Saturday, March 28, 2009

Bitter sweet 16

Michigan State 67, Kansas 62

Kansas guard Sherron Collins looks back to the Kansas bench after fouling Michigan State guard Kalen Lucas on a made bucket late in the second half Friday, March 27, 2009 at Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis.

KU downed by Michigan State comeback

Kansas University's men's basketball team lost to Michigan State, 67-62, Friday night in a NCAA Tournament Sweet 16 matchup.

Audio clips

2009 KU-Michigan State March 27

KU vs. Michigan St.

Reader poll

Who was KU's first-half MVP against Michigan State?

• Sherron Collins 26% 16 votes
  • Cole Aldrich 46% 28 votes
  • Brady Morningstar 20% 12 votes
  • Other 6% 4 votes

60 total votes.

Reader poll

Other than Sherron Collins and Cole Aldrich, which Jayhawk will have the best game against Michigan State?

• Brady Morningstar 37% 10 votes
  • Tyrel Reed 7% 2 votes
  • Mario Little 18% 5 votes
  • Marcus Morris 22% 6 votes
  • Other 14% 4 votes

27 total votes.

Videos

KU vs. Michigan State

video thumbnail

Complete coverage of KU's third NCAA match-up of 2009.

Feature

2009 Bracket Challenge

Get yer bracket on! Browse all brackets, check out out KUsports.com staff brackets, and check to see how your bracket's holding up after each match up is complete.

Sherron Collins spoke in hushed tones, his eyes staring holes in the carpet in a somber Lucas Oil Stadium locker room.

“This stings,” Collins, Kansas University’s junior guard, said after the Jayhawks’ 67-62 Sweet 16 loss Friday to Michigan State.

KU led by 13 points late in the first half and five points with three minutes remaining, but the Spartans nonetheless managed the victory and earned a spot in Sunday’s Elite Eight game versus Louisville.

“I take the loss. I take it on my shoulders,” Collins said dejectedly. “I’m so proud of this team, these guys, (but) I didn’t want it to end like this.”

As in pretty much all of the Jayhawks’ 27 victories and eight defeats, prying media eyes focused on Collins’ play at the end of this one.

Michigan State point guard Kalin Lucas, with 10 seconds left on the shot clock in a 60-60 game, drove past Collins and hit a short shot in the lane. He also drew a bump from Collins, which was deemed a foul.

Lucas hit the free throw at :48 to give the Spartans a 63-60 lead, which MSU would not relinquish.

“I’m a little disappointed in myself. I think I could have gotten a stop if I stayed on my feet against Lucas,” Collins said. “He got me in the air. I didn’t think I bumped him, but I’m not complaining about any call. The ref saw it and called it.”

KU coach Bill Self, of course, wishes that play ended differently.

“We defended the entire clock, then he left Sherron,” Self said of Lucas. “After he lifted him, we would have been better off fouling the crap out of him rather than giving him the easy one. He stepped to the line and made his free throws.”

Lucas answered two free throws by Tyshawn Taylor with :32 left with two of his own at :26, giving MSU a 65-62 lead.

KU’s Collins was fouled by Lucas at :19, but missed the front end of a 1-and-1 free-throw situation, and MSU rebounded. Lucas was fouled at :14 and made two more free throws, effectively ending the game.

“I thought it was good out of my hands,” Collins said. “I just missed it. This is really tough, because I don’t want to take anything away from Michigan State, but I think we could have beaten them by double digits. We went brain-dead late in the first half (when 13 point lead dipped to seven by half) and late in the game.

“Turnovers hurt us,” added Collins, who shook his head upon glancing at the stat sheet which showed him for six turnovers to go with his 20 points and three assists.

The other half of KU’s dynamic duo, Cole Aldrich, had 17 points and 14 boards, plus four blocks, four assists, two steals and four turnovers.

“It’s going to take me a long time to get over this,” said Aldrich, who led the Jayhawks to a 37-31 rebound advantage over a team that had been outboarded in just three games all year. “It really hurts.”

