Saturday, October 11, 2014

Fieldhouse not filled to capacity

Spotlights shine on Jayhawk fans as they wait with anticipation while the team is introduced during Late Night in the Phog on Friday, Oct. 10, 2014 at Allen Fieldhouse.

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

Bill Self praises freshmen following Late Night

Kansas University men's basketball coach Bill Self provides insight on where he got his Andrew Wiggins outfit, praises KU's freshmen for their play in the team's 37-all scrimmage and shares that sophomore big man Landen Lucas has a minor leg injury that kept him out. Plus, plenty more regarding the ...

Download podcast

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

Wayne Selden and Cliff Alexander talk Late Night highlights

Kansas University sophomore guard Wayne Selden and freshman forward Cliff Alexander field questions from the media, following a 37-37 tie in the team's Late Night in the Phog scrimmage.

Download podcast

Just 14,000 fans attended the 2014 Late Night in the Phog on Friday night in Allen Fieldhouse.

“The attendance was what I expected, but it wasn’t anything like it’s always been. I’m so appreciative of the fans who did come out,” KU coach Bill Self said.

He knew the fact the Royals were beginning a playoff series against Baltimore might eliminate the possibility of the usual packed house.

“I don’t think the weather helped. Obviously last year’s thing (students rushing the entrances) discouraged a lot of people after they couldn’t get in and came long distances. I think we corrected that (people entered the building at 1 p.m.), but I don’t think there was confidence we had. The accident on K-10, I heard, was awful. That’s more important than anything going on here. I’m sure that took away quite a bit. The ones here I thought were enthusiastic and good.”

Lucas out two weeks: KU sophomore Landen Lucas did not play. He is ticketed to miss the next two weeks because of a stress fracture in his lower leg.

“We think it’s a situation where it is already healing,” Self said. “It’s something that hadn’t been bothering him until late. After getting it checked yesterday, we found it’s already beginning the healing phase.

“It’s something you could play with if you had to. There’s no reason to. He should be back in two weeks and have two to three weeks before the first game. If we were in season, we’d play him if we needed to.”

Recruits cheered: A whopping 17 recruits received a loud ovation when they walked through the northwest tunnel to sit behind KU’s bench at 7:57 p.m.

Seniors on hand making official visits were Rivals.com’s No. 2-rated Jaylen Brown, 6-7, Wheeler High, Marietta, Georgia; No. 10 Stephen Zimmerman, 7-foot, Bishop Gorman High, Las Vegas; No. 14 Carlton Bragg, 6-9, Villa Angela St. Joseph High, Cleveland; No. 18 Brandon Ingram, 6-8, Kinston (North Carolina) High; and No. 19 Tyler Dorsey, 6-4, Maranatha High, Pasadena, California.

Juniors in the house: No 4 Jayson Tatum, 6-7 guard, St. Louis Chaminade; No. 6 Malik Monk, 6-3 guard, Bentonville (Arkansas) High; No. 13 De’Aaron Fox, 6-3 point guard, Cypress Lakes High, Katy, Texas; No. 28 Marques Bolden, 6-9 forward, DeSoto (Texas) High; No. 42 Schnider Herard, 6-10 center, Prestonwood Christian, Plano Texas; No. 66 Nick Rakocevic, 6-10 forward, St. Joseph’s, Westchester, Illinois; and No. 93 Tyler Cook, 6-8 forward, St. Louis Chaminade.

And sophs on hand: No. 2 Troy Brown, 6-6 point guard, Las Vegas Centennial; No. 24 Mitchell Ballock, 6-4 combo guard, Eudora High, unranked Trae Young, 6-1 combo guard, Norman (Oklahoma) High; and unranked DaMonte Williams, 6-2 point guard, Peoria (Illinois) Manuel. Williams is the son of former Illinois guard Frank Williams, who played for Self at U of I. A member of the Class of 2018, Tim Finke, 6-3 from Champaign, Ill., also attended.

No trampling this year: KU officials opened the doors for Late Night at 1 p.m. — two hours ahead of schedule. The reason? Thousands of fans were standing in a long, winding line outside Allen Fieldhouse on a rainy day.

There was the usual mad dash for seats. The students sprinted to the south end-zone bleachers when they discovered the north end-zone seats were reserved for current KU student-athletes.

Nobody was trampled, though a few students could be seen scrambling for phones they dropped. The fieldhouse was about half full by 3 p.m.

A year ago, doors opened at 5:30 p.m. for a 6:30 p.m. show. Students raced to the front of the line and forced their way in, knocking many older fans out of the way.

