Friday, May 8, 2009

Owens, Self golf in Scotland

Former Kansas University basketball coach Ted Owens, who turns 80 on July 16, early Thursday morning returned to the United States after one of the most memorable vacations of his lifetime.

“It was a dream come true,” Owens said of a nine-day golf excursion to Scotland with KU’s current coach, Bill Self, and 10 or so KU graduates including Kent McCarthy, who organized the trip.

Owens — he compiled a 348-182 record as KU’s coach from 1965 to ’83 — roomed with Self for one-third of the trip in Scotland, the birthplace of golf.

“It just reinforced what I already knew, what a terrific guy he is,” Owens said. “Flying back, we watched the DVD of the (2008) San Antonio Final Four. We watched the Memphis and North Carolina games. They were as exciting today as they were then.”

Watching KU game film, of course, wasn’t the highlight of the trip for Owens and the others.

It was golf.

“St. Andrews, Carnoustie, Muirfield, Kingsbarnes on the sea,” Owens gushed of courses the group played. “Gullen ... with winds 40 to 50 mph, it blew the ball off the tees. It was beautiful in the morning. By the end of the round there were high winds, it was pouring. You’d play through the elements, which we were happy to do.

“Over there you walk with caddies. There are no carts. It was challenging. I loved every minute of it.”

Owens was thrilled at the big news involving KU basketball days prior to the trip — KU’s landing C.J. and Xavier Henry, the sons of former KU player Carl Henry, who played for Owens in 1982-83, his last year as Jayhawk coach.

“Barbara (mom of the Henry brothers) played at the same time for the women’s team. I watched the boys grow up (after Ted returned to his native Oklahoma where he currently resides in Tulsa),” Owens said.

“I am thrilled they are coming to KU. C.J. is quite an athlete himself and a savvy basketball player,” he said of the 6-foot-3 guard who red-shirted at Memphis last year. “Xavier (6-6 Putnam City High guard/forward) is such a great athlete. He’ll grow and grow playing for Bill and his staff.”

Owens remembers the talent of Carl Henry, a 6-6 forward out of Oklahoma City who averaged 16.8 ppg as a junior and 17.4 his senior year.

“Carl was a terrific player,” Owens said. “He’s worked with C.J. and Xavier on their shooting since they were young kids.”

l Banquet: Self, who was back in Lawrence at 1 a.m. Thursday, headed to Tulsa on Thursday night for the inaugural “Keep the Plate” appreciation dinner at the Greenwood Cultural Center. Former Tulsa coaches Self, Tubby Smith and Nolan Richardson were guests of honor at the fundraiser for Basket of Dreams Inc., a nonprofit community organization headed by former TU player Herb Suggs.

Comments

KEITHMILES05 11 years, 4 months ago

Every time Owens is interviewed his love for KU is astounding. Kudos to him for his love.

Tony Bandle 11 years, 4 months ago

Ted Owens was the coach at KU during my undergraduate years and he really gave us many great moments and has carried his love for KU on his sleeve proudly. Ted could recruit like a wild man, but Sam Miranda was the guy on the bench who actually got it done.

The thing I remember about Ted was that he never utilized the scoring potential of future NBA Hall of Famer, JO JO White. All of you posters who never saw Mr. White play, believe me, if you thought Curry is good or Rose is good or any other current "hot shot" is good, Jo Jo would have blown them out of the water.

If he had been playing with a three point line with the green light, he would have averaged 30+ plus as well as run the team and play hellacious D.

I only wish the best for Ted as well. [Are Ted, Larry and Bill the only living KU coaches???]

Martin Rosenblum 11 years, 4 months ago

Okay Jaybate,

This has your name all over it!

You're on the clock ( as the draft day expression goes)!

keith horinek 11 years, 4 months ago

Coach Nolan Richardson, I haven't heard his name for quit a while. Good for him. He got a bum deal at Arkansas. Oakville, I think Ol Roy is still alive.

Joe Baker 11 years, 4 months ago

You may leave the Jayhawk nation but it never leaves you. Once a Hawk, always a Hawk! Thank you Ted for your love of the game and the Jayhawks.

Oakville- I think you're right. They are the only living coaches that I can think of at this time. I'm sure others could shed much more light on your question.

Rock Chalk

Bill Kackley 11 years, 4 months ago

Yes, Don't forget Ol Roy. Everything you see about him indicates his strong love for KU and the esteme he holds for the Rock Chawk,

frompekka2sasha 11 years, 4 months ago

Zed's dead, baby. Zed's dead. So is Roy in this conversation.

speedy 11 years, 4 months ago

glad they enjoyed themselves playing golf. wonder how things would have fared if jojo,s shot had been ruled in .ted would have won the natl. championship. for KU.

