Originally published November 18, 2018 at 10:12a.m., updated November 18, 2018 at 09:38p.m.

It’s official: Les Miles becomes KU’s next head football coach

University of Kansas football coach Les Miles smiles as he addresses the media Sunday, Nov. 18, 2018, at Hadl Auditorium.

Two weeks after Jeff Long first stood in Hadl Auditorium and detailed what he hoped to accomplish in his Kansas football coaching search, the first-year athletic director returned Sunday night with an old colleague in tow.

Just as the buzz throughout the past several days indicated he would, Long introduced Les Miles as KU’s 39th football coach, presenting his new high-profile employee with one of Miles’ signature white baseball caps — except this one came with a KU logo instead of LSU.

After thanking Long and KU’s chancellor, Douglas Girod, in his first public appearance as the Jayhawks’ head coach, Miles, who had been out of the industry since LSU fired him four games into the 2016 season, spoke of a brief five-minute introduction he made to KU’s players earlier in the afternoon and how that made it a “wonderful” day for him professionally.

“When I walked in, I saw that familiar smile, the enjoyment that they are having in college football,” Miles shared. “They're buddies, looking at each other like, ‘Who is this guy?’” he joked. “I enjoyed it greatly.”

At the press conference, Long, the man who sought out Miles and lured him to Lawrence with a five-year deal that will pay him $2.775 million a year, said turning the program over to Miles (142-55 in 15-plus seasons at LSU and Oklahoma State) “immediately and dramatically” improved the football program’s national profile.

“But more importantly, behind all this national recognition there's a leader that loves the game of football, believes in what the game does to build character in our young men, and has prepared men for life after football,” Long said of Miles, whom he first worked alongside at the University of Michigan in the 1980s. “His record of success on the field is only matched by his love for the student-athletes that play the game for him. The combination of a leader of young men, a detailed and driven football coach, a man with an infectious personality who cares deeply about the young men he coaches, will be a combination that will surely lead to breaking the cycle and bringing football success to the University of Kansas.”

Podcast episode

KU Sports Hour

Les Miles is really KU's next football coach

Moments after Kansas introduced Les Miles as the program's 40th head coach in team history, the KU Sports staff did an emergency podcast at Allen Fieldhouse. KU football reporter Benton Smith is joined by Matt Tait and Shane Jackson to discuss Miles' introductory press conference and where the Jayhawks go ...

Download podcast

Miles left LSU as the school’s second-winningest coach, going 114-34 overall, with a 7-4 record in bowl games. The Tigers averaged 10 wins a year and won more games from 2005 to 2015 than any other SEC program during that span. Following a 13-0 regular season in 2011, Miles was named National Coach of the Year by the Associated Press and others.

Prior to his time in Baton Rouge, La., Miles worked in Big 12 country, as the head coach at Oklahoma State, from 2001 to 2004. During his time there, the Cowboys went 28-21 and reached three bowl games, going 1-2.

A two-time conference title-winning coach in the SEC and a national champion during his 11-plus seasons at LSU, Miles left behind semi-retirement, and is now charged with reviving a staggering program that has failed to win more than three games in a season since 2009.

“I can tell you that I will promise to give you my sincerest efforts,” Miles asserted in front of an auditorium filled with reporters, television cameras, KU donors and various athletic department administrators, as well as his family — wife Kathy and daughters Smacker and Macy. Neither of Miles’ sons, Manny and Ben, were able to attend, as they were with their respective football teams. Manny is a backup quarterback at North Carolina and Ben plays fullback at Texas A&M.;

On the day he arrived in Lawrence, Miles, who has led two far more prominent programs, insisted his newest job is a “great” one.

“I think the fan base has reached out in any number of ways to make it clear that this is a special place,” Miles said, “and I would like to finish a career with championships. The guy sitting to my left (Long), that's who he is and that's who I am. So we would like that opportunity to continue and to play championship-style football.”

Whether KU will be able to attain that level of success remains to be seen. As of now, Miles is on board through the 2023 season.

