Monday, February 15, 2016

Big week vaults Jayhawks to No. 2 in latest AP Top 25

Kansas forward Landen Lucas (33) gets up to defend against a shot from West Virginia guard Tarik Phillip (12) during the first half, Tuesday, Jan. 9, 2016 at Allen Fieldhouse.

The Kansas basketball team went 2-0 in its most challenging week of the season so far, and the Associated Press moved the Jayhawks from No. 6 to No. 2 in the latest AP Top 25.

While Oklahoma stayed at No. 3 in the poll after a 76-72 home loss to KU, Bill Self’s Jayhawks, who also defeated West Virginia last week, jumped the Sooners and No. 4 Iowa.

The former No. 2 team, Maryland, switched spots with Kansas after losing to Wisconsin.

Former No. 5 Xavier dropped to No. 8 after losing at Creighton.

Villanova narrowly retained its No. 1 ranking after winning at DePaul and beating St. John’s. Villanova received the most No. 1 votes (44), and Kansas received the rest (21). Villanova had 1,601 points in the poll to KU’s 1,578.

The Big 12 kept a strong standing in the latest rankings, with the Jayhawks and Sooners in the top five, and No. 10 West Virginia, No. 13 Iowa State, No. 24 Texas and No. 25 Baylor joining them among the top 25.

AP TOP 25 — Feb. 15, 2016

No. 21 — SMU, 21-3

No. 22 — Indiana, 20-6

No. 23 — Providence, 19-7

No. 24 — Texas, 16-9

No. 25 — Baylor, 18-7

None by AP Top 25

Comments

John Fitzgerald 6 years, 3 months ago

I'm not even mad at anyone that says we should fire Self. I just feel bad for them. You can't fix stupid, and I'm afraid these individuals are permanently screwed. Oh well, Rock Chalk!

Bryce Landon 6 years, 3 months ago

It was a lot easier for me to say "Fire Bill Self" when Kansas was blowing leads against Michigan State and Iowa State or when they were getting outclassed by West Virginia or by a sub-.500 Oklahoma State team. It was also easy for me to say it when Kansas got clowned by "Little Brother" in the 2015 NCAA Tournament. But if these Jayhawks fail to make it to the Sweet 16 for a third straight season, I'll go back to saying it.

Michael Lorraine 6 years, 3 months ago

Not going to argue with you Bryce, it's like pissing in the wind. You go on hoping because I know there is no way they will get rid of him, short of a scandal knock on wood.

Bryce Landon 6 years, 3 months ago

Hoping for what? For KU to lose? For KU to not make a deep run in the NCAA Tournament? No, I want those things for Kansas, and I want Self to do what he did this past week and prove me wrong about him and his system. But if he can't get us to the Sweet 16 anymore - and the Sweet 16 should be the bare minimum for any Kansas team - then maybe it's time for a change. I hope Self can get his act back together and get Kansas to the Sweet 16 and possibly even a Final Four. I'm just discouraged by the underachievement from the past two seasons that included 19 losses, back-to-back oustings from the Big 12 Tournament by Iowa State, and back-to-back Round of 32 losses in the NCAA's.

Kyle Sybesma 6 years, 3 months ago

Bryce - What is your standard for a new coach? What would you be looking for that Self doesn't have?

RJ King 6 years, 3 months ago

Bryce has been championing Gregg Marshall for quite some time.

Bryce Landon 6 years, 3 months ago

I also started championing Fran McCaffery too. Marshall and McCaffery know how to get their teams to play with fire (or as Marshall so memorably put it, "play angry"). Self's last two teams and even this one don't seem to know how to do that. How many times the last two seasons have we complained about them going through the motions and looking disinterested or quitting when the going got tough?

Now granted, they didn't quit when OU went on a run to start the second half of this year's game in Norman, and hopefully that's the start of a return to the toughness seen from previous Self teams. I'm just saying, setting the last OU game aside, how often this season and the previous two seasons have we said that these guys were soft?

Jay Scott 6 years, 3 months ago

Bryce would fire a coach who doesn't go to the Final Four at least every other year.

He doesn't understand that no coach would touch a school that fired someone who had Self's record.

Michael Lorraine 6 years, 3 months ago

I agree Jay on your second statement but I will also defend Bryce and others who would like to see Self replaced because it is not an opinion made in malice. We all want to see KU succeed and each of us interprets success by a different standard. Some get bent out of shape over every loss while others can take a loss in stride. He is just as much a Jayhawk fan as you or me. On the issue of Bill Self I will just have to agree to disagree.

