Monday, November 30, 2015

KU football sets futility standard

Jayhawks rare Power 5 school to go winless

KU coach David Beaty celebrates an early score in the Jayhawks' 45-14, season-ending loss to Kansas State on Saturday, Nov. 28, 2015, at Memorial Stadium.

Kansas University’s football team made the wrong kind of history Saturday with its 45-14 loss to Kansas State cementing the first winless season in Big 12 history.

While the Jayhawks (0-12 overall, 0-9 Big 12) became the first team to fail to win a game since the inception of the Big 12 Conference, they’re not the only current member of the Big 12 to have experienced such a sad-sack season.

Winless FBS teams since 2000

2003 — Army — Independent

2003 — SMU — WAC

2001 — Navy — Independent

2001 — Houston — C-USA

2001 — Duke — ACC

2000 — Duke — ACC

In fact, Saturday’s opponent, Kansas State, turned in back-to-back winless seasons in 1987 (0-10-1) and 1988 (0-11) as a member of the old Big Eight. Oklahoma State (0-10-1 in 1991) and, most recently, Iowa State (0-10-1 in 1994) also suffered through winless seasons in the Big Eight.

KU’s season of futility goes well beyond just Big 12 records, though. Since 2000, only four teams from the Power 5 conferences have finished without a victory. Three of them were fielded by Duke, which went 0-11 in 2000 and 2001 but trounced KU during Week 2 of the 2014 season, and the other belongs to Washington, which finished 0-12 in 2008.

“It’s embarrassing to me personally, and I think it’s embarrassing to KU, our university,” first-year KU coach David Beaty said after Saturday’s loss. “They deserve better than that. We’re going to work our tail off every day, knowing that they deserve better. We can’t do much about what’s behind us, but we can certainly do something about what’s in front of us. And that motivation is plenty there. We have a lot to learn from.”

Coincidentally, KU, Duke and Washington also were the last three Power 5 programs to have tracks around their football fields. The tracks at KU and Washington have since been removed, and the Blue Devils have plans to replace theirs soon.

Kansas became the 18th FBS program since 2000 to finish a season without a victory. This season, the only other FBS program to finish without a win was Central Florida, which went 0-8 in the American Athletic Conference and 0-12 overall.

Two Power 5 programs — Boston College at 0-8 in the ACC and Oregon State at 0-9 in the Pac-12 — finished without a conference win, but BC won three games overall, and OSU went 2-10.

Four other FBS programs finished without conference victories in 2015, but all of those came outside of the Power 5, and all of those teams won at least one game in nonconference play.

That’s what made KU’s rough season one for the ages, as the Jayhawks not only set the futility mark throughout college football, but also became just the second KU team all-time to finish without a victory, joining Chuck Mather’s 1954 team that finished 0-10.

“I understand what happened this year,” Beaty said. “I know where our season is. But I’m not discouraged. I’m excited about moving forward. It’s going to be a great, great 2016. I’m fired up about it.”

Comments

Doug Cramer 6 years, 8 months ago

The future is looking up from here.

Keep sawin wood coach !

Doug Cramer 6 years, 8 months ago

This is what I love about Beaty. He knew EXACTLY where this program was and still had the courage to take on this monumental task.

Preciate you being here Coach !

You don't get better until you feel the pain and adversity. This is a great opportunity to build character within the program.

W Keith Swinehart II 6 years, 8 months ago

Nice post, Doug. Last paragraph tells it like it is. You have to endure the pain, and realize that therein lies the opportunity.

Brett McCabe 6 years, 8 months ago

So, we've seen what the bottom looks like. We went to the game Saturday with a bit of a secondary mission. I wanted to be there so that I could witness the last time that we get run over by a bunch of purple kitties, and I wanted to know exactly what it looked like to see the stadium dressed in purple. It will make the sellout crowds in blue that much more memorable.

Beaty and Co. were reportedly already doing in-home visits on Sunday with Amani Bledsoe and others. While grandpa Bill gets ready to lose to WVU and go to a bowl with a losing record (does anyone think that KSU will decline the bowl invite?), we've got to make hay, so I'm thrilled to hear that the staff was already out on the trail.

