Wednesday, May 29, 2019

Quentin Grimes withdraws from NBA draft pool, plans to transfer from KU

Kansas guard Quentin Grimes (5) and Kansas State guard Barry Brown Jr. (5) run down a loose ball during the second half, Monday, Feb. 25, 2019 at Allen Fieldhouse.

Kansas freshman Quentin Grimes is not staying in the NBA draft, but he is not returning to KU either.

Through a release from the Kansas basketball offices, Grimes on Wednesday evening announced his intention to transfer to another university for the 2019-20 season.

In accordance with NCAA transfer rules, Grimes, who did not immediately return the Journal-World’s text message requests for comment on Wednesday night, will sit out what would have been his sophomore season and will then either be eligible to leave for the 2020 NBA Draft or play at his new school.

Grimes becomes the 20th Jayhawk to transfer out of the KU program since 2004, — vs. 14 transfers in — is the third player from the 2018-19 team to transfer (joining Charlie Moore, DePaul, and K.J. Lawson, Tulane) and is by far the biggest name and most highly ranked prep prospect on the list of players to leave Self’s program via the transfer route.

The former 5-star prospect from The Woodlands, Texas, came to Kansas as a likely one-and-done prospect and a projected lottery pick in the 2019 NBA Draft.

Now, if his decision to transfer is an indication that he plans to play at least one more season of college ball before turning pro, Grimes, who just turned 19, will be in school at least three full seasons before making the jump to the NBA.

There’s no word yet on where Grimes will end up. He chose Kansas over Kentucky, Marquette and Texas.

In 36 games with the Jayhawks last season, the 6-foot-5 combo guard who played for Self on the USA Basketball U18 men’s national team at the FIBA Americas tournament last summer, averaged 8.4 points and 2.5 rebounds per game.

He shot 34 percent from 3-point range and 38.4 percent from the floor in 988 minutes while consistently searching for his breakthrough moment.

Many believed it came in his KU debut, when Grimes hit six 3-pointers in the Jayhawks’ season-opening victory over Michigan State at the Champions Classic last November, but the big, athletic guard never seemed to find his complete rhythm as the season went on.

Asked after the season if his inability to find his flow caused him to scratch his head, Grimes admitted to being caught off guard by his struggles.

“Yeah, I definitely was surprised, just knowing what I can do and my skill set and everything,” he told the Journal-World in March. “But it’s just a learning experience. You grow from it and learn from it and it’s definitely going to make me a better player. It’s tough just kind of knowing what you can do and everything you have inside of you and what you’ve worked for. But you can’t worry about that. You have to keep focusing on you and bettering yourself and just do what you can for the team.”

Earlier Wednesday, Self confirmed to the Journal-World that All-American junior forward Dedric Lawson would keep his name in the 2019 draft pool, a move that most expected the day Lawson declared for the draft.

With the final pieces of the decision puzzle now in place, next season’s team currently includes the following scholarship players: Seniors Udoka Azubuike and Mitch Lightfoot, juniors Marcus Garrett and Silvio De Sousa, sophomores Devon Dotson, Ochai Agbaji and David McCormack and freshmen Christian Braun, Issac McBride and Tristan Enaruna.

With former Michigan signee Jalen Wilson — 6-8, 210, 4 stars — slated to visit KU this weekend, the Jayhawks have three scholarships left to give out and the kind of depth and balance to be able to use those three scholarships on any number of players or positions.

Comments

Bryce Landon 1 month, 3 weeks ago

Well, I'm glad you enjoyed coaching him, Bill, because the rest of us didn't enjoy watching him much. Overhyped and underachieving. Let him go be someone else's problem.

Marius Rowlanski 1 month, 3 weeks ago

To tell the truth Bryce, it never looked like the uniform fit him anyways.

Sae Thirtysix 1 month, 3 weeks ago

Wish it could've worked for a return, yet understand / not surprised by this decision. QG - always a Jayhawk.

Ben Berglund 1 month, 3 weeks ago

I'm baffled by the decision to transfer. Seemed like he was pretty set to only play 1 year of college, seems like he would have a spot in our rotation next year, and now he'll be in college 3 years minimum. I wish the young man the best of luck, but frankly don't get it.

