Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Gary Bedore’s KU basketball notebook: Josh Selby smarting

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

KU coach Bill Self

Kansas coach Bill Self talks to reporters following the Jayhawks' 82-78 victory over Colorado on Jan. 25, 2011.

Download podcast

Selby smarting

Josh Selby (17 points, five assists, four rebounds) sprained an ankle late in the first half.

“It’s cool,” Selby said after the game. He did not need to ice the ankle and was not limping as he exited the arena.

Selby had contact with Robinson before the game.

“This means a lot for Thomas. Before the game, he texted me and said, ‘Don’t worry about me. I’m good. Just make sure you get this win today.’ So we wanted to come out here and get this win for him.”

Slump busted

Brady Morningstar (14 points) scored in double figures for the first time this season.

“It’s been tough. I’ve never been through something like that,” said Morningstar, who hit five of nine shots, including four of seven threes. He’d made two of his last 19 threes over 11 games.

“I tried not to think about it, but it was tough.”

Comments

Chris Bruning 11 years, 10 months ago

is this page done loading, jeez that was short and sweet. Glad we got this win for you T-rob. We are thinking about you and your family, bless you all.

jayhawkinATL 11 years, 10 months ago

Yeah, pretty lame "notebook" edition! BTW...major props to CU for holding a moment of silence for TRob's family. Class act!!!

Ben Kane 11 years, 10 months ago

agreed. did we even do that at Allen on Saturday?

KU_FanSince75 11 years, 10 months ago

Chuck--- That would be a "yes" to your question.

Dean Huggins 11 years, 10 months ago

was that what they were chanting? i thought it was 'we're not handless'---which had me scratching my head. i rescind my post below re: colorado. red devil, is that in reference to man united?

doctorWho 11 years, 10 months ago

I've been to several KU games at AFH west (though not the one last night). Die-hard CU fans have gotten pretty frustrated over the years with the support KU gets at the Coors Event center. It's no excuse for their lame display last night; but it's the same crappy feeling KU football fans have felt in the past as they watched the corndogs invade Memorial Stadium.

tdub 11 years, 10 months ago

Or how about the "D-U-I" chant for Morningstar?

GeoHawk15 11 years, 10 months ago

CU Athletics dept. showed class, the students on the other hand were the opposite. In addition to the FU Kansas chants, there were a couple of isolated jeers against KU during the moment of silence. I say good ridance!

LAJayhawk 11 years, 10 months ago

"...there were a couple of isolated jeers against KU during the moment of silence."

If that's true, it's not even that they are classless anymore, they aren't even human. Jeering during a moment of silence? That's a level of awful that can't even be put into words.

phogthedog 11 years, 10 months ago

Yes, there was a moment of silence on Saturday and Rick Barnes was very kind in his comments after the game. Just sent my check in to the Lisa Robinson Scholarship Fund for Jayla. Expect to see everyone who writes in these message boards to send one in also.

Dean Huggins 11 years, 10 months ago

you're right, there was a moment of silence saturday. after all these years rick barnes finally gained my respect by his recognition of the situation & his utmost respect for t rob and all our players/coaches. agreed about colorado; very classy and you could read tad boyle's lips when he exchanged conciliatory words with hcbs after the game. it's nice when those involved in athletics understand that the sport is just a game and there are frankly more important things in life. great win by the boys. i love pulling out the close ones & the character that it inherently builds. next on the chopping block: purple. RCJH!

laughing55 11 years, 10 months ago

Thanks for mentioning the Scholarship Fund for Jayla (LOVE her name!). The last I heard, we were supposed to wait and not do anything until it was okayed by NCAA. Has that happened and is there a link to that announcement?

kcglowboy 11 years, 10 months ago

I guarantee you they wouldn't have promoted it on the broadcast had it not been approved by the NCAA. I think we're safe sending in our money.

jayhawkinATL 11 years, 10 months ago

Where did you hear about the fund? Can you provide the contact info? Thanks.

crmsnblu 11 years, 10 months ago

they showed and explained the fund for jayla during the tv broadcast last night

ilovebill 11 years, 10 months ago

Here you go...

"Lisa's family is asking that, in lieu of flowers or other gifts, contributions be made to the Lisa Robinson Scholarship Fund, for the benefit of her daughter, Jayla, c/o SNR Denton, 1301 K Street NW, Suite 600, East Tower, Washington, DC 20005-3364. Contributions to the Lisa Robinson Scholarship Fund are nondeductible for tax purposes."

Glen Darge 11 years, 10 months ago

It's about time Selby did something to help out the team. I think he is over rated and another inconsistant performer. There are others warming the bench that could have done better by now.

gchawk 11 years, 10 months ago

I've set up many scholarship funds, and while they may be titled as such that doesn't mean it has to be used exclusively for that purpose. There or no penalties or additional taxes if the funds are taken out and not used for educational purposes.