The 6-foot-11 Aldrich placed his arm around 5-11 buddy Collins as the two entered the handshake line after the game.

Of course, Aldrich would not stand for anybody suggesting Collins was at all responsible for the season-ending setback.

“I love Sherron,” Aldrich said. “Sherron is a little stubborn at times. We butt heads at times. He’s led us through ups and downs. We are together. We are sticking together.”

Aldrich, who like Collins has not yet made up his mind whether he’ll be back at KU next season or will enter the NBA Draft, tipped his cap to an MSU senior who may be playing for money next year.

Senior center Goran Suton scored 20 points with nine rebounds and five steals.

“He was tough to guard. He hit a few jumpers off the pick and pop,” Aldrich said. “He’s really a good player. Give credit to Michigan State. They’ve got a great team.”

It’s a team that beat KU by 13 points earlier in the year in East Lansing, Mich.

Collins had 25 points in that game.

This game featured Collins not bringing the ball up court as much as in some games. He was more an off guard, effective at times and turning it over others.

“It’s a set of plays we run. Most sets the ball will come to me,” Collins said. “I didn’t make enough plays.”

Noted guard Tyrel Reed, who along with Taylor brought the ball up a lot: “We were running different plays, giving them different looks. We like to get Sherron on the wing to do some creating. He can feed Cole that way, drive or kick it out for open shots. Coach Self does a lot of things like that to put us in position to win. We stopped ourselves by making some bad plays at the end of each half.”

The bottom line, according to Self, is that it is a game KU could have, but didn’t, win.

“It was obviously a hard-fought game,” Self said. “I thought we played very hard. I thought Michigan State played really hard. Even though we never had control of the game totally, we were up five with three plus left, and they made all the plays down the stretch.

“I’m certainly proud of my guys. I mean, a bunch of young kids came in here and competed hard and wasn’t in awe of the atmosphere and the stakes. We gave them a run. We just didn’t finish the game.”

Comments

mojayhawk 11 years, 2 months ago

Advancing to the next round would have been great. A Final 4 would have been great. A National Championship would have been great.

BUT, I look back on this year as a group of young kids who started the season wide eyed and sometimes clueless, who grew into a team that was extremely well coached and matured into a conference Champion.

Coach Self and staff coached this team into maximizing their potential for this stage in their careers, and that is all anyone should ever ask. Next year, the nerves will be gone when tourney time comes around. Expectations will be high, but they will be more prepared to handle it. AND, more help is on the way with the class coming in (welcome Lance!)

I hope Sherron and Cole make sound decisions for their careers, not based on emotion, but on facts. I would love to see you both in blue again next year.
It will be fun!

Congratulations and thank you for a great season!

Rock Chalk!

Andy Hess 11 years, 2 months ago

great season, guys. keep working in the offseason and you'll do great things next year.

Steve Gantz 11 years, 2 months ago

MSU played great D, of course we helped them by dribbling right into double teams about 5 different times.
We missed an awful lot of short shots early in this game when we had them on the ropes. Nice contributions from some of the others but that disappeared after the half. Hopefully Cole and Sherron come back for another go. We'd have to be one of the favorites should that happen.

Matt Gauntt 11 years, 2 months ago

Disappointing loss to be sure.

However, how many would think that after having 6 guys drafted by the NBA last year, we would even have made it to the NCAA tournament?

Great run guys. I can't wait until next year. Cole turned into a monster this year and Sherron stepped up. The young guys will mature. They all showed great potential.

Set your DVR's for next season.

John Mueller 11 years, 2 months ago

It was a GREAT season. This is a team with heart and character.

I am KU PROUD this morning!

Tough loss, but those kids competed last night. We just didn't make enough plays.

Sherron is way too hard on himself. How can you ask more of that guy?

It is crystal clear to me from watching that game last night that Cole Aldrich needs to stay in school and get stronger. I am not being critical but he got out muscled last night and those odds don't improve in his favor in the league.

