Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Dugan Arnett’s KU football notebook

Regents vice chair supports investigation

Kansas Board of Regents vice chair Gary Sherrer said Tuesday that — as long as it’s carried out in a fair and thorough manner — he supports Kansas University’s ongoing investigation into the actions of football coach Mark Mangino.

“Honestly, as long as it’s very public that a formal process is taking place, then — and I’m speaking for myself, I can’t speak for the other regents — I think that’s fine; that’s the way it ought to be,” said Sherrer, contacted Tuesday by the Journal-World.

“I believe it would be a terrific mistake if the Board of Regents made some kind of rush to judgement based only on preliminary information,” he added. “And I just have confidence in the Chancellor and I have confidence that the university has a process in place that will be fair and timely, and we’ll judge that when it’s completed.”

Will six wins be enough?

Mangino seemed confident Tuesday that a victory over Missouri in Saturday’s 2:30 p.m. Border War matchup would be enough to propel Kansas (5-6, 1-6 in the Big 12) to its third straight bowl appearance.

“Everything I’m hearing from my sources, which I think are pretty credible, (tells) me that 6-6, for us in the Big 12, would qualify for a bowl,” Mangino said.

Mangino’s opinion of Arrowhead deal depends when you ask

Asked Tuesday whether he supported the athletic department’s recent trend of playing the annual Border War game at Kansas City’s Arrowhead Stadium, Mangino answered candidly.

“Here’s how it works,” he said. “When you win the game, you think it’s a good idea to play it at Arrowhead. And when you lose, you think it’s a bad idea. That’s the coach in all of us.”

Based on that logic, Mangino’s been equal parts pleased and frustrated since the neutral-site series began two seasons ago.

In 2007, the first year of the Arrowhead arrangement, the previously unbeaten Jayhawks lost to Missouri — a game that cost them a shot at a Big 12 title — but rebounded to win last year’s game, 40-37, on a last-second touchdown pass from quarterback Todd Reesing to receiver Kerry Meier.

Comments

Eurekahwk 10 years, 6 months ago

Mizzou in Lawrence used to be an AWESOME time. We not only filled the stadium to capacity, but we made that thing hum. It was loud, intimidating. We don't let Mizzou come into our house and so much as move the ball across midfield. But now, Arrowhead is anyone's bet. We were number two in the country on the verge of the Big XII championship in what was supposed to be our home game. We would NOT have lost if the game was where it was supposed to be. Now we need the win just to break even on the season. It is supposed to be our home game, but I bet there will be more Mizzou people there.

Moving this game away from Lawrence was a HORRIBLE idea.

Larry Smith 10 years, 6 months ago

Eureka,

Dyrk Dugan 10 years, 6 months ago

"You may want to check that. If I remember correctly, we had not sold out the misery game for several years at home."

i don't know if it they were sold out, but in 2003 and 2005, the last two years this game was played at Memorial Stadium, it was big time loud, there were only slivers of Moo fans...and we kicked their tail both games.

the hype was on two years ago, when both of these teams were top 5 in the BCS....i mean, the powers that be couldn't have hit it much better. that's what caused the renewing 4 years. "Dollar signs" rule. i would hope KU would come to their senses in 2012 and end this thing once and for all.

Do you know, that KU has not hosted the Tiggers at the traditional end of the year game in 16 years? what our administrators have done to this game....is an absolute abomination.

TenaciousD 10 years, 6 months ago

Stay with the Blame Lew theme everyone. Don't forget that it's Lew's fault when we lose at Arrowhead and we regret playing the game there.

jhawkjunkie 10 years, 6 months ago

I was at the 2003 game against Brad Smith and Missouri and at the time I think it set a Memorial Stadium record for the largest crown in KU history.

Jim Pendleton 10 years, 6 months ago

Eureka (and all other complainers), still can't believe you are complaining about the game being moved two years ago. Some media people say this also, and they are not correct in their reporting either.

First, the fact that it was our home game that got moved two years ago when we were 11-0 at the time is pure coincidence. Anyone before that season who thought we were going to be 11-0 going into that game is crazy.

Second, and perhaps more important to note in this issue, is that both schools had to agree to an initial two year deal with each school moving a home game to make it happen. There would never be a game at Arrowhead between these two otherwise. So for people to keep saying that we moved that game like we were the only player in the issue that year is just flat wrong.

Finally, I love going to games in Lawrence, but let's get real here. For many years, a lot of people didn't care a lot about this game, regardless of where it was. They even tried moving it around on the schedule. I do believe this game should be the last on the schedule, where it was for years. Like it or not, this game will be at Arrowhead for the next four years. This is supposed to be our big rival. All of Jayhawk Nation needs to be there regardless of record to be heard.

