Baylor defeats Kansas, 38-9

• 11 a.m., Nov. 4, 2017
  • Memorial Stadium, Lawrence, KS

Saturday, November 4, 2017

Bounced by Baylor: Jayhawks frustrated by ‘unacceptable’ 38-9 loss

Baylor tight end Ishmail Wainright (24) catches a touchdown pass over Kansas cornerback Kyle Mayberry (16) during the fourth quarter on Saturday, Sept. 4, 2017 at Memorial Stadium.

On a gray Saturday afternoon at Memorial Stadium the Kansas football season sunk to new levels of dreariness.

Void of any sign of progress and lacking the ability to keep up with previously winless Baylor, the Jayhawks flatlined in what appeared to be their best chance for a victory since their season opener against non-FBS competition.

The Bears didn’t score any points off either of the Jayhawks’ two turnovers. No special teams disasters doubled as early holiday gifts for BU’s offense. Baylor simply proved more competent and effective than KU in a 38-9 beating.

Third-year Kansas head coach David Beaty, who had emphasized the importance of the matchup between the Big 12’s two worst teams, said he had no words of encouragement for his players after Kansas fell to 1-8 overall, 0-6 in the Big 12 this season and 3-30 in Beaty’s close to three full seasons on the job.

“There’s not going to be a pep talk after a game like that,” Beaty said. “We expected to win and we didn’t do it.”

In front of an announced crowd of 21,797, the Bears won their first game under first-year head coach Matt Rhule and held an opponent without a touchdown for the first time since a 70-6 romp over Northwestern State, in 2014. BU, which out-gained Kansas 455-289 in total yardage, held a Big 12 opponent without a TD on the road for the first time since 2006, at Kansas State.

Ten of KU’s 13 offensive possessions traveled 28 or fewer yards.

“There’s no excuse for that,” Beaty said of the various offensive woes, after starting quarterback Carter Stanley completed 17 of 33 passes for only 155 yards, with an interception, and Khalil Herbert led the rushing attack with 10 carries for 71 yards.

In the meantime, first-time starter Charlie Brewer, Baylor’s freshman quarterback, connected on 23 of 29 throws for 315 yards and three touchdowns.

“I felt ready to go. I felt prepared,” Brewer said after setting career highs in completions, passing yards and passing touchdowns. “I think all the other guys did, too, and I think that it showed.”

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

David Beaty talks about the 'more than frustrating' loss to Baylor

Kansas football coach David Beaty talks about the team's disappointment in a 38-9 loss to Baylor on Saturday and the need for scoring touchdowns on offense instead of settling for field goals.

Download podcast

Junior defensive tackle Daniel Wise said BU’s passing success — Denzel Mims benefited to the tune of five receptions and 122 yards — proved to be one of the more glaring issues for the Jayhawks’ defense.

“The quarterback got into some kind of rhythm. We didn’t shut him down as much as we should’ve,” Wise said. “We stopped them in the run game (120 rushing yards, 3.1 yards per carry). They couldn’t run. But somehow he got in a rhythm. But we’ll do better.”

After once again leading KU with 11 total tackles, junior linebacker Joe Dineen, who made one of the team’s two sacks and four tackles for loss, as well, said the defense had players out of gaps and using wrong leverages on coverages.

“I’m not happy obviously,” Dineen said. “What we put out there today was embarrassing and unacceptable. That can’t happen. We worked too hard. Everyone works hard but that’s unacceptable, what happened today.”

For the second week in a row, KU took a brief first-half lead. After a scoreless first quarter, the Jayhawks were first on the board, but the drive, like many to come, doubled as a bit of a buzzkill. The Jayhawks picked up 75 yards on the series and had to settle for a 38-yard field goal.

That 3-0 advantage lasted all of 1:09 on the game clock, as the Bears (1-8, 1-5) needed just three plays to go 75 yards, and Brewer delivered BU the lead for good with a 26-yard touchdown pass to Gavin Holmes.

The only other somewhat promising drives by KU’s offense — for 41 yards in the second quarter and 64 yards in the third — also ended in field goals, as Rui split the uprights from 40 yards and a career-best 43 yards.

Asked whether settling for field goals so often — Rui went 3-for-4 and KU never finished a drive inside the red zone — weighed on the team, Wise replied, “I believe it does. I’m not quite sure what goes on that side of the ball so I’m not going to speak too much about it. Gabriel Rui did a good job putting points on the board.”