Comments

Gerry Butler 4 years ago

its some what disappointing to hear the fieldhouse wasn't packed like usual. understand that the royals were playing, but year in and year out have heard how people have been turned away because the place was full no seating available, so where were the people that get turned away? here was a perfect opportunity. if you a full blown hawk fan you would continue to take the chance year in year out make a few minor adjustments to be able to watch the scrimmage, here was the opportunity. just kinda little disappointing that's all. especially when we use this as such as a HUGE recruiting tool, seeing not a packed arena MAY be just enough for some of the players we are recruiting to say HUH maybe yes maybe no. just sayin. maybe I'm off base. very well could be, just find it some what surprising that's all. GO HAWKS

Rick Hurst 4 years ago

I've missed two Late Nights. The first one with Larry Brown because I didn't know about it until after it was held and last year. I stood in line last year for hours only to be turned away at the door after the students rushed the doors when they opened. When I heard the only plan was to open the doors earlier this year I decided to miss my third Late Night. I don't have any faith in out current AD to get things done correctly.

I have several friends that didn't go this year for the same reason. You can call us bad fans if you like but we all have contributed to the Williams funds for 20+ years, had seats since Larry Brown arrived in 83 and frequently go on the road to see the team.

I'm excited to see the team this year and was fortunate that someone posted a live feed so I could watch the scrimmage.

Tyler Daniels 4 years ago

Those students had been camping out since the night before to get in. COLLEGE athletics is about COLLEGE students. As a student, it seemed to me that the general public were the ones to rush across the field and cause the mess. Things were handled excellently this year. The doors were opened much earlier, students were given their own separate entrance, and security made sure the lines didn't break down into mobs. The AD that you have no faith in did an outstanding job. If you really want to get in, have the passion us students have and camp out all night instead of using your wallet as an excuse to get special treatment.

kellerman411 4 years ago

Yeah, camp out at the University.. You'll understand when you get older but that's just not realistic. I hate to tell you this, but other than screaming your heads off at the game, which I really do appreciate, students contribute diddly to this program. The alumni support is EVERYTHING and what happened last year was garbage. You might think it's your loyalty as a student fan that gets this program what it needs but it's not. The boosters must be treated with respect. The poor turnout this year is what the university deserved. Now that the problem has been fixed, as you say it has, I expect word to get around and attendance to be back up to par next year.

George Smith 4 years ago

You have no idea what occurred last year, Gerry. I have taken my family there every year since my boy was five and they have always had a problem with people cutting and year after year they never addressed it. Well, last year was a complete disaster and KU is 100% culpable. The STUDENTS, who arrived late and filled the center courtyard of AFH, bum rushed the front entrance, injuring a KU employee, and the north doors were opened by the KU staff about five minutes before the front doors, which probably caused the panic causing the rushing of the front door. Then they shut the doors and told us to wait while they counted to see how many seats were availble. Then, after waiting an hour for them to count zero empty seats, they rudely told us to leave because they were at capacity. Those students who bum rushed the doors should have all been escorted out and the people who, took off work, waited in line patiently with their small children, elderly parents and ill family members should have been given an apology and a wonderful show. Instead we were treated as if we were causing the problem by waiting around to,get in. KU Athletics and it's selfish and thoughtless students ruined the magic of late night this year, and possibly many more to come, and got what they deserved. You can't treat loyal and enthustic alumni and there families as if they don't matter, and expect support, and until KU athletics realizes this.., well fu.....

Robert Brock 4 years ago

Man, what a sad excuse! AFH had a smaller crowd than expected due to...BASEBALL?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm certain that Coach Cal will point that out to Jaylen Brown and Stephen Zimmerman when they visit Lexington next weekend...

Stephen Johnson 4 years ago

Coach Who??? Cal - oh, the former student assistant under Larry Brown at KU

Vernon Riggs 4 years ago

Let me help here, Coach Cal interviewed at Friends University when Coach Bill Carter left. He finished behind Coach Ron Heller. He wasn't good enough for Friends but was okay for uk. Do you remember him now?

Benz Junque 4 years ago

It's been 29 years since the Royals played in the playoffs. They'll have Late Night again next year 100% guaranteed. Easy decision.

Janet Olin 4 years ago

I am a true blue KU fan, but I do understand that lousy weather, parking-lot traffic on K-10, and Royals game first time in 29 yrs. could influence the attendance. This is not a reflection on people cheering on KU basketball. If the recruits are so shallow as to balk because of the above mentioned irregularities, let them go, because we don't want/need shallow wannabes.

John Randall 4 years ago

RBrock – I guess you must be one of the few who have mastered the ability to be two places at once?

Suzi Marshall 4 years ago

The accident was east bound near Eudora and was cleared by 1:30, so that probably had little to no impact.

My bet is last year's Expierences combine with the football situation has let many less motivated. A good dose of Hawk Self ball is needed.

Cody Stumma 4 years ago

No it wasn't. There was an accident west-bound that shut down K10 for a good 3 hours around 5:30.

Suzi Marshall 4 years ago

Yes you are correct. After posting the above, I was told tons of people tried to get to Lawrence from KC and ended up doing a U across the medium back to KC to watch the Royals. That could have easily accounted form 1 or 2 thousand people not making it.

Brian Wilson 4 years ago

I did not go for a combination of reasons. I live an hour away and after last year driving that far just to be left out is not an option. Plus the Royals game in my area was on TV as well as late night.

