Nick Krug describes his view of charging Iowa State fan; Can Bill Self get to 1,000 wins?

A few links for your snowy Tuesday ...

An Iowa State fan is restrained by police after charging at Kansas head coach Bill Self after the Jayhawks' 108-96 overtime win on Monday, Feb. 25, 2013 at Hilton Coliseum in Ames, Iowa. by Nick Krug

A few minutes after Kansas' 108-96 overtime victory over Iowa State on Monday, I went up to photographer Nick Krug to ask him if he'd seen the angry ISU fan that had rushed at KU coach Bill Self after the game before getting pushed back by a police officer.

As I was finishing my sentence, Nick pulled up the photos above on his computer.

Yep, that answered my question.

Anyways, some national outlets have started to pick up on the story and photos, including Deadspin and USA Today.

Self told KUsports.com's Gary Bedore that the incident was not a big deal.

It was a great crowd. It was a great game. I have no problem with what went on after the game.

Here's what Nick saw while shooting the photos above:

I noticed the fan charging Self about the same time the police officer noticed him. The fan got close up to Self and was pointing his finger, appearing furious while accusing Self of being classless. My guess is it had to do with Elijah Johnson's dunk and being completely caught up in the moment. The police officer quickly got between Self and the fan, grabbed his shirt, and removed him. Self obviously noticed the fan, but he had the presence of mind not to react while letting the officer intervene.

• The following GIF is not how the incident went down, but it still is a funny fake re-enactment that was sent to me via Twitter by stevedoyel.

Though Self started later in coaching than many of the current wins leaders, he has a great chance of setting a new college basketball coaching wins mark if he decides to coach into his late 60s, according to this research a few weeks ago from Konza63 on RockChalk.com.

According to the study, if Self keeps up a pace similar to his recent win percentage and stays at KU, he could get to 1,000 wins sometime between his 65th and 67th birthday. For reference, Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim is 72, while Duke's Mike Krzyzewski is 66, and neither is at the 1,000-win mark. Coach K is closest with 951 career wins, and he started coaching at age 28.

ESPN's Myron Medcalf wrote more about Johnson's effort against ISU, saying the point guard handled criticism and through it all didn't whine, blame others or quit.

And finally, here are the video highlights of the game from ESPN.

;

Comments

jay_cheese 1 year, 1 month ago

People keep forgetting that they were the ones that chanted WE WANT KANSAS. Well you got us alright and played an amazing game....even set a couple records. But, it wasn't enough at the end. Talk is cheap.

Classless is throwing stuff on the court and at our players. I've been at Hilton for our last few match ups, their fans hate us like we win everything. Oh wait, we do. Only one way to stop that but it didn't happen this night. Being hated is a major compliment...but you don't need to cross the line. Didn't expect to see fan replacements for missou but they seem to lowering themselves nicely to that niche. Rockchalk

rockchalk_dpu 1 year, 1 month ago

Should Elijah have dunked that, probably no, but I look at it like a late game score in football. The offense usually will run junk plays to kill clock and end the game. If the defense has a lapse and lets them run one in, I wouldn't expect a player to fall down at the 1 yard line if he has a chance to score. In that example, the team and fans have nothing to be mad about since it's their job to stop it.

In this game, if Iowa State throws even a semblance of a defense at him, he likely slows up and just winds out the clock dribbling around center court. Instead, Iowa State just stood there and did nothing so he took it to the hole. As other posters have said, it could have been worse, he could have spotted up for 3 to go for an even 40. (If he had, then I'd be mad at him)

If you don't want someone scoring on you, play D and stop it.

Ohiohawkfan6188 1 year, 1 month ago

LarryNative-I agree that the KU fans are loud and zealous, but not classless. I was at AFH for the loss to OSU and the backflip. The fans were loud during the game and appropriately so. After the game, there weren't choruses of boos during Travis Ford's interview (and he's NOT a classy, likeable guy like Hoiberg). The fans allowed him to enjoy his moment in the sun, even when he took his time posing for OSU fan photos courtside. The fans in the Fieldhouse are a pretty classy bunch.

woodscolt 1 year, 1 month ago

Can self win 1000 games? How about getting 512 this year.

mandomax 1 year, 1 month ago

that fan that rushed Self was jumping up and down right on the sideline all game, yelling at refs and exclaiming outrage when calls didn't go ISU's way. I noticed him going crazy pretty much the whole game. Makes sense he was the one who got a little heated. You can see him clearly in the highlight video above at the 1:38 mark on the bottom of the screen.

