Saturday, November 25, 2017

Sheahon Zenger: Beaty will return as coach in 2018

Kansas head coach David Beaty runs off the field following the Jayhawks' 38-9 loss to Baylor on Saturday, Sept. 4, 2017 at Memorial Stadium. Before Saturday's game, Baylor was winless on the season.

Immediately following the Kansas football team's 58-17 loss to Oklahoma State in its 2017 season finale Saturday, Kansas athletic director Sheahon Zenger released a statement to confirm that David Beaty will remain as head coach.

"While we know the results of this season are not acceptable, the rebuilding of this program is a process, and Coach Beaty will continue to lead us through it," Zenger said.

Beaty has a 3-33 record in three seasons with one win against an FBS opponent. KU finished 1-11 this season with its only victory against Southeast Missouri State.

"I'm excited and encouraged about the coaching staff's recruiting efforts and the facility upgrades we've made thus far and those we are about begin," Zenger said. "As we all know, recruits want to see first-class facilities; thanks to some amazing benefactors who understand what it takes to build a program, we plan to provide our coaching staff with even more recruiting resources."

Beaty told the Jayhawk Radio Network afterward: "It makes us feel great obviously because those guys know. I think being around Dr. Z and him being a football guy, which I'm so fortunate to have him and our chancellor who is phenomenal, very supportive when it comes to building the vision. The thing it does, it just helps us as we move forward in recruiting because the key here is going to be developing the ones we've got and recruiting better ones. That's going to be a major part of getting this thing turned. We're getting closer. We're just not quite there yet."

— Check back to KUsports.com for more throughout the day

More news and notes from Kansas vs. Oklahoma State

Comments

David Kemp 3 weeks ago

No as a matter of fact Nichols State is rated in fcs

Chris Bailey 2 weeks, 6 days ago

We won't win a single game next season. We are so terrible!

Chris Bailey 2 weeks, 6 days ago

Who the hell are we gonna beat??????? Seriously????

Chris Bailey 2 weeks, 6 days ago

Nicholls State is 8-3. We can't beat them. We suck!

Brian Skelly 3 weeks ago

Zenger's "vision" has helped turn us from mediocre and bad-ish to the worst Power 5 football program in the country -- by far. And we're probably amongst the worst with the "little 5" as well.

Im less concerned about Beaty coming back than I am Zenger. Apathy is what is killing us.

Chris Shaw 3 weeks ago

Good thing Rock Chalk Park, The Hall of Fame, The Basketball Dorms, the Football Renovations, the weight room, and the football practice facility won’t wver built. Oh..wait...

Brett McCabe 3 weeks ago

You forgot our football record under Zenger's hires. Maybe we can all buy tickets to stand outside these structures and do the Chant.

Jackson Wallace 3 weeks ago

Just for reference that record is 9-53, 2-42 in the Big 12. If this chart I saw today is up to date. Worse if it isn't. Also doesn't include the Bowen interim head coach period.

Sae Thirtysix 3 weeks ago

Cue up article by TKegan, “Coaches The University of Kansas has passed on”

Brett McCabe 3 weeks ago

We're getting closer? Are you trying to land on the moon in the 1940's? It's not really as hard as you an Incompetent in Chief Zenger make it sound. Here's an idea: hire a proven coach. It will get a lot easier.

Diallo Liu-Bey 3 weeks ago

We're getting closer to the bottom. Duh!

(sarcasm)

Jerry Walker 3 weeks ago

Season Grades...offense=F....defense=F....won/loss record=F...special teams=F.

By all means, after 3 seasons, this coaching staff should remain intact...and Bob's your uncle.

Barry Weiss 3 weeks ago

Such depressing news. Nothing about this program shows progress, nothing. What a disgrace.

Bill McGovern 3 weeks ago

Welp I'm convinced that Zenger has completely lost his mind. There has been no success or even a shred of improvement under coach Beaty, what the hell makes him think next year will be any different? I can guarantee we will see more recruits back out of their commitments after the sorry display today, can't blame them - who would want to play here?!

Brett McCabe 3 weeks ago

I love that Beaty called Zenger a "football guy". Football Destroyer, maybe.