Dane Pratt 1 month, 3 weeks ago

Players usually transfer because they anticipate the lack of pt. Maybe he didn't see eye to eye with Bill. Whatever. I wish he would stay but I wish him no ill will.

Greg Bowles 1 month, 3 weeks ago

I can tell you the reason he is not returning to Kansas. I believe, that he didn't get the love he expected from Jayhawk nation. But, when you have a hyped up expectation coming in and fall way short, you're not going to get the respect you deserve. I said this in an earlier post and said that he would not return to KU. Not surprised, except the transfer makes no logical sense what so ever.

Tom Jones 1 month, 3 weeks ago

"I can tell you the reason he is not returning to Kansas."

Apparently, you cannot. Because he "didn't get love"? BAHAHAHAHAHAHAAA!!!

Marius Rowlanski 1 month, 3 weeks ago

Yeah, definitely not his reason for not returning but I think it may have played a part in transferring. He wasn't going to lose playing time to Garrett or Ochai unless one of them learned to shoot the three. But I thought he made it clear that he wasn't coming back. There was an article here that didn't say he was definitely leaving but it sure left that impression:

Grimes was never able to put it all together but I think the talent is real. Grimes never had a chance to win over many hard-core fans and there was definitely a difference between the comments towards Grimes/Dotson.

Personally, I was hoping he would come back. I don't believe it was all hype, I just think he needs more confidence. Unfortunately for us, there is no one to replace him who can score.

At least we have a point guard that can lead this team and Silvio can be the engine.

Chris DeWeese 1 month, 3 weeks ago

He knew he wouldn't be PG. He won't get drafted, so he's gotta go somewhere that'll let him be PG so he can show out.

Marius Rowlanski 1 month, 3 weeks ago

How did you come to that conclusion Chris?

David Howell 1 month, 2 weeks ago

He was finally faced with the facts that although he was a McDonald's All-American his freshman year was mostly a flop. On top of that from what I read his NBA tryouts were an even bigger flop. The extra year will allow him to improve his shooting and dribbling skills !

Now whether or not they will ever be sufficient enough to get onto an NBA roster remains to be seen ................ I do not see a NBA point guard in Grimes.

Craig Carson 1 month, 3 weeks ago

I certainly didnt expect this.....I guess technically, Grimes was a OAD, we only had him at KU for 1 year LOL....least Dotson came back..he was the more important one anyway....I wish Grimes success where ever he goes..unless he plays on a KU opponent LOL

Dane Pratt 1 month, 3 weeks ago

If he's committed to at least two more years of college I'd rather see him in Lawrence than somewhere else. He may not have lived up to his hype but players mature and improve. That's college ball.

Mike Riches 1 month, 3 weeks ago

I am surprised by this, not because he withdrew from the draft, but transferring to another school is somewhat baffling to me. He doesn't have much competition at his position for next year, and why play the waiting game?? Not to mention all things he had at Kansas that he won't find at most schools. Maybe he'll look at joining the Australian league too..

Stephen Dobelbower 1 month, 3 weeks ago

I have a suspicion Bill showed him the door, but was graceful enough to offer his family to save face by making it look like they chose to transfer. Why would a OAD sit a year to play anywhere? Even Kentucky or Duke? Like they would have him? Something smells. I would have liked to see him play for another year, but I suspect Bill has reason's for not wanting him back. Would love to know the truth....

Brian Skelly 1 month, 3 weeks ago

+1 and many more. I think it's this. Think of the guys who've transferred or gone pro and it's all magnanimous. But if it really was, that guy probably isn't leaving.

Steve Quatrocky 1 month, 3 weeks ago

He believed all the high school hype, was never humble enough to "get it", and was so sure he'd be a One and Done he may not have done his Spring academics. Given that Adidas has been to court already, I wouldnt be surprised to see him transfer to a Nike school, as its obvious the NCAA doesnt want to know anything about Duke and Arizona, and can probably still get a "signing bonus" under the table. EGO is his main problem. Ochai gets the chance this year instead of guaranteeing Q the starts.

Tom Jones 1 month, 3 weeks ago

Showed him the door?

It's probably just a coincidence that Dotson coming back = Grimes leaving...oh wait, Grimes wants to play PG like he will at the next level.

Zeik Montellioso 1 month, 2 weeks ago

It's not about Dotson or the PG position. If Grimes was truly good at PG, there would be no hesitation from HCBS from playing both Dotson and Grimes at the same time. In fact Bill loves to play with double PG's on the floor.

