Kansas defeats Alcorn State, 98-31

• 7 p.m., Dec. 2, 2009
  • Allen Fieldhouse, Lawrence, KS

Thursday, December 3, 2009

KU shows no mercy

Collins fired up by snub

Kansas guard Sherron Collins pumps up his teammates after a slow start by the Jayhawks against Alcorn State during the first half, Wednesday, Dec. 2, 2009 at Allen Fieldhouse.

Audio clips

2009 KU-Alcorn State

KU basketball dominates winless Alcorn State

Kansas basketball used a 36-0 first-half run to put away Alcorn State. KU moved to 6-0 on the season, Alcorn State 0-10.

Reader poll

Which better describes your emotions after the Jayhawks' victory over Alcorn State?

• I love watching any KU win, no matter the opponent 29% 927 votes
  • I'm ready to see KU play some better competition 70% 2167 votes

3094 total votes.

Sherron Collins didn’t feel the least bit sorry for Alcorn State’s basketball players during Kansas University’s 98-31 battering of the Braves on Wednesday night in Allen Fieldhouse.

“I brought the guys in the huddle and said, ‘Don’t let ’em score,’’’ an angry Collins said.

He was seeking a shutout after experiencing what he deemed an unsportsmanlike act from the Braves’ bench that took place 21⁄2 minutes into the game, with KU actually trailing, 4-3.

The 5-foot-11 Collins, who was knocked to the floor under the south goal, was being helped up by an Alcorn State player when Collins said he heard something shocking from an ASU coach.

“When I was on the way up, the assistant coach was like, ‘Don’t help him up,’’’ Collins said.

“I was like, ‘What?’

“I didn’t go over there (to confront the unnamed coach). I just told him, ‘This is our house.’ Then I shot a shot from the sideline and heard him say, ‘You got nothin’.’ I looked back and said, ‘All right, it’s time.’’’

Time to get rolling.

The Jayhawks completed a 36-0 run — one point shy of the NCAA record for most consecutive points in a game, which was 37 by Utah State in a game against Idaho in 2006.

“The next time I looked over there (with KU leading 36-4), he was shaking his head. He didn’t say anything,” Collins said of the Alcorn coach. “I shook his hand after the game. He was smiling. He said, ‘Good luck.’ I don’t think he meant anything by it. I guess he was trying to fire his team up. They were up for the game, and emotions were flying high.”

Collins and Xavier Henry scored 18 points apiece as the Jayhawks rolled to the 67-point victory, which tied for third largest margin of victory in KU history. The biggest victory ever was a 70-pointer over Brown in 1989. It was KU’s biggest win since a 68-pointer over Oral Roberts on Jan. 14, 1993.

It was fewest by an opponent overall since March 10, 1951, when Oklahoma State scored 27 in Stillwater.

“We were fired up tonight,” Collins said.

And it was not just because of comments from the Alcorn State bench.

The (6-0) Jayhawks were hoping to impress coach Bill Self after their awful effort at a Tuesday afternoon practice that resulted in Self bringing the team back for another 8 p.m. workout.

“We were going to get up and down a lot. When guys didn’t really seem to be wanting to be out there as much as I hoped, we got a great opportunity to do a ton of conditioning, probably the most we’ve done at any time during a practice,” Self said.

“We had a unique opportunity where we could come back and start practice over that night. We practiced twice and literally wore them out.”

Collins wasn’t surprised Self called for two-a-days.

“I’ve been around awhile, I’ve seen it before,” he said. “Me and Cole (Aldrich, 13 points, 16 rebounds) can take that. It was our fault. If we have a bad practice, we have to take responsibility for it, which we did. We didn’t have our team ready to practice.”

Collins wound up hoisting 16 shots, hitting six. He was 5-of-12 from three-point land. He also had three steals on a night KU finished with 21 steals, which tied for second most in school history.

Collins had attempted seven shots in each of the Jayhawks’ last four games after putting up 15 in the opener against Hofstra.

“I was looking for it a little bit more. Coach was telling me to be aggressive. I was still looking for other guys to get shots,” said Collins, who had two assists against Alcorn (0-10).

Elijah Johnson had nine assists, while Tyshawn Taylor had five assists and five steals. Thomas Robinson had a double-double with 15 points and 10 boards.

“I didn’t want to run it up. I was hoping they’d make some shots. I was wanting them to make some shots and free throws, absolutely,” said Self, who couldn’t be accused of running up the score after playing his five starters just 106 minutes total.

KU will meet UCLA at 4:30 p.m. Sunday at Pauley Pavilion in Los Angeles.

Comments

Kris Nelson 4 years, 7 months ago

Sherron IS legend. This is the stuff legend is made of. This IS Kansas Basketball. If we don't want someone to score, they don't score.