Great Season! RCJH!

hawkone 11 years, 2 months ago

Great year Hawks! Last night was a tough game, but to be honest I am very impressed that we made it this far. KU has alot of talent and will be a force to be reckoned with for the next couple years as they will only get better. I hope to see Cole and Sherron on the squad next season as I think we will make a run for the title and one more year will only help them and their future paychecks.

Thanks for a great year! Rock Chalk

NebraskaJayhawk 11 years, 2 months ago

Great game...great season. I just didn't understand what we were trying to accomplish on the offensive end of the court last night. Pass the ball around up top until the shot clock ran out every possession? It's not like we were holding onto a huge lead or anything. Oh well... It was, as many have said, a great season. I hope Collins & Aldrich both stay for another year and establish themselves & the rest of the team as legitimate contenders next season.

One side note as we go into the basketball offseason. Morris twins: STAY OUT OF TROUBLE..KEEP YOUR NOSES CLEAN and work on your game. Get in the weight room and achieve your potential. You guys have so much upside!

Dillon Davis 11 years, 2 months ago

I am dissapointed too. But like you all said we had a great year and win/lose that game we have already exceeded expectations for this year so i commend all the youngsters on playing so well. But i think most of us know the problem with that game especially in the last 4 or 5 min. When sherron was on the bench. No one could step up and score. We need that 3rd guy. Mario Little couldve been but he wasnt yesterday. Hopefully we get Lance Stephenson on Tuesday, who is a major offensive weapon and can really be that missing piece to this Kansas team.

KCinNC 11 years, 2 months ago

For their sakes and the team's sake I hope Collins and Aldrich are back next year. If they believe the hype they they're seriously deluded. Collins better work on his game, really hard in the off season if he hopes to ever see the NBA. He's gotta be able to stay in control. Cole must be MUCH stronger and NEVER miss a chip shot and work on the defensive footwork. Beyond that, if they love the school, how could they leave? Remember Julian Wright? He averaged 4 points in the NBA and missed out on being a part of the greatest game/moment in KU history. It's so fitting that he's on the cover of SI watching the game from the crowd. Collins has secured a spot in KU lore by his play in the final game last year, but if Cole leaves, he was never here.

jayhawkintexas 11 years, 2 months ago

What we lacked was another scorer and another rebounder and we basically got punked in the second half. In the off season, Cole needs to work on his weight lifting (maybe he should go to the same camp that Blake Griffin went to) and really muscle up, Brady and Tyrel need to work on their three point shooting, Tyshawn needs a lot of work during the entire off season on his ball handling (he dribbles way too high, which lets the other team strip him), Sherron needs to work on his mental game (QUIT dribbling into double- and triple teams), the Morris twins need a lot of work in the weight room, on footwork and their mental game, and they all need to work on their conditioning and speed. The running game we had in the first half last night disappeared during the second half-we got away from Jayhawk basketball and reverted to Self basketball (walk it up the court, no fast breaks)--we need, and used to have, a 40 minute running game. Not only did we get knocked out of the tourney, we will drop further behind North Carolina and fail to gain on Kentucky for winningest program. All this said, I think the team did very well for their age and lack of experience. They-and we-have a lot to be proud of.

KEITHMILES05 11 years, 2 months ago

This team provided alot of thrills this year. Very, very proud of them. Sherron is such a good leader and a man's man.

I know Self will tell each of them things to work on. They are young but we ALL have seen them mature.

With the incoming guys this is going to continue to be a tremendous team.