Dyrk Dugan 3 weeks ago

Well, good; it’s official. Beaty is back, and now the naysayers and the callers for his head can now support the program or move on. Let’s secure this recruiting class and get ready for next year. Basically the whole team is back; I can’t believe, they don’t think they have something to prove. Our team should be a highly motivated bunch. Evaluate this season, remember and learn from it, and get ready for next year. Go Jayhawks!

Diallo Liu-Bey 3 weeks ago

Diallo Liu-Bey 2 weeks, 6 days ago

Somehow my previous comment ran afoul of site's usage agreement. So I'll rephrase. Its nothing wrong with trying to put a positive spin on things. Its like a dad telling his ugly daughter that she is beautiful to make her feel better.

Brett McCabe 3 weeks ago

In the famous words of the lady in the restaurant...."I'll have what she's having"

Adam Engelbrecht 3 weeks ago

Or we can keep calling for his head because he has made zero progress to make anyone believe he deserves to be there.

Something to prove? They won zero games two years ago, and two last year. Like they didn't have something to prove this year?

Believe me, I would be optimistic if there were concrete evidence that pointed in that direction. Unfortunately there isn't.

Diallo Liu-Bey 3 weeks ago

Progress: forward or onward movement toward a destination.

In response to your assertion that KU has "made zero progress", I would have to emphatically disagree. In terms of the definition of "progress", what you fail to take into account is the actual destination of the progress. The Zenger (Yes, "the") says "we're getting closer" and we are. We're getting closer to building a program that can threaten Prairie View A&M's 80-game losing streak.

You sir, are wrong.

Diallo Liu-Bey 3 weeks ago

I'm glad you didnt think I was trying to be a jerk there.

Gerry Butler 2 weeks, 6 days ago

Whaaaa? - -you mean you aren't? roflmao - -damn I was giving you the benefit of the doubt. - so I guess that means you just stupid - -I get it lmao

Gerry Butler 2 weeks, 6 days ago

Look out Dyrk, you opened yourself up now lol, - -this damn lynch mob will skin you alive. - How dare you try and go against what they say. -Mercy sorry for you lol -- wait you must be high right. - Hey that's what some are trying to insinuate . -Good for you Dyrk I don't blame ya.

Chris Bailey 2 weeks, 6 days ago

I'll watch less KU football than I did NFL next year. Which was ZERO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Robert Brock 3 weeks ago

I have no problem with Beaty. On the other hand, Chancellor Girod should demand Sheahon Zenger’s resignation immediately.

Brian Skelly 3 weeks ago

+1 and many, many, many more.

The problem starts with Zenger. Until he's gone, it's hard to envision anyone taking the Athletic Department seriously.

Barry Weiss 3 weeks ago

let me guess, Beaty will proclaim the Jayhawks will be going to a bowl next year....delusional.

Randy Bombardier 3 weeks ago

"White Rabbit"

One pill makes you larger And one pill makes you small And the ones that mother gives you Don't do anything at all Go ask Alice When she's ten feet tall

And if you go chasing rabbits And you know you're going to fall Tell 'em a hookah-smoking caterpillar Has given you the call Call Alice When she was just small

When the men on the chessboard Get up and tell you where to go And you've just had some kind of mushroom And your mind is moving low Go ask Alice I think she'll know

When logic and proportion Have fallen sloppy dead And the White Knight is talking backwards And the Red Queen's off with her head Remember what the dormouse said Feed your head Feed your head

Adam Engelbrecht 3 weeks ago

While this wasn't really surprising I still think it was a really bad move. I honestly think fundraising will plummet for them this offseason. There will always be the big boys that Zenger can finagle into giving a few million here and there, but I can't imagine too many "regular folk" are going to be excited about giving to the Endowment this year. I'd love to see what percentage of money comes from "small" donations there.

Aaron Paisley 2 weeks, 6 days ago

The current project of renovating Memorial is not funded by the regular donors. These types of projects are funded by high dollar donors whose names you see all over campus on various buildings.

The money regular donors give tends to go to the general operating funds or scholarships for the athletes.

Adam Engelbrecht 2 weeks, 6 days ago

If you can back that up with figures I'll happily believe you. Any sort of financial statement?

