Nick Krug describes his view of charging Iowa State fan; Can Bill Self get to 1,000 wins?

A few links for your snowy Tuesday ...

An Iowa State fan is restrained by police after charging at Kansas head coach Bill Self after the Jayhawks' 108-96 overtime win on Monday, Feb. 25, 2013 at Hilton Coliseum in Ames, Iowa. by Nick Krug

A few minutes after Kansas' 108-96 overtime victory over Iowa State on Monday, I went up to photographer Nick Krug to ask him if he'd seen the angry ISU fan that had rushed at KU coach Bill Self after the game before getting pushed back by a police officer.

As I was finishing my sentence, Nick pulled up the photos above on his computer.

Yep, that answered my question.

Anyways, some national outlets have started to pick up on the story and photos, including Deadspin and USA Today.

Self told KUsports.com's Gary Bedore that the incident was not a big deal.

It was a great crowd. It was a great game. I have no problem with what went on after the game.

Here's what Nick saw while shooting the photos above:

I noticed the fan charging Self about the same time the police officer noticed him. The fan got close up to Self and was pointing his finger, appearing furious while accusing Self of being classless. My guess is it had to do with Elijah Johnson's dunk and being completely caught up in the moment. The police officer quickly got between Self and the fan, grabbed his shirt, and removed him. Self obviously noticed the fan, but he had the presence of mind not to react while letting the officer intervene.

• The following GIF is not how the incident went down, but it still is a funny fake re-enactment that was sent to me via Twitter by stevedoyel.

Though Self started later in coaching than many of the current wins leaders, he has a great chance of setting a new college basketball coaching wins mark if he decides to coach into his late 60s, according to this research a few weeks ago from Konza63 on RockChalk.com.

According to the study, if Self keeps up a pace similar to his recent win percentage and stays at KU, he could get to 1,000 wins sometime between his 65th and 67th birthday. For reference, Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim is 72, while Duke's Mike Krzyzewski is 66, and neither is at the 1,000-win mark. Coach K is closest with 951 career wins, and he started coaching at age 28.

ESPN's Myron Medcalf wrote more about Johnson's effort against ISU, saying the point guard handled criticism and through it all didn't whine, blame others or quit.

And finally, here are the video highlights of the game from ESPN.

Comments

justinryman 1 year, 8 months ago

No I'm pretty sure thats exactly what happened after the police officer tried to take away Nicks camera and let the fan get to coach.

If he can push a car out of a ditch, he can flick a fan down the court.

flloyd 1 year, 8 months ago

When will Coach quit with the lizard-like tongue thing when he is nervous?

Joseph Bullock 1 year, 8 months ago

if that is all you are worried about, either u r not really a K.U. fan, or u r simply an ass! worry about yourself, and if u r a basketball fan, worry about basketball, but something tells me u don't have a clue! u r probably a missouri or k-state fan. or the brother of the Iowa State fan who went after self, who like you, also has not a clue!

Kent Noble 1 year, 8 months ago

Be careful what you say because if you look like an insect. That lizard like tongue will depose of you idiot!!

Joseph Bullock 1 year, 8 months ago

I guess flloyd is in trouble then, isn't he. LOLLLLLLL

fearthephog512 1 year, 8 months ago

Yelling in a man's face, accusing him of being classless, requiring police intervention ... hypocrisy, thy name is you.

Joe Joseph 1 year, 8 months ago

The Self karate-chop GIF is hilarious.

Also, I'm tired of all the "EJ's dunk was classless" garbage. He caught the ball with like 6 full seconds left. I'm willing to bet he would have been fouled had he tried to dribble the clock out. EJ received an outlet pass and had nobody in front of him. I'm sure nature takes over in the moment.

Is it a bit out of taste? Probably. Classless? No.

Certainly way less shameful than charging an opposing coach. Or throwing trash on the opposing players/coaches.

Joe Joseph 1 year, 8 months ago

Ok, so I watched the highlights and I guess it wasn't exactly a long outlet pass. Still, not a big deal. I wouldn't be upset if the shoe was on the other foot. I'd be more upset that my team just got punked in its own building...