Wise answered questions on the offense settling for field goals because neither Stanley nor junior receiver Steven Sims Jr., who were requested for interviews, were available for comment after the loss. According to a KU official, Stanley was in the training room receiving treatment and Sims did not choose to attend the media session.

Stating the obvious, Beaty said KU has to score touchdowns.

“Where we really have to become better is we have to — once we get inside that plus-30, that first down after that plus-30 has got to be good, because if you just go back and look at it, first down after plus-30 has been, it's been going backwards or it's been a stalemate and almost without exception we're in a third-and-long situation,” KU’s coach said after his team went 3-for-16 on third-down tries. “You give them an advantage when you do that.”

The no-show against Baylor, which all but officially ended late in the third quarter, when the Bears came out of a timeout on fourth-and-goal at KU’s one-yard line and took a 28-9 lead after Terence Williams rushed into the south end zone, proved most regrettable because the Jayhawks had challenged Kansas State in a 30-20 defeat seven days earlier.

“You take those two weeks back-to-back, and obviously you want to be able to build on it, and we didn't do that today, and that's more than frustrating,” Beaty said. “But … there's going to be three more games here, and we'd better be ready to go because I know those guys are going to be ready to go. We'd better be ready.”

Those words proved more lengthy than the ones KU’s coaches had in the locker room after another embarrassing defeat.

“There’s really nothing to be said,” Wise related. “We know what we should’ve did when we went out there, just didn’t do a great job executing. That’s what it is.”

Wise, like Beaty, said KU expected to win against Baylor. The 29-point loss left the defensive lineman, his teammates and coaches visibly irritated.

“It’s very frustrating. It’s a game we know we should’ve come out with a victory and it’s just beyond frustrating,” Wise said. “We haven’t been consistent. Last week we had a really good week and this week was kind of a falloff. …But it is frustrating. It is.”

KU travels next week to play at Texas.

— See what people were saying about the game during KUsports.com's live coverage.

More news and notes from Kansas vs. Baylor

Comments

John Fitzgerald 2 weeks, 5 days ago

Unacceptable? That’s what we’ve been saying all year coach. Now do us favor and quit.

Jason Musick 2 weeks, 5 days ago

I think if Kansas keeps firing head coaches. No one will want to take the head coaching position when it comes available. As terrible as this sounds I think Beaty needs to stay 2 more miserable seasons. I am banking on with all the future donations to the KU Football Stadium project. There will be plenty of $$$ incentives around for recruits to come to Kansas.

John Fitzgerald 2 weeks, 5 days ago

That is by far the dumbest comment I’ve ever read.

Brian Leslie 2 weeks, 4 days ago

"plenty of $$$ incentives" has to be the most inappropriate phrase for KU football that I have heard in a while. What in the world??? New recruits are going to say "man, I heard about those old-school horse trough urinals in the bathrooms, but that is going to be MY ERA when those are replaced. Boom."

Jason Musick 2 weeks, 5 days ago

Can someone tell me why Kansas or any other Division 1 College, does not pursue or take a chance on Division 2 All-Americans, who might want to play Division 1 Football? Is it against some kind of rules to talk to an athlete on a D2 and recruit them to a D1 team? I was told that D3 Schools do not provide Scholarships to their players. If this is true. Why not go after some of the D3 players and offer them a chance to Walk on the Team. Heck if there team goes undefeated and wins their National Championship offer up walk on's to the entire team. Rock Chalk Go KU....

Brett McCabe 2 weeks, 5 days ago

Jason, I'm not an expert on this, but I believe that those players would all need to do a sit-out year, which would dampen the interest. I know that Keith Loneker, Jr. had to sit out - even after transferring from a non-NCAA school.

As far as the D-2 and D-3 players, I'm guessing that the contact would have to be initiated by the kids because it would probably be a recruiting violation to reach out to another NCAA school.

To your point, though, if you are a highly regarded D-2 player, why not look at initiating a transfer on your own? Or, even at an FCS school?

Jerry Walker 2 weeks, 5 days ago

In the words of the country crooner, Vern Gosdin..."That just about does it - don't it."

Beaty's a nice guy and a hard worker...but...Coach Beaty and his staff are just not capable.

Well (sigh) it's on to the 4th try at replacing Mangino...there's just not any other solution.

