Friday, November 3, 2006

A Dynamite debut

Arthur paces KU to rout

Darrell Arthur sure didn't look like a typical freshman making his major-college debut Thursday night.

In fact, Kansas University junior Russell Robinson had to rub his eyes a couple of times just to make sure somebody else - somebody mighty famous - hadn't invaded the 6-foot-9, 230-pounder's double-zero jersey.

"At times he reminded me of Wayne," Robinson said, comparing Arthur's 21-point, six-rebound, six-steal performance to that of former KU All-American Wayne Simien, now a second-year player with the Miami Heat.

"The way he shoots it : such a quick release. He was so aggressive."

Arthur turned in a Simien-esque performance while playing just 22 minutes in the Jayhawks' 99-69 exhibition-opening victory over Washburn at Allen Fieldhouse.

He hit seven of 13 shots, including one of two threes, and also swished six of nine free throws.

If the game had been a regular-season contest, Arthur would have tied the freshman debut scoring record of Norm Cook (21 points against Murray State on Dec. 1, 1973).

Not bad for a guy playing with his shooting hand wrapped, protecting a cut that earlier in the week required five stitches to close.

Not bad for a guy with some other maladies, too.

"I was tired most of the time. We have to work on some things. Conditioning is one of them," Arthur said. "I had butterflies before the game. I still had butterflies all through the game. The guys worked me through it. I was asking a lot of questions the whole game."

Arthur thought he shook his case of the nerves before the pre-game meal.

A batch of his loved ones made the trip from Dallas and pulled into the Jayhawker Towers parking lot well before tipoff. It was time to calm him down.

"My mom, grandmother, brother, best friend, auntie, uncle and cousin (were here)," Arthur reported. "I'd not seen my grandmother since I came to school. I was really happy to see her."

He was fine : until he came out of the northwest tunnel for warmups.

"I had a little bit of butterflies about the fans," Arthur said. "I talked to my family a lot, and it helped, but as soon as I got in here, I was nervous."

Yet he played well - so well a reporter asked him if that was real 'Slim Shady,' Arthur's nickname.

Audio clips

2006-07 Nov. 2 KU-Wash Hoops

"I don't know. People don't really call me Slim Shady any more," Arthur said. "They call me by my real name. They don't really know me by that name here."

KU coach Bill Self, whose team used an early 24-4 run to open an 28-10 lead and never really looked back, was pleased with Arthur and fellow freshman Sherron Collins, who had eight points, five assists and one turnover.

"I thought they both did some good things. Neither are very good at playing defense yet," Self said. "Offensively they're pretty good. He (Arthur) has a knack for getting the ball in the hole. Shady is still scared to play a little bit with his hands, I mean go after balls. He's a better rebounder and shot-blocker than he showed tonight."

He had two blocks and six rebounds.

"He's a little nervous about his hands since he still has the stitches in one. But, good gosh, he scores 21 points in 22 minutes. He's a natural in a lot of ways," Self said. "Sherron was average in the first half. In the second half, I told him he needs to be more aggressive, and he is, he can get his shot off.

"He (Arthur) and Sherron are not bashful. We will not have to tell them to shoot the ball. They'll be clipping 'em at a good rate."

Darnell Jackson exploded for 18 points and 10 boards in 25 minutes. Had it been an actual game, it would have been career high scoring, rebounding, field goals (8) and field-goal attempts (12) for the junior center. It would have marked his second career double-double.

"I love how aggressive he was," Self said of Jackson, enthused to play with his mother in the stands. "I said all along he's a good shooter. Defensively we get buried. He's got to do better. From a production standpoint, it's his best game."

Julian Wright contributed 15 points off 5-of-8 shooting with nine rebounds, while Mario Chalmers had 12 points and Brandon Rush 10 points, six boards and five assists. Rodrick Stewart had five points in 12 minutes.

The Jayhawks will meet Emporia State at 7 p.m. Tuesday at Allen Fieldhouse.

