Friday, January 9, 2015

Brannen Greene perfect from free throw line so far this season

Kansas sophomore guard discusses work at stripe at pre-Texas Tech news conference

Kansas guard Brannen Greene (14) taps his head after hitting a three-pointer against Baylor during the first half on Wednesday, Jan. 7, 2014 at Ferrell Center in Waco, Texas.

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

Self on Greene's shooting, Graham's availability and more

A day before his Kansas University basketball team plays host to Texas Tech, coach Bill Self speaks with media members about Brannen Greene's shooting ability, the availability of Devonté Graham, the toughness of Tubby Smith's teams and more.

Download podcast

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

Brannen Greene discusses the art of successful free-throw shooting

Kansas University sophomore Brannen Greene, who hasn't missed a free throw this season, discusses the art of successful foul-line shooting with members of the media.

Download podcast

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

Cliff Alexander knows he is capable of more

Kansas University freshman big man Cliff Alexander speaks with the media about his desire to polish up his offensive game, doing what his coach wants him to do and knowing he can step it up more going forward.

Download podcast

Perfection is the goal of Kansas University sophomore guard Brannen Greene, who is 17-of-17 from the free throw line this season.

“I hope so,” the 6-foot-7 Juliette, Georgia native said with a smile, asked if he thought he could go through the whole season without misfiring at the line. He was speaking at today’s pre-KU/Texas Tech media session in Allen Fieldhouse.

“I’ve joked around about it with coach and stuff when we are shooting free throws,” added Greene, who has made 21 in a row dating to last season.

“Of course that’s a realistic goal. I mean that would be amazing. That would be really cool. I don’t know who’s done that before. It’s definitely a goal. I don’t know if that will happen or not, but we’ll see.”

Greene was asked how many he’s made in a row when shooting on the side at practice or on his own.

“I made like 100 and something, probably like 130 when I was in high school. When we shoot around I go like 50 for 50 sometimes, something like that,” Greene said.

Greene has been bothered by a pinched nerve in his neck the last few games.

“Trainers believe it was from when I got my concussion in the exhibition game and is now resurfacing,” Greene said. “It’s the nerves in my neck, a pinched nerve. Sometimes when I turn my head wrong it’ll lock up on me. In the past two to three days it hasn’t done it at all. It’s improving. I’m pretty close to getting better. I’m probably 85 percent.

“I just get in for treatment, getting two to three massages every days helps me out a lot.”

NOTES: Self said freshman Cliff Alexander’s back locked in Wednesday’s win at Baylor, but that the Chicago native should be fine for Saturday’s 2 p.m. game against Texas Tech. ... Self said Devonté Graham could receive spot duty if he practices with no problems today and at game-day shootaround Saturday. “He’s probably doubtful but that could become questionable, but I don’t think it’s probable,” Self said with a smile. ... Svi Mykhailiuk’s parents were due to arrive from Ukraine today for a visit and are expected to attend Saturday’s game.

— For more on Greene’s free throws and additional facts about the Texas Tech game, see Saturday’s Journal-World and KUsports.com.

Comments

Suzi Marshall 7 years, 10 months ago

I'd love to see Mykailiuk go off with his parents watching! If he does, I'd love to see them get a job, if that is something they want.

Rodney Crain 7 years, 10 months ago

Agree - I am hoping this visit helps him reset and his shot returns. We need him, he is such a great player, very high Basketball IQ too, that we need him in there.

Like you said, even at Baylor his body language and his play off the ball was great.

Ron Sterling 7 years, 10 months ago

Svi's time will come. He's not even 18 yet. Hopefully Tech will be a cupcake game and he'll get to log a lot of minutes.

Lance Cheney 7 years, 10 months ago

And now Greene's streak will end tomorrow. Thanks a lot, Gary!

Titus Canby 7 years, 10 months ago

Lance, you're reading my mind. What a jinx.

Shannon Gustafson 7 years, 10 months ago

This is a typical media scenario. They asked Self about Greene's free throw shooting and asked if it's something they talk about (He answered with a resounding "no"). Then they ask Cliff and Brannen about it, then they talk about it constantly until he misses, then they will talk constantly about his streak ending. Let just hope the miss happens at a time other than the end of a game where it directly impacts the outcome of the game.

Mike Riches 7 years, 10 months ago

I've not been big on Greene, mainly because of his defensive deficiencies, but his streak at the free throw line is impressive. What's more impressive is that some of these free throws have been in late game, high pressure situations (Baylor and Utah come to mind.) Over the last five games, Greene is averaging just under 13 minutes a game. Many of his early-season minutes have gone to Oubre. I wouldn't mind seeing some of those remaining minutes go to Svi, but I think it would be good to keep Greene in the game enough that he's warmed up if he does go to the line at the end of a game to help protect a lead.

Rodney Crain 7 years, 10 months ago

I agree Mike. Greene needs to keep playing at a High Level consistently. We are only one game away from UNLV when he just stood there and let a guy pick up the ball, make one move and score a layup. I like him but he still needs to play better on defense.

Benz Junque 7 years, 10 months ago

Cliff's back probably locked up as a result of getting shoved in the back so many times by Gathers.

Scott MacWilliams 7 years, 10 months ago

Hey Brannen, just zone out on that free throw thing, it's all good! Your stroke is perfection!

Here's hoping that Svi has a great game with his folks there, and they get a special AFH welcome, too. He is due for a breakout, and letting him get in the flow of a game would be a great thing to see. Will they get a tour guide for the Mykhailiuks? Isn't there a Ukrainian assistant coach on the KU track team, or something like that? Make their visit fantastic!!

And every time I hear of a big guy having back problems, I just cringe a bit and hope that the trainers, etc., don't let him force it and make it worse. I'm afraid that Cliff is the kind of kid who will downplay his pain to try and stay in the game, and that could be very costly in the long run. Then again, back pain is pretty hard to ignore if it's really got you. Work on that flexibility and stretching, Cliff, and get a good firm mattress.

Rock Chalk, it's Tech TIme!

Michael Sillman 7 years, 10 months ago

In the Baylor game, Greene's defense looked a heck of a lot better. He was having to cover some of the smaller guards and was staying in front of them for the most part.

If that sort of D continues, it will really increase Self's options.

Darwin Dandy 7 years, 10 months ago

I hope Devonte is able to play tomorrow we need him to get some minutes to get ready for this gruesome Big 12 stretch we have coming up

Michael Gentemann 7 years, 10 months ago

Sherron holds the consecutive made record with 36. Simien is in second at 34. Season percentage is 90.0 by Al Correll in 1964.

Michael Leiker 7 years, 10 months ago

It's a thing of beauty at the line, the confidence, the systematic way he shoots it, the ice in his veins. I don't think the ball has touched the rim this year on a throw for BG. This is one of those guys you have your kids watch shoot that shot, muscle memory baby.

Titus Canby 7 years, 10 months ago

Vitale, of all people, described free throw shooting as a combination of concentration and relaxation. Good point. And especially difficult to do when you're both tired and amped up.

Dan Harris 7 years, 10 months ago

I would add two more to that list. Confidence and repetition.