I laughed so hard reading this. It was hilarious that an assistant coach would go out of his way to single out Sherron, apparently not knowing the wrath his team would incur for such a trespass.

aralls 4 years, 7 months ago

Kinda makes me want to follow the 'Hawks around the country, harassing Sherron a bit from behind the opposing team's bench so that we go for the jugular.

Eurekahwk 4 years, 7 months ago

Don't worry aralls, every arena we go to will have a student section dumb enough to taunt our pitbull. Although, it's his senior season. I don't think he needs extra motivation to kick #ss.

aralls 4 years, 7 months ago

True, Eurekahwk, but it would also give me an excuse to follow KU around instead of studying for finals. Coach Self, let me know if you need me....

waywardJay 4 years, 7 months ago

That would explain why all the sudden we just kinda locked them down defensively.... would have liked to see us shoot better during that stretch.... this is a team we could have beaten by 100 if we hit our shots

Robert Brock 4 years, 7 months ago

I have seen KU do this kind of stuff before with a bad ending. The Hawks pound the stuffings out of a complete nothing of a program, showing no mercy...and not letting the bench play as they should. Then, they face a mediocre but proud real D1 club on the road and are shocked, SHOCKED that they are not as easy as advertised and the Jayhawks actually have to work hard. The result - an amazing upset.

Look for it. UCLA 59...KU 55.

5yardfuller 4 years, 7 months ago

"Alcorn’s 31 points were fewest allowed by a KU team in Allen Fieldhouse history and fewest scored by a foe in Lawrence since Idaho scored 28 on Dec. 11, 1946, in Hoch Auditorium."

Nitpicking, but Iowa State scored 30 in Lawrence on January 24, 1947.

skwahjayog 4 years, 7 months ago

Brock--totally disagree! Coach only played the starters 106 minutes, or basically half the game. The bench got great playing time. The Jayhawks will have a tougher game against UCLA (hopefully!), but they won't fold--they are too tough mentally and athletically. Go Hawks!

Sammy2000 4 years, 7 months ago

Brock: "and not letting the bench play as they should."

The starters played a sum total of 106 minutes out of 200 total minutes. How is that not letting the bench play as they should? Would it be better if we just played them 10 minutes a piece and then the starters are out of practice heading into UCLA and conference play?

There are going to be patsies in the non-con. They are necessary to get the PT for the bench and to get the starters working together. It's not as if we didn't just beat a good Memphis team.

We'll see what happens. In the meantime, go back to Columbia and eat some pizza at Shakespeare's. Or go back to Manhattan and have a drink at Rusty's. But feel free to stop in here anytime.

Martin Rosenblum 4 years, 7 months ago

Brock -

Your prediction is ridiculous. If UCLA had that kind of defense, their record wouldn't be so pathetic this year so far. Yes, the Memphis game was in that score prediction range. But, the only one who was really productive that night was Cole. Memphis had an uncanny effect on KU with their "above their talent/experience" effort combined with our doldrum-like team efficiency.

UCLA is not Alcorn, true. But, we are hitting a stride that will improve with each game regardless of our competition. Don't disregard HCBS as the big factor here. We obviously have the talent and depth/ He wants another NC too badly to allow blips in this season. I predict 82-60. (KU wins , of course!)

FairgroveJayhawk 4 years, 7 months ago

Brock, you're thinking of the Roy Williams days of coaching.

FSUJHAWK 4 years, 7 months ago

Sherron shot 6/16 or 38%. Hopefully this will improve as the season goes on, particularly when he has a chip on his shoulder in the more important games. Luckily the team has matured somewhat and has more offensive threats to offer. We'll need Sherron to be poised down the road and not take things personally when the big games are on the line. Last year's Syracuse debacle comes to mind but I have faith that HCBS will manage accordingly.

The UCLA game should be fun since it will be our first true road test and despite UCLA's record the game should be competitive and a learning experience. KU on top by 10-17.

RCJHGKU!!!

Sean Rodger 4 years, 7 months ago

Speaking of Roy Williams...

Isn't real genuine of HCRW to recruit the midwest in Kansas' backyard when he wouldn't touch anything east of KCMO? He didn't want to go into NC's backyard for recruiting and instead went out west. Very happy to see HCBS going and plucking players out of the eastern seaboard.

On another note - well stated about Roy Williams (FairgroveJayhawk) - every year it seemed like we had the talent to win a NC with HCRW, but always came up short. After Roy left and I read about HCBS - I was like yeah, we're getting a gem.

The best quote I remember about HCBS is this:

When asked by the media about his style of play - the media asked - after the offense scores on KU are you going to run like Roy did?