Per his five-year deal, If another school were to lure Miles away from Kansas before his contract expires, or if Miles decided to terminate his employment with KU for another reason, the coach (or the hypothetical school that wants to sign him) would owe KU the remaining sum of the contract.

Should KU decide to fire Miles and terminate the contract without just cause, the university would owe the coach the sum of his money left on the deal.

Miles signed the contract on Friday.

KU’s new coach first visited Lawrence when he worked as an assistant at Colorado from 1982 to 1986, and came through as an assistant (1995-1997) and head coach (2001-2004) at Oklahoma State.

“We drove down into the stadium and I looked around and I said, ‘Man, it's beautiful.’ I said, ’It’s green, it is a spectacular place.’ I said, ‘Why aren't they more successful?’ And I promise you,” Miles added, “I looked at that and carried that thought with me as we went. I can tell you that as I researched this opportunity, I wanted to represent a school that had a great academic background. In other words, that they would offer to a student a great curriculum and an opportunity to graduate with a credential that would power their career.”

As incoming coach, Miles replaces outgoing fourth-year coach David Beaty, who will coach his final game on Friday, against Texas (11 a.m. kickoff).

Incentive payments in Les Miles' contract:

• National championship game appearance - $1,000,000

• CFP game participant - $350,000

• New Year's 6 game participant - $100,000

• Other Bowl game - $75,000

• Big 12 Championship game appearance - $100,000

• Win 6 games in a season - one-year, one-time rollover extension

• Coach of the Year (AP, USA Today, Sporting News, Home Depot, AFCA) - $50,000

• Big 12 Coach of the Year - $50,000

• Broyles Award for Assistant Coach - $15,000

• Team GPA 2.65 or higher - $25,000

• Team GPA 2.75 or higher - $50,000

Comments

Max Ledom 4 months ago

This is, in every sense of the phrase, a HOME. RUN. HIRE.

We have a National Championship winning coach coming to Kansas. This almost doesn’t seem real. These type of things don’t happen to Kansas Football.

One of the greatest coaches of all time, on the hill. Time to re-up those season tickets boys! Saddle up the horses! The Hat Is On The Hill! GIDDYUP

But in all seriousness you have to think Memorial Stadium is sold out for the first game next year right? That’s the star power Les Miles brings to the table just for himself.

LETS GO. ROCK CHALK JAYHAWK.

Bee Bee 4 months ago

The MAD HATTER to the HILL, baby!!!

Brett McCabe 4 months ago

Time to renew. A sellout is not an impossibility. Suddenly, KU football is relevant. And we have the best running back in the Big 12.

Let's see how fast One recruit turns to Sixteen!

Also, how many students in crimson and blue mad hatter outfits in the stands next season? Over-Under?

Gerry Butler 4 months ago

Love this - -I think we really have to just understand that winning a lot in his 1st year is going to take time, - let's try and contain our expectations - -Hell of a coach - -BUT has a hell of a chore ahead -- Welcome Les - -hoping we start to fill the stands again , would be nice to see a pretty full stadium again , be able to go out on a Saturday afternoon and watch a fun packed College game again - -We have ALOT - - -I mean ALOT of fans just waiting to use some long awaited excitement in the program - -fans ready to let loose get wild - -it's a great day to be the Crimson & Blue - -PATIENCE MY FRIENDS == PATIENCE. - - - ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY.

Duane S Boor 4 months ago

I agree Gary, but you have to admit something like this makes it very easy to get excited about Kansas football. While wins won't come for a year or two, there is tremendous upside in this and it will make it easier to get people out to memorial stadium even in year one.

Gerry Butler 4 months ago

Agree for sure 100 %. - -yes very easy all ready super excited lol. -- I think more then anything I'm just talking out loud trying to contain my expectations and excitement more then anything. -- just want to be able to go back to the stadium - -been to long , haven't got THAT many years left lol - would love to see a real competitive team again. - -Les - -Long - - Hull need to have a serious sit down with Pooka and convince him to stay , better days on the horizon and he is a huge part of it. - -Hell even sit down with his Daddy say hey look what's coming here your son has put things in motion.- -Hearing that Les really recruited Texas hard, - if he can have any success there and him and Tony in the boot - -that's not to shabby better days ahead. - - -ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

Duane S Boor 4 months ago

http://www2.kusports.com/weblogs/smithology/2018/nov/18/ku-players-try-not-to-tip-their-hands-wh/ Benton can probably answer better than I can but from what I can interpret from the reaction of the players I doubt we will have very many players leave KU. RCJH!