ROCK CHALK!

jayhawk02 11 years, 2 months ago

Congrats to Coach Self, his staff, and especially the players on a wonderful season. Sure, last night's loss stung, but who would have thought we would be in the sweet 16 back in November? I thought that, with the exception of Collins, we all were scared on the offensive end, even Aldrich in the second half. When Suton picked up his third foul, why in the world did Aldrich not keep attacking the basket? Also, how many open 3-pointers did Brady and Tyrel pass up? It was like they were playing hot-potato out there last night. I think that whenever their set plays didn't develop like they wanted, they looked lost. I think Collins is gone, hope not, but after his performance in the tourney, his stock rose. I can't blame him, supporting his son and all. I definitely think Aldrich needs to come back and hit the weights. How many times did he just jump 4 inches and lay it in, rather than exploding for a dunk underneath? Anyway, enough of the negatives, great year guys and thanks for your hard work. Rock Chalk!!!

Champs_R_Us 11 years, 2 months ago

Wow. First of all, what a great year and great bunch of kids who grew up to be men. I will save praise for the accomplishments of the freshmen for later times, because I know all of them take no solace in losing, even though they have nothing to be ashamed of and everything to be proud of. However, I will praise the two cornerstones of our team this year--Cole Aldrich and Sherron Collins.

To Cole: when stacked up against unreasonable expectations at the end of last year, it seemed that I alone wondered whether you could succeed. You did much more than that--you exceeded the lofty goals every poster was throwing out. "He's gonna be a double-double machine!" Check. "He's gonna enforce the paint all year long like against Hansbrough!" Check. "He will record a triple-double!" Ok, maybe no one saw that coming, but he did it anyways. My hats off to you, and I only hope you keep improving at the same rate you have been, for then we will be the team everyone fears.

To Sherron: Simply put, you became a man this year. I'm not talking about on the court (you've been a man on that setting for years now), but how you've progressed off of it. Take a few quotes from other articles. "Right now, I just want to see my son." And, "I put it [his FUTURE] in the hands of Coach, because of the way he cares about you on and off the court." The maturation is nearly complete. Us fans no longer have to worry about him gaining weight in the off-season or whether he's putting his all into the team. I'm worried whether the freshmen (now sophomores I guess) will be able to keep up with his renewed fire that's been lit inside him by the naysayers. I'm not worried one bit about him leaving, because Self will find out that too many NBA execs and scouts will doubt his ability to find a place in the League. And that works out just swell for us fans and our basketball team, because we have a home for you one more year Sherron! For the summer and all of next year Sherron, I hope you do the two things that you've been doing all your life--BALL and PROVE PEOPLE WRONG!!!

RCJH GO KU!

John Myers 11 years, 2 months ago

@ jayhawk02 - I thought the exact same thing about Reed and Morningstar - they looked completely afraid to take a shot. Specifically, I recall a short stretch with Collins on the bench. It looked like the whole team went catatonic, sort of like "Umm.. Sherron isn't here, nobody shoot until he comes back in.."

All in all, though, a great and unexpected performance this season. Come back, Cole and Sherron, and we will be a FORCE next year.

cklarock 11 years, 2 months ago

@Champs_R_Us: Great post. Seconded.

Hopefully we'll see Sherron and Cole in Jayhawk Blue next year, but if not, it's good to know that it'll be because they're out making money and supporting their families.

Sherron, I couldn't be more proud of the job you've done leading this team this year. Thank you for a great season. Rock Chalk!

chicagoeddie 11 years, 2 months ago

the tournament was just extra fun after winning the big 12. man i cant wait till next year! we get cole and sherron back and a kick ass incoming class with our current guys with experience, national champions again soon!

Rock Chalk! Thanks for a great year guys!

David Robinett 11 years, 2 months ago

Absolutely one key to the game was "scared to shoot". Especially Brady (whom I like).

Cole was a beast rebounding wise, but had what, 4 points in 2nd half.

Marcus had a few aggressive rebounds,but the twins completely disappeared offensively in the late season. Early, they showed they have good jumpers, but perhaps thinking too much now. Their game will come with experience - and in the weight room this summer.

Good points here about dribbling into double-teams - neither Sherron nor Tyshawn can succeed there. Elijah Johnson will help next season.

Thomas Robinson and Arizona 7 footer will take pressure off Cole next season, and he should be able to double his scoring average.