Mark Kostner 2 weeks, 5 days ago

Well my fellow Jayhawks, had enough yet? Losing big to a winless team at home? Well, we've now had three, count them, three coaches who couldn't the job done in football since we let the big man go. I forgot, why did we sack the Orange Bowl winning coach again? If this isn't enough we keep paying these guys after they're gone, too. I mean KU is generous to a fault. Literally. Back to the drawing board. I guess while we're building new practice fields, a new stadium, and new whatever else, we need to get a guy who has built a successful program somewhere, whether it's in a professional league, even Arena Football or CFL, Divison II or even III, a juco, wherever. Someone that knows what the heck he's doing. Call me a naysayer but KU is known as the Nayhawks in Bottom 10 after all. Much more of this and I'd say it's time to go the way of the WSU Shocker football program and put this sport out of its misery. I have to pay off my bet that KU football is better than WSU this year! I don't know if I am ready to throw the athletic director under the bus yet. Despite three bad coaches in a row the basketball team will most likely get its 14th title in a row. I don't how the other sports are stacking up. But this football program, like a drug addict or alcoholic, has hit rock bottom and is in dire need of rehab.

Brett McCabe 2 weeks, 5 days ago

Mark, the AD is the first one to go under the bus...in both drive and reverse, followed by drive and reverse. He hired Charlie Weis and Beaty. Why does anything else even have to be said?

Bryce Landon 2 weeks, 5 days ago

Rock bottom? Dude, losing at home to winless Baylor in blowout fashion is ten stories below rock bottom.

Brian Leslie 2 weeks, 4 days ago

You really think that Sheahon Zenger is running the basketball program? If Coach Self felt that Zenger was trying to do anything other that exactly what Self wanted him to do, Zenger would have gone a while back. Let's be generous and give Zenger 1% credit for the basketball program's success because he has kept Self's salary at the top of the heap and didn't get in the way of McCarthy Hall.

John Fitzgerald 2 weeks, 5 days ago

Also, a side note, it was good seeing ESPN’s golden boy get his butt whooped today. I bet ESPN and the CFB Playoff Committee have the cyanide and razor blades ready. I can’t stand Urban Cryer. He’s as sleazy as John Cal.

Brett McCabe 2 weeks, 5 days ago

The focus now is who is our next AD.

The right AD will bring his coach with him or will have the juice to get one. This will be made better because the coach can count on the fact that the AD who hired him will be here for at least 4 or 5 years.

Your primary coaching list includes Leavitt, Bohl, Fritz and Calhoun. Hire an AD with some juice and you can get any of these guys. Hire the Wyoming or Air Force or Tulane AD's and you can bring the coach along.

Who would want to come here as an AD? Well, you have a top-five men's bball program, a women's volleyball team that went to the Final Four, a new Soccer, Softball and Track stadium and a $50-million dollar commitment on a new football stadium. It's a pretty good job. Just hire a football coach who has actually done something.

Layne Pierce 2 weeks, 5 days ago

What doesn't work. 1) The spread offense. We don't have the speed in the receivers, and we don't have the line to make time in the pocket. 2) Bounding qbs back and forth, find the guy, (Stanley, is the better choice), and stick with him. 3) Our defense against the pass. (Keep running dbs in and out, until somebody gets it. 4) Hiring coaches who have never really rebuilt a major college program. (weis was a pro coach, Gill had never really coached division 1, Beatty was not even an OC. 5) The recruiting trap, we can't win, because we don't have really good players, really good players don't go to non-winning programs, so a=b, b=a, and so on, and so forth. Whoever comes here next has to be someone who knows how to build and develop players, and who knows how to see and get the most out of his players. Design the offense and defense around the players we can get, don't make players do something they can't do.

This is a free analysis, KU doesn't owe me anything, except a competitive football team.

Brett McCabe 2 weeks, 5 days ago

By the way, there weren't 10,000 people in the stadium today. The worst I've ever seen....on Dad's day....Gilbert Brown's day.....the Alhoa Bowl team's day.....a winnable matchup.........THIS IS THE ALL TIME LOW POINT FOR KU FOOTBALL. Dispute that.

Bryce Landon 2 weeks, 5 days ago

Since Mark Mangino was forced to resign, we have all endured a lot of wretched football from the Jayhawks. We watched as Turner Gill treated his guys like a high school team and undid everything Mangino had done before. We watched as Charlie Weis treated his guys like an NFL team when they weren't capable of playing like it. Now we've watched as David Beaty has treated his guys like - I don't know what - and ran KU football even deeper into the ground than Gill or Weis combined.