Ann Oneill 11 years, 10 months ago

There's no guarantee that he's going to earn the big bucks. T-Rob has the potential for great success playing pro ball, but life could throw him another curve ball. It's a small thing that we can do to take some pressure off of these kids.

brooksmd 11 years, 10 months ago

I think they are still waiting on word from NCAA as to what can be done. Would be nice to allow something similar to what was allowed for Ray Ray McElrathbey, the Clemson football player who took over guardianship of his younger brother a few years ago.

Unfortunately, Bowden pulled his scholarship after his soph season to give to another player.

clevelandjayhawker 11 years, 10 months ago

Where is jayhawk-in-nebraska??? Is he going to hate on mrninstar today and tell us about how horrible he played last night?

jayhawkinATL 11 years, 10 months ago

Well, you know, there was that errant pass!!! LOL

Steve Kubler 11 years, 10 months ago

They'd have won by 30 if they benched ....... think it will go something like that? ;)

Kurt Eskilson 11 years, 10 months ago

Word on the boards yesterday was that LJW rescinded nebraska's posting privileges. One can only be pointlessly poisonous for so long …

GridironHawk 11 years, 10 months ago

There was a post pulled from yesterday (the whole post was removed. No sign it ever existed). However, I don't know how they will be able to prevent them from getting a new ID (and new IP). However, I for one, will enjoy the time while they are revoked without having to read their posts.

murph 11 years, 10 months ago

Amen! The attacks on Brady have been over the line.

gchawk 11 years, 10 months ago

Just to satisfy my curiosity I went back to articles where I knew he had posted, even as far back as the football season as I know he was blasting Coach Gill similarly to the way he was berating Brady, and there were none of his former post listed, all vanished into thing air. Thanks you LJW.

brooksmd 11 years, 10 months ago

Darn it. He never gave me his address so I could send him some Boudreaux's Butt Paste. I heard it's great for that itch caused by overdosing on corncobs.

kcglowboy 11 years, 10 months ago

Ditto. As a "reformed" journalist, I'm all for free speech, but when free speech coincides with anonymity, hateful, thoughtless garbage is bound to creep in. I welcome a little bit of editing on this, one of the few message boards worth participating in.

And as my way of saying Farewell to jayhawkimposterinnebr, I just want to say BRAVO BRADY, we're all very happy for you today.

hayjawk 11 years, 10 months ago

I don't know if I can claim responsibility, but he was jerked shortly after I responded to his last post. I called him a loud fool, and he may have responded beyond his normal vulgar way, finally crossing the line. I only mention this because within minutes after my post, I looked for his reply and all evidence of his miserable existence was gone. I would like to believe that I provided a service to all rational minded Hawk fans. OH, AND MY CONGRATULATIONS GO OUT TO BRADY FOR A FINE PERFORMANCE LAST NIGHT!!! Most good fans realize that you are and have been a great asset to this family.

Marcus Duncan 11 years, 10 months ago

Just a quick thouht/question? Why hasn't T-Releford been getting any minutes. I thought his ankle was fine even for the Texas game? Just curious if anyone has heard anything? ROCK CHALK JAYHAWK! Let's CRUSH those purple kitties this weekend!!!

apeoples410 11 years, 10 months ago

Any updates on Daniels? I thought a previous article mentioned that he had to make his decision within four or five days and I think that was on Friday.

jaybate 11 years, 10 months ago

"All Slumps End and Much Information Is Not Symmetrically Distributed"

~All slumps end for good shooters.

All slumps end for good players.

Brady is both. He's not a great player, but since when can KU, or any team, only rely on great players? Since never.

~EJ's slump will end sometime this season, too. Someone else will likely slip into one. Slumps are facts of the sporting life.

~This is a team. It is not a zero sum game. Zero sum games are those where Player A loses, if Player B wins, and B loses if A wins, with the assumption that there can be no outcomes where both win, or both lose. A tennis match is basically a zero sum game. Team games are zero sum games between the teams, but not within them. Within them, they are basically cooperative ventures with some competition sprinkled in as motivation to get all teammates to perform at their highest levels possible.

If Self casts the roles correctly, KU does not get better by EJ and Travis beating out Tyshawn and Brady, or vice versa. Why? Because that would mean Self defined the roles wrong in the first place and the team just spent a great deal of time trying to learn one set of roles, when another set proved better. As a team, KU gets better by all of them performing at high levels in their assigned roles and in whatever MUAs they hold in any given instance in those roles.

~It is not impossible that Self will junk what he has been building, but it would be a massive setback for the team to have to discover that their coach had it all wrong, and they have to retool and play catch-up the rest of the season with all the teams whose coaches got it right from the beginning.

jaybate 11 years, 10 months ago

~Many question whether Self is casting the roles correctly. Of course it is each fan's right and pleasure to question a coach's assignment of roles--to argue that the team would be much better of if Player A were given more time to improve than Player B is being given. The problem most fans have (yours truly included) in credibly posing an alternative set of roles is this: information asymmetry between coach and fan. A fan always has vastly less information on which to base his opinion than does the coach. Information correctly processed is knowledge. Knowledge is power. Because the coach starts with so much more information than the fan, even if the fan is the equal, or the better, of the coach in defining roles, the coach tends to be the more powerful and effective in his analysis.