David Robinett 11 years, 2 months ago

I personally would have left Mario Little in the game in place of the twins and told him to SHOOT. He was our best candidate to the the 3rd scorer.

ColfromCO 11 years, 2 months ago

Every loss hurts. Being up five made it look like it was KU's to lose. They did. Like 64 other teams, season over.

Considering how far they had to come, this team has had an excellent season. Neither Sherron nor Cole are ready to go on to the next level. They both would be wise to come back. I expect them to both be back. I don't think that is just wishful thinking.

Now all the players have tasted the sweet sixteen and played for the elite eight. Next year it will be in their minds all season. And then at NCAA time, they will know what they are going after. Winning their first two games this year will make them more ready for the Championships next year.

Congratulations for what they accomplished this year. They are through their freshman year. And they will be a better team the coming year.

Fans have a lot to look forward to.

jaybate 11 years, 2 months ago

Sherron and Cole.

Sherron is a little stubborn.

Cole is a little goofy.

They are an odd couple, but a great couple. This team played some of the best KU basketball I can remember when they were on.

Sherron, all you need to remember after this game is to foul hard, or not at all, when someone clears out at the end of a game.

Cole, all you need to remember is pump the weights and develop more lower body strength so these strong and/or athletic bigs can't operate against you offensively.

Coach Self, all you need to remember after this game is, prepare you players for an opponent clearing out the floor for one on one. Izzo got you bad on that one. Get him back next year.

KUball14 11 years, 2 months ago

All right, heres what's going to happen:

Cole takes some time to ponder his NBA draft decision and then later has a press conference to enter the draft.

Without a deep run in the NCAA tournament that would have improved Collins draft status, he asks coach Self to evaluate it for him. They decide a bit quicker then Cole that Sherron is coming back for his senior season.

Lance Stephensen then announces that he will play college basketball for the University of Kansas after the Mcdonalds All American game.

With the backcourt of two of the most elite guards in Collins, Stephensen, and Taylor, Kansas is favorited to win the national title. The morris twins improve drastically over the off-season and with the addition of Withey and Thomas Robinson, the hawks establish a front court thats one not to mess with.

KU goes on to win the Big 12 regular season and tournament. As they make their run in the NCAA tournament, our backcourt becomes too much for most teams to handle.

Then on april 5th, 2010 the Kansas Jayhawks are crowned national champions , with Collins earning the most outstanding player.

100 11 years, 2 months ago

Great year, Jayhawks.

Its amazing that, even with all of our young guys, this couldve easily been another final four year with a play or two going differently.

You guys gave it your all and made us proud, although it hurts, leading for 39 minutes of a game to come up short in the last 15 seconds.

We'll take our lumps and move on...

We're all looking forward to next year's NCAAs...

Justin LoBurgio 11 years, 2 months ago

Get ready everyone....KU will return to Indy in 1 year for the 2010 final 4.

lovemyhawks 11 years, 2 months ago

last nite DOES smart a bit because we truly had it in the palm of our hands and choked at the end. yes, we went further than all the jayhawk fans ever dreamed but we were SO close to the elite 8 and i thought we had them and just couldn't finish the game. it's been a great great year and i hope next year is even better. have no idea which way cole and sherron will go..... think coming back would do them both some good but they both have families to think of also..... sherron's son and cole's dad who lost his job so who knows what they will be thinking. hope they make the right decision. i don't think michigan state can beat louisville, especially is they play like last nite. i still think louisville or the sooners will take it all. rock chalk jayhawk..... thanks for a great fun year!!

WilburNether 11 years, 2 months ago

I'm not sure I understand why some people think Aldrich is ready for the NBA. He's demonstrated time and again that he can be completely befuddled in dealing with double teams. In the NBA, he'll be expected to sense one coming, and make the right decision very quickly -- whether to shoot, make a move, or pass, QUICKLY. It's painful to watch him stand there, waving the ball around, looking around, trying to figure out what the heck to do. He cannot do that in the NBA.

