Thursday, August 27, 2009

KU football loses two players

Kansas University football players Jose Rodriguez and Chris Heinz are no longer with the program, a university spokesman said Thursday.

Rodriguez, a senior offensive lineman from La Puente, Calif., was arrested in July along with brother Cesar — a former KU football player — following an incident at the Cadillac Ranch, 2515 W 6th St. According to police, the brothers — both doormen at the bar — forcibly removed a patron from the bar. The patron was later taken by ambulance to Lawrence Memorial Hospital.

It was unclear whether the incident had any effect on Rodriguez's status with the team.

Rodriguez, a reserve on the offensive line, was not listed on the team's preseason two-deep depth chart, though he was named KU scout team offensive player of the week on two occasions last season.

Heinz, a linebacker from Littleton, Colo., did not see any action last year as a red-shirt freshman.

Comments

jayhawk02 10 years, 7 months ago

We have all made poor choices. Hopefully, these young men will mature and get their problems straightened out. Glad to see HCMM get rid of problems like that though.

hogspot 10 years, 7 months ago

Wasn't their an article the other day about Chris Heinz and how he should garner credit or such for being a walk-on...and now he isn't even on the team? Great research into your journalism LJW. The article was good but now that this news is out...what was the use of it?

Jaminrawk 10 years, 7 months ago

Maybe Heinz read that article and thought:

"Yep, here it is, the pinnacle of my football career. An article about being the best scout team linebacker on the team. Time to walk out on top..."

Levi Chronister 10 years, 7 months ago

hogspot: The story was written on Monday. The kid left today (or, possibly, yesterday). Are all past stories about Mario Chalmers (now that he's no longer on the team) useless, as well? You can't blame a writer for something someone else decides later.

hogspot 10 years, 7 months ago

That article was probably written back during the summer and published during football season. It is football season, why use basketball references...get your mind right for a great football season! I was just making thoughtful insight into the reasoning for the article...I'm sure he left the team before camp started...why would you want to report to camp and then decide to leave at or during it if you have been through 2 prior camps. It's not something you just decide to quit in the middle of it when you've been through them before.

Ryan Wood 10 years, 7 months ago

You have no facts and are just speculating, hog. You should like a doofus.

Joseph Kuebel 10 years, 7 months ago

Lchronister (Levi Chronister) says...

Dude. Keegan didn't even get the name of the team right on the article attached saying Chris Heinz got scout player of the week for imatating stephen f austins linebacker...we didn't even play stephen f austin... At least do a little research if you are gonna BS an article about some scout team kid that never even saw playing time last year or ever. Can I get a job here? I have no experience but I can certainly do better than this...

Andy Hess 10 years, 7 months ago

big loss. two guys who haven't seen the field yet and most likely wouldn't see the field if they were still on the team.

RockChalkJayBlog 10 years, 7 months ago

If you have a problem with how they write, either stop reading or go to journalism school for four years and get a job for a newspaper.

Stop criticizing the people who work at the LJ-World. No one writes a paragraph about you every time you don't do your crappy job right. It's really pathetic that all you do is sign on to complain about the writers. Get a life... Really.

hogspot 10 years, 7 months ago

LMAO...I'll take my "crappy" job anyday and I'm sure it gets criticized. Journalists defend journalists, amen, you all went through the same school and I'm DAMN sure they had some class in there that stressed researching your subject (but again, I may be wrong). Every job requires research, and you can say I look like a doofus when I question one of the LJW articles, but I know if I don't use proper research in my "crappy" job, there are numerous penalties, etc., that can be brought on. My criticism should be welcome towards journalists, it will generally bring up a point and make them look at things of the nature in the future. I damn sure know when I get my evaluation in January regarding my work performance, it may not be the "nicest" comments or information, but I take that information and make myself a better employee.

I have a life, and the first thing I do when I get to my "crappy" job is log onto KUSports.com to see what new articles relevant to Kansas Athletics appear. It's always nice to have something new, but as Swish said, it's not a big loss. I simply had a posting about research and journalism and how an article was written about a guy no longer on the team (and yes, I stick behind my assumption that this kid never reported to camp...if he did, my bad).

Have a good day.