Joseph Bullock 1 year, 8 months ago

you don't dunk that ball. E.J. knows he made a mistake there. Iowa State was not trying to foul at that point, because they knew the game was basically over. E.J. apologized via ESPN, and K.U. outlets. it's over with, so people need to let it go. the Iowa State fans won't, though, and they shouldn't. Neither would our fans, if it happened to us. I bet our fans will be all over Marcus Smart, if we play them in the Big 12 tournament, or even if we don't play them, for doing the back flip on our Jayhawk Logo. If we criticize that, we have to accept criticism for E.J.'s dunk. Enough said!

Joe Joseph 1 year, 8 months ago

I think most fans thought Smart's back flip was a punk thing to do. But that was probably it. I never understood the hype that that received.

It's the same thing with EJ's dunk. It wasn't the best thing to do, but is it really a big deal? No.

hawk_of_ages 1 year, 8 months ago

Some of our fans were upset about Smart's backflip, others weren't. Releford commented on it, but not in an angry or vitriolic way. Even fewer of our fans were upset when Forte did basically the same thing EJ did at the end of that game. I didn't care about either one; I was upset that we lost the game -- period. And even among those who were offended, there were no angry confrontations on the floor, racist tweets, or death threats.

Joseph Bullock 1 year, 8 months ago

ralster, you have every right to disagree with me, or anyone else. we all have our opinions, and I value yours. I had no idea, until today, about the chants of the crowd, and some of the things that they did (throwing things at our players and coaching staff). but even with that, as both E.J. and Coach Self said, E.J. should not have dunked that ball-he should have run the clock out. If we are the class act that we claim to be (which I 1000% believe we are), then we need to be better than stooping to the level of the ISU fans. Look at what Trav said about Marcus Smart doing the back flip on our Jayhawk logo. We didn't do anything lacking in class, when we went to OSU's house and beat them. I, personally, would have taken the who gymnastics team, out of spite. Just kidding.
I also heard that the ISU fan base was tweeting racial slurs about our players. Does anyone know if there is any truth to that? If so, I am wondering just exactly what ISU's non-white players are thinking right about now, and any non-white recruits, who are considering going there. I guess there are people like that everywhere, but to post things like that, over the loss of a basketball game, is pretty idiotic! What does the ISU fan base think of their non-white players when they lose games, and if they win, do they get to ride in the front of the bus? What pathetic fans they are!

kureader 1 year, 8 months ago

Interesting ... the guy isn't just a classless ISU fan, he's a Board Officer for the ISU Alumni Association and for the Cyclone Athletic Booster's Organization. And we're focused on Elijah's dunk?

Mallory Rempp 1 year, 8 months ago

That was literally the first thing I thought. If that would have been me, I would've shouted, "I have no idea who this man is!" and ran for the doors.

W Keith Swinehart II 1 year, 8 months ago

The guy is just an overenthusiastic fan. I'm sure his wife has been embarrassed before this. Put yourself in the position of Melvin and the 14,500 rabid ISU fans two minutes prior to overtime. They were congratulating themselves and their team before KU "snatched victory from the jaws of defeat." You all saw the fans as the cameras panned during the last moments of the overtime... Hoiberg's boy, a middle aged woman in tears. This was a gut-wrenching loss for a proud fanbase from Iowa. Everyone will get over it.

kureader 1 year, 8 months ago

Sure, just an overenthusiastic fan ... it could have happened to anyone. I know lots of people who've had to stop themselves from rushing the visiting coaches bench and yelling obsenities at the visting head coach.

nuleafjhawk 1 year, 8 months ago

Do they have concealed carry in Iowa ?

thmdmph 1 year, 8 months ago

I wish self would teach and use some zone defense to keep Jeff where he's needed and defend teams like ISU.

stinkybulldog 1 year, 8 months ago

Why would you play zone defense against a great 3 point shooting team like ISU?

Dirk Medema 1 year, 8 months ago

thmdwph might, because it is a means of second guessing.

