Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Brannen Greene latest Jayhawk to turn pro

3-point marksman plans to hire agent, enter draft

Kansas guard Brannen Greene (14) watches one of his first-half three pointers, Wednesday, Dec. 9, 2015 at Allen Fieldhouse.

Brannen Greene’s three-year Kansas basketball career, filled with three-point marksmanship and trips in and out of coach Bill Self’s doghouse, came to a close Wednesday afternoon with the junior guard announcing he’ll declare for the NBA Draft.

According to KU coach Bill Self’s statement in a release, Greene, like Wayne Selden Jr., plans to hire representation, ending his college eligibility.

Greene became the third Jayhawk in as many days to enter the draft — though freshman Cheick Diallo has not determined yet whether he'll definitely turn pro or simply test the draft process and return to Kansas.

"Brannen has elected to declare for the NBA Draft with the intent of hiring an agent at some point," Self said. "I certainly understand Brannen making this decision. We wish him nothing but the very best. He has an NBA skill that I think will translate very well to the next level. We appreciate his efforts during his time at Kansas."

A 6-foot-7 wing from Juliette, Georgia, Greene shot 49.2 percent from 3-point range this season.

"After talking with my family, weighing the options, and talking with the coaching staff,” Greene said in the release, “I feel like it is the best decision for me moving forward to take my talents to play professionally.”

Greene scored a season-high 18 points on 6-of-6 shooting, 5-of-5 from three-point range, in the season opener against Northern Colorado.

A few days later, Self suspended Greene before KU left for the Maui Invitational for conduct detrimental to the team. In March of 2015, Greene was suspended for KU’s regular-season finale, against Oklahoma. During Greene’s freshman year, Self suspended him one game for “a pattern of irresponsible behavior.”

A three-point specialist, Greene had eight games in his junior season in which he made multiple threes for the Jayhawks. Of his 44 field goals made, 31 were from three-point range. Greene averaged 5.4 points and 2.1 rebounds per game in 12.4 minutes while pulling down four or more boards 10 times his junior season

"I want to thank my teammates for all the great times we had and all the battles we went through together. I want to thank the coaches for taking the time to work with me throughout my three years,” Greene said. “I definitely want to thank the fans. Running out to 16,000 every night, that won't be replaced at all in any way. I want to thank the fans and everybody I met across the campus for their support."

Greene played in 93 games while at KU with three starts. He scored a career-high 19 points in Kansas' win at Georgetown on Dec. 10, 2014, which included a 5-for-5 effort from beyond the arc. For his career, Greene shot 42.2 percent from 3-point range (81 of 192) and 87.2 percent from the free-throw line (102 of 117). Included were consecutive free-throws-made streaks of 21 his sophomore season and 20 in 2015-16.

"It was definitely a big-time high for me when I hit a three in Allen Fieldhouse," Greene said. "Just to see how the crowd reacted and I had a signature three fingers to the head and everybody ran with that. It was fun being in the Fieldhouse. It gave me a ton of energy every time I played there as it did all of my teammates."

Added Self: "Brannen is talented and very competitive," Self said. "This combination should allow him to play professionally for many years to come."

Comments

Rick Willard 2 years, 8 months ago

Good luck, Brent...we'll miss you. DOH! Just kidding.... Too bad he'll miss his senior season. He might have slid into Selden's starting spot, or, at least, gotten a lot more PT to raise his pro prospects. Realistically, I think he's in D-League or Europe next year, but he proves me wrong...more power to him.

Jay Scott 2 years, 8 months ago

A little puzzling. He has an NBA shot but the rest of his game is very weak.

I guess he didn't want to fall victim to the KJ Quarterbrain theory and plummet down the draft boards as a senior like Hield and Valentine did...

Joe Ross 2 years, 8 months ago

I dont know where KJs head is.

That aside, Brannen's defense has not improved appreciably at Kansas. I really dont see him progressing here in an additional season. That being the case, probably a good move for him.

You have to consider that this year has seen many less phenomenal freshmen OAD prospects. In other words, the draft might be less crowded this year and all players might see a boost in their stock as an artifact of the reality. But Im with you in the sense that declaring for the draft and hiring an agent seems puzzling on some level. That being said, I can see this situation more than Diallo making the jump. Cheick is way too...uh, "Greene".