Randy Bombardier 3 weeks ago

I think I've decided to stop taking KU football seriously. Oh, I'll watch it for its comedic value. Its brand is right up there with the likes of Seinfeld, Taxi, and Mash.

Chris Bailey 2 weeks, 6 days ago

I actually watch just to hear how much they get laughed at and how bad we can get our arse handed to us. They don't care and neither should we!

Kevin Robert Fest 3 weeks ago

On what planet is 0-12, 2-10, and 1-11 and not really being competitive progress? Take out the Texas anomaly last year and there is nothing. To say Rhode Island and Southeast Missouri wins are progress is pathetic.

David Kemp 3 weeks ago

I’m in complete shock, dumbfounded by the heights of ineptitude

Diallo Liu-Bey 2 weeks, 6 days ago

He said, "the heights of ineptitude" rather than the depths of ineptitude, which reminded me of that Michael Ray Richardson quote from back in the day. He was asked about his former team and he replied, "The ship be sinking." When he was asked how bad it could get, Michael Ray followed up by saying, "The sky's the limit."

Daniel Kennamore 3 weeks ago

This statement should be a everything needed to fire Zenger then,

I won’t be spending another dime (including watching another moment on tv) of KU football until he and Beaty are gone.

No Yard Left Behind 3 weeks ago

Same! I refuse to put myself through this madness anymore. Every weekend I find myself more and more angry with the situation that is KU "football". Moving on until we get rid of the dead weight!!!

Brian Leslie 3 weeks ago

Let's see if Girod gives a similar vote of confidence for next year. I couldn't care less about Zenger's opinion right now, as he is irrevocably chained to Beaty. If Girod announces that everyone is back, then yeah, it's apocalypse time.

David Kemp 3 weeks ago

Exactly a statement of confidence from Zenger isn’t worth squat

Gary Wirsig 2 weeks, 6 days ago

Girod already did. In an open letter 12 days ago (Nov 13), he stated...

"I want to reiterate my confidence in Sheahon and Coach David Beaty. Nobody denies the challenges we are having on the field, but I maintain my belief that Sheahon and Coach Beaty have the right long-term vision and are doing things the right way. Our focus now is empowering them with the tools they need to fulfill their vision."

Not saying I agree or disagree - just sharing the text.

Brian Leslie 2 weeks, 6 days ago

It's a piece of cake for Girod to pivot from that and say that he has reevaluated things and that, while Zenger/Beaty have had their hearts and "long-term vision" in the right place, the trajectory of the program does not get the university to where it needs and deserves to be. Any PR person could write the statement in 5 minutes.

If Girod doubles down on the current leadership of the football program having the right long-term vision, then yes, it's apocalypse now for the fanbase.

Suzi Marshall 3 weeks ago

It would be great if the LJW could get an interview with Anderson. He is apparently the lead major donor that supports Beaty/Zenger. I’d love to here is reasons for support and his willingness to write major checks.

David Kemp 3 weeks ago

These guys must all drink from the same cup.

Ashwin Rao 3 weeks ago

I would also like to see if LJW can get an interview with Girod... to get a feel for what his litmus test is...

This decision somehow does not make sense, and "someone" has to let the public (KU is a public institution, right?) know the thought process behind the decision.

Matt Tait 2 weeks, 6 days ago

Keegan requested one a couple of weeks ago and was told that Dr. Girod had a busy calendar that week and was not available...

Barry Weiss 2 weeks, 6 days ago

obviously he does not want to face the tough questions.

Suzi Marshall 2 weeks, 6 days ago

Girod has to talk to the LJW or some other interested media. As the leader of a public University responsible for the Athletic Department, he has to answer for his actions. Even if the reason is what we all believe it to be, i.e. major donors lead by Anderson/Booth want to retain Zenger/Beaty, he needs to clearly state that. Most reasonable people will understand these are successful business people stepping up to write big checks for the facility upgrades. The university needs those people and until naysayers want to writ multi-multi-million dollar checks, we need to be grateful to them and respect their decisions.....

Jerry Walker 2 weeks, 6 days ago

What? Is Keegan a one-and-done guy and then gives up? What about last week? What about this week?

Ashwin Rao 2 weeks, 6 days ago

I would like to find out why Beety is better than Turner Gill...