This is another part of my comments this year that talks about us wanting to be like the big boys. You support your team wherever they are playing, especially against your biggest rivals. You want to be one of the big boys, you have to act like it, and not complain because a game is 40 miles away from home. Rock Chalk!

bennettcl 10 years, 6 months ago

Arrowhead is actually closer to my home than Memorial, so I'm perfectly okay with the game being at Arrowhead. Plus it's been there two years now so quit whining about the damn game being in Arrowhead. It may be there for the next 30 years who knows. So prepare to get used to it. Besides were 1-1 now in Arrowhead with both teams losing what would have been their home game. I much much prefer the game being in Arrowhead because I have now been able to go to the KU/MU game 3 years in a row. I doubt I would have been able to make the game last year if it would have been in Columbia. Ticket prices sure would have cost more if the game was in Columbia. Heck they would have cost more if the game was in Lawrence. So I'll take my $35 ticket and the ability to attend the KU/MU game the next 3 years at Arrowhead. Go KU!

justanotherfan 10 years, 6 months ago

The game being at Arrowhead gives it a chance to be another one of the major rivalry games that registers on the national radar, like Florida-Georgia and Oklahoma-Texas. Further, the money generated from moving the game to Arrowhead will help us compete with Oklahoma, Texas and others. That is the bottom line.

After two years of this debate, I would hope a fanbase as educated as ours would finally understand that playing the Border War in the Border City is the best idea for us to generate revenue and gives us a chance to have a national audience, which helps recruiting. Quit whining.

KGphoto 10 years, 6 months ago

How about those Raiders uniforms Mizzy is wearing on Saturday? Ridiculous.

Thank god we weren't selected by Nike.

STLJHawk86 10 years, 6 months ago

KG, Nike typically does pretty cool uni designs - most of Oregon's stuff over the past few years has been really slick -- and green and yellow are hard colors to work with. They did a nice job with the Mizzery uni. As an educated fan I am capable of admiring the uni and still despising the team it represents and the players who wear it.

jhokfan 10 years, 6 months ago

Not that I care, but why have they abandoned their team colors?

Just beat mizwho and we can worry about the bowl implications later.

number1jayhawker 10 years, 6 months ago

KGphoto, we can't "be selected" by Nike, since we are an Adidas sponsered school.

Hey if people want to share their dislike of the the game being played at Camarohead, then they have the right to do so. It's called the 1st Amendment!

My personal wish would be to play the Iowa Hawkeyes or Wisconsin Badgers at Camarohead each year to generate the extra revenue. Kind of like what mizzou has done with Illinois.

jdavidholt 10 years, 6 months ago

Actually, our experience at Arrowhead prepared us to win in the Orange Bowl game. No jitters on the "big stage." The Jayhawks came experienced in that type of venue and prepared to play from the opening kick-off. I saw it. I was there.

Also, please ask yourself this question: "Would the national media be nearly as interested in this game if it was played on campus?" The answer, of course, is "no." Arrowhead is perceived as a "big-time" venue. The media loves it . . . and so do recruits!

OCJHAWK 10 years, 6 months ago

Maxhawk - which 4 recruits decomitted? Rivals still has the 14 who have been verballed for a good amount of time plus the new reciever from NJ. I suppose most would say they will wait to see what comes out of the final decision before signing, but who has truly stated they won't sign?

Joseph Kuebel 10 years, 6 months ago

KGphoto (anonymous) says...

How about those Raiders uniforms Mizzy is wearing on Saturday? Ridiculous.

I hate Mizzou, but those uni's are tremendous.

I hate to say it...but we're gonna get our $H!+ pushed in.

KU has no motivation to win this game...and don't tell me they'll be trying so hard to get to that useless bowl game...this is the first time watching game where I've honestly expected KU not to try or to really not give full on effort (due to the imminent changes that will occur at KU next year).....and this is versus MIZZOU of all schools! It really is a sad situation.

Christopher Hauser 10 years, 6 months ago

KGphoto- I think the unis are pretty cool except for the M being blacked out on the helmet.

TrueBlue92 10 years, 6 months ago

I think it is Nike's goal to dress all sports teams in black. Nike is all about another jersey to sell.

BEAT THE TAR OUT OF MISERY!!! (works well with the new hype-iforms)

actorman 10 years, 6 months ago

Maxhawk, I suppose you would prefer to have Lew wait longer, let the thing fester and recruits get bad-mouthed to by other teams about all the abuse they would suffer if they played for Mangino, leave the situation in limbo for weeks or months and have it become much bigger than it is? You're right, it would have been much better for that to happen than to deal with this as quickly as possible under extremely difficult circumstances.

I'm not a huge fan of Lew's style and I can understand some of the criticism of him. But I'm getting almost as tired of the Lew-bashing as I am of the LJW-bashing. Give it a rest, guys! I'd love to see what any of you would do if you were put in the same position he was, where he had multiple parents and former players coplaining about Mangino. If he hadn't done anything, he would have exposed KU to tremendous liability. He had very little choice in the matter.

KU is in infinitely better shape than we were before Lew showed up, and I'm confident that he will continue to move us in the right direction towards the time when we can consistently be competitive in most if not all sports. Instead of constantly whining about him, why don't you actually look at all that he's accomplished to help us compete with the teams that have far bigger budgets than we do. I also challenge the multitude of Lew-bashers to come back on and admit you were wrong when he hires an outstanding coach to replace Mangino. I can't wait to hear at that time from all the people who have been bitching and moaning about how no other coach would dream of taking the millions of dollars and prestige of a Big XII school to come here.

rastameta 10 years, 6 months ago

actorman, well said. Well said, indeed.