A sweep of of Bledsoe, McCoy and Simmons could get things off to a great start. Picking off a Mizzou or KSU recruit would definitely add some sweetness to the off-season.

Though Keegan was right to temper expectations for the program, I haven't been this excited about KU football since Todd Reesing graduated. Keep Hammerin' Hawks!

Lucas Town 6 years, 8 months ago

Brett, let me ask you one question. Would KU decline a bowl game with a 5-7 record? No they wouldn't. KU would relish another game, a shot at winning any kind of trophy and the 2-3 extra weeks of practice this team desperately needs. The extra practice is exactly why K-State would do it.

I agree about tempering our expectations, we need another 2-3 years and things will look completely different as long as we keep this coaching staff around to implement his style of play.

Brett McCabe 6 years, 8 months ago

What does this have to do with us? Hypotheticals and straw men are never of interest to me. I hope they do go to JoJo's Pizza Bowl and get destroyed. Twice, if possible. And I hope they have a bad flight both ways. And their bus beaks down. Maybe Snyder will wonder out into the woods and get lost.

Brett McCabe 6 years, 8 months ago

wander

I'll also add that, if 24-years into his career at KU Beaty is 5-7, then I'll be the first to say don't wast our time with a junk bowl game.

Dale Rogers 6 years, 8 months ago

Kind of a harsh reply to what I think is a legitimate thought by Lucas. Just sayin'.

Dale Rogers 6 years, 8 months ago

I appear to be among the minority here but I think Bill Snyder deserves my respect for the job he has done at Kansas State and also for the class way he has gone about that job. Yes, the school is our primary rival but that man is a class act all the way and I respect him completely.

Michael Lorraine 6 years, 8 months ago

He's got my respect and I hope WVU trounces them.

Mike George 6 years, 8 months ago

After he is finished wondering, perhaps he will wander out into the woods...

Suzi Marshall 6 years, 8 months ago

We were also at the game and walked away more disappointed than any time this season because of the nature of the errors on the field and tantrums from the coaching staff on the sidelines.

Brett McCabe 6 years, 8 months ago

The two punting errors were bad. I didn't witness the coaches actions so I can't comment but this is a young staff that will need to improve its performance.

Beaty was hired as a strong recruiter and, given the state of the roster, that decision may have been wiser than I understood at the time. The next 30 days may be the most important 30 days of his career at KU. This recruiting class needs to be full and productive - this will be his senior class in his 5th year, and it needs to be largely intact when that season begins.

Michael Lorraine 6 years, 8 months ago

I believe 6 wins is needed for bowl eligibility.

Bee Bee 6 years, 8 months ago

I thought it couldn't get worse after Gill and Charlie. I stand corrected.

Dale Rogers 6 years, 8 months ago

It might best be stated it got worse BECAUSE of Gill and Charlie, especially Charlie.

Maria Ungaro 6 years, 8 months ago

I hate to bring this up, I know how much everyone enjoys Conference realignment. But I have been thinking about this topic for the last few seasons and have come up with a few thoughts. Now without knowing exact cost and dollar signs just me thinking on long Saturday afternoons

1) University of Kansas cannot compete or win in the BIG 12. The Big 12 is filled with programs with tons of speed and athletes at all positions. Not saying the Big 10 doesn't have great athletes but I see KU lining up with a higher chance for victory

2) The University of Kansas would be better suited in the Big 10. Especially the Big 10 West. Just put KU in the same Division with Iowa, Northwestern, Wisconsin, Illnois, Minnesota, Purdue, and old rival Nebraska. Add a 2 game rotation from the East Division and 2 non conference games.

3) Recruiting would open many more doors around the country

4) Basketball rating would be blown up adding KU to that schedule.

Clark Groseth 6 years, 8 months ago

FYI Matt... Duke no longer has a track at Wallace Wade Stadium...and the construction is still going on...and maybe they will have it finished sometime next year.