And as Whitlock has observed, in the NBA he will be going EVERY GAME against guys who are bigger, stronger, and quicker than what he typically faced in college. Especially stronger, and anyone who was paying attention could see the problems he had on both ends of the court with strength issues.

That's not to say he won't go, or that he would not go as a high draft pick. The kid has a load of potential, and idiot NBA GMs draft on potential all the time -- and get burned more often than not. Cole needs at least one more season of work in the weight room, and tutoring on various aspects of how to play the post better than he does now.

Bill Kackley 11 years, 2 months ago

I hate to be a naysayer but I felt we should have won that game period. Neither team played well. We didn't have the intensity we needed to win. As far as Cole and Collins and the NBA if they want to be doing what several of our ex jayhawks are doing, playing in developmental leagues, they should go but they both have a lot to learn before they play in the NBA. Sherron needs to be able to make better decisions, no doubt he can shot well enough but too many times he is leaving his feet to pass, trying to penetrate into double teams or triple teams, etc. Cole would be no better than the 5th post player taken, if that. I think we will see the most improvement in Taylor and Appleton next year.

Chad Hallack 11 years, 2 months ago

I woke up this morning, damn proud to be a Jayhawk! I was pretty hot after the loss last night, but after about 5 minutes I came back down to earth. I realized, if someone had told me in October that we would win the Big XII and make the Sweet 16 I would have taken it hands down! Although, this loss would've been easier to swallow if we had played well down the stretch.

Thank you guys for an exciting season. It was awesome to watch you mature and see Cole really come into his own. Thank you Coach for one of the best coaching jobs I've ever seen. There are few if any coaches in country that could have done the job you did this year. And last but certainly not least... to the Sherrottweiler, I've loved watching you play more than any KU point guard this since Jacque Vaughn. One more year... one more year... one more year! Rock Chalk Jayhawk.

AJ Vanderhorst 11 years, 2 months ago

No one in their right mind can question Sherron's tenacity or effort. Same goes for Cole--I love the way they complement each other. If a third scorer had stepped up last night, the Jayhawks would be enjoying a double-digit payback win right now.

Sure, it hurts, because the lights-out first half, followed by the slow fade in the second, has been a feature of most Jayhawk losses this season. I was hoping we wouldn't see that Achilles Heel show up in the tourney.

But all said, it was a fantastic year, and there's no question that KU will have 3rd and 4th scoring options next go-round. NCAA title in 2010!

rcaltrider 11 years, 2 months ago

With Johnson, Robinson, and Stephenson coming in next year, KU is at 15 scholarships (2 over the limit). This means that two scholarships have to go. If both Sherron and Cole go, then that does it (but that is the worst of the scenarios). If both stay (which would be the best scenario) then two people would have to transfer or give up their scholarships. Morningstar is the only candidate to give up a scholarship (and that would make up for the stage-fright performance last night) and the only two transfer candidates that I could see are Relaford and Thomas (and I hope they don't). I guess we will just have to wait and see. If I had to guess, Sherron stays, Cole goes, and Morningstar gives up his scholarship.

ku_foaf 11 years, 2 months ago

Excellent season. I really did want to play MSU again, and of course beat them. The only complaint was Suton having at least 3 fouls that weren't counted. Ah well, I wasn't counting ignored fouls by KU, either. And Tyshawn did trip himself ...

You just can't be unhappy that they did this well this season. Johnson and Stephenson are simply incredible, but who will leave to make room for them? If Cole is really a top 10 pick, sadly, he has to go.

kufan89 11 years, 2 months ago

tough loss, but great run. i'm proud to be a jayhawk! i hope Cole and Sherron come back, and from the sounds of Sherron it sounds like he might. Can't wait till next season. Rock Chalk Jayhawk......KU!!!!!!!!!!!