Mike Hart 1 month, 3 weeks ago

Grimes has commented repeatedly in May about how he thinks he can play point guard... and that Kansas has him playing off the call, so it didn’t really showcase his entire skill set. My guess... is that with Dotson coming back, he wasn’t going to get that point guard opportunity. Notice how Grimes’ decision came after Dotson’s... coincidentally? I think he will transfer where he thinks he can handle the point. How he plans to DEFEND point guards is another story...

Jeff Coffman 1 month, 3 weeks ago

His 3 point shot just didn't materialize. 3 years with BS would be good. I guess DII he could play immediately. I'm surprised he isnt going international over the transfer route.

We wish you well as you embark on your next phase.

Jay Scott 1 month, 3 weeks ago

Svi, Selden, Andrew White, Brannen Greene, Frankamp, Mason, Tyshawn, EJ, all shot worse from 3 as freshmen.

Marius Rowlanski 1 month, 3 weeks ago

Greene, not one of Bill's best decisions.

Drew Doerfler 1 month, 3 weeks ago

i'm sorry, but this makes zero sense.....that's the loyalty you show to a coach that gave you every chance and opportunity in the world when you really didn't earn it or deserve it with your play? You transfer from one of the top schools because the coach started you every game and let you have a ton of playing time that you really didn't do anything with? I'm sorry, but don't let the door hit you on the butt on the way out.......I had such high hopes for Grimes going into the season, but he was average at best and I couldn't really tell you one aspect where he actually excelled.....bye

Steve Quatrocky 1 month, 3 weeks ago

Agreed, even if he had all the talent in the world, he wasnt teachable due to his own ego and his parents too. He had his chance, got the starts his freshman year even when he didnt deserve them. Its somebody else's turn this year. Ochai is a better fit, a team player who has just as high a ceiling and is more likely to get there because he is coachable.

Marius Rowlanski 1 month, 3 weeks ago

Obviously not enough talent to play PG especially now as positionless basketball is becoming the norm. And you're right that he had plenty of time to show off his skills.

Armen Kurdian 1 month, 2 weeks ago

Q's a head-scratcher. The decision to transfer, sit out a season, then play another...well, maybe weighing that against what might have been limited playing time at KU, I guess. But sacrificing a year is a risk. Maybe he'll go somewhere he can be a big fish in a smaller pond so that he stands out more. Always hope players succeed, nothing against him.

Lance Iamnot 1 month, 2 weeks ago

Or, maybe the feedback the NBA gave Grimes was that Grimes needed to be in a different college program than KU in order to better develop the things he needs to develop. What would you do if you were in Grimes' shoes and NBA teams were giving you this feedback? And, just maybe, HCBS agreed with that feedback, because Self I think shoots straight with kids in this critical stuff with his players' futures. Again, what would you do then?

Sam Meyer 1 month, 3 weeks ago

This smells to me like HCBS didn't really want him back. It makes no sense for him to transfer. He now has to wait 2 additional years (realistically) to get to the NBA rather than getting into the gym and working towards next season. I wish him the best. He may have been a disappointment on the court, but he did keep his nose clean and didn't disgrace the university.

Adam Bengtson 1 month, 3 weeks ago

This is a kid when things got tough he runs. I can see his character right in front of us. Then to wait till last minute on pull your name out day...what a coward. He knew this the whole time. Really needs to re-evaluate his attitude. Dumb decisions after dumb decisions. Yeah transferring isn’t going to fix your game. I wanted to see this kid comeback and improve, but he ran. Find some other coach that will suck up to your high school career.

Drew Doerfler 1 month, 3 weeks ago

and in a surprise twist, Dedric comes back to show NBA scouts that he can play the 3 which is why Grimes left......if only.....lol

Steve Corder 1 month, 3 weeks ago

Yes, Stephen, why would a OAD sit out year 2 as a practice player at a D1 school? Something is not kosher here.

Michael Sillman 1 month, 3 weeks ago

I agree with Mike Hart that he probably wants to go somewhere that he can be a point guard due to NBA feedback. Clearly he must also want a change of scenery. To tell the truth it might be good for him. He’s taking the Malik Newman route.