HCBS says: "Why let 'em score"

• and obviously that held true last night.

Ben Kane 4 years, 7 months ago

you guys can really be harsh. I think Brock's point is valid, though hopefully incorrect. What he is probably trying to say is that a blow out game like this can easily lead to to an underperformance against a better team. With our leadership I don't see that as too big of a problem. With UCLA appearing to be sliding hard it isn't likely that they will beat us but I fully expect a vicious effort on their part.

Ben Kane 4 years, 7 months ago

I'd like to thank Srem again for streaming the game. You rock!

If not for you I'd have only been able to see the Memphis game so far.

klineisanazi 4 years, 7 months ago

5yardfuller....Allen Fieldhouse didn't open until 1955.

Hays_Hawk 4 years, 7 months ago

I'm a KU fan to my very core and I'm even a big Collins fan....but hays anyone else been a little annoyed with his attitude and demeanor this year? I know the guy is a stud, you guys know he's a stud, but does he really need to act like he knows it too? How about being a little more humble and just play the game.

Stop dramatizing injuries (the cramps, ankle which he came right back from, and every other supposed injury that has caused him to fall down in 5 of 6 games).

I don't at all condone the actions of the idiot coach who taunted him but at the same time, I once again saw Sheron Collins sitting on the court (right in front of their bench) for an extended amount of time after falling down after a missed shot. You didn't get fouled...you're not hurt...so get your ass up and play that game! Man up Sheron.

KANSTUCKY 4 years, 7 months ago

I don't think our memories are short enough to go back out to UCLA and not come home with a win. Remember '07 we were the #1 seed playing in their back yard and the officials wore powder blue and yellow socks? I see another blowout. I told you guys way back the Memphis game would be tough. Karma. I just wish Collins had a reason to get up for every game. RCJH payback time. CB32 ESPN360 or Full Court.

kufankam 4 years, 7 months ago

chuckberry,

just a heads up... if your internet provider carries espn360, they have streamed all these games as well and carry A LOT of games if you aren't able to always find em elsewhere... the quality is suberb and they keep the games archived for a while if you want to replay one... it is completely free so you may check it out (espn360.com)... just fyi...

AsadZ 4 years, 7 months ago

Does anyone know as to why CJ Henry did not play. I was hoping to see him get some minutes.

oldalum 4 years, 7 months ago

I thought it was your cable provider, not internet provider. Guess I'll have to look into it again.

TimmytheJayhawk 4 years, 7 months ago

Good points all around. This is a young team that could misstep, especially right after such a wierd game. Self will have them ready, but there is a reason why they play the games... In either case, a loss at UCLA will not derail the Indy Express!!!!!

KANSTUCKY 4 years, 7 months ago

p>ESPN360.com carries all the ESPN Full Court games for free. ATT, Verizon, most college ISP's and random others have agreements. TimeWarner/Roadrunner does not carry. When youtry to sign up they list the service providers. They also have access from outside the area if you set it up right when you are eligible. I got the FC subscription for 26/mo for four months. So far I havent missed a game here in hillbilly hell. (The locals like to keep tabs on the best program in country) Right UKcats? CJ Henry had knee issues again.

Hawk1969 4 years, 7 months ago

Don't sleep on UCLA. KU gets EVERYONE'S best shot and UCLA needs a marquee win to get back on track.

I look for a tough game out there and the boys better be ready.

Tony Bandle 4 years, 7 months ago

Also...don't forget. It is Tinsel Town with plenty of distractions to go around. Hollywood, Venice Beach, Disneyland, Rodeo Drive, Brea Tar Pits[ no, really...they are pretty neat!!], the Pacific Ocean, Santa Monica Pier, stars and starlets,.......etc.

Even playing in Pauley Pavilion with Coach Wooden in the stands, can be daunting if a team is not focused. Maybe we can get Joe Pesci to harass Sherron from behind the bench!!

Kansas 78 UCLA 59

Steve Brown 4 years, 7 months ago

Timmy good point all aboard for the Indy Express.

John Wooden, as a young man, left pastures of Indiana for California hoping to get a job. He spent a summer working on memorial stadium soaking up the spirits in the cradle of college basketball. Many great coaches spent time in Lawrence or Stillwater.

He is 99 and attends a few games, it would be high honor if he was able and elected in person. I don't know what in history of sports rivals his record. Not the Yankees, nor Tiger, nor Secretariat, nor Ali (well maybe), not the '25 Washington Senators, I really don't know what equals it.

Phoggin_Loud 4 years, 7 months ago

In the business world it is believed that if you do something once, it proves that you can do it and therefore should do it every time. Hey, 'Hawks. Don't let any team score!!

suttonku 4 years, 7 months ago

Brock,

get off the crack! KU could start Teahan, Reed, Jeunaman, TRob, and someone from the crowd and beat UCLA!

