Friday, July 20, 2012

Times set for KU football’s first three games

The Big 12 office released game times Friday for the first three games on the Kansas football team's schedule.

KU will open the season against South Dakota State at 6 p.m. on Sept. 1 at Memorial Stadium before playing host to Rice at 2:30 p.m. on Sept. 8.

The Jayhawks' first conference game against TCU at home Sept. 15 is set for an 11 a.m. kickoff.

Television plans are still being formulated through the Big 12 office. The remaining games' times for the 2012 season will be determined during the natural 12-day/six-day selection process.

Comments

clevelandjayhawker 9 years, 10 months ago

Im excited, hope the games are on tv, cant imagine TCU's first big 12 game not being on

ohjayhawk 9 years, 10 months ago

I'm guessing that, with an 11am start, the TCU game might be a candidate for Fox Sports Net. Which is always a crap shoot for me, especially now that I am subject to Root Sports and not FSN. I'll probably end up getting the privilege of seeing some D-III teams playing instead of the KU game.

David Meredith 9 years, 10 months ago

no reason to start at 11 unless it is televised... no doubt it will be which is good. Also 2:30 start suggests TV too.

Ryan2845 9 years, 10 months ago

Wasn't part of the new deal with Fox signed in 2011 that all Big 12 games would be televised starting in 2012?

From the Big 12 website: "When the agreement takes effect in the 2012-13 academic year, every Big 12 home football game will be broadcast on ABC, a FOX network, or by institutional platforms. Big 12 schools will have the option to retain rights to one home football game per season for distribution via institutional platforms"

Kevin Kelly 9 years, 10 months ago

The deal was that all confrence games would be picked up, I believe.

texashawk10 9 years, 10 months ago

A 6pm start could mean the SDSU game is on FCS because that's when their night games have traditionally started. It could also mean no TV because that's when KU typically chooses to kickoff at home if the game isn't on TV. The Rice game could be on FSN as well as 2:30 isn't a normal start time for KU if there isn't a TV broadcast planned. An 11am kickoff for a Big 12 game almost definitely means FSN is doing the broadcast, but who knows, maybe ESPN wants to boot a Big 10 game in favor of TCU's first Big 12 game.

jgkojak 9 years, 10 months ago

SDSU is a pretty large university (as big as KU) with a large following (not as large as KU, but BCS quality). I can see Fox wanting to air this game.

TCU has a big fan base, so I can see that one being on FOX as well-

if KU is 2-0 and TCU is 2-0 going in, there's our first chance to show what we're made of.

(My theory is that Gill SUCKED as coach and we have a lot better parts than it seems - kind of like Roy winning a NC with Doherty's players). I maybe turning it off by the end of the 1st quarter, but it'd be great if we'd at least make it a game.

Also, remember we beat a ranked team (Ga Tch) and a decent team (Colorado) in spite of Gill.

Saguaro_Jayhawk 9 years, 10 months ago

S Dakota St has almost 13,000 students. Last I knew, Kansas was more than double that enrollment size.

ohjayhawk 9 years, 10 months ago

And, using 2010 attendance figures KU drew almost 4.5 times as many on average per game than South Dakota State. Not to mention SDSU is an FCS school. Doubt that one is on TV.

byron 9 years, 10 months ago

We, are playing the South Dakota State jackrabbits, they have only been D 1 for a couple of years

KansasRedLegger 9 years, 10 months ago

The 11AM start for Rice is a load of crap from the Big 12. This should have been a night game, but no, KU gets stuck playing at 11, as usual.

11AM kickoffs suck.

KansasRedLegger 9 years, 10 months ago

Ah, sorry, I meant TCU. First conference game of the year, first conference game for TCU in the Big 12 ever, really no marquee games that day that I know of; I was really hoping for a night kickoff with an amped-up crowd to welcome TCU into the conference. 11AM kickoffs it seems the crowd is dead.

Saguaro_Jayhawk 9 years, 10 months ago

iirc, the very first Big XII game back in 1996 was also a pre-noon kickoff.

texashawk10 9 years, 10 months ago

There's a handful of marquee games that day that are probably more attractive than TCU-Kansas. You got Cal @ Ohio St., Alabama @ Arkansas, Florida @ Tennessee, Arizona St. @ Missouri, USC @ Stanford, Notre Dame @ Michigan St., Texas @ Ole Miss, and BYU @ Utah. Those are some pretty good games that are more attractive to the networks than TCU-Kansas is.

Jackalope7 9 years, 10 months ago

Do you actually believe KU has earned the right for a good TV spot? I bleed crimson and blue, but lets be real. KU Football has been some of the most pothetic piece of garbage to watch. You can thank Turner Gill for that. Not saying it will be more of the same this year, but we gotta start putting a better product on the field if we want to see better TV spots.

tophawk87 9 years, 10 months ago

What is so great about being on tv when we are going to get killed by TCU? Why are we sucking up to Fox Sports SW? We should just set our games at 2:30pm or 6pm and just leave them there until we win more than three or four games in a season.

ohjayhawk 9 years, 10 months ago

The Big 12 Conference has a contract with Fox. So, if they choose to show a game, I don't know there's much KU can do about it.

Armen Kurdian 9 years, 9 months ago

I probably won't get to see any games this season...my weekends are clobbered. KU tends to play better when I'm not observing the game.