Friday, November 4, 2011

Ex-KU guard Morningstar selected in D-League draft

Former Kansas University guard Brady Morningstar was selected by the Tulsa 66ers in the third round of the NBA Development League draft on Thursday. Tulsa, an affiliate of the NBA’s Oklahoma City Thunder, opens its season on Nov. 25 at Idaho. Former KU player Mario Little was not selected in the eight-round draft. The NBADL is not affected by the NBA lockout.

Jackson to Ukraine: Former KU forward Darnell Jackson of the Sacramento Kings has signed with BC Donetsk, a pro team in Ukraine, according to sportnando.net. It is not known whether Jackson will have an out-clause should the NBA lockout end. He was made an unrestricted free agent when Sacramento declined to offer him a qualifying contract offer prior to the lockout.

Comments

Martin Rosenblum 10 years, 6 months ago

Who was the top pick in the DLeague's first round? That guy must be the envy of those under the NBA lockout!

Oh yeah.....release the Brady haters. Personally, I'm proud of him for pursuing a career.

Michael Bratisax 10 years, 6 months ago

I guess the D League is the best way to pursue an NBA career.. But if I was Brady, it would be hard to leave Greece... I suppose that's what agents are for.

yates33333 10 years, 6 months ago

Good Luck, Darnell. Make some big bucks now!!! You deserve it.

jaybate 10 years, 6 months ago

Don't you people understand. Brady only played at KU, because his father was rich. Brady will only play in the NBADL, because his father is rich. Brady can only ties his shoes because his father is rich. Brady can only shoot 40% from trey, because his father is rich. Brady went to KU, because his father is rich. Brady wears jeans, because his father is rich. Brady was born and will die, because his father is rich.

Hey, has anyone even checked if Roger is still flush. Or did he get soaked by the Wall Street guys like so many other small investment bankers around America did?

Awe, who cares, its easier to have a simple premise: Roger's rich and Brady gets athlete's foot because of it.

Redlandsjhawk 10 years, 6 months ago

A pre-emptive strike by Jaybate awesome! Strike hard strike home.

jaybate 10 years, 6 months ago

I have no athletes foot, but thanks for asking. :-)

texashawk10 10 years, 6 months ago

It still amazes me how few people understand sarcasm and satire.

Hank Cross 10 years, 6 months ago

As anyone checked who bought ads in the program of the Tulsa 66ers?

REHawk 10 years, 6 months ago

Here's wishing you well, Brady. I hope that Mario Little will get the opportunity to play somewhere, if his hoops dreams continue. Darnell, we are keeping an eye on your professional career. Good luck overseas.

David Friend 10 years, 6 months ago

Jaybate.. Once again more nonsense. Money does not help when it gets to the pro-game unless Roger is buying a team

Robin Smith 10 years, 6 months ago

something along the lines of 'to tear flesh, gnash the teeth, speak bitterly'

Jack Wilson 10 years, 6 months ago

Dangit, Jaybate, you just don't get it. I can't believe you would suggest that Brady's accomplishments were due to his father's money.

As jerseyhawk says, more nonsense. Nonsense. Nonsense.

And jerseyhawk, isn't amazing how some can go through life clueless, blind to the very words in front of them, not seeing the forest for the trees? See Brock.

Entertainment.

Steve Gantz 10 years, 6 months ago

Jaybate's tongue firmly planted in cheek.

Tony Bandle 10 years, 6 months ago

I wish my tongue was firmly planted in Scarlett Johannson's cheek!!

jaybate 10 years, 6 months ago

dear HEM,

I agree. jaybate is a kucker.

Best,

jaybate

jaybate 10 years, 6 months ago

PUre YouTube link communication could be the next stage of evolution. It could be what Jean Baudrillard was getting at when he said humanity had evolved beyond being able to make sense of things.

I am going to take the next step.

I am going to communicate through Youtube link I have not even watched!

Yeeeeee hawwwwwww!

Not only post symbolic, but maybe post sign economy too.

And this is another thought I haven't had.

Burnin' down the cubicle!

LAJayhawk 10 years, 6 months ago

You, my friend, are the Franz Kafka of the copy-and-paste-other-peoples'-information age.

Well done.

jaybate 10 years, 6 months ago

In fact, one side of my family hails from Prague and, yes, I am among that small minority that finds Kafka to be more amusing than depressing, or should I say amusing and depressing. I have always thought Kafka did not get enough credit for his black sense of humor.

He walked the nightmare tight rope between black comedy and black tragedy better even than Samuel Beckett, though Beckett was far the better and more disciplined craftsman.

His only match for paranoia in print was IMHO Phillip K. Dick, but even Dick finished things. :-)

I have always thought it was hilarious that Kafka often did not finish novels and stories and that his unfinished novels and stories are superior to most other writers' finished stories.

He was a great artist who understood and portrayed the absurdity of man the protean, shape shifting animal caught in his own rigid bureaucracy.

Kurt Vonnegut captured Kafka's dead pan absurdity, when he crucified the plot of the The Metamorphosis by graphing it as a downward line on an XY coordinate plane; then said of it: a character's life starts out bad, then gets much, much worse.

I chuckle just typing it for you.

Every premise of every book is both nightmarish and hilarious in its absurdity.