Steve Brown 4 years, 7 months ago

Jbate, I'm going to need your defense here as JH nation tears into me.

since J. Wooden. is the Doc Allen of the modern era.

What tribute other than, on the court, the team intends to do to celebrate this college basketball icon if he by chance shows up in person.

1st I envisioned the team when introduced walk over to coach and salute him.

Then I thought something better, albeit high risk.

1st possession SC crosses half court, passes to X (maybe COle) who walks, yes travels, the ball over and hands to coach if he can still hold a ball, as a tribute. We hustle back on defense.

I know I know if we lose by 1, (we won't) it would be ridiculous to intentionally create one turnover.

Reflect on this: I have memory of a day in AFH where Archie Marshal and Coach Brown, ( I think it was these two) had Archie go into a game after a career ending knee surgery. He could hardly walk much less dribble.

In advance, we alerted maybe it was Eddie Sutton, and Archie got a touch on the ball, what Larry didn't expect, but should have known is that Archie launched a shot, even though Larry told him to catch the ball and then call time out. The publicity was worth tons of good will.

The other advantage is that it would be the ESPN Top Ten play of the month. The publicity would be worth millions.

before you rip my heart out, have you ever given a 2' putt, let a kid drive the lane on you, or .. done something out of the box for a higher purpose?

One side of this idea rubs me the wrong way, the other side of it has creative potential. or have I gone off the deep end?

Michael Leiker 4 years, 7 months ago

aralls - I'm 2nd row behind UCLA bench this weekend. I'll fire him up for you on Sunday.

thmdmph 4 years, 7 months ago

I think I'm a little different than most fans on this site, but I didn't walk away too enthused after this game - granted I watched it on justinTV. I actually didn't think we were as good as I had hoped. I actually was kinda disappointed.

We were playing what amounted to an average high school BB team. Considering we're supposed to be #1 D1 team in the country. I felt like we were paced by the lesser team. I felt bad for Alcorn because they were way over matched and it seemed like they had no idea what to do on the floor. It was chaos when they have the ball.

I know many people will object to this set of opinion, especially the "I felt like we were paced by the lesser team", because, how can anybody say that we were paced by a lesser team when the score is 98-31? The other team were like a team from a pickup game. They didn't have much organization. So they looked lost and frantic on the floor. At many points in the game, we looked chaotic too. We were throwing the ball recklessly turning the ball over 17 times to a high school or pickup team. Not good. I was expecting a more mature team that play with more control, especially against a much much lesser team.

Against this team, we should have very easily gotten a +70-80 points margin. And no, I'm not promoting to run up the score. I mean, having the same players on the floor at the same time as last night, we should have done better and should have made many records, including the margin of victory. The turnovers, the better percentage scoring, and the pacing of the game against an opponent like this is really not much to celebrate about.

I've said this earlier, but the freethrows are scaring me. I remember many prior teams in the 80-90's where they had lots of talents, but when crunch time comes, free throws starts to make gigantic difference, KU start losing because of missed freethrows. I'm praying we won't become a Memphis.

As for Collins, I'm a huge fan. But to have only 18 points to show for after 28 shots. Considering he's a point on a team loaded with talents, again, against Alcorn. I wouldn't get too excited.

Finally, what's up with "Cole needing more touches". Intentional or not, if Cole is not getting touches now, then how is it going to be that the team can just switch mode and get the rock into his hand when we need it against real competition.

Sincerely, Concerned fan.

Steve Brown 4 years, 7 months ago

leikness, keep yelling 'don't help him up, don't help him up';

Ben Kane 4 years, 7 months ago

did anyone (Nick?) get a photo of the leap frog?

JHWK 4 years, 7 months ago

thmdmph: What more do you want? Missed the largest run in NCAA history by 1. Played reserves for 94 min. Yes, we have careless turnovers - but check the calendar - and the tendency for even the NC team early in that season.

Sometimes, one plays to the level of their opponent, good or bad. We had some sloppy possessions, and will continue to do so. We may even have - dare I say! - a loss or two this season. Life will go on if we do not break every NCAA record against an opponent who should likely never have been extended an invite into AFH.

Let's remember we're just into December and still have some gelling to do as a team. Last night got downright boring and sloppy at points - but we won. And we'll go into Pauley and be shocked by our nerves, and turn the ball over, and then hopefully remember how to move the ball, hit open shots (unlike last night), and come away having learned some things (and with a win).

TRob had a nice game, and maybe these cupcake games will help he and the other Frosh with their confidence.