Gill's record:

Kansas Jayhawks (Big 12 Conference) (2010–2011)

2010 Kansas 3–9 1–7 6th (North)

2011 Kansas 2–10 0–9 10th

Total Kansas: 5–19 1–16

Gary Wilson 2 weeks, 6 days ago

This is a slap in the face to every fan out there, whether they realize it or not. Beaty is at least on the list of the worst head coaches in program history. He's high on that list in my opinion. But these terrible hires won't end until Zenger is gone. So consider this a double slap in your face. Give money accordingly.

Diallo Liu-Bey 2 weeks, 6 days ago

KU may have no choice but to bring Beaty back--for asthetics. KU has had 38 coaches (40 counting interims) since 1891, which comprises an average tenure of 3.3 years. As much as recruiting is integral to "rebuilding" Kansas' program, convincing the coaching community that Lawrence is not a death trap is even more important. Behind closed doors, KU's coaching vacancies may be interpreted as, "Who wants to be Kansas' next former coach?".

If next year plays out to simply be a formality for Beaty, it would be helpful if whoever takes over afterward approaches the job with the correct mindset. As it stands, it would take four straight undefeated seasons just to get KU's all-time record back to .500. This is NOT a rebuilding job. This is a wipe the slate clean and burn any evidence of what previously took place before starting over job. Figuratively speaking, KU needs an exorcist.

Dillon Davis 2 weeks, 6 days ago

Just imagine where we might be if we didn't beat Texas...and isnt that saying a lot? The Texas win should not be enough to warrant Beaty getting a 4th year. And as far as his recruiting efforts, we are currently ranked 9th in the conference according to Rivals. And you know Jason and Harris will decommit any day now. And he has zero players committed from Texas, which was what he was brought in here to do. We just wasted the senior year of a lot of talented juniors...

Bill McGovern 2 weeks, 6 days ago

The circus will continue next year! Starring Sheahon the Clown, Girod the Spineless Man, and The Amazing Beaty who will be blasted out of a cannon!

Mike Barnhart 2 weeks, 6 days ago

In the Zenger era Rice, N. Illinois, Central Michigan, Ohio, Duke, Memphis, South Dakota State and Rutgers have all kicked our tails. I'm assuming it's their superior facilities that made the difference. Give me a break!!! I hope Girod realizes Zenger's just trying to save his job.

Chris DeWeese 2 weeks, 6 days ago

I'm just so tired of everything that comes out of Zenger and Beaty's mouth. It literally means nothing. While I agree that both are probably top notch men, they are actually doing a disservice to the U of Kan. We continue to be a laughing stock. I only hope the dominating performance of our BBall team will quickly overshadow the impotent football program.

Thomas Green 2 weeks, 6 days ago

Girod’s calendar so full he doesn’t have 30 minutes for an interview by the LJW. Talk about cowardice! Be a man Girod and at least have the courage to answer a few question about why and how you have arrived at this decision. I think we all deserve answers to a few questions regarding the program and why Zenger is the right man for the job. Why do I have a sinking feeling he is in way over his head as well...at least when it comes to athletics. LAME!

Bill Cohen 2 weeks, 6 days ago

I hate to suggest it but the only solution may be to start to withhold $'s from KU by us alums and fans! Money talks and BS walks!

[''] 2 weeks, 6 days ago

The only way this administration will listen is if there are Allen Field House empty seat protests or a threat from the Big 12 commish to kick out KU FOOTBALL. That's it.

John Brazelton 2 weeks, 6 days ago

Everyone, please switch over to KU basketball, smoke a joint, drink a beer, find someone to have sex with and enjoy life and let your blood pressure return to normal, you'll live longer. It's bad enough to insult the Chancellor, the AD and the HC, but I will guarantee that almost none of you have the experience or the credentials to do their jobs. Also, Suzi, please don't insult major donors like Dana Anderson. He has backed up his loyalty to KU academic programs and the Athletic Department with multi-millions of donor dollars over his life time. I will guarantee that next years football team will have more wins and fewer losses. Within a few years, almost all of you will be sucking up to Athletic Department for better tickets and other benefits when the football team starts winning again. In the meantime, have some faith in the future.