Celine, Heller and Vonnegut that have followed are hysterical optimists in comparison.

Camus, whom I respect a great deal, tried to take Kafka into serious philosophical inquiry and wound up making melodramatic absurdity by comparison. Only Camus' life itself comes close to matching Kafka's fiction.

But enough already, my exoskeleton is forming as I type.

jaybate 10 years, 6 months ago

Pynchon in The Crying of Lot 49 did a commendable job, but then he fooled himself with giganticism in V and Gravity's Rainbown, and admitted having done so in the overtly dumb and boring Vineland before uncorking a truly fine and underrated traditional novel Mason & Dixon and then some drivel since, but Pynchon has created nothing of comparable hardness and worth on the level of The Trial and The Penal Colony and The Castle and The Metamorphosis.

I always thought one of the funniest comedy albums imaginable would be the comedian Stephen Wright reading Kafka. :-)

Steve Brown 10 years, 6 months ago

soon as I find my Kettle one, I'll be batting 1,000.

Steve Brown 10 years, 6 months ago

soon as I find my Kettle one, I'll be batting 1,000.

brooksmd 10 years, 6 months ago

Somebody queue the Twilight Zone theme.

Robin Smith 10 years, 6 months ago

Go Brady! Go Darnell!

also, oddly, I own a team scarf of the Ukrainian team that Darnell is now signed with. thanks xapaktep!

Good luck pursuin your dreams fellas

ahpersecoachingexperience 10 years, 6 months ago

Alex Berger 10 years, 6 months ago

This is great, So far no haters! Well, unless you count the hating on jaybate. But at least they are doing it in misguided defense of Jayhawks. That's a little redeemable, right?

jaybate 10 years, 6 months ago

Al,

You can bet your sweet tochas it is redeemable.

All MOJTs get to kvetch, right?

Besides, the tribal haters are almost as good to practice on as Kentucky lurkers, though sometimes I have trouble telling the shtick holtzes apart.

Martin Rosenblum 10 years, 6 months ago

Good job! You remembered..sort of. It's MOT, to be accurate. Throwin' out a tochas and kvetch, too! You may qualify to be an honorary MOT. Mazel Tov, Jaybatestein!

Tony Bandle 10 years, 6 months ago

That title is a little misleading. I was imagining AAA, AA, A, B, C leagues above that, you know, like baseball.

Thank God...I thought Brady was in some intramural league somewhere. :)

David Brown 10 years, 6 months ago

Wishing Darnell Jackson the best possible outcome in Europe. Work hard, stash your $$$$$, keep your nose clean, and come back to LarryTown and the Fieldhouse any time you want. One of my favorites from the '08 Championship club. He has persevered thru many setbacks and yet.......here he is, living the dream. Best of luck going forward!

LAJayhawk 10 years, 6 months ago

Do I understand what my eyes see in Eartha Kitt wearing diamonds in Marilyn Monroe's symbolic plane crash after Chamberlain "scored" 100 on her.... while Jack Lemmon kept rhythm in a monkey suit.

BOOM. Code broken.

LAJayhawk 10 years, 6 months ago

P.S. Sergei Eisenstein just gave you a standing ovation

jaybate 10 years, 6 months ago

I was surprised to learn some years back that Sergei came to America in the 1930s, I believe it was, and he and Charlie Chaplin became fast friends. I read a book by Eisenstein about film and about his films. Something called Film Sense, or Film Form, I can't recall now which. He was just as remarkable and insightful of a human being and as he was a film maker. I admired him vastly more after reading his own words on film and on differences and similarities between USSR and America. i was also surprised to learn that Eisenstein was not some huge, hulking, intimidating physical presence, but was in fact a bit comical and bohemian at least for a time in the 30s. Got into a scrap with Upton Sinclair trying to make a movie in Mexico. Both Russian and American film industries largely wasted him. Too bad.

Steve Brown 10 years, 6 months ago

Bayt. Hows this? Why Brady got his minutes no matter if papa prince or pauper.

Monkey:Evolution of college ball Wilt:Two ways to win, score more than opponent. Glory, praise, diamonds go to scorers.. Okie Ball: Second way to win, hold opponent to less points than you. C'est bon: It is so good, simple good very good. See more than boxscore, read between the lines, glue guy, hard tough D. What you going to believe the truth or what your lying eyes are telling you. What more do you need to see or hear to know Brady earned his minutes as Okie Ball Billie rather win the good way than the glory way.

Okay Bate, what's my score. Where did I miss?

jaybate 10 years, 6 months ago

Dear Zig,

I saw your recent post about KU's recruiting difficulties and I do have a take on it, and I do want to respond to you about this, but it may take me a day or two to get to it. But yes, I am going to get to your question.

I have posted about it before, also.

jaybate 10 years, 6 months ago

I find it outrageous, too. That's why I said it lengua en cheek. :-)

Lance Hobson 10 years, 6 months ago

I didn't know the "developmental" league was interested in 40-year-olds.

Vulgarity24 10 years, 6 months ago

Congrats to Brady and Darnell! Just seen Jeff Graves got signed by Erie Bayhawks in the D-league too

Jack Wilson 10 years, 6 months ago

Graves .. one of my all-time favorite Hawks. 2003 was dream season for him after Simien went down. Wouldn't mind a Jeff Graves on this year's squad.