JayhawkPhil64 11 years, 2 months ago

Great positive comments by the posters here. This is the best set of posts I have ever seen, particularly at the end of the season. This was indeed a hard loss to take, particularly when it resembled a couple of others earlier in the season but this team is one to be proud of and I am glad lots of other fans understand that. I can't remember a time in recent memory where I have looked forward to next season so much. I hope Cole and Sherron come back but will understand if they don't.

chanutejayhawk 11 years, 2 months ago

Tough loss to take. I want them to still be playing of course. However, I said at the beginning of the year that I would be satisifed if they made the Sweet 16, so I shouldn't complain. Of course, I hope everybody comes back too!

Tony Bandle 11 years, 2 months ago

ALL Right..I'll shed my usual Pollyanna role, take off my Crimson and Blue sunglasses for once and be the grump today. KU should have won that game. KU Nation should be talking about the game tomorrow.

Yes, I totally accept that this was a great surprise of a season, that things look fantastic for next year and that we are lucky to be Jayhawks...but, dammit, this team is no longer a bunch of dear-in-the-headlights kids.

They've shown toughness and courage in the face of adversity, yet to revert back to depending on if good Sherron or bad Sherron shows up, to watch Condor get the crap kicked out of him without jumping in, to be afraid to take a shot, to move without the ball, hell, to kill someone on a foul was distressing. MST didn't win that game...KU lost it.

If potential is close to reality, Brady, Tyrel, Markieff and Mario are going to see a lot more bench time if they don't improve, based on the quality of the kids coming in.

Down deep, a true KU fan never settles for anything less than the last game of the year being a victory. Sometimes you have to lose to learn to win, but it doesn't make it one damn bit easier to take.

My apologies if you guys think I've gone hard core on this, but we are Kansas and that trophy is always our goal!!!

Still, I will bleed Crimson and Blue to the day that I die......ROCK CHALK, JAYHAWKS, KU!!!!

lozar34hawks 11 years, 2 months ago

Don't hang your heads guys! U impressed the whole nation with a young team that you have! U now have some experience in the Madness and know what it takes to advance every round next season! Stick together as a team and improve each n everyday!! You guys can really dominate next season if everyone stays and improves over off season!!

ROCK CHALK JAYHAWK!!

Sparko 11 years, 2 months ago

Kansas was the better team, young or not. Michigan State will be exposed tomorrow. The play of the game to me was the moving, blocking screen that allowed a three to tie the game at 46. I won't blame the officiating, but I won't exonerate them either. The officials bailed out MSU to allow them to close the game. I wouldn't have gotten to see a blow out on the east coast, though--but I would have traded Gus Johnson's over-the-top call for a chance to watch the whole Louisville game.

CBS announcers seemed mighty darned excited by the Spartans. The coverage of the tournament by CBS was a huge disappointment to me. March Madness on Demand amounted to a bad slide show when CBS invariably cut away from Kansas. I wish any other network could wrest this thing away from them.

kstrebor 11 years, 2 months ago

Great season men, you exceeded my expectations this year as well as all the talking heads on TV. Hold your heads high! Hope to see all of you next season.

Rock Chalk

jayhawker_97 11 years, 2 months ago

couldn't have asked for more from this men's team! what a bunch of brave fighters. no tears dropped this season. but ready to tear apart every team next season!!! Cole, Collins, there's no way you guys are going to let one more Champ Ring to pass. we know how bad you two want to be a part of another historic celebration next season. one more NCAA season will land you two a bigger salary and top NBA recruits than now!!

can't wait to watch another great run! go Jayhawks!!

Hawker1 11 years, 2 months ago

As we look down on this loss we also see the brighter side to the sittuation we are going to have an excellent recruting class next season and have the returning starters from this season depending on the decission between Collins and Aldrich about the NBA. And as a lot of people that I have talked to even say this "If we have a season like we had this season,I don't see why we can't win another National Championship".