Drew Doerfler 1 month, 3 weeks ago

which still makes no sense.....he has to sit out a year when transferring....if he were to stay at KU for another 2 years and had pro point guard skills, he would be KU's starting point guard as a junior just like if he had transferred

Martin Rosenblum 1 month, 3 weeks ago

He left his mark on our program this year. But, the mark was not what it should or could have been. Regardless, the Vick departure had more of an impact on the season than the under-achievements of Grimes. Would he be better on the 2019-2020 Jayhawk team? probably not with the SDS return as well as a healthy Dok and an improved McCormack. Not to mention the infusion of new blood. Ochai probably had a better year than Grimes in many ways and can only get better too. He was in a slot that many have occupied in the past and left for new horizons. It will be interesting to see where he lands and how he is utilized. If KJ Lawson was able to find a new team in Tulane, with his late/post season improvements, Grimes may find himself hard-pressed to end up somewhere other than the likes of Creighton or even a St. Louis Univ.

Derek Bonin 1 month, 3 weeks ago

I know Creighton is not a blue blood program, but I actually think they would be a pretty good fit for Q at this point. With so many three point shooters around him it would take some of the pressure off, and Creighton's wide open, transition style offense would open up more opportunities to show his athleticism. Plus, Big East basketball receives more than enough exposure with their FOX deal.

Marius Rowlanski 1 month, 3 weeks ago

Gonzaga might be the best option for him.

Layne Pierce 1 month, 3 weeks ago

Perhaps he doesn't get along with Dotson. Sad thing is his overall game was just beginning to come around, last 10 games he was generally better.

He was still the best 3pt shooter on team after Vick. 34% is not great, but it is better than the KU average. In the games we lost, we shot often under 30%. So big question for next year is who should be taking the 3pt shots at crucial times in the game.

As long as Grimes doesn't go to Texas, I could care less. Hasta la vista, baby!

RCJH

David Robinett 1 month, 3 weeks ago

Bill guaranteed him a starting spot last year and withdrew that guarantee for the upcoming year. That’s why he’s transferring.

Kyle Berthusen 1 month, 3 weeks ago

This is exactly it. He may lose his spot to Agbaji AND McBride

Steve Quatrocky 1 month, 3 weeks ago

He was so overconfident about being a OAD, he may have not taken care of the academics either. I think we all agree, getting Dotson back was more important, and going back to playing two bigs, the minutes arent there to guarantee him the starts and PT this year.

Michael Sillman 1 month, 3 weeks ago

We benefited greatly from the same decision made by Malik Newman. Why criticize this kid?

Town Thomas 1 month, 3 weeks ago

It's obvious Grimes waited for Dotson's decision. It would be the best scenario for him if DD stayed in the draft. I could see an agreement between Coach Self and Grimes' family. If DD did not come back, QG would be KU's starting point guard next season. He is a good point guard and KU would still be fine. However, DD decides to come back and he has the priority (this may also be a condition for DD to come back - not to play off guard). So Coach Self won't let QG run point in that case. I could actually see that Self support QG to transfer if his family really wanted him to play point guard. There should not be any hard feelings between both parties since this is quite understandable. I wish QG all the best.

Barry Weiss 1 month, 3 weeks ago

I was a fan of Q and really wanted him to come back. I think it would have clicked for him this year, but he does seem to have this desire to be the PG. He just does not strike me as that type, maybe because I've seen the quickness of Dotson. Q will always be a Jayhawk and I hope we do not have to face him in the future.

Brian Skelly 1 month, 3 weeks ago

I'd argue Grimes was the biggest mismatch of hype vs. actual production we've had in a hot shot Freshman recruit in a long time. He peaked the first game. Was alarmingly bad or mediocre for most of the season. He was better later in the year. If the idea of him playing point was true, he wasn't going to unseat Dotson. Im a little surprised but whatever. I really don't think we'll miss him, and I really dont think he's going to be a great NBA player. He's just a guy at best at the next level.

Brian Skelly 1 month, 2 weeks ago

I'd agree Jay, but if you remember, he had to SIT for a long time -- impermissible benefits I think -- and really never got on track. But your correct, the hype machine was in full bore for that kid as well.

Marius Rowlanski 1 month, 3 weeks ago

I think Jay is right but for me, Brannan Greene tops the list.