Tony Bandle 11 years, 4 months ago

Oh my gosh.....I truly didn't mean to forget Coach Williams. Thanks for the good-natured kidding. If I had made that mistake on the Missouri site, I would have been vilified.....then again, why would I want to go to that site anyway!!!

Bill Klein 11 years, 4 months ago

to oakvillejayhawk: i'll give you another about Coach Ted and Sam Miranda. One day in the lockeroom after practice, Miranda started talking about playing to our highest level. This as he pointed to pictures of the All-Americans on the wall, ...."except Jo-Jo" :)

Michael Auchard 11 years, 4 months ago

Article about Sherron and Tyshawn from Zagsblog. Surprised this information wasn't on this site, actually. Hmmmm.

beebe1 11 years, 4 months ago

Nolan Richardson was an 'enemy' coach in the old days. I have fond memories of him == one senior's day we beat his team. We were down to the last minute or seconds, and I think Brown put in a seriously injured player, a senior, brace on his leg and difficult walking. Our injured guy passed the ball in to start the clock, and he walked onto the court (but not far). He got the ball back and his guard was all over him. Richardson charged down the court yelling "back off, back off." He was way out of the coaches box, but they were out of the game. The kid backed off and our guy took the shot. Missed of course, and no blame on Richardson.

I recall that as one of the great exhibition examples of good sportsmanship!

Martin Shupert 11 years, 4 months ago

Wait a minute! Shouldn't Coach Self be here in the U.S. recruiting? We desperately need... uhhh... let's see... what do we need? It will come to me... okay, we don't need anything, do we? Carry on, Bill.

JS82 11 years, 4 months ago

Ted Owens was the coach during my years at KU and he reminds me a lot of Bill Self. He was extremely likable and could remember names incredibly well. I met Ted one time and the next time he saw me he remembered my name and where he knew me from and that was a year later or so. We probably only talked for about 10 minutes or so the first time I met him. I heard that same story about him from others and that they had experienced the same thing. It's great to know he is still very active at 80.

vphawk2nickst 11 years, 4 months ago

Coach Owens is one of the finest men that I have known,as a former player I can say that his love for the University of Kansas is truly heartfelt. Coach would always remind us that we had the name of KANSAS on our jersey and that we were to represent our University with our best effort in every game no matter what the score. The years following his dimissal never dimmed his love for KU. Those that come on this board and disparge Coach Owens have in all probability never met this man . Coach Self has a high regard for Ted , so should those who appreciate the history of the basketball at THE UNIVERSITY OF KANSAS.

KUChamps528808 11 years, 4 months ago

I grew up in Lawrence a couple blocks from Ted Owen's house. As kids we would sometimes go over and shoot hoops in his driveway. We would pray he would be watching us from his window! I also went to Ted's basketball camps for four years and he made a point to talk personally with every single camper. The man loved KU, Lawrence and the game of basketball. It's great to hear he's in such good shape at 80!

jaybate 11 years, 4 months ago

jaybate news service:

Hamilton, Self Marathon to Athens

In Coach Bill Self's on-going efforts to resuscitate the reputations of certain less-storied KU coaches, Bill Self exhumed and reanimated former KU head coach W.O. Hamilton and took Hamilton to Greece, where the two men ran a marathon from Marathon to Athens, Greece. Hamilton, who coached KU's basketball and track teams for ten years between Forrest C. Allen's two tenures at KU, said it was great to be alive again and to meet KU's latest head basketball coach. Hamilton coached KU's first two All-Americans in basketball. Their names were Lefty Sproull and Dutch Lonborg. Coach Self said it was an honor and a privilege to run a marathon with one of KU's greatest coaches.

jaybate 11 years, 4 months ago

"Time present and time past Are both perhaps present in time future, And time future contained in time past. If all time is eternally present All time is unredeemable. What might have been is an abstraction Remaining a perpetual possibility Only in a world of speculation. What might have been and what has been Point to one end, which is always present. Footfalls echo in the memory Down the passage which we did not take Towards the door we never opened Into the rose-garden. My words echo Thus, in your mind."

--T.S. Eliot, Burnt Norton, The Four Quartets

Martin Rosenblum 11 years, 4 months ago

Whoa!

I would have gone the whole "....Time has come again" direction!

-- J. Hendrix