Fortunately, Coach Self actually knows CBB.

Lance Cheney 1 year, 8 months ago

They would've torched us in a zone, the way they were shooting that night. Game wouldn't have even been close, which, in turn, means there would be no discussion about the refs.

Kyle Sybesma 1 year, 8 months ago

I don't remember Johnny Orr but I hear ISU fans praising him all the time so I looked him up last night....... Not impressive. His best season was 22-11. 2nd in the Big 8 and a sweet 16 appearance. 14 years at ISU with a record of 218-200.

oldalum 1 year, 8 months ago

I don't know how good a coach he was, but he was supposed to be sort of like Norm Stewart in his intensity. I believe he was very well respected.

Al Martin 1 year, 8 months ago

We had a lot of trouble winning in Ames when he coached there.

kennethst 1 year, 8 months ago

Well.....When you see a school hang banners for getting into the tournement.....you know you're not at an impressive place. Look up mediocrity in the dictionary and you see a picture of ISU.

klineisanazi 1 year, 8 months ago

For KU fans, all you need to know is that Danny Manning and Larry Brown never won in Ames. It was a tough place to play. Also, that Sweet Sixteen appearance featured a future pro named Jeff Hornacek. KU had some big battles with ISU. I don't care what his overall record was, he made Hilton one of the best home courts in the Big 8. KU fans old enough to remember know what I am talking about.

kennethst 1 year, 8 months ago

Crazy corn-fed Iowa people!! Actually, that guy kind of looks like a corn stalk.

Poor Baby. There was nothing wrong with Elijah's dunk......sick of having to apologize for everything nowadays. If you want to be mad, cornstalk.....be mad at the team . They let it happen.

Jonathan Allison 1 year, 8 months ago

we've been very fortunate over the past 6 years to average almost 33 wins a year, but that's pretty unrealistic to assume that we'll continue to average 33 wins a year for another 15 years.

kennethst 1 year, 8 months ago

Did you see that little kid crying??? Ahhhhhhhhh........I kind feel bad for him. Well kid.....you chose to be a fan of ISU. Sorry. You may as well get used to crying.

kennethst 1 year, 8 months ago

Really? Well.....that's certainly understandable then.

LakeShawnee 1 year, 8 months ago

Jayhawks: making Cyclones cry for 115 years.

Michael Leiker 1 year, 8 months ago

More I look at the play, more I think Niange was falling back before contact occurred with Elijah. I think when the league reviews they will say his was the correct call.

Kevin Huffman 1 year, 8 months ago

Niang DID fall back...more and more people are LESS up in arms about the charge / block today and MORE up in arms about the foul that followed when both Johnson & Niang were on the floor....what sent EJ to the line.

Michael Leiker 1 year, 8 months ago

So what do you think? Was it a foul? I see his hand on Johnson's arm. Strange call but it looks like a hold

doolindalton 1 year, 8 months ago

Niang was falling back before contact; it was a flop. He did foul Johnson on the floor. The call was correct. The "big" mistake occurred in not calling the 5th foul on Withey.

Ryan Zimmerman 1 year, 8 months ago

Agreed.... he was falling back multiple times including that awful call against Withey. The foul on the floor on Niang should've been let go. The ball got out to Tharpe anyway, so not really necessary to stop the play IMO

Eric Dawson 1 year, 8 months ago

Niang was not close to set on the Withey "charge". Musberger even commented on it as they immediately showed the replay, pointing out that it was clearly a bad call because Niang was never set. Consistently bad officiating the entire game, not just the last minute of regulation.

97jhawk 1 year, 8 months ago

Classless? Please! What about all those classless ISU fans yelling obscenities about KU before the game. In Jesse's live blog before the game it was reported their fans were yelling F@&$ Kansas! How's that for classless. I'd have dunked the ball too. Some nerve their Busch League fans have.