Great Job guys and I can't wait to see you guys again for another great season Rock-Chalk

Brian Skelly 11 years, 2 months ago

I have to admit, I felt like I was watching a slow death in the 2nd half last night. Even when we had the lead, we stopped be the aggressor, and were getting out worked by Michigan State. It was a complete 180 from the 1st Half.

That said, it went through my mind what would have happened had we just had a 3rd option consistently on offense all year. That just never happened. Taylor has the skill set to be that guy, but clearly his inconsistency was his undoing. Not all that surprising for a freshman, but clearly frustrating to all involved.

Think if Chalmers OR Arthur had come back? Not even both, just EITHER. I think the dynamic changes.

That said, I love what this team accomplished. We won the Big 12 with basically 2 guys. This was probably KU's worst team talent and depth wise since the T.J. Pugh / Nick Bradford years... what back in the mid to late 90s? And we won the conference with this ! ! !

I for one think both Sherron and Cole are coming back. Ironically, Cole would probably get drafted high with the dearth of big men out there. He'll probably stay. Sherron is good but he's 5'10". The NBA doesnt do 5'10". I could see him going and getting his one contract and being done. Either way I wish them the best. They gave their all in a year when we needed them too.

ann42 11 years, 2 months ago

It's great to be a Jayhawker and thanks for the great season. It was so much fun to watch our young team develop over the season. Thanks to a great coaching staff. Can't wait till late night and the start of 2009-2010 season. Rock Chalk

Nancy Borst 11 years, 2 months ago

Thanks, Jayhawks, for a season that far exceeded most of our expectations. I went into the season as relaxed as I have been in years - everything was gravy this year. But in what was supposed to be a rebuilding year, you soared to the top of the conference and made it three rounds into the big dance. Amazing.

We played loose in the first half, then that "deer in the headlights" mentality set in again - Brady caught off-guard by a pass while running our offense (as Len Elmore noted, how can that happen?) and how about the time Collins was out and it was like nobody wanted to handle the ball? That was really weird.

What really hurt was that we should have won. Had we gotten blown out by 20 points, I wouldn't have felt nearly as bad as I did because we SHOULD have won.

Looking ahead ... I think Aldrich is back for two reasons: 1) Self has made it a point recently of talking about how great he can be but how he needs more work to build lower-body strength. He has even said Aldrich could be the best big man he's ever coached (high praise); and 2) Aldrich is on record about how great it is to work one-on-one with Danny Manning. I don't think Cole's family's situation will play a role in his decision. He's a Midwest boy from a working family - he'll stay in school - something his parents never got to do.

Collins is less certain. I'm not sure he has what the NBA is looking for but his play in the tournament certainly didn't hurt his prospects. In our favor is that he plans to listen carefully to what Self tells him he should do.

I yelled, "Shoot it!" more than once, especially to Taylor, who just seemed to lack any offensive confidence other than his breakaway dunk.

I thought the twins were better last night - some good boards and some points. That was encouraging.

Too bad the team that killed Missouri at AFH never made another appearance this season. That team was confident, loose, fast and probably unbeatable no matter who they were playing.

Some predict we will be the pre-season Number 1 team heading into next year. I don't know if that includes an Aldrich/Collins lineup, but either way, we should be amazingly tough and certainly more experienced. I think - should they stay - that Collins and Aldrich could be heavy favorites for the national player of the year.

Rock Chalk, Jayhawks, on a job well done.

Dan Harris 11 years, 2 months ago

Only one thing to say, GREAT season Hawks and I cant wait until next year!!!

kennethst 11 years, 2 months ago

Jhawkdan42....

You said it! BTW....heading down for my first scotch......trying a Glenfiddich tonight.

Take care.....see you next year

craigers 11 years, 2 months ago

Great season Jayhawks.

However, I'm getting a little tired of people clowning on Morningstar. He has done a great job this year playing his role. He is like the freshmen when it came to this big of a stage to play on so give him a break. He will be back next year and will probably be in the mix because he plays defense and goes after the ball on the deck.