Suzi Marshall 2 years, 8 months ago

It's probably a good thing for Diallo to fully check out his options. If he decided to come back, he most likely will need more than 1 more year to be NBA ready. To his eternal credit, he works hard and has a great attitude.

Janet Olin 2 years, 8 months ago

No problem with either of them checking out their odds. Greene is a dead-on shooter, but the rest of his game, and his maturity especially, are in question. Wish him all the best (but won't miss him).

Joe Ross 2 years, 8 months ago

Well I'll miss him and Im not ashamed to admit it. But the problem is that we are viewing this in how we feel about players and not whats in their best interest. I think from his perspective, it's probably best for him. Even if he doesn't get drafted by the league, basketball is in Brannen's future and he will earn a paycheck somewhere. I feel good about that.

@Suzi, I definitely agree about Cheick checking his stock. Going through this process will give him a comfort level with the process should he make the decision to return. It will also give him some feedback on where he needs to improve and he could work on those things in college if, again, he decides to return.

Dirk Medema 2 years, 8 months ago

So what specifically has been so bad about Greene's maturity?

That he took a meaningless dunk at the end of a game and annoyed some butt hurt rivals?

That he questioned not being in a game when his deadly 3 pt shot could have been the difference in the game? (Should have gone to coach before the public, but many secure pro coaches have had no problem with a player showing such passion..)

That he was suspended twice for unknown reasons? Did the reasons have anything to do with maturity? Maybe? Maybe not?

The reality is Brannon didn't see himself going anywhere on the team, and has an ability that will take him places and pay him for going there. Maybe it's overseas. There have been plenty of players that have made millions doing that, which is a pretty sweet deal.

RJ King 2 years, 8 months ago

Thank you for the voice of reason. The outrage and drama from our fan base is undeserved. I will be sorry to see Greene go.

If the pot rumors from Louisville are true (and Aaron Paisley usually knows what he's talking about), then I do understand that Self needed to force him out. Especially if, in any way, it cost the team (or coach) focus or attitude in the Villanova game.

But again, I think the vitriol directed at Greene is pretty over the top.

KJ Quartermaine 2 years, 8 months ago

Resorting to name calling, huh? Jay Scott-Hypocrite.

Did Valentine actually improve his stock? You know, since he's projected to go in the 20s. Glad picking on someone on a message board makes you feel better about your life

Jay Scott 2 years, 8 months ago

If you don't want your thoughts scrutinized, don't post them in public.

Kristen Downing 2 years, 8 months ago

Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha...so much for back problems. What a head case.

Phil Leister 2 years, 8 months ago

Sigh..... He's going to go down as one of the most frustrating Jayhawks of all time. Sadly, I won't miss him too incredibly much.

David Kemp 2 years, 8 months ago

Wow our needs on recruiting are growing by the minute. Starting five could be solid but bench growing thin. If svi declares we are in deep ssssss

Ryan Zimmerman 2 years, 8 months ago

who's starting? problem is we aren't starting the best. We're starting what we have and that wing position is looking really slim. Svi gets it by default if he stays. But no depth at all on the wing. Vick better be ready to play if we don't land Jackson or Ferguson. Because I don't anticipate Lightfoot being played anywhere outside the lane.

Aaron Paisley 2 years, 8 months ago

As of today, the starting 5 next year would be Mason, Graham, Svi, Bragg, and Lucas. There wouldn't be much depth behind them, but that's a pretty good starting 5.

Lightfoot is skinnier than Bragg is, if he gets minutes next year, most of them will be outside the paint on offense. He is a stretch 4 like Perry and Marcus with 3 point range so he is a fit to play in the high post and feed the low post in the high-low.

Matthew Neatherlin 2 years, 8 months ago

I don't feel like we are as thin as it really feels. In any position I think the only thing we really need is a productive wing. Graham has shown that he is ready to be more productive and have a bigger role next year. As for the post position it feels like we have all forgotten about Azubuike. He already has an NBA body in my opinion. The number four center at top twenty-five prospect. He will give Landon a run for the starting position by the end of the season. There is also Dwight Colbey who will be ready to play next year. I think at least one of these players will jump over Lightfoot for playing time. and leave us with a four post rotation and an odd man out.

Jay Scott 2 years, 8 months ago

Check out recent photos and video of Lightfoot.

Marius Rowlanski 2 years, 8 months ago

I hope Lightfoot can play the 3 or he won't be getting many minutes.