Dillon Davis 2 weeks, 6 days ago

Blind faith is not something I'm interested in. And you can't give any concrete examples of what Beaty has accomplished that warrants us being excited for the future. The Texas win is no where near enough. C'mon John. What has your guy Beaty done that makes you poop rainbows and sunshine all the time?

Bill McGovern 2 weeks, 6 days ago

Ah yes here's Brazelton with all the answers! Don't worry folks, we've got his guarantee that there will be more wins and fewer losses! I can't understand how you think we'll be better next year. But hey as long as you guarantee it, it's gotta be true!

David Friend 2 weeks, 6 days ago

For the guy who says it will be better next year. With what. 9th worse recruiting class in the conference. Coaching has not shown they can coach up the current crop. It's either naivety or just stupidity to think it is getting better. It's quite clear the current administration does not care about the football program. No other school in the country is keeping their AD or coach with this kind of record. A long time a go it did take 4-5 years to build a program but not so anymore. We are not a power 5 or a mid major program and there is nothing that says we will be with the exception of a renovated stadium. And that will look pristine on a weekly basis as it will be empty. Maybe I will be proven wrong but based on three years of results and taking steps backwards there is no reason to feel any other way.... Oh with the exception of naivety or stupidity.

Kevin Robert Fest 2 weeks, 6 days ago

Hi may take your order?

Yes lll have another 1-11 and season.

Would you like tears with that? ?

Sure.

The 1-11 also comes with a side of excuses.

Ok lll have some of those.

And for dessert?

The AD saying Beaty will be back in 2019

I feel sick already

Charles Peffer 2 weeks, 6 days ago

Bret Bielema is available... he is 47 yrs old and has won 97 Division I football games... D.B. has won 3 games and arguably 1 Division I football Game... what is the holdup? Nice guy, sure but has failed as a Division I football coach

Brian Skelly 2 weeks, 6 days ago

Theres no malice on my end.    It's a performance based business.   Beaty simply isnt very good at his job.   Dr. Z isn't either.    It's not personal, it IS business.    Folks pretending it isnt doesnt help the situation,  id argue that's the biggest problem here.

David Kemp 2 weeks, 6 days ago

Do the math. Use to donate 1000, buy 2 season tickets 700 and spend 200 concessions or 1900. Multiply 10000 pairs x 1900= 19 million dollars. That could buy a nice coaching staff and contribute mightily to the local economy

Blake Brown 2 weeks, 6 days ago

Beaty will return, but will the fans? If it is about business as some above state, then it`s more about the money and where is the money coming from, the basketball program and its influence.

David Kemp 2 weeks, 6 days ago

Just compare 2009 avg att of 50581 to Beatty’s 2017 of mid 20s. We’re talking losses of 20+ million per yr!

Micky Baker 2 weeks, 6 days ago

Take a list of the names posting all the criticisms here, and they won't be around to eat crow in a couple of years. I do understand how hard it is to take, but things that happened before Beaty are still cursing the program. If you hire a new coach now and then fire him in 3 years again, the program won't ever get to where we know it can be. It only makes sense to allow the roster to catch up with scholarship players. If you don't allow this to happen, it won't matter who the coach is. Patience. But if you want to jump off the ship, don't take others down with you. I'm not throwing a lifesaver out to you. You're burning the bridge, not the University of Kansas.

Len Shaffer 2 weeks, 4 days ago

Micky, I've eaten crow on this site before, and I would be THRILLED to do it again this time.

But I'd also be thrilled to win the lottery, and that's more likely to happen, even with my not having actually PLAYED the lottery in years ...

Brad Avery 2 weeks, 5 days ago

Kevin Sumlin has been fired after winning 51 games at Texas A&M in six seasons. Beaty wouldn't win 51 games if he remained at KU for the next 20 years. But I guess our standards are different at KU.

Micky Baker 2 weeks, 5 days ago

Drama Queen auditions were canceled. Didn't you know that?

Tracey Graham 2 weeks ago

While I feel bad wanting someone to lose his job, this is still the wrong decision. The team actually regressed this season. And that's hard to do when it only won 2 games in the previous year.

There are lots of head coaches having success with mid-major programs. Why not at least take a run at one of them, insttead of immediately deciding to stay with a guy who hasn't shown he can be a good head coach? Why the rush to make this decision?