Brian Wilson 4 months ago

I disagree. Les will have more than 3 wins next year. Next Year our Senior and Junior Classes will be sizeable and there will be a lot of talent down in the Junior and Sophomore classes. There are a bunch of whiners out there that think Beaty left us in worse shape than Weis. That is completely utterly ridiculous and not even remotely close to the truth.

In addition, with this hire, we will have 18 incoming scholarship players and I bet the Freshmen class ends us being pretty good. I will not be surprised if Les has a few players in his back pocket ready to come join him.

With all the hype and new energy, I predict our first winning season since Mangino with a record of 6-5.

Gerry Butler 4 months ago

Numbers wise can't throw out really - -All I know will be fun to tailgate - -be able to see people on the hill again - -be fun to win again - -but with baby steps - -be fun to see fans in the stands again

Tell you what though - -believe it or not - -our boys this year DID improve - -nothing but props for them busting their butts day in - -day out. - Think Coach Beaty is a class guy the way he has handled things - -I truly think he DOES love this program - think he is a great guy but - just over his head - -Good Luck Coach for your yeas. -- ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

Micky Baker 4 months ago

They have improved a bunch from game one. Pookah is a beast.

Dee Shaw 4 months ago

Awesome. Love it. A guy who has won a National title. Being mentioned at top football programs like Michigan, Arkansas etc.. nice to get a guy who wasn’t the wide receivers coach at Texas A&M (Like Beatty). Good job AD Long. All I ask if Miles can be average. 6 wins a year is very doable.

Brett McCabe 4 months ago

The schedule starts getting harder next year. 2-0 out of the gate but then there won't be an easy game the rest of the year. The bigger issue will be years two and three when the scholarships start bottoming out again.

Miles has a challenge in front of him but he has a degree in economics, so I'm sure that he can handle the scholarship math like a pro!

Dane Pratt 4 months ago

We lose roughly half our starters on both sides but if you look at the current depth chart this is a decent roster. I’m not so concerned about year two but year three worries me.

Aaron Paisley 4 months ago

The offense will be fine next year. The pieces they're losing are the QB and receiving corp. The RB's and 4/5 OLinemen will be back next year. There's good young talent at the receiver position ready to take over along with a senior Stanley ready to battle it out with Kendrick. Returning most if the OLine is huge though because they have made good strides this season and will only get better next year.

The DLine and LB's on defense will be decimated by graduation though. Kamara and Watson are the only 2 returning who played a lot of snaps this year. The secondary will be returning in tact though which will give the new DC something to build off of for next year.

Dane Pratt 4 months ago

I feel like everyone we lose on offense can be replaced with someone as good or better but the loss of Wise and Dineen are holes we have no replacements for.

Andy Tweedy 4 months ago

it's hard to argue with that...BUT, I'm gonna a little bit. What I've seen the last couple weeks is there are some questionable squads in the Big XXI, teams we could have beaten with better coaching, so I'm gonna believe there's a few wins to be had

Mike Barnhart 4 months ago

Yes. The first sentiment from Miles about his new job mentions “...will have great coaches..”. He knows, he knows!!

Mike Hart 4 months ago

Oh I see...we lost to K-State and whomever else because of coaching. Forget dropped TD passes or QB losing a grip on the football when he goes to throw. Those were "coaching" mistakes... ok, got.

Aaron Paisley 4 months ago

The players were not 100% blameless in that loss. There were definitely some game management issues that fall squarely on Beaty.

Dane Pratt 4 months ago

This should help in the retention department. Can't imagine too many players on the current roster leaving now. Time to hit the recruiting trail.

David Kemp 4 months ago

Future recruits should be impressed. Miles and Pooka can sell this program. Hopefully keep Hull for the added !!