Dirk Medema 2 years, 8 months ago

Vick has already shown glimpses of being ready, but we really need Jackson or Ferguson to solidify the wing.

Certainly hope we find an elite 1 next year, or coach finds another diamond in the rough this summer.

Marius Rowlanski 2 years, 8 months ago

I think Vick was ready to play this year. I'm still puzzled on why he wasn't given enough time to help develop his game. Greene certainly didn't do much to improve over the last couple of years. He basically tries to get open with enough time to get his shot off. He is still unable to create space when needed. Too bad he hasn't learned how to shoot a step back jumpshot. I hope Svi sticks around as his game has improved from year-to-year so far and I'm sure he will be even better next year.

Brian Wilson 2 years, 8 months ago

We will be better than ok:
1. Mason
2. Graham, Vick
3. Svi,
4. Lucas, Coleby, Bragg, Lightfoot
5. Azubuike
Recruiting we have offers out to Jackson, and Coprew at the guard spots and we still have offers out to big men Thon Maker, Tureaon Thompson, Marques Bolden, and Jarret Allen.
And surprisingly, there are some really good senior rule transfer guards that could come our way.

Suzi Marshall 2 years, 8 months ago

Greene certainly did light up AFH like few others when he was on his game. Greene will be missed but his unrealized full potential will be missed most of all.

There are so many back-stories coming out of Lawrence coupled with the incoming class that seems likely to include Jackson and maybe TFerg, it's hard to separate fact from fantasy.

Self has to have been one busy guy talking with all the players this week before leaving for Houston. It's more than intriguing that Mykailiuk has said nothing, yet. I suspect we will hear something from him tomorrow or Friday.

David Kemp 2 years, 8 months ago

Hoping he will stay because depth becomes a big problem unless you play graham and mason way too much

Craig Alexander 2 years, 8 months ago

If Svi stays, then he and Vick are going to be playing a lot next year! I'm good with that and this makes even more PT for Jackson. Come on down!!

Austin Bergstrom 2 years, 8 months ago

81 threes in three years isn't lighting it up in my eyes. It's been way too long since we have had a legit 3 point shooter.

Suzi Marshall 2 years, 8 months ago

Not saying he was lit it up consistently. Those times he did builds the appetite for someone to do it consistently. When was the last big gun that played a lot and hit the 3 ball consistently...Clark Kellogg?

Mick Allen 2 years, 8 months ago

Dirk and Suzi, the 3 point basket rule was not implemented until the 1987 season. Unfortunately neither Ron nor Calvin had that weapon in their arsenal as both graduated before 1987

Brian Wilson 2 years, 8 months ago

Every time i see a blog about three's I think back to Ron Kellog and Calvin Thompson in 1985, the year before the three. We lost in the Final Four and I keep thinking if we had had the three those guys would have won it all. Those guys made shots from the Burge. Also surprising that neither one made the Pro's.

Pius Waldman 2 years, 8 months ago

My point might be whether he can even get a 2nd round pick. Probably looking at overseas play.

Ryan Zimmerman 2 years, 8 months ago

Could have had a starting role this season. He has to be going overseas... I can't imagine NBA picking him up in a non starting role

Jay Scott 2 years, 8 months ago

There was no way he would start or even get big minutes.

Corey Sparks 2 years, 8 months ago

Don't get this one at all. But I won't really miss him at all either.

John Myers 2 years, 8 months ago

Certainly wish him the best, but this seems likely to be a decision that backfires. I'd be surprised if he's even a second round pick.

Aaron Paisley 2 years, 8 months ago

There's a rumor going around that Greene was caught smoking weed at the team hotel in Louisville and if true, that's strike 5 against Greene at KU with the 3 suspensions and d*** move at the end of the KSU game so this may not be BG leaving voluntarily and may be more in line with Naadir Tharpe's departure 2 years ago of being forced out but Self allowing him it to seem like a voluntary move.

Suzi Marshall 2 years, 8 months ago

Yes but those rumors have always been around Greene. One thing is certain about Greene, he's very popular amongst his teammates. I'm convinced Mason made that layup at the end of the MD game as a symbol of solidarity with Greene, which is cool in my book.

Aaron Paisley 2 years, 8 months ago

This would still be the 3rd strike against Greene just this season. I seriously doubt this is Greene leaving on his own accord because there's absolutely no chance of him being drafted. BG's defense makes James Harden look like an All-NBA caliber defender.