By Year 3 of a rebuild, you should be improved enough to win four games in a season and handle your business against a winless Baylor team. When you not only can't handle your business against the Bears but get blown out by them - in your own stadium, no less - that, for me, is the very last straw.

I am done with Kansas football. I am effing sick of the losing, the bad play, the losing, the blowout scores, the losing, the incompetent coaching, the losing, the overpaid and underachieving coaches and athletic directors, and did I mention the losing? I am fed up with all of it. Nothing is changing, nothing is getting better, and there's no reason to believe it ever will. I have no confidence that David Beaty can turn this program around, and I have no confidence that Sheahon Zenger can hire a coach capable of turning it around. I don't care who gets fired, I don't care who gets hired, I don't care who gets recruited or who transfers in or out of this program. I. Don't. Care. Anymore. There is no fixing Kansas football. So I am done being a Kansas football fan. I'm not going to bother with the last three games of this season, and I will not watch or listen to another KU football game again until I see from the news that real, legitimate, tangible progress is being made.

And before some of you start coming after me as you inevitably will with "don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out", understand this: I have endured as much bad football the past eight or so seasons as you have. I've lasted a lot longer as a KU football fan than could be expected considering how putrid we've been. I stuck with them through the winless season in 2015. And how has my loyalty been rewarded? With more losing - often to teams that no Power 5 program should have any business losing to, and usually in blowout fashion. The time I have spent on KU football is not paying off in any way, shape, or form, and I'm not going to waste my time on it or get my hopes up for KU football anymore.

I will continue to be a Kansas basketball fan, and you'll still see me on these boards in the basketball articles; but from this day forward, I am going to spend Saturdays during the fall doing more productive things with my time - perhaps even following the Iowa Hawkeyes football team. I don't need this pile of crap anymore.

See you all next Tuesday for the Fort Hays State game.

John Kelley 2 weeks, 5 days ago

The score would be the same even against UTEP or New Mexico State.

David Kemp 2 weeks, 5 days ago

Unfortunately for Beaty getting inside the 30 may not happen over the next 3 games

Chris Bailey 2 weeks, 5 days ago

Anyone that thinks Beaty needs to stay out his contract needs a damn catscan! No one will come? Really? Hey we're offering X million a year to coach football. Nah I’ll pass. Give me a break. I don’t care how many coaches we’ve fired we can hire a good one!

Mick Dupas 2 weeks, 5 days ago

ZENGER must go !...he made the last two disaster football coaches hires.

Michael Leiker 2 weeks, 5 days ago

Hate to say it but hold on, it only gets worse the next 3. There is a big piece of me that wishes they'd forfeit. Hate to see guys get hurt

Tracey Graham 2 weeks, 5 days ago

Congrats! Baylor was winless, had played like crap the entire season and still managed to walk over over the Jayhawks.

Look at that picture. How many people even showed up to watch this game? No one seems interested in watching this dumpster fire of a program.This football program is a total embarassment. The entire football staff needs to be fired. And maybe the AD

I don't understand how the program that won the Orange Bowl 10 years ago could have become such a joke in such a relatively short period of time. I don't expect it to compete with the Oklahomas of the world. But it should be able to win more than 1 freaking game a season. The program was no great shakes when I was a student, but it still managed to win 4+ games season. It even went to a bowl game in one of my four years!

I'm seriously thinking that maybe KU should reclassify the football program as an FCS school. There are other schools that have D-I basketball programs and DI-AA (or even lower) football programs, so this wouldn't be unprecedented.

Andy Godwin 2 weeks, 5 days ago

And what conference would you like KU to try and join? The amount of revenue the school receives just by being a member of one of the power 5 conferences would be gone. Even will a terrible football program, KU still receives a lot of money from the Big 12. I guess you are proposing the Wichita State route. I am sure the Missouri Valley conference would take KU now that they have an opening. However, Bill Self would leave, the national exposure of KU basketball would be gone since the TV contracts would be lost, enrollment would take a hit, etc., etc. The option of dropping KU football, even to a lower level would be the worst financial decision possible for the University.

Chris Browning 2 weeks, 5 days ago

After watching us lose, Again, I have come to the conclusion that this is the worse team in the history of Kansas Football. We are in year 3 of the Beaty era, which means he is playing most if not all of the players he's recruited.

To a man, we have 2 division 1 football players on our entire roster and those 2 would start in the MAC, Mountain West, or the Sunbelt. There are NO other players who can play at this level. If they were, would we be getting blown out? If we had real D1 players on this roster, would we be a little more competitive in year 3?

