Originally published March 31, 2016 at 01:40p.m., updated March 31, 2016 at 11:32p.m.

Bill Self named AP Coach of the Year

Kansas coach Bill Self answers a question near his Associated Press Coach of the Year trophy at a news conference at the NCAA Final Four college basketball tournament Thursday, March 31, 2016, in Houston. (AP Photo/David J. Phillip)

— Bill Self, who this past season directed Kansas University to its 12th-straight Big 12 championship, the league postseason tourney title for the seventh time (in 13 tries) and a spot in the NCAA Tournament Elite Eight, on Thursday was named Associated Press national coach of the year.

Self, who also won the award in 2009, became the eighth coach to win the trophy more than once. UCLA’s John Wooden won it five times and Indiana’s Bob Knight three times. Others to win two: Roy Williams, Ralph Miller, Guy Lewis, Eddie Sutton and Ray Meyer.

“I would much rather be here with my team playing,” Self said at the AP’s awards ceremony in Houston, site of the Final Four. “This is great and there are dozens of people worthy of this award. But to be in that group (of multiple winners) is something I’ll always respect and treasure.”

It appears to be just a matter of time before Self lands a spot in the Naismith Memorial Hall of Fame. A league title next year would tie UCLA’s record for consecutive conference titles. He has one national title and one national runner-up finish at the age of 53.

“It was a great season. I don’t think you can call it a special season unless you get here (Houston),” said Self, who received 21 votes from an AP panel. Chris Mack of Xavier and Dana Altman of Oregon had 15 and 13 votes respectively. “Looking back, I don’t think I could ever have a team sacrifice more or be more unselfish. It will always be one of my most special groups I’ve had.”

Of his 33-5 squad, which was ranked No. 1 in the country five weeks, he said: “Coaches probably know better than anybody what team’s ceilings are. These kids played pretty close to it the last couple months. Nobody could say these kids didn’t have a great year. They battled hard and almost always rose to the occasion when they needed to.”

Self’s players can see why he’s now won 2015-16 coach of year awards from the AP, the NABC, USA Today and Bleacher Report.

“He’s awesome,” said forward Landen Lucas. “He’s somebody who has been through it all. We can all rely on him, his understanding how to handle difficult situations. We committed to the things he said and got it done. He always is pushing for more. It’s about buying in and committing to what he’s talking about.”

“He helped me out so much the four years I’ve been here,” said forward Perry Ellis. “I’ve grown so much, learned how to be successful on and off the court.”

Asked why he’s so popular, junior Wayne Selden Jr., said: “Because he wins. I think everybody loves a winner. He’s a charismatic guy and he wins.”

Kansas forward Cheick Diallo (13) gets up to reject a shot during the second half, Thursday, March 17, 2016 at Wells Fargo Arena in Des Moines, Iowa. by Nick Krug

Quiet day on NBA front: After Cheick Diallo, Selden and Brannen Greene declared for the draft in successive days ... all was quiet on Thursday.

“There’s nothing official (to report) at all,” KU coach Self said, asked by the Journal-World of the status of Svi Mykhailiuk and Carlton Bragg. He indicated they are still evaluating their futures with family members and/or mentors. A source close to Bragg told the J-W on Thursday “as of right now no news. If something comes up I will let you know.”

Selden and Greene said they soon will hire agents. Diallo left open the possibility that he could return by saying he had no immediate plans to sign with an agent. Self has told the J-W he expects Diallo, who has a high upside (which is valued by the NBA on Draft Day), to remain in the draft.

Incentives: Self receives $100,000 for winning AP coach of the year as part of his KU contract. He nets $50,000 for winning the regular-season Big 12 title and $25,000 for the Big 12 tourney title.

Jackson update: Josh Jackson, co-MVP of Wednesday’s McDonald’s Game and the country’s No. 1 recruit, reiterated on Wednesday he has decided on a college. The Detroit native’s finalists were KU, Michigan State and Arizona. He is expected to announce sometime after playing in the Nike Hoop Summit on April 9 in Portland, Ore.

“I’m really waiting for an opportunity where I can be home, be around my family and close friends,” he said of his announcement date. “I really want to (announce) around the people who have been supporting me the whole way through.”