Geezer 1 year, 8 months ago

And Tyshawn had an open floor dunk on Purdue in last years tournament. Playas gotta play.

jhawkrulz 1 year, 8 months ago

Technically speaking we were up by ten and one by twelve...there was ten seconds...dunk or be fouled hard

Kye Clark 1 year, 8 months ago

I've posted this elsewhere, but I think some of the "classless" rhetoric being thrown around is in response to the Marcus Smart back flip, or KU's response to it. KU players were saying things like "if we win, we'll just walk off the court with class," insinuating that the back flip was classless. Personally, I didn't have a problem with either the back flip or the dunk, and some have tried to rationalize it by saying one is during the game and one is after the game so they're different (which I disagree with) but my suspicions are KU is getting that thrown back in their face because of how they acted all offended. And if that's the case, well unfortunately you reap what you sow.

As to the rest of your post - spot on as usual. I can't count the number of times I just gasped "wow" while watching EJ last night. I was in complete awe.

hawk_of_ages 1 year, 8 months ago

I didn't see anywhere near the vitriol about the backflip that we've seen about EJ's dunk. Personally I don't care about either one.

JayHawkFanToo 1 year, 8 months ago

He was going after the refs while they were leaving. If you are going to to go after the refs, do it during the game and take your "T" like HC Self did.
Having said that, I believe he has done a great job with the players he has.

crazyed 1 year, 8 months ago

Coach Hoiberg is a good young coach and given time will be a great old coach. He does have a good team and I don't want to see us play them a third time. Just glad KU won again and should win out the rest of the way.

jhawkrulz 1 year, 8 months ago

What about ISU throwing things at the KU players after the game...

Kent Kossoy 1 year, 8 months ago

While I would generally agree that the dunk should not have occurred, I have know ISU fans to be classless for many years. When I lived in Iowa, Iowa was a better collection of fans than ISU. The classless fans deserved the dunk.

Benjamin Piehler 1 year, 8 months ago

I just hope the fans aren't abusive when the KU ladies visit tomorrow...

JayHawkFanToo 1 year, 8 months ago

Never apologize, it's a sign of weakness - NCIS Special Agent Leroy Jethro Gibbs.

jaybate 1 year, 8 months ago

Jesse,

I have to say I just have no clue how long Self will coach.

I am inclined to think he may go longer than he thinks, for the same reason many coaches do: its one of the best ways to make a difference in other persons' lives.

At the same time, the older Self gets, the less he will enjoy manipulating players emotions into great performances.

Its a toss up right now, so its probably best to take him at his word and say he will quit in 5-10 years once he's got Tyler set in what ever career Tyler chooses.

dynamitehawk 1 year, 8 months ago

That's a very wise comment. JB are you a parent? I know I would love to support my sons and retire when they get out of college.

Kent Richardson 1 year, 8 months ago

Very insightful regarding a long term look at Self. If I am seeing what you mean about manipulating emotions it does take a toll and when you are down it can seem like being disingenious which is probably against the grain with Self. It is akin to dangling a carrot as motivation for getting good grades or results. It is a short term fix, which has its place, but is no substitute for learning to play under control and together. Once your play the latter way it is sustainable and consistent and more rewarding for all involved. Alas, we are talking about 18 - 22 year old people who may or may not get it.

Mike Mainzer 1 year, 8 months ago

Objectively speaking the no call on EJ should have been a charge considering Niang had better position than when Withey picked up the charge. Instead of calling the holding foul I would like to see the final 5.2 seconds play out as EJ passes to a wide open Tharpe who buries the three to win the game outright without OT.

Classless or not, EJ shouldn't have dunk the ball and just dribbled it out. I doubt he goes for the dunk in Allen and instead shows some senior leadership and runs out the clock. At the very least the dunk gives ISU more bulletin board material. They were beaten twice in OT, but the dunk escalates it to a personal level of disrespecting them on their home court. KU may face them again in the conf tourney and if so you hope it doesn't turn into a chippy game or that EJ isn't the victim of a cheap shot. Despite his struggles, he's better than that - it's something the Morris Twins would do.

dynamitehawk 1 year, 8 months ago

Sad deal about those kids who tweeted ugliness, too.

