Sunday, July 19, 2009

Rodriguez brothers arrested

A former Kansas University football starter and his brother, a current KU player, were arrested after an early morning bar fight Saturday.

Cesar Rodriguez, 24, and Jose Rodriguez, 21, were arrested on suspicion of aggravated battery.

A little before 2 a.m. the Lawrence Police Department was called to the Cadillac Ranch, 2515 W 6th St., about a fight.

The Rodriguez brothers, who were doormen at the bar, had forcibly removed a patron from the bar, police said. The patron was later transported by ambulance to Lawrence Memorial Hospital.

Cesar Rodriguez was a four-year starter at offensive tackle for KU from 2004-2007.

Jose Rodriguez, a senior, is a reserve offensive lineman for the Jayhawks.

Comments

waywardJay 5 years, 5 months ago

Arrested for aggravated battery, because they ejected someone from a bar.... Next i suppose they will Arrest people for selling shoes that are tacky.... I sincerely hope there is more to this than we currently know.

Alan Braun 5 years, 5 months ago

Unfortunately this puts us on the scoreboard for the Fulmer cup for the 1st time. Now only Baylor from the B-12 hasn't had at least one football player arrested during the off season in the 4 years or so this "award" has existed.

Kevin Long 5 years, 5 months ago

I agree wayward. They were just doing thier job probably.

number1jayhawker 5 years, 5 months ago

Don't see how they can arrest employees of a private business that were just doing their jobs. If they can arrest a bouncer or whatever that position is called these days, then they should have to arrest the manager/owner also.

David Serven 5 years, 5 months ago

It's obvious there's more to this than reported. Let's wait for "The rest of the story"...

Hawk2010 5 years, 5 months ago

This article is probably a very broad version of what happened, I'm a current student and have seen ridiculous brutality from doormen, I've seen 4 guys hold down one much smaller guy with a knee in his back and his face pressed into the pavement (just like cops would do), I also have many good friends of mine that are doormen and have told me about the kinda stuff that happens when a drunk gets confrontational, everyone assumes they're doing their jobs but trust me, they go well above and beyond their job description

sdoyel 5 years, 5 months ago

One of my best friends just got tossed out of a bar on his 30th birthday. Got arrested too for Public Intoxication in the parking lot.... This was after the bouncer tossed him face first to the pavement. Hmmm, maybe my friend can break even on his fine and press charges on the bouncer?

William James 5 years, 5 months ago

I guess that is our weekly football article

Scott Perlmutter 5 years, 5 months ago

I was at The Ranch one time when a bouncer kicked my buddy and his girl out for being "too drunk to be in the bar". They were just making out in the back and the bouncer threw them out. He pushed them out the door and threw the girl to the ground. They debated calling the cops on the bouncer for assaulting the girl, who did nothing. Then people in line were taunting him to lay off the steroids. The Ranch is known for their over-the-top bouncer behavior. There is a lot more to this story than reported.

ryanm1988 5 years, 5 months ago

I would expect there is a difference between "ejecting someone from a bar" and sending somone to the hospital. It is also likely the Lawrence police spoke with a witness or two before making the decision to arrest both of them.

Scott Wood 5 years, 5 months ago

The Ranch is a joke. The bouncers there think they are the "sh*t". I used to go there, but one night 3 roided up bouncers held down my friend ( about 160lbs) and relentlessly hit him in the face even after he was knocked out. Anyone who gets thrown out should press charges against these clowns.

waywardJay 5 years, 5 months ago

Wow.... People act like this is Iran or something..... Fact of the matter is, People gete drunk...and people who are second hand witnesses in a bar setting.... While less drunk are still impaired..... For the most part, I have never seen a bouncer act " Beyond the call of what should be done".... I've seen drunks thrown out on their face, I have seen drunks throw drinks at bouncers, curse them... Swing at them.... and i have never ( and I worked in a bar... in a significantly rougher place than Kansas ) REPEAT NEVER seen the bouncer do anything more than toss them out of the bar.... and Laugh .....

Now, I have seen OUTSIDE OF THE BAR, bouncers restraint people who are getting violent and no matter the size... A drunk person can be hard to contain... "roid heads are "roid heads, but a 160 pound person with adrenline and not feeling any pain is tougher to handle than a 300 pound person calm and quiet....... Don't judge by the size of the guy alone...

I would hope there is more to the story.... i would hope they are not getting arrested for doing there job....

Joseph Kuebel 5 years, 5 months ago

rasta_meta 5 years, 5 months ago

I worked as a bouncer and bartender in Lawrence for several years, including when the ranch first opened. I got into several altercations with drunks, I even had a gun pulled on me, but I never once threw a punch. I did rough up a guy pretty good, but that was after he was kicking another person in head that was on the ground engaged with another person. Basically, if you are good bouncer you should not need to throw a punch 99.9% of the time. Instead, you will subdue them by putting them into locks (much like MMA) and use their aggression against them. This might mean putting a knee in their back to keep them on the ground until the police can arrive and take over, but you shouldn't be hitting them while in that position.

Several other football players that I worked with would try to get in fights as bouncers though. As the lead bouncer, I found myself trying to contain them and do damage control more often than I should have.

Having said all of this, unless they were protecting themselves from someone who kept coming back for more, there is no reason for these guys to use the force it appears they used.

