Originally published May 13, 2016 at 10:36p.m., updated May 14, 2016 at 12:32a.m.

KU adds transfer in Liberty University sophomore center Evan Maxwell

He's a 6-10, 245-pounder who averaged 10 points and 4.8 boards last season

Liberty's Evan Maxwell (15) gets fouled going up for a shot in the first half against William & Mary on Tuesday, Nov. 17, 2015, in Lynchburg, Va. Maxwell, a 6-foot-10 sophomore big man, is transferring from Liberty to Kansas University.

Former Liberty University center Evan Maxwell, a 6-foot-10, 245-pound sophomore out of Clarks Summit, Pa., is headed to Kansas University on a basketball scholarship, Maxwell told the Journal-World on Friday night.

Maxwell, who visited KU earlier this week, chose KU over Baylor, Cincinnati and Virginia Tech and perhaps others.

KU coaches cannot comment on transfers until paperwork is received and processed.

Maxwell, who averaged 10.0 points and 4.8 rebounds a game his sophomore season for the Flames (13-19), is a graduate of Abington Heights High School.

Maxwell hit 63.7 percent of his shots (128 of 201) and 63 of 99 free throws (63.6) his sophomore season at Liberty.

He totaled six blocks, 10 steals, 17 assists, 68 turnovers on the season, logging 21.5 minutes per game.

He started 30 of 32 games as a sophomore.

Coming out of high school, Maxwell chose Liberty over Monmouth, his only other Div. I offer.

Sources say Maxwell will be a scholarship player at KU, thus the Jayhawks still have two scholarships to award for the coming 2016-17 season.

Maxwell showed improvement his sophomore season, as he went for 2.1 points, 1.1 rebounds and 6.0 minutes a game his initial year at Liberty.

“He has good hands, great spirit and teachability, humility, unselfishness and a knack to score the ball,” first-year Liberty coach Ritchie McKay told the Scranton Times last season. “I thought, ‘Man, we’ve got a really good player here.’ I think he’s gotten to the point where he’s not just settling for being above average,” McKay added. “He’s trying to touch greatness.”

He had 22 points and eight boards last season in a loss to Princeton.

“The guys listen to him,” McKay told the Times. “And when you work as hard as he works, I think the other players take the onus and say, ‘I have to step up my effort because, look at Maxwell. He’s giving his very best.’”

Maxwell told the Scranton Times his improvement was helped by his losing 25 pounds the offseason between his first two seasons.

“I’ve gotten a lot stronger, too,” said Maxwell, quicker and more agile his sophomore campaign. “I used to be able to push people around because I was heavy. Now I’m not as heavy, but just as effective.”

Diallo update: Kansas University freshman Cheick Diallo scored nine points and grabbed 10 rebounds in Friday’s NBA Combine scrimmage in Chicago. After that effort, he told ESPN’s Jeff Goodman he will definitely hire an agent and stay in the draft.

Zagsblog.com says Diallo will sign with an agent Monday.

“This is the time for me to go to the next level,” the 6-9 Diallo told Goodman of ESPN.com. “And I’m trying to show the NBA the things I do well — block shots, rebound and run the floor. I can guard multiple positions.”

Diallo interviewed with 12 NBA teams at the combine and according to ESPN’s Chad Ford also told the NBA execs he planned to stay in the draft. He said he will likely work out personally for eight to 10 teams starting next week.

“I am so appreciative of the opportunities I have. I never could have imagined all this five years ago,” said Mali native Diallo, who has been playing ball five years.

He told Zagsblog.com: “The NCAA suspended me for 3-4 months so I came in late, nothing I can do. I was behind everybody. I could not help the team. Sometimes I played three, four minutes in the game but I’m a team player, I don’t get mad, I’m happy for my team every time.”

Of his time at KU, he told Zagsblog that getting a late start while the NCAA examined his high school academic materials, didn’t help any.

“If it’s not NCAA stuff, if the NCAA didn’t suspend me, definitely I play more....I was behind everybody. I just come in late, nothing I can do. I was not mad at the coach. Not mad at anybody, Just keep working hard every day,” he told Zagsblog.com.

Diallo has encouraged other players, including Udoka Azubuike, to sign with KU, Zagsblog reports.

“Basically, I’m not selfish, I do things for Kansas,” Diallo said. “I’m not going to say, ‘Bro, don’t come here.’ I’m not going to say that. He’s asking me. I say, “Kansas is nice.’ If he (Azubuike) committed, fans love you, coach loves you. My time here is totally different. It’s NCAA stuff. It’s totally different.”

Comments

Mike Riches 2 years, 6 months ago

Welcome to Kansas Mr. Maxwell.

Gotta love Cheick's attitude here. He's a great team player and I wish him the best at the next level.

Danny Hernandez 2 years, 6 months ago

Welcome Evan to the Mecca of Basketball and the best basketball housing in the country! Even Thorton's family said the best they've ever seen. Your games only going to get better as will your exposure. The rest is up to you.
I like his size and if he can improve his free throw shooting and a 15 footer to his arsenal, Evan could be a very valuable player when his sit-out years over.

Brian Wilson 2 years, 6 months ago

I think Evan can develop into a good player once Hudy gets a hold of him. But, Evan is 6'10" in shoes and in the grand scheme of things is not a center unless he grows. This move is all about losing a lot of players next year and needing some reserve bigs..