Because fans have so much less information available to them, I am inevitably skeptical about fans that opine about a coach, especially one like Self that wins 83% of his games, especially when they are opining about the coach supposedly defining the wrong roles.

Note: I am not skeptical, because I think Self is a god, or because he is an authority figure I have to bow down to. I am skeptical, because he always has more critical information than a fan does, and he has a history of making sound use of that information most of the time.

At the same time, since most fans have similar access to information, I am not surprised that some fans explain a coach's intentions one way, and other fans explain them another way. Nor am I surprised, when I am wrong about what he is doing, and someone clears it up for me.

What really impresses me is when a fan figures out why (and how) a coach--a professional with all the information asymmetry favoring him--is doing what he is doing, not why he should be doing something else.

jaybate 11 years, 10 months ago

Like many, I am at times bewildered at what Self is up to, and at times bewildered about why it is working, or occasionally why it is not working. I am amazed at how man fans clarify what Self is doing and how he is doing it, and why it is either working, or failing. I learn a great deal about basketball this way.

I mean no disrespect to any board rat, but I tend to learn less about basketball in discussion centered on why Self has mis-defined the roles and how much better we could be doing, if only he would change this, or that role.

Still, since coaches are not perfect, and since even the best coaches make mistakes, I cannot help but give those arguing against Self's role definitions a hearing. They, too, can be on to something.

But my experience is this: even in rare instances when I come down diametrically opposed to what Self is doing, and see a clear path to something more sensible, what I have found is that he is already moving in the direction I am identifying, he just has to move more slowly in that direction, because of certain realities of the situation that I did not know about.

All of this is a long way of saying it is quite alright to try to out guess a coach, and no doubt some here are smart enough to occasionally out think him, but my skepticism should be understood, as imminently sensible, as well. :-)

jaybate 11 years, 10 months ago

~I had an excellent discussion about basketball coaches, with of all persons a neurosurgeon. It occurred many, many years ago. I was complaining at the time about fans criticizing a particular coach (one much less successful than Self and a coach unrelated to KU). I said something to the effect that fans wouldn't doubt an experienced neurosurgeon cutting on a brain, if surgeries were televised, the way they do basketball coaches operating on their teams. He laughed and said some certainly would. But then he said some thing with more seriousness. He said something some activities lend themselves to a lot of public criticism, because the part of the activity that is apparent to the public seems kind of simple. So, he said, the public feels a false sense of being qualified to substitute their judgements for those of the trained professional. He said everyone looks at a coach, or the President of the USA, and thinks well that isn't so hard. I could wear a suit and walk around telling people what to do. But they don't know the sizeable amounts of specialized expertise it takes to be a coach and a President (and least good ones), and they (he emphasized this doubly) never have all of the information that is driving the coach and President to make his decision and act as he does.

In contrast, the physician said, if they watched me on some network on a program called "Sunday Morning Surgeon," they just wouldn't have a clue about how and what to cut, and how to resect, and how to irrigate, and how to cauterize and stitch, and what you have to know to do it and they would know they didn't know, because much of what I do that is complicated, and requires skill to understand and perform, is rather graphically visible. What a basketball coach knows about his players abilities and complementary dynamics between each other is not readily apparent to anyone that is not up close and personal with the players, in practice, and in their heads.

I have always remembered what the surgeon said. It kept me from underestimating many allies and many opponents. I thought it worth mentioning here.

~The '08 ring team was so good, because all the guys who could contribute to the non-zero sum game that is team eventually did contribute and did so at high levels in their roles, however broadly, or narrowly, those roles were defined. That is the lasting lesson of the '08 ring team. That and "believe," even when there is little logical reason to do so.

Rock Chalk!

buckleyhawk 11 years, 10 months ago

Lebowski, this dude abides as well...at least to skipping over the JB novella. If I was still in school (lord knows I wish I was still at that point in my life) I might give it a good go; unfortunately not so doable at this point (not that anyone cares).

But, because you are friends with Walter and the late Donnie, and seem reasonable enough, I thought I would actually read this Jaybate essay. And what I think about it is this:

• JB argues that teams are not zero-sum games (I agree), but then states that if player A+B (EJ+Relaford) beats out C+D (Taylor+Morningstar), the team does not get better. That is just a bit circular. I sort of get your point with roles being "mis-defined" and what-not, but depending on your perspective (long- vs short-term, mine maybe being more long than short (insert joke here)), a) you are making the zero-sum case, and b) it certainly gets better if younger players reach an ability level (or however you want to term it as it pertains to team success) that is higher than older ("out-the-door") players.

• The Husker (I assume) posing as a Jayhawk was a joke,and his ridiculousness will not be missed

• If we all put blind faith into BS (irony?) or (insert big-time coach - Roy?) for that matter, what we talk about?

• Even though I fully agree with the implicit betterness (words, fun) of Self over Roy, let's not forget that he did take KU to a couple of FF's, and turned a JV coaching job into a two decade long career coaching two of the five or six most prestigious college basketball programs ever...I am no Roy apologist by any means, but his record does (still) stand on its own