Ashwin Rao 1 month, 3 weeks ago

Love the story-lines emerging in this thread with mystery, suspense and intrigue that can rival a good novel. In reality, maybe Grimes just needed a change! :) Young kids' minds don't think logically sometimes, so I am not surprised by this decision.

I appreciate Q's being with the team last year, when things were quite tough all around. I want to wish him the best in his career moving forward!

Bob Thompson 1 month, 3 weeks ago

I had high hopes last year, but is seemed to me that the team never really played well together. I watched some of the games from a few years ago, and you could see the chemistry between the players that just never developed with last years team. We most likely will never know why, but to be a really good team you need to be a team. I think that is the reason we had so many transfer.

RJ King 1 month, 3 weeks ago

Other than Ochai, I just don't recall many smiles from this team. That is partly due to the challenges they faced (Dok's injury, Silvio waiting on the sidelines, Vicks antics, and freshman in the pressure cooker).

But Dotson usually had the look of a Frank Mason-type pitbull, while Quentin just looked like he wasn't having very much fun.

Barry Weiss 1 month, 2 weeks ago

true, the chemistry just was not there last year. I think Dotson steps up as the true leader this year and pushes the others to another b-12 championship.

Martin Rosenblum 1 month, 3 weeks ago

At least we didn't have a daddy being quoted and appearing to be the ringleader in this matter! Without that piece, it felt more like Quentin was calling the shots and not having to use his daddy as a hype man. Support is great at that age, but when it starts producing quotes to the media such as Hampton's dad "...we're not going back to high school...", etc., most people lose the "spirit" of a college-aged kid making decisions either well or poorly.

Jay Scott 1 month, 3 weeks ago

Grimes has talent. It's unfortunate that he didn't find a way to make a bigger and more consistent impact.

It seems that Grimes and HCBS are not in agreement about his role this coming season. How many of us did what was in our own best interests at that age? I hope he does well at a school we never face.

RJ King 1 month, 2 weeks ago

Maybe a conference switch, but close to home - like A&M, Houston, SMU? I don't know their roster make up. TCU will be without Jaylen Fisher (but that's this year).

I guess there's a chance he could sit out the year and then re-renter the draft? But I suppose teams will take the chance that they will have him for his junior year (like Malik).

Danny Hernandez 1 month, 3 weeks ago

Q transferring is a huge mistake and he will regret the decision. The young fella needs to mature, improve his game and mental outlook. Coach Self isn't a Coach Howland which is why Malik transferred. And both scenarios are not the same except for pulling out of the draft & then transferring. Malik could have played at Kansas one more year & most likely improved his draft selection. That is what Q could have achieved with one more year. Seems like Coach Self & Co wasted a year on the kid.But good luck to him wherever he may go. He was lights out against Mich State and could have been playing in MSG against Duke in November too! Oh well.

RJ King 1 month, 2 weeks ago

not really because that was due to a coaching change.

Andy Godwin 1 month, 3 weeks ago

Clearly Mr. Grimes has potential and one can only hope that he succeeds obtaining his dream. According to ESPN, he is the second rated player in the transfer portal (for players ineligible next season). A season that ended with no championships for the first time in a long while, it was clear the chemistry and talent level was not great. Vick was asked to leave, while KJ, Charlie, and now Q are transferring out of the program. As most know, scholarships are awarded for one year and must be renewed. Clearly with the high numbers of players that transfer out, Self and the players uses this as a way of reassessing the fit (20 players in 15 years). I personally don’t like the senior/redshirt junior rule that allows graduate to leave a program without sitting out (although Tarik Black was a great addition for a year, while Dwight Coleby, Jr. was a significant lose), but do endorse allowing players who are not happy in one program to transfer, sit out a year, get their academics in order, while learning a new system. Grimes has the talent to succeed, but under Self struggled mightily to play team defense which likely lead to underproduction at other facets of his game. If he finds a program where he is the top dog on offense and doesn’t have to play sophisticated defensive schemes he should do well.

Kurt Eskilson 1 month, 2 weeks ago

Was Vick asked to leave? Wasn't it his choice? It certainly appeared that Self held the door to return open for the first few weeks.

Pius Waldman 1 month, 2 weeks ago

Just remember opinions are not facts. Those that post share their thinking and some are speculating. I don't know the reason for Vick not finishing the season but to say Self kicked him out before the season ended would be hard to believe.