No joke, there was a play today where a Baylor WR ran a simple post and gained 14-19 yards. I backed the play up again to see how did he get so wide open...answer...our CB backed up, turned the wrong way and did a 360 to get back into coverage, while the Baylor WR made a simple post move. Our guy turned his body the wrong way, and spun to regain coverage (lack there of)...I couldn't believe my eyes.

So our 1AA/D2 players who were recruited by this staff are now entrenched within the program for another 1-3 years...and hopefully a new coach.

Barry Weiss 2 weeks, 5 days ago

we suck. this team CLEARLY has quit on Beaty. It's time to go in another direction. Beaty is delusional. He actually thought this was a bowl worth team. He is high.

Steve Corder 2 weeks, 5 days ago

In addition to watching KU-Baylor, I watched the OU-OSU & TCU-UT games. What a contrast! The energy, enthusiasm in pack-out stadiums paints a picture of desolation more vividly than any recitation of a woeful W-L record.

Andy Godwin 2 weeks, 5 days ago

I completely agree. And one can see clearly that the vast majority of the KU student body could careless about their football team and their classmates who take a beating game in and game out for our entertainment. It was embarrassing to see about 300 students in the student section at kickoff. Talk about fair weather fans. These are young men putting their bodies on the line for OUR university and instead of supporting, their peers can't be bother to attend the game. How do you think the players feel when they are warming up or starting the game and see a near empty east side (or filled with KSU fans and their band the previous week). And how can you even begin to recruit top notch players when they see how little the students care about their football team. The enthusiasm at these pack stadiums around the country start with the students. Yes, the football program is in the pits and I am as disappointed and yes angry that "we" are not more competitive. But as a fan base, if you don't continue to support the student athletes, then this program will define new levels of rock bottom (and as indicated above following out of the Big 12 will have ramifications for all of the sports programs at KU). Everyone from the Chancellor on down want to develop a competitive football program and the student body and alumni need to do our share to support the players.

Len Shaffer 2 weeks, 5 days ago

I read the first couple of paragraphs and the first few comments and then I had to stop. I don't know why I even tortured myself into reading that much.

I was at the Penn State game at Michigan State. It was a great game but it was cold and rainy and there was a 3 1/2-hour delay for lightening. And yet I am THRILLED that I was there instead of at KU.

When oh when will this misery end???

Chris Condren 2 weeks, 5 days ago

The KUAD has betrayed all fans of Kansas Football. They have destroyed it yet they still expect folks to show up and watch the games. How stupid do they think we are? All iwith responsibility for the Decade of Despair must be fired. They must be held accountable for their actions. They alone have made Kansas Football the subject national ridicule by the media.

Bryan Mohr 2 weeks, 5 days ago

The word "unacceptable" has no meaning in the absence of consequences.

Jerry Walker 2 weeks, 5 days ago

Correctamundo!!!

Follow that one up with "I take full responsibility for my actions". In today's world -- after committing a faux pas -- all you have to do is utter that useless statement and then go about your merry way with no consequences.

Len Shaffer 2 weeks, 5 days ago

You said it. I was thinking the same thing.

It's like someone “guaranteeing“ a win (or a bowl game?) when there are no consequences for being wrong.

Austin Lopez 2 weeks, 5 days ago

I know a lot of people are saying no good coach would take this mess of a job but why not give Reggie Mitchell a call? If we are going to keep taking shots on unproven HC why not get on the phone with Reggie Mitchell? We know Reggie Mitchell cares about this Kansas football team. Remember when Kansas passing game was struggling and we couldn't throw TD's to save our lifes? We could always count on Reggie Mitchell Runningbacks to punch the football into the endzone. Reggie's runningbacks always showed up to play. Reggie Mitchell have developed some really good players at Kansas so we know what the guy can do. Let's get him on the phone and see what he's got.

Doug Fogleman 2 weeks, 4 days ago

Brett, I agree about the crowd. I've had season tickets since 2006. My seats are on the 50 yard line, top row on the east side. I can see the entire stadium clearly. I take pictures of the crowd nearly ever week. This week was the worst I've seen in 12 years. I have never left early in the twelve years and the crowd just keeps getting smaller. When the stadium seats around 52,000, the stadium should of been close to half full. One out of ten seats gives you 5,000 people.

I also notice that some of the KU players went straight to the locker room after the game. They didn't shake hands with the Baylor players.