Comments

filmhawk 13 years, 2 months ago

oh damn. this season is going to be too much fun.

lee3022 13 years, 2 months ago

I watched Gale Sayers as a student. He was amazing and Nebraska still beat us. We are more than a basketball school - much more. In the 60's we had a premier track program with Jim Ryun here and were in the hunt for a national title. We are an academic school that believes in giving kids a chance and flunking them out if they don't work hard. I came from Oregon to KU, not for the basketball but for the academics. It has served me well.

I support football, baseball .... all other sports and like most here, I am an avid basketball fan. It is the sport we do best.

craigers 13 years, 2 months ago

That game was pretty sweet to watch and I can't wait to see what we will do with an even bigger guy down in the paint. Get well Kaun. This will be a fun season once the freshmen hit their groove and can have a little showtime fun on the breakaways.

GIHAWK 13 years, 2 months ago

I could care less...Football isn't over yet

apeoples410 13 years, 2 months ago

Hey GIHAWK,

Why are you reading and commenting on a message board for basketball when you couldn't care less?

KU is a basketball school. Always has been. Always will be.

Basketball season is always in season.

GIHAWK 13 years, 2 months ago

Screw you guys....two words: Bradley and Bucknell. And at least Mangino wins in the postseason....

Larry Smith 13 years, 2 months ago

Actually Shelby it was Arthur that had the six steals. Coach said that Darnell needs to step up on defense. If he is going to be playing the majority of the minutes in the post, he is going to be counted on for solid D.

Bobo Fleming 13 years, 2 months ago

I still have the same question I had last year. Who is the leader on this team? Its not Rush, Robinson, or Chalmers. Who is the leader? I think one of the reasons we have had problems in post season is because no one has stepped up to that role. Who is the leader? If you remember Wayne's Jr and Sr year there was no question on that. He was the leader and got after players who were not doing 100%. Who is the leader this year?

Shelby 13 years, 2 months ago

Wait, guy has 6 steals in 22 minutes and Self says he can't play defense?

And GIHawk, football IS over. You just need to come to grips with that.

actorman 13 years, 2 months ago

I don't know what people are drinking tonight, but there sure are a lot of bizarre comments, to wit:

Senegal, you contradict yourself within the same paragraph. You say KU hasn't had postseason success because they've lacked a leader. Then you refer to Wayne being the clear leader his junior and senior seasons. However, you ignore one minor detail: they lost in the first round his senior season!

GIHawk, I don't even know where to begin with you. You're obviously making comments just to get a rise out of people, because even a 5-year-old could say more intelligent things than you've been saying. But I can't let your comment about Mangino not blowing games go by without saying something. Whether or not KU has been favored is irrelevant; when a coach does not know how to call a timeout in an obvious situation, when he goes for 2 with a 30-5 lead (remember Texas Tech) for no logical reason whatsoever, when he consistently coaches not to lose rather than to win, and when his teams choke away one close game after another, I would say that qualifies as "blowing" games.

Finally, guys, saying that a school is a basketball school does NOT mean that they've never won a single game in another sport at any time in their history. All it means is that basketball is king, it is what KU is best at and always has been. Yes, there have been some great KU football players and a few (very few) great teams. But the fact remains that KU has NEVER made consecutive bowl games--even when half the teams in the country can make a bowl. And KU has been to TWO, count 'em TWO, MAJOR bowl games. Simply spouting a bunch of names of great players proves nothing. To even REMOTELY refer to KU as a football school shows a level of stupidity that would make our "president" proud.

frompekka2sasha 13 years, 2 months ago

senegal66025- Without a doubt the leader is Robinson. He doesn't seem like your typical leader but it's been stated by several people quite often that he plays that role.

Shelby 13 years, 2 months ago

sorry senegal, that was a snarky comment of mine. a good question.

princess 13 years, 2 months ago

I concur. It has been stated many times by the players that Robinson is the leader. And why not? He took a crappy freshman year and turned it around. He has drive and hunger. They need that.

justdoit23 13 years, 2 months ago

Chill out apeoples!!

GIHAWK is right!!! If KU needs more revenue that would come out of Football games and we really need to support more football.

And i'm sure he knows KU is a basketball school.