4 months ago

interesting our local guys didnt get the scoop & SI did? we coulda done much worse than les. 🤞 RCJH

Dane Pratt 4 months ago

Okay Eeyore, let’s find that tail and nail it back on. Seriously Dude, you depress me.

Andy Tweedy 4 months ago

Nothing can ruin my mood today!!!

Bryce Landon 4 months ago

Challenge accepted.

I don't care if Kansas hired Les Miles. I wouldn't care if Kansas brought in Nick Saban or Bill Belichick. Until Kansas puts together a season of not less than four wins, I'm still not cheering for them.

So, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to start preparing for our game with Nebraska and a nice bowl game to end the season.

ON IOWA!

Micky Baker 4 months ago

Dane, yeah, that's part of his problem. He thinks he feels the same pain the players feel.

Al Martin 4 months ago

Yet again, go away, jackass. And when the team does meet your criteria, we don't want you back.

Bill Meyer 4 months ago

So, you are a fair weather fan? You jump from train to train hoping for a good ride somewhere. Not a true fan of any program.

Micky Baker 4 months ago

Yes Bill, Brett McCabe is a guy that will only support the guys when they are winning. He and Bryce Landon are not loyal to the University. I would suggest that if they don't like it, they can join together and move to wherever Iowa University is and we can all give them both the middle finger as they leave Kansas.

Andy Tweedy 4 months ago

Nope, didn't work...still ecstatic!!!

Micky Baker 4 months ago

Then go away. We don't need fans that are actually enemies.

Dustin Peterson 4 months ago

We didn't just hire a guy that talks the talk. We hired a guy that has already walked the walk. And whether he's actually successful or not, we made the best hire available who is also a good fit for Kansas. And that's all you can ask. Well done, Mr Long.

Bill Kackley 4 months ago

As I read Butlers post made me think about how loudy Kansas fans are. Going to be good to get back on campus? Some of us have been here as true loyal fans, like they have in Nebaska, poor to mediorce teams the last few years but just had their 83rd consecutive sellout in 80,000 seat stadium. We can't even half fill Memorial stadium. I dont care if you quitters ever come back. In fact I think anyone not being a season ticket holder for 10 straight or 18 of last 20 seasons shoud be limited in the type of ticket they can get. Fair weather fans suck.

Gerry Butler 4 months ago

Oh Bill - - Bill - - Bill - -Bill what the hell your talking about , or me lol - -I've stayed with Coach Beaty when all the bashers were calling for Beaty's head. -- I've have been through years of struggles with this team - -way back in the 60's was there then -- Still here now - - SURPRISE same way in Basketball with Owens - hell was there in basketball when we sucked with Owens - -you see I don't just pull out the old pull overs with old School colors and do the old RA - -RA - -when we are winning a Real fan struggles just as the team does feels like crap when the teas does. -- So you might want to check yourself and understand what the hell I am saying - go ahead I'll wait - -and umm guess what I'm still here - -how long did it take for you to get the mothballs of you KU pennants lol -- - I' was there when Nebraska kicked out butt's every year scoring like 50-55 points by half - -my brother and I seemed like the only one's ther in the stadium for KU - wind blowing 90- to nothing was sleeting and the wind blowing right in our face where wre you during those time? - -so anyways you have a nice day and just try and think about what you say before you spew out the mouth - you have NO idea lol. - -ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY - -YOU TO THERE BILLY

Bill Meyer 4 months ago

Sorry, but I wasn't replying to you. It was meant for Bryce Landon. I know you are true blue KU.

Bill Meyer 4 months ago

Sorry Gerry, made a mistake here. Thought you were talking to me. I am new hear, won't happen again.

Gerry Butler 4 months ago

it's all good buddy ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

Gerry Butler 4 months ago

well I'm sorry too - -sure I over reacted I'm sure but ya get's me worked up when I think someone calling me a quitter about anything with KU - -bleed Crimson and Blue , my love for the School has actually got me in trouble cause I get pretty riled up when anyone talks smack about our boys lol.