Mike Greer 1 month, 3 weeks ago

He didn't have a good freshman year, from the reports he didn't do well at the audition either, perhaps he's looking to wipe the slate clean and get a reboot. Maybe leaving KU and sitting out a year gives him the opportunity to "start over".

Michael Terry 1 month, 3 weeks ago

While a disappointment, it certainly comes as no surprise Grimes is choosing to transfer rather than return to KU. He obviously got some feedback from the NBA that he's nowhere close to being ready and would not be drafted. I think he also saw the writing on the wall that his minutes would be heavily impacted by the emergence of Ochai Agbaji, who many think will be drafted in the first round next year. I'm sure Bill Self told him if he were to return the minutes Grimes received last year would be up for grabs to whoever played best. That's unlike last year when Self was committed to Grimes even though many thought he didn't deserve the minutes he was playing. I'm sure Grimes wants to go somewhere where he is the man, where there is no threat someone will take his minutes. While his departure leaves us a little short on scholarship players I'm sure Self will find some complimentary pieces that should fit nicely with this team. We might want to even keep a scholarship open if we find someone like Silvio from two years ago who wants to leave high school mid year and join the team.

Glen Miller 1 month, 3 weeks ago

When in interviews you say that KU didn't utilize you properly and that you only got to show about 50% of what you could do........... I can't imagine Self was a fan of public statements like that. You don't get to play YOUR way when you go to a school, you have to play in a way that benefits the team. If he wanted to play the point, he shouldn't have come to Kansas. It was never really an option here. His handles to me don't translate to a PG, time will tell.

RJ King 1 month, 2 weeks ago

Example: the Warriors WITH Durant only got to show about 60-70% of what they can do. WITHOUT Durant, it's on full display - although it's hard to maintain that over the course of a season. That's why the argument as to whether they are better off or worse off without Durant is ridiculous. Of course they are better with KD!

Basketball combines teamwork, individual skill, substitutions, role players, and long seasons. I hope that Quentin can both personally excel in the future AND find a way to integrate into a team.

Glen Miller 1 month, 2 weeks ago

I never said the statements weren't true or didn't make sense..... I just think the timing was poor for them. If you watch the interview it was throwing shade at the University, like it was KU's fault he didn't play better. That's what I was getting at.

RJ King 1 month, 2 weeks ago

sorry Glen, I wasn't clear. I was agreeing with you, that if Quentin felt as though, "he only got to show about 50% of what he could do," then he could be right, however it falls short of acknowledging or accepting what the game of basketball is all about.

In a perfect world Kansas would've used him in exactly the capacity that he desired (whatever that was ...). But as we know, $h-t happens. And when it does - whether it's injuries, Dotson or Ochai performing better than expected, Vick being Vick ... or whatever ... then great players circle the wagon, protect each other, and do whatever is asked of them (Josh Jackson, Warriors, etc) for team success.

So I completely understood what you were getting at - that if Quentin inferred that KU held him back, it might be true, but it's not gonna please coaches or win fans. Was trying to enhance your comment, not refute it.

Bryce Landon 1 month, 2 weeks ago

I don't remember reading interviews like that. Where did you see those?

Michael Sillman 1 month, 3 weeks ago

To tell the truth, Self doesn’t even need to use all 13 scholarships. He never gives significant playing time to more than 7 guys anyway. It certainly seems possible that he may be operating on fewer scholarships once the NCAA finishes its investigation in a year or two.

Drew Doerfler 1 month, 3 weeks ago

it's not always just about the current years team....Self also has to have 4 year players in the system getting better and learning from year 1 to year 3 or 4.....which hasn't been a strong point of his lately.......

Titus Canby 1 month, 2 weeks ago

Can anyone tell me... If Grimes transfers to another D1 school and sits out, is he legally required by the NCAA to stay for the following year? Or can he sit out a year, then go to the NBA (or elsewhere)?

Sam Meyer 1 month, 2 weeks ago

The NCAA can't force anyone to play in the NCAA against their will. He could transfer to an NAIA (hypothetically) or play overseas if he wanted to.

RJ King 1 month, 2 weeks ago

I think he can enter the draft at age 20 regardless of how many years he plays in college.