Hey atleast he cares about the football and basketball. The way i look at it he is bigger fan than you are!

haha just a healthy comment..no hard feelings

apeoples410 13 years, 2 months ago

How do you figure that GIHAWK cares about basketball and is a better fan than me? He states that he couldn't care less about basketball and he's bringing up Bucknell and Bradley and rubbing everyone's nose in it. I don't know what you are reading. He's obviously some fan.

I was not bagging on football as he was doing on basketball. I was simply defending basketball.

I would love to see KU football become a prominent force in Big 12 and national football.

justdoit23 13 years, 2 months ago

Okay i take what i said back b'cas when i punched my message in i didn't know that he already had said about Bradley and Bucknell!!!

Is he another ideot from mizzou!!!!??

megt_33 13 years, 2 months ago

Now the football team and basketball team are in competion? .....the football team doesn't need that kind of pressure, they got enough to deal with. I hope they play well these last three games and make it to a bowl, but I also hope the basketball team brings home the national championship. It's ok to support both teams, I know I will be watching it all. Rock Chalk Jayhawks!!!

Kyle Crenshaw 13 years, 2 months ago

djkc28, basketball is a game of runs. ku didnt give up any runs like that. how can u not be impressed? its only the 1st game of the season, and im lookin forward to the rest!

hawker00 13 years, 2 months ago

Mangino has won 1 bowl game... not exactly something to be impressed about. Yes, Self has not faired to well the last 2 seasons, but lets not start praising Mangino just yet for winning one bowl game!

GIHAWK 13 years, 2 months ago

"Faired too well"? Thats being generous. How about "Blown" or "choked"! Mangino very seldom blows a game he is favored in. I can't say the same thing for Self.

coloskihawk 13 years, 2 months ago

kansas isnt a football school????? Gayle Sayers, Nolan Cromwell, Bobby Douglas, John Hadl, John Riggins, Dana Stubbelfield, John Jones, Wille Pless, June Henley.... Just to name a few. It takes a real fan to know you should be supporting all of KU athletics. Wake up people

GIHAWK 13 years, 2 months ago

Great job...just make personal attacks to everyone

Leprechaunking13 13 years, 2 months ago

all those people u just named for football were here in the 50's the last time KU had a real winning tradition at kansas before nebraska beat us 34 times in a row, football is coming around slowly and eventually will be at the caliber of the rest of the big 12 but KU always has been and always will be a basketball school. DJ how the hell did washburn outscore us I'm pretty sure we won by 30 that usually indicates that we outscored them dumba**

78jayhawkdan 13 years, 2 months ago

did all these football people realize they clicked on mens bball or what...take the football to the other message board..i agree with anyone who said ku is a basketball school...the basketball season is here and mangiganto is old news with his "nbc" bowl...nobody cares!

...and about Darrell Author...21pts in 22 min...two words...glaring statistic!

Rodney Stice 13 years, 2 months ago

There was a time in the 89's that the football team went 10-2 and blew out UCLA in the hula bowl. UCLA was projected to win. That same year the mens basketball team made it to the final four. The Baseball team also made it to the College world Series.

This had never been done before, of since. KU can put together grat teams that we have the honor of watching and cheering for.

Rock Chalk, Jayhawk!

Rodney Stice 13 years, 2 months ago

Sorry that was supposed to be the 90's, not the 89's

Kyle Crenshaw 13 years, 2 months ago

i agree that a real ku fan supports both football and basketball but when basketball season comes around, everyone knows football takes a back seat to basketball. that is what gets ku the most recognition in and what we can actually "consistently" win in.

GIHAWK 13 years, 2 months ago

To keep things in perspective, a basketball program only needs a few players. While a football program needs 50 or 60. My point is that it takes much more time to build a football program. So please don't bash the football program by saying this is a basketball school.

justdoit23 13 years, 2 months ago

i got four words: You are an Idiot GIHAWK. Opps make that five!

You already commented on Bradley and Bucknell! Why didn't you think winning over Washburn is not a big deal? When Bradley and Bucknell meant a lot to you in early comments!!

Go take a shower or something b'cas your comments stinks!