I'm so invested with the guys actually got a tatoo on m right arm with our Mascot stating KU kicks as lol. - -Sorry buddy but glad to know that you know my addiction with the guys - -Both of us can agree Better days coming in the future for KU fans. - -Have a great day - -ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

Randy Bombardier 4 months ago

Bill, I understand the sentiment but I would wager that if all the home games had been sold out that the admin would say we have no crisis. The fact is the low turnout helped lead to the realization that we had a real problem. I agree that we need resilient fans like Iowa State and Nebraska but we need an administration that watches out for the fan's interest as well. I think we finally have that. Hope so because ultimately the fan's make the sport, their excitement is.contagious just like this hiring. All you have to do is visit AFH. What makes it so great, the facility?

Barry Weiss 4 months ago

Great! Now lets get some 4 and 5 star recruits!

Mike Barnhart 4 months ago

The great runs by the Jayhawks in 2008 and the Royals in 2015 ended up being “lightning in a bottle” and the lack of follow-up success saw the stands empty and the buzz wasted.

Those were fun rides but I hope Miles builds us a “solid program”. By solid I mean: Give us regular shots at bowl games. Give us the occasional run at the big 12. Give us upsets of top ten teams. Give us top 25 rankings. Give us reasons to buy KU football jerseys. Give us NO REASON to leave at halftime. Give us more wins than losses against KSU. Do that and we’ll give you 50,000 fans on game day!!

Micky Baker 4 months ago

In 2009, when KU had the leads at the half or were in close games, you didn't have a reason to leave at halftime then, but the students did anyway. Partying was more important to them.

Gerry Butler 4 months ago

Well actually we signed him for a little less then what I thought it would take to get him here. - I was think more like about 3 and a half to get him her. - -but got lots of incentives.

Ok got a question for you all. You would think Les would have to have some of your staff already in place wouldn't he? - - I mean you know he has hit the ground running - it would be awfully hard for Les to be out recruiting and also trying to get a staff together at the same time wouldn't it? - -that why I said you would think he has some staff in place already right? - -let me know guys - -I might be all screwed up - - better days ahead - - ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

John Joseph Gorski 4 months ago

He might already have a staff hired or at least a few coaches hired and won't or couldn't say anything till the contract is signed and their current season is over. I imagine we will get some info over the next couple weeks.

Steven Haag 4 months ago

If I’m not mistaken, we had a 4 star quarterback from Louisiana that backed out of his verbal. I’ve not seen where he has committed elsewhere. Time to make a trip to Louisiana and get him and some others. We NEED a quarterback that can throw and more importantly, scramble and keep plays alive. Les, PLEASE use our tight end in the future. Play action will work. Defenses will put 8 or 9 in the box until we can be a legitimate pass threat

Titus Canby 4 months ago

A few random observations.

"With Miles’ hiring, Kansas becomes the only university in the country that can boast a current men’s basketball coach with an NCAA Division I Championship and a football coach with an FBS Championship." - Benton, best fact ever.

Memorial Stadium hold 50,000 people. Let's conservatively assume $50/ticket. Our average attendance the last few years has been about 20,000. So, if Miles can field a team that sells out 2 games a year, that's 30,000 additional tickets per game x $50 = $1,500,000 per game. Times 2 games = $3,000,000. That pays for his salary.

There has been a lot of talk about "why would a high caliber coach come to KU" over the last few weeks. And I've been beating the drum about building something. Some people just want to do a job. Others want to build something. Be the first. Think about the great inventors, explorers, builders in the world. People who've done something no one has ever done. Thomas Edison, George Washington, Edmond Hilary, Christopher Columbus, Jonas Salk, Steve Jobs, even Bill Snyder. I hope we can add Les Miles to that list. (Ok, a bit of hyperbole, but it's directional.)

Welcome Coach Miles.

Suzi Marshall 4 months ago

Miles still will have a 'not very good' team next year to go with a really tough schedule. More than 2 wins will be exceptionally difficult.

Mike Hart 4 months ago

Why is that? Almost the whole offense is back and the entire defensive secondary. If you believe those here... Beaty should have won 5 games this year... apparently we left 2 wins on the table due to coaching. So now that he have a real head coach... you are saying more than 2 wins will be exceptionally difficult? Doesn't compute...

