Week 4 Big 12 picks: Will Mizzou cover 22-point spread at OU?

I feel the need for a baseball-inspired lead-in to the blog this week after seeing an advanced screening of 'Moneyball' last night in Kansas City, Mo.

Very enjoyable film, especially for baseball dorks like myself. Brad Pitt was a very believable Billy Beane, the Oakland A's general manager who adopted the sabermetric philosophy of Kansas University graduate Bill James. There's even a brief reference to Lawrence in the film, when going over James' rise to baseball relevance. Take note.

Pitt, in true Ocean's 10-11-12 style, is frequently seen eating in countless scenes, which was pretty funny. It was also quite comical to hear the theater applaud the portrayal of the Kansas City Royals comeback against the protagonist Oakland A's in a game toward the end of the 2002 regular season.

I won't get into spoilers. It's a movie that's definitely worth your hard-earned cash, however. Anyone else seen it yet?

You know how much I love lists, so here are my favorite baseball movies of all-time:

1. Bull Durham
  2. The Natural
  3. Field of Dreams
  4. Moneyball
  5. Eight Men Out

Thoughts?

Let's move to Conference Chatter's regularly-scheduled programming, meaning it's time for week 4 picks in the Big 12. Here's how my record stands:

Season, straight up: 21-4
Season, vs. spread: 11-8

Saturday

No. 7 Oklahoma State at No. 8 Texas A&M, 2:30 p.m.

Line: Texas A&M by 4
Pick: vs line: Texas A&M; straight up: Texas A&M
One-line reason: In conference game of the week, the Aggies (41.50 points per game) and Cowboys (52.33 ppg, third in country) should score a lot of points, but Oklahoma State's defense (27 points surrendered per game) hasn't shown much of anything this season.

Kansas State at Miami (Fla.), 2:30 p.m.
Line: Miami by 12
Pick: vs. line: Kansas State; straight up: Miami
One-line reason: The Hurricanes played well last season in beating Ohio State, 24-6, at home, but the 'U' doesn't seem like a juggernaut. K-State should be able to keep it close.

Nevada at Texas Tech, 6 p.m.
Line: Texas Tech by 19
Pick: vs. line: Texas Tech; straight up: Texas Tech
One-line reason: For reference, Nevada lost at Oregon in week 1, 69-20. Texas Tech, coming off a dominating 59-13 performance that saw quarterback Seth Doege go 40-44 (the 90.9 completion percentage was a national record for quarterbacks with at least 40 completions) for 401 yards and five touchdowns, shouldn't have any problems.

Rice at No. 17, Baylor, 6 p.m.
Line: Baylor by 20.5
Pick: vs. line: Rice; straight up: Baylor
One-line reason: Rice lost, 34-9, in week 1 at Texas, but followed that up with a 24-22 victory over Purdue. The Owls have had two weeks to prepare for Baylor QB Robert Griffin (41-of-49, 624 yards, eight TDs, 0 INTs in two games). Griffin may continue to be dominant, but 20.5 is a significant spread.

Missouri at No. 1 Oklahoma, 7 p.m.

Line: Oklahoma by 22
Pick: vs. line: Missouri; straight up: Oklahoma
One-line reason: This is the most interesting line of the week. OU, which carries the nation's longest home winning streak at 37 consecutive games, doesn't lose at home. But yikes, 22 points? MU hung with Arizona State on the road (37-30, OT). Of course, OU is a superior opponent, but I'm gong to give Missouri's defense, which surrenders only 14.33 points per game, a chance to keep the Tigers in this one. For three quarters.

That should be all for now, folks. As always, discuss.

;

Comments

Kc Ticketguy 2 years, 7 months ago

Dude... Your picks are going down in flames!! I hope you didn't actually bet these picks.

KGphoto 2 years, 7 months ago

I'm sorry, I'm rubbing my eyes here. Did you leave off Bad News Bears?

They are definitely fighting for the top spot against Bull Durham. I think I just guessed your age. Or at least I nailed down that you never saw the 70's. That's okay. And I will add a couple more here you will know.

No particular order except these last ones probably do go at least after Field of Dreams on your list. I like the top three with the BNB inclusion making it four.

Fever Pitch: If for nothing else, the fact that they had to change the ending to match up with the actual curse reverse. It's just too incredible. But it's also a hilarious angle on the fans, and a nice soundtrack.

Cobb: Perfect casting of Tommy Lee Jones

Damn Yankees: Just kidding. I can't stand musicals.

How about bad ones? Babe. Angel's in the Outfield. The Fan

Oh, and I don't care who wins in the BigBang this week since KU is off. So I'll go outside and pick another game. I've been on their bandwagon since last season.

21 Clemson over #11 Florida St.

The line is 2. I'll take that.

Robert Brock 2 years, 7 months ago

Stoops is being kind when he says it is not about revenge. It is. OU 56, MU 10.

texashawk10 2 years, 7 months ago

I was shocked when I saw the OU-MU line was as big as it was, 22 is a lot of points and I would be tempted to take OU, but this is a payback game so OU could win this one by 30. I personally would love to see OU destroy Missouri (what KU fan doesn't enjoy seeing MU get blown out) so I'll go with what I want to see happen.

A&M and OSU should be a great matchup and unfortunately I'll only be able to see about the first half of the game (going to an Astros game because there's a decent giveaway), but I like A&M to cover. I think they'll win by a TD even though I'd love to see them get blown out in every game the rest of the way.

KState and Miami, give me the Canes all day long.

Tech should be putting the fear of god into the KU secondary again (next week is going to about as ugly as last week), give me Tech by 30+

Baylor will destroy Rice and beat them by about 40. Baylor will hang at least 50 on a Rice defense ranked in the 100's and their defense will shut down a Rice offense ranked in the 100's. Baylor has this one covered by halftime (possibly even the end of the first quarter)

DevilHawk 2 years, 7 months ago

Re: OU - Mizzou Line:

The line is probably as high as it is because ASU's errors gave Mizzou many of their points and allowed Mizzou back into the game.

ASU was up 30-16 with 14:23 remaining in the game.

On Mizzou's next drive, they got one first down and then went 3-and-out. However, ASU's returner fumbled the ball - placing Mizzou at the ASU-32.

On that same drive, ASU forced another 3-and-out, but was called for pass interference, which allowed Mizzou to continue with a fresh set of downs from the ASU-25. Mizzou took the risk and scored a touchdown on the next play. (30-23)

On ASU's drive, a holding penalty pushed them from 3rd-and-6 to 3rd-and-16. They gained 15 yards, but it wasn't quite enough for the 1st-down.

Without the turnover and two untimely (and unnecessary) penalties, ASU likely wins the game 37-23.

Additionally, OU is a better and more disciplined team, and I think that Mizzou is still without its primary running backs.

Consider: OU averages 4.5 penalties for 17.8 yards (Tulsa & @FSU) Mizzou averages 20 penalties for 97.5 yards (Miami-OH & @ASU)(omit Western Illinois)

Phoggin_Loud 2 years, 7 months ago

Off topic, but has anyone else noticed that ticket prices for next week's TT game are $25-$97??

Who's paying $97 friggin dollars per ticket to watch Texas Tech & KU??

Just curious.

KU_alum_2001 2 years, 7 months ago

I haven't seen Moneyball yet but surely it can't be better than Major League, can it? If so, that means it's a d*mn good movie.