He added: “There was definitely a point in time where I was so confused about where to go to school. I was just thinking about it and it was tearing me apart, it was really stressing me out. I feel relieved and I finally know in my heart which school I want to go to.”

Comments

Jay Scott 6 years, 6 months ago

If you know a Chicken Little personally, make sure they're OK.

Dan Mangan 6 years, 6 months ago

Fire Bill Self! Until he can prove himself by winning every game by more than 100 points and start walking on water he should be considered a second class coach.

Nice work HCBS! This was a great year to be a Jayhawk fan. Can't remember a year when I've seen our players compete harder.

Brett McCabe 6 years, 6 months ago

How about 2008, 2012, 1988, 1986 or others? Those guys competed pretty hard.

Jay Scott 6 years, 6 months ago

When anyone makes fun of the Chicken Littles, even without calling them by name, you're powerless to resist responding. Are you under some type of hypnosis? You might want to get help with that...

Brett McCabe 6 years, 6 months ago

So, you are saying that you think Heidi Klum is a 9?

Marius Rowlanski 6 years, 6 months ago

That would be delusional, she is clearly a 9.5.

Keith Conklin 6 years, 6 months ago

lol this guy^ JS its ok I understand you are constantly butt hurt all the time I think a majority of people are over it cant do anything about it. The difference between KU fans and most fans of other teams is KU fans get over it quickly and know We will have a greater chance of being there next year than most other schools. I think Ive seen you on here before hoping to get a rise out someone to benefit your own pleasure I understand the bitterness is strong and if I had to bathe in it year in and year out Id might lash out too. Its sad that you feel the need to do so just to make you feel a tiny bit better.

Jay Scott 6 years, 6 months ago

Copied ID and avatar. Loser troll. Flagged for removal.

Jay Scott 6 years, 6 months ago

Copied ID and avatar. Flagged for removal. Loser troll.

Brett McCabe 6 years, 6 months ago

This was both brilliant and hilarious. Tip of the Cap. Wave of the Wheat.

Jay Scott 6 years, 6 months ago

Funny how the fake Jay troll appears at the same time you return from your little tantrum/exile a month or two ago, and you're right there to applaud...and you have your shiny Obama logo while the fake troll makes oddly placed non sequitur Trump rants...did you ever get that counselling Brett?

And again...I'm sincerely sorry for continually pointing out how truly stupid your ideas were...your self esteem must have been crushed .I promise to point out such things more gently....and I really hope your attempts to insult people are more satisfying this time.

Jay Scott 6 years, 6 months ago

Did you forget to sign out as fake troll and sign back in as Brett?

Brett McCabe 6 years, 6 months ago

I don't know Jack....I thought you weren't doing personal insults anymore. Or was that 5 minutes ago. EMAW! You stupid pile of purple...

Jay Scott 6 years, 6 months ago

Thanks! It brings extra attention to every comment I make! ;)

And people are smart enough to click and see which is the mentally defective troll and which isn't. You must have felt the first real attention of your life when people thought you were me...

Jay Scott 6 years, 6 months ago

Save the thoughts about what gets you off for your therapist.

Jay Scott 6 years, 6 months ago

Copied ID and avatar. Loser troll.. Flagged for removal.

Tony Bandle 6 years, 6 months ago

In 1966 my ACT Score was 32 with an SAT of 1170 which ended up a five year full ride architectural degree, which doesn't mean squat on this site.

Marius Rowlanski 6 years, 6 months ago

I'm still impressed. I had similar scores, a little higher on the ACT but a little lower on the SAT.

Working at the Topeka State Mental Hospital convinced me that working with clients who would take a leak and crap in their pants wasn't something I could see myself doing for any lengthy time.

Jay Scott 6 years, 6 months ago

If you have a reading comprehension tool more common for older people that you prefer, that would be great. Any suggestions?

Jay Scott 6 years, 6 months ago

Always happy to help you see that you have no point.

Barry Weiss 6 years, 6 months ago

Awesome!!! Great job Coach Self! Best ever!

Scott Smetana 6 years, 6 months ago

They should vote after the Regionals. Buddy >>>> Valentine.

Joe Ross 6 years, 6 months ago

Agree that Buddy > Valentine, but that should have been understood by the pundits even before the tournament started.

Keith Conklin 6 years, 6 months ago

Did the article say anything about either of those players? but I agree Buddy over Valentine.

