OU and KState have fallen without him, and we have risen.

People look at his weight and what he's done and just assume a young, fit coach could do the same. I beg to differ. I hope the woman conducting this investigation, who knows the square root of jack about football, doesn't blow this for us.

nobody1793 9 years, 8 months ago

"Did I miss a chapter in the history of college football. I don't remember South Carolina ever having a good program yet they managed to lure both Holtz and Spurrier."

Right. And they still suck. I was just agreeing with what's-his-face that you can't just go out and get a new coach and suddenly be the next Texas.

jahawkdave 9 years, 8 months ago

This is a couple days old not sure if its already been posted.

Joe Schad's Tweet Nov. 23rd

schadjoe: Kansas has already had exploratory conversations with at least two potential candidates to replace Mangino

Tony Bandle 9 years, 8 months ago

Let's give thanks:

1] That we are Jayhawks and not misery Tigers. 2] For a basketball program that never fails to excite us. 3] Good football will return to Kansas. 4] For the girls - Johnny Depp - for the boys - Megan Fox 5] Christmas is only a month away 6] The economy continues to wake from it's slumber 7] Jaybate, soobawls and all you posters who make this site one of the most interesting on the net. 8] For Sandra Bullock and Angelina Jolie [just a personal note, sorry] 9] For our country that, despite all our faults and failings, there is no other place on earth I'd rather live. 10] and for all of us, each morning we wake up and each night we go to bed healthy, loved and filled with hope.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Joe Baker 9 years, 8 months ago

Yep Oakville...

KU will survive MM will remain HC KU is exciting America is still the greatest in the world

Happy Thanksgiving

Beat mizzou

shelleysue 9 years, 8 months ago

Oakville: Agreed. (You did really good on #4 - way to go!)

Have a happy Thanksgiving everyone and let's get one more regular season win on Saturday. We could really use that about now! Wear blue, cheer LOUD!

Rock Chalk!

actorman 9 years, 8 months ago

Megan Fox, Sandra Bullock and Angelina Jolie are all great, but when I give thanks to the almighty Jayhawk it's for Rachel McAdams. Halle-frickin'-luja!!!

jhokfan 9 years, 8 months ago

Good point nobody. South Carolina is a pretty compelling argument for those who think all we need to do is hire a great coach. But I digress.

Come on Jayhawks! I know you have a win left in you. Let’s see all your hard work and dedication come to fruition on Saturday. Your fans still believe in you.

Steve Brown 9 years, 8 months ago

I'm thankful

we never hired Quinn Synder. we care enough about Kansas Football to argue about it. my great great grandfather didn't stop his wagon to homestead somewhere in Mo. our many freedoms protected by the rule of law and defended by men and women across the world. Thanks troops.

RCJHKU Beat MU

Joseph Kuebel 9 years, 8 months ago

I'm thankful...our players won't all transfer and we won't lose all of our recruits because(and no ShelleySue it is not because its not Mangino's fault Reesing was hurt this year)...

It is because...

"Kansas has already had exploratory conversations with at least two potential candidates to replace Mangino " - Joe Shaad 12:49 PM Nov 23rd

Blake Post 9 years, 8 months ago

good shelleysue. solomon and some keep making allegations and false statements. Several on here recognize... which leads me to the conclusion, as always, that he and others are tigers or wildcats, who would love to get rid of our coach. If they call our players in the early a.m. hours before a game, they certainly will post here.

And kackley, good to see you on here, not that I know you, but I know Charlie Hoag, Frank Sabatini, and I knew the double threat from Sublette. My dad saw them play and Gil Reich and others. How great is that? At least I have seen Gale Sayers, John Hadl, Wilt Chamberlain, JoJo White on tv playing in the pros when I was young, not to mention Jim Ryun and those who came after. I have to go no further than the Orange Bowl to support this coach. I didn't think I'd ever get one, and wonder if I will again. But this program filled our team with skill and strength. We had some glitches this year, but that does not make me jump ship at all. I completely agree with you about Kerry Meier, and I get all of the Jayhawks past are with him too. His voice carries a lot of weight, I would think. And I think that would affect all who came before. Here is a fact. We have placed several underclassmen in the NFL. KU did not do that before MM as far as I know, or if so, rarely. Maybe that is why we didn't win as much this year? Great players went early? Whatever, the media seem to think MM is gone already. They do rush to judgment... or to report something. I hope they are wrong.

Now kill that stinking, slobbering, skulking, skunky, slathering misery.
After all, they are just the tiger lily hillbillies. Somebody give Fam a dart gun to shoot. put those stripers to sleep They thre ice and junk at the band you know. The boo the band. Who boos the band? Kind of like shooting the red cross, don't you think?

Yours in the blue.

jahawkdave 9 years, 8 months ago

Shellysue, no its not MM's fault Reesing was hurt. But why don't we have a 2nd string QB in the program that can perform better than an injured, turnover prone Reesing. Who's fault is it that we don't? If Pick is better than an injured, turnover prone Reesing, then who's fault is it for not putting him on the field (only because Reesing was injured)to give KU the best chance to win.

And it's not MM's fault Sharp is injured, and we apparently had a great alternative in Toben to replace him. Who's fault is it that Toben's carries abrubtly stopped and Sharp was continually given carries when he is obviously injured?

If MM was being loyal to these seniors and letting them go out as starters regardless if they can preform at 100% then I can respect that, but we'll never know why MM has done things the way he has this year.

We have had rotten luck this year: injuries, poor calls, poor discipline, poor coaching and decisions. I still think KUFB is pretty damn fun too, and I want it to be funner.