Joe Ross 2 years, 8 months ago

I know its not your point, but a rumor is not a strike. Neither is the dunk at the end of KSU (if the dunk by Mason isnt one). Its just not.

Aaron Paisley 2 years, 8 months ago

If the rumor is true, it absolutely is a strike because the rumor is the cop that caught Greene took him straight to Self, and considering the way Self handled that dunk, I'd say Self viewed it as a strike.

Either way, this isn't Greene voluntarily leaving, this him "voluntarily" leaving the way Naadir Tharpe and Connor Frankamp "voluntarily" left KU.

Joe Ross 2 years, 8 months ago

"ifs" and rumors are not facts. The dunk is not a strike. And your final assertion is based on speculation, not fact, at least until such point as facts are revealed.

Aaron Paisley 2 years, 8 months ago

There's some pretty credible sources out there saying Greene leaving is not entirely voluntary and this is a Naadir Tharpe/Connor Frankamp type situation where it was either leave KU on your own or get kicked off the team. Greene's dad said Greene never thought of transferring so going pro was the other option.

Use a little bit of deductive reasoning here. Greene hadn't played more than 11 minutes in a game since mid-February, Svi had jumped him in the rotation, and yet BG realistically thought he's good enough to turn pro?

There's something in that equation that doesn't add up. Past history when similar situations have happened, Naadir Tharpe transferring and KU signed Graham the next day, find out soon after about the naked selfie. Connor Frankamp leaving KU after school started last year and losing a semester of eligibility from his transfer. Situations like that happen because those kids did stuff that burned their bridge at KU. BG burned his bridge at KU and this was Self giving Greene a chance to save face as best as possible.

Dirk Medema 2 years, 8 months ago

Connor? Are there any strikes at all there?

Tom Jones 2 years, 8 months ago

Naa's and Conner's situations were nothing alike. Conner left because he saw the writing on the wall regarding playing time. Tharpe was told to GTFO.

Joe Ross 2 years, 8 months ago

So "credible sources" equals confirmation? What about Gottlieb as a credible source who said Roy Williams was thinking about retiring? That kind of credible? Or some other kind? No matter how you slice it, "credible sources" do not equate with confirmation. If it is confirmed in the future, that does not change this reality as of now.

Secondly, please explain why dunking at the end of a game is a strike for a player in one situation, but not for two others in the exact same situation (Johnson, Mason)...and please do so from an objective, unbiased perspective.

And are we equating shooting people with BB guns and domestic violence (which are illegal) with dunking at the end of a game as "strikes in the system"? Is this our thinking now? Because I call that preposterous.

I guarantee you that dunk would not have factored into Coach Self's decision to remove him from the program if he could. It's too bad that so many can look back on the situation and deem it as the overreaction that it was but that you use something like that--which is hypocritical, by the way, considering the cases of Johnson and Mason--to call that a strike. Again, was it a strike in those cases too?

Jay Scott 2 years, 8 months ago

It's a bad joke by a childish troll. Sorry Joe. When people, you included say stupid things, they'll still be challenged. You can handle it. Our troll friend can't.

Rae Bricil 2 years, 8 months ago

your comment may break the all time record for likes.

Jay Scott 2 years, 8 months ago

Copying someone else's avatar and ID. Childish troll move. Flagged for removal.

Jonathan Allison 2 years, 8 months ago

Oh, how I miss the old days before the World Company forced users to give up their "anonymity" in order to create a less hostile posting environment.

At least when users were "anonymous" there could only be one poster per username. Now we have two Jay Scotts? the_muser (the original??) and NoImJayScott (the imposter??)

Look how much good the Facebook Link is doing now in order to remove anonymity and create a "less hostile posting environment"....

Just let us post under our usernames and at least each is unique...

RJ King 2 years, 8 months ago

Well, actually under the old system, the same person could actually create several profiles. I know, because one person with 3 profiles was stalking me.

But what I DO miss, are the two or three dozen regular posters who offered knowledge and comments which were enlightening, intriguing, and amusing. It was a "grown up" board - where the great majority of posts were both interesting and civil. (I know they've moved to "Buckets." But that site is more difficult for me to navigate.) Since we've lost that great nucleus, the percentage of childish posts has gone WAY up.