Karen Mansfield-Stewart 6 years, 6 months ago

Congratulations Coach Self. What a great honor.

Danny Hernandez 6 years, 6 months ago

Congratulations Coach Self & his coaching staff and players! A very special season! Here's to next year folks!

Harlan Hobbs 6 years, 6 months ago

The article said that Valentine was selected as the AP National Player of the Year. However, I agree that Buddy Hield should have gotten it even if the voting came before the NCAA Tournament.

Super thrilled for Coach Self. He deserves every accolade he receives, as do his staff and players. Also, a big shout out to the fans and students who have always impressed the recruits. Hopefully, that will lead to a positive result in the recruitment of Josh Jackson. He certainly mentioned it in his recent interviews.

Michael Leiker 6 years, 6 months ago

Wow, exactly right. Valentine player of the year tells you nobody is watching big XII basketball

Marius Rowlanski 6 years, 6 months ago

Jared, real question. How do you see this helping our recruiting? I think we have more scholarships left then players in the top 150.

Jay Scott 6 years, 6 months ago

I see Self grabbing a stud like Jackson, a transfer and a grad transfer. You're right. There aren't many hidden gems out there in the 2016 class...

Michael Leiker 6 years, 6 months ago

What a season, what a great job developing players this year. The things Devonte and Lucas accomplished this year were completely unpredictable and long shots to say the least.

Jay Scott 6 years, 6 months ago

A little something for the ID and Avatar copying troll fake jay....

Sometimes I dream

That he is me

You've got to see that's how I dream to be

I dream I move, I dream I groove

Like Jay

If I could Be Like Jay

Like Jay

Oh, if I could Be Like Jay

Be Like Jay, Be Like Jay

Again I try

Just need to fly

For just one day if I could

Be that way

I dream I move

I dream I groove

Like Jay

If I could Be Like Jay

I wanna be, I wanna be

Like Jay

Oh, if I could Be Like Jay

Marius Rowlanski 6 years, 6 months ago

To the fake Jay, if we all decided to steal the name from someone we had issues with then we might as well find another site. The ridiculousness would not be worth the time to send a post. Would the fake Jay please stand up, take a few bows if he thinks he is entitled to and then just fade away.

It is no longer funny and has become tedious. I believe there are other posters who would agree.

Adios Amigo

Gavin Fritton 6 years, 6 months ago

But he isn't Big XII Coach of the Year.

Right.

Got it.

Tony Bandle 6 years, 6 months ago

Coach K isn't a multiple winner? That's odd.

Billy Derringer 6 years, 6 months ago

Love how people ruin the comment section plz jay or who ever you are this week plz just STFU.

Jay Scott 6 years, 6 months ago

Some sad trolls are so traumatized by having their ideas debunked and unable to have big kid discussions that they thought it would be witty to create a copied Jay Scott ID.

Jay Scott 6 years, 6 months ago

That's the beauty of freedom. You're free to render such an opinion. I support that right in the fullest. People are free to consider the merit of such an opinion based on the strength and substance of your previous ideas.

Thanks for exercising your freedom!

Casey Olson 6 years, 6 months ago

I have to give it to you on the confidence. You are one of only a handful of people on this earth who truly knows everything. You only show up on here to pick fights. To say you respect anyone's opinion is a joke. I will save you some time with your reply because you post the same sarcastic, yet not even close to being clever reply. "If you don't want your moronic ideas to be destroyed by the genius that is "The Jay Scott", don't post on a public discussion." You have 5 generic comments and are in an argument on nearly every single article on this site. Do you honestly feel better about yourself when you do this.

Jay Scott 6 years, 6 months ago

Your only point was to call people "douc#/s" No logic or generic comment is needed to reveal the idiocy of that.

Casey Olson 6 years, 6 months ago

My point was to call you a dou%!e......because you are. Huge do#!he bag. If you are saying it's idiotic to call you a douche, i would understand Jay thinking that way because usually douche bags don't believe they're douche bags. Kind of one of the defining characteristics

Marius Rowlanski 6 years, 6 months ago

I have to disagree Casey. When Jay decides to argue some of the finer issues in one's post, his knowledge of basketball is clearly evident.

If you really dislike Jay – ignore his posts. It doesn't take a brain surgeon to figure out how to do it.