Brett McCabe 4 months ago

Mike, seems like you are more interested in picking fights than actually discussing and considering things. So, I'll do the computing for you:

We had the weakest non-con schedule in the country and Beaty still couldn't win all three. And Beaty didn't win five games this year, he won three.

Virtually every team in the country returns basically half their starters. It's mathematical. Rarely, a team gets out of balance and either loses a lot in one year or returns a lot. But mostly, they lose half, pretty much every year.

So, that means most of our opponents will be returning at least as many starters as us, and most of our opponents beat us. Additionally, Beaty has one two-star running back orally committed, while everyone else in the county has at least 8 commitments. And Boston College replaces (pick one: CMU, Nichols, Rutgers). Till today, BC was a top-25 team and we play them away.

Finally, I'll give you some names: Campbell, Riley, Hermann, Patterson, Rhule, Klingler, Holgerson and Gundy. See any good coaches on that list? Any of them been around their programs a little while? Any of them have a massive head start on recruiting?

With Beaty in charge, we'd be 2-10 next year and looking for a coach. If we go 2-10 next year, we'll be light years ahead by having a proven winner actually in charge of building the program.

Micky Baker 4 months ago

In one ear out the other. Dismissed. You know why Bryce? What does it say my name is? Then use it or shut up. That's the actual name. If you can't do that, then don't pretend like you've been disrespected. So go to Iowa... we won't miss ya.

Layne Pierce 4 months ago

Let's go to the stadium and support Coach Miles, and our players. Let's make it damn hard for anybody who doesn't bleed crimson and blue to get a seat.

Thank you Mr. Long. Finally somebody really tried to do the right thing. Let's get it rocking and chalking and rolling, and let's insist on building up numbers, no gimmicks, baby, just tough, hard purposeful construction of the MACHINE.

i thank you, John Hadl, thanks, you, Gayle Sayers thanks you, Bobby Douglas thanks you, Nolan Cromwell thanks you, John Riggins thanks you, Ray Evans thanks you, Todd Reesing thanks you.

The ring of honor is glowing right now.

RCJH

Matthew Roesner 4 months ago

With the hiring of Les Miles, the top questions people will want to know are how many recruit slots are available for him to fill this year (how many did Beaty already fill through blue shirts, etc,)? Are there certain recruits/locations that he may tap or work to influence (who is on his board)? Potential assistant coaches? Will KU open up ($$) and support a more equivalent football staff similar to Big 12 peers and what Miles had at LSU? What the football team will look like after graduations/eligibility is finished this year (who returns, how many slots below max allowed scholarship players, risk of transfers, etc.). There is a long and bumpy path to bringing KU to a competitive level. Hiring Coach Miles was a good start...it is just a start though. Wishing Coach Miles and KU success!

Micky Baker 4 months ago

I think KU can sign a total of 18 guys for the class of '19.

Bill Kackley 4 months ago

Gerry just going by your own words "'just want to be able to go back to the stadium againWhy - - been too long, haven't got that many years left, lol"

Len Shaffer 4 months ago

I'm very excited about Miles coming onboard, but I do have to quibble with the comment in the press release about "return(ing) a winning tradition to the Kansas Jayhawks."

I think a more accurate release would have referred to STARTING (or maybe BUILDING) a winning tradition. While we've had great years from time to time, we have NEVER had a winning tradition. Wouldn't it be nice to get one started now?

Robert Brock 4 months ago

Bring back tough football. Blocking & Tackling. Do it!

Laissez les bon temps roulet. Geaux Jayhawks!

Charlie Gaughn 4 months ago

Very, very nice hire. What's even more impressive is we have an AD!! We'll never know the full story behind the abrupt firing of Zenger, but I'll bet it's an interesting one. We got Miles for slightly more than Weis....and he's got significant incentives which are great for him and KU football.

Now if we can just reverse the K-State recruiting that Zenger has been doing at Free State perhaps we can land some more local talent. Welcome aboard Coach Miles. Can't wait to see the Hill packed again and something other than 11:00 kickoffs!