JHawkIDoc 1 year, 1 month ago

When I watched the EJ interview and heard the intense booing in the background I put it together that the fans were booing Melvin and not coach. I think ISU fans are almost on par with their intensity as AFH fans; they just haven't enjoyed enough success to be refined into "classy". On the other hand they drive me nuts when they whine /moan about every non call during the game. KSU is the same way. As KU fans I think we're a pretty sophisticated basketball audience, yet we (I may be the loudest at it) are also very quick to let the Zebras know about missed hacks and walks. I think ISU is going to be great competition as long as Hoiberg is around. It should be fun. Aside: Too bad Mizzerable is having such an all around lousy year in the SEC.

BainDread 1 year, 1 month ago

Recently added to my list of things to be thankful for....My team's basketball court doesn't have a seed corn ad painted on it.

During Elijah's interview, the fans could be heard booing. Does anyone know if they were booing the fan who was attacking Coach Self, or were they booing the policeman who intervened?

Todd 1 year, 1 month ago

I have to say, if KU wasn't involved, I would have felt sorry for those fans. Seeing their reactions reminded me of how we've all felt after a tournament loss. But, that's how things go. Go KU.

dynamitehawk 1 year, 1 month ago

Sad deal about those kids who tweeted ugliness, too.

Mike Mainzer 1 year, 1 month ago

Objectively speaking the no call on EJ should have been a charge considering Niang had better position than when Withey picked up the charge. Instead of calling the holding foul I would like to see the final 5.2 seconds play out as EJ passes to a wide open Tharpe who buries the three to win the game outright without OT.

Classless or not, EJ shouldn't have dunk the ball and just dribbled it out. I doubt he goes for the dunk in Allen and instead shows some senior leadership and runs out the clock. At the very least the dunk gives ISU more bulletin board material. They were beaten twice in OT, but the dunk escalates it to a personal level of disrespecting them on their home court. KU may face them again in the conf tourney and if so you hope it doesn't turn into a chippy game or that EJ isn't the victim of a cheap shot. Despite his struggles, he's better than that - it's something the Morris Twins would do.

jaybate 1 year, 1 month ago

Jesse,

I have to say I just have no clue how long Self will coach.

I am inclined to think he may go longer than he thinks, for the same reason many coaches do: its one of the best ways to make a difference in other persons' lives.

At the same time, the older Self gets, the less he will enjoy manipulating players emotions into great performances.

Its a toss up right now, so its probably best to take him at his word and say he will quit in 5-10 years once he's got Tyler set in what ever career Tyler chooses.

JayHawkFanToo 1 year, 1 month ago

Never apologize, it's a sign of weakness - NCIS Special Agent Leroy Jethro Gibbs.

Benjamin Piehler 1 year, 1 month ago

I just hope the fans aren't abusive when the KU ladies visit tomorrow...

Kent Kossoy 1 year, 1 month ago

While I would generally agree that the dunk should not have occurred, I have know ISU fans to be classless for many years. When I lived in Iowa, Iowa was a better collection of fans than ISU. The classless fans deserved the dunk.

jhawkrulz 1 year, 1 month ago

What about ISU throwing things at the KU players after the game...

crazyed 1 year, 1 month ago

Coach Hoiberg is a good young coach and given time will be a great old coach. He does have a good team and I don't want to see us play them a third time. Just glad KU won again and should win out the rest of the way.

Ralster Jayhawk 1 year, 1 month ago

Stated another way: Fred Hoiberg is alot classier than some IowaState fans, Ive liked his courtside demeanor, recruiting, and gameplans. I hope those fans realize what a good coach they have on their hands.