Casey Olson 6 years, 6 months ago

It's his replies to peoples comments that are annoying. Basically the only thing he does is a childish response to anyone with a different view point and it is almost never initiated by someone challenging one of his initial posts. I am not offended or I would just not read them. I just think he is a prick and it makes the discussions feel like it's not a KU board but a Missouri-KU board. More power to the group of eight or ten of you guys on here who slap each other on the back for dumbass comments

Jay Scott 6 years, 6 months ago

Not all of us possess the intellectual depth to call people a "douc#/"....

Casey Olson 6 years, 6 months ago

Not all of us possess the specialized qualities of a douche bag. I guess we both are special in our own ways

Jay Scott 6 years, 6 months ago

No denying that you have special talents in the area of calling people "douc#/s"... Never before have I seen anyone more skilled in this art.. I'm sure you'll be turning pro in this field as soon as you're eligible...

Barry Weiss 6 years, 6 months ago

Will the real Jay Scott please stand up, please stand up.

Jay Scott 6 years, 6 months ago

I assume that your question is rhetorical. Anyone who really wonders need only to click on the user ID. One is a few weeks old, the other, several years.

Barry Weiss 6 years, 6 months ago

I did figure that out. And I will say, I was actually a bit bummed when I saw that post the other day on one of the articles about …turning a new leaf, being a good poster, blah, blah, blah. I got no problem with your pithy comments about the CL's. I don't want an echo chamber in here, good debate is fine, and I like dry humor thrown in. Hey, I was starting to become a CL on the whole Landon Lucas deal, but ate my humble pie very quickly. Keep on keeping on Jay!

Marius Rowlanski 6 years, 6 months ago

LOL...I forgot you could see when a poster/commentator first began posting. Maybe my ACT test score was lower than I remembered.

John Kelley 6 years, 6 months ago

Coach of the year for reaching the elite eight --- impressive

Lynn Anderson 6 years, 6 months ago

I recognize the ignorance that you intend as sarcasm. Let's see what other great coaches were NOT in the elite 8. Coach K...nope. Oh, I know, the great Coach Cal! What?!? Not him either? Ok, I got this...Tom Izzo...aka Mr. March, he made the elite 8 for sure this year! He always does! I mean only the best coaches and the best team wins the NCAA on a consistent basis...why should KU settle for a guy who in 13 years has only brought 1 national title (I bet Coach Cal with all his talents and coaching ability has more than one title, right?). I mean in 13 years in the NCAAs (because that is all that matters, the last 6 games), all Bill Self has done is bring us 1 title. 1 runner up. 4 elite 8s and 2 sweet 16s. The BUM! Sure he makes the NCAA tourney every year...but he only reaches the elite 8 46% of the time while at KU. BUM! I mean in his 13 years at Kansas, he should have 3 or 4 National Titles in that time just like that great coach __! You can't fill in that blank can you? Kinda sad you expect such unrealistic goals. It keeps you from enjoying one of the best teams, year in and year out, coached by a much decorated future HOF coach. Not sure what team/coach would make you happy...unrealistic goals bud.

Corey Sparks 6 years, 6 months ago

Man this hurts watching. We should be here

Kenneth Johnson 6 years, 6 months ago

No question but that Self is one of the best, if not the very best in his profession.

Now to the other end of the pole. Jim Boeheim.

Not only shouldn’t the Orange have been in the tournament based on their dismal season record, but they should not have been even allowed to play, because of the severity of the charges against the team.

But, according to head coach Boehiem, the violations weren’t really cheating. While they stemmed from academic fraud, multiple failed drug tests, and funds going to players, they weren’t intentional, so were clearly not “cheating”. What a turd!

His only punishment to date, is that he got suspended for 9 games (easy early-season part of the schedule), not to mention that, interestingly, the NCAA took away 106 wins from his all-time record. Now the school is awaiting additional NCAA sanctions, perhaps of historic proportions.

So, am I the only one who took pleasure in seeing Syracuse getting dumped on by North Carolina tonite? Or, are you too, secretly perhaps, grinning that old Jim Boehiem is finally getting his?

Kenn Johnson (KU '70 MS) Author of Kansas University Basketball Legends (2013) and More University of Kansas Basketball Legends (2014)). The History Press.