Brad Watson 4 months ago

WELCOME COACH MILES TO THE UNIVERSITY OF KANSAS....though I was critical and personally hoped we would select someone else....I AM HAPPY YOU ARE HERE AND I AM BEHIND YOU 100%.....we all look forward to your unique.... engaging.... personality and watching you in action .....as you make your mark.... in the history books of Kansas football......your name now will be alongside greats like Sayers...Riggins...Douglas ..Cromwell and many more...I am already excited about the fall of 2019 .....and seeing you on the sidelines..... leading our young men..... into battle.....AGAIN........WELCOME..... TO YOU.... AND YOUR FAMILY...... AND GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!

Chris DeWeese 4 months ago

Congratulations, coach. Welcome to Lawrence! Geaux Hawks!

Micky Baker 4 months ago

Welcome to Kansas University Les MIles. I wish you the best in this project that you took on. It is a courageous thing to do. I hope that next year's home opener includes at least 20,000 students and at least 45,000 total in attendance.

For all the students, it is up to you to make Memorial Stadium a place that is very difficult for our opponents to win. The guys need you and it doesn't drain your funds to go to the games. Stay for the whole game. In fact, I wish KU would stop allowing people to leave and then reenter so you either have to stay the whole game or just don't go so fans that will stay the whole game get the seats.

Thomas Green 4 months ago

Very excited and happy about hiring Les. There is simply no reason in my mind that we can’t have both a high caliber basketball program and an extremely competitive football program. KU is a wonderful place and I’m so looking forward about our prospects moving forward. I think it speaks volumes that Miles could have almost made the same money not coaching, yet he chose to do this! I believe he will give it everything he has and I’m confident he will be successful! RCJ!

Bville Hawk 4 months ago

I just home and pray that the powers that be at KU don't part ways with Coach Miles a few years down the road because he says or does something deemed to be "politically incorrect" (for lack of a better term).

We have been stupid before, hopefully we learned from it.

Kirk Garrett 4 months ago

During today's Q & A, Miles had several long, very long pauses in which he was evidently struggling to find the right word, or blanking out entirely perhaps. I found this rather disturbing, and it made me feel concerned for him. Was he always like this? I definitely wish him the best and hope he's okay.

Look at the 29:30 mark. This wasn't the only instance of apparent dementia:

Tony Bandle 4 months ago

Well, Kirk, you sure know how to throw a bucket of water on a campfire party!!

Kirk Garrett 4 months ago

I wish I could find his repeated apparent difficulties laughable.

Jeff Kallmeyer 4 months ago

I agree with you Kirk, found it to be a little disturbing.

Doug Wallace 4 months ago

Welcome aboard Coach Les Miles!I hope the best and I hope he can turn things around!Rock Chalk Jayhawks@

Ok we got the head coaah, not to criticize coach Miles but now can coach Miles also get the good assistants we need to get things turned around?

Well overall I am happy we got him!Yes Kansas can have a good Basketball program and a good football program and any other good sports program!Kansas can walk and chew gum at the same time!

Geaux Kansas Rock Chalk Jayhawk!

Steve Zimmerman 4 months ago

65, 66, 67..? He will retire soon. Let's enjoy the ride!

Lance Hobson 4 months ago

Chancellor Girod is on a roll! Now let’s hit the pavement and get our recruiting class back! And put Mangino on the staff! Finally moving on from that football program wrecker Lew Perkins!

Brad Avery 4 months ago

Not a particularly impressive press conference. Coach Miles was incoherent and distracted in answering the mostly softball questions posed to him. The most interesting thing Les said was that when his team (O-State) played in Lawrence that he was struck how beautiful the setting was and surprised that KU had not been more successful, which is precisely what Mangino said in his press conference when asked about his time as an assistant for Oklahoma. Oh well, forward and onward.

Kirk Garrett 4 months ago

There were several really weird moments where Miles is apparently blanking out during the Q & A, such as at 29:30 in the youtube video of the press conference. Perhaps he was this way at OSU and LSU? If so, I haven't seen any videos of it. Snarky and kooky, sure. At a loss for words for like 60 seconds, no.