Rock Chalk!

jayhawker_97 4 years, 7 months ago

keep your heads down low, Collins. the team fired up against Alcorn, but check the stats, too. you guys misfired a lot!! this is just Alcorn state we're talking about. how about another game with Memphis? good win, but keep humble. you're supposed to be angry and hungry like that against any teams, regardless the sideline drama.

rock chalk!

ginger2015 4 years, 7 months ago

Two practices the night before a game, with the last one starting at 8pm? They weren't getting ready to play Alcorn, they were getting ready for UCLA. Last night was nothing more than a glorified practice and it looked like it at times. They'll be ready for the Bruins.

keith horinek 4 years, 7 months ago

Brock is right on. We have no business playing teams like Alcorn State. Let's start scheduling some Michigan State's, Villanova's etc. Just what did the team learn last night? What good did it do to put up 34 three point shots? Why didn't we practice on set plays? Why schedule a team that allows the bench to play 100 minutes? I hope the kids have their heads on when they come up against UCLA. They just might get blindsided by a team they overlook. Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge KU BB fan, I never miss a game, but I was a little disappointed in last night's game. We need to challenge ourselves every time we play.

ginger2015 4 years, 7 months ago

While I'm at it, although I'm not a big Conner Teahan fan, I have to give props to the kid. He really played well last night.

Lance Hobson 4 years, 7 months ago

Wow, Pitt State and Washburn, et al always score a lot more than that. This team was a joke. I'm surprised a coach would say something like that in AFH with a winless team going up against number one.

ginger2015 4 years, 7 months ago

Oljhwk: How does UCLA, Cal, Michigan, Temple, Memphis and Tennessee sound to you?

thmdmph 4 years, 7 months ago

JHWK, you're right, I am wanting too much. Kinda unrealistic. However, I think fans have a herd mentality where when a team is winning and blowing out cup cakes, they all gets confident and cocky. Then when hard time comes, like agaisnt Memphis, everybody start criticizing (well not everybody, but you get my point).

There's always room for improvements. And the team should wait till it's crunch time to make these adjustments. And the things I'm concern about are quite fundamental.

thmdmph 4 years, 7 months ago

I meant the team SHOULDN'T wait till it's crunch time to make these adjustments.

BrockIII 4 years, 7 months ago

KU might just as well have played a high school team last night. The value in playing a game like that is nonexistent. The team gets much more out of hard scrimmages or practices every week, so there's not much need to praise this victory. The offense did look surprising sluggish at times, though, and maybe has to do with lack of complete focus and motivation against such a deficient opponent; otherwise, KU could have won by 100.

UCLA is going to be truly up for the game this week and KU still has yet to play anyone solid. Memphis has some real speed and talent but the IQ is really not there yet. We'll see where this KU team really is in the next few weeks when we face some decent competition. What happens when KU is forced into a slow, deliberate game and have to play in the half court? They haven't been in that position much this year aside from the Memphis game, which they really struggled in. This will be a very interesting game.

KU 4 years, 7 months ago

thmdmph........I'd like to see you break all those records you referenced above after having Bill Self work your @$$ off for not one, but TWO, practices the day before. It sounds like the second practice must have been just brutal. If you think Mangino can run a rough practice, go to one of Self's practices......even when he's in a GOOD mood. I think the poor shooting percentage can be chalked up to not having our legs last night.

KU 4 years, 7 months ago

BrockIII......when KU gets forced into a half-court game you will see Cole and Sherron take over. That's right in their wheelhouse. Cole is much more effective in the half-court and Sherron can impose his will on any team in the half-court. With X on the wing for kick-out 3's, Sherron will be even more deadly.

Joel Hood 4 years, 7 months ago

Brockhill,

I have to disagree. A young team needs to have repetition in the game environment to help get the freshman acclimatized. TRob would likely make all his free throws in practice. This game helped expose his bad FTs in game situations. Any game gives more exposure to the flaws than a normal practice would. I know that Alcorn, Pitt St, & Ft Hays St don’t provide a good athletic match up, but games help coaches in ways that normal practices do not. Players also see any game as a great break from the monotony of practice – its still just a game and needs to be fun.

BrockIII 4 years, 7 months ago

KU, that's where I expect KU to be by March, but it's not March right now. That's what I expected to see in the Memphis game, but our guys looked lost sometimes. I am anxious to see the UCLA game and how they have improved in the last few weeks. Ball movement, moving without the ball, feeding the post, and patience are things I am looking for and hoping to see out of this group.

omng392 4 years, 7 months ago

Hey what was the final score of the BEAT DOWN that we put on KY when Roy was here... Alll I remember is him swinging his jacket over his head, and Pitno giving him the finger... It was 156 - ??? Is that the all time biggest beat down or what!!!