I am a Williams fund contributor, I graduated in 86, my daughter graduates next year, and what's sad is I can't hardly afford to get tickets to a decent game to recruit my other two sons into going to KU. Which brings me to another point. While standing in line last year with a lady and her 4 kids, I remember her saying that this event is the only one she can get her kids into without breaking the bank and of course all of them got shut out. She was really mad. It's not only the recruits that are affected, its the future students that end up at some other school instead of paying tuition at KU.

Somehow there needs to be a game or event for the kids and their parents to show some consideration and to indoctrinate them into the family. Eventually the high cost and the failure to accommodate is going to catch up to KU and they will be wondering what happened.

Suzi Marshall 4 years ago

It will be rough to do something for a game. I expect the negatives from last year plus occurring on fall break this year will blow over, not be reproduced next year, leading back to the customary sellout.

I'd like to see Self open a Saturday practice session, like last year, on a football game weekend. That mad for for a great day then and better next year....watch bball practice ....lunch at the new DeBruce Restaurant....football game....dinner on Mass. Getting more students into games and events like this should be a high priority but the program needs to raise funds. I hated seeming the students loose section U but fully understand.

My son will graduate next year and hand has a female friend with the last name Wilson. Surely that can not be your daughter or niece. St. James?

Titus Canby 4 years ago

What the heck is "fall break?" Do students get an entire week off this time of year?

Suzi Marshall 4 years ago

It's a PC thing. The students are off until Wednesday.

Eddie Muñoz 4 years ago

It's a two day break after midterms. It's been a thing since 2001.

Brian Wilson 4 years ago

not unless she is a music therapy major.

Rodney Crain 4 years ago

Not true Brian. Just checked a web site (they advertise on TV), that allows fans to resell tickets. Right now I can get single game tickets for Under $18 for 3 different AFH games this year, and for under $70 per ticket for 4 other games. Heck a couple were $56 each. One was as low as 15.10 per seat, corner 9. 10. I treated my sister, an 82 grad to the Texas Tech game for senior night last year. It is very easy and affordable. They use a seating chart so you can see where the seats are.

Brian Wilson 4 years ago

I have never tried online. Thanks for the tip. If that cheap we will be going.

Rodney Crain 4 years ago

Stubhub, same one that Aaron mentions below.

Brian Wilson 4 years ago

I have never tried online. Thanks for the tip. If that cheap we will be going.

Aaron Paisley 4 years ago

I got two tickets for the first game against UCSB for under $70 total on Stubhub. You just have to be willing to go to a lower quality opponent.

Tyler Daniels 4 years ago

"I live an hour away and after last year driving that far just to be left out is not an option"

Guess what? There were some STUDENTS that had camped out since the night before that were left out of last year's late night because the general public rushed across the field and created the mob. But guess what? Those same students did it again this year. Why? Because they actually care and have passion about KU athletics, something that donors do not. Yet donors still feel like they should get preferential treatment because of their wallets.

Alex Staley 4 years ago

Are you actually trying to insinuate that donors don't have passion for KU athletics? That sentence is an oxymoron. People can give their money anywhere and they choose the university. That is an indication of no passion? Huh?

Brian Wilson 4 years ago

I camped out for days before you wore diapers. I went to all games from 1981 to 1986 as a student and the in "88" I was in Kemper two years after graduating with Danny and the miracles! I camped in the snow at below zero temps outside Allen until Larry Brown let us in the inner doors to keep us warm. He even had pizza delivered. So don't give me your holier than thou we care BS! Not only do the donors care but they put their money towards what they care about. Your just butt hurt cause you don't have money. Well neither do really but I at least donate enough to be a Williams fund donor. My biggest complaint is they need to do something for those that are struggling and for prospective future students.

Benz Junque 4 years ago

Good grief. I know many people who were able to get GA tickets to several games for face value right through the ticket office last year. Less than $30 bucks a ticket. Just stop.

Cody Stumma 4 years ago

Meh. Late Night is boring. Went one year, and was bored to death. Haven't bothered to go back since.

John Randall 4 years ago

Boring? A night of frivolity IS different from triple overtime against a conference foe, but then so is a trip to Disney World different from the Metropolitan Opera . . .

Hint: you can be bored anytime, anyplace if you are determined enough to be bored – it may even give you a feeling of superiority if you are warped badly enough.

Eddie Muñoz 4 years ago

The Royals, yeah, but it's also Fall Break so a lot of students went home for the weekend.

Randy Glenn 4 years ago

Having the open practice last year was a great idea and excellent way to get young kids in...I hope that is continued!! It made up for not gettin in to Late Night. Hard to believe someone would blame the general public for the rush last year...clearly not what happened from my spot in line!!

Jonathan Allison 4 years ago

This is not the first time that Late Night has occuring during Fall Break. Ths IS the first time that I remember it not being a packed house.

I only attended once and it was my Sr. year in 2006. It was during fall break, it was a capacity crowd, and it was following a first round exit against Bradley. Incoming freshmen were Cole and Sherron.

Seems to me that the accident on I-10 combined with people not wanting to travel from distance only to be turned away like last year probably resulted in the empty seats.