Jay Scott 2 years, 8 months ago

Why would anyone stalk RJ? You're the most rational and insightful participant here.

Jay Scott 2 years, 8 months ago

Copying someone else's avatar and ID. Childish troll move. Flagged for removal.

Tom Jones 2 years, 8 months ago

OK, now that I know this is fake, I want to like it again...

Richard Holmes 2 years, 8 months ago

Glad he's going. Gave us a bad name and cannot dribble without a turnover.

Suzi Marshall 2 years, 8 months ago

I'll never forget the turnover he made in the Florida game his freshman year when he killed our improbable comeback. He never improved his handle or defensive capabilites much. What a shame, he seems like such a great guy.

Jay Scott 2 years, 8 months ago

Copying someone else's ID and avatar? Childish troll move. Flagged for removal.

John Myers 2 years, 8 months ago

Of course, Graham and Mason did the same thing against Villanova..

Jonathan Allison 2 years, 8 months ago

Mason, Graham, and Selden played their hearts out in the game. They were all-in. Unfortunately Mason and Selden were all-off from three. What cost us was that we didn't make any adjustment to get Perry some shots. There's no excuse for him only getting 5 attempts. The other thing was offensive rebounding. We only got 5 ORs off of 27 missed FGs. The TOs were bad, some were real bad, but give credit to Nova for most of that. We still should have won the game. Also, we got penalized for aggressive defense by touch fouls. That really upset the game plan. Nova got some bogus calls too, but it seemed like many of theirs were "make-up" calls for a bad call against Kansas.

John Myers 2 years, 8 months ago

To be clear, I wasn't implying that their turnovers totally cost us - I agree with everything you said. Just pointing out that in a critical moment at the end of the game, they both had pretty careless TOs.

Andy Tweedy 2 years, 8 months ago

The whole time I'm reading these responses about him starting, all I kept thinking was exactly what you point out...he can't dribble. He probably dunked against K-State because he couldn't even effectively dribble out the clock. But best of luck to him, that shot sure is pretty when he's on!

Craig Alexander 2 years, 8 months ago

I wish he could have honed his edge into being more competitive on the defensive and offensive end. Would have been a huge piece if he could have done that for next year.

Perhaps he saw this year that Svi was coming on strong, Vick was making huge strides and could see the writing on the wall of Jackson coming (I hope)...

Scott Lippoldt 2 years, 8 months ago

I think this is best for all involved. I was cringing to think of Greene eating up minutes as a preferred senior in Self's system that other guys with better overall skills deserved. It will be interesting to see where his career takes him, because he will have to demonstrate much more discipline, maturity, and work ethic to make it as a professional basketball player. Also, I personally think Self gave him more than enough chances, and if the above comment about weed is true, it likely was a mutually agreed upon parting.

Considering I haven't seen his name on any of the NBA boards, I assume he would play somewhere overseas? Best of luck to him, but personally, I was happy about this announcement.

Jay Scott 2 years, 8 months ago

The best case scenario was that he grow up and earn 10 minutes per game. This is the second best.

Joe Ross 2 years, 8 months ago

I wonder now about the chances at landing both Jackson and Ferguson. Alot of space is being freed up among the guards.

Ryan Zimmerman 2 years, 8 months ago

Our wings and guards are looking very, very slim. If Svi leaves, then what? We have to land one of the remaining guys. Jackson, Ferguson...either. But imperative we get one. The depth is there underneath I suppose with Lucas/Coleby/UZ maybe Diallo (doubtful)and possibly Lightfoot. Other than Vick, we have nothing for the outside if Svi is gone. Even if Svi stays, there's still zero depth

Jay Scott 2 years, 8 months ago

To help ease your angst, Put the roster of the 2011-12 team that made the finals beside next year's roster.

Jesse Johnson 2 years, 8 months ago

Wow. Landing Josh Jackson or Terrance Ferguson, or both, just became huge priorities for Self. Definitely thin at the wing now.

Dirk Medema 2 years, 8 months ago

Josh said that he's not announcing til later, but that doesn't mean that he hasn't told coach in confidence. Coach than has the opp to talk to his players that much more candidly.

Jonathan Allison 2 years, 8 months ago

Count me as surprised that he is intending to hire an agent. Though I'm not surprised that he'd declaring for the draft.