Bryce Landon 6 years, 3 months ago

Thanks, Michael. As I said above, 19 losses in two years and back-to-back losses in the Round of 32 - with the WSU loss being the most humiliating - combined with the fact that Duke and Connecticut have each won two NCAA titles since we won our most recent one - are what got me to thinking we could do better with a different coach. Call it a combination of frustration and disappointment with our underachieving teams from the last two years and jealousy of the success of other basketball schools.

Bryce Landon 6 years, 3 months ago

Well look who came out of the woodwork - or should I say, his mom's basement? - The Butthurt Dweller is back!

And for the record, I don't expect KU to be the in the Final Four every year, but I do expect KU to be in the Sweet 16 every year. Anything less than that is a wasted season.

Bryce Landon 6 years, 3 months ago

Someone who always has KU in the Sweet 16 (The Sweet 16 should be the bare minimum for the Jayhawks every single year), who is willing to change up the defense when man-to-man doesn't work, who can get his team properly motivated for inferior competition, and whose teams don't repeatedly blow double-digit leads and wilt when they do.

Doug Cramer 6 years, 3 months ago

Wouldn't want anyone else coaching this team.

Shout out to Graham. That was big time !

Michael Lorraine 6 years, 3 months ago

That non-call against Duke that cost Virginia the game makes me think replay cameras should be used for the last two minutes of the game. If it had happened earlier it would be just another blown call but when it happens in the closing minutes it's huge.

Chris Shaw 6 years, 3 months ago

It goes both ways, Michael. The officials swallowed their whistles. Which do you want? 1) You want them to call the foul to put Grayson at the line? 2) You want them to call a travel and take away the 2 points? Which do you want? The officials let the players play and decide the game and Grayson Allen ended up hitting a tough shot for the win. Can't have it both ways.

Jay Scott 6 years, 3 months ago

The one way it should be is that Duke shouldn't consistently shoot twice as many free throws as their opponents, which they did.....again.

Michael Lorraine 6 years, 3 months ago

Valid point Chris but in this instance I don't think a replay would have proven a foul against Grayson any more than a foul on him for pushing off with his left hand. A call on either player at the point would have been a sham but Grayson got away with not one but two travels. If that were in the tournament it would make a mockery of the game. The officiating in college basketball is the worst of any team sport. I don’t know if replay is the answer but they need to find a way to improve it.

Len Shaffer 6 years, 3 months ago

I've posted on this before and never gotten an answer.

I'm so tired of the whole "let players decide the game" argument. A foul is a foul and traveling is traveling. It shouldn't make the SLIGHTEST difference how much time is left in the game. Otherwise, when is the official cutoff point??? Should a foul be called with 30 seconds left? What about with 22.5 seconds left? Or is it only in the last 5.5 seconds that "players should decide the game?"

RJ King 6 years, 3 months ago

Why not go to a coaches challenge - like football and baseball?

Allow each coach one challenge per half - or one or two total per game. If a look at the replay doesn't change the original call, then they lose a timeout. If they are out of timeouts, then they cannot challenge.

Michael Lorraine 6 years, 3 months ago

If I wanted to get picky I'd argue that Villanova got destroyed by OU and we beat OU twice but at this point the polls are like the swimsuit competition. Until we find out how she's going to save the planet they really don't matter.

Len Shaffer 6 years, 3 months ago

I don't know who else Villanova lost to, but I would guess they haven't had a loss as bad as our loss to OSU.

Anyway, I kind of like being number two -- a lot less pressure that way.

Bryce Landon 6 years, 3 months ago

"A lot less pressure"? That's a loser's mentality. We should want to be #1, and we should be tough enough to handle the pressure of being #1.

John Boyle 6 years, 3 months ago

Villanova lost to OU 78-55, Virginia 86-75 and Providence 82-76. They also only played two non-conference games of any consequence (OU and Virginia) which they lost. Their conference any very strong top to bottom so they have had some large victory by point differential. The Big East is completely overrated again this year so they will get several teams in the Big Dance. They have three teams currently ranked in the top 25 with Providence being one of them and they have no "big" wins and have lost to DePaul and Marquette neither of which is very good this year.

Pius Waldman 6 years, 3 months ago

About official calls. Nearly every game has questionable calls by officials. Also generally speaking the home team gets more foul shots. Yes some officials allow the end of games to be decided by players rather than officials. Some coaches work the officials to gain calls. Sometimes officials realize they made a bad call and soon after there will be a make up call. In summary we just have to accept whatever is called. Oh I forgot crowds that are vocal sometimes influence calls.