Second favorite BEAT DOWN KU vs NU. AT NU... 46 - 14 at the end of the FIRST HALF!!!! NOW SWEET especially, since I live in the land of CORNF$%K#$

Personally, I like the energy, that the guys had, it goes along way with me... Nothing like pounding down a coldie watching the best team in the land KICK A##!!!

ROCK CHALK....

KU 4 years, 7 months ago

omng392......I think the Kentucky meltdown was 150-95.

100 4 years, 7 months ago

Lighthawk,

I absolutely love your idea. For so many reasons & as I'm much too busy the last couple weeks I don't have time to go into them.

But that's the pageantry of everything Naismith has created -- Wooden himself spent time in Lawrence after winning a state championship, pouring concrete for the current football stadium at KU, which came about due to a miraculous (football) coaching effort led by Phog Allen & assisted by Dr. Naismith (whose favorite sport as a kid was lacrosse, second to football). Essentially KU came back from a 20-0 halftime score against Nebraska to tie it at 20-20 at the end of the game against the Big Red Machine. Thanks to Phog & the inventor of the football helmet & forward pass (Naismith), money began pouring in for Memorial Stadium.

To this day it baffles me that Phog, Naismith & Wooden all had major hands in creating Memorial. Wooden had not enrolled yet at Purdue, where his dad really wanted him to go -- but the story that is never told is "why Lawrence?"

Wooden could have gone anywhere to cut wheat with his high school basketball teammates to make summer money. There was no reason that Lawrence had to be their stop. The story that is buried underneath it all is that Wooden loved (LOVED) basketball. He was an incredible player with incredible self discipline. He had a radio & had heard all about the Phog/Naismith coached teams in Lawrence growing up. Especially that 1923 team really took the cake for him. In short, he wanted to get to know Phog & Naismith...

And he did. And they liked him so much he got a job thanks to them. And then went back home afterwards with his friends & with a sick dad, stayed close to home for college...

But Wooden too, like so many others, wanted to get to know basketball...

So he came to Lawrence...

I remember the Archie Marshall last shot limp off of his career... He could barely walk onto the court & the OSU defenders backed off & he launched that thing from 35 feet....

It almost dropped...

That happened to be Danny's last night too, so by far that's the loudest I've ever seen the fieldhouse including during Wilt's time.

The roof was seriously about to come off the top.

I love the idea of one of KU's players getting a purposeful travel on the first possession & handing the ball to Wooden.

He is worth at least one sloppy turnover!!!

"Passing Wins Championships"

40-0.

Steve Brown 4 years, 7 months ago

100: thanks.

ESPN promoting their top ten plays of the day, "you won't believe our top ten, it is a turn/over by a #1, stay tuned for sports center."

The best team in the country paying tribute to the best coach living.

Kansas 78 Bruins 64

100 4 years, 7 months ago

Haven't seen that highlight.

Yesterday I saw Darnell Jackson on a Lebron James highlight of the Cavs playing football in their practice facility.

DJ had a great interception with some very nice highsteps past the midcourt line...

Joe Baker 4 years, 7 months ago

I really like this team's ability to switch gears. They did a really good job at Collins' command. I think ucla will play a little until we hit turbo. It may be a 10-12 ballgame until the second half. KU will kick it a few notches. UCLA is not that deep.

They'll be fine!

RCJHKU

SaltyJayhawk 4 years, 7 months ago

Some of you guys are being so negative about our team. We should all just be thankful that we're part of the Jayhawk nation and that we have such a freakin sweet team. Think about how disappointed you would be right now if you were raised to be K-state or Mizzou fans.

Joe Baker 4 years, 7 months ago

What's up with Frank Martin and the kitty cats? I was up in the KC area over the last few days and the radio was discussing Martin as if they were on the verge of excommunicating him.

What's the gist? It also mentioned Wally Judge not playing? Some kind of disagreement with Martin and fans or Martin and AD?

Dirk Medema 4 years, 7 months ago

chuckberry32 says - did anyone (Nick?) get a photo of the leap frog?

It was a Top Ten (#3?) last night, so you can probably find it on ESPN's site.

I want to see the block that he snatched out of midair they wrote about.

thmdmph 4 years, 7 months ago

KU. if they didn't have the legs from the 2 workout, which I'm sure you're right, they should have attempted to kick it inside more. AFter all, that's what coach and players all have been talking about doing for the last couple of years. But at the end of the day, I agree with you guy.

The other thing to consider is - KU had two practices the day before - which is rough. But consider Alcorn hasn't played at home all season and has been in a beat down most of the games they been involved in. Now - that's demoralizing (capitulated by a KU whooping).

What can KU really get away from a game like this, you're damned if you win, you're damned if you don't.