Ralster Jayhawk 1 year, 1 month ago

No problem with the dunk. I stand behind Elijah--who actually did apologize on-camera to Holly Rowe about 8min after the game, but he didnt have to. Actually speechless at his outstanding performance. Stupid Cyclone pansies want license to say "classless", when a KU player makes a dunk in regulation--> its NOT like we were running up the score on a 30+ point blowout (maybe that would be insult to injury?). IowaSt shot themselves out of the gym in OT, while the KU players were smelling blood. Its called momentum shift. And all of HiltonColiseum heard their retard fans chanting "F--- Kansas", didnt they? Dont anybody lecture me about 1 of our guys dunking the ball...it was a single digit game in OT prior to the dunk. Like Self would say: "SOFT!"--lets use that word for Cyclones mad at EJ for personally blowing them out. Lets use that to describe Hoiberg's coaching in both OT's...keep going with low-percentage looks, and it felled ya again! I just knew, given long enough, that the ridic Cyclone 3% would cool off...and that exactly happened in OT. And finally, I have no problem with Fred Hoiberg--> IowaSt actually got a really good, young coach, and his playstyle is a real handful. IF we lost to them, I was going to get on this site and (defend players+coach as always) simply say we lost to a better team. They were doing all that they were capable of doing to beat us. I applaud their gameplan and effort, win or lose.

Geezer 1 year, 1 month ago

And Tyshawn had an open floor dunk on Purdue in last years tournament. Playas gotta play.

Ferd Magellan 1 year, 1 month ago

Of course his name is Melvin. How perfect.

97jhawk 1 year, 1 month ago

Classless? Please! What about all those classless ISU fans yelling obscenities about KU before the game. In Jesse's live blog before the game it was reported their fans were yelling F@&$ Kansas! How's that for classless. I'd have dunked the ball too. Some nerve their Busch League fans have.

Ryan Zimmerman 1 year, 1 month ago

Agreed.... he was falling back multiple times including that awful call against Withey. The foul on the floor on Niang should've been let go. The ball got out to Tharpe anyway, so not really necessary to stop the play IMO

Michael Leiker 1 year, 1 month ago

More I look at the play, more I think Niange was falling back before contact occurred with Elijah. I think when the league reviews they will say his was the correct call.

kennethst 1 year, 1 month ago

Did you see that little kid crying??? Ahhhhhhhhh........I kind feel bad for him. Well kid.....you chose to be a fan of ISU. Sorry. You may as well get used to crying.

Jonathan Allison 1 year, 1 month ago

we've been very fortunate over the past 6 years to average almost 33 wins a year, but that's pretty unrealistic to assume that we'll continue to average 33 wins a year for another 15 years.

kennethst 1 year, 1 month ago

Crazy corn-fed Iowa people!! Actually, that guy kind of looks like a corn stalk.

Poor Baby. There was nothing wrong with Elijah's dunk......sick of having to apologize for everything nowadays. If you want to be mad, cornstalk.....be mad at the team . They let it happen.

Kyle Sybesma 1 year, 1 month ago

I don't remember Johnny Orr but I hear ISU fans praising him all the time so I looked him up last night....... Not impressive. His best season was 22-11. 2nd in the Big 8 and a sweet 16 appearance. 14 years at ISU with a record of 218-200.

thmdmph 1 year, 1 month ago

I wish self would teach and use some zone defense to keep Jeff where he's needed and defend teams like ISU.

kirkhinrichflow 1 year, 1 month ago

i bet that guy who charged Self beats his wife too

Alex Laughlin 1 year, 1 month ago

I feel bad for that guy's wife.

claycountyjayhawk 1 year, 1 month ago

The guy needs to be banned from all sporting event's. Who knows what he had in mind?? crazy sob.

Joe Joseph 1 year, 1 month ago

The Self karate-chop GIF is hilarious.

Also, I'm tired of all the "EJ's dunk was classless" garbage. He caught the ball with like 6 full seconds left. I'm willing to bet he would have been fouled had he tried to dribble the clock out. EJ received an outlet pass and had nobody in front of him. I'm sure nature takes over in the moment.

Is it a bit out of taste? Probably. Classless? No.

Certainly way less shameful than charging an opposing coach. Or throwing trash on the opposing players/coaches.

fearthephog512 1 year, 1 month ago

Yelling in a man's face, accusing him of being classless, requiring police intervention ... hypocrisy, thy name is you.

justinryman 1 year, 1 month ago

No I'm pretty sure thats exactly what happened after the police officer tried to take away Nicks camera and let the fan get to coach.

If he can push a car out of a ditch, he can flick a fan down the court.