Thursday, December 3, 2009

Robinson mocked

Free-throw woes prompt nickname

Kansas forward Thomas Robinson throws down a dunk against Alcorn State during the second half, Wednesday, Dec. 2, 2009 at Allen Fieldhouse.

Robinson mocked for foul free throw shooting

Thomas Robinson picked up a nickname Wednesday that he doesn’t want to keep: Shaq-Rob.

Audio clips

2009 KU-Alcorn State

KU basketball dominates winless Alcorn State

Kansas basketball used a 36-0 first-half run to put away Alcorn State. KU moved to 6-0 on the season, Alcorn State 0-10.

Reader poll

Which better describes your emotions after the Jayhawks' victory over Alcorn State?

• I love watching any KU win, no matter the opponent 29% 927 votes
  • I'm ready to see KU play some better competition 70% 2167 votes

3094 total votes.

“It’s just a little joke going around tonight,” the Kansas University freshman said, “because I missed a lot of free throws.”

Robinson said assistant coach Danny Manning came up with moniker — a reference to NBA standout Shaquille O’Neal’s notoriously bad free-throw shooting — on KU’s bench. Teammates soon followed along.

“I’ve never shot that bad before. I don’t remember shooting that bad. But tonight was horrible: three for 11,” Robinson said of his free-throw effort in KU’s 98-31 victory over Alcorn State. “That won’t happen any more.”

The free throws were about the only blemish on Robinson’s stat line.

KU’s 6-foot-9, 230-pounder finished with his first collegiate double-double, scoring 15 points to go with 10 rebounds. He also was 6-for-7 from the floor while playing a bit weary.

“We had a pretty tough practice yesterday. Everybody didn’t have any legs today, but we still came out and played hard with fatigue going against us,” Robinson said. “We learned how to control that and play hard still.”

Robinson didn’t appear to be exhausted Wednesday, as some of his hustle plays helped KU gain extra possessions.

“I can’t make it known to the public I’m tired,” Robinson said with a laugh. “I have to keep playing hard every play.”

Robinson admits he’s learning that while playing fast is his game, sometimes playing under control is more important.

For example, his focus lately has been on improving his perimeter defense.

“When it comes to certain things like defense and closing out, you might want to slow down sometimes,” Robinson said. “That’s just something I have to work on. That’s not going to take long, but right now it’s still a process of getting better.”

In the post, Robinson also has performed better when he has composed himself before going up with a shot.

“(The coaches) are helping me slow down on my moves. They’re helping me read the defense, instead of just getting the ball and going,” Robinson said. “It’s much better, and it takes a lot of work off me, too.”

Following his 3-for-11 performance Wednesday, Robinson is just 13-for-30 (43.3 percent) from the free-throw line this season.

“Coach (Self) said we’re going to get in the gym and work on that,” Robinson said. “That’ll be the last time ya’ll will see that.”

And also, Robinson hopes, it’s the last time he has to hear his nickname as Shaq-Rob.

“He’ll knock down the free throws,” KU freshman Elijah Johnson said with a grin. “That name will disappear in a couple of days.”

Comments

SC0VILLE 4 years, 9 months ago

Careful Danny, you don't want Lew investigating you for name calling. ;)

Martin Rosenblum 4 years, 9 months ago

I see the nickname a sort of a compliment. Shaq is a force to be reckoned with in most areas of the game and has an intimidation factor about him. The FT situation is a flaw that is easily overcome by his dominace in the post. Danny didn't relize he was making a mountain out of a mole-hill. At least he didn't talk about TR's family!

Matt1958 4 years, 9 months ago

Does anybody know why CJ didn't play at all last night?

Tony Bandle 4 years, 9 months ago

I wonder if "CJ " stands for Challenged Journey. It appears his life keeps getting roadblocks:

1] Has chance to play with KU but passes. losing out on chance of a National Championship. 2] Decides to try baseball with disappointing results [ lack of production, injuries]. 3] Enrolls at Memphis but injury and coaching madness delay chance. 4] Comes to KU...still not 100 % and knowing in his heart of hearts that his little brother will achieve the dreams he knows he never will.

Thart's why I think I will make him my favorite player and try to send him some excellent karma.

Joe Baker 4 years, 9 months ago

Well said from a freshman phenom. This kid is going to be extra special over the next 1-2 years. His work ethic alone is going to dangerous for any opponent. He's smart enough to apply the work ethic to the game. He'll correct these issues and be at least a two time B12 All American. He will be a force to reckoned with!!

Go TRob!!

jhawks2012 4 years, 9 months ago

I don't know about you Oakville but if I could play a professional sport (and sign a contract with a 7 figure signing bonus) and then play a completely different sport at 2 D1 programs, I'd feel pretty blessed...but yeah hopefully he's healthy soon

Joe Baker 4 years, 9 months ago

I'm starting a campaign now...TRob for B12 All American!! He runs the floor better than any big man I've ever seen. It will be a two yr campaign and by his junior year, he'll be a huge force!! He may even be ready for office his soph yr...It's up to him. The campaign has begun! LOL

He may even run for the highest office of National POY!!

Vote TRob- B12 AA!!

Lance Hobson 4 years, 9 months ago

The guy is a monster. He'll be a first-rounder someday, we got a much better deal choosing him over Orton. Can't believe he wasn't ranked higher.

BucknellJayhawk3 4 years, 9 months ago

being made fun of means people like you, at least thats what my momma told me

Tony Bandle 4 years, 9 months ago

jhawks2012

PS Oh yeah, I forgot...he has millions in the bank, can become his brother's agent, still has time to recover and be a factor......hmmmmmm, maybe "CJ" could stand for "Cruisin' Joyously"!!!!!!

Your point is well taken, still, as an elite athlete, I'm sure he is frustrated at this point in his careeer and when Xavier Henry is your little brother, that bar of athletic excellence is set awfully high.

Hawk1969 4 years, 9 months ago

ESPN is reporting that Mangino will not be back next year.

jhawks2012 4 years, 9 months ago

Oakville, haha ya lets just say there both gonna be making plenty of money! But CJ will be fine swollen knees not to much to worry about.. everytime he plays hes looks good so im not worried!

okiedave 4 years, 9 months ago

Oh my gosh, I hope Lori does not read this story.

okiedave 4 years, 9 months ago

Holdin' my breath, hope Lori does not read this story.

jaybate 4 years, 9 months ago

A Question about Potter's Lake:

What is the largest fish ever caught at Potter's Lake?

okiedave 4 years, 9 months ago

Jaybate -- I threw a line out on the bridge in the Fall of '73 and caught a 108 lb. sophmore. Took the bait and have been happily married 35 years.