I will admit, a couple days ago I was watching sportscenter and as the ticker was scrolling I caught the tail end of the news that Diallo was declaring for the draft and all I saw was "... did not play in final 3 games of NCAA tourney for KU" My instant reaction was to think it was an announcement that Greene had announced as a transfer. But then I recalled that he did play in the second round game.

I wish him the best and enjoyed watching him drill threes at KU. Would have been nice to have that shooting in Louisville. I hope that those rumors are wrong. If they are true, then hopefully he gets serious about his career quickly. I do believe that with his size and his shooting ability that he could play in the NBA, especially with the focus on three point shooting that there is now. But he has to learn to guard and has to keep his head in the game.

Mick Allen 2 years, 8 months ago

It's not just his defensive limitations that make an NBA career doubtful. As we all know he is a catch and shoot guy who relies solely on penetration and kick out by a guard to get his shot. He can not create his own shot as his ball handling skills are limited and he does not move without the ball to get the spacing to free himself for his shot. Quite often he remained stationary in one of the corners. I'm sure he'll make good money overseas though.

Steve Macy 2 years, 8 months ago

Wow, this was surprising, good luck Brannen, sweet shot.

Still plenty of talent left, and some scholarships open. Coach Self will try his best to fill them with the best possible. RCJH

Robert Brock 2 years, 8 months ago

The kid can shoot but that is his only capability. If he wants to make money playing basketball, I suggest that he buy or rent some Rosetta Stone tapes - Greek perhaps. The NBA D League just doesn't pay well.

Scott Lippoldt 2 years, 8 months ago

Hopefully there won't be any more surprises (i.e., Svi hiring an agent). With no more defections, IMHO, this probably has been the perfect "thinning of the herd." Actually, I had looked forward to watching Diallo's development next year, but he probably would really have to fight for minutes. I would hate to see his draft stock slip any further. Now if we can just pick up Jackson, next year looks to be another special year...

Dale Rogers 2 years, 8 months ago

Best of luck to Brannan Greene in his new future and thank you for your contributions these past years.

Mallory Briggans 2 years, 8 months ago

the state of the team is not good ......self doesnt get a pass on how he handled his roster his tirades and at times throwing the team under the bus.......you keep some things in house .....why recruit 5 star players and let them sit the bench.........are their egos of course ....players that are used to playing just want to play .........

Steve Macy 2 years, 8 months ago

No games until November, they will be o.k..

Dirk Medema 2 years, 8 months ago

Self gets the same pass that Cal got 3 years ago. Sometimes some players just don't buy in as much as required. Maybe that'll work better in the pro's. Maybe not.

The reality to the 5 stars is be ready to compete. Bring your A game, or be ready to watch and learn. Lots of counter examples - the previous couple years. Jojo and Kelly both work themselves into first round picks. Cliff, Brannon and others not so much.

Mick Allen 2 years, 8 months ago

Obviously the Associated Press,who named him coach of the year, has a different opinion of Coach Self than you have expressed. But what do they know? Right Mallory?

Arthur Ankeney 2 years, 8 months ago

Greene is a great player that did not mesh well with the KU system. I thought he would transfer but as a junior you can't really do that because of the lost year of eligibility. That leaves "going pro." That term "going pro" is used intentionally. He will not be going to the NBA, but he will be getting paid minimum wage in the D-league. He has a great shot, but his arrogance held back his success at KU and unfortunately will follow him. Unless he turns a new leaf, he will only be a shooter and not a basketball player. I hope it changes, but I doubt it changes. He left because he has no future at KU, not because he's going to be an NBA player next year.

Steve Corder 2 years, 8 months ago

Realistic move. The hand writing is on the wall, and he read it well.

Brett McCabe 2 years, 8 months ago

Brannen's path here has been bit swirvey, and the serious injury he suffered certainly had to have an impact on his development this year but I wish nothing but the best for him. I could definitely see him having success internationally, make a few million, see the world. Not a bad result.

I hope to see him back here for Self's summer camps, and I hope that he finds a way to finish his degree. RCJHK!

Suzi Marshall 2 years, 8 months ago

I also would like to see Greene complete his degree and believe he's better off with international ball.

Jay Scott 2 years, 8 months ago

Well put. Good to see you back. Interesting that pathetic fake Jay makes childish Trump comments and appears at the same time as you reappear with your Obama logo......