Steve Brown 4 years, 7 months ago

100 I meant to say ESPN highlight that night, would be promoted something like I described - IF and only IF they would take a travel call while giving the ball to Mr. Wooden. Not something that already aired.

the whole team just walk over there in unison-

wonder if we would get a T.

so, we'll have to let the refs in on it.

he sits row one baseline easy to get to him ...if he is present.

DENDK24 4 years, 7 months ago

Did anyone else notice that Cole didn't really seem to have any lift last night. I know he still got 16 rebounds but he didn't look right to me. Hopefully it was just fatigue from the day before that a few of you keep implying was the problem with our shooting.

Hays_Hawk 4 years, 7 months ago

ginger2015 (anonymous) says... Hays: I don't believe that Sherron nor anyone else on this team needs your advice on how to conduct themselves on the basketball court. Man up? Why don't you tell him that to his face?

Lol, so I should tell him to his face soooooo what....he can kick my ass? I'm pretty sure the last time the a KU basketball player got in a fight it didn't work out so well. Think about your words before you start blabbing on here. In regards to what I said, it's not advice. It's my opinion...which I believe I'm entitled to share on here. It's not just me either. I can speak for A LOT of KU fans around here that feel the same way about Sheron's attitude this year. All I'm saying is play the game and play it with class (which he does for the most part). We don't need the acting and drama...which has been worse this year compared to years past...and you know it...even if you don't want to admit it. :-)

FairgroveJayhawk 4 years, 7 months ago

I also believe the team is progressing well. The offense if running better with fewer turnovers. Rebounding and defense were better last night. People are learning their assignments and developing chemistry. The younger guys are learning their roles and finding their game which will be necessary as the season progresses. These teams have been cupcakes lately but they also play a role in team development.

Drgnslyr (sp?) made a good point a few days ago about Collins looking like wall paper so far this season. I agree and believe Self has him laying back to allow the everyone find their game and develop early while we are playing cupcakes. With Collins fired up they shut the competition down. I look forward to greater competition so Collins and Cole play with greater conviction. The general is in the house but letting everyone gain their swagger. The chemistry is working via mad scientist Self. I can't wait to see the 10 headed monster in January.

chalkitup1811 4 years, 7 months ago

I really hope that CJ gets healthy. man i watched him play all throughout highschool. my brother played against him and after seeing that he still has some mad game. i want to see him gets some good minutes and play with his brother...because i x is good i played many a games against him. my buddy got kicked in the head after getting dunked on . hahahahah Henry Bro's need to play together thats a nasty combo. Sherron is the man though. he owns the team !

Steve Brown 4 years, 7 months ago

bloogers now don't go off and believe everything you read on these fictional postings, especailly on discount wine night at Vino's.

you must believe nothing that you hear, half of what you read (in official publications) and less than all you read on blogs.

night all.

100 4 years, 7 months ago

Lighthawk,

Yes your description is what I envisioned too. Would be awesome. Purposeful travel. Entire team walks over (that part of your idea is even better).

Heck yeah they'd T us up!!!

It's worth it, John Wooden poured our football stadium for crying out loud!

jaybate 4 years, 7 months ago

What KU Ought to Do at the UCLA Game:

lighthawk,

I spent the better part of a day with Coach Wooden and Nell once.

You'll have to trust me on this one.

He would not like a player, or a team, committing an intentional violation, or TO, during a game to pay him respect.

He deeply disliked grandstanding of any kind, even the well-intended kind.

The game and the floor were sacred to Wooden, though he would never have put it so strongly.

Wooden will be rooting his heart out for UCLA to beat KU, and don't be surprised if, weak as he may be, he has had Ben Howland come visit him to give Ben a few wrinkles that might beat Okie Ball and Bill Self. He really is that competitive and devoted to UCLA. Outside those who have played for him, played opposite him, or spent some time up close and personal with him, most persons just have no idea how ferociously competitive the Indiana Rubber Man really was/is.

The time for KU players to pay Coach Wooden respect would be after a hard fought, well-played game, regardless of which team wins; then he would graciously accept and return the compliment. And he would be touched I am sure, for there was some attraction for him to Kansas once a very long time ago, and he, as much as any person, knows the legacy of the game and the significance of Kansas to it.