Mason, Self, Svi, Jackson, Lucas, Bragg, leaving us just

Graham
Vick
Clay Young
Colby, Lightfoot
Azubuike, Maxwell

Colby and Maxwell are most likely not starters ever. Lightfoot has a better chance and could play SF. Even with Maxwell, next year we have room for a OAD PF and OAD SF and maybe even another Center this year or next.

Brent Busch 2 years, 6 months ago

Jay Scott 2 years, 6 months ago

A new user ID to spam for that garbage website? It's a dog poo article that's a month old...

Steve Macy 2 years, 6 months ago

Not bad for the kid, out of HS almost no D1 offers, now going to play for KU. Well played. I assume he has to sit for a year, if so he will still be practicing with KU, always a good thing.

Jim Stauffer 2 years, 6 months ago

I assume this means Allen is not coming here.

Dirk Medema 2 years, 6 months ago

There is definitely still room for Allen, especially with Diallo committing. Maxwell is the latest iteration of Hunter. He could develop into providing some minutes, but he was being recruited over even before he committed.

Cameron Schienebeck 2 years, 6 months ago

Being that he has to sit out a year I don't think Allen would let this influence him.

Robert Brock 2 years, 6 months ago

Adding Maxwell is the Big Clue that Jarrett Allen is going to UT. It's over for KU.

Andy Hess 2 years, 6 months ago

How is signing a transfer that has to sit out a year a sign of anything? Jarrett Allen would play immediately. He might go to UT, but this is in no way a sign of anything other than that we had a scholarship or three available.

Brett McCabe 2 years, 6 months ago

I don't normally comment on recruiting, but I'm wondering what Bolden and Allen are waiting for? It's mid-June and they still can't pick a place to play basketball? How hard is it, exactly?

Jay Scott 2 years, 6 months ago

From that statement it's best that you don't comment on recruiting. 1) you don't know what time of year it is. 2) until the deadline passes for NBA Draft decisions there will obviously be recruits who wait.

In fairness, your statements weren't any more idiotic than usual...

Marius Rowlanski 2 years, 6 months ago

Everything aside, it does make you wonder if the love the attention or want to be 100% sure on playing time. These guys (Bolden and Allen) can go anywhere and be the ones scaring away the competition.

Pretty hard to get into the minds of 17 year olds with the possibility of BIG dollar signs in their future.

Dirk Medema 2 years, 6 months ago

Aside from the anxiety of a few fans, there is really no harm in Bolden or Allen waiting, There's not a lot that's changed in the last month, Cheick's commitment is a big change, but I'm not sure how official that is. Really no hurry for either of those guys. There's a schollie waiting at all their schools, and they aren't sitting on just one offer either.

Steve Macy 2 years, 6 months ago

Adding Evan might just mean that his kid brother is 7' tall.
It has nothing to do with Jarrett, who if he has is scared off by a kid with almost no scholarship offers out of HS and is not eligible for a year, we don't need anyway. You have to want to compete to win a spot at KU, it will not be given to you.

Robert Brock 2 years, 6 months ago

Bill Self likes to work the troops hard in practice - and as it stands now, he will have three centers (Lucas, Azubiuke, and Maxwell) and three power forwards (Bragg, Coleby, and Lightfoot). Six good-quality bigs. It would be fun to add Jarrett Allen to the mix. Snacks would have a hard sell on his hands; I doubt that he can close the deal (I don't think that Snacks has closed ANY deal). My guess is that KU will concentrate on bigs from the Class of 2017 now. DeAndre Ayton?

As far as smalls - I hope KU lands transfer Derryck Thornton and perhaps another guard with immediate eligibility.

Ron Sterling 2 years, 6 months ago

This is a fine depth add, but honestly, I'd be surprised if Evan sees even as much floor time as Hunter. His per 40 numbers seem decent, but Liberty isn't exactly playing top competition game in and out, and 6 blocks on the year... I mean, Devonte Graham had 5 last season. It's not that he shouldn't be welcomed, just, gotta think he'd have a bigger role at Baylor or Cincy. Of course, if he can carve out a role against the McD's bigs that we've got, then I'll be as thrilled as anyone. Best of luck.

As for Jarrett, I'm not going to hold my breath, but Diallo's climbing draft stock and decision to hire an agent certainly can't hurt our chances. Getting him would make me believe we're really one of the top 3 teams next season. Right now, I'm a little concerned about our post depth. A lot depends on how ready Azubuike really is, and if not, can Coleby or Lightfoot step in and make an impact right away? I'm cautiously optimistic, but getting a surefire scorer and rebounder like Allen would give me a lot more confidence.

For 2017, the only big guy I know we lead with is Ayton, and the lack of attention he's garnered elsewhere makes me think he'll wind up picking us. The only thing is, he might be in a similar situation to Cheick. The good news on that front is he's not a greenwood, so even if he debut were to be delayed, he'd still be the sort of player that could come in and start immediately. Bad news is, I don't know of any other top big guys leaning our way. Hence the depth play of Maxwell, I think. That said, we'll reload like we always do. I just know we'll need more talented bigs sooner rather than later.

Marius Rowlanski 2 years, 6 months ago

I wasn't going to bring up Hunter Mickelson BUT since you have Ron, I was thinking pretty much the same. Hunter was a much bigger target out of HS.

I think Brock might be on target for having another big in practice and who knows - maybe he will be able to contribute after butting heads w/the other bigs in practice but is he worth a min. of two years on scholarship?

Hard to argue w/success.

As for Diallo, he has really done well at the combines. He participates in all the drills and his athleticism is off the chart.

I wish we would have been able to have him participate from day 1 at KU. He has been very complimentary of his time at KU.