F Steven Blazer 2 years, 8 months ago

I'm sure there are plenty of NBA teams that don't have dribbling and defense as part of their game plan. I think his best bet for long term income might have been a college degree.

Matthew Neatherlin 2 years, 8 months ago

I think he made the right move. I don't see him getting any more playing time than he did this year. Even with losing Selden you have to believe Self will bring in someone. (Hopefully it will be Josh Jackson.) If that is the case his playing time stays the same of even goes down.

Jesse O'Brien 2 years, 8 months ago

It's crazy reading most of these comments. I start to question some of your fandom. Greene was a lights out shooter, maybe it was just me, but watching him shoot was one of the most enjoyable times of the season. How does he not translate to the NBA? He shoots lights out, doesn't play defense.sounds like a pro to me. Lots of issues with coach over the years, but you can't tell me the only issue with those suspensions were that he wasn't out there playing because we all felt we needed him out there shooting. I'll miss him because of his stroke, he's truly gifted, reminded me so much of Jeff B. Good luck brannen, this is one Jayhawk fan that will truly miss you! Rock chalk 14!

Barry Weiss 2 years, 8 months ago

We can't afford to lose many more. Hopefully Self bags a few more. I hope the Diallo situation does not scare off any other McD all-am. His was a unique deal.

Aaron Levine 2 years, 8 months ago

I really don't get some of KU b-ball followers. The sky is not falling b/c Diallo was not ready to play at the college level. Anyone could see when he was on the court the game was moving too fast for him. Moving screens, fouls, waiving his finger when the ball was still in play...This doesn't change the fact that Embiid, Wiggins, and Selden started as freshman just a couple years ago, Oubre last season. The Morris Twins, TT, Sherron, Rush, Chalmers, J Wright, Shady, Xavier...the list goes on and on. Lots of highly touted bigs play limited roles as freshman. This is not going to play into KU recruiting. If we miss out on any incoming recruits, don't try to point to Diallo not being ready to play. I personally think he will be told he is too raw and a second round pick. We will see how desperate the kid is for money now.

David McGee 2 years, 8 months ago

I had a feeling Greene was leaving, I just wasn't sure exactly how. This seems to be the best possible way of doing so for all involved.

Reading between the lines this year has been an interesting exercise. Self's outreach to his players in finding the fifth starter seem to me to be an example of him trying to placate players who may have been angry with his ongoing treatment of Greene throughout his multiple suspensions (insofar as it was an olive branch to make them feel they had some input on the team). I guess I think at least some of these players don't like Self. How we as fans feel about the whys and wherefores of such a situation is not really relevant, I'm just laying it as I see it from the outside. The Mason layup at the end of the game could have just been a layup - or it could have been a little bit of rebellion. Basically it appears there is a streak of intransigence in some players. It's probably not just a recent thing either, but rather somewhat long-standing. They all know the details here that we don't necessarily have and it remains to be seen if this final handling of Greene will have any effect on Self's bond with his team next year. Mason, Selden and maybe even Lucas are my guesses for the players who might be resentful. Selden doesn't matter so much now (since he's going pro) but did at the time.

All of this could be hogwash because reading between the lines is really hard sometimes. But I do think there is some truth to some of it at least.

Regarding Greene the player I was never really impressed with him. You can make a lot of points but when you are a screen-door on defense and a turnover-machine whenever you try to dribble the ball, I just don't see a very large net gain. There is no one on the team that has his proficiency from deep, but we still have a lot of very good shooters that also happen to be able to play defense and dribble the ball. Mason, Graham, and Vick can all shoot pretty well from the perimeter. Svi too if he comes back. Our front line will be getting some size as well so even with graduations and early draft declarations, we have a strong core and good incoming players to start next year. The future is bright.

Bryce Landon 2 years, 8 months ago

So...another bench player thinks he can make it professionally? Talk about delusions of grandeur. But, if the one poster said above that Greene was caught with "the lettuce", then it's good riddance.

David McGee 2 years, 8 months ago

@bryce

I think he will find a spot on a professional team somewhere I just don't think it will be in the NBA. He could still make a lot of money in Europe or China.

Harlan Hobbs 2 years, 8 months ago

I basically put this in the category of "nothing ventured, nothing gained." After three years, he hasn't gotten any better, and he probably wasn't in KU's plans that much for next year. Therefore, given the great class that appears to be coming out next year at his position, he might as well try to get somewhere on his reputation as a shooter, which frankly I believe was overblown.