BTW, Maxhawk has no basis for saying 4 players have de-committed. I have checked all the recruiting sites and all of them still have 15 commitments for KU and not one story about people de-committing. Some players have said they are listening to other schools again and they have said they are taking a "wait and see" approach, but that is it for now.

grandpa 10 years, 6 months ago

actorman- I completely agree with your above sensible post.!!

troutsee 10 years, 6 months ago

Agree with rasta and actorman. Lew has been a heck of an advocate for KU sports in general, and this administration has been the first one in the history of KU to really commit to FB. Let's see how all this plays out but I would not be broken hearted to see MM go. The 6M might get in the way and everything might get sugar coated and on we go with MM. I think that would be a mistake.

Grand Pa, it's good to see you back on line. Glad you weren't intimidated by negative remarks. Some posters can get a little nasty.

Eurekahwk 10 years, 6 months ago

This game is a complete tossup because it is being played in Arrowhead when it should be in LAWRENCE. The last two times the game was played at home, the crowd was most certainly capacity. And it was loud. I'd feel great about us beating Mizzou in LAWRENCE. Forfeiting homefield advantage for the sake of selling out is just sad.

Jim Pendleton 10 years, 6 months ago

Eureka, you obviously paid no attention to my comments to your earlier post. Again, KU did not forfeit anything or sell out the past two years. This was a mutual decision by BOTH schools to move games (plural) to Arrowhead. Cannot have one year with out the other, wouldn't have happened.

If we are forfeiting any advantage, it is due to KU fans not stepping up to the plate and buying their tickets for this game. Why should it matter if you attend or not over 40 miles? Once again people, if you want to be like the big boys, then act like them.

Oh and one more thing, this year's game is not a sellout. Frankly the biggest mistake we have made in this year's game is we didn't include it in our season ticket package since it is our home game. I would think we would take every opportunity to get KU blue in the seats. Compared to the OU-Tex & Fla-Ga neutral site games, we are closer to the site of our game, which should make it a no brainer for attending. Great weather predicted for Saturday, not too late to be there. Rock Chalk!

brownhawk 10 years, 6 months ago

I think the new mizzou uniforms are pretty sleek, except for the black 'M' on the helmets. I'm surprised there's absolutely no yellow on that uniform. Still despite all that, I think we have a good chance of winning at arrowhead and I know I will be there to watch. I have confidence that our boys want it bad enough after losing 6 in a row and they know what is at stake. Not winning is only going to give Lew more fuel for the fire he's burning under Mangino's behind. Let's go represent for the crimson and blue and show those inbred tigers what we're all about! Rock Chalk!

actorman 10 years, 6 months ago

Careful, jayhawkjim, you're brandishing dangerous logic (to quote a classic Shoe comic strip from a while back). Don't you know by now that people like Eureka never let facts get in the way of a good bitch session.

Thanks for the kind words grandpa, rastameta and troutsee. I'm always encouraged to see that there are at least some people who get what's really going on.

Dyrk Dugan 10 years, 6 months ago

this game should be played on campus period. this media hype for the game because it's in Arrowhead, is nonsense. the game two years ago would have been on ABC if the game was in Lawrence.

You Arrowheaders remember that KU was ranked two and Moo was three right? the game could have been in Salina KS, and ABC would have had it on. Last year, the game was on Fox Sports, at 11:30. Hardly national media. so that argument doesn't wash.

again, it was fun for two years, and both teams were pretty hot. Maybe MU will kick our tail for the next four years, and KU will say Uncle. that might wake some people up.

1. 16 years since we played MU on Mt. Oread as the final game of the year. it's despicable.

Dirk Medema 10 years, 6 months ago

Eureka - "We were number two in the country on the verge of the Big XII championship"

Actually, we were a long ways away from a Big 12 championship. We were close to an outright Big 12 N championship instead of sharing it with the tiggers, but we would have needed to beat OU for the conference championship.

I'm with Actorman, et al, not to mention the players. Hmmm, it seems that bloggers forget that the players want to play at Arrowhead, and that it is a recruiting tool to be able to tell recruits that they wil have the chance to play on an NFL feild at least once each year.

It is great to have the bigger stage. While we do lose HFA one year, MU loses it the next, so it all balances out. Amazing how that works.

Dirk Medema 10 years, 6 months ago

Dugan - Technically, KU beat mizzoo last year on a last second blocked FG.

"Reesing to Meier - Touchdown" was a last minute play.

"Reesing to Meier - Touchdown" has such a nice ring to it.

Jim Pendleton 10 years, 6 months ago

mvjayhawk - the game two years ago was on ABC, 7pm, National TV.

The time slot that everyone doesn't always get is the 2:30pm ABC games. Almost always regional game, with two or three others around the country. The FSN and Versus games while on cable, are national games because they obviously have no other alternate channels. The 7pm ABC game is not always national either. Only have to go back to last week for verification of that.