The John Wooden I met will not explicitly hope for a UCLA victory against Kansas; that would be poor sportsmanship and missing the point of the Pyramid of Success. He will hope for UCLA to play to the very best of its ability. He will hope for UCLA to be at its best, when it needs its best. He will hope for UCLA to show competitive greatness. He will hope UCLA does not waste time preparing for what KU will do. He will hope UCLA spends time working on executing what it does to the very best of its ability. He will hope UCLA sets and holds the tempo. He will hope UCLA will do exactly what it wants to do exactly the way it wants to. He will hope the players used the back board on most shots. He will hope each player squares his shoulders up to the rim and shoots not at the top of his jump, but almost at the top of his jump. He will hope every UCLA player unselfishly accepts his role on the team that Coach Howland has assigned him. He will hope every pass is crisp and that there is not one step of wasted motion. He will hope every UCLA player remembers to be quick, not fast. He will believe that if UCLA does all that, then they will almost certainly win. And if they don't win the score, well, then they will still have won the greatest competition--the competition with one's self to be the best one can be.

jaybate 4 years, 7 months ago

What I would recommend to Coach Self and the KU players is that they carry a chunk of Memorial Stadium concrete cut from an old part of the stadium. I would recommend the chunk of concrete have been etched by a mason to read:

To: John R. Wooden, the greatest basketball player and coach that Kansas ever let get away.

From: The University of Kansas, starting with James Naismith and continuing for as long as the game of basketball is played by Jayhawks and Bruins.

I would recommend Sherron and Cole carry the concrete block out with them from the locker room during pre-game warm up. I would recommend they set the block on the last chair that is part of the KU bench. I would recommend they put a towel over it, so that it is covered up during the game.

I would recommend that win, or lose, after the game, they go through the hand shake line and then Coach Self leads the KU team in walking over to the part of the floor nearest where Coach Wooden is sitting and they quietly set the block on a chair before him.

I would recommend they look up to him and say in unison, "We call you, Coach, too. On behalf of Kansas basketball, we want to thank you for what you have done for the game."

I would recommend Coach Self and the team turn around and file off the floor like gentleman and go straight to the locker room.

The Indiana Rubber Man will understand and appreciate the gesture.

Joe Baker 4 years, 7 months ago

They were awakened after the Memphis game. I'm really glad they got that wake-up call early in the season. They understand how beatable they are on any given night. They know how to apply preventative measures.

They'll do fine against UCLA!!

RCJHKU

Steve Brown 4 years, 7 months ago

Jaybate I know all that you say is true. he didn't look at or want his team to know the score or clock. Play every play as if you are tied and it is last one. I read at the time his players quotes as to how they won and dominated. His mantra was do your best all the time, he reported we never discuss winning or losing or the score.

10 years ago he said Jacque Vahan Kansas team was his favorite to watch on TV as they knew how to 'pass the ball'.

Of course you are right, yet I was reaching for the ESPN moment. The gesture + the publicity, not just the gesture. one of those large iron nails from old memorial wooden door on a plaque will do the gesture.

I was supposed to be in LA this weekend, yet my travel was rearranged, wanted to hear the rock chalk chant in pauley in person.

RCJHKU

Steve Brown 4 years, 7 months ago

for younger fans, UCLA is one of hanful of teams that we don't enjoy a winning record, I won't name the others, they quit playing us in recent years since Pitino days.

gosh I pray we meet Cal in St. Louis not in Indy...an dit is likely that we may.

Martin Rosenblum 4 years, 7 months ago

There was an interesting interview with Coach Wooden recently on tv. At 99 years old, he still writes a love letter to his deceased wife on the same day every month, just as he has done since she died over 20 years ago. He was asked if he ever uses or used profanity. He said the last time he did was when he was 16.

I wish I could remember what staion this interview was on so I could provide a link. It was a truly amazing glimpse of a real old-school coach who was all about the sport.

Now, to return to our next game.... let's open a can of whoop-ass on the Bruins. Let's see if we can get him to swear and cuss for the first time in 83 years!

Steve Brown 4 years, 7 months ago

Mr. Wooden: Here is a guy that will be rooting for UCLA yet so admires the 'game well played' that if we are able to give our 'best' effort he will smile and appreciate it no matter the team.

It would be enlightening to be in his head during the jayhawks introduction and the rock chalk chant at the end.

Will he recall fondly his summer days in Larry town, the pals he met and our school on the hill. The times of his youth, before he met Nell. His dreams of amber waves of grain, he worked the harvest as well as the stadium construction

oh what dreams may come.

I hope he is healthy and able to attend, it would be our honor to play in front of him.

for you that may not have been around or understand some of our misty eyed reverence for this man, let me share he was a 'class act'.

For about 12-15 years the 2nd best team in america was sitting on his bench. Sort of like a man we know today.

thank you coach, both of you.

FairgroveJayhawk 4 years, 7 months ago

Memhawk- I saw the interview as well. It was a halftime special on ESPN fullcourt during KU's whooping of Alcorn State. It was a pretty cool interview and I was disappointed it ended early. I would have enjoyed watching the whole thing. If you find the link or when it may air again, post away.