Spot up shooters typically don't make it in the NBA, and Brannen has shown no ability to create a shot for himself. Therefore, if he has any hope at all, it will have to be overseas. I wouldn't bet on that either.

Jay Scott 2 years, 8 months ago

He isn't likely to play any more minutes at KU if he won't defend and buy in either.

Harlan Hobbs 2 years, 8 months ago

Also, if KU lands Josh Jackson, don't be surprised if Svi doesn't return either. I hope he does return, but the dominoes seem to be falling. I just hope we can count on Frank Mason and Devonte Graham staying around. They definitely have brighter futures than Brannen Greene in my opinion.

Brian Skelly 2 years, 8 months ago

Does anyone remember a few weeks ago when some kid from SEMO who rode the bench 'declared' for the NBA draft? Im confident Greene will have a more productive professional career than that kid. But thats about the extent of it.

This smacks of him being delusional, and Self ready to get rid of a headache. Regardless, its probably best for all that he's leaving. He's got no shot at getting drafted. He'll likely get a shot in the D-League though. If Brady Morningstar can kick around the D-League for a few years, Greene can. And while he's a really good shooter, he's got little to no handle at all. I think I could pick him, and im in my 40's. He'll find places to play of course, if he chooses too. I just dont think the NBA is going to be one of those places. But if he wants to play for money, he'll find a place i'd think. Good luck Mr. Greene.

Dirk Medema 2 years, 8 months ago

Later in the season, I started wondering why Brannen wasn't taking 3's - at all - during games. This all makes me wonder if he felt he had made his point about being a ridiculous 3 shooter, and wasn't going to endanger it. Was just going through the motions, filling a roll. He did seem to really step up in rebounding, though he's not going to get massive #'s from the 3 slot.

Harlan Hobbs 2 years, 8 months ago

Interesting theory, Dirk. Hadn't thought about it, but you could be right on the mark.

Rob Byrd 2 years, 8 months ago

I don't know if it's been said, as I haven't read all of the comments yet, but I get the feeling that maybe Self might have encouraged Wayne, and definitely Brannen, to explore their options. I'm thinking these moves will work very well for us in the recruiting situations of several players. I hate to see Wayne go, but think this draft might work out to be his best opportunity at his age.

Brian Wilson 2 years, 8 months ago

Wayne is at his peak draft level now. The only reason to stay is emtional. Selden will draft high enough to get some decent money upfront for signing. That may not be true next year in a deeper draft class.

Armen Kurdian 2 years, 8 months ago

Good luck BG. Please work on the rest of your game and work on that discipline. You're up against stiff competition. Make us proud in the NBA.

Mallory Briggans 2 years, 8 months ago

hey mick you mind clarifying what you meant.......not sure what you are saying .....thank you

Harlan Hobbs 2 years, 8 months ago

Mallory, I doubt that Mick will take your bait, but knowing him as I do, I don't think he'll mind my taking a shot at explaining his comment. He is clearly saying that your assessment of Coach Self's year is malarkey.

First of all, Coach Self didn't recruit Diallo to have him sit on the bench. I'm sure he was hoping that Cheick would develop into being a major contributor. However, for whatever reason, he didn't. I don't think we have to point blame at anyone. Those were just the outcomes that occurred in the best interests of the team.

As far as "tirades" and "throwing people under the bus", I could ask what you are talking about. However, I will assume that you are referring to the incidents with Brannen Greene. If not, you need to clarify.

Brannen's missteps have been thoroughly documented and vetted. Perhaps, coach's reaction to the dunk at the end of the first KSU game was a little excessive, but that's clearly debatable. It was a bush league act by Brannen, but my guess is that Coach Self is so conscious of KU's reputation for good sportsmanship that he didn't want to leave any doubt about how he viewed the incident. Also, while I don't think it really crossed his mind at the time, I'm sure that Coach Self doesn't like giving a future opponent "bulletin board" material.

In short, Mallory, I think you know what Mick was saying. You just prefer to prolong an argument that you can't possibly win against the vast majority of KU fans who feel that Coach Self and his staff are one of the best in the country. Obviously, the AP agrees, so what you, or I for that matter, believe doesn't amount to a hill of beans.

Mick Allen 2 years, 8 months ago

Thanks again Harlan. Your response to Mallory is exactly what I intended.