Keith Gellar 1 month, 2 weeks ago

Very disappointed to see all the hate towards this young man. Things didn't workout for him and every one is quick to blame him when they don't even know all the details. How about Bill Self take some accountability? These players are't just someone you use and throw. Clearly, there was a gap in expectations and communication and a whole lot of mismanagement and at the end of the day- thats all on Self. Yet- the old faithful give him a pass chanting "self can do no harm".

RJ King 1 month, 2 weeks ago

I think there is a bit of snarky "hate" from a few who are probably just as unhappy with themselves as they are with Quentin. I think many, many more are supporting Quentin unconditionally, because he seems like a good kid who is trying to figure out his career.

However, I think nearly all of us are a bit confused, because the situation that makes the most sense FROM THE OUTSIDE would be for him to return to KU for another year. We are surprised, baffled, and curious because we've now been following this kid and his dreams for over a year.

It's not negativity as long as we understand that we all have NO CLUE what else went on - or is going on - in his world these past couple of years. Closure feels good, but we all may have to do without on this one.

Bill Lamson 1 month, 2 weeks ago

I agree Keith..too much harsh criticism, and not enough on the staff...which in my opinion just needs to stop recruiting OAD's entirely. They are not helping us win championships...or anyone else for that matter.
My question is, after Dotson leaves next year, who do we have on the bench or coming in next year to run the point? Did Grimes see the writing on the wall that even if he stays 2 more years at KU he still wasn't likely to play PG?

Freddie Garza 1 month, 2 weeks ago

How can you say that Grimes wouldn't have been given every opportunity to play as a "point guard" when Coach Self has a LONG history of recruiting AND PLAYING TOGETHER 2 point guards at the same time? I mean, it wasn't a decade ago when Devonte Graham (a point guard) was starting along side Frank Mason (aka ANOTHER point guard). Russell Robinson and Mario Chalmers, anyone?

Under Self, the 2 backcourt positions are generally interchangeable. The harsh reality is this though: Grimes is in NO way a natural point guard, and doesn't shoot the ball consistently well enough to be an NBA 2 guard (though he DOES have the size to play either position).

The guy's got a LONG ways to go to regain his previous stature and reputation out of high school, and the fact that he cuts and runs like this speaks VOLUMES about his intestinal fortitude. Just goes to show, you can hype a high school player as much as you like, it really doesn't mean a thing.

As I've said before, and it may be harsh, but I think it's true...his decision to leave is addition by subtraction.

Jerry Walker 1 month, 2 weeks ago

Sure, there are a lot of unknowns about Q's performance last year and his decision to xfer...but there is one elephant in the room that trumps all others.

Slow feet.

He has talent and skills and an emerging 3pt shot that will improve with age...but...unless he finds a way to drastically improve his quickness...he'll end up as a nice college player with a really slim chance of ever playing in the NBA.

Lance Iamnot 1 month, 2 weeks ago

It turns out that KU had two of the slowest players in Grimes and Lawson in college basketball, and man it showed all season.

Lance Iamnot 1 month, 2 weeks ago

Great move by Grimes and very mature as well, a wonderful talent that had a very tough freshman year who would do well with a reset in another college program instead of the Turkish League, or some other remote god-forsaken outpost.

Stuart Corder 1 month, 2 weeks ago

It’s never pleasant to be told “you aren’t good enough”, especially when it happens for the first time.

It wouldn’t surprise me if the first time he heard that was from HCBS this season, and then again by the NBA.

Grimes has the talent, but he hasn’t put it all together yet. His decision to withdrawal from the draft and transfer away leads me to speculate that he wants to go be the biggest fish in a much smaller pond.

If the NBA is his goal, I can’t figure out how sitting out a year to leave HOF Coach Self, the media showcase that is KU basketball/Big XII, and an opportunity to build upon an underwhelming (relative to the hype) Freshman year will help him reach that goal.

Alas, the young man has made his decision and we must wish him the best of luck and bid him adieu.

Mike Greer 1 month, 2 weeks ago

Coach Self has taken a beating on this board for tha amount of playing time Grimes apparently undeservedly received. However, how do you expect him to recruit the "best" players, if he doesn't show he's willing to give them the opportunity to adjust to college ball? As a coach, I believe you can only have so many Diallo's, (top recuits that don't get much playing time), and be able to attract talent in the future. These guys all want to play, and most want to play now. Players like Mason and Graham are few and far between.