TaCityHawkFan 5 years, 5 months ago

A bouncer is held to the same standard under law just as any other citizen is (with the exception of sports stars, actors and politicians). If they "forcibly" removed a patron from the bar, they will need to show that the person intended them harm (and that the threat was real since they are enormous lineman). Otherwise, they could easily be found guilty if their actions were not warranted.

Hopefully, we are not hearing the whole story as to why such force was needed in the situation.

John Randall 5 years, 5 months ago

Not being a witness or acquainted with any of the participants, my conjectures on the incident would be mightily presumptuous, wouldn't you say?

Casting aside rationality, let me say I have a cousin who know the uncle of some one who was once . . .

Rick Arnoldy 5 years, 5 months ago

I wasn't there but if you aren't doing enough to become part of the problem then you don't get in trouble. Plain and simple. Bouncers don't randomly pick out people to whoop up on. If you're behaving yourself, you don't end up in these situations.

Lance Hobson 5 years, 5 months ago

I had a friend who's brother was a bouncer, he was pretty roided up. He'd beat on people with his giant flashlight. The truth is, these guys think they're cops but they have absolutely no training. I remember a friend of mine getting malt liquored and taunting a bouncer, so naturally the bouncer lost his cool and tried to attack him before being held back by another bouncer. Then he got a lecture about how he can't let drunk people get to him or he's going to get himself arrested.

Rivethead 5 years, 5 months ago

I agree with fabio - this is our football story for the week. Sigh.

And it gathered more comments than a "normal" football article. What's wrong with that picture? Sigh.

Christopher Hauser 5 years, 5 months ago

The problem could be that they possibly did some more extra circular on the sidewalk or off of bar grounds making it public property. Get them out any way possible if you have too, but once they leave the door or the property of the bar do not touch them. That is what I was told in college, I do not know if it is how the law actually works but I do know that I stopped more altercations with my words than physically, much easier with your words if you have the gift of gab. Some people are just too drunk to reason with sometimes though.

Christopher Hauser 5 years, 5 months ago

The real issue with the Ranch may not be the bouncer's but rather management not setting appropriate boundaries for them to follow. I do remember when I was a bouncer, there were many bouncers at other bars who only did the job to get into fights. I was not one who wanted the fights but rather the free beer we got to drink when we were working.

Jim Williamson 5 years, 5 months ago

I got thrown out of a bar in New York City. Now when I say "I got thrown out of a bar," I don't mean someone asked me to leave, and we walked to the door together, and I said, "Bye, everybody, I gotta go." Six bouncers hurled my @ss out of a nightclub like I was a Frisbee...

yed 5 years, 5 months ago

Phogfan86 - you can take down those roadblocks, you caught the Tater.

Really, guys, would this have happened if they had a 'cooler' running things over there? I think not. He'd be a pacifist/philosophizer who likes to read books and carries his medical records with him so that you can see how many times he's been stabbed. I really wish that this story could have come out of the "Road House" on E. 23rd Street. That would have made my day. Oh well, my unrelated movie reference will have to stand as "unrelated". No offense to bouncers and coolers, many of my friends have worked in that profession.

atowndizzle 5 years, 5 months ago

i know the guy that was sent to the hospital. The bouncer kinda pushed him into a trash can so the kid "being drunk took a swing at him. But the bouncer took it way over board and took him outside and started bashing his face on the cement. the kid is all of 5 and a half feet. i'm sure a back up ku linemen could have done a lot more to detain him. and i've heard he's been charged for excessive force before.

jayhawkintx73 5 years, 5 months ago

Some drunk idiot took a swing at an offensive linemen and didn't expect to lose? The drunk idiot should be charged for public drunkenness. If a bouncer can't do their jobs, then why have them?

AirForce12 5 years, 5 months ago

Jayhawkintx73, if you had any clue how bad this is you would disagree, here is my post from the other article to show you the "damage"

I do in fact know he was beat up excessively as he received -Broken Nose -Ruptured Eye Socket -Fractured Cheek bone -Many Stitches Luckily he is still alive, and he still may lose an eye at this point.

These chump bouncers took the opportunity to beat an inebriated patron senseless to fit their ego's. There is no reason this should be done to a “drunk” customer. He is 5'6” and could have easily been walked out the door… even tossed out the door, but instead they chose to violently attack him. He never took a punch at any of the bouncers, nor did he have the opportunity. Many people have photo's of the incident and many witnesses saying that the beaten man didn't do anything to deserve this.

These idiots clearly have no integrity or self control and I hope they are sued and spend more than a night in the slammer. If you all think beating someone who is a patron at a bar deserves to be beaten within a few inches of their life and may permanently lose an eye, you are crazy to think this. Bouncers sign up for dealing with intoxicated people and should take the responsibility seriously and not as an opportunity to bash skulls. Screw the Rodriguez brothers and those involved... karma will get them for sure. There is always someone bigger and badder out there and I hope they get what's coming to them

Meghan Sullivan 5 years, 5 months ago

I've seen how the bouncers treat people at the Ranch in Lawrence. Any opportunity they have to kick someone out and be physical doing it... they take it and run with the "power" they have. It's about time someone was arrested for abusing this power.

Joseph Kuebel 5 years, 4 months ago

Screw the Rodriguez brothers and those involved... karma will get them for sure. There is always someone bigger and badder out there and I hope they get what's coming to them...

Couldn't agree more. Those two are TRASH.