Monday, January 23, 2017

Former Derby standout Darreon Jackson commits to Kansas

Kansas University football recruiting

Kansas University football recruiting

A former all-state prep safety from Derby who signed with Boise State out of high school, defensive back Darreon Jackson is the latest member of the Kansas football team’s 2017 recruiting class.

One of three prospects visiting KU this past weekend who arrived in Lawrence not affiliated with the program, Jackson joined cornerback Antonio Cole and receiver Quan Hampton in giving head coach David Beaty his verbal commitment, making the Jayhawks three-for-three in landing their targets.

Jackson, who played at Coffeyville Community College in 2016, told Jon Kirby of Jayhawk Slant he committed to Beaty and defensive coordinator Clint Bowen on Saturday. But Jackson chose to wait until Monday morning to announce his college choice on Twitter.

“Extremely blessed to tell the world that I have committed to the University of Kansas,” Jackson tweeted.

In one season at Coffeyville, the three-star junior college safety made 94 total tackles, 4.5 tackles for loss, forced a fumble, intercepted five passes and broke up six others in 11 games.

With KU losing starting safety Fish Smithson from last year’s team, Jackson told Jayhawk Slant the chance to play early — he’ll have three years of eligibility remaining — influenced his decision to pick Kansas during his official visit.

Two years ago, the former Derby star had offers from KU, Kansas State, Texas Tech and others before he picked Boise State. Jackson took a redshirt in what turned out to be his only season in Boise.

According to a report from the Idaho Statesman, Jackson received a one-semester suspension from the university in 2016, following a Title IX investigation of three football players. The other two players were expelled, while Jackson chose to transfer out of the program.

“To look at where I am now it is a blessing,” Jackson told Jayhawk Slant after committing to Kansas. “A lot of things really changed my life and I’ve been through a lot. This is a good, positive feeling and I thank God I am back to where I should be. There is no feeling like it.”

Jackson also was recruited by Bowen out of high school.

None by Action Jackson🃏

Comments

Michael Sillman 4 months ago

I love it but how in the heck are we giving out all of these scholarships? I thought that we were limited to 16 this year.

Josh Galler 4 months ago

I believe they can use the following year schollys I read somewhere that signing players could be count for the following commitment class

Dirk Medema 4 months ago

Per the TK article in December (which I can no longer find), KU will likely let them arrive on campus in the summer, and give them full scholarships at that time, which like the 9 from last year will count forward as blueshirts. I think this can be accomplished by simply holding the LOI for several, and not submitting them to the NCAA.

Over committing also protects against players decommitting in the final week before signing day.

Len Shaffer 4 months ago

I'm trusting that Beaty has done his due diligence re why Jackson was suspended and that he deserves a second chance. Assuming that's the case, this seems like a good get.

Kevin Fest 4 months ago

I dont like it. Anyone who is involved in that sort of thing especially with the Baylor mess fresh in everyone's mind best to stay away from. Jmo

Ryan Woods 4 months ago

The other two players were kicked off the team, while Jackson was only suspended. Since he was on the recruiting visit in a separate room from where she was pressured, hopefully, he was just an oblivious 18 year old.

Dale Rogers 4 months ago

Several here condemned Bragg without knowing anything about the allegations. We all know how that turned out. Judgment was passed on this guy and he was suspended. I believe our coaches are fully aware of what actually happened and are convinced that's in the past. Have any of you never made a mistake in life and learned from it?

Brett McCabe 4 months ago

That's a lie about Bragg. That's not what happened at all.

Dirk Medema 4 months ago

Good word observation Brett. We all knew of the allegation when some convicted Bragg, we just hadn't gotten enough evidence to realize that they were false allegations.

In Jackson's case, we're not sure even what the allegations were, much less what evidence there was for or against him, or why BSU decided to suspend him. There's just a complete lack of information about Jackson's involvement.

Dirk Medema 4 months ago

Kevin, did you even read the Statesman article. I can't find anything in that says how Jackson was involved. I'm even questioning Dale's question of making a mistake. Again, the article provides no information regarding any mistake that Jackson made.

Chris DeWeese 4 months ago

I hope he learned his lesson at Boise.

Michael Sillman 4 months ago

Beaty is one coach who we can count on doing the due diligence regarding a player with a checkered history. I can't picture Beaty tolerating any player with serious character concerns.

Kevin Fest 4 months ago

Yes Dirk l read it. Reread it yourself and let me know if you still think he is innocent. He didn't get suspended for a year because he did NOTHING!

Dirk Medema 4 months ago

Since there's no information given about BSU's reason for Jackson's suspension or his involvement with the others, I'm definitely not going to create the negative scenario for him.

Instead, focusing on the positive, I'm excited that we have another local player coming back instate, and even better that we have 3 years with him. Does he need to spend the spring semester at the JC, or can he enroll at KU?

Kevin Fest 4 months ago

Lol yes the same attitude Baylor took. Way to go Dirk l hope that your arm doesn't get tired patting yourself on your back.

Dirk Medema 4 months ago

The difference being that Baylor knew about what was going on, and actively suppressed it even after it became public knowledge. I'd say it more closely resembles Carlton's predicament. We're you one of the people calling for his expulsion. Maybe Jackson did do something wrong, but we have absolutely no information of him doing anything wrong.

Could it be that BSU didn't want to be a BU and even penalized an innocent player? Gosh, that would never happen. If your friend tells you they got lucky over the weekend, are you reporting him for sexual assault? If you know that it was an assault, then yes you do have some civic obligation, but in this case we don't know. There's no report of Jackson's involvement, so what did happen Carnac?

No back patting here, but then again I'm not swinging at anyone either.

Dirk Medema 4 months ago

Wish you would have said in your comment above that you were linking a 2nd article with more info. We do at least know the allegation now.

While I don't buy the players' line of show him a good time not meaning sex, it would seem that she would have that same knowledge in joining at least the 3rd event. At that point in particular, it losses a bunch of the innocent victim credibility imo.

More than BU though, it sounds like BSU is still feeling the sting of the previous incidences mentioned. 800,000 needles of sting and they're looking to get rid of as many of those needles as possible.