I agree we were overly optomistic this year, and I think people are overly optomistic that Mangino is best KUFB is ever going to do.

I appreciate what Reesing Meier Sharp Stuckey and all the Seniors have done to build up this program, their time here has been awesome to watch. I would love to see them go out with 2 wins, mu and a bowl. I feel it in my heart they will. RCJH

rastameta 9 years, 8 months ago

I am so sick of the fans that underestimate the ability of KU to have a very good football program based on our previous history. I can tell you for a fact that we were bad in the past because of athletic directors who did not want to spend money on football, period. They simply did not support football and thus they would hire coaches at a discount, see Terry Allen.

If K-State, who has the most losses in D-I history, can build a consistent winner (like they did during the first Synder era) then there is no reason why KU cannot do it.

Lew Perkins is the first AD that takes KU football seriously and strives to make it the best it can be and for that I am thankful. Lew is much more important to KU football then Mangino and this is coming from someone who knows. It starts with the AD and then the coach and not the other way around.

actorman 9 years, 8 months ago

"People look at his weight and what he's done and just assume a young, fit coach could do the same."

I don't look at his weight but I do look at what he's done. I think that virtually ANY coach (whether young and fit or not) would not go for two with a 30-5 lead and end up losing the game 31-30. I think virtually ANY coach would not blast the ball out of the end zone from the other team's 40-yard-line with a seven-point lead in the fourth quarter. I think virtually ANY coach would not run an injured player into the line over and over when another player had already shown what he could do. And I could go on and on and on but then there wouldn't be space for anyone else to write. Keep in mind that all of this is completely aside from his abusiveness -- and oh by the way, I continue to wait (and wait and wait and ...) for ONE other person to mention the fact that his abusiveness is not merely limited to players or even people connected to the football program ...

escaped_labrat 9 years, 8 months ago

Please let me wake up from this nightmare! Why am I reading on some sites that Turner Gill and/or Randy Edsall are being considered?! OMG, here come the good ole Terry Allen years again! If Perkins is stupid enough to go down that road, then KU Football will not survive and the fans will be gone. Please, if anyone reads this and knows Lou Perkins personally, beg him not to make a horrible error in judgement.

escaped_labrat 9 years, 8 months ago

I'm not counting Coach Mangino out and I hope he is still our coach next year for the sake of my beloved Jayhawks. I think that rumors of anyone abandoning ship are greatly exaggerated and am looking forward to KU beating MU and then winning a bowl game to top it off

troutsee 9 years, 8 months ago

Agree with rasta and actorman. For our sake, I hope that MM is not the victim here. I have a feeling he isn't. Believe me, we can get a coach just as talented. We are finally emphasizing FB from the top down. We'll be fine. I am not a doom and gloomer. I think we can beat MU but then I thought we were going to win all the games up to this point except for TU and I had my doubts about OU. I continue to feel that our inability to play tough and finish games is a reflection of the coaching. When I think how awful the Husker defense was just two years ago and realize how far they have come with recruiting classes judged to be equal to ours, I can't help but surmize that that is a reflection of coaching.

Lynn Stuart 9 years, 8 months ago

Thi is insane whats going on, I can tell you I grew up watching KU football from 1971 and lived through the heart achs, MM has done a great job and this is what a few kids that are used to getting thier way can damage a very good program, these kids need to grow up and accept they are getting a free education and playing on a very good up and comming program with a very good coach, and just play football like they agreed to do instead of causing all the seperation they have, go hawks beat mizou !!!!!!!!

meatsauce 9 years, 8 months ago

Pick up a rock. Throw it in ANY direction, you'll hit Mangino.

Steve Brown 9 years, 8 months ago

Eurojay: "these kids need to grow up and accept they are getting a free education and playing on a very good up and comming program with a very good coach, and just play football like they agreed to do instead of causing all the separation they have."

Yeah you tell 'em Eurohawk, and since we are in the north cellar now then next year if we capture 2 wins and secure north division's 5th place we would be comingup. What an upchuck: hooray!

hope you are in Barcelona, better yet Lake Geneva.

KURocksChalk 9 years, 8 months ago

Personally, I don't think MM is going anywhere. Why would he? Who's Afraid of the Big, Bad, Wolf? Not him.

I say, more hard-working farm kids like the days of old. If we would recruit more Midwestern kids from small schools who are on no one's radar, but they have character (like Meier) we will do well. Hard workers, smart, and good values will give us players who can stand the rigors that are going to be necessary to be a big-time program.

I really wonder about the comment on the Gridiron Club. Does anyone else think that maybe we need more seats first?

jhokfan 9 years, 8 months ago

Pick up a rock, throw it in ANY direction. Chances are it’s one of Ozburns recruits attempting to break into something again.

Lynn Stuart 9 years, 8 months ago

well i'm in niehter place but with missing the 12 north title 2yrs excluding this one how can anyone say anything bad, Kstate did the same thing by playing nobody teams to raise up and be conational champions,and if everyone try's to forget (all) the sports networks said the same thing about state some fans can be so fickled and jump on the band wagon,just for the drama please let this man do what he knows how to do and if these kids want to cry to mommy cause the big bad man spoke mean to me, please leave and allow those kids that want to play and win a title play, some of the best players have heart not names!!!!!!!!

GoBigRed1 9 years, 8 months ago

shellysue:

I think you need to look at this year's results. The squaks lost to my beloved Men of Corn and tonight's debacle against Mizzou speaks for itself. KU is going back to its glory days of celler dwelling where it belongs.

GO BIG RED