Todd 1 year, 8 months ago

I have to say, if KU wasn't involved, I would have felt sorry for those fans. Seeing their reactions reminded me of how we've all felt after a tournament loss. But, that's how things go. Go KU.

BainDread 1 year, 8 months ago

Recently added to my list of things to be thankful for....My team's basketball court doesn't have a seed corn ad painted on it.

During Elijah's interview, the fans could be heard booing. Does anyone know if they were booing the fan who was attacking Coach Self, or were they booing the policeman who intervened?

JHawkIDoc 1 year, 8 months ago

When I watched the EJ interview and heard the intense booing in the background I put it together that the fans were booing Melvin and not coach. I think ISU fans are almost on par with their intensity as AFH fans; they just haven't enjoyed enough success to be refined into "classy". On the other hand they drive me nuts when they whine /moan about every non call during the game. KSU is the same way. As KU fans I think we're a pretty sophisticated basketball audience, yet we (I may be the loudest at it) are also very quick to let the Zebras know about missed hacks and walks. I think ISU is going to be great competition as long as Hoiberg is around. It should be fun. Aside: Too bad Mizzerable is having such an all around lousy year in the SEC.

bad_dog 1 year, 8 months ago

Aside from scoring 39 points, what exactly did Elijah do to ISU? You can complain about the dunk with some merit (e.g. poor judgment/sportsmanship), but that certainly doesn't come anywhere near justifying the BS involving Melvin trying to confront HCBS or the rascist tweets about Elijah or the tweets threatening to attack the KU bus with "30 bullets".

As for the conduct of KU's fans with respect to NU, I don't recall the incident. Nothing justifies behaving like this either. Having said that, NU fans were often very obnoxious and gloated about how their team would/just had run the score up. KU finally took care of the problem the right way; beating them by the biggest margin in their school history.

mandomax 1 year, 8 months ago

that fan that rushed Self was jumping up and down right on the sideline all game, yelling at refs and exclaiming outrage when calls didn't go ISU's way. I noticed him going crazy pretty much the whole game. Makes sense he was the one who got a little heated. You can see him clearly in the highlight video above at the 1:38 mark on the bottom of the screen.

woodscolt 1 year, 8 months ago

Can self win 1000 games? How about getting 512 this year.

Ohiohawkfan6188 1 year, 8 months ago

LarryNative-I agree that the KU fans are loud and zealous, but not classless. I was at AFH for the loss to OSU and the backflip. The fans were loud during the game and appropriately so. After the game, there weren't choruses of boos during Travis Ford's interview (and he's NOT a classy, likeable guy like Hoiberg). The fans allowed him to enjoy his moment in the sun, even when he took his time posing for OSU fan photos courtside. The fans in the Fieldhouse are a pretty classy bunch.

rockchalk_dpu 1 year, 8 months ago

Should Elijah have dunked that, probably no, but I look at it like a late game score in football. The offense usually will run junk plays to kill clock and end the game. If the defense has a lapse and lets them run one in, I wouldn't expect a player to fall down at the 1 yard line if he has a chance to score. In that example, the team and fans have nothing to be mad about since it's their job to stop it.

In this game, if Iowa State throws even a semblance of a defense at him, he likely slows up and just winds out the clock dribbling around center court. Instead, Iowa State just stood there and did nothing so he took it to the hole. As other posters have said, it could have been worse, he could have spotted up for 3 to go for an even 40. (If he had, then I'd be mad at him)

If you don't want someone scoring on you, play D and stop it.

jay_cheese 1 year, 8 months ago

People keep forgetting that they were the ones that chanted WE WANT KANSAS. Well you got us alright and played an amazing game....even set a couple records. But, it wasn't enough at the end. Talk is cheap.

Classless is throwing stuff on the court and at our players. I've been at Hilton for our last few match ups, their fans hate us like we win everything. Oh wait, we do. Only one way to stop that but it didn't happen this night. Being hated is a major compliment...but you don't need to cross the line. Didn't expect to see fan replacements for missou but they seem to lowering themselves nicely to that niche. Rockchalk